• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very interesting political set up, reflective of the corporatist heritage of a more mexican California. Will we be seeing Emperor Norton on the throne?

You should ally with Texas and try to stop the US from achieving absolute domination on the continent.

Fulcrumvale- Santa Anna is in Texas (or he's just going into it), Alejandro del Serrano is in California acting on his behalf (for the time being). However, considering the relative wealth and importance of the two provinces (in-game that is), the President will probably be on his way to California any time soon, that plus the imminent events that bring about peace between Texas and Mexico. Besides, Santa Anna has an engagement to meet at Tijuana...

JimboIX- I'm more worried about the east than the south, at least if California weathers the initial Mexican storm. The current general plan (which is subject to change if the story goes in that direction) is to keep the Americans sweet and pursue Californian opportunities overseas- part of the reason I added a (pretty tiny) Californian navy.

Maximilliano- I'm quite pleased with the way it's turned out (considering the massive troubles I have with even the most basic modding of the game ;)). I'm particularly pleased with mixing Presidential Dictatorship with Parliamentarism- the only way I could really find to get a multi-party oligarchy going, and hopefully will provide good opportunities with the story. The Mexican element was something I definitely wanted- after watching (and loving) The Mask Of Zorro there was no way I could leave them out- the Dons are just too much fun!

And as to Emperor Norton, well he's one of those characters from Californian history like Zorro or William Randolph Hearst who'd I'd really want to work in because they'd be a lot of fun, but it depends where the story goes. Norton will probably get a cameo at least- he can occupy the "throne" to his heart's content without affecting the run of events- that's what he did in real life after all!

Jan Skrzetuski- I'd rather not ally with Texas and stop America dominating the continent, but you're right that that may be the only way (that and backing the CSA if and when it appears). As I said before I'm quite inclined to leave the American continent to the Americans and look elsewhere- model California on Britain or Japan... That does, of course, have the drawback that unlike either of those two California's not an island, so however many ships they have they can't stop America invading...

All others- well the view count's gone up by another 200 since yesterday, so I assume I'm doing something right! Hope you're all enjoying it, thanks to those that commented and to those that didn't/haven't- feel free!

Possibly an update tomorrow, but it depends whether I go out or not...

Cheers,
DerKaiser

San Francisco Town Hall, San Francisco, California, 7th March 1836

In a small ante-room, apart from the main assembly hall, the leaders of California were in conference with the soldier of Santa Anna.

“Alejandro,” argued the soldier’s brother, “you are a Californian! As much as I, or these gentlemen, or any of those soldiers you have brought with you! We are all Californians, it is madness to set one against the other!”

“Your loyalty, Don Alejandro,” added Don Rafael Montero, “is with your family, and your friends, and your people. We are your side, not Santa Anna. He is just another Mexican, he is not like you Don Alejandro. You and he are foreigners to each other. You are better than him.”

The argument had gone round in circles for almost an hour. Every one of the leaders of California, save one, had tried to persuade Don Alejandro, after his own fashion, of the justness of their cause. Alejandro’s brother, Diego, had invoked the ties of blood and family that they shared, and called upon his brother to fight for the del Serrano clan, if not for the notion of California. Don Rafael had attacked the name of Santa Anna, in the end no more than a bourgeois middle-class upstart, dismissing his ever having had the right to govern the Dons and people of California. Jose Castro and Matthew Paris had both made efforts to kindle in Don Alejandro’s heart some kind of revolutionary fervour- to impart their yearning for the abstract concepts of freedom, justice and liberty to him- with little success. Hector Montgomery, Treasurer of the Club, had pointed out that the Anglo-Saxon settlers had undertaken no agreement to serve Santa Anna and Mexico, and had decried the foolishness of adhering to his authority purely for the sake of it. Don Alejandro had rebuffed all with his entrenched values- loyalty, duty, honour, respect for authority, legitimacy- none of which he esteemed this venture as possessing. No counter-argument had influenced him to the extent that he was likely to disband his militia, still less to lead it in defence of the Republic, against Santa Anna.

