The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. When we get to the Stellaris part of the story (2100 to whenever you feel like ending it) are you going to do the trope of making every Sci Fi gun a bullpup?

2. I figure we still have a long way to go before we move away from ballistic firearms and I fell like it wont be until the last two chapters of Stellaris before we get them but will there be energy weapons'?

3. I feel like what we can do between the end of ballistic and start of energy weapons' is to do what they do in the Code Geass universe which according to the Wikia says this: "Unlike real-world firearms, those found in the world of Code Geass do not use gunpowder as an ammunition propellant, eliminating the need for brass casings; instead they operate by using a strong electromagnetic pulse to fire bullets." this type of mechanism reminds me of the H&K G11.
I'm going to keep using ballistic weapons even in space. I did some research and figured out that modern weapons would still work in vacuum, but you'd have to be more careful of the recoil, and if you're firing your weapon in a ship you have to worry about puncturing the hull. The Expanse books specifically have bullets that fragment upon hitting their target so that they don't puncture the hull. I highlighted the same problem during the Annionaverse Mars arc as well. Logistically, the main issue is getting the materials to make gunpowder and bullets in space and on other planets, but I have some ideas, and a shortage of bullets would actually allow melee combat to make a resurgence.

And before you say energy weapons could fill in for ballistic weapons, handheld energy weapons wouldn't be practical for a long time due to power sources being too large and not carrying enough energy to make it worth using, even with the new element I introduced in the fusion reactor. Though since Stellaris ships have energy weapons, there will eventually be larger ship-mounted energy weapons alongside ballistic weapons, as they each have their specific advantages and disadvantages depending on the battle, opponent, and logistics.

Annionaverse guns would be majority energy-based though since that universe effectively operates on Star Wars logic.
When ever I saw the ending of IBO
I can't comment on that because I fear if I did, I'd spoil how this arc ends.
You've got to have your morals; using the Panopticons for any reason at this stage isn't the right play.
It may be tough to do the right thing and stick to your morals in a war, but it should still be done.

Reactions:
A Day of Ends and Beginnings, Part 4

Takomaan - 11:00 AM

Rifle slung over his back, Gulichi approached the watchtower marking the edge of the village and waved at Taavi. “Yo! Doing a great job as usual!”

“Shut up, Gulichi! Give up yet?”

“No, I just need to ask the elder something, so hang tight! We’re on track to making the find of a century!”

He ran past the watchtower into the village, where he was met with stares.

“Hey, what’s with the weird looks? I haven’t done anything!” Then he realized he had probably been seen carrying equipment down to the dock and rowing out to the island. “…Oh.”

“Gulichi!” Some of the kids ran up to him.

“Hey, kids!” Gulichi waved. “How’s it going?”

“Did you find the pirate’s treasure yet?”

Gulichi scratched his head. “What? Who told you that? We’re nowhere near the ocean.”

“But did you find it?”

“No, but we’re close to finding something even better!”

“Hey!” The parents ran over and pulled their children away from him. “Stay away from Gulichi!”

“Why?” the children whined.

“You’ll be cursed to eternal suffering between life and death, cast under the world between the earth and Tuonela, for disobeying the will of the gods.”

“Uh, cursed?” Gulichi asked. “I got permission from the elder.”

“But not from the gods.” The parents led the children away. “Come on, let’s go home before his curse spreads to us.”

Gulichi stood in the middle of the road, processing the parents’ words. After deciding he didn’t have the time to think about it, he continued on. Passing through the central square, Kettu led the militia in combat drills. The old commander’s eyes noticed and immediately locked onto Gulichi, narrowing into a scowl.

“You!” he jabbed a finger at Gulichi. “What are you doing here?”

“I…have to ask the elder a question,” Gulichi said

“First you had the nerve to desecrate our sacred island, and now you want to ask for more?!” Kettu began stomping in Gulichi’s direction. “I swear you need to be taught a—”

“No time, gotta go!” Gulichi ran off before Kettu could say anything more.

Seriously, what is it with everybody today? Gulichi knew his actions wouldn’t be rececived well by the older villagers, but he was surprised at the reaction from many younger ones. The village elder gave the all clear, so why doesn’t it feel that way?

Gulichi finally reached the elder’s house and went inside. The old man was sitting at his table, back facing Gulichi, drinking from a hot bowl of kalakeitto. He didn’t look up, but his body language subtly shifted to indicate he knew who had entered. “I see you’ve returned, Gulichi. Has your errand ended in failure?”

“No, it hasn’t,” Gulichi said, “We actually found something.”

That got the elder’s attention. He turned around. “You did?”

“Yes. There’s a locked door. It requires a key. We thought you might have it.”

“Why would I have the key for a door I didn’t know existed until you told me?”

“Maybe the person who locked the door gave it to your ancestor, and it’s been passed down from elder to elder since then.” It probably sounded weird to someone without the proper context, but that was the only thing he could come up with. “So, anything that fits the bill?”

“I’m not quite sure,” the elder said, “I have many things handed down from my predecessors. Charms, amulets, books…I am the leader of this village. I can’t remember everything.”

“Charms and amulets, you say?” Those would be about the right size. Maybe a past elder turned the key into a protective charm. “Why don’t we try those?”

The elder nodded. “Of course. One moment.”

He disappeared into a closet and returned with a box. Inside were a few dozen trinkets. Charms, amulets, bracelets, necklaces, and other things Gulichi remembered from past holidays. Some were designed to look like an axe—charms for protection or to summon strength or courage. Others looked like an elk or bear—religious amulets for gaining and keeping the gods’ favor. Some were shaped like a bird—wishes for good health and hoping for a better future. Gulichi had gotten at least one of each kind over the years from his relatives. They were probably still stuffed in the back of a cabinet in his house.

Come on, think, Gulichi told himself, How would Leyla go about this? Probably by looking for something that doesn’t belong. Ignore the regular stuff you’ve seen a dozen times. If the key is here—and if it’s not, then it’s probably not in this village at all—it would have to look out of place. It’s a relic from a super ancient civilization that was mistakenly lumped in with all this stuff. Of course it wouldn’t fit in. He started rummaging through the box, trying to see what was buried deeper. The elder’s eyes widened with worry.

“Gulichi, I must ask you to be gentler with these relics. Some of them are centuries old!”

“Centuries old?” Gulichi said. “I’m looking for something millennia old.”

His hand brushed against something hard and metallic, a stark contrast to the wood and fabric he had been feeling so far. His heart leapt in his chest as he pulled out what he had found—a small pencil-sized object shaped like something between a tree and a hammer. It had splotches of paint, but most of it had flaked off by now. “Aha! There you are! Leyla, your instincts are spot on!”

“Ah, so that’s what you were after,” the elder said.

“You know what this is?”

The elder shook his head. “I know every single charm crafted in this village, but that is the only one I have no idea about. It’s been in the family for as long as I can remember.”

“Makes sense,” Gulichi said, “Perhaps you’re descended from whoever locked the door. They stayed in this village to watch over the door and passed the key down through their descendants. Though over the years I guess your family forgot everything other than staying in the village. Maybe that’s why you declared the island a sacred place.”

And why the local myth holds the Sampo is here, far from the actual Finnish heartland. But he had no way of confirming any of that.

“Perhaps,” the elder said, “Well, you got what you were looking for, hopefully. I take it this is going to open the door you found?”

“I sure hope so,” Gulichi said, “Otherwise we’re going to have to resort to explosives.”

The elder glared at him. “Don’t test me, boy.”

“Okay, okay!” Gulichi backed off, hands raised. “I’m sorry! Anyways, I need to go, thanks!”

He ran out of the house as quickly as he could, the strange key in hand.

11:32 AM

“I’m back!” Gulichi returned to the other three in front of the door, panting heavily.

Leyla noticed he was covered in sweat. “Did you get chased by a giant stone ball?”

“No, I just ran all the way back here from the elder’s house beacuse I found this!” He held up the strange key. “I think this is it!”

“Doesn’t look like any key I’ve ever used,” Alexandra said.

Magnus checked the door. “I don’t see anywhere to put the key in.”

“I’ve got explosives ready.” Samir held up a detonator and pointed to some breaching charges he had placed against the door, around the doorknob area. “I’m sure I could blast it open.”

“No!” Gulichi held out his hands in a panic. “Don’t! The elder will kill us! Especially me!”

“Alright, alright!” Samir put down the detonator. “But are you sure that’s the key?”

“It’s our best shot.” To avoid the elder’s wrath!

“So how does it work?” Magnus said.

Gulichi approached the door and held up the key. “Maybe we could look for an opening…”

“Already checked. I told you, I couldn’t find anywhere to—” At that moment, the door started rumbling open. Millennia of dirt and rust flaked off, forming a small pile on the floor as the door slid into the wall. However, it jammed halfway through.

“Samir, the explosives would’ve just made things worse.” Gulichi pulled the breaching charges off the door. “Also, give me a hand?”

Samir and Gulichi braced themselves against the door and pushed hard, feeling the moving parts within the door creak, lurch, and finally give way.

“Hey, shouldn’t we, you know, not push it in all the way?” Leyla said. “In case we find something in there and we need to close the door again.”

“Good point,” Gulichi said, “Let’s stop it here.”

They left the door about a foot open. After that, Gulichi and Samir turned on their guns’ flashlights and advanced through the doorway.

“We’re going in first,” Samir said, “Follow behind us.”

“Stay back, Leyla,” Gulichi said, “You know how your arms are. Leave it to me.”

“Y-Yeah!” Leyla stammered. Then she lowered her voice to almost a whisper. “Thanks, I really appreciate it.”

“What was that?”

“Uh, n-nothing! Hey, I think I see something moving ahead!” Leyla pointed into the darkness.

“Come on, Leyla, don’t you think that’s getting a little old?” Gulichi swept his gun around to illuminate parts of the room. “This place has been empty for millennia. There can’t possibly be anything still—”

His light fell on a large metallic object, barely visible in the darkness. Gulichi initially wrote it off as some old contraption that hadn’t fallen apart. He was about to sweep his flashlight somewhere else when it suddenly moved with a loud metallic groan.

“Uh…what the hell is th-that?” Gulichi pointed at the moving thing.

“I TOLD YOU THIS PLACE WAS BOOBY TRAPPED!” Leyla screamed, hiding behind Gulichi.

The thing “stood up” on four legs and turned around. It was a quadrupedal machine, but it looked like none of the robots they had ever seen in the news or movies. If Gulichi had to compare it to something he was familiar with, he would pick one of the disabled Hellhounds he observed in the aftermath of Operation Gaugamela. Its skin, though seemingly metallic, rippled in a way reminiscent of fur. Far from the very mechanical joints of the farm machinery the village was filled with, each leg was shaped in a way that appeared almost natural, like they were from an animal. Unlike a Hellhound, though, it did have a front-facing unit almost like a “head,” with two golden-colored protruding sensors akin to horns. A blinking red light lay under each sensor, and light radiated from cracks across the face, appearing similar to constellations. It was almost like… “A…cow?”

“A ROBOT COW?!”

“ A ROBOT COW!” Alexandra stepped forward, holding up her tablet’s camera. “An ancient contraption that still works after so long? I must know how they built it!”

“Alexandra, now’s not the time!” Magnus pulled her back just as the robot cow charged at them, coming into full view of Gulichi’s flashlight.

“Ah, vittu!” Gulichi raised his rifle and immediately opened fire, while Samir approached with the scimitar drawn. The bullets tore through the brittle metal, briefly stopping the rampaging automaton. As it struggled to maintain its footing, Samir drove the scimitar’s blade right through its “neck.”

“Stay out of my way!” Samir twisted the scimitar, nearly pulling the head clean off the body. The automaton staggered for a few seconds before falling over and going still. With that done, Samir sheathed the scimitar again. “And stay down.”

“NOOOOOOOOOO!” Alexandra ran over to the remains of the automaton and snapped rapid-fire pictures with her tablet. “YOU BROKE IT!”

“It was going to kill us,” Samir deadpanned.

“No use gathering info if you’re dead.” Gulichi lowered his rifle. “Leyla, you okay?”

“I…I…” Leyla had wrapped her arms around Gulichi’s legs, her eyes tightly shut. “That…was…”

“Don’t worry, Leyla,” Gulichi said, “We took care of it—”

“THAT WAS SO COOL!” Leyla stood up and shook Gulichi’s shoulders excitedly. “I’m so mad I froze up! Ugh, that was straight out of the movies too!”

“Between your arm injuries and your constant movie references today, you’d only hold us back,” Samir continued deadpanning, “Anyways, we can continue now.”

“Not until I get the data I want!” Alexandra pouted. “There’s so much we can learn from this!”

“But is it going to put food on our plates?” Magnus said. “Speaking of which, we should really stop and eat lunch first.”

“Great idea!” Alexandra beamed and jumped up and down excitedly. “I can do some ssssssscience while we eat!”

A few minutes later, Magnus had laid down a picnic blanket on the hard concrete-like floor and passed around sandwiches to everybody. They dug in, with Gulichi savoring the flavors of chicken, vegetables, cheese, and egg mixing together.

