• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
August 12, Late - Morning, Battle of Cremona

The swordsmen of his regiment crushed and destroyed the heart of the pike unit. That boy Henri found the regiment’s leading officer and after an intense trading of blows, managed to separate the unlucky foe from his left arm. He was left there to die as he watched his life’s blood pump out onto the ground next to him.

Henri stood over his vanquished foe. His face was a kaleidoscope of emotions. He saw clearly his father and the wise words spoken by him over the years. He saw the Venetians. And most of all, he saw Tomas. Henri looked to the sky and screamed a primeval scream.

With that scream, the spirit of his brother was finally put to rest. The Avergnese youth sat down next to the corpse of the Venetian officer, his battle rage spent.

Chen's jaghun was behind Shur'tu's jaghun as they swept in for another hit and run raid on the venetian cavalry. As they prepared to fire their volley of arrows, suddenly the Venetian cavalry split into two wings and charged. As the lines split, a row of crossbowmen stood ready.

Chen saw the crossbowmen fire their crossbows at point blank range into the front 2 jaghuns. He saw a arrow hit Shur'tu, saw him slump into his saddle even as the front rank of the Light cavalry was decimated.

A quick glance at the two charging venetian wings told him that they could not retreat. The charging venetians was close enough that there was no time for the Light cavalry to stop, turn and and make a run back to their lines. The venetians will be on them before they could gain momentum. This only leaves the FC light cavalry with one option. Though the front rank was decimated, the middle and back ranks was still charging forward. The momentum was still there. Chen could see only one way out of the mess, charge through the gap and the crossbowmen and then swing right into open space, using their superior and faster horses to outrun the venetians back to their lines.

Without hesitation, Chen shouted to Huang," Huang!! Sound charge!! Charge through the gap and their crossbowmen!!!" Huang took one startled look at Chen, then quickly took out his bugle and blew with eveything he got.

Some of the Light Cavalrymen was about to turn back, but on hearing the horn, carried on the charge. In front, Chen saw Wu'tu grab Shur'tu onto his horse and join in the charge.

Chen now took the lead position in the Light Cavalry. He had commanded before back in China and now, due to injuries to his superior officers, he once again took up the command position. Drawing his sword and raising it high, he screamed out a war cry as he charged towards the gap. Behind him, the Light Cavalry follwed him as they charged, shouting war cries, as they spurred their horses on knowing they must clear the gap or die when the Venetians wings close up.

In front of him, Chen could see the venetian crossbowmen working feverishly to reload their crossbows to fire at the FC cavalry again. Come on come on, he spurred his horse on. FC cavalrymen fired off arrows and then drew swords as the gap and venetian crossbowmen drew close.

Aorund the flanks of the Light Cavalry, the venetian wings started closing the gap. In front of them, venetian crossbowmen hastily reloaded to prepare to fire again. It was going to be a close race and failure to reach their target first will mean the end of the FC Light Cavalry. Chen screamed the FC battlecry as they approach the gap," Death rides with us!! Behind him, he could hear the battlecry being echoed by the rest of the Light Cavalry. They were almost at the gap now and the venetians were almost done reloading......

Fyrsil walked up to Lochlan with a concerned look in his eyes. The enemy was advancing rapidly and their numbers were still significant.

“We have to hold”, he said, it being an observation if nothing else, “I can take that part of my men who are willing and able to wield a sword to reinforce your line.”

“I do not like it”

“Neither do I, but if we do not hold the consequences will be dire.”

Lochlan nodded, “Stay behind our line until it is absolutely necessary that you enter the fray.”

Fyrsil returned to his men, visibly concerned. He lifted his head and spoke:

“Friends! Brothers! Soldiers! We must hold this line or the day may turn dark. I need the best swordsmen among you to come with me, to stand or to fall.”

The men Fyrsil expected to come forward stepped forward in near unison. Fyrsil’s sword rang clearly as he drew it. My grandfather’s sword. They marched to the line in an orderly fashion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The enemy was quickly upon them. The fighting was fierce indeed, but the line was holding. Just as Fyrsil reflected on how it pained him to idly watch his comrades die, Lochlan called out in a loud voice.

“The bastards are flanking us!”

