• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you considered trying to write a novel out of this? You seem to be getting the size right? ;) :)

You're the second person to say something along those lines, the first being my proofreader :). While it's a nice idea, it's unfortunately not possible due to the copyright rules here on Paradox, but that's okay. One of the main reasons I decided to write this story is in order to learn more about writing and maybe get some feedback while I'm at it :). Hopefully I'm doing a good job of entertaining everyone who reads this, and by the steady increase in views after each update I think I have a reason to be optimistic in this regard :).

Part V – A new life

In the last weeks before our arrival in Calradia, Captain Stavros had taken me aside to tell me of my duties once we reached our destination. While I would also be working as a scribe, my main job would be that of translator. For this task he began by teaching me what he had managed to pick up during his previous trips. I learned quickly, and after two weeks I surprised the Captain by speaking Calradian as well as he did. Once we had restocked our supplies in Shariz we began traveling up and down the coast.

One of the first things to strike me about this new land was how cold it was. I had expected it to be summer when we arrived, but instead the weather was cool and rainy, and it got colder the further North we went. I mentioned this to the Captain and he told me that it was winter in Calradia. For some reason no one had been able to explain the seasons seemed to be reversed. I found this odd, but no matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't find an answer, and even now this strange fact continues to puzzle me.

At first I accompanied the Captain ashore in each port we stopped at, mostly just listening to him as he negotiated and taking notes when necessary. This helped me greatly as I was able to pick up much of the new language. I would also go out into the market when I had time and talk to the various shopkeepers, asking them general questions or the names of their products, thus expanding my vocabulary. After only a month of this I spoke better Calradian than anybody on the ship, and by the end of the expedition I was fluent in all the dialects I had encountered.

The easiest to learn were the Rhodok and Swadian ones, mainly because of their similarity. Of the five I dealt with during my work, they seemed to represent the purest form of the Calradian language. The rules of their grammar seemed to be quite uniform, and the two shared most of their words. In fact the difference between them lay more in the meaning and pronunciation of certain words than in the words themselves. For me it was clear that those two peoples had shared a common history. The Sarranid, Vaegir and Nord dialects, on the other hand, were quite a different story. As far as I could tell, they were about as different from the Rhodok and Swadian ones as they were from each other, their grammar seemed like a patchwork of different pieces that didn't quite fit together and each had numerous words that sounded out of place when compared to others. While I can't be sure of this, I have a feeling that the peoples of these kingdoms were more recent arrivals to this land and that they had imperfectly adopted the language of the old Empire I had been told of.

It took more than a year to complete all the trading that had to be done and in all this time we visited just about every major port on the Calradian coast. With us we had brought various luxury items such as cotton clothing, well made carpets, and foods that did not exist here. One of the main goods we traded were jewels and raw gems, but of all the items in the cargo hold, the most unusual were the three clocks. While common back in the Twelve Cities, they were a rarity in Calradia and there were many who would pay handsomely to own one. Because of the dangers of the journey, they had to be transported in pieces and then assembled once a buyer had been found, so each expedition had one master clock-maker along for the job. I actually spoke to the man once, and he told me that in recent years the Rhodoks had made great strides in learning how to build clocks as well. In his opinion they were still crude copies, but it signaled to him that sooner or later it would no longer be profitable for him to make this journey.

From the Calradians we bought many expensive items as well. There were spices, dates and exotic weavings from the Sarranids, furs from the Vaegirs, mead and quality linen items from the Nords or Whisky from the Swadians. Some of the most prized items, however came from the lands of the Rhodoks. Jelkalan silk and velvet were some of the most sought after, as were olives and Velucan wine. While we did have grapes and wine back in the Twelve Cities, ours was white and could not compare to the rich flavor of Velucan wine, or so I was told. Also, there were many strange cheeses that were considered delicacies back home.

While my departure from Athiana had been quite painful, my arrival in Calradia had been easier, mostly because I had some time to get used to my new home. I could choose to forget, for a time at least, that sooner or later the Fair Wind would be returning without me. This moment, of course, came in the month that Calradians call March. It was then that Captain Stavros told me that Buvran would be the Fair Wind's last stop in this land. Of course, I did at first consider returning to the Twelve Cities, hoping that my long absence would have been enough for the Magistrate's anger to fade. But after telling this to the Captain I was forced to accept that it was nothing but pure fantasy. A man who was willing to pay ten thousand Ducats to have me killed, he said, would probably pursue me until one of us was dead. My fate was sealed and there was no going back. So with a heavy heart I bid my farewells to the Captain and the crew and watched from the quay as my last link with the past was forever broken, then went off to face the strange new life that was before me.

And that concludes Valerian's backstory. I hope you've all liked it :). It's a part of the story I've had prepared in my head ever since I got the idea for this AAR and I've really enjoyed transforming it into something other people can enjoy as well :). We'll be making one more pass through Buvran in Chapter VIII so I can tie up some loose ends, but apart from that it's all a mystery to me. My last save is just after Valerian escaped in the middle of the desert and I haven't played at all since then, so I hope you will have as much fun finding out what new adventures await Valerian as I will :).

P.S. Happy New Year everybody! :)

You're the second person to say something along those lines, the first being my proofreader :). While it's a nice idea, it's unfortunately not possible due to the copyright rules here on Paradox, but that's okay.

[...]