Only one man had not spoken throughout the interview. Juan Bautista Alvarado had sat at the desk that the ante-room provided, watching the proceedings with contemplative eyes.

Alejandro began again: “No words and no justifications can make this wrong action right. You have subverted the laws of government and society, and you are standing against the rule of law and order. Nothing can justify this. It is against all concepts of honour, of duty, of principle!”

“Heavy terms, indeed.” Said a slow, measured voice, that seemed to consider every word it pronounced as it offered it up. “Honour, duty, principle. I wonder if you truly know of what you are talking, when you invoke such great gods.” It was Juan Bautista Alvarado, and as he began to speak he stood slowly.

“Because if the truth be known, Don Alejandro, I don’t think you do. Your brother here, and Don Rafael, and others, have called you an honourable man, a principled man, but I’m not sure you know what honour and principle are. You have ridden here, without rest, all the way from Tejas, at the behest of a man you had never met before, with a reputation for unconstitutional and despotic behaviour, in order to dissolve an assembly that he deemed unlawful. You have not questioned that order even once. You have not stopped to consider the order. In attempting to justify your presence here today, you have argued only that you have been presented with that order, which you must then enact. And this, in your mind, is honour. Because you are doing as you are told. Don Alejandro, I would like to ask you- but do not answer me yet- what you would have done, had General Santa Anna ordered you to raise an army and protect at all cost this Californian Republic. Would the republic then have been honourable to you? Don Alejandro, no man can dictate to you what honour is, what your duty is. Your duty is to what is right, not what is ordered, and that is honour, that is principle. Your judgements, Don Alejandro, should guide your principles, and not the other way around.”

“This meeting,” interjected the young soldier, though sounding now a lot less sure of himself, “is against the constitution of Mexico and against the laws of government and society. That you cannot change.”

“And so you will dissolve it by force.” Replied Alvarado, in a tone that made it seem as though he had never been interrupted- as though Alejandro’s voice had been his own. “Because the great Santa Anna has dictated such an order to you- the Californians may not meet according to the law of the land, so you must prevent them. Well Don Alejandro, if that is the case then there are many strange things afoot in the great Republic of Mexico. I find it odd that Santa Anna is passing judgement on the basis of a constitution that he himself has suspended, or that he is invoking laws that he himself has broken. Indeed I find it strange that he declares this assembly to be in revolt against a Republic that he himself has subverted. They tell me recently that that most excellent and just republican has called himself Dictator For Life, and that he has declared that there be no more need for subsequent Mexican elections. Do you understand the significance of this, Don Alejandro? There is no state of Mexico left, it is the state of General Antonio de Santa Anna. Do you still consider serving the laws of a state that no longer exists just? Do you still believe that for the whim of one man the spirit of an entire people should be crushed and broken? Do you not see that the more unconstitutional, the more unlawful, of us is not the Republic of California but the person of Santa Anna? If one of us is rebelling against justice, principle, honour, those concepts you so cherish- it is the great General, and not the assembly of San Francisco.”

There was a silence. Alejandro opened his mouth to reply, but closed it. He was trying hard, his mind racing, to think of something he could say to refute the eloquence of Alvarado, but for a whole minute, two, nothing came. “But…” he stuttered. “But there is…”

“Don Alejandro,” pronounced Alvarado, with the authoritative tone of someone who knows they have won, “if you are forced to try that hard to justify something, it is probably because you know it is unjustifiable.” Alejandro was silent. He glanced sidelong at his brother, who was watching him closely. “So then, take your 2,000 soldiers- an admirable feat to gather them- and defend what can be defended. Fight for what is truly right, not what you have been ordered is right. None of what your brother, or Don Rafael, or Senor Castro, Paris or Montogomery has tried to tell you has been false. Set what you have learned today against the whim of one man, one tyrant, and do what is right. I believe you know already where the honourable, the principled, course lies. Take it, Don Alejandro.”

