• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey Mett, great updates! Got to catch up since I had missed the last two due to JRTC. Good to see Remus able to fight off Claudius' army at the bridge, and now, with him showing up to his camp personally, things can only look up for the "Dux Bellorum".

I do have a sneaking suspiscion about Barbaria's plans for Selenus...or at least I know what I would do if I were the author. :D

Keep up the great work!

eagles40ra.jpg

May 483

The man held his hands wide, in a deprecating gesture. Remus sighed and motioned for him to continue. Was all of this really necessary? Two hours. Two hours they had used up listening to this man haggle on. Two hours when his army could have been on the march into Latium. Varic was right, however, much as Remus wished it weren’t so. He couldn’t leave Tarentum at his back.

”Great general, we ask for your reassurances, naturally. Speak the word that Tarentum’s ancient customs will be honored and you will never see a city so easily come to your aid.” The man, who still retained some of the old Greek blood which lingered in the south, gazed at him earnestly, if also calculatingly. His robes were far too fine for a campaign in the field, and it couldn’t help remind Remus that men were living well while he and his men struggled.

Idly, Remus turned to his aides, most returning his blank stare, with Varic leaning close to whisper. ”These aren’t the days of the Republic, the fool. Yet you can’t ignore him either. Give him what he wants, and deal with him later.” Remus reared back slightly, as if affronted, but said nothing, not wishing for his guest to overhear. He merely nodded mutely and turned back to the envoy from Tarentum.

It had taken all spring to bring most of southern Italia under his control, convincing – by negotiation and otherwise – that Remus’ cause was just and boded well for the affairs of the peninsula. Of the holdouts, Tarentum was among the most prominent. This meeting here could free up four thousand men for the march north. Claudius’ four thousand. His eyes swept to his old foe, surprised at how well the pair of them was working together. Having invested several cities in the south in textbook if not particularly inspired fashion, he had arrived in camp when called, Varic soon afterwards. Remus had a hint that Varic was more appraised of the movements of Remus’ men than he himself. Regardless, Remus found himself more and more reliant on the veteran commander. Perhaps it was a common Roman background, or simply a soldierly fraternity.

eagles1122mz.jpg

Noticing that his audience was becoming concerned, Remus gestured idly. ”Very well. You have your assurances. Now please attend outside for a moment while I consult. I will be with you shortly.” The diplomatic language left an odd taste on his lips as he uttered the words. That such niceties had a place at a time like this, with armies on the march, and the soul of an empire so precariously close to slipping away. What he wouldn’t give to be in Rome by now!

claudius9wv.jpg
He heard the tent flap close, the short burst of a spring wind silence, and observed Claudius leaning forward. ”Your mind is an open book, Comes. You won’t get into Rome without another fight. It’s clear as dawn, now. And don’t think Odoacer is going to underestimate you this time…as I did,” he said with a churlish laugh, which sounded old despite the general’s youth. He was a year younger than Remus, in fact, yet he struck him as a man weathered beyond his present age.

Picking up a small twig and flicking it with irritation, Remus stood, anxious to at least move his muscles a little, tired of the confining formalities of diplomacy. The tent had never been so crowded, all of his aides and staff craning to observe the proceedings, clearly more enchanted with the high discussions of policy than Remus was. ”Why must we draw this out? I care not what Tarentum does, so long as they back me and hold proper Roman elections.”

Claudius spat and gave a hollow laugh. ”Elections?!? Are we showing the dreams of Cicero again? Or worse…Seneca? Surely the Comes knows…it does not matter the form the fruit takes, only that it hangs from your tree!” He pointed at Remus for emphasis. ”Put a man in the city, someone you can trust. Govern it. Treat the Greeks nicely, if there are any left. But don’t remove your firm hand!” He grabbed a nearby bowl of fruit and began munching on it, smiling to himself.

To Remus’ surprise, Varic was nodding. The pair of them, Varic and Claudius hardly agreed on anything, still holding the old animosity from the days when Claudius was hunting upstarts like Remus and Varic, a few winters ago. Varic’s purpose in camp was less apparent than Claudius. There were rumors that Varic went in and out of Ravenna from time to time, and had the ear of Odoacer. Remus didn’t believe this of course, but knew the man had his own agenda. He had no doubt that Varic’s presence were merely proof that Remus’ cause was in the ascendant. Practical enough, that barbarian, he knew.