“You know what would really make this better?” Leyla said. “Some mayo.”

“We ran out of mayo long ago,” Gulichi said, “The shipments from the city stopped coming a couple weeks into the war. We ran out of processed food soon after.”

“Man, that must suck,” Alexandra said, “Even in Persia, they started rationing stuff that couldn’t be made or grown on local farms. Mayo, tomatoes, that kind of stuff.”

“They even started running out of beef after a while,” Magnus said, “So I had to start cooking chicken and potatoes a lot.”

“Hopefully, once the war ends we can get everything back,” Leyla said.

“I doubt it,” Samir said, “Global supply lines will remain interrupted for a long time. It’ll take significant effort and resources rebuilding them. To say nothing of restarting agricultural production in affected countries. Both the farmland and the farmers have suffered too much. I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole world enters a lengthy period of famine.”

“Even Persia?” Gulichi said.

“Yes, Persia will be affected. Even China, with its withdrawal from the world, will suffer.” Samir looked at the scimitar and made a fist. “All because some old men in Berlin and Nanjing just wanted to satisfy their egos. They got billions killed. Hundreds of millions more will starve. I hope they get to live in the world they created.”

“Samir, just eat your sandwich.”

They continued eating in awkward silence.

---

This part originally included the next three parts, but it got way too long, especially what ended up becoming Part 6. I’ve decided I’m going to post them at a much faster rate so it won’t be too much slower than it would have been if they were all still one large Part 4.

Edit 3/26: fixed a typo.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
A robot cow is one way to solve hunger, just not how we'd want it done.

Reactions:
Reactions:
The thing “stood up” on four legs and turned around. It was a quadrupedal machine, but it looked like none of the robots they had ever seen in the news or movies. If Gulichi had to compare it to something he was familiar with, he would pick one of the disabled Hellhounds he observed in the aftermath of Operation Gaugamela. Its skin, though seemingly metallic, rippled in a way reminiscent of fur. Far from the very mechanical joints of the farm machinery the village was filled with, each leg was shaped in a way that appeared almost natural, like they were from an animal. Unlike a Hellhound, though, it did have a front-facing unit almost like a “head,” with two golden-colored protruding sensors akin to horns. A blinking red light lay under each sensor, and light radiated from cracks across the face, appearing similar to constellations. It was almost like… “A…cow?”

“A ROBOT COW?!”
I'll be honest. At first I thought something like the xenomorph would show up but then I remembered that this was an Ancient Human facility so maybe TTL's Forerunner's would have a Monitor watching the site and we would see something like 343 Guilty Spark. Now with the Robot Cow I am picturing something like the Broadhead from Horizon Zero Dawn.

1711378226701.png

This part originally included the next three parts, but it got way too long, especially what ended up becoming Part 6. I’ve decided I’m going to post them at a much faster rate so it won’t be too much slower than it would have been if they were all still one large Part 4.
On one hand I am glad that the updates are back to being somewhat regular but I fear that you will run into the same problem with writer's block if you post to fast and that backlog of post being unable to keep up.

In a previous conversation we talked about (86 Spoilers) how the Crusaders/Legion could not take over Persia during the Battle of Isfahan then how could they take it now. But the more I thought about it I realized that China is still at war with Persia and that they could come in a invade from the east while our characters are worried about the west. Then during the chaos Julian could spring his plan and rescue Wilhelmina and Gunduz?

Lastly I have finished the China update for Tianxia and wanted to send it to you in a PM to look over?

I'll be honest. At first I thought something like the xenomorph would show up but then I remembered that this was an Ancient Human facility so maybe TTL's Forerunner's would have a Monitor watching the site and we would see something like 343 Guilty Spark. Now with the Robot Cow I am picturing something like the Broadhead from Horizon Zero Dawn.
I was thinking something closer to a Hellhound but far more advanced and with a head unit that someone could easily mistake for a cow’s head.
On one hand I am glad that the updates are back to being somewhat regular but I fear that you will run into the same problem with writer's block if you post to fast and that backlog of post being unable to keep up.
This is only temporary. I plan to slow back down after Part 7.
In a previous conversation we talked about (86 Spoilers)
China still has to get through Turkestan and Afghanistan to get to Persia, and its presence in Arabia isn’t big enough to stage an invasion from there.
Lastly I have finished the China update for Tianxia and wanted to send it to you in a PM to look over?
Go ahead.

It has taken a while but I have finally completed my Tianxia updates. It has been a long road and I am glad to say that I can now work on the Cyberpunk updates. That does not mean that I am finished with Tianxia though. I at the very least want to redo my Central and South Eimerica update which will be based on Kaiserreich Documentary [E07] ~ 'Crown and Crescent' but I think I will hold off on that until the reworked WOK Ottoman video and the KRDOC7.1 Bulgaria video that talks more about Bulgaria both come out before I do that. Anyway thanks again for sticking with me as well as a big thanks to @zenphoenix for help on this update. Now all that is left is Cyberpunk.

Tianxia-Legacy of the Great War:

Chinese Empire

mq0d4MisBr5n5NKKnFGnbwOAiSdhUeVgihHSu98DUVOfXbrUQg14v_aIUU1wz7FG-SY4MxNSa2sWBOScIcCVpkQ5TSlSnYo5ynoSZZx9B1pzr7YfpnjhZ9W_G3niIt9eWh8eBcjZ9L5gK6m5BI7cPTw

Chinese Mainland.JPG

Chinese Mainland

The Southern Provinces.JPG

The Southern Provinces

The Far Eastern Provinces.JPG

The Far Eastern Provinces

Anthems: "China Heroically Stands"
"His Imperial Majesty's Anthem"

Motto: Harmony Under Heaven

Capital: Nanjing

Official Language: Mandarin Chinese, Classical Chinese

Demonym: Chinese

Government: Administrative constitutional monarchy

Head of State: Emperor

Head of Government: Grand Secretariat (Chancellor)

Legislature: Imperial Assembly

Upper House: House of Dynasties

Lower House: House of Citizens

Population: 955.26 million (Approximate)

Currency: Wen​

Intro
The Chinese Empire (大中华帝國 Da Zhonghua Diguo, literally "Greater Chinese Empire") is the state that evolved out of the Mingzhi Reforms of 1868. Throughout the 1900s, China aggressively industrialized in its quest to surpass the Romans and Indians under the slogan Fuguo Qiangbing (富國強兵, "Rich country, strong army"). In 1900, the Empire controlled territory on three continents, marketing it the second largest empire on Earth after the Reich.

Terminology
The state is frequently referred to as "the Chinese Empire," "Empire of China," “China,” or "Imperial China" in all relevant translations from Chinese. In Chinese it is referred to as Da Zhonghua Diguo (大中华帝國) which literally translates to "Greater Chinese Empire" (Da "Great", Zhonghua "Chinese" [referring to the civilization and cultural heritage, not the government], Diguo "Empire"). However, due to the nature of the Chinese language , the phrase can be variously translated as "Empire of China" and "Chinese Empire."

"Zhonghua" in the post-Mingzhi interpretation is significant in terms of geography, encompassing geographical and historical China, its surrounding areas, and anywhere with substantial Chinese populations and cultural influence. The name had existed since before unification, though before the Fuxingyundong dynastic names were used as names of the political state (“Ming,” “Tran,” etc.). Following the Mongol conquests and the scattering of Chinese populations outside of the traditional heartland, the rise of multiple imperial dynasties across the Pacific significantly expanded the definition of China, which was seized upon by the reunification movements of the 19th century. Following reunification, the names "China" and "Chinese Empire/Empire of China" were promoted with the intention of establishing a new state transcending and subsuming the preceding dynasties into a new single imperial state that would reclaim world hegemony from the Reich and India.

From literal translations of its name and a quick look at its flag, foreigners also gave them the exonyms "Empire of the Dragon" and "Middle Kingdom," although the former is never used by Chinese and the latter is archaic.

History
“My brothers and sisters, our journey has been long and arduous. From squabbling dynasties in 1860, long sundered by the Mongol barbarians centuries ago, to a united empire that spans the world over, we cheer the return of our glorious Celestial Empire. When the Daqin prince was assassinated in 1914, starting the war to end all wars, it was a turning point in history. Finally, the great gears of time had turned for us. The time had come for China to take down the arrogant Romans and their misguided world order, and defeat them we did. Nobody doubted that our empire would crush the upstart barbarian hordes and put them in their place. The Roman army collapsed, the Indians retreated to their cities and plains, and Russia crumbled. But China was victorious! Let us drink to the Emperor! May he reign ten thousand years!

“But that was what we believed before, when the guns fell silent and we returned to cheering crowds. My brothers and sisters, I was young and arrogant, and so was China. Yes, we won the war, but we didn't see the consequences of our actions. By crushing Rome and India, we created a much greater evil. Defeat broke our old enemies and changed them into something else, but it did not break their will to fight. The Vermilion Banner rose in Paris and Bengaluru, and the specter of syndicalism now haunts the world. The weak Russian Republic turned to nationalism, and once again China is under threat from a barbarian menace. I knew then that the old grievances of the war were never settled. Our victory only gave our enemies the burning desire for revenge. We face them everywhere. In Europe, Africa, the lands of the Far East, and now at home. Now the enemy stands at our gates once more, and they challenge our possession of the Mandate of Heaven. But defend it we must, for it is the natural order of things that China be at the center of the universe. We will win the coming war as we won the last war, but the victory must not be as before. No longer must China dominate, control, and contain without a new order. We must restore lasting harmony to the world. Let this war be the last war. Let the deaths of our soldiers mean something. Let us become the sword of the heavens and use it to put the barbarians back in their rightful place. We will win this new war, and this time we will also win the peace. The balance must be guarded, and the Mandate of Heaven will remain with us. Harmony will be restored.”

Traditionally, the Chinese people claimed to be part of one of the oldest civilizations in the world. However, this did not overlap with the idea of a unified Chinese nation, nor did the Chinese people rule themselves the whole time. For millennia, the lands of China were ruled by various dynasties and kingdoms, some coexisting or competing with others and some ruled by non-Chinese. As the Zhou Dynasty lost power and eventually ended, the lands between the Yellow and Yangtze rivers were filled with dozens of Chinese states. The collapse of the Han Dynasty led to the rise of the much storied Three Kingdoms era, and the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period followed the Tang Dynasty's end. The Song Dynasty was destroyed by the Mongol-led Yuan Dynasty, which reigned over all of China with an iron fist for a century.

The Mongol conquest itself led to a further sundering of the Chinese people, scattering them across the Pacific and giving rise to the political and cultural dynamics of the next few centuries. Chinese refugees fleeing south from the Mongol conquests arrived in Vietnam and established the Tran Dynasty, blending their Chinese culture with native Vietnamese influences to create an imperial dynasty that spanned Southeast Asia and much of historical southern China. The remnants of the Song imperial court, rallying around the last imperial prince, fled on the navy and arrived on a new continent far to the south, which they named Penglai. Other refugees, led by the remnants of the Jurchen Jin Dynasty, fled north and crossed into North Eimerica, reestablishing their imperial court on the other side of the Pacific. Finally, the Yuan themselves lost control over much of central China in the mid-14th century to a rebellion led by the peasant Zhu Yuanzhang, who declared himself the first emperor of the Ming Dynasty in 1368. For the next five hundred years, the Chinese world and the people of China were split between these dynasties: the Ming, Yuan, Tran, Song, and Jin.

While the five dynasties all declared themselves the rightful emperors of all China, the four non-Yuan dynasties had established an unspoken recognition of each other's existence, understanding that it was impractical to strive for full reunification. However, that changed with the shift in the balance of power towards the Ming as they absorbed both the Yuan and the Song, subjugated the Manchus, brought Korea and Japan into the fold, and established overseas colonies. Although the Tran Dynasty had embraced industrialization and established colonies of its own, while the Jin Dynasty was the dominant power in North Eimerica, the former was unable to compete with the raw economic output of the expanded Ming Dynasty, and the latter was bogged down in constant wars with the crumbling Mexica Empire, the rising Meskwaki Empire, and the Kingdom of Kanata. The decline of the Tran and Jin led to the discrediting of the multi-emperor system and calls for a full reunification of China, something that the new Fuxingyundong movement seized upon. Initially staffed by a handful of revolutionaries scattered across the three remaining dynasties, they launched a grand campaign to reunite all of China under one emperor and one dynasty. Five hundred years after the proclamation of the Ming Dynasty, the Fuxingyundong overthrew the Tran and Jin governments and proclaimed the restoration of a unified Chinese empire, under the Ming emperor Mingzhi. The new China presented itself as a keeper of peace and the balance of power, declaring that it would restore world harmony and protect the natural order of things after centuries of imbalance.

This, however, changed in June 1901, when the Roman navy announced its newest warship. Called the Furchtlos, or dreadnought, this new battleship possessed a heavy caliber guns and a steam turbine propulsion system that made it much stronger than any previous warship. In response, the Chinese government ordered the manufacturing of its own dreadnoughts, provoking a naval arms race with the Reich. Within five years, two classes of battleships dominated the world's oceans: the Roman Saint Wilhelmina and Chinese Zhu Yuanzhang.