P.S. Happy New Year everybody! :)

Of course you'd have to change names and setting - either to our world or another one. But still, inspirational help is nice. And Happy New Year to you too :)

Thank you loki. I'm glad you like it and thank you for your vote :)

To all my readers, I have a little announcement. The fourth round of the ACAs for 2012 has started! :D

So if you liked my little story, drop by this thread and give me a vote :).

I'm sorry for the long delay, but I've moved to another city and it's been quite a hectic time for me. I kept trying to find some time to write but something just kept coming up. But now Chapter VIII is done and I already have a good idea about what to write in Chapter IX :).

This one came out a bit longer than I wanted, but since the game gave me a surprise peace I decided to try and compress it all one chapter.

Also, I've decided to add a Table of Contents to the beginning of the thread, as well as an extra layer of organization to the story, the book. This is both because I expect this story to quite long by the time I finish it (possibly more than the 20-30 chapters I first expected) and it would be easier if I started now, but also in order to emphasize the story arcs I have in my head. This is not only a story about the events of the game, but also about how they affect Valerian. So all chapters up until VII are now part of Book I - Valerian the Exile and Chapter VIII begins a new book in order to reflect the changes in Valerian's outlook on things.

One more thing. Voting in the ACA's will close on the 1st of February, so if anybody else wants to vote, this is the time :). And thank you to the ones who've already voted :).

Of course you'd have to change names and setting - either to our world or another one. But still, inspirational help is nice. And Happy New Year to you too :)

Sorry that I missed your reply last time, but I was exited at getting my first ever vote in the ACA's. :eek:o

I don't think I'd like to do that since I would feel like I'm repeating myself. I'd rather just try and make up a whole new story from scratch, just for the challenge of it :).

Book II - A changed man

Chapter VIII – Homecoming

May 5th 1258, Ruldi

I don't know why I'm still surprised by how much my life can change in a short amount of time, but that is nonetheless the feeling I get as I look back on both the events of the last year as well as the last few days. For the first time I've gathered the courage to read my entire journal so far and I can't help but be struck by how different I am from the man I was then. And recent events have done even more to change my outlook on my own life. But I guess I should start with what happened in Shariz, just before boarding the ship that brought me here.

Once the caravan arrived at it's final destination Muhtar once again invited me to join him for tea. I had hoped that he would have been sufficiently pleased with my work as a clerk for the remainder of the journey so as to actually pay me, but that was not what he had in mind. Instead he offered me the position of his current scribe and made sure to emphasize how he had both rescued me from certain death and gotten me out of the dessert, despite having no obligation to do so. No doubt he was hoping to capitalize on my knowledge of overseas trade and to be perfectly honest I did seriously consider his offer. After all, the pay would have been quite generous and I would no longer have to have to face the hard challenges of army life every day. The only thing that stopped me was, ironically, Muhtar himself. I've met quite a few merchants in my life so far and he struck me as one of the more unsavory sort, the kind of merchant that would sell his own mother if he could get away with it. Working for such a man did not appeal to me, so to his surprise and my own, I turned down the offer. While at the beginning of our discussion his tone had been relatively friendly, it soon took a harsher note as he tried in vain to persuade me to reconsider. By the end, I had the impression that he would have tried blackmailing me into joining him, if only he had possessed the means to do so. Instead he was forced to let me go, and as I walked towards Shariz from the field where the caravan was parked I felt confident that I had made the right decision.

Inside the city I first searched for a moneylender that would exchange my lone promissory note for some silver and had only minor difficulties in doing so. With one hundred and fifty Denars in hand I then looked for an inn where I could spend the night, and the next day I went to the port to look for a ship that could take me back to the Kingdom of Rhodoks. This proved surprisingly easy as many neutral traders had come to capitalize on the lack of direct trade between the two realms during the war. For seventy Denars I was able to book passage on a Vaegir ship bound for Buvran and the journey was uneventful, save for my bout of nostalgia.

I must admit that it felt strange to be in Buvran once again. The first time I had been there it was a depressing experience, but this time what I felt was joy, the joy that comes when you know that you've returned home. It was then that I realized that my journal had worked its magic once more and that I had been purified of my pain at last, and I understood that this land, so wildly different from what I had been used to, had now become my new home. Despite having lost everything, I had gained in its place something new, a life full of adventure and boundless prospects for the future. I felt a wave of energy wash over me and I became eager to rejoin Count Rimusk's army just to see where this strange journey would take me next. Unfortunately my enthusiasm was somewhat tempered when I inquired how the war had been going. As it turned out Almerra Castle had fallen to the Sarranids in the time I had spent in the desert. This was disturbing news, but not surprising considering how brutal the war with the Swadians had been.

I left the town the next day after my arrival, traveling along the same route I had taken over a year before. As with my arrival in Buvran, the journey itself was different. All the sights and sounds that had once been alien to me were now familiar and comforting, strengthening my belief that I had now gotten over the pain of my exile. I traveled with a small caravan heading for Jelkala, and along the way we met up with many peasants that were also heading there as well. Unfortunately I did not encounter the ones that I had traveled with last time, though I would have liked to see how they had fared in the last year.

I spent only one night in Jelkala, making my way slowly East towards Ruldi and the Lord I was still bound to by the contract I had signed. Along the way I passed through the villages I had done my best to warn of Count Meltor's approach, and a few people recognized me and gave me food and shelter as a sign of gratitude. When I finally arrived in Ruldi yesterday I was quite tired from the trip so I went straight to the citadel overlooking the town. At the gates I told the guards who I was, and despite being sunburned from my months in the wilderness I was actually recognized by some of the soldiers. I was given food and water, then told to go and see the Castellan. He informed me that I was thought to be dead following Count Rimusk's defeat and he then asked me to tell him about what had happened to me after that battle. I did so in brief, and the further along I went with my tale the greater the surprise on his face grew. After I had finished he commended me for both my skill and my loyalty, then allowed me to leave and rest for the night.

