• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CHAPTER 3 An Ocean and a Continent Away

"Bring him in."

Kuzman rested his chin in his hand, it was the afternoon of March 27, 1846. He had asked Radko Genadiev to bring Lt. Col. Niloa Petrov to his office so he could speak with him. News of his valorous actions at Vidin had spread across Bulgaria and Kuzman wanted to meet the man for himself. He patiently waited, an unsealed letter from the Russian foreign correspondent in his hands. Nazaretian had delivered to him the previous morning, the seal already broken. He had read its contents with a grey mood, it was what Nazaretian did about the letter that irked him.

At that moment Radko entered the room with Niloa Petrov, he was of medium height and had dark hair, his eyes were also dark, with an ambitious look that seemed to have seen too much in their time.

Niloa Petrov saluted Kuzman," so you are the one who leads my nation."

"Indeed I am, you made quite a name for yourself at Vidin."

"The only joy I received that day was trotting on the dead Wallachians."

Kuzman raised his eyebrow at such a morbid statement. What kind of man would say that? He shook it off. "I have a job for you, in regards with this letter." He handed Niloa Petrov the letter for him to read.

Niloa Petrov gazed over the letter and raised an inquisitive eyebrow. "Sweden declared war on Russia in an attempt to liberate Finland? It says here the North German Federation joined on the side of Sweden. Surely you don't plan on leading Bulgaria into this war."

"I didn't, but Nazaretian replied to the letter before I had a chance to read it. He already swore Bulgarian aid in the war."

"So you want me to lead an army against the Germans?" Niloa Petrov's voice rose with excitement.

"Not at all."

Niloa Petrov visibly deflated and barely maintained eye contact with Kuzman. Radko tilted his head and gave a quizzical look.

"However General, I do want you to lead an expedition to the far-away land known as Sindh."

Niloa Petrov was not sure how to respond to this news. He had always wanted to be a General, but what was this place called Sindh? And what sort of monsters resided there?

"Thank you...sir." He turned to leave.

"You will be leaving on July 15th, the ships will take you there but it will be a one way trip. Once you land the ships will be scuttled, and more ships will come to bring you back in an unknown amount of time. Also three journalists will be accompanying you to take record of what happens."

Kuzman watched Niloa Petrov nod and head out. He then waited to see what developed in the North.

Early on the morning of July 15th Nazaretian burst into Kuzman's quarters carrying a rolled up sheet of paper and looking furious.

"Where is the support Bulgaria promised Russia?!" Nazaretian was sure to let spit fly when he put emphasis on the B in Bulgaria.

"Bulgaria promised nothing. You did."

"Without all the help Russia could possibly get Russia will fall! Look!"

Nazaretian unrolls the paper and throws it in Kuzman's face, revealing its contents.

Kuzman looked over the map with glazed eyes. "It appears Russia is in danger. I wonder if they left room for the Bulgarian army, since they were told by a tanned rat that Bulgaria would be aiding them. Maybe the Germans focused their pushes on these weak spots meant for the Bulgarians, I bet whoever promised Bulgarian aid to Russia must feel awful."

Nazaretian clenched his teeth then threw a finger into Kuzman's chest. "You better send them an army. NOW!!!"

"Sorry, Tsar Armiya and Narodna Armiya are under the command of General Niloa Petrov, and are currently located somewhere in the middle of the ocean."

At that moment a palace guard entered the room. "Tsar Kuzman, your guest has arrived."

Nazaretian then snarled. "You're a child Kuzman! A giant child!" And stormed out of the room.

Kuzman dismissed the issue almost immediately, he was more concerned about his guest. His sweetheart from Krasnodar had arrived.

Being out at sea for weeks gave Niloa Petrov time to think, and be angry. The only reason that scum Kuzman sent him over to this barren land of savages is to dampen his fame! Petrov was a rising star! Now he will die in this god-forsaken land.

He had arrived much sooner than anyone had expected, but of course there was no way to relay messages back to Bulgaria. But he had arrived on the 6th of July, much sooner than estimated by the navigators and cartographers in Sofia. He landed his troops on the coast of this land called Sindh. The locals he captured and interrogated told him the largest city and the capital was called Karachi. An extremely irked Niloa Petrov marched in the direction the locals gave him.

The weather was hot and humid, the insects were awful and his men were getting sick, but he made it to Karachi.

