• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Afriendlybro

Honorary Lord of Zerg Rushing
36 Badges
Mar 9, 2013
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
This is my very first AAR and as such if you see anything that could use touching up please do not hesitate to tell or show me how to do so. With that, on with the adventure.

General Gameplay stuff
Combat Ai: Good
Campaign Ai: Good
Combat Speed: Fastest
Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Allies: Normal
Battle Size: 150
Difficulty Rating: 112%
End of Gameplay Stuff

Chapter 1: Humble Beginnings

The ocean air was bone chilling, the wind ravaging the bottomless waves from all sides, the galleon on the horizon creaked back and forth as Poseidon's breeze rocked her to and from.
The sun above hung so delicately in the sky at just about late afternoon, no doubt by the time they arrived at their destination would the air nip at the very hairs in their nostrils and the land will be blanketed with the bitter shroud of night.
Gythan stood at the bow of the ship, to a more creative fellow he would resemble that of a hero from folktales told around a bonfire in the company of good friends and lovely women.
Off in the distance he could see them, if he squinted hard enough through the freezing hail of turbulence he could just make out the white tipped mountains of the land he had decided to venture to.
Not much was known of the land of Calradia where Gythan was born, any ties had been severed long ago with the passing of alliances and that of kings to their graves.​

"'scuze me sir, we're about a quarter to away from the mainland of western Calradia, no use bein' up 'ere there is."the ship hand incited. Gythan turned from his distraction he had placed upon the peaks he could barely make out along the horizon towards the man who stood behind him. Young Lad, not much of a speaker but good none the less. Gythan gave him a curt nod, unheard of to do even such a thing to peasantry where he was from,any spoken word from the lower classes of society was usually met with annoyance or beating, his father had made sure he knew how such a feeling felt. Gythan pulled his cloak tighter to his chest and proceeded into the depths of the ship where the wind could no longer assault him and his consciousness.​

The ship pulled into the docking yard on the outskirts of a city whose name Gythan though of to be rather odd sounding, like a name a northern would name his strange yet suprisingly delicious pastry. Jelkala, the city was called. It lay in a valley surrounded by the very mountains Gythan had admired but a few hours ago. The wind was not nearly as bad in the city as it was outside the protective vale of the mountain tops, which sheltered the city folk from the icy undertow. Gythan's body ached for a comfortable dorm in which it could rest off the stress it had accumulated during the travel up country towards the city. The man, now clad in his armor that he had stashed away in his ship quarters walked around the dimly lit streets to find a tavern in which he could stay. It took him no time at all to find and settle into one. The rent was fairly cheap for the night, and having had his foreign currency exchanged for Calradian denars he could afford to stay for much more then most men. He casually admired the view of the street front from the windowed room he received from the tavern keep, watching as one by one the townsfolk crept home to avoid any dangers that lurked after dark. After he had watched the last of them creep inside, he too finally retired for the night.[/center]

6vokt2W.jpg

In the morning he awoke early and decided to take a walk around the streets, strapping all his gear to his body as non-restrictively as he could. As he proceeded downstairs to the street below the barmaid on duty offered him a warning. That, as of recent, bandits had infiltrated the city walls and have been eluding capture from the town watch. Gythan thanked the bar maid but assured her he would be alright if he were to encounter such a troublesome man inside the walls, and with that he stepped outside the tavern to explore the town. The air was a tone of mildew as a fog hung in the air throughout the town. The clomping of boot leathers echoed throughout the still empty streets as Gythan wandered through alleyways and plazas.