“You are a Californian, Don Alejandro, not a Mexican.” Added Castro.

“You are a free man, Don Alejandro, not Santa Anna’s slave.” Added Paris.

“You belong with us here, brother. I always knew it, and I know it now.” Said Diego, and Alejandro felt unquestionably, his eyes fixed on Alvarado who stared back, that he knew it too.

p20.jpg

Juan Bautista Alvarado, Provisional Governor of the Californian Republic

A nice rallying cry. I somehow doubt Mexico will agree, you and Texas ought to get together on that- fortunately for you they'll have to beat Texas before they come after you ebcause of the way their army is set up, so you may be able to force a quick peace.

And so yet another ingredient is added to the californian stew.
(sorry, I'm a little hungry right now)

2000 men is still not much of an army to stand up against Santa Anna if he decides to come with a vengance.

Another beautifully written update! Senor Alvarado is truly a convincing speaker.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

JimboIX- Well I suppose it would be a fairly boring story if Mexico did agree... And we'll see soon enough what Santa Anna's response is- I was planning on following your advice but it didn't really work out...

Quirinus- You'd think so, wouldn't you ;)?

Kordo- Thanks! And Alvarado does talk a good game, but he has his faults as we will see later on in the story...

Fulcrumvale- I don't think there's really another option :D...

Jape- Well thanks a lot! I'm flattered! And Viva California indeed, and Long Live the Republic as well of course...

The rest- the view count has gone up another 200-300 since the last update, so I hope you're all enjoying it! As always, comments and feedback are welcome!

I will possibly update tonight, but I doubt it- tomorrow is more likely...

DerKaiser

Fantastic stuff!

One matter of concern though: is Mexican your primary culture? Otherwise, all your immigrants will turn into Yankees :D

I presume you'll be going after immigrants, that is. Afterall, its what California is best for!

I supose the the best choice for primary culture would be based upon whichever political party actually leads California through the revolution. That party would most likely see the largest increase in its size.

If it is an American party, then it is questionable how many mexicans would want to migrate to California. Thus most of the new pops sould be assimilated as yankees.

If it is a Mexican party, then it is safe to assume the new pops would be primarilly Mexicans looking for a better life under democracy as opposed the desptism of Santa Anna

Quirinus and Cinéad, the original primary culture was Yankee and Dixie, which I changed to Yankee, Dixie and Mexican (and am about to take out Dixie as there are no Dixie pops in the entire of California), partly because of the story I wanted to write, and partly because it seemed unfair as the majority of the population was Mexican- including several groups of Aristocrats...

In answer to your questions, I pretty much am planning to go for mass immigration to California, yes- it seems like the best way to go about things... One question though- to best reflect the envisaged political system, I set the government of California as a Presidential Dictatorship, but with Parliamentarism. If I have this system, plus more liberalised reforms, will that mean people will immigrate? Does it still count as a New World democratic paradise etc etc?

Oh and thanks for the compliment Cinéad! Hopefully an update today if I get things together in time...

Invasion Imminent

Extract from “Independence to Empire, A New History of the Californian Republic” (By Chris Carmack and Michael Connor, Berkeley University Press, published 2007)

It took less than a month for the scale of the imminent threat to the new Republic to become apparent. On March 18th, Santa Anna’s Mexican army was improbably crushed by the Texans under General Sam Houston at San Jacinto, and the Mexican Dictator himself captured by the rebel Texans. Two days later, the Treaty of Velasco confirmed Texan independence- on the premise that Santa Anna was simply more interested in subduing the comparatively larger and wealthier province of California than Texas, and Santa Anna was released. The Dictator, despite rapidly dissolving support from Mexico’s generals and politicians- in particular Valentin Farias and General Martin Cos- prepared to march west and quash the Californian rebellion- something his original response- the sending of Californian Don Alejandro del Serrano at the head of a small military force- had utterly failed to do.

