• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
July 24, 1565

"And that's why you bet on the cripple...they're craftier. If they weren't, they'd be dead." With that the Hungarian ranger stalked off.

"What in the name of the devil was that all about?" Llywarch watched him leave in a huff. "Sore losers shouldn't gamble. Simple enough. But to drive off our mascot, the little gull, now that's a mistake. Never anger a seabird when you're at sea, that's what I always say. They know how to call up the winds!"

"So, Gunshy, what do you have for the gunners to do? My lady's below and ready to dance, the powder's soaked, the rangers are angry, nothing new here. We can't drill the guns here." The Welshman pulled a pair of dice from this pocket. "If you've got nothing else to do, and since you've got those brand new dinarii in your pocket, what about a game of hazard? Come on, I'll even let you check the dice before you roll them."

July 24, 1565 – The Mediterranean: Somewhere East of Malta

Captain pondered it, then nodded. He looked at the chest. "You think the Spanish will be good for the balance?"

Henri shrugged. "Time will tell."

"Right." With that Captain walked onto the aft-deck, paused to watch the flurry of activity as the men reacted to the news of their destination.

Henri shrugged again at the retreating back of Captain and was about to leave the cabin when a boy appeared at the door. Henri frowned at the interruption.

"Well?"

The boy swallowed.

"I’ve been sent to find Captain and tell him that Mr. Martel requests a moment of his time."

"Captain’s busy right now or have you gone blind?"

The boy swallowed again his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down.

Mr. Martel said that you would do if Captain is busy."

"Oh I will do will I? Should I be pleased at that? What’s your name boy?"

"Richard sir."

"Well Richard sir tell Mr. Martel that I’ll be down in a moment. I have a task for him."

Richard hesitated in telling the older man that his name was just Richard but thought better of it.

"Yes sir."

The boy was gone in a flash before Henri even started to get up. He grinned at his own joke with the boy and slowly stood up. His back protested the movement with stabs of pain that moved down to his legs. He shook his head and shrugged off the aches but his disposition suffered. As he moved below deck the sounds of the men on deck became muffled and indirect. Shouts quickly became subtle sounds absorbed by the well worn wood that surrounded Henri. He had to duck his head several times or risk a painful head butt. He moved between stacks of supplies that were stored wherever there was room leaving small isles that twisted along the length of the ship. Finally Henri rounded a wall of barrels and found Martel bent over a ledger, his quill making a faint scratching sound as it slid along the parchment. Henri cleared his voice and Martel looked up. Henri nodded a greeting.

"I hope all is well with you Nathaniel. Richard tells me you have something that I can help you with but before we go there I have a task for you. Up in the Aft-cabin you’ll find a chest of money. Tally it for the Captain will you?"

Martel paused quill in hand and looked up at Henri.

"This is our payment for this expedition isn’t it?"

"You’re a quick study Nathaniel, remind me not to gamble with you. Yes it’s our pay from Viceroy Diego."

"You haven’t counted it?"

"Of course not. Viceroy Diego is an honorable nobleman whose word is not to be questioned, at least to his face. He assured me that the agreed to amount was all there and I have no reason to doubt him but you know Captain he wants a written tally."

Martel carefully wiped the ink off his quill and put it in his quill holder.

"All right I’ll see that it’s done today.’

"Most excellent, now your lad Richard said there was something you wanted to talk to me about?"

Last edited:
"And that's why you bet on the cripple...they're craftier. If they weren't, they'd be dead." With that the Hungarian ranger stalked off.

Gunshy watched the ranger as he walked away, contemplating whether or not to comment on this to Renault. He might have even right then, but he was distracted by Glory,

"Alright, you squat dog, so you won half a dozen of my denari. That, I'm not impressed by." Glory jabbed a long finger at the artillery lieutenant. "You want to go double or nothing on the soldi, you'll find a better bet than a couple of rancid birds fighting over scraps. Though God only knows why I'd agree to gamble with a liar and a cheat like you!"

Gunshy sneered at the taller man. "Go gamble away your mothers virtue." The artillerman paused, drawing himself up. Or at least attempting to. Gunshy was not particularly tall. "I have work to do." He said loftily.

"Then pay me the rest of what you owe me." Glory mocked casually.

"I'd die first." Gunshy chuckled evilly. "We'll find a good way to even this up on Malta. Maybe a drinking contest or something fitting.

In the background he could see Mario's formation breaking up, damn infantrymen. This was a boat, there was little room for gethering like that.

"What in the name of the devil was that all about?" Llywarch watched Arpad leave in a huff. "Sore losers shouldn't gamble. Simple enough. But to drive off our mascot, the little gull, now that's a mistake. Never anger a seabird when you're at sea, that's what I always say. They know how to call up the winds!"

"So, Gunshy, what do you have for the gunners to do? My lady's below and ready to dance, the powder's soaked, the rangers are angry, nothing new here. We can't drill the guns here." The Welshman pulled a pair of dice from this pocket. "If you've got nothing else to do, and since you've got those brand new dinarii in your pocket, what about a game of hazard? Come on, I'll even let you check the dice before you roll them."

Gunshy twitched at the prospect of more gambling, his hand even strayed back towards his money, but then he caught Glory smirking at him. The holier-than-thou bastard.

"Maybe later Llywarch, I need to go bully a clerk." Gunshy looked around, the crowd around the barrel had dissapated, only a few people remaining. Among them were some new ranger, who was looking at the gethering with disdain, a couple new infantryman, Glory, and Nikola. "There you are Nikola." Gunshy nodded to his subordinate. "Lets go yell at someone, come on."

"No gambling on the dice." Glory asked slyly. "A fool like you never passes up a dice game."

"The only fool here is the one I'm talking to you prancing effete son of a mule." Gunshy responded then made a rude gesture before Glory could reply, and hurried off.

Gunshy and Nikola headed to the entrance to the main hold.

“Rangers, aft quarterdeck! Spread the word.”

Andrew clucks at the call, and gets up. He walks to the aft deck, more cradling than holding his crossbow, to protect against accidental damage that seems all too likely to occur. Assuredly he does not trust ships, or sailors, to be mindful of what is his. On purpose, perhaps, he takes his time on the way, to see the others there. The one with the bandaged eye – much like the Sergeant himself – the older and the younger, some standing still as the ship allowed, others somewhat restless. Jonathon gives him, and another laggard, a look over as they join the circle, and then it begins.