He immediately ordered the cannons to fire upon the city.

The Sindi army immediately swarmed out of the city walls like ants from their nest. Their dark green shirts making it look as the grass had grown five feet and was rushing at the Bulgarian positions. The first wave of Sindi troops was repelled with little ease. At least one thousand Bulgarians died, but over 2,000 Sindi laid at their feet. The next wave of Sindi troops killed 2,000 Bulgarians, but their line held, wavering, but it held. However when the Sindi retreated the before they were given a chance to attack again the Bulgarians chased them down, grabbing them by the hair on their heads and driving bayonets through their throats, ordered by Niloa Petrov himself

Upon entering the city Petrov and his men went right to the Sultan's palace. His men barged the door down and Petrov entered, dragging the Sultan out by his hair. While he was in he had the rest of his army round up the residents in the city plaza. He dragged the Sultan to the center. He waited for them to stop crying in fear and said two simple words.

"Na Nozh!"[1]

He then thrust his bayonet through the Sultans throat, cries of sorrow could be heard from the natives as he fell and floundered in his own blood. Many of his men showed looks of disapproval, he had just killed royalty.

The next morning Niloa Petrov set out for the mountains of Sukkur. He found the army hiding in a small village. He had his men bombard the village with cannons, a fire started and Sindi army was forced to flee. As they fled a unit of the Bulgarian army cut them off. The Sindi army was surrounded, they were quickly beaten and many were killed, eventually they managed to retreat south.

"Fire the cannons."

Niloa Petrov's assistant looked confused. "But sir, they're retreating, the field is ours. They surrendered!"

"I said fire the cannons."

"But-"

Niloa Petrov turned to his assistant and swatted him upside the head, sending him a few steps back dazing him.

"Fire the cannons!"

Niloa Petrov ordering the cannons to fire. Many of the retreating Sindi died from the cannon fire.

After that Niloa Petrov followed the Sindi into the outhern mountains and then into Karachia again, where Niloa Petrov slaughtered the remaining Sindi.

After a two year shock-and-awe campaign Sindh surrendered and was annexed by Bulgaria. Niloa Petrov approached the three journalists.

"Tell me gentlemen, what did you see during this campaign?"

The first journalist was horrified. "You slaughtered them! Killed their leader! You're not a General you're a butcher!"

Niloa Petrov pulled out his pistol and shot the journalist in the chest, he then dropped his pistol and had his assistant hand him another one.

"And what did you see?"

The second journalist stuttered and looked around.

"well?"

The journalist froze in fear, unable to speak. Niloa Petrov then shot the journalist in the chest and had his assistant supply him with another pistol.

"And you?" He pointed his pistol to the third journalist.

The journalist took a deep breath to compose himself. "I saw a glorious military campaign that will surely bring prestige to Bulgaria, and more importantly the General of the army, Niloa Petrov."

Petrov smiled.

"Excellent."

Meanwhile the war in the North shifted sides. The Russians sent wave after wave of soldiers at the German lines, eventually pushing them back. Spain, who had joined the war on the side of Russia, landed on the southern coast of Sweden and forced Sweden to drop out of the war and free Norway.

The Russo-German front.

Spain's campaign in Sweden and its results.

Eventually the North German Federation was forced to surrender.

The new Bulgarian Empire.

However Kuzman cared little for the war in the North. Bulgaria had become an empire and his lover from Krasnodar, Liza Orlov was in Sofia with him.

And she was pregnant.

However, the Ottoman Empire saw the joyous atmosphere of Bulgaria, and they could not feel such joy towards Bulgaria.

Well I hope you guys liked this update!
Thoughts, tips, suggestions, please post below!

Last edited:
Yey,another great update!

Great to see, that this AAR is moving ahead :)

As to suggestions, I think that you have used the same image referring to the Battle of Karachi twice and I am not sure if something like this didn't already happen in one of the previous chapters.

As to the game, it develops quite interesting. After seeing the inroads made by NGF and Sweden into Russia, I believed the big Tsar's country must be in a serious decline. But the Russians were able recover with the help of Spain - out of all Nations.

Also what's going on in the Balkan territory of the Ottoman empire? Is that a rebel activity or was Montenegro able to occupy such a huge amount of land? :eek:

Thanks for catching the screenshot error, I probably never would have noticed it but its fixed now.