In response, the Provisional Governor of the Republic- Juan Bautista Alvarado- accelerated his organisation of the nascent Californian Parliament, and formed his first Cabinet on March 22nd. Alvarado was declared the first President of the Republic, with Don Rafael Montero maintained as Chief of the Assembly. Alvarado’s friend and associate Jose Castro was appointed Minister of Home Affairs, Sir Roland Perry and Hector Montgomery (the Club’s chiefs) were appointed Minister of the Treasury and Minister of Trade respectively, Matthew Paris of the Californio Party became Minister of Foreign Affairs, Don Diego del Serrano was Minister of War, and his brother Don Alejandro was declared High Commander of the Californian Army, and English immigrant John Westlake High Commander of the Navy. Every single one of the appointments was, by and large, decided by Alvarado and a small group of California’s most important political leaders, and not by any kind of democratic process. Quite simply, democracy deferred where the survival of the nation was concerned.

The Only Plan

San Francisco Town Hall, San Francisco, California, March 23rd 1836

It was the same ante-room in which Don Alejandro had first confronted, and joined, the leaders of the Republic. In commemoration of rapidly-moving events, the chamber had been renamed the “Cabinet Room”, but in reality it was just as small, plain and dusty as ever it had been. And despite the urgency of the situation, the voice of Juan Bautista Alvarado had the same patient, measured tone.

“Caballeros, gentlemen, the situation we face is simple. General Santa Anna, the Dictator of Mexico, has concluded peace in Tejas, and is repairing the damage done to his army for an invasion of California. We have every reason to believe that at this moment he is marching upon this very assembly, as Don Alejandro tells us was his intention, by way of the Tijuana fort. The army that Santa Anna brings with him is likely to be some thirty thousand men, while our army consists of, at this time, two thousand soldiers.”

Don Rafael interrupted angrily. “Then this is the sole meaning of our meeting today? For you to tell us that all is lost?”

“All is lost, Don Rafael?” Repeated Alvarado, in a bewildered tone that suggested that the very notion was absurd.

“Well, that is plain.” Spat Montero. “When Santa Anna arrives with his army in San Francisco he will have us all butchered like cattle!”

“Ah,” replied Alvarado, “I can see how one might draw that conclusion. But have no fear, Don Rafael, because I see no reason that Santa Anna should ever reach as far as San Francisco.”

“Oh?” Sneered Montero. “Thirty thousand against two thousand. Our chance looks good, Senor Alvarado.”

“Our ‘chance’, Don Rafael, is indeed a good one, but numbers do not make it so. There can be no doubt that the Mexican army is larger than our own, but there Santa Anna’s advantage ends. I am no soldier, but I have spoken at length with Don Alejandro here, who is the finest soldier our country has, and have devised a plan to save even this situation.

You see, as our good friend the Duke of Wellington said, a conqueror is like a cannon-ball: he must continue. This rings truer for Santa Anna- a failed conqueror, a weakened dictator as he is. The support of the people and army of Mexico in his leadership is wavering, and Santa Anna is called upon to restore their faith with one, great victory- something for the Mexicans to cheer about. To defeat Mexico, we must only deny him that. The rest will occur without our intervention.

Furthermore, the state of the army of Mexico is deplorable at present. At San Jacinto the Mexican army was twice the size of the Texan forces, but it was still defeated. Before the end of the war in Texas, Santa Anna’s soldiers were demoralised, disillusioned and even rebellious. There is no reason to believe that a humiliation like the Velasco Treaty has improved their mood.