Fyrsil nodded and yelled an order. Immediately he and his group went on to intercept the treacherous attack. Now is the time! Now is the time to fulfil destiny!. The two infantry groups clashed and a valiant melee ensued. Many men fell, indeed, many brothers of Constantinople fell. Seeing that his line was about to break, he cried a cry that had not been heard for years, that indeed would not be heard again in the future: “Bright on the Dragon crest it tells that glory's wing shall rest when warriors meet to die!!”

With that he and those around him charged desperately into the enemy formation. The first Venetians were plainly trampled, the next ones met with their steel. Fyrsil heaved his sword up high and swung it at a terrified Venetian. The charge lost some of its momentum, but not all. Seeing that victory appeared within his grasp, Fyrsil raised his sword up high, drawing breath to scream. He did scream, but not of victory. A stray Venetian crossbow bolt pierced his left shoulder. The cry became desperate and painful as he lowered his sword to crush a bold Venetian trying to exploit his weakness. The rage of battle kept Fyrsil on his feet and he desperately lunged into the blurry mass of enemy soldiers. After piercing the first one with staggering ease, he fell over.

A particularly large Venetian struck at him with an axe, causing a large wound on his back. Letting out another cry, he rose and blindly swung his sword at the man. Seeing his foe fall he stood as tall and erect as he could manage. Before long he was again locked in close combat. He felled his foe with amazing ease.

Fyrsil never saw the bolt that hit him. The sheer force of it made him fall on his back. He gazed at the grey morning sky and thought of Wales. He vividly saw Snowdon in his minds eye before everything went black.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 12, Late – Morning, Wales

The thunder roared as rain started to pour down on Faolan’s estate. Though it was morning, the light was scarce and the skies were dark. Inside the house, a maid sped towards a bedroom.

“Is he..”

“He is dying”, replied another, slightly older, maid who had been standing at the door.

They entered the dimly lit room and walked towards the bed. On it Faolan ap Owain, now an elderly looking man laid, his eyes closed. As the lightning struck again, the maids saw that the old man opened his eyes in an expression of despairing horror. Summoning the last strength of his dying body he called out his son’s name. The first cry was strong and despairing, the second was weak and sorrowful.

The maid rushed to the bed and held his hand.

“Fyrsil..”, he whispered one last time, before his eyes closed and his heart stopped.

Thus passed the last heirs to the crown of Gwynedd. One on a field in a vain battle, one in bed, alone and unmourned by his son.

August 12, Infantry Lines

Amric cursed when he saw the reinforcements approaching. Fresh men. Not good. Not good at all.

"Break out the water!"Amric shouted," Pass it around. Everyone take a swig and spit it out and then take a good drink. Not too much or you'll regret it later!"

His command followed, the men took a much needed drink and quickly policed the area nearby to remove the broken pikes and the destritus of war, namely swords, bits of bodies, etc. The weaponry that was still good was placed to the rear to be sorted later. The bits of pieces of the enemy were tossed toward the pits while those of the Free Company were carefully placed in the rear.

Quickly of course and not all the men were doing that task, just 1 in 10 as there would be hell to pay if the Venetian reinforcements arrived while they were busy with other tasks.

Amric quickly strode among the men, praising them for their fine effort so far and encouraging them.

'You've all done well so far today," Amric shouted," But there is still more to do, for those oncoming enemies believe we are tired and too hurt to continue the fight!

I want you to prove them wrong! As hard and as well as you fought before, we will all have to do it again! No matter! We have rested and we are ready! The fires of war have tempered us into a mighty blade that will scythe the enemies off the field before us!

They think they have us, but we SHALL prove them wrong! We will send them reeling back, bloody and broken, their lines shattered and their spirits shredded.

ARE YOU WITH ME?

The mighty roar of his men was all the answer he needed....

Geoffrey stood staring across the battlefield at the reforming Venetians. Someone passed him a water skin and he took a long drink. The warm water tasted so good that he thought he had died and gone to heaven. As he stood there his breathing slowed and he had a chance to check on his wounds. As the adrenaline in his blood slowed he started feeling every pulled muscle, every wound and his ears were ringing from the repeated blows to his helmet. He sighed and tried to move his left arm but the shoulder wound was too painful. At least the bleeding had stopped but he wasn’t able to use a pike any longer so he clutched a sword in his right hand.

Suddenly Sergeant Amric was standing before the men yelling at the top of his lungs.