Those occupation lines are from America, the Ottomans went to take land from Egypt and Egypt was in America's sphere.

And I was surprised to see Spain save Russia as well. And then they went on to free Norway!

Also thanks for the support!

And thanks everyone for the 1,000 views!

Excellent idea! I had considered playing as Bulgaria in the past, but if you liberate it as the Ottoman Empire it gets all its cores, so it isn't as interesting to play as Greece or Serbia, for instance. But what you did was clever, and makes for a better AAR. I also like how you're focusing on three main characters who don't get along with each other and have different ambitions and vices.

Chapter 4 War,Betrayal,and War

Niloa Petrov was sitting in the palace throne in Karachi Sindh. The palace was Lavish but it was nothing compared to what Kuzman sat in at Sofia. He had grown bored. His helpers had taught the locals how to speak Bulgarian; since then they had been learning of this land to the Northwest that was geographically similar to Sindh with dense population and high mountains.

They called this land "Kalat".

Niloa Petrov rounded up his men, he was going conquering once more.

Kuzman sat in his own throne and pondered about what had happened over the past two years. He glanced over the 1850's census.

He noted that his son was counted in the census. And that he would be taking over Bulgaria when Kuzman passed on. His wife decided to name their son Konstid Apostolov. He was a healthy baby.

At that moment Nazaretian burst into his throne room. Kuzman felt like he had seen this scene before and what Nazaretian said confirmed that he did.

"The Ottomans have declared war on us! And the United Kingdom is aiding them!"

"What do they want this time?"

"To reclaim Rumelia!"

Kuzman sighd, "Russia will handle it."

Nazaretian grew an edge to his voice. "You failed to aid Russia when they were at war with the North German Federation! What makes you think the--"

At that moment a soldier burst into the room. "Telegrams sir!"

Kuzman looked over. "Read it aloud please." He didn't want to remind Nazaretian that he couldn't read Bulgarian.

"Russia has decided to aid us in our war, an--"

The soldier was cut off by a chuckle from Kuzman, who then smirked like a child at Nazaretian. Nazaretian refused to throw another tantrum, he stuck his nose in the air and walked out of the room. He snatched the papers from the soldier on his way out.

As he walked down the hall Nazaretian read over the papers. He was surprised to see that under the telegram from Russia there was a telegram from, of all places, Persia. Who would have that a country like Persia would have acquired telegram lines? Nazaretian was even more surprised to see that the Telegram was from Niloa Petrov.

Greetings Kuzman,

I am writing this to inform you I have grown bored of my time in Karachi and have crossed the border into a neighboring country known as Kalat.

Regards,
General Niloa Petrov.

Nazaretian gave a devious smile.

Kuzman didn't need to know about this.

Niloa Petrov's better trained and better equipped army, combined with his brutal strategies quickly overwhelmed the army of Kalat. And he soon began occupying it, however he saw that the British had invaded and occupied Bulgarian Sindh. There must be a war back in the homeland he thought. Since kalat was still technically independent then Britain couldn't cross into it, therefore he was safe. When the Sultan of Kalat offered Niloa Petrov his country, Petrov refused to keep himself safe from the British.

At one point a small Kalat army who found amnesty in Afghanistan returned to try and free their Sultan, Niloa Petrov would have none of that.

Kalat was subdued, all Niloa could do now was wait for the war to be over. He sent a telegram explaining the situation to Kuzman back at Sofia.

The first year and a half of the war was rather uneventful. The Ottomans attempted a few incursions into southern Bulgaria but were quickly forced to flee by skirmishers in the hills. There was no major battle or occupations that took place. The Russians then mobilized and poured over the border for the third time in twenty years. You would think the Ottomans would have learned.

Nazaretian was pacing in the hallway, sitting in the palace was numbing his mind. He wondered what was going on in Asia. He then saw a soldier hurrying towards Kuzman's room with a letter in hand.

Nazaretian stopped him. "where are you going with that?"

"I must deliver this urgent telegram to Tsar Kuzman, its from Niloa Petrov."

"Give it to me, I will deliver it to him."

The soldier didn't have time to argue, so he nodded, handed it over, and left.

Nazaretian looked over the telegram.

Greetings Kuzman,

I am writing to you to inform you that I have subdued Kalat and they are ready to be added. However you cannot accept their peace just yet for if you do 30,000 British soldiers will pour over the border and destroy Narodna Armiya. I have also decided to have a copy of the unsigned treaty sent to you as well, for when the war with the United Kingdom ends.

