• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, Long neutered 30's - 50's media. The only time the media was GOOD.

Actually, as you will learn in the next update, he didn't wipe out ALL media.

Deus Eversor said:
i think, what Nikolai meant, is that Cthulhu will arise (trolololo)

anyway, you fasci bastard! at least commie revolution will occur in +-50 years

I don't think so. I've always considered a fascist takeover in the United States far more likely then a communist revolution. Probably because so many of us are so frustratingly conservative.

Nikolai said:
Not at all Deus.

Pretty much.

Deus Eversor said:
awwww you ruined my trololo song :p

ao to not having this post as ot let me do, no wait, too fascist/nongerman/nonrussian/nonsoviet aars i have not much to say... besides wishing a good beat.. i mean challenging game :p

...moving on.

Doctor Stein said:
Reagan: Imprisoned

Chaplin: Imprisoned

Lovecraft: Executed

This is my rifle; it kills fascists. And I am lookin' to turn this here rifle on a certain fascist named 'Kingfish'!

Yes, Long has imprisoned most of the great Americans. And Reagan too.

Milites said:
Despite the imprisonment of the great leader and his cadre of ideological allies, (Groucho) Marxism shall prevail!

And to be serious for a second here, what a wonderfully grim and depressing AAR you've cooked up Can't wait for more info on the progress of British Holywood and the reaction of the wider world to this fascist cultural revolution.

Don't worry, you'll get your money's worth. (This is America, so of course you will)

welll i meant commies of your kin, i think you guys yell "commies" at anyone left wing ;)
but ye i'm not expecting anything, at least big mason conspiracies wont work without mighty murrican corporations

no hard feelings right? :)

American culture 1936-39

Unlike other Fascist nations in Europe like Germany and Italy, mainstream American culture had never included opera or militarism. The oldest American tradition was one that Long didn't want to encourage: democracy. Other major elements of American culture however, such as conservative family values, old religious traditions, and a strong sense of patriotism, played to Fascism's strengths. Long manipulated these elements through his control of the media and mainstream culture to make the younger generation believe that dictatorship wasn't a bad thing, but a celebrated American tradition.

Education

Long doubled government funding for education, increasing the number of grade schools and high schools and improving literacy in more rural states. Textbooks, which were now free, had to pass through the Department of Information before being released. The most commonly censored area was history. Two of the most efficient and beloved presidents, Andrew Jackson and Teddy Roosevelt, who also believed in a powerful executive branch, were grouped together with Long. It was taught that Long wasn't doing anything wrong by seizing private business, he was just continuing Roosevelt's regulatory practices. Nor was it wrong of him to push past congress to take action, because both Jackson and Roosevelt did that. Such things always happened in democracy. Other authoritarian presidents were also emphasized as being more successful. Other regulations in the school system included the daily recital of an altered pledge of allegiance, in which children swore their loyalty to democracy, America, God... and Great President Long.

american-school-children-bellamy-salute.jpg

Children swearing absolute loyalty to their President just like anyone would

Children were also expected to join a youth organization. Boys joined the Young Patriot's League, and girls became members of The American Girl's Society. Both of these organizations actions seemed fairly harmless, often being compared with the boy scouts or girl scouts. The major difference was that Great President Long was praised at every meeting.

kni-hos01s.jpg

Boys enjoying themselves at a YPL meeting

Hollywood and other Media

The Department of Information had effectively eradicated every major Hollywood star, either imprisoning them or forcing them to flee. This allowed for a new generation of stars to rise while carefully obeying governmental regulations on movie-making. The best known are the southern comedy duo of Ernest and Earl, whose movies are some of the few from the Long period still widely watched. They strictly avoided politics, most of their movies talking place in small southern towns, (and later, for wider appeal, northern towns) and Long loved their folksy humor and invited them to dinner at the White House many times. Their best known movies are Boy oh Boy, (1938) Bird Day, (1939) Yellow-Bellied, (1941) and Ernest and Earl in New York. (1944)

beard.jpg

Ernest (left) and Earl (right) in Boy oh Boy​

Movies were to remain the primary form of entertainment for most Americans, and Hollywood produced as many propaganda films for before movies as they did actual movies. In spite of that, Broadway underwent a strange renaissance of it's own. More musicals were written and performed in 1939 then any other year in American history. When one looks deeper into it however, many of the musicals plots and music were virtually the same. Most of them focused on idealistic versions of rural American life. The best example is Oklahoma!, (1942) which focuses on an idealized rural American town, and the villain is the traveling salesmen Joed Hakim, an implied Jew.