With this military buildup came many Chinese leaders who began to envision a world free from Roman dominance. This led to the proclamation of the Chinese-led Tianxia Alliance, a military pact and modernization of the old tributary system opposed to Roman-Indian hegemony, on October 12, 1911. The alliance established a free trade zone between its member states, which received Chinese military protection in return for supporting China's military campaigns when needed. However, by 1914 only Scandinavia and Lithuania were full members of the alliance, with the Meskwaki alliance being only nominally aligned yet independent.

China's erratic and undiplomatic behavior on the global stage and its massive militarization between 1900 and 1914 scared the Reich and India. To challenge China, a counterbalance had to be created, and so the Kaiser and the Roman government established their own alliance with India, Russia, and other likeminded nations, promising not only military protection from Chinese and Meskwaki aggression but also a free trade deal where Roman goods and services would help their respective countries.

In many ways, a Great War between the two superpowers was inevitable. What many believed would be a short war, however, became a long and bitter war of attrition. As a generation of youth was slowly ground to dust in the killing fields of Eurasia, the long hoped for Roman breakthrough did not come. India collapsed, Russia sued for peace, and the Roman alliance fell apart. In late 1919, China and her Tianxia Alliance allies emerged victorious, if barely. Against all odds, a China barely fifty years reunited had asserted itself against Rome, India, Russia and Kanata, the dominant powers of the last century, on two fronts, which reinforced the belief that China was restoring the natural order and natural harmony, and its cause was just and moral. Unbeknownst to China at the time, this watershed victory would become a catalyst for world wide turmoil. From the crumbling Roman, Indian, and Russian empires, new ideologies such as syndicalism emerged to challenge China, waiting for their chance to strike.

In 1920, the world entered the age of the Celestial Empire, or rather returned to it. However, as is often the case, appearances were quite deceiving, and China's new age was built on a rotting foundation. Like China's defeated enemies, the Tianxia Alliance had been pushed to the breaking point. Hunger and poverty were rampant, and an entire generation had been sacrificed to win the war to end all wars. Even in victory, the Meskwaki and Tawantinsuyu were on uneven footing, barely clinging on to their vast multiethnic empires, while the Purepecha struggled to rule their overextended empire. In China itself, the situation was not any better. In September 1918, equalists attempted a failed uprising in many southern Chinese cities, which resulted in an expansion of the military's power. Over the years, the Imperial Chinese Army had fallen under the direct control of the generals Duan Wenchang and Li Jiankao, who effectively led a dictatorship during the war. While democratic institutions nominally remained in place, the legendary reputation and perceived irreplaceability of the two generals gave them a political blank cheque, enabling them to dismiss rivals and halt political reforms, bending all matters of state towards the needs of the military.

After the end of the war, long-boiling tensions between the military and the people surfaced. The general population, represented by the Imperial Assembly, and even the Emperor himself increasingly disapproved of the military. With the economy in shambles and societal upheaval overwhelming many cities, large protests demanded political reform and the normalization of relations with India and Russia. While Li opposed any kind of political concessions, he was eventually overruled. Now that the war was over, the military leadership was not seen as indispensable anymore. The final nail in Li's coffin was Duan's betrayal, which led Li to denounce his former ally as a "modern day Lü Bu." Duan sided with the Emperor and the government in exchange for protecting the military against future reforms. In February 1920, Li was ousted in the most unspectacular way possible: simply being dismissed by the Emperor. Now, nothing stood in the way of the long-awaited reforms. Only a month later, the government passed a set of progressive constitutional reforms that would finally turn China into a constitutional monarchy in all but name.

Thanks to Duan's deal, the army remained largely untouched by these reforms and continued to enjoy a vast degree of autonomy. It took much time for China to recover both politically and militarily from the Great War. Luckily, the Empire was blessed with the appearance of new talented statesmen to help China navigate the difficult postwar years. The liberal and internationally respected diplomat Huang Zhitong was appointed Grand Secretariat after China's first peacetime election. Immediately, Huang withstood his trial by fire by negotiating China away from a new war with India in the Orissa crisis of May 1920. Thanks to his cabinet's keen action, peace and stability quickly returned, and China's global reputation began to improve.

China’s new diplomatic foreign policy was to shepherd a new era of Chinese political and cultural hegemony. Buoyed by a newfound sense of optimism, the political winds shifted in Nanjing. Bolstered by progressive reform, the city's liberal elite had begun a rapid transformation. With Berlin and Delhi in decline, the sprawling Chinese capital saw an enormous influx of foreign artists, dignitaries, writers and intellectuals. New music and art influences raged throughout China, bringing with them a sense of exoticism and hope. As the Middle Kingdom, China was supposed to be the center of the world, and its bars and cafes bustled day and night with the ambitions of a revitalized Asian elite. Although the exact shape of what the new Chinese hegemony would take was still being debated, that did not stop the Empire's young radicals from trying to make their visions a reality. In their eyes, Chinese victory in the war could be the catalyst for a future where democracy and traditional Chinese culture went hand in hand. Some called for a federation of equals under the emperor as the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, which would be wider economic bloc using the Chinese wen that would initially span the Pacific and Asia but eventually encompass the entire world.

Immediate Chinese postwar politics were defined by a sharp break between old and new. The conservative and national-liberal old guard, among the military elite and traditional aristocracy, suddenly found themselves in opposition against progressive forces that only a few decades prior had been defamed as enemies of the empire, with the social democratic wing of the Fuxingyundong gaining prominence. On the other side of the spectrum, nationalists and militarists began participating in government under Huang and his successor, modestly shifting politics to the right. By the mid-1920s, the Fuxingyundong's centrist and right wings sidelined the social democratic wing after its ambitious social reforms scared the political establishment. The difficulties faced by the civil government were only exacerbated by the whims of the emperor, who had for his entire reign and even before unification had patronized the Fuxingyundong, making it difficult for any other parties to replace it despite its current problems.
That changed in 1929 with the ascension of a new and more conservative emperor who courted the nationalists and helped form a new conservative "Spring Coalition" which aimed to maintain the accomplishments of the 1920 constitution without radical reforms. This entailed excluding the far left and far right from government. On the civilian side, the Spring Coalition's main backer was Grand Secretariat Zhou Yinghao. However, after Zhou's death in 1928, the Spring Coalition began losing popularity and authority.

As the decade went on, China's emerging order seemed to be more and more challenged by its resurgent neighbors. The people feared that the Imperial Assembly's weak foreign policy had gambled away China's hard-earned victory for the politicians' own interests, while nationalists felt China had not done enough to contain the defeated powers in Europe and Asia and would lead to another political encirclement of the Sinosphere as had happened in 1914. These fears weakened China's moderate cabinets, strengthening opposition further to the left and right. The effects would be far-reaching, leading to the rise of popular movements like the right-wing intellectual Tai Fangchu's Society of Practice of the Three Principles of the People (The Society for short) and various militant leftist movements. This further bolstered China’s rising nationalism, which sought a newly assertive foreign policy for a darker age.

In the early 1920's, fearing the rise of syndicalism, China attempted to normalize relations with the Reich. With India in the throes of syndicalist revolution and Russia in tatters, China understood that a second stabilizing monarchy was needed to maintain the natural harmonious order. Relations between the former Tianxia Alliance members had cooled, mostly over disputes over land in Mitteleimerica, so China hoped the Reich could be a balancing counterweight in the Far West. However, the talks failed. China could not have relations with the Reich, Berlin claimed, while at the same time working to undermine the thaler as a global currency, which was the tattered Roman economy's last lifeline. In the end, Nanjing decided to focus its attention inward. Apart from internal stabilization, the first order of business for the government was to restore order in the newly conquered territories. In the fall of 1921, the final peace treaty between China and the provisional government of Russia was signed, forcing the Russians to recognize Chinese hegemony. In 1918 and 1919, as Russia's civil war raged, the Chinese government initially gambled on an equalist victory, believing that it would be easier to keep an entirely isolated and unstable Russian equalist regime under Chinese control than a Russia dominated by revanchist nationalist forces.

This approach changed after the sudden assassination of Volodymyr Ligdan, the equalists' leader, and the following military setbacks of his troops. At this point, the war could still tilt either way, but the Equalist emerged as the less reliable and more internally divided partner without a clear successor to Ligdan. To Nanjing, it was now apparent that the firm hand of China was needed to restore order to these barbarians, and via proxies in the west, China began smuggling weapons—ironically many Russian weapons captured during the war mere months earlier—to the nationalists. While many Russians despised China, the collapse of the Roman alliance meant that the nationalists had lost precious allies on the world stage. Eventually this alliance with their former enemy helped the nationalists defeat the equalists, finally leading to the end of the civil war in 1921.

However, the nationalists refused to bend the knee to China. A new populist leader by the name of Sergiy Bezruchko rallied large sections of the Russian populace with a distinct anti-Chinese rhetoric. Bezruchko capitalized on the deep-seated frustration and hatred of the Russian people against their humiliation in the Great War and economic and military subordination to China. He promised a renewal of Russian power and prestige, with himself as the leader, or Vozd, of all Russians. The threat he posed not only deeply worried Nanjing but also the Chinese client states in the steppes and Central Asia that made up the Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. Major economic leaders, particularly Chinese ones, feared that Russian military action, which called for an end to exploitation by Chinese businesses, would destabilize the carefully crafted Chinese economic hegemony that had been secured by treaties like the Vilnius Agreement of 1926.

As the Chinese Empire rose, the Reich fell. A major world power for centuries, sharing hegemony with the combined Sinosphere for much of the early modern period, it was unthinkable to imagine it being as vulnerable as it turned out to be. The Roman Revolution was not a singular event or even a single revolution but rather a spark to ignite international leftist frustrations. While China survived the coming revolutionary storm, the Reich was not so lucky. Revolution claimed the empire in waves, spread across province by province as Berlin's authority waned with the collapse of the economy and military. Britannia, later Albion, and Gallia fell to the revolutionaries, cutting off overseas colonies and spurring neighboring provinces to declare independence in a massive domino effect. By 1925, the collapse had been completed, and the resulting power vacuum forced Nanjing to take notice. Initially, the Chinese government took a pragmatic approach, believing that socialist but internationally isolated splinter states would not only remove China's only remaining rival but also remain firmly in its sphere of influence. But after Gallia successfully supported likeminded revolutionaries in Albion, who took over the entire island in less than 18 months, the government was terrified by the spread of syndicalism and feared a further spread of the ideology to its own colonies and client states. With the revolutions happening on the other side of Eurasia and the people still tired of war, China was unable to do anything but watch as the armies of the vermilion banner swept across Europe, calling not for peace with China but peace under a syndicalist world order. For the first time ever, China understood and feared the words "World Revolution."

The world found itself at a crossroads. China had upended the world order with its victory in the Great War, but its leaders never anticipated what the new world order would look like or the responsibilities that would come with being the new hegemon. As syndicalist and nationalist powers adopted an increasingly anti-Chinese and anti-monarchist stance, China found itself surrounded by new enemies with an increasingly overstretched economy and military that was being dragged into wars and crises around the world that it was ill-prepared for. In a macabre twist of fate, it was now Roman colonial leaders calling on China for protection, starting with the Roman province of Indochina in July 1925. To many on the Chinese homefront, globe-spaning Chinese interventions would amount to geopolitical suicide, compleatly disturbing the global power balance and potentially risking renewed conflict with India and Rome.

As emergency conferences were called, heated debates raged through the Imperial Assembly, with fistfights, rivalries, scandals, and even assassination attempts punctuating the vast divides emerging in Chinese politics. In the end, the combination of fear and greed was too much for the empire to resist. China declared itself the protector of the natural harmonious order according to Confucian thought as a direct counterweight to its rising ideological rivals. Leaders and governments who sought protection would find it under Chinese guidance and were ensured their positions would remain intact, provided that they submitted to the emperor and knew their place within the celestial hierarchy.

Facing challenges worldwide, China had finally reclaimed its rightful place at the center of the world, only to find the rest of the world falling further out of balance and into chaos. As a new decade dawned, only time would tell whether China would succeed in restoring balance and returning the world to how things should be, with all of the barbarians submitting to the civilized leadership of the emperor and the Chinese people. The cruel irony was that the very victory that restored China's hegemony now also threatened to undermine it. With the Reich, Russia, and India in chaos, the Meskwaki Empire constantly on the verge of collapse, and the syndicalists and Bezruchko steadily amassing more power, China faces its greatest test yet. For the Mandate of Heaven is something to be earned, and even after earning it, it must be kept. Should the Mandate be lost, it was morally just to overthrow those in power. The stakes could not be higher. This was China's only chance to restore and maintain the order that had dominated the world and human civilization for centuries, with China as the supreme and only hegemon and all others paying tribute to it. Yet the barbarians threatened to end all that with their new talk of syndicalism and nationalism, having forgotten their place in the natural order. It was China's duty to remind them of their place, for if it couldn't, then that would lead to a terrifying realization: that the barbarians themselves possessed the Mandate of Heaven, and it was their turn to rule All Under Heaven. Such a notion was unthinkable.