"You've all done well so far today. But there is still more to do, for those oncoming enemies believe we are tired and too hurt to continue the fight!"

Geoffrey thought to himself.

"Done well? I’m bleeding from a dozen bloody wounds and all I’ve done is well?"

"I want you to prove them wrong! As hard and as well as you fought before, we will all have to do it again! No matter! We have rested and we are ready! The fires of war have tempered us into a mighty blade that will scythe the enemies off the field before us!"

"There’s that well word again! What happened to great or magnificent? Oh shit he’s serious. He’s going to want us to fight some more!"

"They think they have us, but we SHALL prove them wrong! We will send them reeling back, bloody and broken, their lines shattered and their spirits shredded. ARE YOU WITH ME?"

The mighty roar of his men was all the answer he needed....

Geoffrey stood among the roaring men and raised his right eyebrow. All the while trying to control his chaotic thoughts.

"I’ve gone to hell. That’s it I’m dead and I’ve found my way down to one of Dante’s nine circles of hell! I’m surrounded by madmen being led by a madman on a mission of madness."

A motion off in the distance caught his attention and he watched as the light Cavalry charge into a Venetian formation. The Free Company Cavalry waved their swords over their heads as they charged.

"More madness! What the hell else can happen?"

August 12 - Mid-Morning - Battle of Cremona

The Venetians were ready this time, that was bad. Shur'tu took a bolt, that was worse. Chen, shouted a few orders to his men, then took up the lead as one of the Chinese Riders managed to get Shur'tu's slumped body onto his horse. O'Floinn released an arrow. Without pause he drew another and fitted it to his string. He let fly at the Venetians with several more arrows before drawing his sword and coming up to the front, where the Chinese, Mongols, Moors, and Europeans were already clashing with Venetian infantry. The Celt urged his horse on, slashing at a passing Venetian on the ground. A nearby enemy drew up his crossbow. O'Floinn swiftly threw one of his knives at him. The Venetian fell back, firing off his crossbow into a tree as he went. A large infantryman threw himself forward at O'Floinn, who brought down the Italian with a quick slash of his sword. O'Floinn surged forward against the tide of the Venetian infantry.

August 12, Afternoon, Florence

“So the rumours are true!”

“They are, monseigneur: Maria de Medici is being tortured by a Herr Drakken, otherwise known as the German”, the large Greek replied.

Bertilucci’s otherwise kindly face turned into one filled with horror and concern. After a palpable silence, his vigour returned.

“I will act in the way a humble old man can. But do not despair! For it is written: “Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations””

The other man merely nodded as they parted their ways.

Father Holmes entered the small monastery room where they were staying from the back. After absorbing the ascetic tranquillity for a moment, he slowly spoke:

“I have found several nobles in whom the fear of the Lord is indeed strong. I did not even have to suggest that their lord Cosimo could’ve been deceived by the fallen bearer of light. One of them wields great influence over the council.”

“These are good tidings. Arrange for a trial at the earliest possible date. I have a dark challenge ahead of me and I must make haste!”

August 12, Afternoon, Florence – Palazzo Vecchio

Offering a quick prayer, Bertilucci stepped up the large steps leading to the entrance of the palace. With grace he moved through the halls. He carried a large pouch containing a bell, a book and a candle. Instead of going to this master Sebastian, who apparently wielded quite an influence while his master was gone, he went to a minor aide who Maria’s Greek friend thought trustworthy.

“Excuse me, my son, I am looking for a man called Heinrich Drakken.”

The young boy grinned suspiciously: “I just saw him entering the prison. No-one is to disturb him, under orders of Sebastian.”

“Well,”, said the venerable man, staring intently at the young aide, “I am here on matters of heaven or hell, I am sure no one will deny the Papal envoy access.”

The young man whispered the agreed password: “Genitum, non factum.”

“Consubstantialem Patri”, answered Bertilucci in a low voice.

The aide nodded and handed him a key. Bertilucci quietly made his way to the locked but unguarded door that led to the dungeons. He opened it and made his way down.

Coming at last to the very darkest part of the Dungeon, he saw a diminutive figure fiddling with a lock of a cell door. The man appeared quite nervous and indeed

“Herr Drakken, I presume?”

The figure made some barely audible yet agreeing sounds.

Bertilucci put his staff against the wall, opened his pouch and put it in a small alcove that was conveniently located in the wall. He took the candle from it and lit it. Then he took the book and opened it on a random page.

Drakken finally spoke audibly “Would you please leave, sir? I have some work of my own to do, and I don’t like being disturbed.”

Bertilucci didn’t answer. Instead, he read aloud from the book:

"We exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church, and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church."

Drakken stared at him, dumbfounded.

Bertilucci closed the book and put it away, replacing it for the bell. He held it up and sounded it once, signifying the toll of death. The warm, but doom-ridden sound easily filled the dungeon. Without saying anything, Bertilucci held his candle upside down and, after it had gone out, dropped it on the floor, signifying the removal of Drakken’s soul from God’s sight.

He took his staff and purse, turned his back to Drakken and left the dungeons.

12 August, Morning: Cremona

"Death rides with us!"

The cry travelled through the light cavalry. Jean had, of course, been at the front of his jaghun, but was one of the lucky few to survive at the front. This unfortunately also meant that he was one of the first to reach the enemy. Striking left and right, he cut up as many Venetians as possible on the way.

Suddenly, a bolt found his horse. The animal gave a cry of pain and fell over. Jean now cursed the stirrups which had before made his attack all the stronger; now, it was that much harder to get away. As he struck the ground, Jean felt his right arm and leg break. Pain shot through that side. He had, at the last moment, managed to fall clear of the horse, but was now in no position to do much of anything.

August 12th, Battle of Cremona

Wilhelm along side O'Floinn fought off the Venicians with ease and layed waste to the enemy lines. As he fought a stray arrow lodged into his steed and Wilhelm was flung to the ground. He soon found himself surrounded and embroiled in a large brawl with a mass of Venicians. He took 6 heads with his sword and another 12 with his hand axe but more still challenged him.

By this time Wilhelm was in the thick of the fighting and he took heads like it was nothing. About 25 paces in front of him he saw O'Floinn struggling to fight off enemy polemen. From behind O'Floinn a crossbowmen prepared to launch an arrow into O'Floinn' back.

Wilhelm made his way toward the crossbowmen and right when the crossbowmen readied his crossbow, Wilhelm threw his hand axe at the crossbowmen. The hand axe lodged in the crossbowmen's skull and he droped to the ground.

O'Floinn had by that time dispersed the polemen and turned around and said........

August 12 - Mid-Morning - Cavarly Charge

O'Floinn turned just in time to see it. He had started reaching for a throwing dagger, but doubted he could reach it in time. Then it flew in. A small hand axe. It flew like a bird, straight into the crossbowman's head. The Irishman turned to the strange German, Wilhelm.

"I'm in yer debt, Wilhelm, bu' I may yet 'ave the chance to repay ye before this battle is at it's end. Come, we shall fight for Milan's freedom!"

Shouting fierce cries, the majority of the Light Cavalry succeeded in clearing the gap before the venetian wings closed in on them, though a small knot of men failed to clear the gap in time and they went down fighting the venetians.

Past the gap, the Light Cavalry concentrated on the venetian crossbowmen. Some of the crossbowmen had already reloaded and they hastily fired off their crossbows. Others dropped their crossbows and took out weapons and prepared to take the charge.

The Light Cavalry crashed into the venetian infantry lines. Chopping left and right, Chen and his men tried to hack their way clear. Around him, he could see some of his men being dehorsed. He saw O'Floinn pull Wilhelm onto his horse. In front, Jean lay on the ground, wounded with a venetian about to deliver the killing blow. With a scream, Chen grabbed his dagger and flung it at the venetian. His aim was true and it took the venetian in the throw. Approaching Jean, he stooped low and with one fluid motion grabbed Jean with one hand and flung him onto his horse. As he continued his charge, he saw the flag bearer drop the FC flag he was holding. He began to slow down to pick it up, but Chen pushed him forward," No time! Keep Moving, don't stop!!"

Suddenly, Chen was past the venetians lines. Looking around he saw most of his men had also already cleared the venetian lines. To his horror, he saw that there were still some of his men, unhorsed still fighting within the venetians infantry lines.Among those Cavalrymen fighting on foot was his closest friend Huang Wei. Further back, the venetian cavalry was closing in fast.