Today, as I was eating my breakfast in the great hall, a servant came and told me that I was invited to the Count's table on the dais. Apparently, after being informed by the Castellan of my return, he had become interested in hearing my tale for himself. Once I was at his table he ordered the servants to bring me some good food and some wine, I ate what was probably the best meal I've had since arriving in Calradia, then I began telling him of my exploits after the battle where he had been defeated. As I talked, he often laughed and commended me for my resourcefulness, his mood only darkening when I reached the battle where I was forced to flee for my life, but lightening when I described how I tried to warn the villages of his lands. Of all my exploits, he seemed to be most impressed with my escape from Emir Muhnir and my subsequent journey out of the desert.

“Valerian”, he said once I had finished, “if the bards ever heard all of this they'd probably make a hundred songs out of your story! I'm sure most men wouldn't have survived even half of what you've been through, and that shows just how good you really are. And on top of all that, you showed great loyalty by returning here when you could have settled down to a comfortable life with that lardy Sarranid merchant or joined a band of mercenaries. I like that sort of loyalty in a man!” He then grinned, aware that what he was about to say next would surely take me by surprise. “While you might be young, your experience would probably put some of my veterans to shame, and I think that's worth a promotion. With Jored gone and so many of my men slain I need every skilled soldier I can get, so I want you to take Jored's place as a Sergeant, responsible for training the new recruits and keeping them organized during battle. This means you will also get payed two hundred and fifty Denars per month, as well as having access some of the better equipment in my armory. What do you say?”

It took me a few seconds to realize that my jaw had dropped and only the Count's laughter clued me in. I stumbled to find my words and eventually told him that it would be an honor. He was pleased by my response and told me to see his Castellan, Boswig regarding my equipment and my new duties.

I found him in the courtyard scolding the blacksmith over some armor that had turned out to be too brittle, but he quickly abandoned the conversation when he spotted me approaching. “I'm glad your here, Valerian” he said in a welcoming tone. “Count Rimusk has already told me about you promotion and tasked me with teaching you what I can about your new duties. I'm sure this seems a little overwhelming, but I'm confident you'll do just fine.” He paused as we walked over to a bench to sit down, then resumed. “As a Sergeant you will be responsible for a group of about thirty men. Your main job is to train them and make sure they execute their orders as part of the formation, but while in the field you will also have to make sure that they are well fed and that their morale remains high.”Of all my duties, feeding my men appealed to me the least since I knew quite well how armies around here obtained their food, but to the Castellan I just nodded in agreement. “Other than that” he said “your duties remain will remain the same as before.”

Afterwards he took me to the armory where the Master-of-Arms let me pick out my new equipment. While the new armor was a clear improvement on what I had used until now it did not fit me well so the blacksmith would have to adjust it before I could wear it in battle. For the rest of the day I talked with the Castellan and the other Sergeants, asking many more questions or watching them as they drilled their men and trying to learn as much as I could.

Now it's evening and I've decided to turn in for the night. Tomorrow a new lot of recruits will arrive and among them will be the ones that I will be training. I'm feeling quite nervous about all this since I'm really not sure I'm up to the task and, to make matters worse, I've been told that in a week Count Rimusk intends to march out for war. I don't know what miracle he expects me to do, but I guess I have no choice but to try. At least I was able to get myself some wine from the kitchens. Considering how nervous I am I don't think I could fall asleep without it.

May 12th 1258, Ruldi

It's been a busy, hectic week but I've finally received some good news. Just as we were making the final preparations for the march a messenger from the King arrived. He told the Count that King Graveth had just signed a truce with the Sarranids, ceding Almerra Castle in the process. While Count Rimusk seemed to be quite angry at this news, I felt relieved. The new recruits I've received are nothing more than farmers who've been given a spear and a week would have been too little time for me to do anything with them. I tried sparring with them to see just what they knew and I fear they wouldn't have even survive a tavern brawl, let alone a battle. At least now I should have the time I need to train them properly.

Peacemodified_zps9e313d9d.jpg

May 25th 1258

Despite my worries I seem to be handling my new job well enough. I've begun teaching my men what I know of fighting with a spear and they seem to be learning well, but there's still a lot to do. While the spear is a simple weapon, using it as part of a formation is the real challenge and they are far from being able to do that. For now they still fight and move as individuals and I'll need to get them to act as one. But there's time.
Other than this there hasn't been anything worth writing about. I do guard duty on the walls and I've gone out on patrol a few times, but it's all been peaceful around here. There is talk of bandits higher up in the mountains, but they don't seem to venture this close to the town.

June 13th 1258

I witnessed a strange scene this morning. Count Fraichin came in to visit Count Rimusk yesterday, and while I didn't catch him coming in, I did see him when he left. It was dawn and I was on duty on the walls overlooking the stables. Count Fraichin was there with all his retainers preparing to leave. This seemed odd to me by itself since it hadn't even been a full day since he had arrived.

Even from that distance I could tell that the Count was fuming and all those around him seemed to be very tense. At one point, one of our stable-boys who was saddling up Count Fraichin's horse somehow managed to scare the animal and it threw off the equipment. To my surprise the Count flew into a rage and began beating the helpless boy mercilessly. If his men hadn't intervened and pulled him away I'm afraid he would have beaten the poor lad to death.

