• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Totally agree! All (well maybe 1-2 missed by mistake) new events are done with the philosophy of human player choosing which option to take and the AI choosing mostly (75% and up) the historical option. We have also eliminated some 1 choice "OK" options with at least 2 options. Two good examples:
  • "...tech team loses a skill.." - Instead of the "OK" button and taking you lost, you now have the option of funding the tech team so it doesn't lose any skill level. The funding can be done with money, energy, metal, rares, or supplies and is done on a sliding scale dependent upon how much IC the country has.
  • This one isn't so much about the one choice "OK" but, the same event popping up over and over. These are the "do you want to outlaw the XXXX party" events. When one selects yes, it sets a local flag on the country so that the event will not fire again.

I am glad to see that you are on the right direction. :)

But let me once again...repeat myself...over the decision system...

For me it has not so much to do with alternative or extra options...which surely is a good thing...

1. It has more to do with the ability to launch events at the time you think is best...The ability to surprise your opponent...with acting earlier or later than expected! If i play Germany...then my opponents should be uneasy ...trying to guess what my next move would be and when! We played so many predictable games...only waiting the same events to launch...at the same order...at the exact same dates! Really ...really...boring...and unrealistic!
  2. Then there are these...other decisions like investing in tech...or infrastructure...or anything else DH got...which i find also cool!
  3. Then I also want to point to the awesome and realistic DH mobilisation system! I totally disagree with AoD...manpower and mobilisation system...which is the original HoI approach...Every country should have a historical maximum manpower pool...which should be able to mobilise...under certain circumstances.

If you could make a DH like decision system...it would be great! This is something i cannot do myself!

As for the decisions...it is something that any modder can do himself!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Even if do not talk about the importance of the fact that some Events need to be triggered not immediately after their Conditions = TRUE, but would be in "standby mode" waiting when the Player deems it necessary to activate them...
I'm fairly certain we won't be seeing this in the 1.13 release due to how much is being done in the release. It's a good idea, just too much already in 1.13. We could push it into the 1.14 release. It's something I've wanted to do for some time. Imagine if Germany didn't evade Poland in September 1939, they could wait to build up their military (especially naval) a bit more before invading and it would keep the Allies guessing when WW2 would start. Currently, one can mod this in AoD by making the event persistent = yes and having an offset = X days. So if one doesn't accept attacking Poland on 1 September 1939, they select the "Not now, later" button/option.

The other points (numbers 1-4) I have no comment on since the team needs to review it and see what the other players think. Personally, I do like the slowing down of ships to conserve fuel/oil.

5. At least, you can eventually make a Music Player to switch music themes in any moment during the Game! :D
Music? AoD has music? I wouldn't know because I have the AoD music and sound set at zero. I stream my '60s - '80s music off my home servers. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I understood what was written correctly... do you mean getting ship with 1% MP and 100% strength? That's great! (altrough how is it technically possible) But if it means about getting warship with 1% MP and 1% Strength, then this is wrong. Because in reality the warship is transferred in good condition and does not need expensive and lengthy total repairs.

Is it possible to introduce universal mechanics so that all units received from other countries subtract the corresponding number of MP from the current MP pool of the recipient?
It's all about manpower. Here's a real life example:
The USA gives a destroyer to Mexico. The ship is fully operational, and the Mexican Navy either sends personnel to the USA to pick up the ship or the ship is delivered to a Mexican port. When the ship arrives in Mexico, do the US Navy personnel stay with the ship and become members of the Mexican Navy? No.​

The issue, that AoD currently has now, is the USA personnel (manpower) stays with the ship in Mexico and the USA personnel (manpower) stays in the USA also. The result is that Mexico gets the ship and the personnel (manpower) to man it.

The fix gives the ship to Mexico, 99% of the USA personnel (manpower) that was on the ship will remain in the USA, and the 1% that remains on the ship in Mexico keeps the ship manned with a skeleton (small) crew for maintenance until Mexico can man the ship (reinforce it with manpower). The ship is being manned, not repaired.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It has more to do with the ability to launch events at the time you think is best...The ability to surprise your opponent...with acting earlier or later than expected! If i play Germany...then my opponents should be uneasy ...trying to guess what my next move would be and when! We played so many predictable games...only waiting the same events to launch...at the same order...at the exact same dates! Really ...really...boring...and unrealistic!
I believed I've addressed this issue in my response to Nick above. Let me know if it isn't the same issue. Thanks

2. Then there are these...other decisions like investing in tech...or infrastructure...or anything else DH got...which i find also cool!
3. Then I also want to point to the awesome and realistic DH mobilisation system! I totally disagree with AoD...manpower and mobilisation system...which is the original HoI approach...Every country should have a historical maximum manpower pool...which should be able to mobilise...under certain circumstances.
2. In the 1.13 release we do have random events that can modify a province you control by adding more energy, metal, rare, and oil to that province. This is a new or increase resource for that province, not XXX amount of a resource dumped into the resource pool. Since supplies are not a resource attached to a province, the random event for it does dump 500 supplies to the supply resource pool.

Infrastructure and technology investments, in the 1.13 release, are handled by the new technologies that:
  • Will give provinces, like the random events I mention above, more energy, metal, rare, and oil to a random controlled province.
  • Modify the infrastructure, research time, and build times of units
The Decisions logic is scheduled for the 1.14 release.

3. I was working on a mobilization system for my mod before joining the release team. It's based on worldwide populations in 1939-1940. Each country has a maximum amount of manpower based on the percentage of their population over 18 year olds. The initial manpower available to a nation would be the 18-40 year old males, then additional influx of the population by 18-40 year old females, 41 and up males, 41 up females, and lastly 14-17 year old males and females.

These age groups would be "released" upon the player being asked if they would like to release XX age group. Release of any age (after the initial manpower, 18-40 year old males) would incur dissent (and possibly other circumstances). The release of the 18-40 year old female group would have a very minimal impact but the other 3 age groups would incur harsher penalties.