It was at the moment of highest security that he heard it, a sharp yet audible rasp as a blade exited its scabbard. Gythan unstrapped his shield and now readied his spear in the direction he was facing, thinking the sound to have come from a stranger up ahead. A man to his right gave a short yell as he attempted to bring the sword down on Gythans flank. The warrior managed to guard just in time to block his attackers advance, stumbling slightly from the impact the blade had on his tower shield. With a grunt of effort Gythan pushed the man back into the openess of the plaza, a good distance from him at that, and gave a wrath-filled thrust of his spear aimed at the mans chest. A sickening cacophony of tearing a puncturing sounds rose up following the mans cry of pain. Gythan looked at his victim, who at this point was marveling at the shaft impaled in his gut. With a tug Gythan tore free his spear from the bandits abdomen as his bodied smacked the cobblestone with an unease silence to follow. The man was dead.​
qFhgGii.jpg

Gythan had barely a moments rest in order to collect himself after the senseless battle before he was rushed upon by an odd looking man. A Merchant he would soon discover, by the name of Luigi Mazzocchi.

"Are you all right?" Luigi inquired. "Well.... I guess you're alive, at any rate. I'm not sure that we can say the same for the other fellow. That's one less thief to trouble our streets at night, although Heaven knows he wont be the last.... Anyway, Maybe you can hel me with something, let's talk more inside. Out here, we don't know who's listening."​
8ttLkbD.jpg

Gythan followed the man back home reluctantly, watching as Luigi cautiously looked out into the street to see if they were followed. When he was satisfied they were not, he cautiously shut the door and beckoned Gythan over.

Well thats all I have right now, just a sort of proof of concept idea, that and this has taken me about an hour or so of writing. Tell me what you guys think about it. Next part coming soon

Chapter 2: Rampancy

Luigi had requested Gythan set out and collect some men for the task he needed done. Luigi's brother, Mario, was captured by Bandits and was being held ransom somewhere in the mountainous hills of Western Calradia. Gythan at first did not want to dive head first into conflict but seeing the desperate look Luigi gave him made him reconsider. Luigi gave him 100 denars in order to hire local conscripts from the nearby villages in order to track down the bandits. He even lent Gythan a horse so as his journey to the villages would be quicker. Gythan set off at midday for the first town of Ibdeles,which lay in a valley just south of Jelkala. Upon his arrival Gythan set out to hire any and all who would come with him to search for the merchants brother. Unluckily enough, no one seemed interested. All of those available scoffed at the thought of saving a Merchants brother and told Gythan he should try some of the villages in the north. Gythan thanked them for the information and set off towards the northern villages.

Along the way, Gythan narrowly out rode party after party of brigands and mercenaries, all of whom were more then a match for the lone man. As the sun edged closer to the horizon and as yet another village came up with no results, Gythan thought his journey was at the precipice of failure. As he began to ride back to Jelkala, his luck would clock out for the first time in his time in Calradia. A Band of brigands crossed the nearby hill, across the river situated next to Gythan. He had hardly heard them stir for their ambush.

iriImNZ.jpg

rag1TOq.jpg

A arrow flew and struck Gythans horse in the neck, causing it to cry out and buck him and his equipment off the back of the beast. Gythan had but a moment to recount himself as a young lad no doubt one of his assailants crossed the river bank and was poised to strike. Gythan remembered the man from Jelkala who assaulted him in a similar way, and so too would the boy meet the same fate. Gythan thrust forward with all his might towards the boys chest, surprisingly feeling his blow defleced as he saw the boy had jolted the spear off target and out of harms way. In but a moment a hard blow from the handle of the boys sword caught Gythan in the temple, his world painfully black as he wobbled as he attempted to keep himself steady. The ground would have to do so for him he thought as Gythan collapsed face first unto the dirt road. He had been taken prisoner by the outlaws.​