So as the world once again marched towards war, a single thought permeated all of the Chinese political and military establishment, transcending parties and generations and ideologies. A new Great War was coming, one that would test if China was still worthy of the Mandate of Heaven. The natural order and balance must be guarded at all costs, or else all would be lost to the barbarians.

Government
The Chinese Empire is a semi-constitutional monarchy. The official constitution is the Mingzhi Constitution, written after Chinese unification. The emperor is head of state of the empire, and as Son of Heaven all sovereignty originated from him. Being synonymous with the state itself, the emperor is commander-in-chief of the military and can appoint ministers. Yet his direct political power was constitutionally limited, so as to not dilute his spiritual power. This was something disputed by many ultranationalists who believed any attempt to limit his divine sovereignty as heretical and treasonous, calling for the emperor to be granted unlimited absolute power.

The Imperial Assembly consisted of a House of Dynasties and a House of Citizens. As its name suggested, the House of Dynasties consisted of people from the highest echelons of Chinese society, mainly the traditional nobility from pre-unification times, other imperial family members not in the direct line of succession, and modern elites who had proved themselves through merit in various ways, such as through scientific accomplishment, military successes, or political leadership. The House of Citizens, meanwhile, was elected by all male citizens over the age of 25, with some seats reserved for non-ethnic Han minorities. To prevent the gridlock common in many democratic governments of the century, both the emperor and the Grand Secretariat together with their court and cabinet retained significant power and could veto the Assembly's legislation if so desired. Furthermore, electoral laws gave more weight to established parties and their associated candidates, as well as to upper class and landowning voters. From 1868 to 1928, the Fuxingyundong dominated the Chinese government, alternating between its various wings. More often than not, power was vested in the centrist and conservative wings, with occasional periods of progressive leadership. As of 1936, the Spring Coalition remained in power yet significantly diminished from its heyday in the previous decade.

Military
The Chinese military was the strongest in the world as of 1936. Many of its troops were equipped with modern equipment and backed by a large military-industrial complex, making China a force to be reckoned with far beyond its borders. However, the military was also massively overextended due to the empire's far-flung colonial possessions, which threatened to create dozens of new fronts and resulted in a shortage of modern equipment for many troops. But all was not, and the Chinese military was hardly united. Three factions dominated the military as of 1936: the traditional aristocracy and Great War veterans who wanted to keep the current system as it was, the reformists who want to restore the power of central command and reunite all of the chains of command as during the Great War while also making it easier for commoners to receive officer commissions, and the militarists who want to restructure Chinese society into a state where everything supported the military.

There was an intense interservice and regional rivalry centered around certain generals and political leaders, many of whom were frequently both. The navy was split into several fleets, each nominally assigned to a specific region but answering to a different chain of command. For example, Admiral Liao Fuxiang, a member of the House of Dynasties, commanded the South Sea Fleet during the Great War and refused to support any naval engagements made by Admiral Hong Zhongtang, commander of the East Sea Fleet but also his chief political rival, for fear of any victories boosting Hong's political career. This nearly resulted in several major crippling defeats for the Chinese navy. Similarly, the Chinese army was dominated by a small group of region-based military aristocrats from families that had been granted field commands for generations. Not only did many of these aristocrats lack the basic officers' training that was needed to effectively lead troops, but they used their armies as bargaining chips to further careers within the imperial court or the House of Dynasties. Although the Mingzhi reforms intended to promote a meritocratic officer corps, the prioritization of nobles and the financial burden placed on officers indirectly ensured that few commoners could receive and keep a field commission. In both the army and navy, troops frequently showed stronger loyalties towards their commander, whether out of promises of political or financial gain or genuine support in the case of a competent commander, than to the government itself. Due to this factionalism and a lack of strong central command, each army and fleet competed for government funding against each other, leading to significant overlap with factions within the Imperial Assembly. Although the Grand Secretariat's cabinet included a Minister of War, the power of central command had been significantly weakened so as to prevent a return of Duan and Li's wartime dictatorship, preventing the above issues from being effectively addressed.

Although the Chinese military could count on a large manpower pool and industrial base to support it, due to the above factionalism, each commander could not count on other commanders to come to their aid. As a result, on the tactical level each army followed a quality over quantity approach, similar to the Reich's historical military doctrines. Since an army could not rely on the help of other armies, it must secure victory through a series of swift and decisive maneuvers performed by highly trained and organized units to maximize enemy casualties, if not outright annihilate the enemy, and minimize the usage of its own resources in preparation for future battles. This also served a political purpose: the more efficiently an army performed, with more enemy casualties and fewer ones of their own, the more prestigious it would appear to the Imperial Assembly and the court, and it would presumably receive a bigger budget, better gear, more honors, and political favor. A similar mentality was present in the navy, which had the added incentive of victory guaranteeing greater government investment in a fleet's home ports and the surrounding towns. The lack of support from other fleets during operations led to the prioritization of aircraft carriers as a significant force multiplier to replace inefficient and slow battleships. The navy almost wholeheartedly embraced and encouraged the development of aircraft carriers. Aircraft carriers became a symbol of prestige and status among Chinese admirals. Possessing one would be akin to being elevated to nobility. As a result, every time a new aircraft carrier was completed in a shipyard, admirals rushed to Nanjing to be the first to claim it for their fleet.

Fortunately, the newest branch of the Chinese military, the air force, managed to escape the political jockeying and factionalism that plagued both the army and navy. Headed by the legendary Great War ace Shen Tiankun, the Imperial Chinese Air Force was established in 1927 and quickly became the largest air force in the world. It had a main focus on supporting army operations with a fleet of tactical bombers. However, some believed that the air force's doctrine should shift to strategic bombing in line with the concept of total war, while others saw little issues with the current policy of close air support.

Economy
The Chinese economy was the strongest in the world. After the end of the Great War, the Chinese economy prospered in a massive economic miracle in the 1920s. Standard of living was among the highest in the world, with the average Chinese worker earning the most productive wages in the world. Investments in client states, resources from the colonies, and a liberal welfare program also helped cement China’s economic hegemony. However, this did not come without its problems. The economic miracle wound down in the 1930s, and although the economy remained prosperous, there was a concerning lack of financial regulation that could spiral into a massive crash if something went wrong. Furthermore, the prosperity was not shared equally, as poverty and income inequality remained ever present in Chinese society, and syndicalist agitation seized on this to gain many recruits to the vermilion banner.

Religion
Following unification, the Chinese government promoted the formalization and institutionalization of traditional folk religion, or Shen, into a new political-religious framework known as State Shendao, which also incorporated elements of Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism into its doctrines in a bid to unify Chinese religion for a unified society. While independent temples to each religion and philosophy were allowed to remain without having to affiliate themselves with State Shendao institutions, those that had joined the hierarchy were prioritized and given government grants to remain in operation. This was open even to temples for non-Chinese religions. For example, temples to the Mongol and Russian gods were allowed to join the State Shendao network, effectively absorbing their gods into the Chinese pantheon, and could even benefit from the financial incentives. For example, an oak tree in Lhasa, brought by the Ghaznavids as a seed centuries ago, was dedicated to the god Perun, but one of its branches was carved into an eagle dedicated to Tengri, and a Buddha statue sat among its roots. All three were registered State Shendao temples. This encouraged loyalty from their worshippers towards Nanjing, particularly because the emperor carried out the highest rites in the organized religion for their gods as well as China's own. However, the emperor had no new religious titles along the line of head priest, although there were high priests underneath him, as it was already assumed that the imperial title already had spiritual responsibilities, so a new title was unnecessary.

Culture
As a large empire spanning the Pacific, China was host to many different cultures. Each region had its own unique subculture that was still recognizably Chinese, and each social class, limited by their financial circumstances and geography, expressed themselves however they could. Outside of China proper, many non-Chinese cultures remained, only now under the same rule from Nanjing. Former historical rivalries became merely provincial rivalries within China, though certain exceptions—continued Vietnamese and Japanese separatism in particular—constantly stymied Nanjing's attempts to assert power.

Before unification, the various imperial dynasties used Classical Chinese as a lingua franca, much like western European medieval kingdoms prior to the Restoration used Latin. Internally, each dynasty used their own language for administrative purposes. The Jin Dynasty used the Jinshan dialect of Jin Mandarin (Jinhua), which had evolved from the language of the Jin court in Northern China in the 13th century but with North Eimerican and Jurchen influences. The Ming Dynasty used Mainland Mandarin (Guanhua), which evolved from the same sources as Jin Mandarin but with greater southern and central Chinese influences (as a note, the word "Mandarin" is an exonym used by foreigners for convenience and to show the common ancestry of the Ming and Jin dialects). The Song Dynasty used Fungwa, a divergent dialect originating from the Middle Chinese spoken in the 13th century. Finally, the Tran Dynasty used Vietnamese.

As a result, after unification the new empire found itself ruling over a Sinosphere that spoke many diverging forms of Chinese as well as other languages. Many Chinese communicated via written Chinese if they could not understand each other's dialect, which was a common occurrence even in China proper. To rectify this, the Chinese government expanded the Ming Dynasty's enforcement of Mainland Mandarin as an official language, ordering all administrative duties and educational lessons to be carried out in either Mainland Mandarin or Classical Chinese. While this did make it easier for people to communicate and participate in society, this had the downside of marginalizing other languages and dialects and the cultural heritage that came with them.

China prided itself on a long tradition of meritocracy and social advancement through hard work. Although Confucianism encouraged a social hierarchy, it also encouraged people to cultivate their own talents and rise up through that hierarchy as far as they could go. After all, many historical emperors, including the first Ming emperor, had once been born as peasants and now had even been deified. The biggest symbol of social advancement came from the prestigious imperial civil service examination system which had inspired systems and political institutions in other countries like the Reich. Passing the highest ranks of the examinations was a ticket to financial stability, a well paying government job if not a seat in the House of Dynasties, and even elevation to the nobility. Following unification, the traditional examination curriculum was reformed to include testing for practical subjects and specialized for specific fields. For example, an examinee hoping for a military commission could take the military-focused exam, while another examinee who aimed for political office could take the political theory exam, and examinees pursuing higher education would take a comprehensive exam focusing on math, science, literature, and the humanities. Efforts were undertaken to make the examinations open to all Chinese regardless of social or financial status, and the government established and expanded a public education system that would prepare all Chinese children for ultimately taking the exams upon graduation of high school.

In 1929, following the ascension of a new and conservative emperor, the government promoted elements of traditional Chinese culture, such as calligraphy, painting, music, and opera, and attempted to sideline foreign culture for being non-Chinese. Even so, this policy was only loosely enforced in many regions and merely a formality in major cities with large foreign populations. Roman and Indian art remained highly popular among intellectual circles, while a synthesis of Chinese and foreign culture took place in cities like Shanghai, giving rise to unique and experimental forms of art.

Foreign Relations
The Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, better known as the economic side of the Tianxia Alliance, was formed in the 1920s to cement Chinese economic hegemony. While all of the initial members were Chinese client states, membership was still open to other independent nations. However, economic agreements were written in such a way as to prioritize Chinese economic interests, ensuring that China would dominate the bloc economically as well as militarily. Although the terms of the GACPS included assurances that the Chinese military would protect all other member states, it was expected that the member states would first protect China, forming a new Great Wall against barbarian aggression that threatened the Middle Kingdom.

The GACPS had its origins in the Treaty of Vilnius at the end of the Great War. Nanjing had kept an eye on independence movements around the world, believing they would make for valuable client states after the war ended. China had no desire to directly annex territory far from its heartland, and instead thought it would be prudent to organize its gains into new nations that would be eternally grateful to Nanjing for freeing them yet also economically and militarily tied to China. Six countries were of special importance for this new plan.

First were Mongolia and Khazaria, the client states protecting the western frontier in Central Asia. Mongolia was without a doubt the client state with the closest ties to China, as Chinese elites dominated its government, while Khazaria elected a Chinese prince as their head of state. From the beginning, the two client states were plagued by Yavdian resistance, as non-Chinese populations were treated like second-class citizens by their Chinese overlords and syndicalist agitation spread like wildfire. The Chinese military was forced to constantly prop up the unpopular governments out of fear of giving the syndicalists or Russians any new allies.

Next came the Muisca Confederation. The Muisca question had been one of the Tianxia Alliance's most contentious issues for the duration of the war, as China and Tawantinsuyu frequently disagreed on what to do with the region. After years of conflict, the two nations agreed to place the region under a new nation with a Chinese prince as king, much to Cusco's disappointment. Despite this, relations between the new confederation and Tawantinsuyu eventually normalized, and the confederation's control of the Panama Canal led to an economic boom that brought prosperity to its people. The success of the "Muisca project" led many Chinese elites to believe that their cause was just and it was possible to do the same for China's other projects.

For most of the war, eastern India had not even been a declared Chinese war aim because Nanjing barely understood the culture of the region and had little desire to carve out a new nation there. Yet the presence of Chinese troops marching through Bengal on their way to targets further west provoked an uprising from Bengalis dissatisfied with the Rajput-led government in Delhi. The Republic of Bengal was proclaimed not long after. However, the Chinese occupation forces barely noticed the rebellious state at first, but once it proved its stability, Nanjing threw its full support behind it. During the final peace treaty with India in 1921, Delhi was forced to recognize Bengali independence as well as the land that was ceded according to the Treaty of Vilnius. Yet after independence the new republic found itself with the dubious honor of being the least developed nation under Chinese suzerainty.