Why is it he wonders, a moment later, that officers whatever their stripe seem to need to make some sort of spectacle? For a moment he sees a picture of himself standing there, in the front, but shoves it away.

“Well gentlemen,” the Sergeant begins, and Andrew smiles wryly, and then lets the tired phrases wash over him like familiar air, the same injunctions and pronouncements. The first time was important, the second mildly interesting, but by now it was simply part of the rhythm, a thing that would be missed if taken away, but taken for granted so long as it remains.

He notes that Renault does not actually say where they are going, perhaps because he assumes that any Rangers worth their salt would have heard the word ‘Malta’ at least half a dozen times by now. A testing man, he thinks, with approval. He had been commanded by fools enough – once really was enough – to appreciate being part of a professional unit.

“Okay with that being said we’re going to work on our silent signals. Veterans work with the new recruits and teach them the signs. Even you grunts that have moved over will need to know our pretty specific signs now. While you have a good base to work from you will need to learn the new signs for troop types and distances.”

And that was really, from Andrew’s perspective, the only thing of note in the whole business. He looks about. Most of the other men here seemed friendly enough, and he had made a few acquaintances. He smiles at one, and nods a greeting, and squatting down with their backs comfortably against a rail they begin to go over the basics. Andrew keeps aware of the sergeant, and sees him speak to the bandaged one.

Then he sees another man speak to the Sergeant, and then to one of the other officers. He seemed … different, though for the moment he cannot place his finger on it. He smiles slightly, and waves Andre over. “Learning is more fun together. I’m Andrew,” he greets, and then looks around, "any other new guys here?"

Last edited:
Main Deck

Raymond heaved himself off the deck with a loud rumble that managed to be both corpulent and haughty. He was topless and barefoot in tights and his girth spilled everywhere around his waist, shaking up and down, undulating, revolving in the air. It was not his fault. He informed the quartermaster well in advance that he would require special armor to accommodate his mighty size, and had been both shocked and indignant to find it had not been done to his specifications, lined with silk, but was instead unwieldy, uncomfortable and much too heavy.

Between that, not having his place at this Captain’s side, the scorching red burns that had appeared all over his white skin and having lost his blouse to the damnable pirates, all he wanted was a little peace and quiet to take a nap and regain his energies.

But they could not even allow him that, the barbarians. He eyed Radziwill and the lyre playing woman Fredrick with a scratch of his belly.

“You heard the man,” he barked. “Get to work.” And then he stomped off to find the lieutenant, for there were a few things that needed to get straight and he was going to do the straightening.

It didn’t take long to find him, below decks, for he had made quick friends with many of the Corsairs, and when he did he drew himself up to his full height, or at least as much of it as his poor back muscles could manage.

“You! Half-breed. Whatever they’re calling lieutenants these days.“

Cai turned, reluctantly, and eyed the heaving, pale flesh in front of him with slight amusement.

“Lieutenant Cai, lancer.“

“I didn’t ask your name.“ He drew himself up again and took a deep breath. “It is not enough, apparently, that you did not provide me with my own quarters. Only a plank of rotting wood on this ship full of bottom-feeding pirates, surrounded by peasants and half-naked pygmies from God knows what stinking island on the other side of the world where they couldn't wear clothes because the dragons were constantly burning them off and they worshiped giant statues of foreheads and you force me to eat mold infested crackers crawling with whatever worms have too much self-respect to live in your hair. Not that I could eat anyway. No. Not with the smell of sweat and shit and that distinct natural odor you peasants have wafting in this hot, steaming air not fit for a Frenchman of Normandie. Now I am being roused from my sleep, I, a Knight of the Order of St. John, by the likes of you? To do some dung shoveling page’s errand? This Captain Robertson is of noble birth, I believe, and so I can’t imagine that he is aware of the indignities to which I am being subjected. I demand to speak with him immediately! I will not...”

Chen held up a hand in the dead quiet that had come up around them, and fixed the lapsed Knight with a gaze that silenced even his flapping gums. He waited a moment. And then he spoke.

July 24, 1565 - At Sea

He smiles slightly, and waves Andre over. “Learning is more fun together. I’m Andrew,” he greets, and then looks around, "any other new guys here?"

Andre shrugs," My name is Andre. I don't really know who else is new around here other than myself. I arrived just in time to get on this tub."

"So what do you think so far?" Andrew inquired mildly.

"Not sure what to think," Andre admitted," Haven't been in the company long enough to truly form an opinion. What I do know is that this hand signal thing ought to be very useful in the field. Didn't have anything like that in the Neapolitan scouts."

"So that is where you served before?" Andrew wanted to kick himself the moment the words escaped his lips.

Andre's gaze began to narrow before clearing," I guess I did mention I was in that army, didn't I? Yes, for ten years I served. First in the cavalry for about seven years and three in the scouts."

"What made you decide to join the Free Company?"

"I had ancestors who were a part of the company," Andre almost smiled," I decided it was about time for the family to renew it's ties to the company. What about you, oh asker of many questions?"

July 24, 1565 - Somewhere East of Malta

Frederick had spent much of the day playing his assortment of memorized songs but even that pleasure grew stale. As he moved the lute from his lap, he felt his tired muscles, the same tired that accompanied the prolonged use of a limb through his arms and slightly in his back. The real relief of his stagnant body came when he stood and stretched himself as far as he could reach into the sky.

However as soon as he had regained his confort, a yell came out from the oriental of a meeting for the light cavalry. Frederick quickly put away his lute and rushed over to the gathering group of men that crowded around the easterner. In his rush, he failed to recognize how unkempt he looked after traveling on a ship and sleeping on the deck. His cotton trousers were barely being held up by the worn leather belt around his waist and the fine linen shirt that had survived so much in Italy began to finally show signs of its age.

Despite the fact that he was impoverished and that he was beginning to look like it more and more, the other men seemed to think that he had some money saved somewhere. Frederick at first didnt understand until he realized that compared to most of his fellow "comrades", he looked like a prince. The fact that he had obtained much of his clothes through "borrowing" from friends didnt matter.

So as he stood amongst his "brothers" in arms, rubbing his clean shaven chin[something he often did if not more then the average man when trying to deduce situations], he noticed that many around him suffered from bouts of staring, particulary at him. He was used to the attention he seemed to get from the other grunts, which of course attributed to his obvious worldliness. His face showed his north German roots very well, his eyes carried a brooding darkness, while his nose and mouth maintained a fine balance that gave him decent looks. Blond was a rare color it seemed for hair, on board a ship that carried many Mediterranean men with few exceptions. His hair reached the upper half of his neck and was if not kept tied would come over his face*.