After a few moments he finally managed to calm down a bit, but the tension was now worse than ever. Some servants came and took the boy to the sleeping quarters to mend his wounds while the other stablehands finished preparing the horses for Fraichin's departure and after what had happened we were all glad to see him go.

Since then I've kept wondering why he would lash out like that. While the boy did make a mistake, it certainly wasn't bad enough to be killed over. To me it looked like Count Fraichin was just looking for an excuse to beat someone up, but if so then why? What would upset him so much? Hopefully when I go to eat my evening meal there will be some worthwhile rumors that can answer these questions.

June 14th

It turns out Count Rimusk had the answers I was looking for. A few hours ago he gathered everyone up and announced (with about as much bitterness as joy) that King Graveth, in recognition of his service during the war, had given him the fief of Buvran. The town had belonged to Count Fraichin before and this definitely explains why he was so angry the other day. But this raises an even bigger question: why would King Graveth do something like that? I'm sure he was aware that such an act would cause tension, so why do it? And why Count Rimusk? After all, he was too wounded to fight for most of the war. Why was his contribution so important? I'm going to see if any of the veterans around here can give me an explanation. They've known the Count for years and should have some insights about this.

June 14th, evening

I've talked to Boswig and it was quite enlightening. Apparently this is just normal politics around here. The two Counts have been close friends since they were children and Count Fraichin has always been openly critical of King Graveth for years. During the last war he even went as far as refusing to mobilize his armies at the King's behest. Now with the war over it seems that King Graveth has found a way of not only punishing Count Fraichin, but also a way to drive a wedge between the two friends. Losing the rich port of Buvran is a severe blow to Count Fraichin and a boon for Count Rimusk so there is no surprise he accepted it. But on the other hand Count Rimusk is no fool and he knows he's being used. That certainly explains the bitterness I saw in him earlier today.

June 19th

We all received new orders today. Count Rimusk intends to move his residence to Buvran and give Ruldi to an uncle of his, Count Gutlans of Yalen. He's given us a month to make the preparations, and while Ruldi Castle is small compared to Jamiche or Haringoth it's still going to be a massive task.

I asked Boswig why Count Rimusk wouldn't just keep this fief as well and he said it just wouldn't be worth it. With all the taxes and tariffs of Buvran the Count would make at least five times as much money as he did in Ruldi. But if he were to keep both fiefs he would have to garrison them, and that would just eat away from his income. Ruldi is quite poor, he said, and giving it away would be in his best interest now that he has a better option.

I've grown to like Boswig. He's a good man and he's helped me out a lot since my promotion with advice, as well as helping me understand the strange politics of this land. I'm not sure why he helps me so much, but he did once say that I have a lot of potential. I wonder what exactly he meant by that.

August 1st 1258, Buvran

Finally it's done! I never would have imagined that there could be so many things in a small castle, but it took us the better part of a month to prepare everything, move it, then set it all up again here in Buvran. Every day, from dawn till dusk we'd work, and the once boring guard duty suddenly became the only relief we'd manage to get.

I have to admit that I like it here a lot more than in Ruldi. First of all it's a lot warmer than it was up there in the mountains and that suits me just fine. Secondly, it's close to the sea and despite being much smaller than Venira, it feels a lot like my old home. I might even consider living here once I decide to settle down.

Unfortunately Boswig is not here since he had to remain in Ruldi with a few soldiers until it's new owner can move in. From what I've heard it will actually go to Count Gutlans' son, Tribidan.

Count Rimusk has promised us that he'll give us some leave just as soon as Boswig can return with the rest of the troops. I hope it doesn't take too long. I haven't had any true leave since the war with the Swadians ended and I'd really like some time for myself.

August 11th

Boswig is back and Count Rimusk has given more than half of us two weeks leave. I'm not really sure what to do in that time but since there will be a tournament in Jelkala soon I think I'll head there.

August 15th 1258, Jelkala

Well, we're here. More than a dozen of us decided to come here for the tournament so I'm in good company. Unfortunately it will be another five days until it actually starts, so we have some time to kill. We'll be heading for a tavern that we've heard doesn't water down their ale. I guess it should be fun!

August 17th

Well, I got into a tavern brawl this night. There were some Swadian caravan guards there and once we realized where they came from insults started to fly. This went on until one of the Swadians said something about one of my friend's mother, and all hell broke loose. To be honest I really didn't want to get involved, considering how my last tavern fight ended, but this wasn't so bad. I got a black eye from the whole affair, but I think I broke the nose of the one who did it. The city guards came in and broke it up soon after and now we're back at the inn. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of the incident since the last thing I need is to be battered and bruised when the tournament starts.

August 20th

Tournament1a-paradox_zpsd6308a56.jpg

I can't believe it! I've won again! It was amazing, hearing my name cheered by the crowd once I had won. I've heard that there are some people that make a living exclusively out of tournaments and I can see why it would be so appealing. This time I've also managed to get more than two thousand Denars out of it. Even better, as part of the prize I've received a horse. Such animals are quite rare in this Kingdom and it's an honor to own one.

I'm not sure what to do with it though. I took some basic riding lessons in Praven when the Fair Wind was stuck in port for a month, but while they did save my life once already, I'm not good enough to ride it into battle. I could sell it, but somehow that doesn't appeal to me. I have a lot of money already and this is a well bred animal from what I've been told. I think I'll just see if I can leave it in the castle's stables and maybe get some lessons from someone there.