Some of the cavalrymen were already turning back to prepare to go back to rescure their trapped comrades. Chen looked at Huang and then at the venetian cavalry and knew there was no time. As though Huang knew Chen was looking at him, he stared at Chen, gave a smile and then with his free hand waved him away, to get away while they can.

Tears in his eyes, he shouted in a hoarse breaking voice," Swing right now. We got to get clear now. The men still trapped within are on their own. Lets go now!!" Some of the men looked as if they were about to protest but a furious stare and a shout," GO NOW!!" from Chen silenced whatever they were going to say.

Quickly they swing right and continued on. Meanwhile the venetian cavalry had stopped their charge to prevent charging into the remnants of their crossbowmen. Once they were free of pursuit, Chen ordered a right swing again and they raced back to their lines. The venetians realising their prey had escaped again returned to the foot of the hill to form up again.

Returning to their lines, Chen quickly ordered his men to give drinks and walk their tired mounts. Chen himself walked slightly apart, remembering old memories of him and Huang. He remembered the final scene of Huang again, his last smile at his best friend, followed by the wave to get away even as he engaged another venetian. The scene finally overwhelmed him and he finally broke down, crying bitterly at the death of his best friend.

The venetian cavalry commander was furious. Those dammable ponies had gotten away from him again. To top it off, they also succeeded in decimating his crossbowmen. Curses erupted from him even as his aides avoided going near him. Finally one brave soul approached him," Sir, are we going to prepare to charge the mecernaries soon?"

The commander looked at him for a second before calming himself and answering," Not yet. Our horses are tired after that mad scramble to get here. We will let them have a bit of rest before preparing for the final charge at them." As his aide walked off, he stared around. Bodies of his men and the mecernaries lay around the field. Nearby there was a fallen flag of the Free Company. He called his aide over again," Lad, get some people to gather up all the dead corpses of those mecernaries as well as their flag. I have an idea what to do with them. These mecernaries must learn the price of crossing us!"

Shouts and curses from the cavalrymen got the attention of Chen. He got up and walked over to where the rest of the cavalrymen was looking out at the venetian cavalry formation. At first he could only see the 2 cavalry forces locked in an uneasy face off. Then he saw what had caused his men to curse and swear. What he saw made his blood boil. The fallen flag of the Free Company had been erected. Surrounding the flag in a circle, on pikes were the heads of the fallen FC cavalrymen. Chen could only stare as he saw the lifeless head of Huang, his eyes staring blankly into space. Chen screamed his fury at the venetians. He swore they will pay for this insult to their fallen comrades......

12 August: Cremona

As Jean lay on the ground, helpless, a Venetian came up, holding a sword and grinning. He lifted the sword...

It swung down...

And missed.

The Venetian fell as well, a knife protruding from his throat. Before Jean knew what was happening, he felt someone pull him up and throw him onto a horse. It was Chen.

They finally pulled clear of the enemy and made their way back to their own lines. The Mings took special care as they dismounted him--his injuries were bad enough. As they did, he repeated a few phrases in a murmur:

"Danny. Where is he? Where is O'Floinn? Is he alive?"

Drakken watched the Bishop's excommunication show impassively. It was grimly ironic, he thought -- the Church was an occasional employer of his services. And yet, he found himself to just another job, and this was his reward?

He waited for a long moment after the Bishop had gone, wondering if he would suddenly feel some separation from God, some severing of a tie intact since birth. He was not entirely surprised to discover that he felt nothing.

He turned back to the door and resumed fiddling with the lock. I just hope this doesn't get out. It could be bad for business.

"You're sure?"

"I am," nodded the guard. "I saw him in person last Michaelmas."

Sebastian stroked his chin. "Hmm. So Bishop Bertilucci returns to Florence. And he comes straight to the Palazzo. Why?"

"Sir?"

"Oh? Oh. No matter. You are dismissed."

When the guard had gone, Sebastian leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. The Bishop leaves with the Free Company, and then returns? He would have stopped earlier if he was sent to parley with Cosimo, and wouldn't have stopped at all if he was on his way to Rome. So he came here for a reason.

He grimaced. Maria. Of course, the Free Company would want to get its prodigal daughter released from her captivity, though it was puzzling why they hadn't tried earlier. Perhaps, with Cosimo out of the city, the Bishop hoped to plead his case among the merchants and populace of the city.