To the south, the Madagasikara Revolution of 1917 only drove out the Roman colonial leadership thanks to massive Chinese military aid, and after the guns fell silent, Nanjing made sure the bill was repaid. After the war, the island became the most important Chinese military base in the Indian Ocean. Due to its proximity to Africa and Arabia, its airfields and ports were expanded to house as many air wings and fleets as possible, while dozens of forts and military defenses were built all across the island. By 1936, Madagasikara had effectively been turned into a giant fortress, through which China could project its power into Africa and beyond. Politically, although the government nominally enjoyed significant autonomy from Nanjing due to its distance, the fledgling republic was dominated by Chinese military cliques, who bent each political faction to serve their own ambitions. The militarist faction in particular enjoyed significant influence here, its members drawn by the opportunity to test out their "state subordinate to the military" ideas in Madagasikara, without any harm done to China itself or their own careers. The authoritarian rule of the Chinese military enraged many Malagasy, who blamed them for all of their problems. The military responded by cracking down, further radicalizing the Malagasy towards syndicalist and nationalist movements.

Luckily, the Chinese would find a more stable and reliable ally to the far south. At the southernmost fringe of the former Reich, Sudafrika had gained its independence by using the chaos of the civil war in Europe to oust its colonial government in 1925, yet it fell into its own civil war between natives and settlers which was ultimately won by the latter. In an attempted compromise between the two sides, the Sudafrikan government elected a Chinese prince to the throne and accepted an invitation to join the GACPS. As they had chosen to accept a Chinese prince and join the alliance of their own free will, the Chinese government gave them expanded privileges and recognition within the alliance, treating Sudafrika not as another client state but as a equal and allied nation that would help the Celestial Empire in the fight against syndicalism.

These six nations formed the core of China's geopolitical ambitions, as the first pillars in a new plan to restore the old Sinocentric world order. Each nation had been built, sometimes from the ground up, with Chinese support and investment instead of becoming yet more provinces of China. Nanjing hoped that the successes among them meant that the rest of the world could be harmonized in the same way. As syndicalism ravaged Europe and the rest of Africa and nationalists rose to power everywhere, the GACPS stood as a bastion of the natural order, ready to restore balance to the world and once again put barbarians in their rightful place under heaven. Only time would tell if China's new ambitions would succeed, bringing with it a new era of harmony, or lead to the loss of the Mandate of Heaven.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Great work as always. There are a few things I'd like to point out for editing though.
1711468344066.png

Grand Secretariat Kang Youwei of the Chinese Empire
Either remove the picture or remove the name, because I made all of the changes yesterday from the assumption that it would remain valid for DE.
This, however, changed in June 1901, when the Roman navy announced its newest warship. Called the Furchtlos, or dreadnought, this new battleship possessed a heavy caliber guns and a steam turbine propulsion system that made it much stronger than any previous warship. In response, the Chinese government ordered the manufacturing of its own dreadnoughts, provoking a naval arms race with the Reich. Within five years, two classes of battleships dominated the world's oceans: the Roman Saint Wilhelmina and Chinese Zhu Yuanzhang.
Update the relevant paragraph on dreadnoughts with the changes I made here.
China's erratic and undiplomatic behavior on the global stage and its massive militarization between 1900 and 1914 scared the Reich and India. To challenge China, a counterbalance had to be created, and so the Kaiser and the Roman government established their own alliance with India, Russia, and other likeminded nations, promising not only military protection from Chinese and Meskwaki aggression but also a free trade deal where Roman goods and services would help their respective countries.
Update the "erratic and undiplomatic behavior" paragraph as I did here.
Imperial Assembly.JPG

Imperial Assembly
Remove this entirely. After visiting the actual building in Taipei, it doesn't really fit as the legislature of a giant empire spanning 3 continents.
Xuantong Emperor.jpg

Xuantong Emperor
Either remove the picture entirely or replace "Xuantong Emperor" with "The current emperor of China" since the name will probably be changed in DE.
TSgYbs-gmOSD5CXWqGePn2HzhrOLUFrT0m2Dq4yfyVrIydoqFaPX7mm3DUjJnEyEYpyaAaf1M7uJ2C-j7Y4-Ml7pZQtcPnnzgMFGpv8ldeT-YuBlRZOfvKwr8OhkKUTP1D77sANXn4TS0spy4eNBzXc

Pro-Syndicalist poster in Albion
I'd rather not use KR iconography in a non-KR setting, even if we are technically talking about a KR setting in a non-KR setting.
Symbol of Confucianism.png

Symbol of Confucianism
Technically that's a symbol of Taoism. In any case you can remove it entirely.
Early copy of Journey to the West.jpg

Early copy of Journey to the West
Remove as well.

Great work @GhostRider124! I'm surprised to see you used my rename for Lenin in this update, since I was planning on changing the given name "Volodymyr" to something else in the Draka addendum while keeping Ligdan based on Zen's prior suggestion, but I don't really mind its use here. Looking forward to the Cyberpunk updates.

Great work @GhostRider124! I'm surprised to see you used my rename for Lenin in this update, since I was planning on changing the given name "Volodymyr" to something else in the Draka addendum while keeping Ligdan based on Zen's prior suggestion, but I don't really mind its use here. Looking forward to the Cyberpunk updates.
That was actually a coincidence on my part. I used the fantasynamegenerators website (more specifically the Chinese names) so it was completely random.

That was actually a coincidence on my part. I used the fantasynamegenerators website (more specifically the Chinese names) so it was completely random.
That is indeed a funny coincidence, since I did the same thing lol.

Also I think I just noticed a couple typos in these last couple updates, since I'm sure the former quote meant to refer to the Mexica while the latter should say Persia will be affected by famine, just a heads up guys.
while the Purepecha struggled to rule their overextended empire
“Yes, Persia won’t be affected. Even China, with its withdrawal from the world, will suffer.” Samir looked at the scimitar and made a fist. “All because some old men in Berlin and Nanjing just wanted to satisfy their egos. They got billions killed. Hundreds of millions more will starve. I hope they get to live in the world they created.”

Last edited:
"Volodymyr Ligdan" was actually my doing when editing the post for GhostRider as it was originally just "Vladimir Lenin" (same deal with "Boris Savinkov" originally appearing but I gave him a new name). I lifted it from your Draka post and forgot we had that whole discussion a few days ago. It's fine if you change it.
Also I think I just noticed a couple typos in these last couple updates, since I'm sure the former quote meant to refer to the Mexica while the latter should say Persia will be affected by famine, just a heads up guys.
It was originally "Tarascan" so I edited it to Purepecha, for the record.

And fixed.

Reactions:
A Day of Ends and Beginnings, Part 5

Baku - 10:35 AM

Deu meu, stubborn Kreuzie fanatics,” Ruby muttered, “Don’t know when to quit.”

“Pot, meet kettle,” Billy said.

They crouched in an abandoned half-destroyed apartment building on the outskirts of Baku. Gunfire zipped overhead, further tearing at the already demolished walls. Ruby feared a lucky hit on one of the support columns would bring the whole thing down on top of them. But they couldn’t advance further at the moment. An enemy platoon stood in their way, having taken up defensive positions throughout this urban neighborhood. What was worse was…

Thunder rattled the building, and Ruby held back her instinct to drop to the floor. She took a cautious peak through one of the bullet holes left by the enemy. Over there, in the distance, just barely visible between the high-rises, she made out the tip of an artillery cannon, camouflaged among the trees of a former park.

“Please tell me your exosuit comes with a rocket launcher,” Ruby said.

“Unfortunately, Thea decided against installing it,” Billy said, “Said it would hurt my back. So we’ll have to take it out the old-fashioned way.”

Maleïda.”

Billy addressed the rest of the platoon. “Listen up! We’ve got an artillery encampment to take out in that park three blocks down. We’ve got no air support, so we’re going to have to wing it. Fireteam Alpha, you’re with me. We’ll provide them with a target while Fireteams Beta and Gamma go down Iberia and Fifteenth.”

Espera, we’re the distraction?” Ruby said.

“We can handle it,” Billy said, “All we have to do is wait for them to reload.”

The artillery fired again with a loud boom, and the shells rained down around the apartment for another ten seconds. Then it leveled off.

“Alright, that’s our cue! Allons-y!” The Liberators emerged from the apartment and ran down the street as fast as they could, jumping over debris and dodging gunfire from the enemy defenses. The street was strewn with debris, bullet casings, and the bodies of both Crusaders and civilians. Billy ran ahead of Ruby, using his shoulder turret to take out enemy machine gunners before they fired. Ruby nearly lost her balance when one foot came down on a large shell casing that slipped out from underneath her, but she regained her balance and kept running. Artillery shells came down around them again, the enemy crew having finished reloading. But that was part of their plan. All they had to do now was not die. The shockwave from a shell exploding nearby almost threw Ruby off, but Billy held out a hand to steady her.

“Don’t worry! I’ve got you!”

Shell craters and shredded tree trunks covered the Ecouves Forest. Ruby lay in the soft soil, her lower half having been hit by a large branch dislodged from a blown up tree. Around her the sounds of nature she grew up hearing—the rustling of the trees in the wind, the singing of birds, the movements of deer. Like the woods and lakes around Perpignan, nature had given way to the battlefields of humans. Why did this place have to end up like the rest of the Reich? Why?

“Ruby!” The old police chief of Alençon, still wearing the tattered remains of his uniform, entered her field of vision.

“Billy?” Ruby weakly said.

Billy crouched down and offered a hand. “I’ve got you, Ruby! You’re not dying on my watch!”

Ruby laughed. “Of course you do. Not on your watch, huh?”

They kept running until they reached a school next to the park. “We’re going to cut through the gym and ambush the artillery from there, while Beta and Gamma hit it from the other end!”

“Got it!”

They lined up against the side of the gym, next to one of the doors. “Breach!” Billy grabbed the handle and pulled strongly, easily ripping the whole door off its lock and hinges. They charged into the gym. “Go, go, go!”

Once the gym’s main court was secured, they filtered into the other rooms to cover their flank. Billy and Ruby approached a locker room. The door was locked, but like with the other one, Billy simply ripped it off its hinges. “Clear!”

Vurma!” A cry of panic came from inside. “Wait!”

Billy held up his hand. “Who is it? Come out now!”

An older man peered his head out from behind a locker. “Uh…you’re not Crusaders, are you?”

Ruby pointed at herself. “Am I a goddamn Kreuzie?”

“Do you work here?” Billy asked.

“I was a janitor here,” the man said, “Though this hasn’t been a school in a long time.”

Images of Ruby’s old school in Perpignan—and her final mission there—flashed across her mind. “But you still work here?”

“They used this place as a training center,” the janitor said, “They kept me here to clean up after the…messes they made.”

“And when we attacked, you decided to hide here?”

“Lots of us did.” The janitor nervous looked around him. “Moria may have focused his nuclear-fueled rage on the other side of the Black Sea, but we haven’t exactly escaped either. When you guys started attacking, we feared the Home Guardians and Crusaders would crack down harder.”

“I did hear rumors of some Crusader units using human shields or executing civilians,” Billy said, “Don’t worry, we’re going to make sure that doesn’t happen to you.”

“You will?”

“We’re the Liberation Legion,” Billy said, “We protect the weak and the defenseless. As long as I’m here, we’ve got your back. Always.”

---

“What do you mean you want to evacuate civilians?” Gebhard said. “Don’t you know we have enough mouths to feed?”

“Sir, with all due respect, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if we left these people to die. There are several dozen of them hiding in this school alone. We can evacuate them to the refinery district and prep them for extraction.”

“You have an artillery emplacement to deal with first, don’t you?”

“Sir, we’ll handle it. Requesting a helicopter to extract the civilians.”

Gebhard sighed. “I haven’t agreed to any—”

“Gebhard.” Börte tapped her fingers against the table impatiently. “We need to show we’re different from Jerusalem. Otherwise, what’s the point of all this?”

“Making a point means nothing if we all die from starvation,” Gebhard said, “We need to put the survival of our people above all else.”

“And yet you once called the people of Baku fellow Romans,” Börte said.

“Sometimes, we have to make the hard choices, Börte.”

“You say we’re doing this to save the Roman nation from complete eradication,” Börte said, “To save your values and your ideas from being crushed by totalitarian regimes. To protect the people that still cling to them. But you never asked the question: why do you deserve salvation? Why are the Romans worth saving? The people of Baku were once Romans, yet you would rather abandon them to certain death to feed yourselves. Same as what the Persians did to you. You say it’s not your fault, that the decision is out of your hands, that you can’t be blamed for it. But the reality is you always have a choice. Sometimes, the right thing to do isn’t the easier thing to do. Please, Gebhard. Lives are in your hands.”

