• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great writing blklizard! Really great considering english isn't your main language. KUTGW

Thanks! Welcome aboard! Your feedback means a lot to me. Sadly, I couldn't update this AAR more often with all the other current AARs. So, please be patient with my updates :p.

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 2)

[September 11, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

"Meow!"

Everyone except Mathias turned around to locate the source of the noise. Soon, they pinpointed the kitten staring back at them with curiosity.

"That's Pebbles. I named it after Sophie's cat." Mathias typed a few commands when he noticed the three men staring at him. He looked back and saw confusion on their face. "Oh, I see you haven't read my brother's work. It's not stellar writing but I still enjoyed the stories." Mathias returned to his desktop and loaded the saved game. Moments later, he was in the game and immediately took a screenshot of the world map. Mathias then printed the screenshot and gave it to the three men.

8K0aoxV.png

The three men were immediately overwhelmed by what they were given. The landmasses were obvious but the colors seemed to be all over the place. They looked at each other with puzzlement trying to decipher a seemingly impossible code. Then, they noticed Mathias smiling at them and turned their attention to him.

Mathias, seeing that he got their attention, patiently pointed at his monitor. "There's a lot of ground to cover. Even someone like me need time to decipher this. My approach would be you three pick a continent and we will focus there. I will try my best clarifying the mess."

The three men nodded in agreement of the approach and sat down in nearby chairs. They discussed with each other for a short while before deciding their first continent would be North America. Mathias returned to the game and moved his cursor until he was looking directly at North America.

nLxw6RU.png

Note: Still trying to figure how I'll approach this. I'll leave this map with you so you readers can appreciate the mess :p.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 41 (part 3)

[September 11, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

"What should we start with?" Mathias waited a few seconds and, after getting no response, turned around seeing the three men still trying to wrap their head around the map.

Sam looked up. "Um, is there an easier way to do this?"

Mathias chuckled and shook his head. "It's fine if you don't want to do it. It's going to take a long while."

"Alright," said Jason with a sigh. "Let's do this. I think we should start with the large section of red colored land (1)."

"Ah, excellent choice." Mathias turned back to his monitor. "Each color represents a nation. The red nation is England."

"England?" asked Sam. "They're not UK yet?"

"I'm afraid not," answered Mathias. "The game starts historical but many factors changes the world greatly. Sadly, England looks like she won't be forming UK in this game."

"Where's Canada?" asked Jason.

"Canada is the scattered green nation (4). It ain't pretty."

"How about USA?" asked Justin.

Mathias took a short while going through North America looking through all the nations. He then nodded. "Well, that's interesting."

"What?" the three men asked in unison.

"There's technically two. We have the United States in light blue (20) and Confederate States in white (19)."

"Seeing them fractured and narrowed," said Sam, "I would think we could find our clues with Canada, United States and Confederate States. Mathias, are you able to pinpoint their location?"

"I could." Mathias zoomed into the game. "I'm afraid that the game is separated into provinces, I can only provide you with a rough approximation of their exact position."

"That's fine with me," said Sam as he took out his notebook. "Go ahead."

"We have: Kaasasteki, Mandan, Moose Cree, Cree, Erie, Mohawk, Pocumtuk, Massachusetts, Narraganset, Connecticut, Conoy, Manahoac, Powhatan and Pamlico." Mathias double checked everything before giving Sam a nod.

"I'm afraid my geography isn't that great," said Sam.

"We have the internet, don't we?" Mathias went online and began typing in the names. "I can't find anything on Kaasasteki but Manda seems to suggest North Dakota so I'm going to assume Kaasasteki is Manitoba. Moose Cree is northeastern Ontario while Cree is northwestern Quebec. Erie encompasses Ohio and Pennsylvania. Mohawk and Pocumtuk covers modern day New York and Vermont. The next three shouldn't need any explanation. Conoy is also part of Pennsylvania while the remaining three provinces cover the following states: Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina." Mathias turned around to the trio. "Any questions?"

The three men looked at each other with shrugs.

"That was North America. We have five more continents to cover." Mathias nearly burst out laughing seeing the expression on the men.

"Mathias," said Jason, "why don't you just give us a summary of what pops out as unusual in the game?"

Mathias scrolled out and scanned the world carefully. "Hungary is enormous but that is expected since my brother played that nation. South America is basically divided between two Iberian powers, Leon and Castille. In Asia, India is almost unified while Japan has expanded into China. The world is very different with the game but these are what I noticed being the most obvious. A more careful analysis might be needed but it has been a long day. I doubt any of us are willing to proceed. Should that conclude our meeting?"

The three men nodded and thanked Mathias for his help. They got into the vehicle and stayed silent for a minute or two. Sam looked at his notes again and shook his head.

"Well, we got something."

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 41 (part 4)

[September 11, 1991]

(Apatity, Soviet Union)

A little boy chatted excitedly with his classmates about their upcoming field trip to a coastal city while they waited outside a train station. They noticed soldiers guarding the parameter but the adults reassured them that nothing was wrong. Out of nowhere, several gunshots were heard and a few soldiers lay on the ground bleeding or dying. The remaining soldiers opened fire at the approaching enemy soldiers and a gunfight would ensue.

“Mother! Father!” shouted the little boy but his cries were drowned out by the gunfire.

Someone suddenly picked the boy up and started carrying him to the nearest railcar.

“Let me go!” complained the little boy as he tried to push the man away. The little boy felt something warm and sticky on his hands and stopped his struggles. “You are hurt,” he said.

The man tried to give a reassuring smile to the boy and responded, “I’m fine.”

“Where are my parents?” asked the little boy.

The smile disappeared and the man stopped before a railcar. The man turned around briefly to assess the situation when he heard an explosion nearby.

“Stay strong,” said the man before he put the little boy in a railcar and closed the door behind him.