So there he stoof awaiting his commanding officer, an oriental of an origin he could not quite discover. He knew of Jipon[Japan] from the constant reports of Portuguese and Dutch priests and of course their was China in which little was known except that silk had flowed from there for centuries. Nonetheless he was their commander and he didnt have any reason to think lower of him before he actually knew the man.

Last edited:
July 24, 1565 - Eastern Mediterranean

Erik stood impassively for most of Diego's talk, chuckling at his comment about the musketeers firing in the wrong direction. As the Spaniard finished, Erik spoke up calmly.

"Spain does indeed have experience with this old war." He said with a smile. As Erik expected, Diego turned to him, a quizzical expression spread across his face. "You'd never guess it, but I was born in South-eastern Spain. My mother is a Spanish noble, rather important locally, though our holdings are not of note on a grand scale. I served in the Spanish army myself for a time. It was, I should think, quite an experience.

"But enough of that, we must discuss the training of our men. Time will be limited, what with the proximity of the Turks. It is conceivable they have already laid siege, and we must be ready. Tell me of your plans."

Arpad found himself back near the aft quarterdeck, where some of the Rangers were still gathering, as his mind began to clear. He pulled out his waterskin, removed the bandage over where his left eye had been, and began to clean out the socket...it had started to itch if it went too long without a rinse. Every time he poured the water in though, it felt like he was stabbing himself in the brain, and he bent over the deck in pain as he blotted the small gobs of blood that came loose with the cleaning off of his face. Pouring in more water and going back at the socket with the cloth, he grimaced in pain again and forced himself to re-think the days events just to keep his mind off of it.

What did that arrogant artillerist know about 'wanting it more'? Nothing, thought the Hungarian. Nothing compared to what you know. He began to think about the analogy the fool had made...that the Free Company was the smaller fighter, and the Turk the larger, but eyeless, opponent. If the bird analogy was used, then the omen for the Free Company was good. But if he used his own personal experience...

The Magyar shuddered involuntarily. In his own experience, the larger fighter had lost the eye, but his smaller prey had been killed regardless. Perhaps that would be their fate here, on Malta; with their paltry numbers, maybe they would take out the eye of the Turks...and be strangled nonetheless.

He shook his head, he had to stop thinking about it, he would drive himself insane. Or maybe he already was. The thought was almost comforting, but he refused to allow himself to hang onto it. He needed to find a friendly face, or at least someone to pass the time with. So far, the rest of the Company seemed like a bunch of asses, so he decided to focus on the Rangers. Perhaps they'd share a mutual understanding. He smirked, figuring that judging by his experience so far the chance was slim...but decided he had little option otherwise.

Sliding into a group of veterans, he noticed a couple of the Rangers talking as if they were just meeting. Might not be a bad time. One of them was the flamboyantly dressed fellow, and Arpad began to hope he had not initially judged the man too harshly...after all, they'd not even spoken. Perhaps he had gone insane after all. For the 8th time that day, he began to hope he had...it would make life so much easier. He began going through the hand signals again, making sure he had them down, and hoping against hope he'd fare a little better among this crowd...was not being called a freak or cripple too much to hope for? Probably.

Captain watched Saul al-Din descend from the lateen rigging with such ease he was momentarily envious. Once on deck, the corsair leader walked with a seaman’s gait that belied his fourty some-odd years. The man known to many as "Red Hand" was as tall as David, and just as well built. But where David sported a full head of sandy blonde hair, Red Hand was bald. Bald except for a pair of black eyebrows slashed across his brow.

Reaching the quarterdeck, Red Hand paused, placing his hand against his chest, then took the steps two at a time. He joined Captain just as Henri hurried past on some urgent errand, a boy running after.

Red Hand stated, “You told your men.”

“I did. Secrecy’s no longer important. Palermo was different. No telling how many Turkish spies worked the docks. King Phillip’s negotiator insisted on silence, anyway. They’re apparently raising an army to relieve the Knights.”

“So I gathered.”

Captain raised an eyebrow.

“I have my sources. I wouldn’t be very good at what I do if I didn’t.”

Captain grinned. “True.” He watched his men for a moment longer, then said, “You have a good map of the area?”

Red Hand led Captain into the aftcastle and threw open a chest. Rummaging quickly, he grunted, and returned with a scroll, laying it flat and bracing the corners with tankards and plates.

Captain leaned forward. “Where are we now?”

Red Hand pointed to a spot east and slightly north of Malta. “About here.”

Captain stroked his chin. “Before we left Palermo our intelligence had the Turkish fleet sailing for the Bay of Marsaxlokk.” He dragged his finger down the right side of the island until he reached an indentation. “Here.”

“But you’re not sure.”

‘No, I’m not. Apparently old Mustafa Pasha commands the army, and a young admiral named Pialo…”

“Piali. Piali Pasha.”

Captain paused.

Red Hand shrugged. “We’ve had our run-ins. Mustafa, wasn’t he at Rhodes?”

“He was. It’s said he botched the siege, and now he’s begged Suleyman personally to lead this campaign.”

“A suspect way to gain redemption. So, what are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking, who is in charge?”

Saul was not a stupid man. “Ah.” He leaned on his knuckles. “Being a creature of the land, where would you attack?”

Captain pointed to the Bay of Marsaxlokk. “I would beach here, as our intelligence indicates, and assault both Senglea and Birgu from the east.” Reaching for a decanter, he poured two goblets of wine. It was at that moment he noticed the young boy Stiles, sitting off in the corner writing in his book. “What are you doing?”

The boy looked up, all red hair and freckles. “Recording what you’re saying, sir. Want me to stop?”

“No, no. Keep writing.” He handed over a goblet to Saul. “As a man born to the sea, where would you go?”

The corsair didn’t hesitate. He pointed at Marsamuscetto Bay, just on the north side of the Grand Harbour and the Knight’s fortifications. “Here. The weather’s far less dangerous. The Turk will have enough trouble resupplying their army without having half of it destroyed in some freak storm.”

Captain stroked his chin again. “If they land there, they’ll be forced to siege Fort St. Elmo.” He shook his head. “What a waste of resources that would be.” He placed his hands on his hips. “So, that’s the quandary, and once again, the question. Who’s in charge?”