On yet another good note, some of my friends also bet on me today and made a pretty penny as well. So now we're off to celebrate. Hopefully there won't be any trouble this time, but I doubt anyone is stupid enough to pick a fight with the winner of the tournament.

August 21st

Damn, am I ever hungover! I drank way too much last night and spent over five hundred Denars. I think I even bough two rounds for everyone in the tavern, but I can't remember clearly. Unfortunately the memory of my friends is just as foggy as mine so there's no way for me to know for sure other than going back and asking. Even more annoying is that my companions told me we also went to a brothel afterwards, but I can't recall a single thing!

I'm going to go by Enero's just as soon as my head stops pounding to put my money in a safe place. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll leave Jelkala poorer than I arrived. After that we should head back to Buvran, since our leave ends soon.

August 31st 1258, Buvran

I'm back to the old routine and after the excitement of my leave it's quite mind-numbing. I go on patrol or guard the walls and the rest of the time I train my men. They've improved quite a lot since we started and now they also work well as a team. I'm quite proud of myself, but I'm also nervous. In about a week Boswig wants to see how all the soldier act as a single unit and I hope I've done a good job. I guess all I can do now is wait and see.

September 8th

Today didn't go so well. While to me it seemed like my men were doing well, when put inside of a larger battle-line they responded much slower than the other soldiers. This earned me a scolding from Boswing, and as friendly as he can be when things are going well, it's a very big mistake to raise his ire. So far I've avoided using the lash and they've been quite grateful for that, but I may have to reconsider this idea. I know my father employed it quite often to discipline his men so and I have no doubt he had a good reason for doing so. I guess I should start following his example in this matter.

October 10th

Not much to write about again. The training is going well, and while my men don't like me as much as they once did, they are now responding to commands much better than before.

I heard recently that a ship from some distant land had arrived in port and I went to see if it was from the Twelve Cities. Unfortunately it was not. It came from some land south of a place called Geroia. It's a pity really as I would have liked to hear some news from back home.

November 4th

Boswig decided to see how the training was going and this time he was pleased. He even said that my men would be given some better equipment and pay as a result. This will certainly improve their spirits.

I've also begun my riding lessons now, with Boswig as my teacher. He's been quite busy these past few months setting up Count Rimusk's household here in Buvran, but now things have settled down for him.

December 24th

I'm on leave again and I'm off to Jelkala once more. There will be a tournament to celebrate the new year there and I'm confident I can win again.

January 2nd 1259, Jelkala

This time the tournament didn't go so well. I managed to get as far as the fifth round, but then I got knocked out. I was fighting alone against Dranton, whom I later found out was a career fighter. I was armed with a sword and shield while he had just a sword. We fought for quite a while, me staying on the defensive while he tried in vain to harm me. At one point I noticed an opening in his defenses and lunged at him with my sword, only to find that it was a feint. He sidestepped, got behind me and hit me in the back with his practice sword. That sent me falling and before I could recover he was on top of me and told me to yield. I would have tried to throw him off if this was a real fight, but by the rules of the tournament I had lost. The worst thing about it was that I had foolishly bet five hundred Denars on myself and my friends also put a lot of money on me so our mood is quite sour right now and no one wants to talk to me. It will no doubt pass, but for now I feel horrible.

I guess this should be a lesson for me about overconfidence. Ever since returning from the desert I've felt quite optimistic about everything and I realize now that I should have tempered it a little. Had that been a real battlefield, for example, I might not have lived long enough to learn that lesson.

February 7th 1259, Buvran

I had a little bit of excitement today. I was out on patrol and as we were returning for the night we came across a group of peasants that were being harassed by some bandits. They fled as soon as they saw us but we were able to catch up to them and a brief fight ensued. Two were killed as a result but the rest surrendered. Now they are locked safely in the dungeons and will probably be hanged soon.

Chasingbandits-paradox_zps3440225b.jpg

Chasing bandits

March 12th

My riding lessons are going well and Boswig says that with a few more months of training I could become a scout in the Count's service. That would certainly be a nice change of pace for me, and I hear the pay is also better.

March 23rd

Another foreign ship docked here three days ago and this one was from Athiana. It was quite refreshing to speak a familiar language once more and I spent some time talking to the Captain, mostly asking about how things were back home. The Cities are just as they were when I left, with only a small trade dispute between Athiana and Carthallo having occurred. I asked about Captain Stavros and it turns out he retired after the last voyage. It warmed my heart to learn that he made it back safely since I knew just how dangerous the journey could be.

I also wrote three letters and gave them to the Captain to deliver. One was for Captain Stavros, another for Captain Evanghelos and one for my father letting him know that I was fine and telling him of my exploits here. Unfortunately I also learned that the Magistrate was still in power in Venira, though I don't know if he's given up on his quest to have me killed.

Now that I think of it I'm not so sure if it was such a good idea to send those letters, but there's no turning back now since the ship set sail for Yalen this afternoon. I just have to hope that the Magistrate doesn't hear about where I am now. But still, would he actually be so obsessed about killing me that he would actually pay an assassin to come all the way here just to do it? And would he even be able to find anyone willing to risk the journey? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But even if he does do it I'm not as vulnerable as I once was. I've become a very good fighter in the past two years and it would be hard for a foreigner to sneak into the castle unnoticed.