The train started moving and it picked up speed leaving the gunfight behind like a forgotten dream. The boy tried to stand up when he felt extreme pain in his right arm. He reached over with his left hand and felt his sleeve drenched in blood. Alone in the dark with pain in his right arm, the boy suddenly realized that he was alone and that his parents were nowhere to be found. Trying to find comfort, he reached into his pocket with his uninjured hand and took out a wooden horse. He held onto it as the train reached its top speed heading to the coastal town of Murmansk.

[September 11, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

Yazov jolted from his sleep from the same nightmare that has haunted him for twenty two years. He could still remembered the gunshots and explosions clearly along with the face of the stranger. He reached across his body to touch the scar on his right arm. He was fortunate the bullet missed anything vital or he would have been dead or maimed. Yazov rubbed his forehead waiting for his heart to slow down. He looked around until he focused on the calendar on the wall. He got off his bed and walked over to the wall. Looking at the calendar, he noticed that exactly twenty two years have passed since he became an orphan. Turning around, he stared at an old wooden horse sitting quietly on the bookshelf. The horse was the last birthday gift from his parents. Yazov found fate to be cruel in coinciding his birthday with the exact date he lost his parents. Suddenly remembering something, he turned around and looked at the words written onto the calendar. The fear from the nightmare suddenly disappeared when he realized what this day would also bring. Smiling, Yazov grabbed his coat and shoes before running to join his friends in what would be a glorious day for his people.

Last edited:
I know all that was important, but UNIFIED JAPAN SMACKING DOWN CHINA?!?!? Heresy, I say you.
That Poland is in the way of your Hungary, someone needs to do something about that.

I'll comment on the last 2 chapters later, I really need to finish this piece of work up before I go home :)

I know all that was important, but UNIFIED JAPAN SMACKING DOWN CHINA?!?!? Heresy, I say you.
That Poland is in the way of your Hungary, someone needs to do something about that.

I'll comment on the last 2 chapters later, I really need to finish this piece of work up before I go home :)

Yup, Japan went on a rampage against China that was still very much fractured. Quite realistic, I must say. Sadly, the world map is the final map to be shown in the story. The EU3 game has served its purpose in deciding future events and we will head into the unknown with it for the rest of the way.

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 5)

[September 11, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

Justin drove on the street when he suddenly heard gunshots around him. His instinct kicked in as he braked suddenly to pinpoint where the gunshots were coming from. Soon, he gathered that the gunmen, clearly more than one from the shots fired, were behind him closing in. Thus, he stepped on the gas hoping to get away as quickly as he could. Justin weaved through the traffic that has stopped with people getting out their vehicles to satisfy their curiosity of the gunshots. Sam and Jason were relieved that their seat belts were keeping them inside the vehicle during Justin's reckless driving. As Justin was about to turn onto the highway, he braked just in time to catch sight of a rare sight. Several tanks were moving along the highway halting all traffic. In addition, soldiers were forcing civilians out of their vehicles and herding them towards an open field. Unsure what has transpired, Justin took a U-turn and stepped on the gas driving back the way he came from. He knew that he was cut off from the airport and needed another way out for his friend. He recalled a small airstrip that might still be accessible given that it didn't see much air traffic. The airstrip was located in the suburbs which was half an hour drive from his location. He hoped he was right and, just as he turned a corner, he found himself blocked off by three gunmen wielding rifles. One of them lowered his weapon anticipating Justin to stop but the man had no intention of getting stopped. Instead, he picked up speed and, by the time the three men reacted to what was taking place, it was already too late as they were sent flying by the impact. Justin never stopped to check on the men knowing that they were either dead or maimed for life. His goal was to get to the airstrip which overrode everything else, especially not getting stopped by dangerous men with weapons. The vehicle sustained some damage in the front but it was still working well.

Justin kept his focus on the road while Sam and Jason constantly looked back to see if anyone was pursuing them. Justin picked a road that was rarely used and there wasn't a vehicle to be seen for miles. He was content that he didn't have to weave around traffic while driving at the top speed. Twenty five minutes passed and the airstrip was within sight. Justin saw a few private propeller aircraft waiting on the runway. Justin hoped his vehicle could last a little longer at its top speed while he maneuvered the vehicle onto the runway. Unable to brake in time, the vehicle was driven right through the front gate surprising the guard who rushed out to intercept the vehicle. Once the vehicle was ground to a screeching halt, Justin got out and showed his identification to the guard. Before the guard had time to check the authenticity of the ID, Justin immediately asked questions about what aircraft were readily available to take off. The guard pointed to an aircraft that was fully fueled and ready to be taken off by its owner later into the day. Justin told the guard that he would be taking the aircraft and would take full responsibility. Before the guard could stop him, Justin, Sam and Jason were already making their way across the runway and got into the aircraft. Justin took the cockpit while the other two men got themselves comfy in the back.

"Does he know how to fly this?" Jason asked Sam.

Justin overheard the question despite the propellers making a large racket. "I took a few flying courses," he shouted over the noise.

"How many is a few?" Sam couldn't help asking.

"Three classes so far. My instructor says I have potential."

Sam and Jason looked at each other with fear evident on their expressions. Before either of them could say anything, Justin set the aircraft into gear as the plane started moving on the runway. The plane picked up speed and soon took off. Justin made a quick sweep of the area before he finally decided on his destination. With smoothness of a veteran, he changed the course and the plane obeyed without any complaint.

"Just a heads up," said Justin as he tried to lighten the mood, "I've taken courses for two years now. So we should be fine unless we get terrible conditions ahead of us."