Red Hand drained his goblet and set it down. “I can send two fast ships to scout Marsamuscetto Bay. If the fleet’s not there, we can sail into the Grand Harbour right under the Turk’s big nose.”

“And if it is there, we can continue south and west.”

“Care to enlighten me?”

“Not yet. As you say, best to scout the bay first.”

Red Hand shrugged. “You're paying." He looked at the map. "From where we are, it shouldn’t take more than a day at the most for two ships to scout and return. I’m signalling my Captains for a meeting. I won’t have to ask for volunteers, they’ll all want the honour.”

July 24, 1565 - At Sea

Nikola Gozi-Gucetich or simply "Nikola" to his friend, rolled his eyes as he went into the main hold, he was at best bit irritated at this day. It seems that nothing goes right for him, as a man where everythings go just fine for him make him more annoyed and so thus the need to unleash his bite on some poor blameless man... So what he is... right now he is a gunner, a far cry what he used to be at Dubrovnik, his home, although he did served as bombardier in Dubrovnik but that was merely a complusory military service but still the experience helped him to join this Free Company to flee his enemies. Normally he will turn his nose up at this very idea, but regrettably, Lady Fortune must be laughing up her sleeve and especially his enemies as well...

He shook his head quickly as to wave off bad spirts, he want to forget his damned past, not to dwell on it. On the other hand, his past did gave him an advantage on sea compared to other poor landlubbers, he smirked every time he saw someone emptying their meals and more over the railing. How he pity these fools...

Ah, here one of these fools, he glanced at greenish pale man who rushing to the deck to impart his meals to sea... His thoughts suddenly turn to Malta, he frowned at the name, not surprising since he dislike the name and the current controllers a bit, he certainly do not approve of slaves, it is common knowledge that Knights kept slaves so they will fight over the souls and bloods of these slaves. He shuddered at the thoughts for a moment, life of a slave is the worst life to have...

He glanced at Gunshy for a moment... he is not in the position of lower class that long, and sighed sadly, he loved to gamble, after all money is no object to like of him but now, he is just a gunner...

Grinning at that, his only hope that this time, things will go lot smoothly than usual at the moment...

July 24, 1565 - At Sea

Sliding into a group of veterans, he noticed a couple of the Rangers talking as if they were just meeting. Might not be a bad time. One of them was the flamboyantly dressed fellow, and Arpad began to hope he had not initially judged the man too harshly...after all, they'd not even spoken. Perhaps he had gone insane after all. For the 8th time that day, he began to hope he had...it would make life so much easier. He began going through the hand signals again, making sure he had them down, and hoping against hope he'd fare a little better among this crowd...was not being called a freak or cripple too much to hope for? Probably.

Andre noticed the one eyed man approaching and raised a brow toward Andrew," We've got company."

"So it appears," Andrew agreed," Welcome to our little conclave, I am Andrew, this is Andre."

"Arpad," the one eyed man looked somewhat suspiciously at Andre and his flamboyant attire.

Andre noticed the look and ignored it, he was used to people looking askance at his choice of apparel," So, have you been practicing the hand signs?"

"Of course," Arpad nodded, still unsure of the man.

"So what do you think of our destination and apparent foe?" Andre inquired of the one eyed man.

"Andre, Andrew, and Arpad" said the Hungarian, a smile glimmering along his lips. "An interesting set of names, we are. Pleased to meet you both."

"So what do you think of our destination and apparent foe?" Andre inquired of the one eyed man.

"Our destination, I've never heard of. As for our foe...well, the Turk and I have had our run-ins. I'm a Magyar...I've slit more than one Turkish throat in my time." Mostly just to steal their treasures, he thought to himself, but left that part out. He also left out a lot of non-Turkish throats...in the early days he had been so angry, so full of indiscriminate hate. It was catching up with him now, so much he regretted. So many.

"I guess you could say I served as an irregular in Hungary before I came here" Arpad continued. It was sort of true. He had been in Hungary, at least. Though 'serve' was a slightly misleading term, unless one counted himself. "Moved up and down the riverway there causing trouble...they called us the Ghosts of the Danube." He smiled...that part had been true, if misleading, except for the plural bit. He'd been the only one. He just wreaked enough havoc to make it look like more.

"So what brought you to Sicily then?" Andre asked, and Arpad became dimly aware of the fact that he had gone a little pale.

"Oh...unfinished business. But that's over and done with now" came the Hungarian's hasty reply. Over and done with...except that it haunted him at night. "Well...that's enough about me, no? Where are you two from, what tales of glory do you bring to the Free Company? I've got a bottle of wine, it's a good vintage for swapping stories..." He grinned, a bit nervous. It had been so long since he'd had actual human company, he found he was nearly giddy. And surprisingly, somewhat scared. Arpad reached into his bag and brought out an unmarked bottle of red wine, then started to pull out the cork. "So?"

Chen held up a hand in the dead quiet that had come up around them, and fixed the lapsed Knight with a gaze that silenced even his flapping gums. He waited a moment. And then he spoke.

"I believe you forgot to ask permission to enter?"

"I..I.. permission?! Now look here, you.." Raymond spluttered out, his face turning more red than it already was But Cai had already turned his back to the Knight.

Furious, the Knight took a step forward and put one hand on Cai's shoulder, meaning to spin this insolent Chin about and give him a piece of mind. He was however unprepared for Cai to suddenly grab him by the wrist and put in a wrist lock.

"Argh, let me go, you bastard!" Raymond grunted in pain.

Cai spoke in a mild tone," Listen to me and listen good cause I will only say it once. Here in the Free Company, I don't give a damn if you are born of the lowest rank or the son of a Emperor. Here as long as you are under my command, I treat everyone equally. So if Sergeant Orgedai or I tell you to do something, you will do it without complaints or by God I will have you used as the anchor for this ship, you understand me?"

When Ramond chose not to reply, Cai increased the intensity on the lock.

"Alright alright!! I get the message! Now let me go!"

Cai continued to apply pressure on the wrist.

Raymond breathing heavily now grunted out one more word," SIR!"

Cai finally released his lock. " Very good. We will make a Free Company man out of you yet. Now I believe you have a task to do?"

Raymond walked out, trying to retain some shreads of dignity.

I have a long way to go with this one, thought Cai shaking his head. In the meantime, he had a meeting to attend. He picked up his stuff and made his way up.

Boards creaked and shifting boxes made noises that sounded suspicious to a casual listenter as the pair wound their way through the main hold. Gunshy led, occasionally muttering too himself or stopping to peer intently at one of the boxes.