So, what to do about Lady Maria? With Lord Cosimo in the field, there's little to stop me dealing with the good admiral myself. Though the town will be in an uproar if she simply turns up dead.

A long moment passed before it came to him. Unless they have a scapegoat. Everyone here knows Drakken is half mad, and he's infatuated with the girl too... so they get into a fight, she ends up dead... the people run him out of town or hang him, Foscari is rid of another thorn, and Cosimo is thrilled to find his problem solved when he returns. Perhaps he even takes me further into his confidence...

Sebastian tapped his fingertips together and grinned wickedly. Yes, I do believe this will work out quite nicely for... most involved.

Chen was ready to mount his horse and charge down the hill against the venetian all by himself when someone lay a hand on his shoulder. " Calm down Chen. Right now, for your fast thinking just now, we are now alive and the rest now regards you as commander in view of Shur'tu's injury. As commander of the Light Cavalry, you must think of the grand picture first and not just your own vendatta."

Chen turned around to see the calm face of Sebutai looking at him with a fatherly look. Sebutai continued," I am just as angry as you. Some of my men's head decorate their pikes as well and i want nothing more as to strike down the venetians with my bare hands. However charging down is not going to do anything other than getting yourself killed. If you fall, then you are letting everyone down cause everyone including Captain depend on you now to hold back the venetian cavalry from flanking the rest of the army. And that should be your concern now."

The words of Sebutai hit home as Chen realised now the responsibility he holds. He grasped the old veteren's hand and said," Thank you for your advice Sebutai or else i really might have just charge down the hill."

Sebutai just grinned," No problem. By the way, i just checked our strength. We lost 70 men at the last skirmish plus another 90 injured. Right now we have about 240 combat ready men."

Chen nodded. Thinking for a moment, he replied," Very well. This is what we will do. We will redivide our men into 3 jaghuns of 80 men. I will take one jaghun. Sebutai, you will take the second jahun. As for the third, I would have let Jean assume command but with his injuries I guess he's out of the fight as well. I think I will give it to O'Floinn. He had commanded before so I think he can handle one jaghun." Sebutai nodded his agreement. Chen turned to one of his men and said," Go get O'Floinn. He should over where the injured are now, checking up on Jean."

As the runner ran off, he turned to another runner," You. Run to Captain as fast as you can. Tell him of Shur'tu's injury and that I have assumed command. Tell him also of our losses in the last skirmish and that our total strength plus the heavy cavalry now stands at 640 against about 1200 venetians. Tell him we will try to hold but are unlikely to be able to hold for long and that we request immediate reinforcements or else we will be overwhelmed. Go now." The second runner ran off

To a third runner, he said," Go find Kent. Tell him that i have a plan that might be hold off the venetians for some time at least till Captain is able to send some aid over here but I will need to coordinate with his men." The third runner ran off.

As the third runner ran off to find Kent, O'Floinn rode over," You were looking for me?" Chen nodded," Yes O'Floinn. As you know, almost all the cavalry commanders are either dead or wounded. We now have a shortage of commanders. I have redivided the Light Cavalry into 3 jaghuns. Considering that you have experience with leading, I would like you to command one of the jaghuns. Think you can handle it?"

August 12 - Mid-Morning - Cavalry Lines

O'Floinn's face turned deadly serious. Then he suddenly began to grin crazily.

"If I can' 'andle i', it'll be because I have two arrows in m' throat!"

"Good to hear"

"Do ye know where Jean is? I saw 'im go down."

"He's lying over there, he'll be out of it a while. We think he was mumbling something about you earlier."

"Thank you, good luck"

Chen responded with an Eastern tounge O'Floinn didn't know. He smiled and told the Celt it meant "best of luck, may we meet again after the battle" With that, O'Floinn rode toward Jean. Pulling his horse up next to him, O'Floinn dismounted and crouched down next to him.

"Are ye alright?"

12 August, morning: Cavalry Lines

"Are ye alright?"

Jean looked up to see O'Floinn standing over him.

"I'm lying on the ground with a useless right arm and leg. Does it look like I'm alright?" Jean winced. "Sorry, Danny, just the pain from this wound is getting to me. Yes, I'm still alive and once my limbs heal I'll be able to fight again. But I'm out for this battle. Take command of the jaghun in the meanwhile."

"'At's already done. Chen tol' me 'fore I came o'er."