April 6th 1259

A royal messenger came to the castle today and a few hours later Count Rimusk made an announcement. King Graveth has just declared war on the Sarranids and intends to retake Almerra Castle. While a war can mean the chance of death I actually feel excited. The past year has been quite boring and I welcome the change. Now I have to go since there are a lot of preparations to be made before we can head off.

Last edited:
Chapter IX – The Battle of Rimusk's ford

May 3rd 1259, outside Veluca

Once again it's been quite a busy period for me. Count Rimusk was quite eager to set out to war, so he wanted us make the preparations in record time. From what I've gathered so far, it seems the Count is quite enamored with warfare and the other veterans say that he is always eager to prove himself in battle. While I'm sure this is not something unusual in this troubled land, I've found out that it sometimes makes him quite reckless with his own safety and that of his men. Quite a worrying fact, to be sure.

As part of the preparations, Count Rimusk made a call for extra volunteers to fight in the war, and more than a few showed up to join. Some of them were put into my care, raising the number of men I lead to forty-three. While some have fought in previous wars and are already familiar with battle, others are just eager youths who want to make a name for themselves. This is causing me problems even now as many lack sufficient training and discipline. I worry as to how they will fare on the battlefield but the other Sergeants seem less preoccupied by this, saying that many have been taken in merely as sword-fodder. This made me realize for the first time that I had been allowed to join for much the same reasons, and memories of my first months in the army came flooding back for a while. While I somehow managed to survive and even prosper, I don't know if my men will be as fortunate.

The logistical aspect of the campaign has so far not been a problem. The Count had ample food reserves set aside for just such a situation and along the way many towns have also provided us with supplies. It seems there is some sort of obligation on their part to support the army in this fashion. With supplies plentiful, the Quartermaster has been quite generous with the amount of food he is willing to give out, but I suspect this will change the longer the campaign lasts. Also, once we are in enemy territory I fear I will have to go out foraging and I am not eager to do that at all.

We are now camped near Veluca once more and it seems this town is something of a favored staging point for armies. In Buvran, I had the rare opportunity to consult a map of Calradia from the Count's library, and it does make a sense that armies would gather here given its position within the Kingdom.

So far only the Marshal, Count Gerluchs, and a few other Lords have arrived so we will not be moving out any time soon. This is good news for me since I have some time to train the newest recruits a bit. I doubt I can do much, but any little bit will probably help.

June 4th 1259, outside Almerra Castle

Today we arrived outside the wooden walls of our objective. We have met no resistance so far, in fact we were welcomed by the villages we passed through. The town of Saren (which had also fallen to the Sarranids in the last war) would have been our first siege, but there was a revolt within it's walls soon after our arrival and the its small garrison was overpowered from the inside. This certainly is a good start to the campaign and I hope that our good fortune will hold. Soon we will begin building the siegeworks, though the castle's position (at the top of a hill and surrounded by a deep canyon on three sides) means that there is little we need to do to keep it isolated. Unfortunately it also means the we can only approach it from one direction in case of an assault which would mean heavy casualties for us. Hopefully it will not come to that.

June 9th

Not much has been going on so far. An emissary from our side was sent to the castle a day after our arrival to demand the garrison's surrender, but they refused. Ever since then we have been simply waiting. The enemy archers have killed a few who strayed too close to the walls, but otherwise they have been unable to do anything else. Our supplies are good and morale is high, though water has been hard to come by. The nearest stream is quite some distance away and every day we have to travel for several hours on broken terrain in order to get more.

I have been using this time to train my men a bit more, but the results are mixed. While some have been learning well, others have not. They are all eager, but some have no natural inclination towards fighting and I fear they will make mediocre soldiers at best. I'm not happy with this at all but the Count has actually praised me on my performance so far.

About the Count, he seems quite irritable as of late. While my interactions with him so far have been pleasant, I have seen him arguing with the Marshal and other Lords quite often. I think he was hoping for a large field battle, not a slow siege. This is troubling, but as far as I can tell the Marshal is in control of the situation for the moment.

June 12th

Bad news today. A messenger came and told Count Gerluchs that the Swadians have just declared war. This is starting to look like a repeat of the last war, only in reverse. Already some of the Lords have begun preparing to leave north and the Marshal has ordered us to be ready for an assault. It seems some of my worst fears have been realized. I'm tense now. The last time I participated in an assault I nearly died, and as a Sergeant I will be expected to be among the first to climb the ladders. I hope this is not going to be the last entry I will ever make.

June 14th 1259, inside Almerra Castle

The castle is ours and I survived! It was brutal, it was bloody, but we've won! It's such a relief to know that it's all over!

The assault began early this morning. Most of us advanced towards the walls carrying ladders and protected by large wooden mantlets, while a few others pushed a ram towards the gate. The crossbowmen followed closely behind us, peppering the enemy with bolts then retreating behind the mantlets to reload. The Sarranids replied in kind, firing a hale of arrows at us, including flaming arrows meant to set our defenses on fire. While they mostly held, the ram was set aflame just before reaching the gate thus putting the burden of the assault on us. While many fell long before reaching the walls to enemy arrows we did not stop and once the ladders were up we began making the dangerous climb to the top. Even more died as the Sarranids tried to push our ladders away or threw heavy stones at us, but we pushed on regardless of the casualties.

Mantelet_zps70091a20.png

During the First Empire siege warfare had evolved considerably, with many complex pieces of equipment being used on a common basis. But by the time of Valerian much of this technology had been lost and assaults tended to be bloody affairs decided more by a willingness to take casualties. Only the most rudimentary equipment (such as mantlets, rams and ladders) were normally used, with even siege towers being a rarity.