"Mmmm, God himself doesn't even know what's in that crate, sometimes I think Nathaniel is trying to drive me insane by refusing to package anything in a code I understand. Maybe he's just trying to drive me insane by being an officious pain in the ass. In fact, maybe he's...oh, it's powder. I see, he labeled it in that code we used in...hmmm." The rambling in fact made very little sense, Nikola it seemed, had given up even attempting to listen and was just lounging against another stack fo crates watching his Lieutenant.

Gunshy squinted, looking at the floorboards around the crate. They were a little damper than he would have liked, but, they were floating in the middle of the Mediterranean. It would do.

For no apparent reason whatsoever, Gunshy began to curse colorfully.

Mostly he was fretting because he didn't like his beloved artillery to be out of his sight. The only half-culvern they even had on boards was Dai the Death, better known as Llywarch's mistress. There were another three half-culverns: the Belle D'Ancona, De Bloomfields Revenge,and Shildzebrecher. Not too mention a pair of massive siege cannon which went by the nom de guerre's of Himmelsfeuer and Requiem, as well as other toys and nasty weapons.

As well as cursing under his breath, moderate arm waving and hand gestures were added.

In fact, Gunshy was getting a little anxious. He loved to tinker with his toys, and despite the fact he had served with only De Bloomfield and Requiem before he'd been made Lieutenant after a moderate sized disaster, he made it his job to become intimately familiar with the idiosyncrasies of all the guns. Most non artillerymen failed to understand the personality that developed with each gun, the names they had, that they had been given, were never accidents or chance decisions.

Abruptly Gunshy's rambling and marginally coherent thought process, as well as his cursing and increasingly erratic arm waving, were all interrupted. "Excuse me sir, your not authorized to be down here."

The short lieutenant turned, and stared hard at young clerk who had barged in on him. Several possible avenues of response flicked through Gunshy's mind. "Are you the idiot who tried to stop Nikola here from double checking our powder supplies?" He roared.

"N..no...no sir." The clerk stammered. "I just got here a few minutes ago, William was overseeing this section before.

"Well, I don't care who it was. It's bad enough being couped up on this ship and knowing that my guns are being fondled by someone elses dirty hands and probably being bathed in salt water every few minutes, but Ill be damned before I let Mr. Martel." That with a sneer. "Tell me that my men can't even check our own powder supplies.

"But sir, I'm just following orders I mean, sir, please..."

"Fine, Ill go right to the source then, Nikola, make yourself busy somewhere, Martel won't like it if I barge in there with an audience." Gunshy made a flipping gesture with his hand. "Now you." He pointed at the clerk. "Take me to him."

Gushy went back to cursing under his breath.

July 24, Early Evening

The Fatima

Amina was the first to arrive, and Saul could feel her irritation at leaving the Golden Sun from across the wide gulf still between them. If he was not certain that she was his daughter before, her discomfort at being anywhere but her own foredeck had been ample evidence. Most of his other commanders were relieved when they met, either aboard the Fatima or at the Red Fingers. The company of other officers. The freedom, for a short while, from the responsibility for hundreds, sometimes many hundreds, of lives. The urbanity of it, over basins of qahwa. quite removed from the corsair's day. And even the most seasoned sailors breathed a deep secret breath in the ports, few and far between. But not Amina. As far as he knew, she had not once disembarked at Palermo.

But then, neither had he, except where official business demanded it. He had only seen her once, when their flotillas, his from Tunis, hers from Cyprus, rendezvoused just south of the city, and he missed her terribly, yet he knew he had no one to blame but himself. It was his blood in her veins. Amara, daughter of the Sahara, hadn’t even liked river boats. Just as Amina had her eyes, Amina had his nose for the salt spray. And once she had named her own vessel, the galiot Daddy’s Test when she was twelve, Neptune had replaced him as her father and the Mediterranean had become the mother she knew far better than the one who had died when she was small. Her crew were her children, the stars that guided her were her companions, and her ship was her mate. That was the way of things for them, people of the waves.

He smiled slightly. What derision they showed these retching mercenaries for not having sea legs. There are those of us, he thought, who have nothing but.

“Why isn’t she coming closer?” Captain Robertson asked, from his place at Saul’s side. “She doesn’t mean to extend a bridge at that distance? Wouldn’t that make it difficult for her to return in case of trouble?”

Saul chuckled. The main purpose of his presence was to introduce himself to the senior commanders of the fleet, but he was not ashamed at taking pleasure in the younger man’s uncertainty. Captain of the most formidable soldiers in Europe he may be, but a Captain of soldiers nonetheless.

“Yes, it would. But we corsairs are at times forced to... Do things quickly, you understand. Watch, Robertson, and you shall see.”

Just then, David heard a short piercing bird call from the main mast. When he looked up he saw the hunched, bony old man the pirates called Seer. He shot Saul a questioning glance. The other grinned crookedly.

“At times, we’re forced to do them quietly as well.”

Seer then, to David’s astonishment, launched a thin, fibrous rope over to the Golden Sun’s main mast, where he now saw a woman take hold of one end.

“Isn’t that your man, Seer?”

Saul nodded with a smile.

“Our Master of the Sails.” He waited a beat. “And our lookout.”

“You mean to tell me that for these past days our safety has been in the hands of a blind lookout?”

“I cannot explain it to you, Robertson, and I won’t claim to understand it myself. He hears the world and feels the changes of the air on his face. All I can say for certain is that he had the job when I found him, and in twenty years I’ve never had a reason to replace him. You can see for yourself. However he does it, he does it.”

David thought this over a moment, but he had to admit the corsair had a point. He could now see the woman had straightened up and taken a firm two handed grip on the rope.

“She’s going to swing? At that distance?”

“She is.”

“Isn’t that dangerous?”

“In the heat of combat or the dead of night, it is far less dangerous than the alternative.” He arched an eyebrow as the younger man briefly considered what activities for which this would be useful in the dead of night.

“But for a woman?”

“This is for your benefit, Robertson,” Saul chuckled. “In the usual way, it takes a matter of seconds, and Amina can do it with a pistol in one hand.”

David started to respond, but was cut off as Red Hand’s daughter jumped, fell for an agonizing moment and then curved smoothly toward them. At the last, where the arc fell below the line of the deck, she arched upward and let go, landing on her feet a meter from where they were standing.

“You were off,” Saul said, “by some distance.”