“Lives are always in my hands, though,” Gebhard said, “You know, in the academy I read the diaries of Vienna resistance leaders against the Angeloi, during their war. The one line I read that always stuck out to me was, ‘You can’t save everybody.’ So that’s how I operated. Save as much as you can, and bear the sins for abandoning the others. I can save these people now, but can I protect them in the long term?”

“You’ll never know if you don’t try it.”

10:41 AM

“Your request is authorized,” Gebhard said, “We will arrange for exfil from the parking lot in front of Refinery 1, starting at 1300 hours. In the meantime, secure the area.”

Verstanden, sir. Will do. Marks out.” Billy turned back to the janitor. “See? We got your back, unlike those Kreuzie scum.”

“Oh, çox sağ ol!” the janitor exclaimed. “I don’t know how to repay you!”

“Just…don’t die on us,” Ruby said, “That will be enough.”

“Anyways, stay put here,” Billy said, “We’re going to secure the rest of the area. Ruby?”

“On it.”

They left the locker room and headed down the hallway.

“Seriously, how hard can it be to do the right thing?” Billy said.

“What do you mean?” Ruby asked.

“It took several minutes of explaining to get General Remmele around to the idea of evacuating these civilians to the convoy. But he always tried to hide behind excuses of food and fuel.”

“He’s a general. He thinks in terms of army logistics, not people.” He wasn’t even shooting the enemy himself, only moving counters on a map.

“See, you get me!” Billy said. “It’s starting to feel like Jerusalem again. Treating human lives as disposable resources, don’t you think?”

“I wouldn’t say it’s like Jerusalem, but I do get the feeling,” Ruby said, “He’s not in touch with the reality on the ground.”

“Should we really take orders from a man like him?”

“I don’t know. Why don’t we consult it with Samir and the others when they get back?”

“Good idea.”

Isfahan - 11:46 AM

Two trays of food slid through a slot in the door. “Savor your pig chow while you still can. Be grateful we spent several hundred dinars fattening you up.” The slot locked behind the food, and the guard stormed off. Alex and Angelica slowly took their trays and began eating. There wasn’t a lot of food on either of them. Just some bread and chicken slices with a cup of water.

“The economy must be falling on hard times if this costs several hundred dinars,” Alex joked.

“Probably made up the number to make us feel worse,” Angelica said, “I wouldn’t put too much stock in it. Even if the actual number wouldn’t be that much lower, by my estimate.”

“Don’t death row prisoners usually get a right to choosing their last meal?”

“I wouldn’t know. Jerusalem certainly didn’t think so. Just eat.”

They finished within minutes. Alex felt barely satisfied.

“Not much better than what the refugees are probably eating,” Angelica said, “All the while the Persians out there eat like it’s still 2029. Even with all of the rationing and shortages. You know, it might actually be a badge of honor.”

“What do you mean?”

“To eat something similar as the refugees do for our last meal.”

“If you put it that way…” Alex looked at the crumbs on the tray. “Maybe Thea’s eating something like this. And Alexandra and Magnus and all of the others.”

“We can’t let them grind us down,” Angelica said, “We go to our deaths with our heads held high, knowing that others will carry on after us.”

“Right,” Alex said.

Angelica raised her cup. “To all of them.”

Alex tried cracking a smile as he raised his own and toasted. “Sure. To all of them.”

He felt like savoring his water, as if he wouldn’t get another.

---

Mozaffar’s stomach grumbled, alerting him to the time. His eyes wandered around the street, trying to find any restaurants that might look appealing. Though there were many of them, there were many more political campaign posters, all bearing his anointed visage. Looking at one up close, he noticed it had been digitally touched up significantly. His cheeks were a little thinner, his hair less gray, and his face akin to that of a stern grandfather laying down the law. “Mozaffar will bring about the Persian Century! Pâyande Bâdâ Irân! Pâyande Bâdâ Mozaffar!” they declared. The only thing stopping him from cringing and tearing down each poster was that they looked so different from his actual face that very few people recognized him. Even after all of my TV appearances, huh? Guess I can’t complain. Imagine that, Parviz doing something I’m thankful for.

“Get your sandwiches here! We still have fresh chicken!” Deciding not to push his anonymity in one of the restaurants, Mozaffar stopped at a food truck. The owner was hard at work cooking the chicken he was so loudly yelling about.

“How much for one chicken sandwich?” Mozaffar took out his wallet.

“At fair market price this morning? 63 dinars.”

Mozaffar’s jaw dropped, and his hands froze halfway through pulling out a 5 dinar bill. Then he nervously laughed. “Did I hear that right?”

The hawker nodded sadly. “Âri, that’s right. 63 dinars.”

“I could buy a five-course family meal for that price.”

“Wish I could lower the price, but our currency’s being dragged to Duzakh thanks to the thaler. Damn Romans ruined everything for us.” He spat in a westward direction.

“I’m sorry,” Mozaffar said.

“You don’t have to apologize for what the Romans did,” the hawker said, “It’s not our fault. All we did was try to make an honest living. Unlike them, you get me?”

“I agree.” Mozaffar didn’t want to say too much at once. There was no way this man hadn’t heard his voice at least once somewhere. He took out a hundred dinar bill. “Don’t worry, I’ll help.”

Motšakkeram.” The hawker took the bill and opened the cash register. “Here’s your change, 37—”

Mozaffar pushed away the change. “Keep it.”

“You…you sure?” the hawker asked. “In this economy? It’s 37 dinars.”

“As fellow citizens of this nation, we’ve got a duty to help each other,” Mozaffar said, “There’s strength in unity.”

The hawker stared at him for a few seconds, and Mozaffar realized he had spoken too much and too closely to one of his speeches. Perhaps the secret was out. His eyes darted across the street, trying to find an alley he could duck into as a shortcut back to the hospital avoiding the crowds that would inevitably swarm him.

Then the hawker nodded approvingly and clapped his hands. “You really do get me, my rafiq! We’ve all got to band together against the Romans and other enemies of our nation!” He pocketed the 37 dinars as Mozaffar wanted, then handed him his sandwich. “You enjoy your sandwich now. And remember!” He thrust a crumb- and sauce-covered gloved fist in the air. “Pâyande Bâdâ Irân!

Mozaffar returned the salute. “Pâyande Bâdâ Irân.”

He quickly took the sandwich and walked away, eating as he went. It tasted fine by all means, but his thoughts today kept him from fully enjoying it.

We’ve got a duty to help each other, yet we demonized and cast out those who needed it most.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Damn, we're at the point were Gebhard is considering leaving civilians, let alone fellow Roman citizens, behind in order to achieve his objective more efficiently. Goes to show the kind of hellhole this world has become. At least he agreed to help them in the end, those civilians are lucky to see the Liberation Legion instead of soldiers from states as genocidal and evil as Jerusalem, like Persia and China.

Damn, we're at the point were Gebhard is considering leaving civilians, let alone fellow Roman citizens, behind in order to achieve his objective more efficiently. Goes to show the kind of hellhole this world has become. At least he agreed to help them in the end, those civilians are lucky to see the Liberation Legion instead of soldiers from states as genocidal and evil as Jerusalem, like Persia and China.
Unfortunately, the Liberation Legion can't be everywhere.

Something tells me, back pain or no, that rocket launcher is getting installed next time.

Something tells me, back pain or no, that rocket launcher is getting installed next time.
Something for Thea to work on once she’s in better shape, no doubt.

A Day of Ends and Beginnings, Part 6

11:53 AM

Parviz poured Theodor a cup of tea. “My apologies for the weak flavor. I’m not very good at brewing tea, and we’re running low on leaves.”

Theodor couldn’t tell, though. “I’m more of a coffee person anyways.”

“I suppose the caffeine helps you research better.”

“No, it was for dealing with all of the brain-dead shareholders and executives Mina Schaefer filled the company with after old Uncle Willy died.” Theodor kicked back and sipped his coffee, watching Josh’s surgery continue on the other side of the window. “None of them had the vision, the drive I had. They would rather gut the company for short-term profits.”

“But isn’t that what you yourself did?” Parviz asked. “Gut the entire Reich for short-term profits?”

“I wouldn’t call it gutting, but for a brief moment in time, I created so much value for myself!” Theodor beamed, proud of his work. “I got rid of all of the equalists and the politicians and the bureaucrats who wanted to take away my hard-earned money. I had a vision that could only be achieved with that money, and I realized it.”

“And then what?” Parviz asked. “What would you have done after you got what you wanted?”

“I don’t know, retire?” Theodor said. “Live a life of luxury in the Baleares, probably. I earned it after a long life of hard work.”

“By the way, I never bothered to ask,” Parviz said, “How did you get your start?”

“Well, that’s an interesting question, glad you asked!” Theodor smiled. He had shared this story so many times before. What was one more? “It’s a long rags to riches story, something I believe you can relate to quite well.”

One more go at it. It was easy. He had repeated it so many times before, to so many people over the last 30 years.

“I was born with the Tesla name, but I was born into a distant branch of the family.”

So then why did this feel different?

“My father, Reinhard, was the grandson of Johan Tesla, who was a cousin of Helmut Tesla, the third CEO of Tesla Dynamic, on his mother’s side. So separated from the main family, Reinhard had to strike out on his own without the company’s backing.”

When he himself became CEO and reviewed the ledgers, he had found a set of payments between the years 1964 and 1984—when Reinhard would have been in his childhood or teens—amounting to about ten thousand thalers per month, paid to each of Johan’s descendants. Judging from the date of the last payment, it seemed Wilhelm Tesla had cut them off because of the last war.

“The war was hard on us in Illyria. The Teslas weren’t spared. The main branch moved the company headquarters and their primary residences from bombed-out Vrhbosna to Frankfurt. My dad decided to move to Augsburg for its lower tax rates. Helped him start a business from scratch.”

Records from 1986 indicated a “Reinhard Thiessen,” the name Theodor’s family went by at the time, opened a hobby electronics store. He had bought an expensive plot of land in the middle of the business district, which had been hit by a Russian bombing raid. He spared no expense building the store and stocking it with the latest technology coming out of Israel and China. All that would have cost him a fortune. But Reinhard had his family, who all helped with an impressive marketing campaign that made Thiessen Electronics the biggest store in Augsburg.

“He was a successful man. Refused to accept help from the government, fought fiercely to protect what was his from the tax collector. He wasn’t born in Bavaria, but he was Bavarian in spirit. Met my mom by happenstance one day. I was born in 1993. Thea was born in 1998. From what little I remember, my childhood was happy despite my dad working his butt off to support us all.”

As soon as the door opened, four-year-old Theodor ran towards Reinhard. “DAD!”

Reinhard put down his briefcase and caught his son. “What’s going on, Theo?”

“I missed you, dad!” His face was covered in tears.

“Have you been a good boy for your mother?” Reinhard said.

“I have!”

“Don’t worry.” Reinhard patted Theodor’s head. “I was just at work.”

“But you’re always at work!”

“Reinhard.” Reinhard saw Stella standing behind Theodor, arms crossed.

“Uh, Stella. Rough day at work.”

“Tell me about it.” Stella bent down and looked at Theodor. “Can you tuck yourself in, Theo?”

“Okay!” Theodor rushed up the stairs, but from his room, he could still clearly hear his parents.

“The Imperial Tax Bureau is auditing Thiessen Electronics.”

“…What?!”

“Yeah. The idiots in the Leipzig store inflated their numbers to make themselves look better. Now Kaiser Otto’s coming down on us.”

“On
us, because of what they did?”

“I told you we shouldn’t have trusted those
Ostleren. After so long living under the equalists, did you really think they would remember how to run a business?”

“Reinhard. What matters now is handing the RFA’s audit.”

“It’s fine. I can call up Wilhelm in Frankfurt. He’ll sort everything out with them.”

“We can’t keep relying on your relatives for everything. Especially that cousin of yours. Isn’t he the reason we’re no longer getting the monthly payments? Would’ve been really helpful for Theo.”

“My cousin is the reason we even have a store to get audited. He’s helped me before. No reason not to help me again.”

“Reinhard, you have to let it go! We’ve got to stand on our own.”

“But he’s family!”

“And yet you put aside the Tesla name.”

“I still have ties to the family.”

“But are they tied to you? Is Wilhelm Tesla?”

“My dad made it big when the personal computer boom happened. He went from ‘that one guy who repairs radios on Main and Ludwig’ to a major seller of computers to the average Roman. He made Thiessen a household name. Of course, the government got jealous and demanded its cut of the pie as it always does, what a racket, but we could afford good lawyers. Though they weren’t the only ones jealous about our new wealth.”

A loud and rapid knock on the door woke Theodor from his sleep. One-year-old Thea stayed asleep in her cradle. He envied his little sister’s good behavior and inability to be shaken awake. His mother always said she never heard of any baby who didn’t constantly wake up and cry.

“Coming!” Reinhard walked up to the door. “Weird, though. Who’d show up this late in the—”

As soon as he opened the door, a shot rang out, and Theodor heard his father collapse on the floor with a loud but dull thud. Stella’s scream echoed through the house shortly afterward. “REINHARD! Who are you?!”

The sound of stomping footsteps filled the air, accompanied by the clicking of guns. “We are here to end the pitiful and corrupt existence of Reinhard Thiessen…or should we say, Reinhard Tesla.”