I was among the first to go up and all throughout memories of Haringoth Castle played out in my head as arrows flew past me and men fell screaming to their deaths around me. Yet somehow I and a few others managed to get to the top, only to find ourselves surrounded by enemies with murder in their eyes. I fought desperately just to stay alive, hoping that more allies would manage to arrive in time to help fend off the horde that surrounded us. They did come, but many found themselves slayed soon after setting foot on the wall. The only sound I could hear anymore were the screams of the dying and all I could see was blood and death. As desperation took hold of me more and more I began to feel strangely detached from the carnage around me. I became a spectator of my own body as I slayed enemy after enemy, blocking, cutting, dodging, cutting again and drawing a scream of pain from the man whose arm I had just severed. But sounds became strange and the din of battle seemed muted, as if I was in a dream. In the chaos, a Sarranid somehow managed to land a blow with his sword, but there was no pain. Nothing was left, except motion. An overhead chop leaves an enemy nearly cut in half, blood spewing forth. A push from my large shield sends another flying of the wall, his scream of terror almost silent in my ears. Block, parry, cut, and then all over again. This went on for what seemed like hours, but time was didn't exist anymore. Nothing but endless motion. Slowly we began pushing them back and more of us managed to climb safely into the maelstrom of battle. As the danger passed and hope replaced desperation the dream ended, the sounds became crisp and clear and I was once more in control of myself.

As our small pocket grew more and more, we split up in two groups, one to the left and one to the right, clearing the way of enemies. For some time now I have favored the cleaver as a weapon as it's sharp, heavy blade can cut through all but the heaviest of armors. In the tight confines of the walls however it became something of a liability since I didn't have the room needed to use it properly, and the lack of a sharp tip made it useless for thrusting. So I used my shield to protect me as I made overhead chops, but became vulnerable while I did so. Fortunately the armor I had received was very good, and otherwise killing cuts became nothing but painful bruises.

Eventually we managed to take the fight to the courtyard as the enemy's numbers began to dwindle. Here it was much easier to fight and the Sarranids were soon forced to retreat into the keep. We paused for a time to rest and open the gates for the rest of our force to enter and to bring in the remnants of the ram. We used it to break down the heavy wooden door to the keep and then resumed our assault. Inside, what remained of the garrison fought desperately for survival, but they were forced to retreat ever higher into the keep until they were finally cornered in a room at the top, where we disposed of them for good.

Almerrakeep-paradox_zps70267df5.jpg

The Battle Ends

Now the castle is ours and we will be staying here for a few days. Many died in the assault and just as many have been wounded, among them being three of my men. This saddens me, but that's just how war works. There is no avoiding death on a battlefield. I've come out better than most with only a few shallow cuts and a lot of bruises. My new armor is very good, but I'll have to see the blacksmith to get it fixed in a few places. I'll also have to make sure my men get as much of the plunder as possible, with better weapons and armor being the first thing to look for.

July 2nd 1259, outside Veluca

Just a few days after we retook Almerra Castle the order to move out was given. The Marshal and a few other lords left to raid in Sarranid territory, while Count Rimusk and the rest have gone north, towards the border with Swadia. Right now we're camped outside Veluca in order to resupply, but we will be leaving soon.

Since there is a good chance that we will have to face Swadian Knights, I think it's time I talked to my men about how it is to have to stand your ground in the face of a charge. They've certainly received the training needed, but it's something quite different to face it for real. When the earth trembles from the force of thousands of hooves pounding into the ground as heavily armored horsemen charge towards you it's impossible not to feel a sense of desperation. But hopefully a few of my stories will help reinforce the idea that we can not only survive such an encounter, but actually come out victorious if we stick to our training.

July 10th 1259, the Swadian border

We've moved closer to the border now and we've intercepted some small Swadian raiding parties. They haven't been a challenge so far, but sooner or later they will probably come in force.

The army has now split into individual warbands, with each Lord going out on his own. Count Rimusk has said we will go raiding across the border along wit Count Laruqen, but for now they is waiting to see what the scouts have to report.

While at Almerra the Count seemed restless, now he is being strangely cautious. I had expected us to cross the border as soon as we reached it, but perhaps his defeat two years ago has tempered his more reckless side.
July 12th 1259 near the border

Our scouts returned today with some troubling news. Apparently there is a large Swadian force heading our way led by a Count named Grainwad. This force is larger than our own from what I've heard and has many Knights. Soon we will move out and try to stop them from crossing the border and battle seems inevitable. It looks like raiding will have to wait, but Count Rimusk seems pleased with this new development.

July 17th, 1259

Today we arrived outside Uxkhal and thankfully we will be staying here for a few days to rest. With the battle now over many of us are wounded, some quite badly, and any small respite is more than welcome.

The battle took place on July 15th when we finally came face to face with the enemy army. The border of the two kingdoms after the last war was on the Eboro River and we were on its southern bank at the time. Count Grainwad tried in vain to outmaneuver us and find an undefended crossing, but after two days he gave up and decided to try and force his way past us.