• 2Like
Reactions:
2. In the 1.13 release we do have random events that can modify a province you control by adding more energy, metal, rare, and oil to that province. This is a new or increase resource for that province, not XXX amount of a resource dumped into the resource pool. Since supplies are not a resource attached to a province, the random event for it does dump 500 supplies to the supply resource pool.

Infrastructure and technology investments, in the 1.13 release, are handled by the new technologies that:
  • Will give provinces, like the random events I mention above, more energy, metal, rare, and oil to a random controlled province.
  • Modify the infrastructure, research time, and build times of units
The Decisions logic is scheduled for the 1.14 release.

3. I was working on a mobilization system for my mod before joining the release team. It's based on worldwide populations in 1939-1940. Each country has a maximum amount of manpower based on the percentage of their population over 18 year olds. The initial manpower available to a nation would be the 18-40 year old males, then additional influx of the population by 18-40 year old females, 41 and up males, 41 up females, and lastly 14-17 year old males and females.

These age groups would be "released" upon the player being asked if they would like to release XX age group. Release of any age (after the initial manpower, 18-40 year old males) would incur dissent (and possibly other circumstances). The release of the 18-40 year old female group would have a very minimal impact but the other 3 age groups would incur harsher penalties.
Thank you for reply! Cant wait for both updates!

The other points (numbers 1-4) I have no comment on since the team needs to review it and see what the other players think. Personally, I do like the slowing down of ships to conserve fuel/oil.
I don't mean mandatory adding these On/Off Events to vanilla AoD.
I just give some examples (to those people who may doubt in the usefulness of Decision mechanics) of what kind of "On/Off" things casual modders can make if the game has Decision mechanics.
It is even not necessary to give fish to players. Hard-coder can give them fishing rod so they can fishing themselves.

The fix gives the ship to Mexico, 99% of the USA personnel (manpower) that was on the ship will remain in the USA, and the 1% that remains on the ship in Mexico keeps the ship manned with a skeleton (small) crew for maintenance until Mexico can man the ship (reinforce it with manpower). The ship is being manned, not repaired.

You deftly evading of direct answer about how many HP a warship received by Mexico will have? :D So I can only to make assumptions about it.

As far as I understand it, there are no separate replenishment of Strength (Hit Points) and MP in Hoi2/AoD mechanics.
Therefore, I suspect that you mean that Mexico will receive a warship with 1% Strength (in order for Mexico to receive only 1% MP).
But I am absolutely convinced that in Hoi2 mechanics, a warship with 1% Strength is not a "warship without a crew", but it is kind of USS California and USS West Virginia after December 7, 1941 - totally damaged warships, but still making sense to be restored from current ruins.

Yes, I am ready to agree that a warship without a crew can look like 95% of the Strength. But not 1%!
Therefore, I consider the vanilla Hoi2/AoD/DH mechanics, when the warship is transferred to Mexico in a completely undamaged form, to be realistic and correct.

Yes, I understand the essence of the problem that Steve is writing about. But it is necessary to solve this problem not by "bombing" the warship, bringing it to 1% of Strength, but by subtracting MP from one of the trading-sides when unit is transferring.

In DH, this MP is automatically deducted from the Mexico' MP-pool (from the side that gets the ship), and USA gets this MP in the MP-pool. That's true way.

Last edited:
I just give some examples (to those people who may doubt in the usefulness of Decision mechanics) of what kind of "On/Off" things casual modders can make if the game has Decision mechanics.
It is even not necessary to give fish to players. Hard-coder can give them fishing rod so they can fishing themselves.

You deftly evading of direct answer about how many HP a warship received by Mexico will have? :D So I can only to make assumptions about it.

As far as I understand it, there are no separate replenishment of Strength (Hit Points) and MP in Hoi2/AoD mechanics.
Therefore, I suspect that you mean that Mexico will receive a warship with 1% Strength (in order for Mexico to receive only 1% MP).
But I am absolutely convinced that in Hoi2 mechanics, a warship with 1% Strength is not a "warship without a crew", but it is kind of USS California and USS West Virginia after December 7, 1941 - totally damaged warships, but still making sense to be restored from current ruins.

Yes, I am ready to agree that a warship without a crew can look like 95% of the Strength. But not 1%!
Therefore, I consider the vanilla Hoi2/AoD/DH mechanics, when the warship is transferred to Mexico in a completely undamaged form, to be realistic and correct.

Yes, I understand the essence of the problem that Steve is writing about. But it is necessary to solve this problem not by "bombing" the warship, bringing it to 1% of Strength, but by subtracting MP from one of the trading-sides when unit is transferring.

In DH, this MP is automatically deducted from the Mexico' MP-pool (from the side that gets the ship), and USA gets this MP in the MP-pool. That's true way.
Ah, I see your problem. You're focused on the wrong thing, strength. It's the Organization bar that the Reinforcement slider affects which is affected by Manpower resource. So Mexico gets a ship that they have to man/crew. There's no damage or anything wrong on the ship, other than no people on board. So the ship Mexico receives has strength, but the organization is low (which in AOD means manpower/crew).

Reactions:

Are you referring to me here as I don't think I've mentioned anything on this discussion about transferring warships? Although I agree with the comments that allowing the duplication of MP as currently occurring is a problem.

Checking back my last comment was raising concerns about allowing transfer of 'technology' which actually effectively means transferring of production facilities. The current system of transferring blueprints works fine as far as I'm concerned. The following research is possibly more accurately described as setting up the production capacity in terms of the necessary manufacturing tools, assembly lines and that sort of thing. If you think about in real life when a country sends blueprints or other design information to another country that country can't start producing the new equipment immediately. They need to take the plans and see what equipment they need and where their going to get and how to convert the new plans to their own facilities and equipment.

Steve

Although I agree with the comments that allowing the duplication of MP as currently occurring is a problem.
Ah, yes, sorry, I was mistaken, *facepalm*. It was James.