"Chen? What about Shur'tu?"

"Took a bolt earlier."

"This hasn't been a good day, has it? Well, make sure you don't end up like me, or worse. Keep alive--for me, for yourself, for the Company, and most especially... for Marie. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd prefer some time with my own thoughts."

"Very well, I shou' go inform the men o' the change in command now anyway."

O'Floinn turned back and remounted, then rode off toward where his Jaghun was gathering. Upon arrival, he took out a small wooden instrument, and blew a quick burst of noise. The riders turned to face him. He began speaking, slowly at first.

"Many o' ye may 'ave seen our leaders go down, both Jean Shur'tu 'll be ou' o' the battle. Chen o' the Ming Guards 'as assumed command o' the light cavalry an' redivided the remainin' men int' three jaghuns o' eithty each. Command o' this jaghun was gi'en to me. Don' wander too far now lads, fer we may be need'd quickly. I'll be returnin' soon, I mus' confer wi' Chen an' the o'er commanders"

The Celt turned and made haste for Chen's position, knowing lost seconds could mean the difference between the cavalry fending off a charge, and the allied forces being flanked.

Chen had just return from conferring with Kent and had just started discussing his plan with O'Floinn and Sebutai when Wilhelm came over to them and saluted. Chen returned the salute and nodded to Wilhelm to speak.

"If you need a commander, I have some experience in that field." said Wilhelm."Just tell who and where I command"

Chen replied," I appreciate the offer of help, Wilhelm but for the moment I can't offer you a place as jaghun commander. You have to understand. You have barely joined the FC for an hour and you know nothing about our tactics so how can I offer you a command place now? Perhaps in the future when you know more about us and when you have proven yourself you might find yourself commanding a jaghun." Wilhelm looked crestfallen but he nodded.

Chen continued speaking," I can't offer you a place as jaghun commander but perhaps within the jaghun there might be a place for you." Turning to O'Floinn, Chen said," Wilhelm is in your jaghun and you have seen him in action during our last skirmish. What do you think? Can he handle an arban of 10 men within your jaghun? I leave this decision to you O'Floinn."

Last edited:
August 12th - Mid morning - Battle of Cremona

It was all in the hands of the heavy infantry now. Disciplined formations of Free Company pikemen held the line against a greater number of Venetian infantry. It took Lionel some time to understand that the operation of a pikeman formation worked quite differently. Discipline made such a formation. Discipline to keep the formation free of holes, and to exploit mistakes the enemy made quickly. Jeager, lieutenant of one of the pikeman infantry formations, looked at him as it dawned to Lionel that he and his men were of little use in this melee. Jeager’s command followed suit: “Lionel, take your men and fall back a little to cover our right.” Lionel acknowledged and saw that he could not only cover the right, but also the retreat, if things went bad.

More infantry came bearing down, this time on the archers that did such a great job at decimating the enemy from afar. Forming up against them were the rangers and a few able swordsmen originating from the archer company. Almost nine hundred Venetians against a few hundred of troops ill equipped to serve in the first rank. And this time, the Venetians weren’t harassed by the horse-archers. But maybe Lionel could do some harassing of his own, as long as the Venetian cavalry was as occupied as the Free Company’s. Lionel signalled to head for the far right, and was pleased to see that many men remained to follow him. Ergun was still there. Enzo took an unlucky wound to the arm, but he would survive the day. From the ridge, he could see Julien, carrying his great crossbow over the shoulder, leading the rest of the great crossbows, to him.

“The Venetians come in squares.” Lionel began, outlining his plans. “That makes them less manoeuvrable than light infantry, which means it will take some time for them to exploit the advantage of numbers.” “That gives us a chance to harass a few of those squares, maybe crack one if we’re lucky.” “Enzo, take a few men and watch those cavalry for me. If Venetians come too close, sound the alarm.” Enzo understood the danger all too well, and was off with a few men in an instant. “Julien, take the teams and take a few pot-shots at those squares, nothing too spectacular. A few shatter-bolts here and there will do. Focus the teams if a square starts to waver.” “The rest of us will split in three groups. We use flight arrows, so we have some range over penetration. We save the bolts for breaking formations.” Lionel took another look at the massed formations, friend and foe. “So many men” he thought, but put the thought aside. It was time to do our little thing in this grand play of events.