"Or if we get shot down," said Jason who noticed a military helicopter following behind them.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 41 (part 6)

[September 11, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

Jason kept his eyes on the helicopter while waiting for a response from Justin. When he received none, he turned his attention to the pilot and repeated what he said. Justin told Jason that they had nothing to worry back before returning his focus on piloting the plane. Sam turned around and noted that the distance between them was widening and breathed a sigh of relief. Jason finally let out of his breath while he took a look at his surroundings. He asked Justin where they were headed only to receive New Zealand as an answer. Jason pondered on the answer for a split second before he pointed out that their plane couldn't possibly reach there on its fuel. Justin laughed as he agreed wholeheartedly that the plane won't make it. Sam and Jason remained puzzled over what the man had in mind when he finally admitted that they needed help to get there. Justin explained that, with what was taking place in Australia, the New Zealand Navy would no doubt be patrolling the waters between the two nations. He would wait until they were out at sea before trying to establish a link with one of the ships. The ideal scenario would be them crash land into the waters and get rescued by New Zealand sailors who will get them to safety. Justin also claimed to have a few friends in New Zealand who could help them out. For the next hour or so, the trio remained silent as they left behind an Austria enveloped in chaos.

-meanwhile-

Yazov was slightly annoyed that none of his friends woke him from his sleep. They have already left with the main group in overthrowing the Australian government to establish a new regime. Yazov's group was known as the Resurrected Soviet Union, or abbreviated as RSU. They were the generation that left the Soviet Union before its collapse under the rule of the corrupt Gorbachev. The oldest children that left the country was only ten years old while the youngest was only four years old. These children were evacuated across the world to avoid the persecution of those loyal to Gorbachev. Luck would play a major factor in that many of these children, along with their guardians, were brought to Australia to start a new life. The guardians allowed the children to go to school like everyone else but they also established their own classes at night to prevent the new generations from getting corrupted by the teachings of capitalists. While the guardians raised the new generation, they also sought to empower themselves by taking active part in Australian politics. After a few decades of hard work, members of the RSU began to have a major presence in the government despite not having a majority.

Yazov was part of an evacuation that was mostly thwarted by the military who saw the RSU as a dangerous organization. Gorbachev wanted to end the Soviet Union and create a new Russia which was a very radical idea. The RSU opposed the idea and made themselves viewed as enemies to change. Thus, Gorbachev looked to eliminate the obstacles to his goal. Yazov barely escaped but many of his friends, including his parents, were killed that day. Yazov was one of the few survivors and, after someone provided him with medical care, was shipped out to Australia in one of the many ships docked at Murmansk. Yazov made many new friends who were in similar situation as him. They have lost their family and friend with their home taken away from them. The common struggle has banded them together forging strong bonds. It was these very friends that forgot to wake Yazov but the man bear no ill will to them. He headed into the kitchen where he grabbed some food for breakfast. Sitting down at the dining room, Yazov turned on the television and watched the developing news. The screen showed armed soldiers and tanks roaming the streets herding civilians into designated locations. Yazov would have preferred to be part of it but he was content to seeing the changes on television as he dug into his big breakfast.

Yazov then looked around at what has been his home for two decades. He and his friends, along with many others evacuated from the Soviet Union, lived in underground caverns that once served as mines. With the gold rushes taking ahold of the nation, many people came to Australia in hopes to striking a vein. It was hectic back then with people digging everywhere in hopes to achieving that dream. As a result, many mines were dug out around Sydney only to be abandoned when no gold was discovered. The mines remained abandoned until the member of the RSU arrived searching for temporary homes. The mines provided good shelter from the elements and no rent was needed. As more children arrived, the members worked to expand the cavern until they were housing a large number of people. As time passed, more changes were made so the mines became habitable. Soon, there was electricity and running water thanks to members of RSU that obtained offices in the government. Thus, Yazov and his generation lived in the cavern where they were raised into adults looking to rebuild the Soviet Union. Their first step would be taking control of the nation of Australia.

Hmmm, Australia in anarchy. I went and had another look at that map, isn't that one major power developing in Southeast Asia, controlling Australia, Indonesia and the Phillipines, as well as land in southern China.
Things are beginning to make sense, I think... How did I not realise so before!

edit: wait. did I see that right? No, that can't be. Is either Morocco or Mali unifying that part of Africa?

Hmmm, Australia in anarchy. I went and had another look at that map, isn't that one major power developing in Southeast Asia, controlling Australia, Indonesia and the Phillipines, as well as land in southern China.

edit: wait. did I see that right? No, that can't be. Is either Morocco or Mali unifying that part of Africa?

Some things won't become apparent until the story progress further. As for Northwest Africa, Morocco did a good job expanding in that direction. One thing I enjoy with the Death and Taxes MOD is that it provides these very interesting situations.

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 7)

[September 11, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

Yazov finished his breakfast and continued watching television. He didn't want to head out during the chaos when he might be mistaken as an ordinary civilian. The news went on for a few more minutes before their recording went blank suggesting that the television station has fallen under the RSU's control. Few minutes later, the news returned with a new figure taking center stage. The figure introduced himself as Novikov Yakovich but members of RSU call him Premier Yakovich. On television, Yakovich's charisma shown through as he used both his tongue and looks to calm down the civilians. He stated that the corrupt government has been overthrown seeing a new chapter in Australian history. Yakovich also promised that no harm will come to those who subjugate to the new governing body. With the army and air force at his disposal, Yazov knew that one would be foolish to openly oppose the Premier. Yakovich continued with a long and aspiring speech that nearly brought Yazov to tears and, once he finished, Yazov cheered on the Premier knowing that his applause couldn't be heard by the man. As if in response, cheers and applause erupted inside the studio with Yakovich basking in the glory. Once the cheers and applause subsided, Yakovich made a final attempt on live television in convincing the Australian population to put down their arms and be willing to submit to the new Australia.

Yazov scoffed at how easy it was to overthrow the Australian government. The recession has hit the nation fairly hard with its unemployment numbers rising steadily. Many families were struggling to make ends meet but the government parties were too busy bashing each other to secure votes for the next election. The empty promises made by political figures have frustrated the populace and many were ready for change. Of course, Yazov knew many of their ideas of change weren't quite as radical as the overthrow of the previous government. Surprisingly, there were still plenty of people eager to join the RSU seeing an opportunity for a better future. Yazov was, however, not really worried about the Australian population but, instead, concerned about the attitude of foreign nations, especially the USA. Establishing stability within Australia seemed like a simple task once the people saw the benefits under the new government. Compared to the domestic challenges, dealing with the international criticism and possible American aggression was at a whole different level. The Americans have used their military might whenever they felt it necessary and a new Communist State would surely fit in their requirement. Yazov paced in the room where the television has gone blank again. He has yearned for this day for a long time and would even give up his life to keep it going. Unsure when his friends will return and being very restless, Yazov returned to his room to lie down on his bed. He stared at the ceiling hoping for some message to appear before him that showed him the solutions to future problems.

(Off the Coast of Sydney, Australia)

The trio stayed silent until Justin went through a series of switches with the passengers watching. Justin called into the radio but he received no response. He kept his course towards New Zealand while continuously talking into the voice radios. After a few tries, he changed the frequency and repeated the process a couple of times. Just as he was about to give up, he received a response that demanded his identity. Justin spoke steadily that they escaped Australia where radical groups were creating chaos. He asked for assistance and waited a minute or two before another response came. The other side provided him with coordinates of the ship where Justin was expected to meet up. Justin went through the instruments and made proper changes in their course as the aircraft made steady progress towards the ship. While the distance between the aircraft and the ship was closing, Justin started a conversation learning that they were heading towards an American aircraft carrier. Justin found it disturbing to see American ships this far south but this was one of the few moments he was glad such was the case. Apparently, Australian naval officers managed to send requests for aid to the patrolling American navy nearby before they were silenced. The small American fleet arrived to investigate the calls and, by pure luck, managed to establish a communication link with Justin. Justin briefly explained the situation of Australia on the radio which greatly disturbed the captain aboard the carrier. He was given the order to land aboard the carrier where he could give a proper report on Australia.

What map are you speaking of?

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 8)

[September 11, 2013]

(Something in the Pacific)

Justin spoke with the captain aboard the American carrier seeing the captain's expression turning more grim by the second. When he finished, the captain claimed that he would ask for permission to engage the rebels when one of his men arrived with an urgent message from headquarters. The captain grabbed the document and skimmed through it before scrunching the paper. Justin asked him what was the matter only to be told that terrorists have attacked American soil once again. The news startled Justin along with Sam and Jason who stood behind him. The captain didn't go into details as he was too busy giving orders to his men to change course back home. Sam watched the chaos inside the room and knew that something big has happened. Normally, a terrorist bombing may spark some outrage but it would never force the USN to pull its navy. He waited patiently for the captain to finish with his orders before approaching him cautiously. Sam introduced himself and asked for details of the terrorist strike. He was absolutely shocked to learn that twelve nuclear bombs were detonated leveling twelve cities on the east coast in the process. Without thinking, he reached into his bag retrieving the world map printed in Australia. He took a careful scan on the map and noted that the United States territory on the map coincided with some locations of the bombing. The captain, curious with what Sam was looking at, peeked at the mess on the paper.

"What is this map?" asked the captain. "Seems like a game."

"I arrived in Australia hoping to find clues to a case. It just seems odd that there are some strange coincidences here."

"It's a big mess. What are you looking at?"

"I'm looking at the territory covered in baby blue." Sam pointed at the spot. "In the game, this is United States. I find it odd that it coincided with a few of the bombed cities."

The captain started laughing. "I can assure you that one doesn't need a map to figure this out. The twelve places they targeted were twelve of the thirteen colonies. I'm not surprised you Canadians aren't great with American geography."

Sam thought over the captain's words seeing sense in them. However, he still couldn't shake the feeling that the bombings and the map were connected somehow. With Australia in the hands of the rebels, there was no way he could speak with Mathias. His thoughts were interrupted by the captain.

"You three must be exhausted. I hope you don't mind bunk beds. Get some rest and we will get you once we arrive at San Diego."

The trio thanked the captain before they were led by a sailor to one of the rooms. The three of them sat on their separate beds trying to get a grasp of what has transpired. Sam studied the faces of his friends only to see sadness and exhaustion. He persuaded the other two to get some shuteye so they could work more efficiently the next day. Justin and Jason fell asleep almost instantly but Sam found himself tossing and turning in bed with sleep eluding him. He pondered on the captain's words but found no fault with his deduction. Instead, he took out the map and scanned the whole map looking for clues. He noticed a purple color controlling parts of Australia and wondered if so many coincidences can happen on the same day. Next, he thought back to the discussion with Mathias and turned his attention immediately to Japan. Japan was becoming a major power in the game which, according to Mathias, is quite rare in itself. It didn't help that Japan was once a victim of not one, but two, nuclear bombs. The more he thought about it, the more he believed the twelve nuclear bombs had an association with Japan in some ways. As he tried to find the connection, the sleep that has eluded him finally came seeing the old man asleep with the map tightly gripped in his hands.

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 9)

[September 11, 2013]

(Something in the Pacific)

The captain aboard the carrier was staring at the map when one of his men arrived with news of a fleet approaching them. The man explained that the fleet wasn't responding to their calls which made their motive rather suspicious. The captain pondered over his options before giving orders for all ships to prepare for battle. With the latest attack on American soil, he wasn't going to take risk with an unidentified fleet. The man left in a hurry to pass on the orders to all nearby ships while the captain went over his map searching for the origins of these ships. According to the information he had on enemy position, he quickly concluded that the ships arrived from some parts of Latin America. With USA in disarray following the terrorist attack, the captain had no way to confirm the theory. Instead of spending more time figuring out the incoming fleet, the captain watched from the bridge staring out into the ocean and picked out some ships in the distance. He told his radioman to be on standby as he waited for the other fleet to make the first move. If a shot was fired by the other ships, the captain had the authorization to return fire as self defense. He waited patiently as the distance between the two fleets closed. Meanwhile, several aircraft aboard the carrier have already taken to the air where they awaited for their orders.