FQ8pqEg.jpg

For many moons the brigands dragged Gythan around harshly, why they had not killed him surprised even Gythan himself but what they had failed to do was realize no man would sit idly in captivity. As the days went by Gythan prepared his escape. While his old horse had been butchered for meat, the band of outlaws had ambush some poor farmers and captured their horses for transportation. It would take careful planning to escape his bonds, steal a horse and ride as fast as he could to the nearest civilization. Gythan thought about that last part. Where would he stay? The rogues had taken all his weapons and getting them back would require a subtle lethality Gythan was not a master of. No matter what he thought, he would find a way to continue his dream of exploring this new world. It would be yet another week in captivity before Gythan would earn his chance at escape. While the bandits had been idly drinking their stress away, Gythan, under cover of dark had wrestled out of his bonds ever surreptitiously and calmly made his way towards the edge of the camp where the horses were held. He had managed to go unseen as far as the perimeter but it was then as he had reached the make shift stable that one of the guards on duty saw him

"OI! YOU THERE! STOP!" The man shouter hoisting a throwing spear from his javelin bag. He was poised to chuck the spear straight into the horse but suddenly was taken silently into the afterlife by an arrow shaft protruding from his neck. The camp had gone silent after the mans cry for Gythan to halt but was soon awoken by the sounds of heavy foot falls. It seemed the men at first came from shadow, bearing the sigil of the house of Jelkala, the royal house of the Rhodok Confederacy. A Large line of warriors exited the woods around the camp site. Behind them stood two columns of Rhodok crossbowmen poised to loose their bolts. Gythan froze, one foot in the stirrup of the brown stallion which stood proudly next to its post. He had no clue whether he was also a target for their bolts until part of the infantry line spread apart and through the gap rode a heavily armored man flanked by equally armored knights.

"Young man.. please, join us over here where it is safe. You are set free from these brigands, the will bother you no longer." The man boomed with absolute authority. Gythan still stood frozen before collecting himself and hopping up into position on the stallions saddle. The Bandits had all sullied out of their tents and sobered up rather nicely as they all stood out in the open in the middle of the clearing fearfully watching all sides as the Rhodok army stared back with crippling animosity.

Gythan rode forth slowly but steadily towards the rhodokian lines where he met face to face with someone he never thought he would meet. "Greetings commoner, I am High King Graveth, of course you have heard of me no doubt, as your king and monarch. I will permit you to stay seated upon your horse, no doubt this whole incident has been a tad traumatic for one such as thee." King Graveth commented looking Gythan up and down. Gythan returned with a soft gulp and clearing of his throat, he had no spoken in weeks due to punishment from the outlaws.

"Forgive me my liege, while you are no doubt the king of these lands I must admit I am not one of your commoners. I hail from a land across the vast sea that your kingdom borders. As for any trauma induced by these fine gentlemen," Gythan waved an idle joking hand towards the bandit camp "You've kindly seen to curing said Trauma" He finished.

Graveth scoffed heartedly chuckling softly there after, clearly finding something Gythan said humorous before turning to one of his knights. "Loose." he said bluntly, to which the knight shouted "LOOSE!" as many twangs of rope shot forth, their sharp projectiles at the bandits gathered in their camp. Many cries for pain were screamed and sentenced to the void as Graveth looked Gythan in the eye "No doubt you understand this punishment is justified under my rule. Do you have anything to say about how I treat such men?" Graveth questioned seriously. "No my Liege, I am not one to question the laws set forth, I simply abide by them and assist those who have been wronged by those who ignore them."

Graveth nodded his approval "You're a good man.. you may be of common birth but know that I am always looking for good men to fight for me, if they can prove themselves worthy of my trust, which I think you will in time. I've got room in my ranks for a man of your dissposition.." Graveth makes a motion as if to have Gythan speak his name. "Gythan." he stated. "..Gythan. I can take you on as a conscript, with a weekly pay of 40 denars, and food of course. Plenty of room for promotion and you'll be equipped as befits your rank. You'll have your take of what you can scavenge after battle too. What do you say? Shall you fight for me?"

U3J01UV.jpg

q89VGve.jpg

Gythan sat atop his horse, he was broke, without a means to defend himself and he was being offered a very rare chance by the king of the land. It took him a moment but he decided​

"Seem a fair lot and steady work in these lands. I'm with you, my lord."​

next part coming soon.