Robertson gaped at him, but Amina smiled. He noticed quickly all the other men near them were gaping instead at her.

“I didn’t want to scare our earth worm here.” She extended a hand to David and seemed not at all surprised when he kissed it, in the European manner. “Though now I am not sure. Perhaps he would’ve caught me in his arms, hmm?”

Saul laughed.

“David Robertson, this is Captain Amina Diarra, Rais of the Corsairs of the Red Hand. Amina, this is Captain David Robertson, commander of the Free Company.”

“Charmed, Rais,” David said, eying her appraisingly. She was a strikingly beautiful woman. He would guess no older than eighteen. Her skin was darker than her father’s, with a hint of the black found among the Africans, but her hair hung half the length of her back in the style of the Arabs. He imagined it was a source of trouble on a sailing ship, but judging by the affect she was having on his men it was probably a more than fair exchange.

She wore the same billowing trousers as her father, though hers were a pale gold in keeping with her ship. Among pirates, he’d half expected her to be topless, but she wore a light tunic from her mid-stomach over her breasts, held together by a single, thin strap around her waist and loops on her upper arms, leaving her long back bare. But though she was beautiful and flirtatious, certainly, there was an edge to her. Like her father’s. Serious and hard. The edge of command. But in her was menace in it, and fire.

Of course, it could simply be that, unlike her father, who on his ship appeared unarmed though David was certain he wasn’t, she was armed to the teeth. Armed not simply to be effective, but for display. He wondered for a moment if this was the way of Corsairs, bearing their weapons on any ship that wasn’t their own. Even a friendly ship.

Even a father’s ship.

“ The Al-Rais stands on formality too much, Captain Robertson. We are not on my ship, nor are we even in the presence of our subordinates. You may call me Amina.”

“And you may call me David, Amina.”

“She admonishes me for my formality in the same breath she addresses her father as a lord,” Saul chuckled. “On his own ship.”

“Yes, on your ship. We could have had this chat on mine, you know.” Her eyes flashed as she growled, and that long hair seemed to tremble a bit. He couldn’t see how she managed it on the rigging.

“Protocol, my dear. This is the flagship. And speaking of which, have you had any of the Captains aboard your ship since Cyprus?”

“I haven’t. We cut all contact as per your orders until Palermo, and since then we’ve held back to protect the transports. We came within distance of Farooq yesterday, but the winds were up.”

“I suppose that is to be expected.” Saul nodded. “Nonetheless, the silence troubles me.”

“All ships arrived at the rendezvous on time. They’ve signaled clear daily. I have received reports from Ali at regular intervals for the past six months. I see no reason to worry.”

Saul glanced at David, as if remembering he was there, and smiled.

“We are friends here, I suppose. Come, it will be a while yet before the others arrive and I don’t believe, Captain Robertson, you have ever had a drink like ours. I think your people call it coffee and...”

“Rais, Rais, the Seer would like to see... I mean, well, he would like you to see him... I mean...” The boy who had interrupted flustered and then looked up at the two large men staring down at him. “Excuse me, sir, Captain, sir, a message, sir, for the Rais, sir.”

“At ease, son,” Saul said, and then he glanced at Amina.

“More conspiracies, I would guess,” she said. “I’ll be in time for the council.”

Red Hand nodded and she fell into step with the boy, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. He was from Northern Europe, David guessed, and his pale skin turned the color of red wine at her touch. He chuckled, lightly, before she threw a look at him over her shoulder.

“A scarf, Captain.”

“Pardon?”

“A scarf. On my head. You looked curious about my hair. I tie it beneath a scarf.”

And with that, she was gone. A trail of love-sick mercenaries in her wake.

“Come,” Saul said, with a grin. “We will greet the others.”

~

Robertson was impressed, but more than that his curiosity was piqued. In their familial moment the two had dropped their guard and revealed something to him. Only the Fatima and the transports had docked at Palermo, while the Golden Sun had come in for the train and left the day before. That was why he hadn’t met any of the other Captains. He had assumed they were trying to escape the notice of the Italians, but it appeared this policy was in effect before they ever reached Palermo and was relaxed immediately after they left. He was not certain what this meant.

But it was a piece of information, nonetheless, and he got the feeling it was important.

~

There were nine of them. The commanders of his fleet, or what part of it had gathered here. It felt good. To see them after so long. There was an energy, a trust and familiarity, built up over the years they had spent together. Farooq, Captain of the Barbary Blade, commander of the second squad, who had been chained with him all those years ago on the Italian galleys. At fifty seven, his mind and his eyes were still spry, and there wasn’t a sword hand he’d trust more in the fleet, though his body looked a ruin from the oars. Omar, Captain of the Damnation, commander of the fourth squad, who‘d saved Rat‘s life at Naxos. Their mates, Qadir, Captain of the Serpent Raider, and Shahid, Captain of the Devil’s Dog, both of the second squad since its formation, and Lorenzo, Captain of the Wraith, and Shakir, Captain of the Black Fang, of the recently formed fourth squad. Their Rais, Diego Ramirez Covas, who believed Saul did not know he was Amina‘s lover, Captain of the Oran and perhaps the most popular of them. Handsome and dashing, he was the kindest of men, and at thirty-two was closest in age to Red Hand himself among his three lieutenants, Ali being twenty-six and Amina a mere eighteen. This was a peculiar kinship, particularly with the man defiling his daughter.

Saul smiled at this, but his face fell. As great a force as their presence was the absence of their comrades. He had organized the Red Hand Corsairs into six squadrons the year before, each further combined into three flotillas, one to a region at a time. Of these, only a single full flotilla could be said to be gathered here. Ali was somewhere off Morocco, harassing the Spanish, the very same Spanish who had hired them. He had the fleet’s third Galleass, two of its bergantines and six of its galleys, making up squads three and five. Saul’s own squads, two and four, were here present, along with his transports. Amina and Covas had come alone, leaving squad six and the remaining three bergantines in the East, fulfilling prior commitments. While the Fatima, Golden Sun and Oran made up more than half their firepower, the Council gathered here was a quarter of his senior officers, and among the missing was his third-in-command. It was for the best, of course. He had taken just enough vessels to be cautious, while not so many as to making it impossible to evade the Turks.

But the expense was too great in general. Unless a treasure fleet happened by, to concentrate all the Red Hands together again, except for winter quarters, was to risk financial ruin, not to speak of drawing the ire of the Pasha. Unless things changed, this was the grandest assemblage he was likely to see, and it pained him. If it weren’t for his first mate, Rashid, and Seer, being present as well, the cabin would feel almost empty.

The price of success. But then again, changing things was why they were here. It was just a matter of making them see that.

“You’re a damned fool, boy.” Seer leaned forward from the rafter on which he sat. “A damned fool. On a fool’s errand. And for what? For fool’s gold.”

“Fool’s gold?” Covas smiled gently. “Maybe. But you get ten thousand pieces of fool’s gold together and they’re not for fools anymore.”

“No. No. They’re for corpses. Corpses.”

“I d’know abot all that,” Shahid said. “But I’s a wondrin what we’re doin’ here in the first.”

“What Red Hand has ordered us to do, Shahid,” Omar said.

“I’ot disputin that. Only wonderin’ why.”

“The King of Spain has already paid us handsomely, and the Free Company owes its share,” Rashid said. “Even if the Habsburg bastard cheats us out of the other half, we’ve made a fine profit.”

“We’d have made a fine profit riding the waves like Corsairs, too, Rat,” Seer said. “And we’d have more trouble dying.”

“How much of that would the Pasha take? And then the God damn Sultan on top and every dick-less clerk in the palace. No offense, Amina.”

“None taken,” she said, smiling and waving him off. Saul could tell she was enjoying this.

“I hate say Saul, I wondering same,” Farooq broke in. “We usually not gondolas. Guard Venetian convoy can see. Fetch same price, too. But transing dogs ourself?”

“Would you trust the Venetians, Farooq?” Amina asked. “I wouldn’t.”

“Seems like that’s the Free Company’s problem,” Qadir said. “Not ours.”

“Venetians would already be loading Turkish gold by now,” Lorenzo said.

“And the Turks would be loading Free Company slaves,” Shakir added.

Qadir shrugged.

“That would be their problem.”

“Now this is our problem,” Lorenzo said. “There’s no sense in debating it. We’re already here.”

“Convenient that. Top secret silence for months and then we’re in council after it’s too late to do a thing about it.”

“And what would you have done, Qadir?” Amina asked, grinning maliciously. “From where I sit, your only option was to swim. In this fleet, the men go where Red Hand goes.”

“And in Arabia the women go silent when the men speak.”

“Not all of Arabia,” Omar said, sharply. “Watch your tongue.”

“Relax, Omar.” Amina’s grin broadened. “Qadir’s just upset because his cabin boy has the rash.”

“Jezabel.”

“I might say the same.”

“Enough.” Saul’s gaze drifted over all of them. “We are here because we are paid to be here.”

“No! No! Damnable boy. You let them change our subject. Tell them. Tell them! We are here because you are a fool who means to fight the Sultan. Tell them!”

Covas and Rat held their breath. Amina looked at him expectantly. The rest fell silent and waited. After a moment, Farooq spoke up.

“This true my friend? Fight Turk?”

“I hate the Pasha as much as you, Red Hand,” Lorenzo said. He swore in Catalan and spit. “More. But we don’t stand a chance against him, not as long as the Sultan is buggering him. And we’re on the thin side. Hell, half that maw out there is Algerian.”

“Yes! Yes! Andalusian speaks the truth,” Seer said. Lorenzo grimaced.

“We corsairs. Find ships. Take them. That all.”

“Except the Pasha is taking the ships,” Covas said.

“And the gold and the silver and the armor and the spice and the fucking biscuits,” Rat sneered. “Sorry, Amina.”

“Fucking biscuits is right. Don’t apologize.” She leaned back and crossed her legs. “But you are all missing the point. Whether we can or should challenge the Pasha is irrelevant. We are not challenging the Pasha. We are playing ferry for mercenaries and running the largest blockade the world has seen in any of your lifetimes. The question is what it gains us, and whether it is worth what the Pasha will do to us if we are discovered.”

“And what do you say, Amina?” Covas asked, quietly.

“I have had my say already,” she said, equally quiet, her eyes blazing dead aim at Saul. “More than once. Now I say the Rat is right. We are here. We have a contract. We will fulfill it. But after the Company is landed at Malta, I would like to return to business.”

There was a silence, and Saul knew this was the last one. It was now or never. He rarely opened his authority to debate and vote, but he was a Corsair. Red Hand or not, he was a Corsair. And this they must go in together. Though he knew without looking at their faces that with Amina against him, he had already lost.

“I follow Red Hand,” Omar said, at last. “As do my men. If he leads us to Mecca and orders us to burn it to the ground, I will follow him still.”

“Shit to the Pasha,” Rat spat.

Covas eyed Saul and Amina before he spoke.

“Our city is ruled by the Turks. Our ships are rowed by slaves, Spanish, Berber, Moor and Arab alike, for distant causes. Men and women no longer look to their own hearts but to Istanbul. Even the seas have lost their liberty. I for one am willing to fight.”

They were strong words. But they were token. He had seen Amina nod to the man, almost imperceptibly. She knew, too.

He held up his hand.

“The rest may hold their peace. Though my daughter may not believe it, I have every intention of leaving Malta when the last of the Company have disembarked. We have not been paid for the return voyage and so we are under no obligation. Our purpose here is solely monetary. The fall of the Knights of St. John will place the Western Seas as fully at the mercy of the Sultan as the Eastern, if not moreso without the Venetians to keep him in check. I believe this is bad for business. We will not, however, go further than our obligations. I have already acquired sources in Provencal, where we will put Diego’s plan in practice when we are through here. A few more days, my friends, and we will be gone from this place.”

Seer shook his head, but the rest were satisfied, it seemed, and ready now, finally, to return to the matter at hand.

“What’s the look of things?” Omar asked.

“The Captain has charged us to verify his intelligence. As I’m not eager to run into the Turkish Armada, we’ll do so with all haste. Diego, you’ll take the Oran and the Barbary Blade south east to Marsamuscetto Bay. You’re to thoroughly...”

“I’ll go,” Amina interrupted. “I tire of babysitting cooks and medicos anyway.”

“You’ll go?” Saul arched an eyebrow. “We need the Golden Sun with the fleet. You’ll take the Oran then?”

Her brow furrowed in distaste, but she nodded.

“No. As a matter of fact, I’d like you to remain here and take charge of the guns. If things disintegrate, the Fatima will have to provide the cover fire to protect the civilians. The Sun will beat a hasty retreat.”

Amina appeared ready to argue, but his tone was firm.