Sam felt a slight tremor thinking that his son was playing metal with his band in the basement again. However, the tremors became larger by the second and he felt himself getting shook by someone. Reluctantly, he opened his eyes to see Justin looking down with worry. While he stared back at his friend, Sam noticed that the map was still in his hands.

"I thought we lost you, old friend. Worried your heart just gave out during the tremors."

Sam smiled back until another large tremor had him sit up looking left and right. He realized that the tremors weren't a dream but, instead, the terrible reality that was shaping up. Sam watched as Jason stood at the doorway calling for somebody. Yet, the hallways were abandoned with the trio finding themselves alone. Now that he was fully awake, Sam could also make out explosions nearby and it frightened him. The expressions on Justin and Jason said the same for them.

"What should we do?" asked Jason.

Sam could tell from Jason's body language that he didn't like being cooped up below deck. "Let's get to the bridge to speak with the captain." Sam turned to Justin who returned an approving nod.

The trio made their way with Jason leading the way and Justin covering the rear. Jason navigated the interior of the carrier well and the three of them soon found themselves outside the bridge. Jason poked his head in and called out for the captain who was watched the battle outside. The captain turned around and was initially surprised to see the trio. Then, he shook his head and approached them.

"I apologize for not informing you of the situation. The battle happened quite suddenly." The captain gestured to the trio to follow him to the windows where the battle could be clearly seen. Sam would normally be thrilled to see a naval drill but he knew this battle was anything but a drill. Men would die in this battle and ships will be sunk. He watched the ships firing at each other while jets rained down missiles onto enemy ships. Aboard the deck of the carrier, there were debris and men rushing to put out fires. It was complete chaos and, being the inexperienced battlefield analyst he was, Sam had no idea how the battle was developing. He could only hope that they were winning and the carrier would remain intact after the battle. Sam had no intentions of going for a swim in the Pacific. The trio were so still mesmerized by the battle that seemed to came out of Hollywood. Beside them, the captain remained calm and, at times, gave orders to the radioman to relay to ships or jets in the air.

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 10)

[September 11, 2013]

(Brasilia, Brazil)

General Cardoso sat in his new office that belonged to the previous president and admitted that he like it very much. Compared to his old office that was plain, the change was very welcoming. Cardoso, at the moment, wasn't checking out how wonderful his new office was. Instead, he pored over a map trying to locate the coordinate of his mighty navy in the Pacific. One of his allies was sent to intercept a navy in the Pacific which Cardoso had no interest in whatsoever. The general had his eyes on the bigge prize called the United States of America. Few minutes ago, he was given the new coordinates of the Brazilian navy that was heading to the North American west coast. The fleet has already traveled through the Panama Canal a few hours ago and it was approaching American soil quickly. Cardoso finally found the coordinates he was given and did some quick estimates in his head. Just then, someone knocked on the door. Cardoso wasn't happy to be interrupted but he knew it must be important.

"Come in," said Cardoso impatiently.

The door opened and entered a charismatic young man who resembled Cardoso. The general looked up and a smile immediately formed on his face.

"My son! What brings you here?" Cardoso gestured for his son to sit in the empty chair across from him.

"I am here to congratulate you, father, on your new promotion." The son sat down and offered a handshake which the general took.

"It's too early to congratulate me. We still have a powerful enemy to deal with. They are like a lion that would rip us apart if given the chance."

The son pointed at USA on the map. "Our ally has removed the teeth and claws of this lion. We are merely facing off against a large, harmless cat."

General Cardoso shook his head. "Don't underestimate the Americans, my son. They are a group of resilient people who can fight as well as you and me."

"Father, I think you overestimate them. They will trouble us no more by tomorrow. Our grand navy shall clear out the west coast and forever silence this lion you speak of."

Cardoso stood up and walked to the windows overlooking the capital. "Listen, son." The smile on the son disappeared as he caught the change of the general's mood in his voice. "The fight to defeat the Americans will be a long one. There were many that made the mistake of belittling them and they are now dead. Remember this, son. Don't make such mistakes or Brazil will pay for it. Got that?"

"Yes, father."

The son felt like he was a young schoolboy getting a lecture from his father. Despite reaching twenty a week ago, he still feared his father and for good reasons. General Cardoso wasn't a man one cross unless one was willing to sign a death warrant. The son's older sister made that mistake and now she was decomposing in the ground somewhere in the wilderness. No one can prove Cardoso was responsible but the son caught hints from his father's conversation which he eavesdropped. He wished to live long enough to accomplish a single dream that was the only reason he was still living.

Two hours later, the son has left the office leaving the general alone again. The general waited impatiently for the message he was expecting to arrive any moment. Then, the knock arrived the Cardoso gave the person permission to enter. The person closed the door and read the message from where he stood.

Dear General Cardoso,

We have just arrived outside the American coast. They have yet to notice our presence but we doubt that would be the case for long. I wish to hear whether we will commence with our plan. San Diego is within our sights and only a few minutes would be needed for us to begin a bombardment. I have received word that our ally has engaged with an American navy in the Pacific which may alert out enemy of our intent. I seek, with urgency, your decision on this matter. I know your decision will forever change the Brazilian history.

Admiral Caio Carvalho

The messenger waited for the general to give his reply.