Remus turned to him. ”Who will Odoacer put in the field?”

varic24pb.jpg
Varic grinned as if dismissing the question as unimportant, and barely made eye contact with him. ”Oh, probably one of his loyal fellows. Claudius here,” he said with obvious relish, ”has soured the Patrician on Roman types. Your next man, Donatus probably, will fight with much less formality, though his army will be much more imposing. I don’t suppose you’ll be as likely as to fight him at a river crossing.”

Claudius growled but said nothing, standing and walking down the tent.

Remus found the byplay a waste, and frowned at Varic. ”Fine, fine. Just tell me we’re done with the Greek here?”

Now Varic grinned even more, picking at his fingernails with a small knife. ”Oh no, Comes. Now that he’s gotten his price, he’ll stretch it for all it’s worth. Next, I suspect he’ll want you to grant concessions to the city…and then there’s the rivalry with Brundisium. I would not count on a march before dawn, Comes.”

Was he a commander or a foppish lord, Remus thought with anger as he watched Claudius open the tent flap, beckon the envoy back inside.

Last edited:
A very enjoyable update. I found it just the sort of relaxation I needed at this hour and time. I am glad you are still writing.

Ah, the differences between commanding in the field and commanding the State comes to confront dear Remus. At least he's got a good head on his shoulders and some somewhat reliable staffers, right? :)

Varic likely is less loyal than he appears, I would say. But for now, Remus is doing well. But he has much to learn about statesmanship, it seems. Selenus sure could be a help there when he's done with his training ;)

Very nice update Mett, cool to see the problems Remus are having governing as a statesman. It is much easier to command an army than it is to command an Empire it seems. Now just let us hope those damn diplomats soon shut up so he can get his army on the road again. It is time to march to Rome :D

Yes, if Remus could just get back on the field and leave this tedious business up to someone with a far better head, he'd be happy I think.

Without a lot of description or detail you managed to show the difficulties of politics that Remus will only run more into as his campaign gathers steam. And he seems dangerously outclassed by both Varic and even Claudius. For Remus' own sake, I hope he'll learn fast, or he will win the victory for others (Varic, Romulus' mother, maybe even Romulus, Claudius or even Selenus) to enjoy...

Remus' desire for free elections is really misplaced. Not only has the Republic been dead for 500 years, he also seems unable to grasp that his insurrection is not going to succeed if he allows his momentum to dissipate in politicking and bickering. Again, I can only hope he'll learn politics even quicker than he learned military leadership.

At least in the short term trying to restore the Republic would be madness. The bickering and schemeing of the Senate would tear the empire apart without providing any of the leadership it so desperately needs right now. No, only a strong, central authority figure that can rally the support of the people AND the army will have a chance at succeeding. And I'm enjoying Remus' transition from soldier to statesman. Now it's time for an update! :)

banquet0eb.jpg

The music twisted its away amongst the pillars of the vast hall, soft yet titillating, luxuriant yet with a touch of mischief. It was music that spoke of anticipated happiness, or perhaps wishful thinking to some in the room. Selenus was one of those, viewing the festivity around him with an expression of curious disappointment, his arms kept primly to his sides as he sat upon the plush burgundy couch. Around him the various provincial aristocrats, desperately clinging to their hopes and ambitions, swirled in a maelstrom of politics, social games, and sexual tension. The room, vast at it was and far more luridly laid out than Selenus had first remembered seeing it, buzzed with speech was that was a bit too high, too shrill for perfect comfort. Those attending the Lady Barbaria’s feast at the Lucallaneum perhaps felt deep down that they were clinging to an illusion, a wisp of something that had been thought lost for good. Even with squalid reality telling them no, they still came out in exaggerated gaiety, a remembrance of prosperity and position that had lain dormant in the stories of grandparents and beyond.