The plan, then, is this. Don Alejandro will proceed, with his two thousand soldiers, to the fort of Tijuana, garrison the town and augment the defences there. In the available time- it will probably take Santa Anna at least three weeks to bring his army to Tijuana, we in San Francisco will raise a second, larger, Californian army, and proceed to the, then strengthened, defences at Tijuana. When Santa Anna arrives, he will find not only that the fort is garrisoned against him, but that the army of California is much stronger and better entrenched than he had envisaged. Quite simply, we will present Santa Anna with a choice- to face a protracted and difficult campaign in California, or to take the opportunity to salvage his position in Mexico by accepting the existence of the Republic. There can be little doubt that he will take the latter option, surely.”

“But Presidente,” interjected Diego, “even if we all combined our forces and issue a general muster to California, in such a short space of time we could not hope to gather a force even close to the size of Santa Anna’s army.”

“I agree, Don Diego, it is quite impossible. But we do not need to outnumber Santa Anna. We need only to persuade him that an attack on the fort of Tijuana would be too costly a venture. Given his difficulties at the Alamo fort of which we have heard so much, and the fatigued and demoralised condition of the Mexican army at present, I estimate that it would not take more than seven or eight thousand men, well fortified at Tijuana, to persuade him thus.”

Diego nodded. The faces of the Cabinet members, even Don Rafael, showed no dissent. It was the best, the only, plan available, and on its success depended the future of California.

Cry "Havoc"...

My my, a truly bold plan, offer a war of attrition and hope Santa Anna is too afraid to engage or is deposed in the costly process...

Alvarado certainly has some big cojones on him ;)

On a geopolitical note, I wonder what effect a less aggressive Mexico will have on US expansion? After all no Santa Anna would mean no Mexican-American War like in OTL meaning no certain annexation of Texas and most certainly a free California means a far more difficult task in gaining a Pacific port. Perhaps a more jingoistic focus on wrenching the Oregon Territory from British grasps I wonder.

Great stuff DerKaiser.

Ambitious, I hope you pull it off- hopefully you can force something quick.

Dr. Gonzo said:
On a geopolitical note, I wonder what effect a less aggressive Mexico will have on US expansion? After all no Santa Anna would mean no Mexican-American War like in OTL meaning no certain annexation of Texas and most certainly a free California means a far more difficult task in gaining a Pacific port. Perhaps a more jingoistic focus on wrenching the Oregon Territory from British grasps I wonder.

Actually, I don't think it will play much differently than real life.

Remember Santa Anna was already out of power in 1845 when Texas and the US merged. The merger was at the request of Texas (not the US). This event forced the Mexican government to into a war they did not want in order to try and save face (not that that worked out for them). Santa Anna returned on the scene after the war had already started and was given back control in the hopes he could save Mexico. I see no reason at present why the same scenario couldn't be repeated.

The real question in my mind is what would be the US attitude towards California. The US will certainly feel they have achieved their manifest destiny by gaining the Oregon territory and thus reaching the Pacific, but will they be satisfied there?

However it plays out, it should be an interesting ride :D PErsonally I hope Santa Anna does attack the fort, it would make for a great story.

Fulcrumvale- Wait for it...

Dr. Gonzo- I think certainly in game terms it's a more risky plan than in real life- Santa Anna's actual grip on power in Mexico was never anything more than tenuous during any of his (seven!!!) terms in office.

And on an ahistorical Mexico- Santa Anna did indeed fall from power after the Texan debacle, so it's not so ahistorical if that happens here too. I shouldn't imagine it will affect Mexico's actions all that much (although Santa Anna will continue to play a part in the story, I'm sure of that).

The point you make about America's attitude is a good one, and indeed the US will play a big role (directly and indirectly) in shaping California's policy and future throughout the 19th century (though I don't want to let too much of what's going to happen later go yet...)

JimboIX- Well, at any rate things don't quite go to plan, as we shall see...

Quirinus- As mentioned above, I agree with the points you make. The attitudes and actions of America will certainly be more of a sticking point in California than those of Mexico. Not to say that Mexico is to become un-important, it certainly won't...

And as to your particular hope, well... wish granted!