"Attack!" said the general a split second later.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 41 (part 11)

[September 11, 2013]

(San Diego, USA)

The unsuspecting people walked along the pier as they did everyday. Not one of them looked out to see so they could catch sight of a navy approaching them. Even if they did notice, the sight of a navy wasn't a rare sight for those working in the San Diego Naval Base. The sun was shining and the sky was clear of skies. Military personnel were more busy in gathering information about the twelve bombings in the east. These people, oblivious to what was about to happen, would soon see hell break loose. For the moment, they went about their business content that San Diego wasn't targeted in the bombing. From the information they gathered so far, it was clear that the cities hit by the nuclear bombs have been completely leveled.

The Brazilian fleet moved into position soon after its admiral receive the orders from the new President of Brazil. The admiral was surprised to see no action taken by the American ships docked in the naval base but he didn't hesitate to attack the unprepared enemy. Truth be told, he would prefer to not lose any ships in this engagement. The Brazilian navy was still small compared to the USN, despite the recent nuclear bombs that wiped out a couple of ships on the east coast. The order was given by the admiral moments later and the ships opened fire upon the naval base. Their initial targets were the ships seeing several instantly burst in flames following a few volleys. Once all the ships were set aflame, the pier and facilities were targeted next where neither civilians nor military personnel were spared. By the time the headquarters in the naval base reacted, they have already taken too much damage and were forced to request reinforcements from elsewhere.

The people walking on the pier froze when they heard an explosion nearby. Many turned to look at a fire aboard one of the docked ships. Some wondered whether an accident took place but several more volleys convinced them that this wasn't an accident. These people scattered as they tried to find cover. Some ran into nearby buildings but the bombardments were shifting to the pier seeing these buildings offer little protection. The buildings were leveled and the bombardment covered every inch of the naval base with the sole objective of crippling the operation. The bombardment, while lasting only a few minutes, seemed to last an infinity to those under fire. The sudden halt in the bombardment had the people worrying about what the enemy had in store next. No one dared to come out of their hiding spot fearing that a shell might be waiting for them the moment they show their face.

The Brazilian fleet opened fire for several minutes but the admiral suddenly received news that an American fleet was arriving from the west. His intelligence reported that one fleet was docked in San Diego while several other fleets were elsewhere too far to intercept them. The only fleet that was in the vicinity was intercepted by an ally fleet which would have provided them ample time to cripple the base. The arrival of the fleet had the admiral immediately ordering a withdraw for his forces. He had little idea how large the enemy fleet was and didn't plan on staying to fight. The Brazilian fleet made a hasty withdraw but they weren't quick enough to avoid the Americans altogether. The American fleet had two aircraft carriers that were filled to the full aircraft capacity. The American multirole fighters were launched to the sky and, after the damage the Brazilian fleet delivered to the San Diego Naval Base, the pilots were seeking blood.

The fighters moved swiftly across the sky and began a bombing run on the Brazilian fleet. Their first run saw no return fire with several enemy ships set on fire. The Brazilian admiral immediately ordered his men to return fire on their AA weapons which soon made it tougher for the fighters to get close. The battle lasted a few minutes seeing the Brazilian fleet eventually withdrawing further south. The Americans didn't give chase as they returned to San Diego to check up on the damage. The short engagement would eventually sink five Brazilian cruisers due to fire while a few destroyers were in dire need of repairs. With the bombardment, Brazil has officially declared war on USA which was another problem to add to the Americans' to do list.

The American president is running out of wall in the Oval Office to pin his "to-do" list on, I'm afraid. Or you know, whatever office he now uses.

The American president is running out of wall in the Oval Office to pin his "to-do" list on, I'm afraid. Or you know, whatever office he now uses.

The poor American President definitely didn't sign up for this. We will get to him shortly at a funeral.

Section III

Chapter 41 (part 12)

[September 11, 2013]

(Somewhere in the Pacific)

The trio watched as the battle raged outside. None of them were certain who was winning but they did notice that less explosions were happening near them. The radioman has been relaying the situation of the battle to the admiral and, from what they gathered, things were looking up. The radioman claimed that several enemy vessels were sunk while the remaining ships were withdrawing. The fighters did pursue for a short distance before they were called back to the carrier. The trio watched the fighters landing onto the battered runway aboard the carrier. The fires that were started early has been put out with the tense atmosphere within bridge disappear now that the battle has ended. Sam waited for the admiral to take a seat before he approached the man.

"I assume that we won?"

The admiral rubbed away the seat on his forehead. "We fought those cowards off. We didn't lose any ships but a few will require repairs."

"Who were they?"

The admiral looked up shaking his head. "I wish I knew. They didn't have flags aboard their ships but I could hazard a guess."

"Don't tell me they are from South America?" Sam watched the admiral nod his head before turning to the window.

There were still smoke rising from areas that were set aflame and Sam could see the crew on the runway working to get all the aircraft landed and docked. Now that the action was over, Sam suddenly found himself very fatigued. He also noticed that he was still grasping the map in his hands. He took a look at the map but the yellow and peach colors in South America gave no indication of anything unusual. After carefully folding the map, Sam stuffed it into his pocket before joining his friends who were glued to the window. Watching the fighters landing one after another was an incredible sight and, had a battle not taken place earlier, the trio may have welcomed such a view. They were simply relieved the battle was over.

"Admiral! Our naval base at San Diego has been attacked." The radioman shouted across the bridge.

Time seemed to stand still seeing the admiral and the trio freeze in place. The admiral told the man to repeat what he said but the message was still the same. The admiral then stood up and punched the nearby support bruising his knuckles.

"What a stupid mess!"

No one could argue his point so everyone stayed silent. The silence dragged on for a few moments until the admiral sat back down.

"Set course for San Diego. If the damage there is serious, we may need to head to a different naval base for repairs."

The fleet moved steadily towards San Diego with its speed set by the slowest ship that was badly damaged in the fight earlier. The trio returned to their room where they didn't speak to each other as they absorbed everything that was taking place. As they laid in bed, they fell asleep one by one only to wake up when the carrier docked into a port.