0.jpg

The evil Joed Hakim (right) singing It's All Good Business alongside Ado Annie in the 1947 film adaption of Oklahoma!​

Counter Culture

The greatest legacy of the Long era to American culture was not it's films, plays, or rampant racism. That lies with it's effect on counter culture. Because out of the Long era came the greatest conspiracy theory of all time: The Illuminati. Although it's origins are hard to trace, the conspiracy theory is believed to have originated with Nesta Webster, a British antisemitic. The idea is that a secret society of Jews, all the royal houses of Europe, and every major businessman was part of an organization plotting to install a "New World Order" who were apparently responsible for the Russian Revolution, the First World War, and the French Revolution, among many other things. It certainly fits in with the facist ideals of the time. The Illuminati conspiracy is still embraced by Neo-Kingfish and much of modern counter culture.

Illuminati___All-Seeing_Eye.jpg

The All-Seeing Eye, a supposed symbol of the Illuminati, as seen on a dollar bill

The Big Lie

The one overarching goal of Kingfish propaganda was to plant the biggest lie in American history firmly in the minds of the American people. The lie was that democracy was whatever the Kingfish wanted it to be. Democracy was militarism. Democracy was censorship. Democracy was propaganda. Democracy was government control over all business. Democracy was absolute and unwavering loyalty to one man. And besides, democracy was an American tradition.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Excellent, more adventures in Kingfish land.

We're all happy in Kingfish land, aren't we?

Deus Eversor said:
welll i meant commies of your kin, i think you guys yell "commies" at anyone left wing
but ye i'm not expecting anything, at least big mason conspiracies wont work without mighty murrican corporations

no hard feelings right?

None at all. And speaking of Mason conspiracies...

KotoR45 said:
No Flying Fortress? You BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!! kill off an american classic.....

Wow.

Felicity said:
Very intriguing. You should ban all Russian books too. Screw Dostoevsky and Tolstoy!

They were banned, I just didn't mention it.

To think I admired Long at one point. That admiration is definitely gone now.

*has fled to Britain to live in Rainywood* Hey, at least the redcoats still respect liberty and capitalism!

Great Britain 1936-39

By 1939 Britain was one of the last major democracies left on the planet. They also controlled a significant portion of the planet, nearly a quarter if dominions are included. Regardless of whatever else the brits were, they still respected freedom of speech and their country had become a refuge for Jews, liberals, and intellectuals. Their influence would have an enormous impact on British culture and politics, and Britain's fight for survival.

Oswald Mosley and the Blackshirts

Britain was certainly not without it's own fascist movement. The Union of British Fascists, headed by the demagogic Oswald Mosley, launched rallies praising the success of Germany, Italy, and America, and saying that Fascism could do the same for Britain. At the time the huge amounts of censorship and oppression present within Fascist nations was not known, and many down on their luck British citizens joined the Blackshirts movement. Thousands gathered in London to hear Mosley speak out against Jews, Rainywood, the Liberal, Labour, and Conservative parties, capitalism, and communism. In 1937 the party had a membership of 40,000, not enough to win over the country, but enough to do damage to it.

news-graphics-2008-_663665a.jpg

Mosley speaking before a crowd in London

P.G. Wodehouse and the Black... shorts?

P.G. Wodehouse was a British born comedic author who lived in America until 1937. He was forced to flee the country to avoid the Un-American Activities Committee. This turned him from a man previously uninterested in politics into one of fascism's greatest foes. When back in Britain he began writing the Sir Roderick Spode stories, a gut busting satire of the Union of British Fascists. Sir Roderick was head of the "Blackshorts," and was described as an "amateur dictator." He also ran a women's lingerie shop secretly, and was in love with a kangaroo he owned as a child.

200px-PGWodehouse.jpg

Wodehouse, creator of Sir Roderick Spode

The books became so popular in Britain that an actual Blackshorts movement was started. They would show up at the Blackshirt rallies and set up their own stand, with the actor Henry Kendall playing Spode. His over the top impression of Mosley often brought the crowd to stitches, even if his ridiculous speeches and the silly knee high shorts failed to do so. Several attempts at legal action by Mosley amounted to nothing, and the Blackshirts were finished as a movement by 1940.

