• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
having played (and still in the process of playing) as the UK for the first time. I also found Canada to take its sweet ass time in sending me troops. However when they did they did not hold back and their equipment was usually better than what my other allies would send, Ie mot divisions.

While I'm not surprised at Mackenzie King being less than enthusiastic, the Pacific is hardly critical to Canada and he has a right to feel let down (I nearly said betrayed) I think he will find himself on the losing side if he decides to pick a fight with Beaverbrook. Halifax will be sod all use the moment the Beaver threatens to turn the his papers against him and, as you say, the man is good with even media he doesn't own and will have some genuine progress to show. It'll be a good fight regardless of outcome. :D

Is there any particular reason why King and Beaverbrook would fight? I don't know much about either of them, so...

Let's look on the bright side. Japan is too away to attack London directly. :D

Let's look on the bright side. Japan is too away to attack London directly. :D

Do you think that stops Halifax from openly embracing the Tenno? :p

That and the idea of commiting seppuku in case of failure is too "violent and definitive". :D

Halifax would never embrace Tenno, the very thought of it!

He'd be too busy crawling around on his knees looking for an instrument of surrender to sign. :D

He'd be too busy crawling around on his knees looking for an instrument of surrender to sign.
Halifax would probably reply that it takes great courage to crawl around on the floor!

"Cwawling awound on the floow is faw too violent, definitive and unneccessawily intewventionist. I pwefew to sit in my chaiw and hope the suwwender papews fall into my lap."

Interesting splits in the Commonwealth, but also an apparent united front against Tojo. Here's to a resounding clash of empires in the Orient, wot wot! :p

“I disagree,” Smuts interrupted Dill, shaking his head at the IPDA arrangements. “With such a strong navy we must also expect a Japanese maritime threat against New Guinea and the Philippines.”

Halifax took up this question. “In such an instance, that would be a matter for the Amewicans. I will not jeopardise the secuwity of India and the Dominions.”

Doesn't Australia control half of New Guinea?

Also, I think Halifax left something off at the end:

"I will not jeopardise the secuwity of India and the Dominions...even though I pwobably have by this point."

"I will not jeopardise the secuwity of India and the Dominions...even though I pwobably have by this point."

"Because I am a spineless cowawd who would sell Pawliament House and the King to ze Gewmans only so taht they don't make any loud noises."

"Because I am a spineless cowawd who would sell Pawliament House and the King to ze Gewmans only so taht they don't make any loud noises."

The problem Halifax has, in my opinion, is that he allows himself to be perceived as being weak. If he really wants to toughen up his image, Halifax could consider trying the Dukakis Approach: go ride a tank and look somehow manly (although it totally backfired for Dukakis).

Chapter 79, Downing Street, 19 August 1940

Halifax entered the drawing room and immediately sighed. The Dominion Prime Ministers had finally departed, leaving in their wake a government openly shocked at their suspicions of the British in general and the cabinet in particular. Halifax had been planning a trip to Garrowby to prepare himself for the last burst of electioneering, but Butler had requested that he remain, citing a new intelligence report. These intelligence briefings were becoming a strain, as every snatched report and leaked memorandum spoke of further grim news. It was Butler’s briefing but had military and intelligence implications. Halifax, ever collegiate, had brought in Dill and noted the look of concern on his CIGS’s face.

“Prime Minister, I have received alarming news of a development in European relations. Our man on the Spanish-French Border has received news of a meeting that took place two days ago between Herr Hitler, Admiral Darlan and General Franco. I have a photograph of the meeting here.”

NewPicture15-4.png

The image, showing a smiling Franco shaking the Fuhrer’s hand, was shown around the room.

“Do we know what was discussed at the meeting?”

“Our man has failed to get a transcript. But we know from our sources with the Spanish that it involved strengthening the links between France, Spain, and the Germans.”

Dill raised an eyebrow. “Were any Italians present?”

Butler shook his head. “None were observed.”

“Then our friend Mussolini will be suspicious.”

“Not necessarily. That they weren’t observed does not mean that they weren’t there. The one development that we can verify is that Franco and Darlan agreed to their nations signing the Anti-Comintern pact.”

“An alliance?” That was Hankey, struggling in this world of intrigue and diplomacy.

“Not as such, as it is directed not against the Soviet Union, but against Comintern, though it does indicate closer links between the three. Spain, in particular, can now be regarded as having shifted closer within the German sphere of influence. France is already the Germans’ to deal with as they wish.”

“But weren’t the Spanish neutral?” Hankey was lost.

“Indeed, but with Germany now dominant on the continent they are probably trying to gain favour with the strongest power.”

Halifax pursed his lips. “The Fwench probably did not have much of a choice.”

“Not with the Germans funding their military,” muttered Dill.

Halifax raised a hand. He was finding the endless debate tiring. “What are the implications for the European balance of power?”

“An easy time in the West for the Wehrmacht,” Eden commented. As the electioneering continued, the constant attacks upon him were becoming a nuisance. He and his wife had spent virtually no time together since the dissolution of Parliament and every telegram or letter from her was more acidic than the last. In short, he was fed up.

“General Dill is partly correct”, Butler agreed, though wincing at Dill’s bluntness. “With Spain considered friendly, if not supportive, and France and Italy nominally allies, we have in effect, two Europes. Western Europe, vaguely aligned with Germany, consisting of the militaries of Germany, Italy, Spain, and the French, although the French are deeply involved in their ongoing civil war.”