Selenus struggled to keep his head clear in the midst of it, his head already swimming from the few sips of sweet wine he had been coaxed into taking, his ears taking in the sounds of Latin, the occasional mix of Greek with its peculiar Italian dialect, and the unmistakable sound of other, more guttural languages. If Lady Barbaria thought to turn this into some long-sought bacchanalia, she was sorely miscalculating, judging by the dress and manners of the guests. The robes and dresses were mostly matter-of-fact, with little true color, few in the room able to afford anything like the luxury of fashion. He looked around, trying not to enjoy the soft inviting couch too much, lest he lose himself. Perhaps that was the lady’s intent, another lesson in her sudden and unexplained social education of him, the young farmer’s son. Selenus himself was keeping his distance on the far end of the couch, away from where Barbaria luxuriated and talked with some of her intimate guests. He knew the rumors that were swirling, what some made of his place at the villa. He had no wish to give reality to that gossip. A pawn he certainly felt, but he had no wish to be a toy.

What had led him here, he wondered? It was so evident by deed and wish that his place was at the Decurio’s side. No, the Comes, he thought with a silent smile that gave lie to everything around him. And yet something had loosened within him in Bruttium. That battle, the dead around him, he had certainly lost something. Not his faith. Ita vero, he still believed in Remus implicitly, in the Lord, and in himself. But something had given. Remus had kept him off the battlefield and when he had left the Lucallaneum, Selenus found himself bound to the side of someone far more manipulative than he’d ever experienced. He peeked over at Barbaria, who winked at him and resumed speaking to one of the local lords of the Campanian latifundia – those which hadn’t been burned by the passing armies. She seemed to know precisely what he thought and didn’t seem to care.

Of course there were benefits to his stay here, he knew. The small library was impressive, and the lady seemed to use it as a means of sorts, the way he remembered rewarding Peperna the young cow with a carrot whenever she did something correctly. Her son Romulus was fascinating, if a touch conflicted with his imperial role. There were moments when Selenus felt like a confidante bordering on friendship and other times, he was explicitly reminded that he was an imperial subject. The months were a series of exercises in grooming, deportment, dress, the art of pointless conversation, and molding his country Latin into something apparently more acceptable. For what? If Selenus wasn’t careful, he would think that he was a fowl being stuffed for some future feast. One look in Barbaria’s eyes told him the truth of it, yet she never ventured to shed any light on how he would be consumed. He had no doubt, however, that she had her plans in motion, and he would have to get clear before they came to fruition.

”Visne saltare?” Selenus looked up to see a pretty young lady holding out her hand, the gaudy purple makeup beginning to run down her cheek. Playing it safe, he shook his head, taking a drink to mask his refusal. It wasn’t the smartest thing he could have done, the wine dripping on to his soft blue robes, his head beginning to pound. Sulking, the lady hopped away, pulling some other man into the shameless dance many in the room were beginning to adopt. These people were mad, Selenus, thought, giving no care to the world giving away around them, not caring who did the fighting beyond the walls.

barbaria.jpg
”Now, really, dear Selenus, you’re giving me fits watching you hide away like that,” Barbaria said silkily, turning her full attentions on him. He felt like a small rodent held for inspection by a discerning – and disappointed – eye. ”There’s much to be gained at functions like these. If you would simply let me, there’s much I can teach you.” Her delicate hand swept over the room, taking in the various knots of conversation, consumption, and dancing. Selenus spotted Romulus in a nook of cushions in the far corner, talking avidly with what looked to be the two latest arrivals from Rome. Priests, perhaps, though what man of God would let himself be in the presence of such…such celebration. There were more sober groups, as well. Some were local magistrates, even a man who looked as if he led a small tribe of sorts, already the talk of the ladies. A Herulian perhaps, one of Odoacer’s sort. There were still small groups of these nomadic types in the nearby hills, reminders that Italia was longer a purely Roman place.

”Milady asks too much of me, I fear. There’s going to be a battle soon, to decide access to Rome. I can’t---“ he went on to protest, but Barbaria laughed, confusing him.

”Why, dear Selenus, you are a delight. Surely you know that the question of Rome has already been decided?”

selenus2.jpg

Selenus as a young man

His ears perked up. ”Then it’s been decided? You’ve had news from the army?!?” He perched himself on the couch, facing her, showing genuine interest for the first time.

Again she laughed with obvious mirth. ”As a student of lore, I know you think everything is decided on the field of battle. Men with swords, dashing figures on horseback, that sort of thing. Yet if you truly asked yourself,” she said with relish, sipping her wine in between sentences, ”then you would know that it is in rooms such as these…throne rooms, festive halls, palaces that the important questions are decided.” She surveyed the room in obvious pride, coming to life in the adornment of such people.