RoderickSpode.jpg

Actor John Turner plays Spode in the 1991 movie Glorious Blackshorts!​

Rainywood

Dozens of America's greatest stars had fled for Britain, and they used their combined fortunes to build up a part of London for other American exiles. They also kept doing what they did best, make movies. Humphrey Bogart made the classic Casablanca. (1941) The swashbuckling Errol Flynn stared in The Adventures of Robin Hood, (1938) Soldier of the Skies, (1939) and The Sea Hawk, (1940) to name a few. The sex symbol Mae West made comeback in the West End. The Three Stooges, Larry, Curly, and Moe, were at their most prolific in Rainywood making dozens of movies. In just 1939 they made Dizzy Doctors, Tassels in the Air, We Want Our Mummy, Nutty but Nice, and An Ache in Every Stake. They also produced a number of movies mocking the Nazis and the Kingfish, Commies Commies Everywhere, (1938) Fun Funny Fishes, (1939) You Nazty Spy!, (1940) and I'll Never Heil Again. (1941)

the-three-stooges-1.jpg

The Three Stooges in Fun Funny Fishes​

Although each American star became quite popular in their own way, the most popular films of Rainywood were the Road to... series, the result of a collaboration between Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour. The three hadn't even met before exile, but when they met in London they were all desperate for money, so they wrote, stared in, and directed Road to Panama. (1939) The movies proved an enormous success, and they produced Road to Rio the same year. They then made Road to Mexico, (1940) Road to Bangkok, (1940) Road to Arabia, (1941) Road to Havana, (1942) Road to Alaska, (1943) Road to Zanzibar, (1944) and Road to Bali. (1945) Several others would be made in the fifties and sixties, but it was most popular during the war years. Best known for it's continual breaking of the forth wall, the movies were also at points totally improvised, with no scripts at all for some scenes. Although it was a comedy series, the movies were also musicals, romances, and political satires. The political satire proved a great influence on British public opinion, as the villains of the series were often none to subtle mockeries of Hitler, Mussolini, and Long.

road-3-500.jpg

Bob Hope is kissed by a camel in Road to Arabia​

British science

Britain experienced an influx of scientists from America as well as actors. Albert Einstein ended up working for Oxford University, after a long journey of fleeing from Germany to America and America to Britain. However, the most interesting of the developments was when Robert Oppenheimer began working with British scientist James Chadwick on a highly classified project that was rumored to be the ultimate weapon.

25499223.jpg

James Chadwick, Britain's nuclear physics expert

British politics and military

With all the Anti-Fascist power of the Blackshorts and Rainywood effecting public opinion, the general outrage at the Munich Agreement was a predictable event. Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain's popularity plummeted, and in January 1939 he was voted out of office. His replacement was utterly predicable. The die hard interventionist Winston Churchill became Prime Minister. He announced that "The advance of fascism ends here!" and started a massive military buildup. Poland would not fall.

Sir-Winston-Churchill.jpg

The face all Fascists fear

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
To think I admired Long at one point. That admiration is definitely gone now.

*has fled to Britain to live in Rainywood* Hey, at least the redcoats still respect liberty and capitalism!

Of course they do!

Zzzzz... said:
Freedom is slavery!

And you're a good American for believing that!

Samwell said:
When Long change his name for Big Brother?

I'm extremly curious of the side America will chose in the next war...

Come on, this isn't 1984. Yet.

Nikolai said:
True democracy is fascism!

Come believers of the big lie! Let us destroy the horrid people who tell the "truth."

Britain's anti-fascist spirit is all very well, but unless Rainywood has magicked out another 300 IC for the island this'll end on a downer I fear...

Hm, for now, being exiled to Britain was a good idea it seems.

Let's hope that doesn't change when WWII begins.

Not to nit pick, I am aware of the different spelling but Labour party is the official name of the party, so the ''u'' shouldn't be left out as if you where talking about labour/labor unions or such.

Ripping read.

Ah, I'm really liking this timeline's version of Britain. Here's hoping it isn't smothered by the forces of America and Germany though.