The battle took place where the river narrowed significantly, offering an excellent crossing point for anyone wishing to do so. Our force, along with that of Count Laruqen, was about two thousand strong with the enemy's being slightly larger, made up mostly of infantry but with a strong contingent of Knights. Count Rimusk wisely decided to take up a strong defensive position along the ford instead of taking more aggressive action, though I suspect Count Laruqen's influence also played a part in that decision. From previous battles I had expected the enemy to first attempt to weaken us with missiles and infantry assaults, but Count Grainwad seemed to be quite confident in his chances and sent his Knights in a headlong charge against our line. When the horsemen had closed about half the distance between our two armies the crossbowmen let loose a carefully timed volley that took out the entire first row of cavalry. Some of the Knights that survived but had their mount killed right under them soon faced an even worse fate as they were trampled to death by their still-charging brethren. Three or four more such volley were sent out, thinning the enemy's numbers further, and by the time they reached us fully a third had already been slayed.

Battlebeginning-paradox_zpse329efad.jpg

The Spear Line

The danger posed by the charge had thus been blunted, so by the time they slammed into our readied spears we were barely forced to make a step backwards. The initial slaughter rivaled that of the crossbowmen’s volley as the first and second rows of horsemen were pushed forward into our spears by the momentum of those behind them, ensuring their demise. Once the charge had been stopped we began moving forward as a single formation using the reach our spears afforded us to slay yet more Knights and slowly pushed them back across the river. Just when it seemed that we would manage to kill them all they retreated in disgrace, and the infantry moved in.

By this point our formation had become somewhat disorganized by our fight with the Knights so we were forced to quickly reform the line. Fortunately it became obvious that the enemy lacked sufficient missile troops to threaten us from afar, at least.

The enemy's infantry consisted of a motley of both veterans and levies, but while their quality was doubtful, they outnumbered us. They charged us before we managed reform our line so we were forced to fight them as we were. Soon our line disintegrated and the enemy gained the upper hand.

At this point I was forced to drop my spear in favor of my cleaver as the enemy had moved in too close and I began hacking away at my foes. For the most part this was easy as most had little to no armor and even less training. At one point I was even surrounded by seven enemies along with one of my soldiers, but we fought our way out. I managed to kill three of them, Hartman took out two, and the others fled in terror. We then moved on to help another group that had been beset by the enemy. Most of the battle went on in this fashion, and despite our numerical inferiority it seemed for a time that we could actually win. But just as it seemed that the tide of battle might turn in our favor, we heard the unmistakable sound of charging horsemen.

Thecavalryreturnes-paradox_zps5390a493.jpg

The Knights Return

Showing complete disregard for the safety of his own men, Count Grainwad made one last-ditch effort to win by charging straight through his own soldiers. We were completely unprepared for this and quite a few of us died in that initial charge, but despite most of us having lost our spears we still fought on. I used my cleaver to cut the legs from underneath an oncoming Knight, then chopped off the head of its rider before he managed to recover.

Before I could turn to face my next attacker however I was blinded by the sudden pain of a heavy mace striking my back and I fell to the ground. My vision returned just in time to see that another horseman was about to trample me and I rolled to the left out of his way, but this triggered another explosion of pain and I realized that I had a broken rib. It hurt just to breathe and at that point I wanted nothing more that to just lay there on the ground and rest. But that would have meant certain death, so in spite of the pain I got up and rejoined the battle.

We continued to fight for a while, but after the initial shock of the cavalry charge the battle turned into an obvious stalemate. With his Knights now completely decimated and his infantry in tatters, Count Grainwad finally gave the order to retreat across the river. This came not a moment too soon for us as our own force had been shattered by the fighting.

For the rest of the day we took stock of the casualties and waited nervously to see what Grainwad's next move would be. This vigil lasted all through the night, but by morning it became clear that they were retreating. We did the same, and we left for Uxkhal.

The battle seems to have been disastrous for both sides. Count Grainwad lost most of his Knights and a lot of his infantry while we have been reduced to about a quarter of our initial strength. Fifteen of my men were killed in the fighting and another six are badly wounded. Two, I am told, may not even make it through the night. I wish there was more that I could do for them but their lives are now in the hands of the doctors and whatever deities they follow. Compared to others I came out relatively well. My broken rib makes it quite painful to breathe and move, but the doctor says I will recover with some rest.

Overall the battle was a draw, but since we managed to prevent a larger force than our own from crossing the border maybe we could consider it a victory. Still it will take some time for Count Rimusk to rebuild his army and I'm afraid he may have to call up peasant levies to do it. At least a core of well trained troops survived to rebuild around.

For now I think it's time to stop writing. I need to get as much rest as possible.

Valerian is doing pretty well, esp with the tournaments and a few low level skirmishes ... be interesting to see how a major war impacts on him though

I guess the answer would be so-and-so...for now :)

I'm sorry for the delay everyone, but I haven't had a lot of time to write. I'm going to try and post once every two weeks, but with my unpredictable schedule right not I can't promise anything :(.

I just want to make a quick announcement. This week I'm going to be very busy with work and my dissertation (I hope that's the correct term in English for it), so I won't be working on "Valerian" at all. Hopefully by the weekend things will calm down and I'll be able to play the game again and see where I'll be going with the story :).

that siege at Haringoth was grim stuff as was the main battle, a real classic medieval hack and slash and exercise in attrition - but those knights will be hard to replace?

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to. The latest chapter involved the siege of Almerra, while Haringoth happened in Chapter III. But yes, it was just a good old fashioned blood bath to determine the winner. And I expect quite a few more of those by the end.

The second battle went a little differently in-game from the one in the story. In the game the army I was with was destroyed, but we gave as good as we got and Count Grainwad suffered some heavy casualties as well, including almost all of his Knights and Men-at-Arms.