“Yes, sir.” She glanced at Colvas and her eyes clouded over for a moment, the pain in them evident.

“I watch him lady,” Farooq whispered, quietly, so that none of the others heard. “No worry.”

Saul saw her straighten up and told himself to remember to thank the broken down old man.

“As I was saying, the two of you are to make absolutely certain there are no Turkish ships in the area. None. I want to know about fishermen, is that understood?”

“Yes, sir,” Colvas said, his eyes firmly on Amina.

“As soon as the survey is complete, the Barbary Blade will split off and return to the fleet at full speed.”

There was a hush, but he was Al-Rais again, and there would be no argument.

“Good. Is there anything else?”

Rat looked around at his comrades, and it became all too clear that none of them would ask the question on all their minds. Amina had likely fought this battle and lost as it was, and she was gazing at the maps on the always, distant now. It was up to him. The cowards.

“I got one, sir.”

Saul cocked an eyebrow.

“Yes?”

“The Turkish fleet... Is the commander... Saul, is it Piali?”

The older man paused and then nodded.

“If he catches sight of you...”

“I know.” He touched his chest and straightened up. “That’s all, Captains. Diego and Farooq, return to your ships and make ready to depart. I want oars in the water within the hour.”

He stood and made room as the two men left hurriedly to prepare. Then he grinned.

“As for the rest of you, rub rose water beneath your nostrils. We’re having a party. With the officers of the Free Company, and as little as Christians bathe, these bathe least of all.”

Last edited:
July 24, 1565 - Toward Sunset

Llywarch sighed. So much for that game. He rolled his dice for a few minutes, confirming that they were shaved just enough to favor those in the know one time in twenty - enough that few could notice, enough to ensure he came out ahead. He looked about for gamblers, but no one seemed to be interested. The rangers were working, the cavalry would be nobles, and officers only gambled with the lives of their men, not dice. The infantry, he thought, I'll try the infantry later.

He made his way forward, and took a seat on a comfortable pile of robe, 'neath the rigging, in sight of officer country. There the gunner opened his sack and took out one of his real treasures. The book was well-worn, leather cover supple as fine whore's skin. Alberti's De Re aedificatoria, the old masterwork on fortification and siege warfare, each page covered in scribbles and notes, some his, some his mentor's. My treasure and curse, he thought, and why I'm a gunner in a mercenary company.

He sighed again. Well, perhaps not for long. One good thing about mercenaries is that people die, and other people get promoted. He started to read again Alberti's fine words about forts, that they must be "built in uneven lines, like the teeth of a saw." A saw to cut the Turk to pieces.

A squawk pulled him back to the world. The sun was setting. The small tan gull was resting on the rigging near him. "Aye, there you are, my little victor!" The Welshman smiled. "Look here, my friend, I'll make you a deal - you protect me from large one-eyes, and I'll protect you from death by hunger, eh?" Llywarch took a biscut from his sack, bashed it on the deck to collect some large morsels, and scattered them near the gull. The bird looked at him in suspicion for a moment, but hunger overcame caution, and it flew down to eat. "Then I guess it's a deal."

“Tell me of your plans.”

Diego raised a surprised eyebrow at the mentioning of the other man’s tenure in the Spanish army,

“Really where were you at?”

Without waiting for a reply he chuckled to himself,

“Looks like I will be needing the halberd of sergeants again then.”

He turned to the pike sergeant and started drawing rough sketches on the rail,

“I think we need to start with the most basic, how fair are the pikes at ordinary drills? How many are new to the formation? Further, I need to practise the fire drills of the muskets alone to get a feel for them.”

He closed his eyes thinking,

“Then once you and I feel secure that the basics are done we will have to start simple covering formations, how to disperse our firepower under your protection.”

He smiled,

“Most of this is baby steps for the company I’m sure, and for the experienced men, but we need them to get to know each other, and I need to see how they perform.”

He looked out across the deck,

“I have my own men with me, I think they will act as anchor and guide for our unit for now, Rodriquez will hopefully control the second formation of muskets in our formation.”

He looked back at von Stark,

“This should do, how much experience do you have in the pikes, working with external gun formations? And more importantly, where in Spain are you from? You surely do not look Spanish if you do not mind me saying so.”

Aft

"Oh...unfinished business. But that's over and done with now" came the Hungarian's hasty reply. Over and done with...except that it haunted him at night. "Well...that's enough about me, no? Where are you two from, what tales of glory do you bring to the Free Company? I've got a bottle of wine, it's a good vintage for swapping stories..." He grinned, a bit nervous. It had been so long since he'd had actual human company, he found he was nearly giddy. And surprisingly, somewhat scared. Arpad reached into his bag and brought out an unmarked bottle of red wine, then started to pull out the cork. "So?"

Andrew waits for a moment, to make sure he still knows where Renault is. I will not do to be surprised by the scarred man, and then he answers, softly, "I've fought mostly in France and Italy, a little in Scotland." He pauses, seeming to be thinking about something.

"And?" Andre prompts, "Why this company?"

Andrew shrugs, moving his crossbow to sit more easily on his knee. "Well, what mercenary with any self-esteem would not want to be part of this company? Besides. it gives me something to. Why else do men do anything?"

July 24, 1565 - At Sea

Mario watched quietly as Von Stark and Diego conferred over things. He thought about interjecting, but decided to let his capable sergeant do so. They had been together for some years already, and knew each other's minds quite well. Battle tends to do that to men, and they had spent more than one night carousing in whatever local tavern they could find on more than one occasion.

His eyes squinted in the bright light of the sun as he watched the two sergeants talk back and forth. He wasn't really concerned. His command was an elite unit and his men very well trained. As for drilling, the Spaniard would see soon enough how hard Von Stark drilled the men. Even the muskets were involved, though they weren't terribly happy about it. At least in the past, anyway.

This new sergeant just might make them a far more coherent and effective. Not that they weren't already well trained. But it just might be even better after this fellow got them even more trained. The muskets tended to be a bit more arrogant than the elite pikemen. Hard as that was to believe, yet it was still true.

Part of that was his own fault. He did tend to be more focused on his pikes than on the muskets. It wasn't that he didn't know the importance of the muskets, but he wasn't entirely comfortable with the technology involved, let alone the shocking habit of some of the muskets misfiring, causing harsh injuries to the poor bastard who was trying to fire it.

He focused again on the two men and castigated himself for letting his mind wander...

Status
Not open for further replies.