Section III

Chapter 42 (part 1)

[September 12, 2013]

(Washington DC, USA)

A large crowd gathered outside the White person. No one spoke a word as a gentle breeze passed by. A 19-gun salute, separated by one minute interval, would shatter the silence at noon followed by the American flag lowered to half-staff. Soon after, a 50-gun salute would sound off with each round representing a state that were separated by a five-second interval. Most in the crowd watch on while a few were weeping. Then, the President stepped onto a podium set up only minutes ago. He stood tall and stared at the crowd along with the cameras in the back. His expression betrayed nothing as he cleared his throat for his speech.

"My fellow Americans, we are gathered here to remember those who have fallen. Most of them weren't soldiers but, like you and me, they were ordinary civilians leading ordinary lives. Many of them or their parents or even grandparents came to our great nation with the promise of a better life. They knew that, in our nation, hard work would be rewarded. They traveled across oceans in search of a new life. With a new life, they have new hopes and new dreams. The younger generations worked hard at school, formed a family and kept working to the top. They live in a nation called the United States of America because they know that their dreams can come true here. They had great hopes and great potential which, in our nation, meant nothing was impossible. Some of them were teachers and doctors. Others might be the worker you see on the road or the cashier behind the counter of a fast food restaurant. There were those studying at school getting their diplomas with the promise of better opportunities. There were also those that were just learning how to speak or even to walk. People, young and old, were living their everyday lives aiming for the top. Nothing could stop them as long as they put their minds to it. As long as they had hope.

Yet, their hopes were dashed yesterday. They went about their lives and never saw it coming. So many people with a promising future ahead of them had their lives ended suddenly. These people wished no harm on others. They believed in freedom and justice which our nation stands for. Their righteous beliefs have, unfortunately, made enemies in the Middle East. These enemies are a small group of men who pose a threat to all Western nations. They only know how to create pain and suffering. Their radical ideas just happened to oppose the values we cherish. Because of a difference in beliefs, they wished harm upon this. Let me state that this wasn't just another car bomb or a suicide bomber. No terrorists hijacked planes this day so they could make us relive the 9/11 attack. No! This is a crime that far exceeds those. These monsters acquired the weapons of mass destruction and didn't hesitate to use them. They have detonated nuclear bombs that have leveled our cities, wiped out millions in seconds and created far too many wounds to count. Even this moment, I know they are laughing. They are celebrating this occasion where we are weeping. Where we are grieving for our loved ones. Our hearts are bleeding while our tears fall steadily. We watch the news as the reporters tell us of the aftermath. I don't know about you but, every time I see an injured child carried by a rescuer, I felt a bit of me gone. These were the future of America!

The terrorists may believe they have won. They may believe they have dealt a death blow that would cripple our nation. They are wrong! We Americans won't back down against this threat. We have been the greatest nation on Earth and have endured so much in history. We fought for our independence against overwhelming odds. We survived two world wars where we played decisive roles in winning them. We have outlasted the Soviet Union during the Cold War. We have overcame so many tests which only made our nation stronger. The events yesterday make no difference. We will grieve for those we lost. We will shed tears for those who were close to us. We may spend the next few days recalling the memories we shared with them. Then, we will rebuild our lives. Rebuild our nation. We will show the terrorists that we haven't lost hope. With hope, we can accomplish anything. With hope, the twelve cities that have been leveled will be rebuilt. With hope, we will send troops to the Middle East to avenge those who have fallen. The terrorists have made a mistake antagonizing us and we will show them the price one pays for attacking American people on American soil. We tried to be diplomatic seeking a peaceful solution but our enemies refuse to work with us. Their attack is the final straw. Let us band together as we walk forward towards a much brighter future. A future without terrorists to hurt our people. A future where generations after generations can build upon our great nation. A future you and I may call Utopia!

Section III

Chapter 42 (part 2)

[September 12, 2013]

(Washington DC, USA)

The President got off his podium once he finished with his speech. King, now the Secretary of State, followed right behind him as their bodyguards escorted them to the nearby vehicle. The reporters were held back while they tried to get an exclusive scoop from the President along with some good footage. The two men got into the vehicle seeing the driver immediately set the vehicle in motion. They two of them remained silent until the vehicle took a right turn.

"I won't think I'm prepared for this," said King who looked nervously at his feet.

The President turned his attention to the man that was younger than him. He placed his hand on King's shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile.

"I know this promotion came unexpectedly but we need someone like you to take the reins."

The President saw fire in King's eyes but there were still some hints of hesitation. Moment later, a tear dripped down King's cheek which he wiped away.

"I'm not like him, President. Kyle was every bit a man better at the job than me."

"Yet, he's dead and you're still alive. Stop having doubts of your abilities. Our country needs you in times of need. Don't back off now."

King stared into the President's eyes which seemed determined as always. He slowly nodded which earned him another smile from the President.

The President then turned his attention to the driver and told him to change their destination. King looked at the President with puzzlement but the man didn't reveal his change of heart. The remainder of the ride was in silence with the two men staring out the windows while they grieved for Kyle's death.

-meanwhile-

"This is CNN news and we are sorry to bring breaking news from the White House. We have just learned from the President that Kyle Hall, the Secretary of State, has passed away. One passenger aircraft that was near Baltimore blew up for unknown reason seeing its debris crashing down to the ground. One such debris just happened to hit the vehicle Kyle Hall was in killing him and his driver instantly. The cause of the explosion is still unknown but we are receiving reports that a fighter aircraft might be responsible for the incident. On the topic of a fighter shooting down passenger aircraft, the White House has refused to comment on the matter. We can confirm that the body of Kyle Hall was never recovered because leaking gasoline created a massive explosion turning the vehicle into a burning wreck. With the sudden passing of Kyle Hall, the President has promoted Victor King from Undersecretary of State to Secretary of State. The President felt confident that Victor would carry on from where Kyle left off as our nation is in the middle of a great crisis."