Regards,
General Niloa Petrov

Nazaretian swiftly pocketed the telegram and pulled out the copy of the treaty, he then signed it.

Kuzman Apostolov-Asen

And went to his quarters to get it passed around amongst the European powers, to let them know of Bulgaria's hegemony over Kalat.

Earlier that year Kuzman was informed that the United Kingdom wished to create the start of a Romanian state in Dobrudja. He responded by demanding East Macedonia, another land that had many ethnic Bulgarians.

But Kuzman knew nothing of what was going on in Kalat.

They hit them at night.

30,000 British soldiers poured into Kalat and quickly routed Niloa Petrov's army.

He didn't know what hit him.

He didn't think anything could hit him.

He barely managed to flee into Persia.

But there was something he was certain of.

Kuzman would pay for selling Narodna Armiya out.

In the middle of the summer of 1853 a 30,000 strong British army landed on the coast of Bulgaria, however the Russians and Bulgarians rallied and managed to drive out the only Bulgarian expedition by the British of the war.

At this point there was little stopping the Russians from obliterating the Ottoman Empire so on January 22 1854 the Ottoman Empire ceded East Macedonia to Bulgaria. However the United Kingdom wasn't about to give up.

They fought on for another ten months until November when their forces were driven out of Russia and on November 23rd 1854 the war officially ended.

On December 2nd 1854 Tsar Kuzman was parading in East Macedonia. His wife Liza and his son Konstid at his side, and Nazaretian behind him. Radko Genadiev and his guard was leading the carriage. A huge crowd of Bulgarians lined the streets to greet and wave to the Tsar, their liberator.

Kuzman beamed widely and waved to the crowd, his family at his side doing the same as him.

A shot rang from the crowd.

A pistol went off, sending a bullet towards Tsar Kuzman.

The piece of lead made contact under the Tsar's eye socket and then erupted from the back of Kuzman's skull.

His wife screamed.

His son cried.

Captain Genadiev ordered the guard to comb the crowd for the Assassin, but it was too late. After the shot was fired the Assassin immediately dropped the pistol where it was kicked around by the frightened crowd making it untraceable.

The bullet insured Kuzman was dead before he hit the ground.

During the whole panic Vikenti Nazaretian sat back and tried to stifle a smile.

General Niloa Petrov had acted exactly as Vikenti Nazaretian thought he would.

Poor Kuzman, dying at a moment of triumph! I'm sure the nation will survive this and possibly grow throughout.

Anyways, you've liberated millions of people from the Ottoman Empire. Once you get all your cores, do you plan to help the rest of the Balkans out?

Can you clear some space in your inbox, xizlak? It appears to be full.

I hope Nazaretian knows what he's doing. This may end in tears for more than just Kuzman's family...

Oh God,nice update.
You should conquer Istanbul next and rename it to Tsaringrad :p

Chapter 5 Regression

Niloa Petrov entered Kuzman's, or well, Chancellor Nazaretian's office. He had taken over Bulgaria until Kuzman's son; Konstid Apostolov, would come of age to take over the kingdom. As Niloa Petrov entered Nazaretian gave a cynical grin.

"Welcome, General Petrov."

Niloa Petrov nodded some what uncomfortably. "What is it that you want from me?"

"I want to decide a punishment for you."

"Punishment for what, sir?"

"For assassinating the Tsar."

Niloa Petrov tried not to gasp. How did Nazaretian know? He was sure he managed to get away with it.

"I-I don't know what you speak of."

"Don't be foolish! You were angry at Kuzman for annexing Kalat while your troops were hiding from the British army!" Nazaretian quickly cursed himself. Did he reveal too much?

"How did you--"

"So do we shoot you for treason? Or make you rot in prison for murder?"

Niloa Petrov was silent, he refused to sacrifice his pride.

"You know if you were to aid me I would release you."

"What could you possibly want from me?"

"Petrov. I am an Armenian. I served for the Russians for many years of my life. When we were told that the Russians would be liberating an oppressed nation in the Ottoman Empire; my heart skipped for I thought my people would be liberated. A free Armenia! Think about it general Petrov, it would be wonderful."

Niloa Petrov was silent as he realized this man was insane.

"I lead my men valiantly in the defense of the Caucasian front. And we got news of victory. I was so excited to live with my people in my homeland. I got a letter from the government. Surely it was to inform me that I was to serve in the new Armenian government as a reward for my exploits!"

Nazaretian was up and pacing along the office by now, his hands waving.

"But no! Bulgaria was the liberated country! Bulgaria! Bulgaria! Bulgaria! Why?! What purpose does Bulgaria serve over the wondrous Armenia?! And to add insult to injury the letter requested that I serve as chancellor of Bulgaria as a reward for my exploits! Reward? Ha! I would rather freeze in Siberia! And now you must wonder why I want you! Right?"

Niloa Petrov didn't wish to remind Nazaretian that he already asked why he was wanted.

"If you aid me in my plans in liberating the Armenians I will leave Bulgaria in your hands, and more importantly I won't give you a public execution."

Niloa Petrov hastily agreed. Before Nazaretian could go on another outrage.

"Excellent, first thing I want you to do is head back to our colony in Asia and expand upon it."

Niloa Petrov quickly left without a word, wishing to get as far away from Nazaretian as possible for the moment. As he left the office he saw Konstid approaching.

Konstid in reality had had his ear pressed to the door the entire time.

He was listening.

And he was not pleased.

When he heard Niloa Petrov approaching he took a few steps back to make it appear as he was approaching the office.

He was going to get revenge for his father.

But how?

Nazaretian went about to half heartedly run Bulgaria. He paid little attention to the people and did little to expand Bulgaria's nonexistent industry. He did however receive word that their colonial possessions increased.

Bulgarian thinkers cringed as their nations production fell further and further behind the powers of the world. Nazaretian was neglecting Bulgaria and the people knew it but there was nothing they could do. The years went by and Bulgaria's prestige and military increased, but Nazaretian made sure to suppress Bulgaria's industry.

The people seemed on the breaking point and were prepared to rebel. That is until the feline pianist arrived in Sofia and played a tune.

A year had gone by with little to note. The populace was still quite excited from the Piano Cat. In fact they were so inspired the thinkers of Bulgaria produced new theories.

Nazaretian's plan was in full roll now. He noted that the Ottoman Empire had actually gone bankrupt. The Bulgarian people called for war but he refused, that was not apart of the plan. However the decision was made for him when on May 18 1860 the Ottomans declared war once more. However the British had abandoned the Ottoman's cause.

However the French had taken it up.

And they weren't going to fail where their rivals did.

hey guys sorry for the weak update but very little happened in this section. But I promise the next one will be much more exciting!

Also I have finished this game and its all about finding time to post at this point. So I will be taking suggestions for my next AAR here on the thread.

Post which country you want to see me play as next!

Last edited:
Play any country you want,but Japan or Sokoto would be interesting.

Hey guys, unfortunate news. There was an issue with my computer and it had to be restored. However I will not be canceling the AR for I have managed to upload the screenshots to a file sharing site. However I am going to have to post pone it for awhile while I get things organized. In the meantime I may start another AAR it just depends how I feel I guess.

Did you loose the save file? That would suck. I really like what you did with Russia and wow... I never go for India so that was a nice change.

I wish Bulgaria in my campgain was as smart as you :p.

Did you loose the save file? That would suck. I really like what you did with Russia and wow... I never go for India so that was a nice change.

I wish Bulgaria in my campgain was as smart as you :p.

I still have the save files and all of the screenshots....somewhere hahahaha

And thanks I appreciate it. Did you liberate Bulgaria yourself?

I am playing as Greece (me being Greek I only play Byz/Greece in Paradox games. I might play campgains as other countires but usually get bored quickly).

And yeah, I freed Bulgaria myself, only giving them the province bordering Thrace so that the O.Empire would move away their capital. After that I caused 2 Great Wars (which happen to be the only Great wars with a few years distance bewteen them, so it could be historically called, that 1 Great war) and guess what? Bulgaria and Romania did not join in (Romania formed on its own, early game, so did Italy and the NGF). Serbia only joined in cause Russia did and they didn't gain anything.

Bulgaria refuses to ally with me cause I hold their cores but they should at least have DoWed the O.E. I mean it was Greece, Serbia, Russia, Austria, France, Persia vs Italy, UK, Spain, O.E.
Bulgaria does however have an imperssively strong military for their size