Theodor crept out of his room and to the stairs, peering down from behind a wall. He saw two armed men standing in the foyer, pointing Russian-make pistols at Stella. Reinhard lay on the floor, clutching a blood-spurting wound in his gut. Theodor could barely hear his groans and pained utterances from upstairs.

“Tesla?” Stella had one hand behind her back, reaching for the landline on a table. “We put that aside when we moved here.”

“File all the paperwork you want, but you can’t change your blood. The blood that oppresses the workers of the east and wraps them in the imperialist chains of capital.”

“Is this…about Leipzig?” Reinhard gasped. “Goddamn
Ostleren. You couldn’t leave it alone, could you now?”

“Goddamn
Ostleren,” Theodor repeated, though he had no idea what either word meant at the time.

“While Leipzig was what brought you to our attention, it is meaningless compared to our greater struggle against the forces of imperialist capital.”

“Even worse than
Ostleren…equalists.”

Those were Reinhard’s last words. One of the militants put a bullet between his eyes.

“NO! YOU MONSTERS!” Stella screamed.

“He got what was coming for him. And you will too.”

“Good luck trying to get out of here, though.” Stella had already finished dialing 119 on the landline behind her back. The voice of a first responder could be heard through the receiver.

“Why you—you have a death wish?!” The militants aimed at Stella.

“Stupid equalists, taking what isn’t yours,” Stella replied.

Another shot rang out, and Stella no longer had a head. Having seen everything, Theodor put a hand to his mouth, suppressing both his instinct to vomit and the desire to scream. He quietly returned to his room and locked the door without making a noise. Thea was still sleeping in her cradle, so he picked her up and hid the two of them underneath the bed, staying as quiet as possible.

“There were children here. We need to eliminate them as well.”

“What are you talking about? The cops are on their way. We took out our targets already. We should leave while we still can.”

“Not until we finish the mission. We were paid to kill all of the Thiessens, not just Reinhard.”

“Ever wonder why they asked us to kill just the Thiessens? Not the main branch? And to follow their script to the letter?”

“No, but the money’s good, so why should I complain?”

Theodor heard screeching tires, the sound of police sirens, and slamming car doors outside. “Augsburg Police Department! Come out with your hands up!”

“I told you we should’ve left while we could.”

The police stormed inside and opened fire. Thea still remained asleep.

“It was the summer of 1998, I think. The Red Army Faction, in their last act of terrorism—literally weeks before they officially disbanded—burst into our home. They had heard rumors that a Tesla was living in Augsburg and got my dad’s address. They killed him immediately. Thea and I hid under the bed. I don’t know how, but Thea slept through the whole thing. My mom called the cops, but they didn’t come in time. They shot her next. Then the cops showed up and killed those equalists. Incompetent government couldn’t save my parents or even get revenge. Because, you know, the RAF disbanded later that summer.”

“So I take it you were put in an orphanage next, then.”

“Yeah, we did. A lot of them.”

“Hey!” An older boy had taken his sandwich and now dangled it just above how far ten-year-old Theodor could reach with his arms. “Give it back!”

“What’s the magic word?” the boy taunted.

“It’s for my sister!” Theodor said. “She’s only five!”

“Don’t you know I’ve got
two brothers? Sharing is caring.”

“So you’d take away food for a little girl who can barely talk?”

“What can I say?” the boy laughed. “I have more brothers than you have sisters. So it makes more sense to share it with more people! You selfish brat.”

“It was mine, though!” Theodor said. “I worked at the donations booth for a whole week! I earned that sandwich! What have you done other than watch those Chinese cartoons?”

“So what are you going to do about it? Take it from me, why don’t you?”

Theodor jumped up, but he was still too short to grab the sandwich back. “Cheater! Unfair! You’re taking my hard work!”

“My brothers need it more than your sister!” The boy walked away. “Why should I even feed that quiet girl anyways?”

“You come back here! I’ve never even seen your brothers!” Theodor shoook his fist, but he couldn’t do anything. “Stupid equalist, taking what isn’t yours!” He still didn’t understand the meaning of that word.

Theodor returned to his room, face shamefully looking down at the creaky wood floor. He slammed the door behind him. “How could you…be so cruel?!”

“Big brother?” Thea was sitting in her bed, drawing something in a notebook. Several rather thick and complicated books lay all around her, some open to pages with even more complicated diagrams and esoteric descriptions. “Is lunch here?”

“Thea…” Theodor said. “I’m sorry. Looks like we’re eating salad again.”

“Aw…” Thea said. “I wanted a sandwich!”

“Me too, dear…” Theodor sat down. “I tried my best. I’m so sorry…”

“It’s okay!” But his little sister didn’t look too sad. She put on a wide smile. “I know you tried!”

“There’s always dinner,” Theodor said, “I’ll make sure to go early and get you the best portions!”

His mind thought it was a good time to remind him of the gap in his mouth where a baby tooth had fallen out.

“Really?”

“How could I not for a little sister as cute as you?” Theodor said. “And if anybody thinks they can take away our hard-earned food…well, I’ll destroy them!”

“Yay! Destroy them!”

“We drifted from orphanage to orphanage for years. It was a hard life. I was a small boy, and Thea kept to her room reading books for kids three times her age, so the other kids thought I was trying to get extra portions for myself, even though they knew she existed. I worked twice as hard as them, and what did they ever do but leech off the things I earned?”

“Sounds like equalism to me.”

“Even back then, I knew the sham that equalism was. Taking away people’s hard work and giving it to those who did nothing? Made absolutely no sense. They spoke of equality, but not fairness. The Reich was supposed to be a country where anybody could make it as far as they could on their own merits. You can’t make it that far? Well, sucks to be you. Your own fault you failed. Either you reached your limit, or you weren’t trying enough. I shouldn’t be the one covering your failures just because I’m more successful.”

Parviz nodded in agreement. “I get that.”

“I know you do. You expelled the Roman traitors.”

“Are you mad?” Parviz looked a little worried.

Theodor shook his head. “No, not really. They were leeches on your society. Failures from a failed nation who only took from you and never gave back. They deserved what they got.”

“But aren’t you Roman as well?”

“Not anymore.” There was a time when he would be proud to call himself Roman, but that time had long since passed. “It’s Jerusalem’s time now. The Reich is a failed experiment that outlived its own death date. Anybody who clings to that failed legacy deserves what is coming to them. I don’t, because I keep moving forward and improving myself.”

“That’s how you got here, right?”

“The only alternative was losing the only family I had left,” Theodor said, “If I could just be the best kid in the orphanage, they wouldn’t separate us. I was bad at sports, so I decided to study.”

“How did you do?”

Theodor smugly grinned. “I’m here before you, as the leader of the largest and most powerful corporation in the history of humanity. How do you think I did?”

Eleven-year-old Theodor nervously fidgeted in his chair. Frau Potha paced around the small office, her arms crossed. Finally, she stopped in front of Theodor and held out a science test.

“Can you read what it says here?” She pointed at the grade written in red ink.

Theodor leaned closer. “It says…F.”

“In all of my years of teaching, none of my students have ever gotten a perfect 0,” Potha said, “I didn’t even think it was possible. I’d say you were cheating, but no cheater would deliberately aim for a lower score, let alone 0, and your homework…well, your homework backs it up.”

He didn’t want to think about his homework. It brought up memories of shredded paper, laughter, and pain in his gut. “I’m trying my best.”

“It seems you’re trying your best to fail.”

“No, really!” Theodor was sincere, but his words fell on deaf ears.

“You should be more like Dorothea. Only six, but she shows so much promise.”

Theodor sighed. “I know, I know. I’m trying.”

“You’re not trying hard enough. How are you going to make it if you can’t even pass a test? You’re coming up on the end of fifth grade. I don’t want to hold you back a year. You want to graduate with your friends, right?”

Fifth grade had been a nightmare for him. He had somehow survived all of the previous grades, but he hadn’t expected his grades to nosedive off a cliff this year. And now he was going to be held back a year? No, he had places to go, things to do, a sister to protect! How could he protect Thea if he couldn’t even do well in school?

“You know, this country rewards hard work,” Potha said, “If you put in effort, you can go as far as you want, but the same is true of the reverse. I can only help you go so far. God helps those who help themselves. You can’t take what isn’t yours.”

At that, Theodor recoiled in his chair. “Am I an…equalist?”

He still didn’t know what that word meant.

“My sister also did well in school,” Theodor said, “We share the same blood, after all. Together, we made a name for ourselves.”

“I’d expect as much,” Parviz said, “You’re Teslas.”

“We weren’t going by the Tesla name at the time,” Theodor said, “We kept Dad’s name of Thiessen. Even after the RAF dissolved, there was a chance other equalists might try to murder us if we tied ourselves to the company.”

“You couldn’t have reached out to Wilhelm Tesla?”

Theodor shook his head. “He couldn’t help my parents. He barely cared if I existed, if he ever knew. So why should I reach out to him?”

“But he did find you eventually.”

“Only by happenstance. If not for my brilliance, we would have languished in those orphanages for the rest of our childhoods.”

“Come on you dummy, you know this…”

Theodor was in detention, doing a make-up test for Frau Potha’s science class. Numbers and complicated words swirled through his mind, trying to solidify into concepts and formulas. Yet he was never sure which one was right.

“The water cycle? So why is there rain? What’s the word…precipitation? When the water is spewed up from the ocean? How does it go up from the ocean then?”

It was so difficult, but he felt like it was something so simple he shouldn’t have trouble.

The phone suddenly rang. “Hello?” Potha spoke into the receiver. Then her eyes widened. “What?! She did
what?! Who’s coming? No, hold them off! I need to speak to her!”

She ran for the door, panicked like Theodor had never seen her before.

“Frau Potha?” Theodor asked. “What’s happening?”

“No time, Theodor!” Potha said. “I need to go!”

With that, she was out the door. With nobody else in the room, Theodor put his test aside and followed her into the hallway, keeping his distance. Potha disappeared through the main doors to the school gym. That was where they were holding a science fair. Did something happen there? Theodor crept up to the door and cracked it slightly open. He was instantly hit with a wave of panicked shouts and loud arguments. Inside, he saw most of the faculty crowded around the stage, or rather one particular project that had been placed there. And that project was made by…

“Thea?” Theodor poked his head through the opening in the door. “What did you do?”

“Big brother Theo!” When she noticed him, Thea waved excitedly, jumping up and down. “Look!” She pointed at a large mechanical contraption surrounded by water tanks and lightbulbs, some of them steaming and lit up. “A hydrogen nuclear fusion reactor! It works just like the books said!”

“A
WHAT REACTOR?!” Potha said. “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, YOUNG LADY?!”

“The Athanatoi’s been called! What are we going to do? Are we going to be arrested?!”

“I HAVE NO IDEA! SIX-YEAR-OLDS SHOULDN’T BE DABBLING IN NUCLEAR PHYSICS!”

“I…” Thea stammered, fidgeting in place as everybody in the room stared at her. For everything Theodor had done, or more like
hadn’t done, at this point, they had forgotten him because Thea of all people had done something so much crazier. “I…”

What was going to happen to him now? He was still going to fail science class. He had walked out on the make-up test. He was going to be held back a year. Meanwhile, Thea had built a goddamn hydrogen nuclear fusion reactor from scratch. Something that shouldn’t be possible for many more decades, much less by a little girl. He was going to look even worse by comparison. A worthless brother who made such a big deal about protecting his little sister, only for her to completely outshine him. He couldn’t even comprehend the freaking water cycle. He was doomed.

“Thank you so much, big brother!”

At that moment, everybody’s eyes fell on Theodor, and he froze up like a deer in headlights. “I…er…what, Thea?”

“You taught me everything I needed to build this!” Thea said, with a big smile on her face that would melt the ice in any heart. “I know you’ve been doing so much to support us. You’ve been so busy with everything that you haven’t had time for classes, much less your own hobby. So I followed the steps in your journal as closely as I could, and boom, pow, wham!” She pointed at the reactor and made some dramatic hand motions like those from a superhero cartoon. “I hope I was able to achieve your dream!”

“You…” Potha’s jaw dropped even more. “This was
your idea?”

The other faculty joined in.

“So he was sacrificing his own grades for a greater passion…”

“Helping his sister outside of school? Would explain the low grades.”

“No way a six-year-old could have made this. But an eleven-year-old genius? I can see it.”

Theodor realized his sister was giving him an out. Obviously, she had done it all herself. How could he have fused hydrogen if he didn’t even know where rain came from? Thea knew it too. Perhaps that was why she wasn’t taking credit. By making him appear like the genius inventor, he wouldn’t be held back a grade. He could get better treatment by the teachers. Most of all, nobody would write him off as a stupid idiot leech anymore.

As everybody in the gym stared at him, he forced himself to smile proudly. “Yes. It was me. I asked her to do it.”

He wouldn’t be an equalist. He still didn’t know what the word meant.

“I created a hydrogen fusion reactor in fifth grade, when I was 11,” Theodor said, “I had studied as much about the history of nuclear science as I could. Once I was familiar with all of the big names, I started reading their equations and schematics. After that, it was a matter of gathering the materials and applying what I had learned. I revealed my invention at the science fair.”