Well, as I was explained, in AoD, MP-damage is applied not on the strip of Strength (as in Hoi2), but on the strip of Organization, so I was in vain afraid for the integrity of the waship with 1% MP.
Now I have somehow to grasp this absolutely sensational (for me) information about such original concept of Organization/MP. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
The following research is possibly more accurately described as setting up the production capacity in terms of the necessary manufacturing tools, assembly lines and that sort of thing. If you think about in real life when a country sends blueprints or other design information to another country that country can't start producing the new equipment immediately. They need to take the plans and see what equipment they need and where their going to get and how to convert the new plans to their own facilities and equipment.
Without throw in a bunch of code, we could just add a "waiting period" whenever a country is receives the technology (fully researched). So instead of getting a blueprint and having to research the technology, they would still get the fully research technology, but the "waiting period" would be added to increase the normal retooling time that equipment go through when first starting a production run. After the "waiting period" is over, then the player could build the new equipment. If the technology isn't for equipment but some sort of effect or modifier, the "waiting period" would still occur then the effects and/or modifiers would kick in/start.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am so glad to read all of this!
Regarding the blueprint system, I am great fan of this. I think players can already edit the speed of research that is boosted by blueprints, if people think it isn't fast enough. Otherwise I think it's too open to exploit, and puppet states becoming even stronger then they already are.

Reactions:
Dear team behind upcoming 1.13 patch,

Firstly, I want to thank you so much for this new breath of fresh air, you are going to input to this awesome game! All teasers and info I've seen is really making me further dreaming about how would I utilize these new cool features in upcoming plays! Just stunning! Good luck with all your efforts!

Frankly speaking, I have some questions/wishes regarding 1.14 and further development. I've searched through Iron Cross forum, and found that cool topic with all new features, the developers there have been implementing for original HoI 2 as part of expansion. I think, you've also seen this, but I'll give a link: Thread

Personally, my favourites are:
- blocking a port by enemy ships
- production of units costs additional money
- supply depot limit by port size
- radar bonus for nerby provinces
- shipyards capacity limits new ships construction

Can some of those features be ported to AoD in future? Have you thought about any of those in your team?

Thanks in advance

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
- blocking a port by enemy ships
- production of units costs additional money
- supply depot limit by port size
- radar bonus for nerby provinces
- shipyards capacity limits new ships construction
There are a few things I personally (not the research team) like and others I don't care for that Iron Cross is doing. I'll address the ones you mention first then I'll address some of the other ones that I think we should use/change:
  • Blocking a port - I'm not a huge fan of this since the way they are doing it. All you have to do is send a fleet to the sea province next to the port and you have total control of the port. No more having to conduct convoy raiding. In AoD, I've been able to starve out islands in the Pacific and even the UK with just using convoy raiding. I might be wrong (and correct me if I am), but from what I've read their port blocking has issues:
    • All the blocking fleet needs to do is just sit outside the port and immediately the port is blocked, disrupting all trade/supply logic to that port. So now the country that has its port being blocked, can't rebase a fleet there.
    • I hope that if there is a fleet in the port, that the port blocking doesn't occur immediately. IRL if a port is blocked and a fleet is in port, they should have the ability to come out, engage the enemy, and only if they lose, should the port blocking start.
    • I didn't see any minimum size that fleet needs to be to block a port. So a fleet that has only 1 destroyer can block it. With convoy raiding, there are many factors that determine the fleet's success against convoys, and the number of ships is just one.
    • Why not just keep the convoy raiding? One can still shut down the port by just selecting a fleet, select Convoy Raiding, then select province (instead of area or region) and now one has set up a port blockade.
  • Production cost money - You're already paying to producing infrastructure, units, etc. with IC manpower:
    • Each unit has Cost parameter it uses to produce that item/unit
    • When researching a unit, you're using IC, specifically Consumer Goods. Consumer Goods is the slider that makes/creates money for your nation
    • When producing a unit, infrastructure, etc., again you're using more IC (Production slider)
    • And now that same unit, infrastructure, etc. that had to use IC for research, IC for cost (Consumer Goods), and IC for Production, now has to use money also?
  • Supply depot limited by port size - This is a good idea. We're already going to change the province.csv by adding a Port Capacity column and it also has an Air Capacity column. A simple formula based upon port size will do it.
  • Radar bonus for nearby provinces - Not sure about this one since provinces are all different sizes. Let's say that each province with a radar can affect each province that connects to them. You now have a large province covering a 30 km front and each connecting province (which one or more of those are a large province itself) with a huge advantage over a province covering a 10 km front. The radar logic, in AoD, does need to be improved but also keep it fair between the provinces. Here is an idea:
    • We can disregard the province size since the map will be changing.
    • Once a province reaches 3 or more radar stations, then that province's radar can start affecting the provinces near it.
    • Each province radar station over 2, would increase the adjacent province's AA effectiveness by XX percentage.
  • Port size limit shipbuilding capacity - I like the idea of limiting shipbuilding but not as iron cross does it (Shipyards calculation -> (national ports size)*1.2 + (non-national ports size)*0.2). I think there's a better way to handle it:
    • We create a new province asset. We have ports, land forts, coastal forts, airports, AA, radar, etc. for a province, why not have a Shipyard asset?
    • Each shipyard will have the ability to build XX ship tonnage.
    • We add a new parameter (tonnage or displacement) to every naval vessel.
    • One could still "start" a production of a ship, meaning it makes it into the production queue, but in addition to enough Production IC allocated, it would also need enough free shipyard tonnage availability. If there is some free shipyard availability but not enough to fully support the tonnage of the ship being built, then its production will continue at a slower percentage (similar to how any unit being produced now that doesn't have full funding/production).
Some of these I like, others I would like with changes, and even others I don't like because I think they are just unnecessary overhead added to something that already works.