Fools all of them, Selenus thought with furtive contempt, not daring to speak his mind. He had the instinct that crossing this woman was a dangerous choice, however. Thus far it had kept him in her circle, but soon he thought, if she was truly so callous about Remus and his fate, Selenus couldn’t remain a part of it. ”But what if Remus is defeated outside the city?” he ventured cautiously, probing.

By her expression, she was quite aware of his hidden portent. ”Selenus, I wish for the Comes’ victory as much as you. It would make things so much simpler,” she said, squashing any goodwill with her cynical reasoning. ”Yet he will not be so fortunate in this battle. Odoacer is a brave general and no fool. He will not underestimate our man Remus. He will not cross a bridge. No, my dear, your friend will have to come to Odoacer if he wants the prize.” Selenus couldn’t believe how delighted she seemed about either possibility. Win or lose, she had a plan. And the tone of her speech! Our man, your friend. Did she truly think Remus a pawn, as she must feel he was?

Selenus nodded to where Romulus was seated. ”And what of him?” He could see Romulus and his guests nodding. The visitations had increased in the past month, particularly with the rumors of Simplicius, the Roman bishop, dying.

”I don’t think it’s really your place to ask such questions of my son, Selenus,” she said, her tone becoming serious in an instant. Many times, he had found his curiosity come up against this fortitude, and he had never tested it. Even now, as much as he found himself despising her, his wine-soaked mind relented and he backed away, compliant, as he always did. Her face softened with obvious relish and she signaled a nearby steward to refill his goblet.

”We will need the Church, should the worse happen. My son will need the Church, and they will need my son. And I will make sure the Church will need you, my dear. I will need you in Rome, victory or no in your precious field.” she said frankly. And that was as far as she would speak. Then she stood graciously, holding out hear hand. She really was beautiful, he thought, though that could be the wine talking. ”Now come, Selenus. It’s time you learned to dance properly.” Her expression was challenging, full of mischief.

Shaking his head slowly, Selenus rose and turned to leave, wanting to leave, get away. Barbaria cleared her throat with a wistful sigh and by rote instinct, he bowed before he left, exactly as she had trained him. Pet, the word accused him bitterly. He could feel the fear rising in him as he pushed through the small crowd, wishing only for quiet and peace. Pawn, his inner voice mocked him. Men and women alike protested as he bustled through them, knocking a tray of perfume to the ground, sending a pungent aroma of lavender through the room. Behind him, the Lady Barbaria stared at him, her eyes twinkling.

Last edited:
Mettermrck said:
Odoacer is a brave general and no fool. He will not underestimate our man Remus.

That's rich... :D Odoacer might be brave, but only a fool could have lost as many battles as he has done. ;) I wonder if Barbaria really is as brilliant as she thinks. Only time will tell. Can't wait for the next update. :)

Ahh, Selenus is going to be the next Pope? ;)

Interesting lady, that Barbaria. And the name :eek:

Avernite: It's a historical name for Romulus' mother, or believe me I wouldn't use it. :)

cthulhu: Poor Odoacer, won't get a break in this AAR.

VILenin: I don't think restoring the Republic would be real practical. I think Remus supports the veneer of traditional magistrates in the towns and cities, even though the real government would still be very very imperial and autocratic.

Ladislav: Well, I'm pretty sure he's not a madman.

TC Pilot: Agreed, don't panic when you see the word 'elections'. It mainly means using the old system of magistrates that had lingered on into the 5th century - consuls, praetors, etc. Even though they're technically elected, it's really a pipe-dream by 483 to make it a true free system. Remus is more Roman than Republican.

Anyhow, I'm glad everyone is still dropping in and indulging me in my haphazard updates lately. :) Now that the social occasion is over, I can get back to the battles for Rome and Ravenna.

Last edited:
You know, I have to agree with cthulhu, is Barbaria really is as brilliant as she thinks? For some reason, I hope she ends up with much egg on her face and gets pulled up short by OUR man Remus!

Kudos, Mett, you've got me really not liking Barbaria. In fact, when I read her name, a little voice in the back of my mind starts screaming, "Witch!"