“I…wow.” Parviz was amazed. “Mastering nuclear fusion at eleven years old? You’re a genius!”

“It took time for my teachers to realize it. When they saw my creation, though, they knelt before me, begging for my forgiveness.” Theodor reveled in the image he had created for himself, clenching a fist triumphantly. “That was the ticket out of our misery. Away from Dad’s failed legacy. The ticket to my birthright.”

“That was when Wilhelm Tesla found you?”

Theodor nodded. “Yes. He too was among those kneeling before me.”

A loud buzz of the orphanage doorbell woke Theodor from his sleep. Thea remained asleep, as she always did. It was early in the morning, so most of the other kids were still asleep. But Theodor crept out of his room and to the stairs, where he got a good view of the front door.

“Coming!” One of the orphanage staff opened the door. “Who is it—OH MY GOD!”

Wilhelm Tesla, dressed in one of his finest business suits, stepped forward with the warm smile of a friendly uncle, at least on the surface. “Hello. You know who I am.”

“Y-Yes, of course. W-what are you doing here?”

“I am here for one Theodor and Dorothea Thiessen,” Tesla said, “Or should I say, Theodor and Dorothea Tesla.”

“I’m here.” Theodor appeared at the top of the stairs. “Don’t bother trying to wake my sister. She wakes up on her own terms.”

“Hello, Theodor.” Tesla took off his hat and took a slight bow. “I came here as soon as I heard about the science fair.”

Theodor stomped down the stairs. He matched Tesla’s grin with his own and put his arms on his hips. “Ah, my brilliance is so
blinding that even the main branch has no choice but to acknowledge my existence!”

Tesla looked at the staff member. “Please leave us.”

“Y-Yes, of course!” They cleared out of the room immediately, as if given an order from the director.

“So, why are you here?”

Tesla turned back to Theodor. “It’s not every day some kid builds their own nuclear fusion reactor for a science fair. It’s not every day that kid turns out to be one of Uncle Johan’s descendants. I’m surprised he still has living descendants.”

There was something weird in how he said that last sentence.

“A bit late for that,” Theodor said, “My dad waited most of his life for help from the main branch. It never came.
Thea and I waited for you to show up for years.”

“My apologies. The company has been going through very challenging times since the war.” That didn’t assauge Theodor at all.

“Well, it’s fine,” Theodor said, “I got your attention with my sheer genius. Guess I do have the Founder’s genes.”

“It’s not good for a boy your age to lie like that.” Tesla’s voice suddenly became completely serious. “The principal gave me your entire academic record. I know something like that reactor is beyond your capabilities.”

“You’re wrong.” Theodor dug in, fearing what would happen if he conceded.

“Kid, I’ve been designing reactors since your dad was your age. Meanwhile, you have no idea how the water cycle works.”

Nobody was going to let that one go, huh?

“Then
who made that reactor? Thea?” Theodor laughed, trying to make that a joke.

“No other possibility,” Tesla said, “Unlike you, that girl’s got potential. I can tell. Maybe I should only adopt her.”

Theodor’s eyes widened. Adoption? By the main branch? By Wilhelm Tesla himself? With the chance of inheriting Tesla Dynamic? And it would all go to
Thea, while he continued languishing in the orphanage? No! He couldn’t allow it! But the CEO was a ruthless businessman. He would only do something that benefited himself. Then why…

“You need a successor,” Theodor deduced.

“I’m a scientist at heart,” Tesla said, “I dedicated my life to research, to the pursuit of knowledge above all else. As a result, I never had children of my own. I don’t trust anybody else from the main branch to take over
my company.”

“So when you heard about us, you decided we’d be the most suitable.” He had to shift the choice of words to include himself.

Tesla didn’t bite. “I decided
Thea would be most suitable. A little girl like her building a nuclear fusion reactor after reading several books? Reminds me a lot of my younger self.”

“Take me with you!” Theodor pleaded. “I’m her brother!”

“Trust me, I know too well how much a brother wants to protect their little sister,” Tesla said, “But I also know that if my Elisabeth had been chosen as the family head over me, I wouldn’t have accepted it, as much as I love her. I don’t want the same thing befalling Thea when she grows older.”

“And what about me? You’re just going to abandon an eleven-year-old boy? Your own blood?”

“Blood means nothing when faced with the overwhelming wealth and power the family and the company possess. You’ve heard many stories of people winning the lottery and their families immediately descending upon them like vultures, right? I can’t risk a civil war within the family, not again. It would jeopardize everything I’ve built.”

It was then that it dawned on Theodor. The reason why the payments to Johan’s descendants stopped. Why Reinhard Thiessen never got any help. Why the RAF found their house. Why Tesla never bothered to show up until today. “You wanted us gone. You wanted to eliminate us in case we challenged your rule. Like a despotic Mexica emperor.”

Tesla didn’t looked shocked or terrified. No, the billionaire wouldn’t be rattled easily. But a brief flash of surprise crossed his face. “Huh. I didn’t know you had it in you. Guess your grades don’t tell the whole story.”

“It was a matter of looking at your words and putting it together. I did it a lot in the orphanage. Got a way with reading people.” Theodor put all of his confidence into that statement. This was the only way he could move forward. “I know your secret now.”

“You’ve got no proof to back it up,” Tesla said.

“But if I were to approach the Athanatoi currently investigating my sister’s reactor, I know they’ll find something. Perhaps the off-the-books payments you were supposed to give my father. I’m sure you didn’t tell the RFA about them.” At this point he was just throwing everything at the wall. He was pretty sure none of this was going to work against the Reich’s most powerful capitalist, but he had nothing to lose now. All that mattered was not being separated from Thea. He didn’t want to be abandoned again. He didn’t want to remain in the orphanage. He knew that if he did, he would only be a leech. An equalist, though he still didn’t know what the word meant. “Let’s make a deal. I won’t expose you, and in exchange you’ll adopt me as well.”

Tesla laughed heartily. “You could use some work! First lesson of negotiation? Don’t play all of your cards at the beginning. Second lesson? Don’t make up random threats I know you can’t follow through on. But I like your spirit. I can see the makings of a great businessman in you.”

Theodor lit up. “Really?”

“Yes, yes, I see it now.” Tesla snapped his fingers. “I see what I was lacking in my youth. Elisabeth and Walter never had the talent for business that I did, yet like them I was always more interested in research than board meetings. But you two—” He pointed first at Theodor, then at the room where Thea slept. “—You two will be different. Thea will be the one dreaming of the future and propelling humanity forward, as I hoped to be. You, Theodor, will be the one who brings her inventions to market and continue Tesla Dynamic’s prosperity. Together, you will lead the company, our family, and humanity into the future.”

He placed a firm hand on Theodor’s shoulder. “There will be no need for threats today, kid. I will be adopting you along with your sister.”

“R-Really?!” Theodor couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“No longer will you be shuffled between orphanages like cards in a deck. No longer will teachers write you off as a failure. No longer will you need to hide behind the Thiessen name. Because you two will be Teslas of the main branch, as if you were my own flesh and blood. I will teach you everything I know,, and you will find your true calling.”

“Not long after that, he signed the papers and brought us to the main estate in Frankfurt, where he announced to the family that I was his heir. Then began my true education in the ways of business. Old Uncle Willy may have been a scientist at heart, but he was still a businessman, even if he lacked my natural talent. He taught me the fundamentals that have guided me ever since, while Thea excelled in her own studies. She got admitted to the Pandidakterion’s Von Neumann Department of Physics at 13.”

The Pandidakterion?” Parviz was shocked. “Isn’t that highly selective?”

“Extremely so,” Theodor said, “It helped I wrote a letter of recommendation and made a large donation to the university, because they don’t usually admit kids her age. I could’ve gotten admitted to the Tobias Wagner Department of Business at the same time, but by then I had already taken the reins of the company.”

The Pandidakterion never even considered his application on account of being “too young.”

“This would have been around the time Wilhelm Tesla died, correct?”

“Yes.”

Wilhelm Tesla lay in his coffin, dressed in one of the old 1980s business suits he so liked. It wasn’t his favorite suit—that one had been riddled with bullet holes, and the family didn’t need to see it. The other relatives would only see a plain look on his face, like he was lost in thought while asleep, but eighteen-year-old Theodor knew differently. There were hints of frustration and disappointment among the folds of his skin, and although his lips had been moved back into a neutral expression, they still showed a sign of regret.

The Athanatoi weren’t forthcoming with all of the details about Tesla’s death. Even though Theodor had called in as many favors and donated as much money to the right people as he was comfortable with wasting, Director Folger refused to divulge anything. According to the official government statement released to the public, Wilhelm Tesla had developed a god complex and came to believe humanity was irredeemable. He had amassed a massive stockpile of experimental biological weapons with the goal of exterminating humanity and “start over with a new Eden” in which he would rule as a god. The Athanatoi confronted him on a cargo ship he had made his bunker and was forced to shoot him when he attempted to use the weapons against them.

The problem? Theodor had never seen the biological weapons, which the Athanatoi had ordered immediately destroyed along with their research notes. Sure, Wilhelm Tesla may have had an ego and believed his rational science-focused mind above the irrational masses of humanity, but would he really go as far as calling for complete extinction? Something wasn’t adding up. There was also an oddity in the Athanatoi team that killed him: of the five members on the team, four of them had ties to either the Tesla family or Tesla Dynamic. Anna and Anders Humboldt were the children of Elisabeth Tesla—Uncle Willy’s younger sister—and Walter Humboldt—Tesla’s college friend and now the company’s head of research. Diana Frank, the niece of Tesla Dynamic executive Mina Schaefer, was married to Anders Humboldt; they had a son not much younger than Thea. Angela Hansen was Anders’ cousin on the Humboldt side. Did their so-called X-Division launch a hit on Uncle Willy because of some family dispute, just like Tesla had taken out Reinhard Thiessen and would have left Theodor and Thea to rot if not for the science fair?

As angry as he wanted to be, there was no use dwelling on X-Division’s motivations at the moment. They had become folk heroes among both the rank-and-file field agents and the general public, and their recent victories would give them the government’s full support, not to mention a larger budget. On the other hand, Tesla Dynamic was in its weakest position in decades. The company and the family had both been forced to disavow Wilhelm Tesla, and to satisfy the Kaiser they had to give the offices of CEO and chairman to non-Teslas, specifically Mina and Walter. But the office of president was Theodor’s, as a consolation prize. They thought he would be satisfied with that, but they were dead wrong. How could he be satisfied, seeing everything that he had rightfully earned be given to those who didn’t deserve it?

“Stupid equalists, taking what isn’t yours.” He still didn’t know what that word meant.

“Theo?” Thirteen-year-old Thea looked at him. “Did you say something?”

“Nothing that should concern you,” Theodor said, “We should be grieving today. Then returning to our work tomorrow.”

“Are you sure you can handle it yourself? Uncle Willy did say we needed to work together.”

“No, it’s fine.” Theodor patted Thea on the head. “Don’t you worry about the company, Thea. Things might be rough, but I’ve got it under control. You focus on your studies. I’ll take care of things in Frankfurt. That’s what Uncle Willy would have wanted.”

“Really?”

“How could I not for a little sister as great as you?” Theodor smiled. “And if anybody thinks they can take away the achievements we’ve earned?” He clenched a fist. “Well, I’ll destroy them.”

“Destroy…them?”

“I became president of the company at the age of 18. The rest of the board didn’t know what to make of me. They thought I was just a legacy hire who only got the job because of Uncle Willy and the need for a Tesla executive who didn’t actually have power. Well, I proved them wrong quickly. I had a dream to pursue, after all. You know the story from there.”

“Truly an inspiring story,” Parviz said, “You started with nothing, yet now billions speak the name Theodor Tesla with the respect it deserves.”

“Or fear,” Theodor said, “Which is fine. That means they know their place underneath me. I may have lost the company this year, but I haven’t given up yet. As long as I’m still breathing, I’ll endure and rebuild my career. Like I’m doing right now!”

They continued watching Josh’s surgery.

“It’s my hope that I can impart some of my business and scientific expertise on to those with talent, just as Uncle Willy did with me,” Theodor said, “As long as I can do that, I’ll be fine with losing Tesla Dynamic. I’ll even be fine with losing Thea. Because my legacy will live on.”

“I promise you, Persia will prosper as a result of your guidance,” Parviz said, “We’ll become the leaders of the world to come, and all will recognize your role in making it so.”

Theodor smiled. “Yes, that would be great.”

“But first, we must deal with the matter of the subverseive elements within our nation. We’ve already expelled the Roman refugees, but their sympathizers within the government remain, like the Seljuk dynasty and the opposition in the Majlis. They continue to leech off the hard work and effort of honest Persians, without giving anything in return. But I assure you, Theodor, your knowledge will surely help us destroy them and restore Persia to its full potential.”

“I know it will,” Theodor said, “Stupid equalists, taking what isn’t yours.”

He still didn’t know what that word meant.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Theodor is so close to being sympathetic, if only he wasn't morally bankrupt, beyond selfish and delusional.