The other iron cross extras we should, at least, look into:
  • Block Supply Depots - If AoD is automatically moving supply depots and it's a concern to players, then we should look at doing something similar. I would implement a Lock Supply Depot option on the Province pop-up menu.
  • Besieged Capital - This is something we should look at since surrounding an enemy capital without taking it and letting the enemy units shrivel up and die, is exploiting the game a bit too much. I would use the same logic as they do but also add a penalty to the country, or countries if they are allied and control a province(s) that is besieging the enemy capital.
  • Allied Convoys - Allied countries should be able to set up supply depots (which the convoys will supply) for any allied nation.
  • Dismantling constructions - I like this idea. Instead, of the Scorched Earth button on a unit blowing up/tearing down all province buildings, you would be able to select which ones you want to blow up/tear down.
  • Export/import and team skill - The title is a bit misleading and should be called Tech Teams conducting research can increase the team's skill level. We could come up with some formula that utilizes the current tech team's level, the combined technology's components difficulty, and the numbers of days (when fully funded) that it took to research the technology. The tech team's skill level wouldn't increase until after the technology has been researched. Also, we would want to modify the tech team skill level to be able to use decimal (C++ double or float) numbers instead of whole numbers.
None of the others I think we should do.

Then there are things I think would be nice to add to AoD:
  • Tech Teams Locations - Some tech teams are individuals but many are companies, corporations, or province dependent teams. These types of teams should be linked to the provinces they operate out of. Think of how the Soviets had to relocate their factories during Germany's advance, tank production factories, shipyards, etc. or the factories that Germany used in occupied territories (like tank production in Prague).
    • A tech team that is one of these types have a percentage to become a tech team for the occupier. This percentage could be affected by the occupier's government type and ministers.
    • If it does become a tech team for the occupier then again the government type and minister along with a new parameter/modifier called assimilatedteammodifier or occupiedteammodifier would modify the occupied team's skill level.
  • River Crossing difficulty - Currently there already exists river crossing but they are all set to 100. We need to edit the difficulties.
  • Build/fund infrastructure in an allied country - Just as it says, the ability for an allied nation to build infrastructure in another allied nation's provinces. Think of Germany, Japan, and others after WW2 and the different Allied plans to help these countries recover.
  • Fortification Directions - The coastal fortifications only work as a multiplier against forces attacking from the sea but land fortifications have 360 degree multiplier. The Maginot line only pointed towards Germany, not France, but it has 360 degree protection/modifier.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
There are a few things I personally (not the research team) like and others I don't care for that Iron Cross is doing. I'll address the ones you mention first then I'll address some of the other ones that I think we should use/change:
  • Blocking a port - I'm not a huge fan of this since the way they are doing it. All you have to do is send a fleet to the sea province next to the port and you have total control of the port. No more having to conduct convoy raiding. In AoD, I've been able to starve out islands in the Pacific and even the UK with just using convoy raiding. I might be wrong (and correct me if I am), but from what I've read their port blocking has issues:
    • All the blocking fleet needs to do is just sit outside the port and immediately the port is blocked, disrupting all trade/supply logic to that port. So now the country that has its port being blocked, can't rebase a fleet there.
    • I hope that if there is a fleet in the port, that the port blocking doesn't occur immediately. IRL if a port is blocked and a fleet is in port, they should have the ability to come out, engage the enemy, and only if they lose, should the port blocking start.
    • I didn't see any minimum size that fleet needs to be to block a port. So a fleet that has only 1 destroyer can block it. With convoy raiding, there are many factors that determine the fleet's success against convoys, and the number of ships is just one.
    • Why not just keep the convoy raiding? One can still shut down the port by just selecting a fleet, select Convoy Raiding, then select province (instead of area or region) and now one has set up a port blockade.
  • Production cost money - You're already paying to producing infrastructure, units, etc. with IC manpower:
    • When researching a unit, you're using IC, specifically Consumer Goods. Consumer Goods is the slider that makes/creates money for your nation
    • When producing a unit, infrastructure, etc., again you're using more IC (Production slider)
    • And now that same unit, infrastructure, etc. that had to use IC for research, IC for cost (Consumer Goods), and IC for Production, now has to use money also?
  • Supply depot limited by port size - This is a good idea. We're already going to change the province.csv by adding a Port Capacity column and it also has an Air Capacity column. A simple formula based upon port size will do it.
  • Radar bonus for nearby provinces - Not sure about this one since provinces are all different sizes. Let's say that each province with a radar can affect each province that connects to them. You now have a large province covering a 30 km front and each connecting province (which one or more of those are a large province itself) with a huge advantage over a province covering a 10 km front. The radar logic, in AoD, does need to be improved but also keep it fair between the provinces. Here is an idea:
    • Once a province reaches 3 or more radar stations, then that province's radar can start affecting the provinces near it.
    • Each province radar station over 2, would increase the adjacent province's AA effectiveness by XX percentage.
  • Port size limit shipbuilding capacity - I like the idea of limiting shipbuilding but not as iron cross does it (Shipyards calculation -> (national ports size)*1.2 + (non-national ports size)*0.2). I think there's a better way to handle it:
    • We create a new province asset. We have ports, land forts, coastal forts, airports, AA, radar, etc. for a province, why not have a Shipyard asset?
    • One could still "start" a production of a ship, meaning it makes it into the production queue, but in addition to enough Production IC allocated, it would also need enough free shipyard tonnage availability. If there is some free shipyard availability but not enough to fully support the tonnage of the ship being built, then its production will continue at a slower percentage (similar to how any unit being produced now that doesn't have full funding/production).
Some of these I like, others I would like with changes, and even others I don't like because I think they are just unnecessary overhead added to something that already works.

The other iron cross extras we should, at least, look into:
  • Block Supply Depots - If AoD is automatically moving supply depots and it's a concern to players, then we should look at doing something similar. I would implement a Lock Supply Depot option on the Province pop-up menu.
  • Besieged Capital - This is something we should look at since surrounding an enemy capital without taking it and letting the enemy units shrivel up and die, is exploiting the game a bit too much. I would use the same logic as they do but also add a penalty to the country, or countries if they are allied and control a province(s) that is besieging the enemy capital.
  • Allied Convoys - Allied countries should be able to set up supply depots (which the convoys will supply) for any allied nation.
  • Dismantling constructions - I like this idea. Instead, of the Scorched Earth button on a unit blowing up/tearing down all province buildings, you would be able to select which ones you want to blow up/tear down.
  • Export/import and team skill - The title is a bit misleading and should be called Tech Teams conducting research can increase the team's skill level. We could come up with some formula that utilizes the current tech team's level, the combined technology's components difficulty, and the numbers of days (when fully funded) that it took to research the technology. The tech team's skill level wouldn't increase until after the technology has been researched. Also, we would want to modify the tech team skill level to be able to use decimal (C++ double or float) numbers instead of whole numbers.
None of the others I think we should do.