(Sydney, Australia)

Yazov suddenly woke up upon hearing some noises outside. He rubbed his eyes before checking the clock on the wall. He then heard the television and concluded that he must have dozed off at night. Suppressing a yawn, Yazov stood up trying to loosen the tight muscles in his legs. When he turned off the television, he heard the lock of the front door click with several footsteps. He rushed to greet his friends only to find them all looking glum. Yazov then noticed that one of his friends was missing and asked them where he was. All but one of them ignored him as they made their way back to bed. A man called Sharov placed his hand on Yazov's shoulder which got Yazov's attention. Yazov turned around seeing a pained expression on Sharov's face.

"He's gone." Sharov looked up at the ceiling as he said it.

Section III

Chapter 42 (part 3)

[September 12, 2013]

(Sydney, Australia)

Yazov steadied himself against the wall as he took in the news. He stared at Sharov hoping that he was just playing a prank on him but the grim expression on his friend's face wasn't one he could imitate.

Yazov stormed forward to grab Sharov's collar. He fought back the tears that were building up as he struggled to shake Sharov.

"How? How did he die? I thought you said that we wouldn't expect any resistance!"

Yazov let go of his friend collapsing onto the ground to cry. Sharov rested his hand on Yazov's shoulder.

"There was a reckless driver that drove through him and two others. They were sent flying but he got the worst of it. By the time we got him to the hospital, he stopped breathing. It was already too late to save him." Sharov paused long enough to wipe away his tears. "I'm sorry. I know you two were like brothers."

Yazov was only half listening as he grieved for his friend's death. The two of them stayed in their positions for nearly an hour until Yazov got his grief through his system.

"It wasn't your fault," said Yazov who stood up to return to his bed.

When he entered the room, he couldn't help but turn his attention to the other bed. The bed his friend slept in that will soon be taken by someone else. He then turned to walk over to the bookshelf where he grabbed his friend's favorite book. He looked down to read the title but his eyes were watery again. Returning the book back to its place, Yazov got back onto his bed where he cried. For the first time in a long time, the scar on his right arm was giving him a hard time.

(San Diego, USA)

Sam and his friends stood aboard the carrier bridge staring at the aftermath of a bombardment. They first caught sight of the rising smoke which suggested a great fire. Next, many buildings, or rather, what was left of the buildings, came into view. Several have collapsed into itself while others were fueling the small blaze that the firemen were busy putting out. Once they were close enough to the naval base, the trio saw dead people and body parts everywhere along with the survivors scattered everywhere. Temporary shelters were set up but there were far too many wounded seeing many forced to sit out in the open unprotected from the elements. A light drizzle was beginning to take place when the carrier docked into the base. On the bridge, the trio saw medical personnel busy tending to the many wounded people. For Sam, he has heard stories of such tragedies from his parents and grandparents but what he saw before him was reality. Many families have lost their loved ones in a cowardly attack and would be grieving for many years. Sam suddenly felt someone place a hand on his shoulder and turned to see Justin giving him a reassuring smile. He then noticed a tear in the corner of his eye which he wiped away promptly. Jason and Justin then noticed Sam reach into his pocket pulling out the map. They both looked at each other confirming their hunch that the map must have a connection to all this destruction and suffering.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 42 (part 4)

[September 12, 2013]

(San Diego, USA)

The admiral had an escort with the trio as they left the naval base that was still chaotic. No one said anything until they arrived at the entrance of the naval base where many civilians were being held back. The civilians had heard the explosions earlier and tried to get a better look at the destruction. Several news stations were there reporting on whatever they gathered and whatever footage they got so far. Seeing the trio and the escort trying to leave, the reporters rushed over bombarding them with questions. The escort shoved his way through the crowd of reporters trying to make way for the trio who followed closely behind him. The escort then opened the door of the vehicle they stopped before and he gestured to the trio to get in. The trio got in the rear doors without a word and, upon closing the door, the driver stepped on the gas nearly hitting a cameraman who tried to get some footage through the front windshield. The trio looked back as the crowd slowly disappear into the distance. Letting out a breath, Sam brought out his map. The driver looked into the rear view mirror briefly before he returned his focus back on the road. The trip to the airport would see no conversations as the trio scanned the map searching for clues.

An hour later, the trio met with another military personnel outside the airport who led the way to the check-in desk. The fact that the three men had no luggage made the process quick and painless. The military personnel dealt with all the paperwork before handing over a piece of paper to Sam with the airline and gate numbers. He then led them through security and the trio parted with him once they were inside. The trio made their way to the gate where they sat down at the waiting area.

"So?" Jason and Justin turned to Sam as he spoke. "That was quite an adventure. I'm getting a little too old for this."

"You aren't giving up on us, are you?" asked Jason.

Sam turned to give Jason a reassuring smile. "I won't be quitting until I solve this case." He then turned to Justin. "Well, looks like you're coming to Canada after all."

Justin made a small chuckle. "Not the vacation I had in mind though."

"I feel we are racing against time."

The atmosphere between the trio suddenly turned serious. No one knew what to say next and, instead, they looked down at their hands.

-meanwhile-

"Hello, boss?"

"How did it go?"

"They are in the airport now."

"They will be heading back to Canada?"

"I assume so."

"What do they know?"

"They have a piece of paper. I couldn't get a closer look at it but it must be important."

"You know where exactly they are headed?"

"No."

"Find out. Then follow them and learn what they know. If discovered, you know what to do."

"Yes, boss."

The driver waited for his boss to hang up before putting away his cell. He stood by his vehicle staring at the military personnel that escorted the trio. He chose to walk over to have a word or two with the man.