“Obviously the German Army is highly capable. The Spanish, though badly equipped, are experienced and able, whilst the French must have learned something from the recent defeat. The Germans are pouring in officers to train the French military.”

“Quite so, General,” Butler continued. “Against this is Eastern Europe, controlled and led by the Soviet Union. Though pledged not to engage with the Reich they are not likely to view Germany’s increased strength as a development in their favour,” Butler stated dryly.

“Grateful Rab, for such a clear briefing. Anthony, given this news, I look to you and the War Office to ensure that our own defences are prepared.” Eden nodded his acceptance. “We will watch this situation, observing developments closely.” Halifax rose, ending the briefing, and turned in the doorway to the assembled men. He looked deeply concerned.

“The Wussians. This all depends on the Wussians. Will they coexist with Germany?”

[Game Effect] – Would the French and Spanish join the Germans? With their nation dealing with the military uprising in Africa the new right-wing government of France wouldn’t have a choice. Given their bitter defeat and the generous terms imposed the French (or their government) would probably be favourable to their new partners, further alienating perfidious albion from the continent.

Franco of course met with Hitler in Hendaye in October 1940. Trying to win the Generalissimo over proved difficult, and the end result was not much at all. Given that the war, at the moment, is over, Franco might be more agreeable if all that the Germans are asking for is a broad (and shared) anti-communism. Though the anti-comintern pact faded with the Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement it is the perfect tool for an initial agreement amongst the Europeans. The lack of an Allied victory as an alternative to German hegemony of the continent could see Spain eager to further the friendship with the most powerful nation in Europe. As a result Hitler’s negotiations in June 1940 do not result in him commenting on Franco: “I prefer to have three or four of my teeth pulled out than to speak to that man again” but see the beginnings of further ties between France, Spain and the Reich. Mussolini’s reaction I’ve deliberately left vague; France and Spain do not (at present) have world-domination as an aim but Italy (to a point) does, and increased German meddling in their areas of influence will start to irritate the Italians. But faced with a common threat Italy would still pull together with Germany (and her new friends)? Does this indicate a standoff? Right-wing west against Communist east? It’s an intriguing idea, and one that I will explore later. The list of non-aligned nations in Europe is growing short as more and more regional powers are forced to take sides.

BritishImperial: Thanks! Some of the weirder traits of the game make for excellent story potential.

Trekaddict: Keep going on the Sharpes!

TheExecuter: This all comes from Dill, who was never really fully briefed on the Pacific (even in reality) Theatre. Whilst his dispositions are ok, they are not brilliant and leave areas of grave concern. Hong Kong is the obvious location for the RN (providing it holds out, which Dill is trying to ensure by increasing the defences). But no doubt the Japanese will have their own plans!

Atlantic Friend: The whole Med theatre is a mess really. As the French rebels get chased further south into the central african provinces the Italians are a complete farce.

Maximus323: Without giving too much away, Canada's scepticism about Halifax never really goes away. The Dominions become crucial to Halifax as the story continues.

El Pip: The ironic thing is that I think the Beaver's undoubted energy would be an asset to the Canadians. I think that the multiple snubs to Canada would have rankled Mackenzie King, but I'm leaving it vague as to whether he goes after Halifax or Beaverbrook (or both)!

Trekaddict: :D

GeneralHannibal: I doubt that they were personnally compatible, and I suspect that Beaverbrook would meddle in affairs that were not really for the Governor-General to deal with. But against a common threat (Halifax, the Japanese, God knows who else) they end up sorting out their differences.

Kurt_Steiner: And this may have an effect upon Halifax. It's easier to be bellicose when your opponent is a long long way away.

Trekaddict: I actually think that Halifax might be more warlike in his dealings with Japan. The common misconceptions held by Europeans for the Japanese were vaguely held by Halifax, and as he desperately needs to regain the trust of the Commonwealth he may not have a choice in the matter.

Kurt_Steiner: :D

El Pip: No no, he has Butler to scramble around for him!

Sir Humphrey: :rofl:

Morsky: Yep, I think that the one thing that could unite the Empire is the threat from Japan.

Nathan Madien: Yep. I think the Aussies will be left to garrison that themselves.

Trekaddict: :D

Nathan Madien: You may have a point. He is too closely linked with Treaties of (perceived) weakness, and may have to relaunch his image. But who would lead that revamp - Butler?

Last edited:
I think maybe Eden and some of the others are hoping that Western and Eastern Europes will oblierate each other in a massive war, then the plucky Brits can simply walk in.

Walk in provided that Halifax isn't there to vetoe that as "too wisky".

Some whiskey should help him to change his mind, I guess.

Maybe Halifax, if returned by election (bah, popular humbug! he may declare) could help research British nuclear forces, then secretly order the destruction of Berlin. Hows that for balance of power he might say.
joenods8fpyw6.gif

“The Wussians. This all depends on the Wussians. Will they coexist with Germany?”--Only if Halifax somehow replaces Stalin!

Could we see a massive continental war between fascism & communism while Britain sits it out and builds up in Far East? Sounds like a revisionist historian's dream!

Maybe Halifax, if returned by election (bah, popular humbug! he may declare) could help research British nuclear forces, then secretly order the destruction of Berlin. Hows that for balance of power he might say.
joenods8fpyw6.gif
If that turns out to have been Halifax's plan all along I will retract all and every bad word I've said about the man and publicly proclaim his genius for all to hear.

I wonder if Hankeys 'Ensure our defences are prepared' brief includes any extra money? I'd be surprised if it did, but without it there's not alot of point doing it. That said nothing much will be done till after the election so we shall have to wait and see.