Then there are things I think would be nice to add to AoD:
  • Tech Teams Locations - Some tech teams are individuals but many are companies, corporations, or province dependent teams. These types of teams should be linked to the provinces they operate out of. Think of how the Soviets had to relocate their factories during Germany's advance, tank production factories, shipyards, etc. or the factories that Germany used in occupied territories (like tank production in Prague).
    • A tech team that is one of these types have a percentage to become a tech team for the occupier. This percentage could be affected by the occupier's government type and ministers.
    • If it does become a tech team for the occupier then again the government type and minister along with a new parameter/modifier called assimilatedteammodifier or occupiedteammodifier would modify the occupied team's skill level.
  • River Crossing difficulty - Currently there already exists river crossing but they are all set to 100. We need to edit the difficulties.
  • Build/fund infrastructure in an allied country - Just as it says, the ability for an allied nation to build infrastructure in another allied nation's provinces. Think of Germany, Japan, and others after WW2 and the different Allied plans to help these countries recover.
  • Fortification Directions - The coastal fortifications only work as a multiplier against forces attacking from the sea but land fortifications have 360 degree multiplier. The Maginot line only pointed towards Germany, not France, but it has 360 degree protection/modifier.
Dear Czarina Julie, thank you so much for your wide and comprehensive reply.

May I add some more points regarding Iron Cross functionality we both mentioned before.

Regarding Blocking a port:
Blocking a port - I'm not a huge fan of this since the way they are doing it. All you have to do is send a fleet to the sea province next to the port and you have total control of the port. No more having to conduct convoy raiding. In AoD, I've been able to starve out islands in the Pacific and even the UK with just using convoy raiding. I might be wrong (and correct me if I am), but from what I've read their port blocking has issues:
Now I completely agree with you - more complicated current AoD system works better and more realistic.

Regarding Production costs money:
Production cost money - You're already paying to producing infrastructure, units, etc. with IC manpower:
What you are saying seems right. It's just my personal opinion that such addition would be ok to use if not in the game scenario, that for some mods by community.

Regarding Supply depot limited by port size:
Supply depot limited by port size - This is a good idea. We're already going to change the province.csv by adding a Port Capacity column and it also has an Air Capacity column. A simple formula based upon port size will do it.
Thanks for sharing more info on Province Capacities feature.
Can you, please, clarify, if those new stats would limit the max amount of air divisions and ships in corresponding province too?
If yes, could we have some kind of this capacity limit for land units as well? Perhaps, based on total manpower division has multiplied on its softness?

Regarding Radar bonus for nearby provinces:
Radar bonus for nearby provinces - Not sure about this one since provinces are all different sizes. Let's say that each province with a radar can affect each province that connects to them. You now have a large province covering a 30 km front and each connecting province (which one or more of those are a large province itself) with a huge advantage over a province covering a 10 km front. The radar logic, in AoD, does need to be improved but also keep it fair between the provinces. Here is an idea:
Your points are clear, and your proposed variant of its implementation is very promising, TBH.

Regarding Port size limit shipbuilding capacity:
Port size limit shipbuilding capacity - I like the idea of limiting shipbuilding but not as iron cross does it (Shipyards calculation -> (national ports size)*1.2 + (non-national ports size)*0.2). I think there's a better way to handle it:
Completely agree with your comments on need to re-implement the current IC implementation of it, and your proposed variant is really great!
But I have to clarify 1 moment in this regard:
For example, you have 3 Shipyards (as a separate building in provinces, with max level of building at 10), each have ability to build 100 000 tons, so total capacity is 300 000 tons.
Currently you have ships with total tonnage of 240 000 tons. So, you can build (without some penalties) only 60 000 tons of ships.
Do I understand your concept right?

Once more, thanks for extending your reply with not only features, mentioned by myself, but others too.

Regarding Block supply depots:
Block Supply Depots - If AoD is automatically moving supply depots and it's a concern to players, then we should look at doing something similar. I would implement a Lock Supply Depot option on the Province pop-up menu.
"Lock depot" Button seems ok.
Other way could be a "Supply depot" building, which can be build in rather quick time (10-20 days) and then be stored with ongoing supplies.
This way, we could prepare invasions with depots nearby the upcoming battles and even on already captured lands.
This "Supply depot" building could be bombed/destroyed by land units pretty quickly.

Regarding Besieged capital:
Besieged Capital - This is something we should look at since surrounding an enemy capital without taking it and letting the enemy units shrivel up and die, is exploiting the game a bit too much. I would use the same logic as they do but also add a penalty to the country, or countries if they are allied and control a province(s) that is besieging the enemy capital.
Your logic with additional penalties seems good. Also, while implementing either "Locked depots" or "Supply depot" buildings, it should give more time for besieged country to make a counter-offensive and free the capital.

Regarding Allied convoys:
Allied Convoys - Allied countries should be able to set up supply depots (which the convoys will supply) for any allied nation.
Totally agree, thanks for let me remember this one.

Regarding Dismantling buildings:
Dismantling constructions - I like this idea. Instead, of the Scorched Earth button on a unit blowing up/tearing down all province buildings, you would be able to select which ones you want to blow up/tear down.
Totally agree, thanks for let me remember this one, too.
Have 1 question on this: will the player receive some resources back? Like, some supplies from dismantled air base, ports, ic etc., which were left there but could be used later. I am talking about really small number - 10/20 for example.

Regarding Tech team skills:
Export/import and team skill - The title is a bit misleading and should be called Tech Teams conducting research can increase the team's skill level. We could come up with some formula that utilizes the current tech team's level, the combined technology's components difficulty, and the numbers of days (when fully funded) that it took to research the technology. The tech team's skill level wouldn't increase until after the technology has been researched. Also, we would want to modify the tech team skill level to be able to use decimal (C++ double or float) numbers instead of whole numbers.
Your proposed calculation, that includes components difficulty and days spent with full funds sounds great to me.

As for your own proposed things - oh, my - those are really great!

Regarding Tech teams locations:
Tech Teams Locations - Some tech teams are individuals but many are companies, corporations, or province dependent teams. These types of teams should be linked to the provinces they operate out of. Think of how the Soviets had to relocate their factories during Germany's advance, tank production factories, shipyards, etc. or the factories that Germany used in occupied territories (like tank production in Prague).
I thought about something like that before.
Relocation for further rebuild in other place (or capture for further use by country who capture) of industries (and their respective research facilities) was a huge part of WW2 period.
As I understand, currently such thing could be implemented via an event: if this province is captured by this country, then remove this tech team from first country and give to second country (or just remove).
Providing these new parameters for province link of tech teams and modifiers for occupying resistance of tech teams would be a great addition to AoD.

Regarding River crossing difficulty:
River Crossing difficulty - Currently there already exists river crossing but they are all set to 100. We need to edit the difficulties.
Great addition, for sure!
This way rivers width or difficult beaches could be simulated.
May I propose (I suppose, you thought about it also) that engineer attachments would provide reduction to this difficulty? Also, Air-Mobile and Airborne divisions would not have penalties here (or greatly reduced), and Marines will have only small penalty, as well.

Regarding Build infrastructure in allied country:
Build/fund infrastructure in an allied country - Just as it says, the ability for an allied nation to build infrastructure in another allied nation's provinces. Think of Germany, Japan, and others after WW2 and the different Allied plans to help these countries recover.
Yes, for sure - what a great addition it would be!
Also, air bases, radars and stationery AA are for sure to be added to this list, in my opinion.

Regarding Fortification directions:
Fortification Directions - The coastal fortifications only work as a multiplier against forces attacking from the sea but land fortifications have 360 degree multiplier. The Maginot line only pointed towards Germany, not France, but it has 360 degree protection/modifier.
I have never heard of this kind of possibility in any HoI-based game. But it's such a simple, rather fundamental issue in land combat.
I even don't have any idea, how this can be implemented (in code and in interface). Hope you have some thoughts on it.

I am sorry for such a long reply, but I am really excited for upcoming improvements AoD is going to take, and I think, that more wishes/propositions the developers will get, the better AoD will become.

Thank you once more for all your efforts!

CJ

On the direction of defence for land forts how would you implement that please? For instance while a coastal fort will only defend against sea attacks they will defend against all sea invasions regardless of how many sea provinces the attack comes from or the land province borders. With land provinces they can border quite a number of provinces so if its say when a fort is built the owner has to say its protecting against attacks from neighbouring province X but not Y or Z then it could get quite complex as well as expensive. You might need to reduce costs and/or constriction time for forts in that position. Although it would have the advantage that an enemy occupying such a province and rebuilding the forts wouldn't automatically be able to use them against a counter attack from the original owner.

The other option might be defending against say the 4 cardinal points - north, east, south and west but then it would need a setting of the relationships between all provinces as to which of those directions is applicable for the two provinces. Plus it would need to be readable by the ordinary player so if one province borders another on say the north and west they know whether a fort would be built in the direction they actually require.

Presumably your already thought about this but it does seem a point that would need clarifying with directional fort defences.

Thanks

Steve

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for sharing more info on Province Capacities feature.
Can you, please, clarify, if those new stats would limit the max amount of air divisions and ships in corresponding province too?
If yes, could we have some kind of this capacity limit for land units as well? Perhaps, based on total manpower division has multiplied on its softness?
What has been discussed before is adding another column, unit capacity, that would impose penalties for too many land units in provinces. So no more Gibraltar with 10 divisions. The province.csv file will now have 2 additional columns, unitcapacity and portcapacity. We're still open on how to do it. I think there's only 2 options:
  • Once the capacity (air, unit, port) is reached, no other unit/plane/ship can enter the province. The issue with this option are units that are just moving through the province. You'll have to either go around the province or move units in the province out of the way. It could be coded around to see if the unit entering the province is just moving onto another province, buy why since the second option is much better. One could easily cheat the system by having a unit(s) move back and forth through the province, adding combat strength to the province that has reached its capacity. And then we have how the retreats (oops, retrograde operations :) ) logic currently works.
  • The better solution would be to impose a penalty(ies). There are many ways to do this:
    • A penalty applied daily to each unit in the province. Again, there are many penalties that could be use but if we penalize each unit (except for units moving through it) in the province, I would like to see where each unit's organization and strength are reduced a bit.
    • A province penalty. We could reduce the infrastructure.
    • etc.
Completely agree with your comments on need to re-implement the current IC implementation of it, and your proposed variant is really great!
But I have to clarify 1 moment in this regard:
For example, you have 3 Shipyards (as a separate building in provinces, with max level of building at 10), each have ability to build 100 000 tons, so total capacity is 300 000 tons.
Currently you have ships with total tonnage of 240 000 tons. So, you can build (without some penalties) only 60 000 tons of ships.
Do I understand your concept right?
You are correct. In your scenario, one could still start producing a ship that has 100,000 tons, but it would only progress at 60% since the "free" tonnage available is only 60,000.

"Lock depot" Button seems ok.
Other way could be a "Supply depot" building, which can be build in rather quick time (10-20 days) and then be stored with ongoing supplies.
This way, we could prepare invasions with depots nearby the upcoming battles and even on already captured lands.
This "Supply depot" building could be bombed/destroyed by land units pretty quickly.
We could add another province asset (Supply Depot) and I did think of doing that when first replying to you. But then, I thought about the AoD supply system and all the code that would need to change to "point" to a new province asset instead of supply depots that the game can setup automatically and not doing a lot of code changes. The AoD supply system is fairly complex and huge. In this case, I believe in keeping it simple.

Have 1 question on this: will the player receive some resources back? Like, some supplies from dismantled air base, ports, ic etc., which were left there but could be used later. I am talking about really small number - 10/20 for example.
I could go either way on this. It's just what resource would be left after demolishing a port, air base, etc.? The majority of times, when a unit does scorch earth, it's because they are retreating. IRL how much time would be allocated to bringing some resources back when one is retreating?

These would be my concerns. It is the same reason I didn't bring up iron cross' rebuilding buildings feature. The building is gone and it must be rebuilt from scratch.

This way rivers width or difficult beaches could be simulated.
May I propose (I suppose, you thought about it also) that engineer attachments would provide reduction to this difficulty? Also, Air-Mobile and Airborne divisions would not have penalties here (or greatly reduced), and Marines will have only small penalty, as well.
The new Engineer technology tree, on the Infantry screen, does just that...modifies the river crossing abilities of all land units. Some units receive higher modifiers, while others receive less. Higher modified units cross quicker, like infantry, militia, HQ, paratroopers, sof, air mobile, air assault, etc. Whereas, the heavier units like motorized, armor, cavalry, etc. cross slower but they do receive some river crossing modifiers, just no as much as the lighter (legged) units.

Yes, for sure - what a great addition it would be!
Also, air bases, radars and stationery AA are for sure to be added to this list, in my opinion.
Yes, all province assets would be included.

I have never heard of this kind of possibility in any HoI-based game. But it's such a simple, rather fundamental issue in land combat.
I even don't have any idea, how this can be implemented (in code and in interface). Hope you have some thoughts on it.
Yes, this is something that would need to be tweaked over time. I'm retired US Army and have been on many CPXs (Command Post Exercise) which consist of non-commissioned (sergeants, platoon sergeants) and commissioned officers. I don't know how old you are but these CPXs are similar to the older Avalon Hill war board games where each province is a hexagon (6 sides). The CPXs are computerized war games before they were ever use by civilians, such as AoD.

I would start by using an octagon (8 sides) province approach and only allowing a fort to focus/protect no more than 4 of the 8 directions (N, S, E, W, NE, NW, SW, SE). The coding to determine which adjacent provinces are N, S, E, W, NE, NW, SW, SE would take some time since provinces are not just a 6 or 8 sided provinces. Additionally, we would need to modify a file or create a new province_directions.csv with columns to show the relationships/directions between the provinces.

Stevep,
To address your post, the fort's directions would be calculated:
  • when placed
  • no currently controlled provinces will be considered for the fort directions
  • only a maximum of 4 adjacent provinces the fort can be directed at
  • and stored in a temporary file (like a saved game file is only a temporary file in the sense it not a permanent file AoD game file) or stored like any other thing AoD does (like the save game files). We would have a block of settings (like the relationships, units under construction, units in what province and its mission, etc.) that could look like this:
Opening a saved games file or for initial scenario setup, a country's .inc file, this example shows how the Strasbourg province would work.
Code:
province = {
    id = 73
    points = 4
    province_effectivity = 1.0200
    terrain = "forest"
    ic = {
        type = ic
        location = 73
        size = 2.0000
        current_size = 2.0000
        }
    landfort = {
        type = land_fort
        location = 73 # Strasburg
        direction1 = 71 # Luxembourg
        direction2 = 74 # Saarbrücken
        direction3 = 314 # Stuttgart
        direction4 = 315 # Freiburg
        size = 10.0000
        current_size = 10.0000
        }
    anti_air = {
        type = flak
        location = 73
        size = 2.0000
        current_size = 2.0010
        }
    infra = {
        type = infrastructure
        location = 73
        size = 1.0000
        current_size = 1.0000
        }
    }

When a battle occurs, only an attack from those directions (Luxembourg, Saabrücken, Stuttgart, or Freiburg) will the fort be a factor. Let's do what Germany did IRL. They came through Luxembourg and Belgium bypassing the Maginot Line. After taking Namur, Belgium, If they turned south taking Reims and Chaumont and attacked Strasburg, the level 10 land fort would not help/factor into the battle.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What has been discussed before is adding another column, unit capacity, that would impose penalties for too many land units in provinces. So no more Gibraltar with 10 divisions. The province.csv file will now have 2 additional columns, unitcapacity and portcapacity. We're still open on how to do it. I think there's only 2 options:
  • Once the capacity (air, unit, port) is reached, no other unit/plane/ship can enter the province. The issue with this option are units that are just moving through the province. You'll have to either go around the province or move units in the province out of the way. It could be coded around to see if the unit entering the province is just moving onto another province, buy why since the second option is much better. One could easily cheat the system by having a unit(s) move back and forth through the province, adding combat strength to the province that has reached its capacity. And then we have how the retreats (oops, retrograde operations :) ) logic currently works.
  • The better solution would be to impose a penalty(ies). There are many ways to do this:
    • A penalty applied daily to each unit in the province. Again, there are many penalties that could be use but if we penalize each unit (except for units moving through it) in the province, I would like to see where each unit's organization and strength are reduced a bit.
    • A province penalty. We could reduce the infrastructure.
    • etc.
Thanks for clarification on new columns in province.csv.
You mentioned all 3 (land units/planes/ships) units regarding the capacities. Does air units capacity will be the same, as currently - depending on airbase level?
Agree with you on not hard capacity limit, but soft ones. Penalties applied to each units and additional penalty to province infrastructure seems ok to me.

You are correct. In your scenario, one could still start producing a ship that has 100,000 tons, but it would only progress at 60% since the "free" tonnage available is only 60,000.
Thanks for clarification. Seems a great idea overall for me.

We could add another province asset (Supply Depot) and I did think of doing that when first replying to you. But then, I thought about the AoD supply system and all the code that would need to change to "point" to a new province asset instead of supply depots that the game can setup automatically and not doing a lot of code changes. The AoD supply system is fairly complex and huge. In this case, I believe in keeping it simple.
Then your variant with "Lock depot" button is better case here.

I could go either way on this. It's just what resource would be left after demolishing a port, air base, etc.? The majority of times, when a unit does scorch earth, it's because they are retreating. IRL how much time would be allocated to bringing some resources back when one is retreating?

These would be my concerns. It is the same reason I didn't bring up iron cross' rebuilding buildings feature. The building is gone and it must be rebuilt from scratch
Yep, can agree on this one with you. Also, destroying buildings for supplies could be a kind of exploit by some gamers.

The new Engineer technology tree, on the Infantry screen, does just that...modifies the river crossing abilities of all land units. Some units receive higher modifiers, while others receive less. Higher modified units cross quicker, like infantry, militia, HQ, paratroopers, sof, air mobile, air assault, etc. Whereas, the heavier units like motorized, armor, cavalry, etc. cross slower but they do receive some river crossing modifiers, just no as much as the lighter (legged) units.
Thanks for reply. I like this idea a lot.

Yes, all province assets would be included.
Great! Will there be any penalties (like higher IC price or lower construction speed) or limits for player to do so?

Yes, this is something that would need to be tweaked over time. I'm retired US Army and have been on many CPXs (Command Post Exercise) which consist of non-commissioned (sergeants, platoon sergeants) and commissioned officers. I don't know how old you are but these CPXs are similar to the older Avalon Hill war board games where each province is a hexagon (6 sides). The CPXs are computerized war games before they were ever use by civilians, such as AoD.

I would start by using an octagon (8 sides) province approach and only allowing a fort to focus/protect no more than 4 of the 8 directions (N, S, E, W, NE, NW, SW, SE). The coding to determine which adjacent provinces are N, S, E, W, NE, NW, SW, SE would take some time since provinces are not just a 6 or 8 sided provinces. Additionally, we would need to modify a file or create a new province_directions.csv with columns to show the relationships/directions between the provinces.

Stevep,
To address your post, the fort's directions would be calculated:
  • when placed
  • no currently controlled provinces will be considered for the fort directions
  • only a maximum of 4 adjacent provinces the fort can be directed at
  • and stored in a temporary file (like a saved game file is only a temporary file in the sense it not a permanent file AoD game file) or stored like any other thing AoD does (like the save game files). We would have a block of settings (like the relationships, units under construction, units in what province and its mission, etc.) that could look like this:
Opening a saved games file or for initial scenario setup, a country's .inc file, this example shows how the Strasbourg province would work.
Code:
province = {
id = 73
points = 4
province_effectivity = 1.0200
terrain = "forest"
ic = {
type = ic
location = 73
size = 2.0000
current_size = 2.0000
}
landfort = {
type = land_fort
location = 73 # Strasburg
direction1 = 71 # Luxembourg
direction2 = 74 # Saarbrücken
direction3 = 314 # Stuttgart
direction4 = 315 # Freiburg
size = 10.0000
current_size = 10.0000
}
anti_air = {
type = flak
location = 73
size = 2.0000
current_size = 2.0010
}
infra = {
type = infrastructure
location = 73
size = 1.0000
current_size = 1.0000
}
}
When a battle occurs, only an attack from those directions (Luxembourg, Saabrücken, Stuttgart, or Freiburg) will the fort be a factor. Let's do what Germany did IRL. They came through Luxembourg and Belgium bypassing the Maginot Line. After taking Namur, Belgium, If they turned south taking Reims and Chaumont and attacked Strasburg, the level 10 land fort would not help/factor into the battle.
I'm 30, heard about that type of games but never played any IRL.
I am glad to hear that you have already thought on some ways of implementation this feature.
How player will be selecting which side to place the fort? Will it be some kind of pop-up window with directions to mark in it or just, say, 4 different forts buildings each directed to different side?

Thanks once more for all your answers.
By the way, I may help you with some softcoding for game files if there is need for it (been modifying the games (HoI2, DH, AoD, HoI4) for my own play purposes for 10 years, but just small tweaks and adding new units models, etc.)

Radar bonus for nearby provinces - Not sure about this one since provinces are all different sizes. Let's say that each province with a radar can affect each province that connects to them. You now have a large province covering a 30 km front and each connecting province (which one or more of those are a large province itself) with a huge advantage over a province covering a 10 km front. The radar logic, in AoD, does need to be improved but also keep it fair between the provinces. Here is an idea:

I have some fundamental comments on the whole concept of Radars in Hoi2-Game.

It is necessary clearly to distinguish between two different things:

- warning/guidance radars for fighter aircraft

- artillery radars of air defense guns

I am absolutely convinced that those Radars that we build on the map should mean warning/guidance radar of air defense fighter aircraft.
And yes, me, too, have been very angry all these 14 years in Hoi2 that they work only in one province, although of course they should act in all neighboring adjacent provinces too (70-150 km radius of air-detection in 1939-1945, it's enougft for closest neighboring provinces).
Their effect should be to choose a more correct route towards enemy aircraft (it seems the Hoi2 manual promised this) and an additional Attack/Defense bonus during air battle to the aircraft in province with radar influence (as it is in Hoi2).

Ideally, probably the bonus in neighboring provinces should be 1/2 of the bonus in the province with radar. And of course, the influence of neighboring radars in the provinces should not be summed up, just the highest value should be taken.

I agree that it is possible to switch-On the expansion of the coverage area after a certain number of radars in province, for example from the 4th radar.
For example 4 radars give the radar effect only as of 2 radars in neighboring provinces.

And most importantly. These radars have no effect/bonuses on the effectiveness of artillery AA!! (Needs to disable all bonuses in Misc)

#################################

Artillery radars of Air defense guns are completely separate type of radars and they should be taken into account in the bonuses (and cost) of AA in the province and AA-brigades of warships.
Of course, bonuses of these AA-guns radars should be activated only after researching relevant additional technologies - Radar Target Plotting and Radar Proximity Fuses.

#################################

In general, I wrote this to try to explain that the "radars on the map" have nothing to do with strengthening the province's AA (as it unrealistically made in Hoi2). They enhance only the effectiveness of fighters.
These radars do not improve the firing efficiency of anti-aircraft guns in any way and do not affect the constant combat readiness of anti-aircraft gunners.

Anti-aircraft gunners start firing only when enemy planes fly close enough for effective shooting, the early warning radar in Province will not give them anything additional, which exceeds the capabilities of casual acoustic sound detectors and binoculars which they have.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: