• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

streaker77

Colonel
16 Badges
Mar 14, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Hello Everyone!

Two years after the conclusion of my last AAR, the 300 year ''Rise of the Folkungs'' Ive found myself wanting quite suddenly wanting to write another AAR. I had always thought that I might write another one eventually, though I assumed it would be on CK3, though in its current state it lacks depth in many areas and some areas such as the revised battle system which is incompatible with the reliance I placed on the old system in terms of writing battles.

Recently I found myself playing CK2 really for the first time since I stepped away from AAR writing, particularly the incredibly in depth AGOT mod and during a quick playthrough I couldnt help but think what a great AAR it would make. Though the world of Game of Thrones is quite a step away from the previous AARs I wrote on, Sweden, Denmark, and Jerusalem respectively, I feel the mods depth and many events make for great story telling.

Im also aware that the Aegon the Conqueror start is one that has probably been bled a little dry on this forum, but I feel confident in my ability to deliver it in a different way, namely that it will be a narrative AAR as opposed to a history-book style. Taking a quick look around the forums and im amazed that I recognize many AARs and writers still going strong, and though im quite busy at the moment I look forward to rejoining the community, both in this AAR and in others. If youve read this far I appreciate it and hope to see you around in this thread :).

350px-Aegon_the_Conqueror_11zon.png

• 8Like
Reactions:
tbf rewriting Targ history from the Conquest is always fun. I'm in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
tbf rewriting Targ history from the Conquest is always fun. I'm in.
Thanks, glad to have you :)

Always good to see another kin! Fly strong, blood of my blood. Following.
Thank you, I look forward to followin yours as well, I took a quick look at the beginning and those images look amazing.

Im currently writing the first chapter right now and it will probably be a few days since there is quite an extensive amount of research to do, but its coming along well. Thought id take a quick moment just to share some more of the structure of the AAR. If anyone has read Rise of the Folkungs it will be similar in the sense that I will be writing and making decisions based on traits , so there will be times when the ''wrong'' decision is made. I will also not exclusively be writing from Aegons perspective though id anticipate those chapters taking up the lions share, but there will be times for certain events, battles, plots where another Targaryen, or even an individual from a different house will be written.

In terms of gameplay, im using only 2 mods, More Bloodlines and Colonizable Valyria. In the context of expansion I will also be using the same system I did in Folkungs where I wont be using any overpowered cb, only expanding through fabricating claims/pressing individuals claims, which may make expansion very slow but im not looking to ''paint'' the map as opposed to make interesting stories.

Finally, id imagine most people reading a ck2agot aar are pretty familiar with the world of Game of Thrones, but in the following post I made a pretty extensive overview of Westeros, the map and most of its cultures just as much for my own benefit as any interested readers, feel free to skip but in the AAR I may reference regions and not explain them fully, in addition to this I will add more culture/regions as they become relevent in the AAR.

Thanks for following along :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
The North

The North is the largest region in all of Westeros, but has a relatively small population despite its size. The landscape is made up of tundra, large lakes and forests and many castles and keeps are made of timber as opposed to stone. Northerners mostly hold to the old gods, worshiping nameless nature spirits, with Weirwood trees being paramount to their faith, there are few Knights in the north. The armies of the North are mostly heavy lancers and heavy infantry who fight in chainmail and leather as opposed to plate. House Stark has ruled over the north from the fortress of Winterfell for thousands of years but at the beginning of our Story, Torrhen Stark has sworn fealty to the Dragonlord Aegon Targaryen, becoming known to his people as the King-Who-Knelt, though his fealty would see his house confirmed as rulers of the north and he would be named the first Warden of the North, an important title as raids from the wildlings beyond the wall are common.
49aDQsCscJLlbsP2MP3bmNTauAouvua2Ws1JxFHnwLp4zmBXgCMLsRj7IOj7_sXb4rUQUnnu9jMgwVqgOzTiLvji5ghw8SgTLyWa3ewWDXhxlIrnwU6a0F-R5Q1LXWPXcgBSSuZZ
37ZqooXCbo-xHBF1OW27LMbfjvPLcZcDj-fiPzsYi6Kyg7g8RgfKIH1865FGYgluHHrGc6JaRm9F0Uy80u3sgzUyD91Sl8Wnv7DE6OybIBoDh5oAXTJtbMFO2RmgejGkO8XPiJ6A

gHlRpiJS06qJx91SWRsJSX7_AXYxfX-W8ajBPtv_oGaS2uGyBdgMU-v6wj9NrGnaHV7c2aUURskZ9DlzCj5KTdENcjReaZj7JCv_FiiROmq51OHhjZXD3JBr7K-hFs5YBMvaTllk

The Vale of Arryn

As ‘’High as Honor’’ are the words of house Arryn and they stand true. The mountains and valleys of the Vale are home to some of the oldest and proudest houses in Westeros, with house Arryn traditionally ruling from the mountain fortress the Eyrie, far above the clouds. The Vale is known for its chivalry, honor, and reliance on mounted knights and men-at-arms, fighting in plate armor, often against the rebellious mountain clans, though it takes much to rouse the might of the Vale to full-fledged war. While its location, being cut off from much of Westeros by the mountains of the moon, makes it so that it is relatively isolated, It is home to one of Westeros’s largest cities, Gulltown. At the time of our story, The Vale has recently capitulated to Visenya, the Dragonlords Aegon's sister-wife, though they repelled an attack on Gulltown early in the conquest, destroying much of the Targaryen fleet and seeing Aegon's uncle Daemon, master of the fleet killed, though they in turn have lost their own fleet which has caused their traditional vassals, the Three Sisters to rebel against house Arryn. The Vale is currently ruled by a boy of 8, Ronnel Arryn, who along with his mother and regent rode for Oldtown for Aegon's coronation.

0M4vGIZ2p1S0Td7lwNOkbIyz4EFZntHUH_sxUib-LxkZbgnPmqB_-qHkfX4pccO9A-C6iZ5bREzBF6oT23Asc_fzL6mFzaEx4d4A9jmX0MxWEPjelj7lhx7V-hoIFDs_q7kaOch8
oTGiXKB2VtMPMurHpB06A8S_bDLQ0xNOUPgbqNFXa0Cb9Ar0hQjS_XhNpT-tALyVSkdmcCAw3eJ7LDaMElDLsY6RL9-fD_X78XqkEBUb9ecmLY-Ei7mlvRM8wTEa3ElsD08a7JJd

IH25s3EA9GkwXM2av1fqmC3R5fu-ryr3OFOf5Uo80DHBn0hr_4_xK8QvXOBNA87QQbe-5Chw9_QgGIAA3pWUDntt0wV9SZYACzCSo0bdhySGcKs7bqBXRZxTuEyLXhGMMKxaPUDQ

The Riverlands

The riverlands are second only behind the reach in their fertility, with the countless rivers and streams of the region ensuring the prosperity of the hundreds of farmsteads and holdfasts. The riverlanders have traditionally never been allowed to enjoy the fruits of their land as they have been under the yoke of both the stormlands and most recently the tyranny of Harren the Black and his Ironborn. Because of its central location, the Riverlands are often the first to suffer in times of war, with its rivers and streams seeing more than their fair share of blood. However at the time of our story, the rivermen have recently risen up to join the Dragonlord in overthrowing ‘’Black’’ Harren, with their forces making up the bulk of Aegon's army as his conquests come to a close for a time. Edmyn Tully, lord of the fortress of Riverrun has been appointed Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, for the first time in recent memory, the lords of the rivers will be free to oversee their own land, albeit under the watchful eye of the Dragonlord.

QXlq0knnj-9L3AR9HZFXktJPfnVqE54gfUB9OIKx3ffOYfu7feZeUxeiLGwv0CE9F6aPcmxH2-42S_a-DN9sc_3oB4TboAd2IQfN9HGBQIt2H0OS60SB1bmgaMjD_rDf71purFC2
TPQVIOSXQPRTsWJSexbDeA8oO_RotcomY2SRuczy39LK0-Coz5bU75NU3Oa7gYFLIIWrIVxRuzxPFZ3mgEWd6dYK9Zk0E-Mc-r255LO__6SCSILsrcSwiNiRzis8TBdzMFm2xCAT
DYUQB4LjPsAX09bIfioSxLGvsGv5sXZnY7ot6mzJ452_h9sJDpkHhHAzy3UQroSXd85a-EliziXAwCHsjKeBfJ1xJB7VGpBP91g_OfEag4TCuIMtxhXJlzQ6WNFSU2LML7adC4C3

The Westerlands

The Westerlands are a land of riches, with its hilly terrain and rocky crags containing mines that supply most of Westeros’s gold and silver, and often rulership over the Westerlands brings the title the richest man in Westeros along with it At the beginning of our story, the Westerlands have recently submitted to the Dragonlord, though unlike the previous regions, the proud lords of the Westerlands had to be humbled by dragonfire, with the three dragons of house Targaryen bringing fire and blood to the mighty host that the Kings of the Westerlands and the Reach brought to oppose them. The golden shields and armor of the Westerlands knights did nothing to save them from the fires above and many of them burned alongside their men, including the brother of the current ruler of the Westerlands. Loren Lannister managed to escape the field of fire, leaving behind the four thousand dead men of the reach and the westerlands, but rather than submit his fortress of casterly rock to Dragonfire, chose to swear fealty to the Dragonlord, though one has to wonder how strong bonds made under threat of Dragonfire hold.

O7S9dbGDJEVn6PJfua_VyucQoW2WU4SQH1yyOtEdNcEaOV6bxzPWuw4RL26WIk0Ra0-dd30-4BgHzRhL7WLB4M50G5sY4ivAEsw-xEfdGoDKL7ZzT7m-kMOzAxwBGM3Wce-_RSa9
wRMDtKjxK42BVldVc42yhdTQ64NnsWOzaMr4zJaqqI5w-tbhJn3eqLxUisDt8q_ON01Nv2C8JjWkp9yQqNaJZih-Nb6Z9YnsLNLJizidTrnBbGmI9--A2Pw1ioogDG-f1G7mVo0Z

48ewmJINtB1BIOCfmEAk6czbzSZViBQouNmrvn7fBmmuR4dVkxq55aTsyeJmAE8i0a2loz61HZM7gRndDMHmqEhIVWIMNDPTei9QSM-uL4LVALynl0RO373grNOnnuApH0B6i5ti

The Iron Islands

The Iron Islands are a harsh land, with harsh people to go along with it. The inhospitable and barren rocks of their homeland causing the Ironborn to look to other lands to make their wealth, though some mines of tin and lead are present on the islands, House Hoare has led the axeman raiders of the Ironborn to new heights, conquering the Riverlands and extracting their wealth, often through violence, and the tyrannical ‘’Black’’ Harren Hoare had recently raised one of the greatest fortresses in Westeros, Harrenhall. When the riverlords rose against his tyranny under the banner of the Dragonlord it is said the old King laughed, content to let this upstart ‘’Dragon’’ break himself along the massive walls. In the end the walls of Harrenhall did not save ‘’Black’’ Harren, and he and his five sons burned alongside the entire garrison, servant and king all sharing in the flames of death. At the beginning of our story, the Iron Islands are in a state of chaos, with both a drowned priest and a powerful warlord determined to lead their people to victory against the conquering Dragon.

SefOOBSxSY7eQCe41OTNQnNc3f14a6BCuVmBEH0pqSiDNrwk94oXZ7TTlIi-n5UpngdX8xYNUMOHio9j6HfEhfL3P8XuOvIo3xyu9vOXXNg3GQJ5inP18ELRhSzQGHd-6gmtKMMT

The Reach

The Reach is a land of chivalry and plenty, where the wine flows as freely as the countless fields of flowers and grass. The fertility of the Reach has caused it to be known as the breadbasket of the Westerosi continent. The most populous region of Westeros, it is said that whoever controls the Reach commands 70,000 swords, lances, and all the chivalry of the Reach. Many great cities are present in this land, with the city of Oldtown being the most prosperous in Westeros, with the High Septon of the faith making his seat here, as well as the Maesters of the Citadel, the foremost seekers of knowledge in the land. If Westeros can be considered a crown, the Reach is its crown jewel. Despite this power, the knights and men-at-arms of the Reach burned alongside those of the Westerlands, with the mighty King Mern Gardener, his sons, his brothers all perishing on the field of fire, thus ending his line. At the beginning of our story, the Dragonlord Aegon has secured the surrender of both the fortress of Highgarden and the great city of Oldtown, giving the steward Harlan Tyrell the title of Lord Paramount of the Reach for his wisdom in surrendering the city of Highgarden, earning the anger of those lords of more noble blood, but the Dragonlord does not care of what once was, only what is to come.

NV7izhBQhc9MTH52Zl_XUnU_B1z_EIdFIC-PSY4ASrLq43nb_OfLChgBN1qx_v9L6KDDk_nT41o6Itl1SCoF0s1OryP80h4DB13SD5aYFNwYsyYOWiXn3x8oF6XaoSas9X_JfiwG
K0-t-UaD9nL5jPg9k6OCRGwYBskUnXIrxuQPzzlSxoRly-skzGbJOT-eyKoUSeDMgNFvU2AyeTor5IKN0BLpicyknSxKU5MMlH_aGH5M4llxys5AnF7MWzVxU-27DrnD5dcfx9G9

zImDLE0WC4ghEpyxXzuzBOGiMur5yLSn7gWLf1AE8ptUknG91GzT3h0u8cXu86T9LxASRzAO32nNDSh6_kfEhqgFP6APReR2XEqmbrYmCRNzbwOBmZVVGdWDyBYAnnw2uFtXySlq

The Stormlands:

The Stormlands are a diverse region. Heavily forested for much of its expanse, it is famed for its coast, which is frequently battered by storms from the narrow sea. It is thinly populated, with much of its population living deep in rainy villages of moss covered cottages deep in the forest, among the streams and brooks heading out into the bay, though the stormlands is overseen by the great fortress of Storms End. The region is famed for its warriors. The southern stormlands are much less forested, and the marcher lords, whose proud castles sit upon sand and grassy plains guard the south from the Dornish, with whom the Stormlanders fought frequently in the past. At the beginning of our story, the Stormlands have capitulated to the Dragonlord Aegon, with its King, the Storm King Argilac Durrandon being slain in single combat by Orys Baratheon, the rumored half brother of the Dragonlord when he resisted the Targaryen demand for fealty. The Stormlands are now ruled by Orys, alongside Argilacs daughter, his wife Argella. Whatever is to come for the Targaryens, the Stormlands and Orys Baratheon are sure to follow.

8oOoDOkt9qcOuAe7YNJPqtybA1Y3VAlfSpgRGshMqWRP97aeacByuqRHXEG9Vu0rS1BDqLtLQpWm1sZO_PJ0h4dPhHOCgcejisMs_q05AviRBUayE3VPegi8m-hik0RYmfutXyC7
k3ylJGRhkLlrWqIickuk0Snt5Fa6AgSVhFziL-OqhfzPgjdV-c8KxySoDfhkQsWJP3LmbgX9Xy7K_OECTe6nVdlJHsRqylkujLLnjDCPvLQRG0m0wf3Bazw0xFbQ9b5kR_rDyj2L

ssxkT_6-hz5xZktbiZkDeXK8lz2jF5NNiEkTG-MB42HCokYFfY6TBdkc_bMOy62GfxHyVGOKLJxwE2IIqSLXdy6gDjOFV7vBC0lEnRlI4nTR4wnRSmh5bOL9QZg7H1Sa85VgzcXD

The Crownlands

While not a true Kingdom, the Crownlands constitute one of the most important territories for the Iron throne. The islands of the gullet are home to the Targaryens oldest vassals, most of them with Valyrian ancestry and many sharing blood with the Dragonlord, most notably the Velaryons of Driftmark. West of the gullet, following blackwater bay as it enters Westeros is the site of Kings Landing, the location where the Dragonlord Aegon built the Aegonfort is present, as is the fledgling Targaryen capitol. The southern crownlands are home to the heavily forested Kingswood, which at the time of our story was severely burnt in the conquest, sending many refugees to the site of the new planned capitol. To the north are several proud houses and the cities of Duskendale and the surrounding castles of Rosby and Stokesworth, which were among the first to be brought under the Targaryen banner.

L-6s48YMfjhwhFo91JpGqyQneqPBD3sNLIwbpeSFUWJ3EnKxHfV06lKxQRmm51nHtG-X4vM4W09nTPQeP6v9WJ9kYnPj_uovz6NoD9TC8fZsFElQpAOLtiYTL1w9AS4c4-93a7Dd
uviCQDuPvV7pku0m2zMZpDK8jngkz-l4inqRZtrZJrVqcQoGhMCqsAJtOMJVtgkVbwBNlE6lmNnpPOFK9ZdEqlPiKrxFoLQf__WLnvUaJYLUIJCNn5ncKfn1AetP16i655mIIPKS

Dorne

Dorne is a land as hot as the fires that burn within its people. Much of the southern Kingdom is made up of barren and arid wastelands, though oases can be found among the sands, which range anywhere from red to white and everything in between. The eastern coast of Dorne is the seat of power of House Martell, which has ruled Sunspear since the migration of the Rhoynar, and while much of Dorne is inhospitable, the rivers that flow into Eastern Dorne makes the region prosperous enough, and many fruits that are prized by the other regions of Westeros are grown in the east of Dorne, or imported across the narrow sea. At the time of our story, Dorne is the last Westerosi kingdom unconquered by the Dragonlord, who has ceased his conquests in order to consolidate his power, for the time being. The current ruler of Dorne is the aged Meria of Dorne, who despite her blindness and feeble condition, inspires much loyalty from her Dornish vassals.

S1oLODXPIo6UjhHqBHkmpmXCE6JEhHnaEHFqzAeEzNS_BQ9TRUHt0mENDYzIXfxfWyKOcGS4vwUajwng20hEP_mZ20TRhsWIxSeaT_d2-w90w_8okzd1gtKFwul7Qu6jqsuKDnx2
SQdSa1Y5x_ZWjZ3JV9rBQpPg4VnXJuF55ZC2lmXzX5jZhI6HetA-RQ7Z8y3KD45hDDhRd-L3L-bl7y_jj3DTE4SFIoi7HQx9cfnI6DIcnoesXJaaPTDzCCqJH8obKya21ulpGNB_

The Seven Kingdoms of Westeros
kgumjYJB-dlxu9NlfQ2Vfj0DsejBNWWnIBCom8pcDNfkNJAfBOnvlz_LFbLrK-_Mom4mwEJ-VeTysYudNFvwRA5V8dZL3yOKiPE91MfKpS6ols-A78V1EZu2XDBFTVblRdSAkcki

Other cultural regions of Westeros

Crackclaw Point:

The pine forests, bogs and marshes of Crackclaw Point are the setting of many stories and tales, tales of a proud but misunderstood people. The clawman of Crackclaw point are seen as unsophisticated and primitive to some, but there are perhaps no fiercer people in Westeros, both in battle and loyalty. Though distrustful of outsiders, our story begins with the Clawmen of Cracklaw Point having been among the first to swear loyalty to the Targaryens, with Visenya and her dragon Vhagar making a trip there in which the Clawmen immediately swore fealty to Visenya, with their loyalty being rewarded by Visenya with the promise that the Clawmen would serve no master but the Targaryens for time eternal

Jgft7qgfMqnlZzpIXA-TodniXCPSfxVwcEGSHUIKEwjLLj60g0HYOFpVe7HvyFCWj4aNGqsJW47OrFD0NHZP1wCzn2kUjY3lNn_FemlodXLRHQxzBQtH00qQ60A0wPiSG0PcKCaO

The Three Sisters:

The islands of Sweetsister, Longsister, and Littlesister make up the island chain known as the Three Sisters. The sistermen were once a free people, led by Pirate Kings who held dominion over the Bite, before eventually being conquered in a brutal war by the North, the brutality of which has caused a long standing resentment between the two people. Following this the Vale of Arryn and the North fought conflicts of various lengths for control of the islands, with the Sisters bearing the brunt of these conflicts. At the time of our story, the islands are known to be a den of smugglers, sin and debauchery, while the Sistermen have raised Marla Sunderland as their queen, wanting once more to be a free people. These small Islands have not escaped the Dragonlord Aegon's notice and he has instructed his Warden of the North, Torrhen Stark to make preparations to retake the islands and end the rebellion, though he has changes planned for the long suffering Sisters.

LQ6NfINjfivQKnZvKV96mEg2Jt1zlB-kJcWIugh5bn9mYRVvi2lby_DyAVYdrcqaXE4vadtuForDAmcX_6SHHFG4aLaPRp9UnbIddlaWnGtDQ3hQ8xIAIDepRPIbFqHEu_m3nuye

Skagos:

Skagos is a large island to the far north of Westeros, part of it going past the wall, making it in theory the northernmost point of the King of Westeros’s authority as the island is loosely under the influence of House Stark, though in truth this bond is near nonexistent as many fear to even speak of the ‘’stoneborn’’ or the Skagosi who inhabit these isles, much less exert rule over them. The Skagosi are a large people who are seen by their Northern neighbors as complete savages who practice cannibalism and lure ships to shore and slaughter those that survive, stealing their goods, though it cannot be said how much of this is rumor and how much is fact. Despite their apparent savage nature, the islands are rich with fish and the rumored existence of unicorns on the island draws some small number of brave traders, who sell the goods gained on Skagos for a fortune.

Nwfapcv9lHOpaCTUg63UyH9bbzFjXoqwkjcyIhVs1v7nLaazLiA6v8QYnoRxSrUEVhtG4Db5FcnB7n1EAmbM_6j6jDsJjiH0x_i5Uz_znQr9YCmsU12BPLSTJ-I_S8t1H_i71z3q

The Free Folk:

North of the wall lies the realm of the Free Folk, or the Wildlings as most Westerosi refer to them. The tribes of the Free Folk are beyond the count as are their languages and customs, though once every few centuries a warlord will arise and unite many of the clans often attempting to overwhelm the Night's Watch, mostly with limited success. While full fledged invasions are rare, raids are not and the lands south of the wall know the sight of wildling raiders well, wearing pelts of sealskin and wielding weapons of driftwood. Despite their ferocity in raids, the Free Folk have their own code and honor in their own way.

CHTKLxGsxNyWT3oJgWyJpbmuNYAxB68dMu1VPHalj-lZRK779Vn6NLWKMEdt1CXqNBzB2iljp3bGF7S8QVMkBal-0pc8a--ZbZaWitBCySeJUncDhwrinX0Ilo2puoCeDQSVWJ2k

The Neck:

The Neck is among the most inhospitable regions in Westeros, filled with bogs and swamps, quicksand and Lizard lions, but it is this inhospitibility which lends itself to one of the most defensible positions in Westeros, Moat Cailin, the crumbling fortress which separates the North from the other six Kingdoms, and a fortress which it is said could repel attacks 10 times greater than its garrison. The inhabitants of this land are the Crannogman, a diminutive people, insultingly called bog devils or frog eaters by other Westerosi. They live in small thatch villages among the swamp, and despite their small size are notoriously hard to subdue in war.

saLSUkaMKHscAMoBxfh0oIKVQ0zpvTBTa82E0GIkJSbMyzjpqO47p771fqkBMko3klhfLND2jiLMDGQEoF4d6Mjx4vYfxji5Mh9RKdTo5T-KGxRx3cP70cWp81Qd6gvhO1hTLear

The Shield Islands

The Shield Islands, often referred to as the four shields or simply the shields are an island chain owing fealty to the ruler of the reach, with the responsibility of defending the entrance to the Mander river from the ironborn, of which they have clashed many times over the centuries. The shield islanders are a people known for their prowess at sea.

3cXz7qxNjmb9Ud6rIDKoS2z-14jJD5nxyVM0q5yW50bxv0H6hVvUVu1_-OMYutizMw2uLi8RIZinJ_utKsxWPy25Muck86HAjus5TXqzQzRxjh4ejbHcVIovO-hYJEYWOCKPGrMx

The Arbor:

The Arbor is one of the wealthiest regions in all of Westeros, famed for its warm weather and production of the finest wines in Westeros and beyond. Much like the Reach, Chivalry and knighthood are paramount in this fertile island and it is protected by the largest fleet in Westeros, while trading ships regularly sail as far as Qarth in the east. At the time of our story the Island is currently ruled by the young lord Perwyn Redwyne, who is in attendance at Aegon's coronation in Oldtown.

bxiIu2gMPJw5kqXlplIfATyxpWui5xA7FqtWCyO9rmZWEbIVpLvMdS5baOtjnTqbhIkjE3wKtlVTlwA3E894aB2roobOl3QJiRG60NIOlT5zGO88LXB69xSnacIdPyPU7Ac63Js8

White Harbor:

The city of White Harbor is one of the 5 largest cities in Westeros, and by the far the largest settlement north of the Neck. The region is an anomaly in the North due to its ruling house, House Manderly having been exiled from the Reach centuries before the events of our story and being given the lands by a Stark King. Because of this, White Harbor mainly follows the faith of the seven, and knights are common. The Manderlys great hall is called the Merman's court and is known for its splendor and trading reputation. At the time of our story, The Warden of the North Torrhen Stark has tasked House Manderly with putting down the rebellion on the Three Sisters to the south.

Vhtk7GwCksvOBpoSowOzrUMN9Mr7GrL6orI0Bd38XsC6mvotYInQ5E2YakGTD-fxHxd0dBBnOv-NdM1aSxT43tAMdfDSZVj-OWeo_8Mtgh3Lg56uYNKBcNYpXerpXCXR_aZ8ywvp

The Northern Clans:

To survive in the mountainous north just south of the wall is no easy feat yet the forty northern mountain clans have managed just that. Living in small clan settlements and holdfasts the Northern Clans have a reputation for being stubborn, rude, and most importantly fearless in battle where they wield two handed greatswords and great axes. Due to their proximity to the Wall, it is often the Northern Clans that suffer the most from Wildling raids. The Northern Clans swear fealty to House Stark.

97JfwrtRy6lHHOe1vShpu5fes1PXKoiT_XDkwlnQnKgLZMe4C3hC9aFj0us3vfNrDuwY_uHiergAiw9ZkIvcLHH7pRxeeCySIYX2diHeokY9lWBXguOQqwVeOyo4aZTu06csjONi

Essos:

-Individual Regions/Cultures will be added as they become relevant in the AAR

YXG779Zqh4GwNxi81izRd7kxhDWHAcs-uvQUmKTg1jKbb_pWJEAPgGxFiGMXuw1nQSVA7ptJk7y0YbkYifyh2pg6SycxgZWhW7d-wm3XbHdd92akXBjy-FTUzUlI3OWjIvKIY8tt

JegjFhMHg--qugd_gJStRICcl8L-XRF8wP2TjWMvDbVOn-DcVAciwmNaLYn3DncC_rHJWfDYmLbTxQZRWcIHBk072D3hs_L7T2ctvvzeRd2MC9OZvADtPkVgca9iymwMFY_OpVKG

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I tend not to read too many AGOT AARs, but because this is you I’ll make an exception! I’m a fan of the books (which I read before the streaming series was a thing) and show, and nothing against the CK2 mod (which I haven’t played) but in Paradox I’m more of an HOI3 follower. Good luck with this one. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I tend not to read too many AGOT AARs, but because this is you I’ll make an exception! I’m a fan of the books (which I read before the streaming series was a thing) and show, and nothing against the CK2 mod (which I haven’t played) but in Paradox I’m more of an HOI3 follower. Good luck with this one. :)
Glad to hear it, as a fellow fan of the books one thing I appreciate about the mod is how in depth and fleshed out it is.

-To all

This next chapter ran pretty long as it is the introduction and quite a few things need to be established, I dont anticipate many future chapters of this same length, I hope you all enjoy.

(I will also be including a character threadmark which, similarly to the Realms page I will update as new characters become relevant, just as much for my quick reference as any one elses)

Reactions:
Chapter One Oldtown (Aegon POV)
The Dragons Realm Chapter One
Port of Oldtown
2nd First Moon, 7999

Aegon Targaryen stood in silence upon the quay, the light pink streaks of the clear sky slowly giving way to the night, illuminating the Honeywine river as it flowed into the bay, enough light still visible to contrast the water of the river mixing with the dark waters farther off in the bay. It was a cool afternoon with a light breeze coming in from the bay, and though growing late, the port was still very busy.

ScvWkVaiJuVk2B9-GIQzIt6owoFzc7RRO-wmJoFhy3Jr5d-V-jPW_L2mh1QZC8Jr3YHz1EuiC5fO-ZnjtJ3jeKD0JG5JUwR3tbSN7nstWK7s0MKbSjY3PMx8TuNmKNvfp7qKAB-j

Fishmongers packed up their stalls, occasionally pleading with a sailor to take their stock at half price while traders from a dozen lands loaded and unloaded ships, speaking in many tongues, most in the common tongue of Westeros but some in languages foreign to the young Targaryen. Looking at the ships in the harbor closest to him he made out the distinctive vessel of the Summer Islanders, a hulking Swan ship, its great white sails fluttering in the gentle breeze, its eagle figurehead slowly rocking up and down with the current of the bay.

He heard a commotion behind him and turned to see a small group of sailors, obviously drunk stumbling along the bayfront.

Stormlanders He thought to himself, recognizing their accents before correcting himself. My people now.

It was a strange thought, for the past two years Aegon had been campaigning tirelessly and without reprieve against the various kingdoms of the continent of Westeros, one by one bringing them under the black and red banner of his house both by fire and fealty, six kingdoms, one king. Upon the arrival of his older sister and wife Visenya that conquest would end…for the time being.

The sobering truth in Aegon's mind was that the coming transition from warrior and conqueror to king and ruler was one that he was not entirely ready to make. He had proven he could kill and intimidate the various inhabitants of Westeros, force them into submission by threats of dragonfire, and when that failed, in pitched battle, but to rule them, to keep the peace in thousands of villages, castles, holdfasts, and farms, to keep the peace between millions of people of vastly different cultures would be an entirely different task all together.

Aegon was shaken from his thoughts by his sister-wife Rhaenys, who was standing beside him, her silver hair illuminated from the light of the tower in front of them.

Ijl8cobsNrBEmwXKcBgc81q40kVzms0a1lKo_YNwRnQq34SiLYP7HlcH2xyvz-ahWUVTsGjAiL6rNWUgbItv3H3pwmPs2EvGZYBWby7dPdqYFc2G8P1atyfMopJE99XHBhHW9pkz

‘’It's beautiful isn't it.’’ She said softly, gazing up at the Hightower, an enormous lighthouse and castle a distance offshore, positioned upon the isle of battle.

The Hightower was the highest tower in the known world, its white marble extending some 700 feet into the sky, its large fire shining like a beacon through the darkening sky, proud for all to see. Despite its marble makeup, its base was made up of plain black stone blending into the dark water and night, which gave the white tower the appearance of floating up from the bay, unattached to land.

QHDJnDnKPXK8xR47936MLwvjClnEj1embQEsNIsWLu5Cfyy4_mYqXX2upSia_XLlbhbYM91zepIwRoMxLD2gouhTFVL7qGtPvqH0cF_Vj_m7QljWA8Wlox3akafx4sO2XkMaINMk

‘’It has its charms, but on the back of a dragon it sits as small as any structure.’’ Aegon said, he did not share his sister's wonder as he had seen it before when he had been much younger with his older sister and wife Visenya.

‘’Do you think it's true?’’ Rhaenys asked, her purple eyes still fixed upwards.

‘’What is?’’ Aegon asked.

‘’When we visited the Citadel one of the Maesters said one of the theories as to the tower's creation was it was built by the Valyrian Freehold thousands of years ago, the black stone on the bottom is similar….maybe our ancestors built this’’ Rhaeneys said with a smirk, a common look she took on when she found something interesting.

Aegon shook his head ‘’Maesters say a lot of things…it doesn't make it true.’’

Rhaeneys raised her eyebrows ‘’Still……’’

‘’Dragonstone was the westernmost outpost of the Freehold, that's what our Father always said and I'll trust his words over a Maester any day, no matter the chain he wears.’’ Aegon said cynically, as was his manner.

‘’He'd be proud of you, Aegon.’’ Rhaeneys said, her eyes returning to the tower. Their father Aerion was a quiet and humble man but never lacked for tales passed down of the Freehold of old, he had died only 3 years prior clutching at his heart at a feast, an activity he was fond of.

‘’If he had sent me and Visenya to tour east instead of west, perhaps we'd be in Pentos right now.’’ Aegon said, while he enjoyed tales of the old freehold, his interest had always lain west of Dragonstone, an ambition his father encouraged by funding him and his older sister Visenya on tours of a small number of Westeros cities, Oldtown and the Arbor among them. Furthermore to celebrate Aegon's first victory, the burning of a Volantene fleet in aid of Pentos and Myr, their father had presented him with a gift, a carved fifty foot long table in the shape of Westeros, which Aegon had used to plan his invasion of the continent after his father had died.

‘’I'm glad he didn't, it is a great achievement to be King of six of the seven kingdoms.’’Rhaeneys replied, the familiar smirk reappearing.

Aegon knew his sister well enough to to recognize when she was teasing him and gave out a small laugh ‘’You think we should have kept going….conquered Dorne?’’

Rhaenys shrugged ‘’We had the momentum, why stop.’’

‘’The Dragons are tired…..we've ridden them hard for two years….besides, we've overextended ourselves, we have enough trouble to deal with it as it is….I must consolidate my power before taking Dorne.’’ Aegon said.

Both his dragon Balerion and Rhaenys’s Meraxes were the two largest of the Targaryen's three dragons but he had sensed them growing tired as of late, so he had set them loose to go west of Oldtown into the Sunset sea, to hunt and rest on the many islands there, he had no fear that they wouldn't return, they always did, though before doing so he made sure to make a dramatic entrance in front of the high septon, lord Hightower and all his army, some 15,000 men.

His comments on internal trouble were also true, despite the burning of Harren the Black and his kin within Harrenhal, he had never officially secured the loyalty of the Iron Isles and chaos had erupted among the Ironborn warlords, with conflicting reports of both a powerful lord and drowned priest seeking to keep the Dragon Kings influence from spreading to their islands.

Meanwhile, the Three Sisters, a small island chain with an unsavory reputation in the Bite, a body of water between the North and the Vale of Arryn, famed for its smugglers, had risen up in revolt. The Sisters as they were known had been fought over for generations between the North and the Vale, never being independent until an opportunity presented itself. During the early months of Aegon's conquest he had sent his sister Visenya, her Dragon Vhagar, along with his Uncle Daemon Velaryon, his master of ships with the fleet of Dragonstone to seize the large port city of Gulltown in the Vale. In the ensuing naval battle, their uncle was killed and many of their ships burnt before Visenya and her dragon burnt the Arryn fleet along with their Braavosi mercenary ships. The loss of House Arryns fleet however meant the Sisters could rebel with impunity, a fracturing Aegon could not allow, for fear the rest of the lords of Westeros getting ideas.

In truth Aegon did not wish to be in Oldtown, pleasant as it was, he would have preferred to leave immediately for the Iron Islands following Oldtowns surrender, but he was to be coronated by the high septon, who had urged the Lord Hightower to surrender the city without bloodshed, in sight of many lords of Westeros. It had been 3 days since the Oldtown gates had opened to him and the Lord Hightower swore fealty to Aegon and his sister, mounted upon their dragons and surrendered the city, and yet he still waited on his sister Visenya to return from the Vale, with the young lord Arryn and his mother along with many other of the mountain lords, Visenya had sent a raven some time prior saying they had passed the ruins of Harrenhall but there had been no word since then.

The days in Oldtown had largely been restless as he waited for his older sister-wife to return. He and Rhaenys had toured most of the city, spending a day at the Citadel where Aegon had requested to see the black candles of Valyria, something the maesters had balked at but Aegon was not a man to be refused. That first night their tour continued, climbing to the top of the Hightower with the Lord Manfred Hightower of Oldtown, who had prepared their chambers at its highest level. They had walked through many of the cobbled streets to the thieves market and the ragpipers wynd, visited many of the small isles and the lord Hightowers son Ser Lyonel, had taken them on a tour of all the seven septs of the city and their gardens, the Starry Sept the grandest among them and the site of Aegon's coming coronation.

uufHFbg0E85jR099GZ9VB-khtb0vqBt7hxyJB49y76Z60dnx8hxX1jJcZjteTdH5vb4QmYNOpZPzlUYEygZWtoAUz1-GUY5fWwNKttmE0lbAV_yc_eCLL_UsN6pEzd89uN5jNfL6

Rhaenys had payed a visit to the local motherhouse of Silent Sisters and made a sizable donation in Aegon's name, to which he had snorted and said that if he was ever caught giving that much coin to the faith then a skinchanger from the east must have taken his place, to which Rhaenys had only smiled and proceeded to give a second gift in his name, more to annoy him than from any sort of piety, Aegon and his sisters were not particularly firm adherents to either their Valyrian faith or the religion of the majority of the Kingdoms, the faith of the seven.

‘’It really is beautiful’’ Rhaenys said, somewhat wistfully, her eyes trained on the hightower and the bay beyond, in which ships were both leaving and approaching the several miles of Oldtowns ports, the pink streaks gone from the sky leaving the ships as only shadows in the night.

Aegon knew his sister well enough to catch her meaning and shook his head ‘’I won't have it said that Aegon Targaryen, upon landing in Westeros, stole the seat of one of Westeros’s most ancient houses and took it for his own…..no Rhaenys we will build our own capitol.’’

Preparations on the new capitol were already underway, and it was these preparations that meant that Aegon's most trusted advisors, outside of his sisters, were not to be present at his coronation. Upon landing in Westeros on the blackwater rush from the bay, Aegon had his men hastily assemble a wooden fort upon the highest hill in the region, which came to be known as the Aegonfort. Orys Baratheon, Aegon's greatest friend, warrior, and rumored younger half brother, who had slain the Storm King Argilac in single combat had taken both the old Kings land and daughter for his own and sworn fealty to Aegon, during which Aegon had referred to Orys as ‘’his strong right hand’’ and put him in charge of making the new keep livable upon his return.

rEoeRfN4QpR5qimHnxhNRPGRiIniVH_x4qum_Bw5lHsqOO11AdnhpnykO7O_KOmWj-uDGtrlqz45E4KOs2xE2E9T97Mf_uNlR2gAWj69jcXp1IdUHLSp_TSYjGsS9RFJ6DSp8S5j

In addition to this, Aegon sent his Velaryon cousins Aethen of Driftmark, the current master of ships and Corlys, sons of the late Daemon downriver on barges to transport the burnt swords from the Field of Fire and Harrenhall to the Aegonfort, in which he planned to make a throne out of them, a symbol of his victories over the huge armies of the Reach and Westerlands, and the fortress of Black Harren.

3pLdBrgzfRZ_36lFhdXH_kPP2-SFK4NU-YbHr5AJ4rWVGpQHgUw13ugt3V1hEFqrODCYQt7elFu3tXFjhbb5Oxh1PC2XvntZPObwcVXaaeVdlRVzM1vH_4ZDNEqIIqg7M-eyckU_
41QSWBTv-MB3zjmmnq1vHvqEbTfFBRqXejgCgXmQ4O6RihCTqdeEcxEzq5DOd-vaYYc7gD13NcpPDZ4BTUsNuCUv_ZiPZUo2p25cIiRSSQpV4hMXBhluXpXmu97hpmvrJJSqv3yM

‘’It would take us a long time to build a place such as this’’ Rhaenys said gloomily, she had been a proponent of Aegon taking Oldtown as his seat. ‘’Even Dragonstone would be preferable to ruling from a wooden fort.’’ she continued.

Aegon sensed her unhappiness ‘’I cannot claim to be the King of Westeros and rule over thousands of miles of country if I rule from an island not apart of the land….and you are right what we build in our lifetime may not match this….but our descendents shall build a capitol worthy of our dynasty.

Rhaenys was silent at this.

‘’Besides’’ Aegon continued, hoping to lighten the mood ‘’If I were to make my seat here we would be expected to attend the High Septons sermons at the Starry Sept…it took the man 7 days of prayer to come to the conclusion that Lord Hightower should surrender the city to us, I shudder to think how much time we would spend in that sept.’’

That earned a laugh out of Rhaenys, she could never stay mad at him for long.

Suddenly there was a change in the air, a sudden wind, accompanied by shouts of both wonder and fear by those still remaining in the streets, and many a drink was spilled at the harbor winesinks as the inhabitants of Oldtown looked into the night sky with wonder and terror.

Above the main gate of Oldtown, high in the air a dragon flew slowly over the city its wings creating gusts of air that could be felt from far away, its bronze scales shining in the moonlight, Aegon smiled when he saw the silver reflection of the dragon riders hair, judging by the Dragons bronze scales it could only be his sister and her dragon Vhagar, the smallest of the 3 Targaryen dragons but still a sight to behold. With Visenya arriving that also meant the host from the Vale had arrived for his coronation, the last host expected.

He shared a look with Rhaenys who took his hand, a smile on her face.

‘’And so it begins.’’ Aegon said quietly, watching the bronze dragon glide through the stars.

The Next Morning
Chambers of the Hightower

‘’Have you given any thought to my counsel given before I left for the Vale?’’ Visenya asked as she helped fix the black sable cloak upon Aegon's broad shoulders.

‘’I have, and I think it unnecessary…I have Balerion, and this.’’ Aegon said, patting his Valyrian steel hand-and-a half sword Blackfyre upon his waist, the ruby in the pommel catching rays of the morning sun through the open window.

‘’Then you remain a fool, even if a royal one…I had hoped you would have seen the value in the idea.’’ Visenya said sternly, fastening the cloak and stepping away.

It was true that Aegon loved his older sister and wife, but it was a different sort of love than Rhaenys. Visenya was a harsher, more noble kind of beauty, and while Rhaenys was playful and curious Visenya was stern and blunt of speech, though effective and intelligent in council, duty, and war. Aegon was one of the finest swords in the Kingdoms but his older sister was every bit his equal, the two training together since childhood, Aegon's Blackfyre against his older sister's Valyrian steel blade Dark Sister.
UA6H1Wcdiq4jnET7U2pRJQXv04l1Uwh8wK3vaCkgXEfCtRNz4u7bnu19Bs67zAGOHEmu2fHsSYGLAbakH1EYhWRMZ7-NEdWle1ReWJkfD4BsVNB6rWOxdFmWZPsjTlrmEcfGr-9N

Aegon knew better than to chide his sister for her speech, he had long since grown used to it, instead sighing and walking to the open window, looking out upon the city of Oldtown.

‘’Our Dragons and swords were defense enough for our ancestors.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Our ancestors did not rule six Kingdoms.’’ Visenya said, joining him at the window.

Aegon was silent at that.

‘’It is not just for your benefit your grace, it would bind the realms closer to you, let them see their own countrymen in defense of their King, at his side in peace and war, at feasts and in the heat of battle, let it become a point of pride and honor that one of their own stands behind the King.’’ Visenya continued, it was clear she had thought the idea out well.

The idea in question was the potential formation of an elite guard Visenya called the ‘’Kingsguard.’’ She proposed that the formation be composed of seven warriors who would serve at the King's defense for life. She also insisted that each of the seven spots be reserved for a different culture of the realm, with the Vale, Riverlands, Westerlands, Reach, and Stormlands each having a representative. The further two spots would be filled with deserving warriors from either the Crownlands, the North, the Iron Islands, or Crackclaw point.

Aegon had to admit his sister made good points, but Aegon was not a man to whom trust came easily and the thought of taking seven warriors into his service was one he was uneasy with.

‘’And if these warriors from each region must choose between their home and their King?’’ Aegon asked, resting his hands on the windowsill.

‘’We shall find trustworthy men, warriors of honor.’’ Visenya said.

‘’Easier said than done,’’ Aegon replied.

‘’These men are not as hard to find as you think….if you're looking for a man you trust to lead your guard I suggest our cousin Corlys, he is young yes but is a man of honor, brave and is one of your finest swords….apart from me of course.’’ Visenya continued with a small smile on her face, she was not a woman to whom humor came often but it did so occasionally.

Aegon grunted at that and Visenya saw that victory was close and went in for the kill.

‘’Tell me your grace, if you were to be attacked within the Starry Sept later today, what good would Balerion do you, he cannot protect you within in buildings or palaces, no doubt he would attempt to defend you but would likely burn the sept down, with all of us in it….you need guards that can be with you at all time.’’ Visenya continued.

‘’Seven Hells woman you are persistent…..’’ Aegon said he had heard that expression used when he visited Westeros as a young man and used it quite often.

‘’I take that to mean a yes?’’ Visenya asked, a small smile on her lips.

‘’If I were to say no, I would no doubt be in for a war of attrition with you…very well we shall announce it after the coronation’’ Aegon said.

‘’I'm glad you see the value in my counsel, your grace.’’ Visenya said.

Aegon snorted and was about to reply when the bells of the Starry Sept began to ring out.

‘’It is time’’ Visenya said, her hand upon his shoulder, and Aegon nodded, and together they made the long trek to the base of the Hightower, where they met with Rhaenys at the base, taking a small skiff to shore.

Balerion and Meraxes had returned from the Sunset Sea not long after Visenya had arrived, Aegon had no specific way of summoning them but they always seemed to know when they were needed.

Aegon had considered going to the sept on dragonback but there were few places to land within the city and he wanted the people of Oldtown to see their new King clearly, so he decided to go on horseback instead, taking a long route through the center of the cobbled streets to the Sept.

On the shore, Aegon's honor guard was already formed. The guard was to be led by Lord Jon Mooton of Maidenpool, a man who had lost his brother fighting against Aegon early in the conquest but had become a trusted follower of the Dragonlord after leading the Targaryen ground forces at the Field of Fire. Edmyn Tully, the new Lord Paramount of the Riverlands was also present. The rest of the honor guard were from the regions most loyal to Aegon, Lord Crispian Celtigar was also mounted and his men constituted a fair amount of the guard, and a few Velaryon men-at-arms who did not go with Aethon and Corlys were also present. There were many of the Riverlords and their retinues present as well, who saw Aegon as their liberator and were among his most fervent supporters. There were also Clawman champions of Crackclaw Point, looking rather uncouth and plain compared to the other knights but they had all but demanded to ride alongside Visenya, who they referred to as their ‘’Dragon Queen’’.

4ErPeUU3GKX8bemUhhq4MllYQWCQHpkGu1omdh3QWmWd6EpktokQ1IvAyO_NqzyAbrVE_IGhEFIGlwjQpCusYacgLr_cgkPg4ZWa1TbaLf5xFd-ZkB3Lob1djhy8RRpMLUbSvzA0
KILGXSqq2MpjrtEB0kVoFndB9SHbg4l3GCy7LF_1GJJav9jI-uvrtC1AgG-yfR1rHPUtkyqI-uFNW6ye6oJdpMY-CBYY2ARytqB9q9adWK4Vrh-PQr3FhhuDcv8ZWcJNrNZYjZTa

U1KSDNsoT9L7zLVi5YDufD6y3S0uEm2AdL3nMZN3jIFHqjf9eFosRjXILj_OiuIb4jjXK9pBTpPQo9bUFWNyeb6vmnWwNliFuc0_4RcoYeKvC1jBODJSn6tVDdWlUs5oxbKhUXpF

Aegon mounted a magnificent white stallion, the Targaryen colors hanging around its body on a caparison. He wore a full suit of black boiled leather armor with the indented dragon insignia of his house in the center, which was lined with silver and ruby, he wore a plain cloak of fine black furs which was fastened by a heavy chain of silver with a ruby dragon broach in the middle, and had Blackfyre at his side in a sheath of black leather. As the guard slowly made their way down the cobbled street, the Dragonlord looked every bit a Dragon King. The three Dragons, the Black Balerion, Silver Meraxes and Bronze Vhagar all followed from the skies, their wings creating winds all throughout the city.

As they passed the harbor, drunken sailors would poke their heads out of the small wine sinks and harborside taverns, many too drunk to even notice the dragons above them but still giving out drunken wordless cheers for the guard.

As they turned the corner from the harbor into the main cobbled street that led to the sept they were met with one of the largest crowds Aegon had ever seen, each side of the street was packed to the brim with the citizens of Oldtown and the surrounding communities yelling a wordless cheer, though many looked uneasily up to the sky, where the Dragons circled and kept a close eye on their masters.

‘’They love us Aegon.’’ Rhaenys said happily, throwing one of her silver rings into a crowd of children who immediately began searching for it.

‘’They love your silver especially.’’ Aegon said with a snort as the large column continued its slow procession to the Sept, beckoned forward by the ringing bells and the cheers of the people.

‘’Your sister speaks the truth.’’ Lord Paramount Edmyn Tully said, riding alongside Aegon, his orange-red hair blowing in the breeze of Dragon wings. ‘’They have never seen anything like this….they shall remember it for all their days.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’Days I hope shall be peaceful.’’

Edmyn was silent for a moment then chuckled ‘’Seven Hells but, I've never seen anything like this either, to be riding through the city of Oldtown, dragons above, a procession of men hailing from Dragonstone to Seaguard…. A strange turn of events from just months ago when we were under the boot of House Hoare, but a welcome turn to be sure, though I fear ‘’Black’’ Harren found them rather unwelcome.’’

Aegon gave a small laugh at that, he had come to appreciate the Lord of Riverruns whit and way with words. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a large contingent of Maesters from the citadel in the crowd, having come to get a glimpse of the Dragons and the new King.

The Lord of Riverrun face grew serious then ‘’Your Grace, my people have proved themselves at the Field of Fire, I hope you have come to appreciate their bravery.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’They represented their lands well.’’

This was true, while later songs would speak of the Targaryen victory against the forces of the Westerlands and the Reach at the Field of Fire as a victory won solely by the 3 Targaryens and their Dragons, the Riverlander forces played a significant role in the battle and acquitted themselves with discipline and honor under Jon Mooton.

‘’I ask that when you sail for the Iron Islands to put down the rebellions there, the men of the Riverlands be given the honor of making up your force, we have suffered much at the hand of the murderous Ironborn and wish for vengance.’’ Edmyn said.

Aegon paused a moment to consider it and then nodded ‘’It is granted, though I make it clear to you now this vengeance shall be limited to the field of battle, there will be no slaughter or rape of innocents, Ironborn or not when I take this crown they become my people.

Before Edmyn could respond, the grand walls of the Starry Sept came into view, its black marble walls and ornate glass windows shining in the sun, the large plaza in front of it was occupied by the men of house Hightower, at the forefront was Lord Manfred Hightower, who was an aged man of around sixty whos white hair was balding, though despite his age Aegon had come away with the few dinners they had shared with the impression that the man was capable and intelligent. Standing behind him were three of his sons, his eldest and heir Ser Addam Hightower, a thin black haired man with an equally thin mustache, Leyton who served as a septon, performing various duties in Oldtowns seven septs as well as the youngest Ser Garmon, a young man of 17 who took after his oldest brother in appearance. Lord Manfreds daughters and Grandchildren stood in the row behind him, with his most trusted household knights and lords of the surrounding villages bringing up the rear.

rgC-aFwWyAfjToFuj5qctfUPeXFw6piJ96zAa7dXcLbR5IJ7JZbczSdVGG0Pl5tpm_8azh0kdfy3azGFr-hfHeP50uNbVIvITSJyUbwlzU1OSSoq1RyCsP5TvXbh0To_SrCE2JgJ

Past the plaza, on the top of the steps to the Starry Sept was the High Septon, who in going with tradition abandoned his earthly name when he took the title. The High Septon was a rather unassuming man, blonde of hair with a thick mustache, garbed in a rather plain robe with thin threads of golden trim and apart from his crown of crystal, he wore no other jewels. His guards were more impressive, they were called the Warriors sons, and they were certainly more fitting with the luxurious reputation of Oldtown than their septon. They wore armor of silver, though the tops of hair shirts were visible, with rainbow cloaks around their shoulders, their shields were centered with a rainbow sword as their insignia. Among the Warriors sons was Ser Lyonel Hightower, Lord Manfreds second born son, a heavyset man that had inherited the silver hair some Hightowers were known for, not too dissimilar from the Targaryens. Out of all the Hightowers, Lyonel was the one Aegon had gotten to know best over the past few days in Oldtown as he had escorted them on their tour of the seven septs and unlike many pious men Aegon had encountered was quick with a joke and a laugh.
TpXtGUE5JaIELRjRC3Oioj_X89803cyiPuzuK6HPHO9361Sf82LdBVLO47m-4Ep30mNCpOWRJ_mbGsjrFMSAzC7_oc3-tA_ZfrHhat0i1lYA1O-GOGST5PeblMAo1GLyu5Vo6ups
waGxzOykEzvXaIjuFzjTsUaY3VjRVgo1Yr4NvkBZlucuWLLohbRZ7oSrgxAlgThS5evXteyW1LfGDhzkYmWowtQulZP26H4gSpah5AxjCpYyT93kZLfCkTZ2ppAF68MpaAA_kgiy

The crowd closest to the septs entrance was mostly of nobility and they had the grace to stand in silence as Aegon dismounted, though many had their eyes trained at the dragons in the sky, the crowds farther down the street still continued their raucous cheers.

Rhaenys stood beside him and took his hand quietly ‘’Are you ready for this brother?’’

Aegon nodded slowly, his eyes fixed on the sept as he slowly walked toward it.

His sister was not merely talking about his coming coronation which was to take place inside the Sept but also his conversion. While many would balk at the thought of abandoning the faith of their ancestors, Aegon and his sisters were not particularly devout, with Aegon being of the mindset that the accomplishments of him and his house had more to do with the aptitude of its members as opposed to divine will.

EZ23e4TGhkVOXBsXmpxaBsJXYosZbK8yoCXpRlyVcjkKLQJBVzbOf15cKVutmEHG3yJ_hD65ragaeRJhkFQivF3PdsJuLdrGywZ6IGsooAlo_YfZI11zwtaoIFCzndanxVPB2FMN

As Aegon made his way to the High Septon, the man bowed his head in respect, a surprise to some of his guards, many of whom looked at Aegon and his sister-wives with thinly veiled disgust.

‘’The faith welcomes you, Aegon Targaryen, both to Oldtown and to the brotherhood of our faith.’’ The man said.

Aegon nodded, and the septon held out his hand in a gesture to the entrance to the sept and together he and Aegon walked inside, the warriors sons, his sisters, and select members of his honor guard, with various other lords, the young lord Arryn and his mother among them. Bringing up the rear, while many others crowded at the entrance.

The High Septons seven day contemplation on whether to surrender the city made all the sense in the world to Aegon as he knelt on the cold marble floor of the sept, the high septon rattling off about each of the seven gods, anointing Aegon with each of the respective 7 oils, before finally at long last proclaiming Aegon Targaryen, Ser Aegon Targaryen, giving him the title of knight to much applause, and welcoming the new King into the faith of the seven.

The second part of the coronation went much quicker, with the high septon naming Aegon Targaryen the first King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First men, and lord and protector of the Seven Kingdoms. The high septon had been told in advance on what to say, and many an eye was raised when Aegon was named King of the Rhoynar and the seven Kingdoms, as Dorne had not yet been conquered, but it was clear to all involved that Aegon saw the independence of Dorne as a state that would not last much longer.

Finally, the High Septon took Aegon's crown, a heavy band of forged Valyrian steel, forged with rubies and placed upon the conqueror's head. This was a notion that Aegon himself found quite ridiculous, in truth he had been coronated once before soon after landing in Westeros, albeit with a much smaller crowd, and he had worn the crown ever since, but Visenya had eventually talked him into the practicality of a second coronation in the greatest city in the Seven Kingdoms.

6Ve-KJOnwCN5qWHOr-5yXnJQnb2d3Tf-aLgKDeCWe5-CT1qUIa4fpsyK48IFrhdGDuUptJGi_Rf4tKZhWNu8U2oyfTVu9t9LqKG7Pa6so2EJfW6PV5iGqaAN3h21AuwALMOJwMn4

G5NcmWW-PPddSCm10XUqBnKtPJPBcdskO08FJ4yAx73F5AsleeiBKtIdFpLrNokUxqfyc3TBGuqzjPGpHYC_LhoyIMma18BDZAgkLza7lwS3NAQA-FjDzDw6Ck8shANXqWk8CgXh

King Aegon Targaryen, First of his Name, rose from the cold marble floor to the applause of his new people, with the cheering going on for quite some time. As he stood in the sept, overlooking the sept, Rhaenys took his hand.

‘’Long live the King’’ she smiled.

Some Time Later
Plaza outside the Starry Sept

The Hightower, though a luxurious dwelling and palace was as one might expect totally incapable of hosting the amount of lords, knights, and courtiers that had come from all over the realm for Aegon's coronation, so the decision was made for the Coronation feast to be helf outside the sept in the great plaza, with over 100 large wooden tables being set up for the event. The King's table was a magnificent one of oak with gold and silver inlay while the closer one got to the steps, the tables were simple wooden trestle tables.

It was an uneven gathering of lords to say the least. The majority of those present were lords of the Reach, who had the shortest journey to make as well as the Riverlords, who constituted the majority of Aegon's forces upon arriving in Oldtown. The stormlords were almost completely absent, as Aegon trusted his half brother Orys to administer oaths of fealty to the King in own name. The Westerlanders were notably absent, with Loren Lannister claiming to have business to attend to, and most of the lords having already sworn fealty after the field of fire. The Northerners too were in short supply, Aegon had tasked Torrhen Stark, his new Warden of the North, to make preparations to put down the rebellion in the Sisters, whether personally or by delegation. He entrusted Torrhen Stark with the duty of collecting oaths of fealty in his place as well, having a sense that the Northerner was an honorable man. Aegon knew little of the northerners but he sensed they would be uncomfortable in Oldtown, its wealth and exuberance a ‘’stark’’ contrast to their more simple and sturdy realm. That was not to say none were present as a few of the younger, more adventurous lordlings had made the long journey south, eager to see the world. There were a good deal of Clawmen and other crownlanders present as well.

There were no Ironborn present at the coronation, in truth Aegon knew little of the exact situation there except that there was both a priest and a noble both vying for power in the islands no doubt causing death and suffering, which Aegon immediately planned to attend following his coronation.

There were 3 Lord Paramounts present at the feast, Harlan Tyrell of the Reach, Edmyn Tully of the Riverlands and the young Ronnel Arryn, a young fair haired boy of eight who had made the trip with his mother and regent Sharra Arryn with a rather small host, escorted by Visenya.
K_NM6UIKoWIhXFNEuHn34kqR_9Hq2Pawl7CYgpxAIy0T2N3TIA3RqV0lETNDOXvAIU2qXusmm71S5OtFGiV5MD8WZdOZ2ARjRSMn57kWaDiFI8X-Rm_jx9t8x3uf2hoZahWmfZCZ
q6T7kjcNIAjD5JLv-4X6xghYD2zBtJxM7LqpCOirXsTaYxTWK01taQv38pDfJylLEW6g8dg__pMBFvtIzpkoYIH6naM1pjlzQBuxSXDMhMbp73bFWxjNXI7qsFZuju7FS5H9K4lj

Harlan Tyrells retinue was rather paltry, even compared to the young lord of the Vale, who had only brought a small amount of lords and knights. He had only just been recently named the Lord of Highgarden and had not had time to consolidate his position, as such most of his retinue were hedge knights of low renown or nobles from minor families, in contrast to the great retinues many of the Reach lords brought.

The first part of the feast took two hours, with Aegon receiving oaths of fealty from the lords of the Reach and a small amount of Vale lords. When it came time for Ronnels oath, the young boy had recited the words and quickly asked Visenya when he might ride Vhagar again, to which the Queen had smiled and promised him another ride around the Eyrie on her next trip to the Vale, referencing the fact he had received a ride when he had given up his crown.

The day was a warm one, and the feast was rich and plentiful, yet despite the lavishness of the events there were some tense moments. At one of the farther benches a young Reach lordling from a small yet proud family had stood up and loudly announced that he found the fact that he was seated next to the ‘’wild and uncivilized’’ Clawmen insulting to a man of his position, causing a silence to fall over the feast.

Visenya, ever protective of the clawmen, stood up and asked the young lordling if he would prefer accommodations with her Dragon Vhagar, to which the young man had meekly sat down. There were decidedly less seating complaints after that.

Many other tense moments had occurred, specifically in the context of the Reach lords of noble blood, who were upset that Aegon had granted the Lord Paramountship of the Reach And Highgarden to what was commonly termed ‘’an umpjumped steward’’

One such example had come when the young Lord Perwyn Redwyne, lord of the Arbor and owner of one of the largest fleets in Westeros had come to pledge fealty to the new King.

ML4h04TaebS_z07LsaRqL1GEmW5DbpSho9klcDI17uHcqQw438CrLlitxf4IEL_NfQGHmooYmLr2Ce-JHSh4RHIju3CMw6G5gK_dVNxjYV2qISh5MNrhAzlx6j7nbzuP3DjHP87R

‘’I must congratulate you on your ascension, your grace, I remember when you visited the Arbor some years ago, I was just a boy then.’’ The man had said to which Aegon had nodded and thanked him, offering condolences for the death of his father, who had hosted him and Visenya

‘’I hear you mean to sail to the Iron Islands your grace,and as the owner of one of the largest fleet in the realm, I should be glad to send my ships to transport your army to the Isles, the Ironborn bastards would never dare to attack such strength at sea.’’ Perwyn had continued.

‘’I thank you for your pledge, Lord Redwyne.’’ Aegon had said guardedly, he had been King a short time but he knew that such promises were seldom made out of the goodness of one's heart, a suspicion he was correct in.

‘’Though, I fear I will not be able to assist you fully in my current role, I feel you have received unwise counsel your grace, specifically as it pertains to Harlan Tyrell, the man was responsible for cleaning the shit in Highgarden, the upkeep of the sewers and to make him the Protector of the Reach is an insult to half a dozen noble families such as my own, who have ruled in our land longer than that line of shit-shovelers.’’

Aegon was silent at that, Visenya overhearing and giving Aegon a look, the young lord was oblivious however and continued to prattle on.

‘’Therefore I would to pledge my fleet to your war your grace, but I feel I can do little until this matter is resolved.’’ He continued on before stopping and waiting for a response.

Aegon was silent for a good while, Perwyn standing rather uncomfortably waiting for a response.

When he did respond it was in a quiet tone as to not disturb the feasting around him.

‘’You shall be providing those ships Lord Redwyne, as is your obligation, regardless of your current station, and I received no unwise counsel my lord, the decision to name Lord Tyrell as protector of the Reach was mine alone….your obligations as a vassal are not negotiable like a mule at market…I shall be expecting your ships at Seaguard within the fortnight my lord, but you will not be Protector of the Reach.

Perwyn was silent at that, and the King let him stew a little before continuing.

‘’Once your obligations are complete I shall see you are rewarded in a more appropriate manner.’’ The King said.

‘’Your Grace?’’ Perwyn asked, rather sullenly.

‘’I shall take on your eldest boy Ryan I believe he is called as a page, and if he proves able later as a Squire, have him sent to the Aegonfort, my new capitol, I shall take him on upon my return from the islands, in addition send the boys twin sister, my sister Rhaenys could use a handmaiden at court.’’ Aegon said coolly.

Perwyn Redwyne looked pleased at that ‘’You do my house an honor lord, my son shall no doubt be thrilled to squire for the King.’’ The young lord said, unaware of the tactical move Aegon had just made.

mZKaMjfAhKCoZHcxgX8nS_VHJAUnnihhE9rvgHlOysuZQHaBnrxd5_ozr19TQWSqiBJvi_ekjns-yoTfXr-MHshru_MFGCFmAm8YM-3Xp-3XtxhaUfCLq5da2AqpwhmQyEtTyJFh
vfnmDjF3PrwX4mj9HcRRtjA531ZRLq-pHr8YeNQTWFCNJdWGgjXzues44e6d5TWZ9pqfcIpjogAy1AVxyxuHncerOcj_oqdt5Bnk73PtK5JCIhWFvZPDkmMXNLR3_56hNIjI9TTZ

As Lord Redwyne walked off, Visenya shook her head.

‘’Damned fool’’ She said

‘’A trend among these Reach lords I am learning.’’ Aegon said, taking a sip of wine.

Things had gone more smoothly after this, with the King calling both Harlan Tyrell and Edmyn Tully to his table.

‘’Do you both have men you can trust?’’ Aegon had asked them to which both had replied yes.

Aegon had nodded and then summoned them both to his new capital in King's Landing, to serve on what he called the small council, Harlan as the Master of Coin and Edmyn Tully as master of laws. Aegon was somewhat hesitant to recall Harlan Tyrell away from his realm when he was clearly not completely consolidated but Harlan had assured him his Castellan, Lord Wilbert Osgrey, one of his few allies in the Reach and a powerful lord was a just and diligent man more than capable of dealing with any problems that may arise.

As the feast began to wind down, Aegon stood in front of the lords and announced his intention of the formation of a Kingsguard, which would have at least one representative from each of the major Kingdoms. He bid the lords to return to their Kingdoms with this news and for interested unmarried knights to present themselves at the Aegonfort in Kings Landing for consideration after he returned from the Isles.

Following this other minor honors were handed out to those that had served Aegon well in the conquest. Edmyn Tully's eldest daughter Minisa was to be taken as a handmaiden to serve Rhaenys in court as recognition for the lord of River Runs loyalty. Visenya rewarded the clawmen by taking a girl of house Boggs as a handmaiden, though Visenya was not as pleased with the idea as Rhaenys. Finally, Harlan's son, Theo Tyrell, already a squire to his father, was taken in by Aegon as his second and primary squire. Lord Mooton was offered such an honor but preferred his children to stay in Maidenpool. In addition to this, Edmyns brother Brynden Tully, a capable man was offered command of the not yet formed city watch in the new capitol, a post which he accepted.

0SMRF--koE2eNSwU9upQvWrfy350wiIXzmlIr72x1H1PtvtnnjH-KpTZ3aURx0xGHLtpQ9-jIkUYYUpmTWqqAW6BnSxwzcodfojtHyN6ZdJ79iEJthY40CgFTeoJ0ROCojBBRSri
ZY5h_JQsEE99h_ckvXahJbKGg2YD7u6K7fajBPzvdGg-WIOjgPb7fJR092eX_3f1kI4v4zUxgvH4Fd3I3KSdc_OzZ1gDahUftbOgOTyJf3ACaqaeGC029WaXhj8Be5WHTXCepMSf
w-OT8BsHZlLZhxfvtXnMxJocFs0Zb4CROkd_boo7HncNFy4tunQrhJY1Hf1BMZ2lVjFoq7e9xf4Zkt-qrZNO2qGmrAEXW_YJR8KI0BoFFym5miv4aVrpeXbdOTXj6A0aCPLChwgH

jGygF1SKTHYEPfGWv8VIuqhcAIsRPdKA_KrPKfd6_kcidllJB0ZwR8xaxFt_pCRrhA1YQvVSZmvKeSrRbstUHKNk_w2lUpoVDAtujp0gI_71uqsWb5WLT2JrvlTf02HfHuku79tL

The feast went on long past sunset, the same pink streaks in the dark sky as the night before, with one of the Dragons in the bay, flying like a dark shadow in the night.

As Aegon sat there, looking out to the bay he let himself enjoy the peace for in the morning, preparations for the coming expedition to the Iron Islands would begin.

o6fd-Dxl5TD1pdFu4DEoszX0_aC7tfiV_lPG_3dPfLg3uueJ0AG0_39LN8WX7Dn_RQIVvZhK8ZNx-DJ7Eztsq_gyQnNexNv-slWzQ2qU6j7S90rxETiL_x017GFVZP4vH1EEF2Yx

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It would've been interesting to stay Valyrian religion, but conversion is the pragmatic move.

Visenya has good points, but Aegon's worries are justified.

Rhaenys, pushing onto Dorne will get you killed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would've been interesting to stay Valyrian religion, but conversion is the pragmatic move.

Visenya has good points, but Aegon's worries are justified.

Rhaenys, pushing onto Dorne will get you killed.
Yeah I considered staying with the Valyrian Religon but considering Aegon has the cynical trait it didnt make much sense for him to endanger his rule by alienating himself even further.

I hope that the conquest of Dorne, whenever it comes ends up better for Rhaenys than it did in canon.

Reactions:
Chapter 2: The Dragons Moot (Aegon)
20th of 3rd Moon, 7999
Bay of Lordsport

Aegon stood at the front of the ship, his hand resting on Blackfyre, a habit despite him not expecting to see combat any time soon…or at least he hoped.

Stretched out in front of him were the choppy gray waters outside of Lordsport, the largest town in the Iron Islands and the place of their disembarkment as there was no safe anchorage directly near Pyke so they would land at the town and ride the rest of the way. He could of course ride Balerion and save himself a ride, but he planned to arrive at Pyke with a retinue, as even he was not so bold as to enter the chief fortress of the Ironborn without at least a few swords around him.

The day was as gray as the sea, with light stinging rain falling from the dark clouds as a fiercely cold wind blew through the bay.

‘’Largest city in the Iron Islands they say…if you can even call it a city…both Hull and Spice Town are bigger than this.’’ Aegon's cousin Corlys Velaryon said referring to the two towns on the fertile island of the Velaryons, the rain dripping down his white armor and making his white cloak more of a gray.

It had taken a little over a month for the Redwyne fleet to arrive at Seaguard, time enough for both of his Velaryon cousins to arrive from their task of delivering the burned swords from Harrenhal and the Field of Fire to the capitol, where it was currently being forged into a throne.

Upon his cousins arrival to Seaguard, where they were hosted by Lord Lyonel Mallister, a Riverlord who had both personally joined and pledged many men to the expedition, Aegon had proposed his sister Visenyas idea to his cousin Corlys that he become both the first member and commander of his planned guard, the Kingsguard. Though his cousin was only 19 years of age, he was a fine sword and had acquitted himself well in the conquest, and more importantly was devoted to his older cousin. Corlys had knelt and accepted the honor, pledging to defend the King with his life and thus the Kingsguard was created in the hall of Seaguard.

8mxDyAXQ6zhrEWJ0YU_6t7b2Uu_rTlGGJ8fGohhFOsVklvupPyGqONiu-ktL89Jq_G2qbE6fxsIGeRgCqc4wQuNPGrfd07eVmBse30mza5DBn2KUnuclKpQrnWjMbMZPnm8fs0jQ
1YXBiGSp8ejNVtA4hrcLULcLumR28HRqqBdgQTf-ukeIpnhvQKhGL30AngxWBuyQhoQ4Q-6cagMLu0Dayn01d1r9FEpjJySli3SWP_Zkd7io1sLxH6zn1RjUZOpMeghJJt5JGrz0

Aegon had sent Visenya and Rhaenys back to the capitol to assist Orys instead of bringing them along with him, one Dragon was all he would need. He had given Visenya authority to choose the other members of his Kingsguard, and the candidates were likely gathering at the capitol at this very moment for consideration.

In regards to Lordsport, his cousin spoke true, the town was quite small, with there almost seeming to be more ships in the harbor than houses visible, though he guessed many Ironborn lived further inland in isolated hamlets, they were not a particularly communal people.

g9ZiiohLSQspYtHePNTbr4pwZUlRwrYXSMbBI8s-geSOWXg5SkFU4n9z9KEND865rH5m0pHHsePFdasVIW-3eMTlJneRsCPKe6EIUUBT8FW87pirTUckzykr02FVtz0hpYvhLhTR

‘’As the Ironborn are fond of saying, the sea is their home, towns are likely to hold the women, children and old men during the raiding season.’’ Aegon said.

Corlys raised his brow ‘’I didn't take you for an expert on matters of Ironborn society.’’

Aegon chuckled ‘’A King should know his people, he must if he is to order them to change their ways.’’ Along with studying the geography of Westeros prior to his invasion, Aegon had spent many a night hunched over the painted table in Dragonstone while a hired Maester tutored him on the complexities of the land he had ambitions to rule.

Aegon spoke true, among the things to be determined at the council in Pyke was the changes to the Ironborn way of life that would have to be made to integrate them into the Realms society.

Aethen Velaryon, Corlys’s older brother, the Lord of Driftmark and the master of ships went to the prow of the ship to join them, despite being used to the seas, the stresses of overseeing the organization and transport of 260 ships and 13000 riverlander warriors had clearly weighed on him, and he had a tired and fatigued look to him.

‘’You sure you do not want the fleet brought to harbor, we might not be able to fit all of them but we could get a good bit.’’ Aethen said.

The King shook his head ‘’As I remember you telling me once, a ship in the harbor is like a sword in its sheath, let them see our strength at sea, I don't expect any defiance or treachery, not after Drumm Hall and Volmark but i'd rather have a man I trust remain here with the fleet at the ready…..and it is probably for the best I dont unleash an army of Riverman on Lordsport after all they have endured at the hands of the Ironborn.’’

Aethen nodded ‘’Noone will get the jump on us Aegon.’’

The King truly did not expect any meaningful defiance or forceful resistance on the Islands, the examples he had made of the rebelling Ironborn had likely removed any ideas of resistance from the other lords. He had dealt with Qhorin Volmark first, the Lord Volmark, who had named himself King of the Iron Islands, had sent his forces to siege and plunder a neighboring fortress, no doubt expecting the King would be months away in arriving…he was wrong.

Aegon did not bother engaging the Volmark army, he did not even land his fleet, instead he rode Balerion ashore and flew to Volmark, making a demand to Qhorin that he surrender his fortress, and like Harren at Harrenhal, the lord Volmark was proud and confident that his walls would stand up to the beast and refused. Aegon had then set about burning the castle on the back of Balerion, facing little resistance as few of the garrison used bows and he stayed out of range of the Ironborns heavy throwing spears and axes. After just a few moments of burning the castle, Lord Qhorin had realized his mistake, came out of his keep and surrendered stating that it was him that he was after and his ancestral lands did not need to burn. Lord Qhorin had been captured and confined below deck in one of the other ships, his lands stripped, both the fate of Volmark and its Lord would be settled in Pyke.

bPjjNTzMeAn-nHiOes5sojZIFaAw3wIVrVfVFSCwbYNsTNgY0pmugzJOohc_YlmrkxSfBs3m0u_aUNR8Nfgy5rU0Ahz_d8qSji_QE096XaqHPoxC0gfBxXCUFCyXAmaixFbD0vjP

The other uprising was not put down so easily. A drowned priest by the name of Lodos had gathered some 15,000 Ironborn on the Island of Old Wyk, both peasant and warrior alike. The location of the uprising was significant, as it was the place in Ironborn myth that the legendary Gray King had slain the Sea Dragon Nagga, and according to Lodos would also be the place where the false Dragon King met his end. There was much confusion among the ironborn to the rumors of Dragons as virtually all the Ironborn who were present to see the burning of Harrenhall had also met their end there. Many claimed that this so-called ‘’Dragon King’’ had no actual Dragon and was named for his banner, which explained why so many ironborn were prepared to fight Aegon.

After dealing with Volmark, Aegon had landed his force of some 13,000 Riverlanders near Great Wyk and marched to meet Lodos in battle, outside of the keep called Drum Hall. The Ironborn, arranged in three great shield walls, had learned the truth of the matter as it related to Aegon's dragons, many to their death. Nearly 1000 Ironborn had burned to death, with several times that number sustaining wounds, and it didn't take long for Lodos’s army, mostly peasants and poor freeholders, to flee the field, to which Aegon allowed them to escape. Lodos to his credit did not flee, and even attempted to slay Balerion when Aegon landed, though the Drowned priest was severely burned and later died of his wounds. Aegon's losses had amounted to just 140 men killed and wounded, many of them being overly zealous Mallister men, who, eager to avenge the years of plundering to their people, had pursued the retreating Ironborn, many of them being ambushed and slain, as a fleeing Kraken is still a kraken.

TRcjKFFIb_eZxBDjuphdmv1SztKNx3UN-ZdSwIYHvxu1lSHvHwLhoQ4OQjf7QXEndcWBtWKnSN7-FVCn6SgaVk69MUF8To9yoqtVD-ekqxRZmQJf_3uzQducmwiCYrvo8yBhBF7L

With both immediate threats dealt with and the Ironborn Lords sufficiently cowed, Aegon had messages sent to all the major islands, summoning them to meet at Pyke, the strongest fortress in the Islands and among the most ancient. Aegon had told them little except that there the future of the Iron Islands and its people would be discussed.

‘’All right, drop the boats, we head ashore.’’ Aegon commanded, to which Aethen nodded and ordered several smaller ships lowered by rope to the side of the ship, after all the boats for the Kings retinue had been lowered another rope for climbing down was tossed over, swinging perilously in the wind on the wooden hull, with the choppy gray waves swirling below.

Aegon scaled down first, he was a strong and athletic man so it posed little trouble for him, Corlys wasn't far behind and slowly the rest of his retinue made their way down the rope into the small rowboats. The King was bringing about twenty men in all, including two lords. Jon Mooton of Maidenpool who had commanded the Targaryen ground forces at the field of fire and led Aegon's Honor Guard at Oldtown would reprise his role and command Aegon's guard, while Lyonel Mallister of Seaguard also insisted on making the trip, determined to see the Riverlanders old enemies humbled.

The last to scale down the rope was Aegon's squire Theo Tyrell, a boy of ten and son to Lord Paramount Harlan. One of the Mallister guards offered to help him down to which the lad refused , made it about halfway down before a sudden wind caused him to tumble the rest of the way down, landing with pride bruised but otherwise unharmed, which garnered a good deal of laughter from the men in the boat but a pat on the back from Corlys.

The two rowboats slowly made their way to shore, the rain letting up for a while, as the waves lessened and the fog cleared, Aegon spotted Balerion in the distance, diving into the waters and flying out, mouth full of fish. This did not escape the attention of the townsfolk of Lordsport, as a large number had gathered at the harbor, and their shock was visible from the boat, as many yells of fright were heard while the older townspeople conversed in hushed tones.

As the rowboats made it close to the harbor, a blonde haired man with a thick beard wearing a dark and faded tunic gestured them into an open spot along the harbor, and tossed them a rope, to which Aegon's men tied to a post and disembarked.

Once Aegon disembarked, the man approached and kneeled.
‘’Your Grace, Lordsport welcomes you….I am Triston, the headman of the town.’’ The man said.

_bV0ESEFLpU7pUu3xXl89SctYLkTi4eGWAn9XrcOG_bAUZZ5-lGo0tEfi7LDu8Gwl_mky44CUVmvH4zMA0nNgO_gcNoYnAo0a-ZmWq8nnfSDZegcpenZV7EtjVV_cuS5fQB8FndL

Aegon nodded and waved him to his feet.

‘’We have been expecting your arrival, we have prepared ponies and I shall take you to the Castle of Pyke personally, the other Lord Reavers have already arrived.’’ Triston said, gesturing to the harbor, which was filled with many Longships of varying sizes, well over a dozen banners of different houses waving in the wind.

‘’We should get going then.’’ Aegon said, nodding to his men who began to mount on the shaggy ponies, who while much smaller and less intimidating than the steeds used by Knights on the mainland, looked to be sturdy and hardy.

As Aegon made his way to a pony, Triston paused and approached him.

‘’Your Grace, if I may.’’ He said uncertainty.

‘’Speak freely.’’ Aegon said, crossing his arms.

‘’I would be a poor headman if I did not inquire about your beast before leaving….are my people safe?’’ The headman of Lordsport asked.

‘’They are…..so long as there is no provocation you have my word no harm shall come to them.’’ Aegon said, mounting up.

‘’I am glad to have it your Grace…and you have my word you will find no provocation here…especially at Pyke…you will be a guest there and my people do not kill guests.’’ Triston said as he took the weakest pony for himself.

‘’An honorable notion….a pity this mercy does not extend to unarmed women and old men.’’ Lord Lyonel snorted, to which he was ignored.

The retinue of around twenty men made their way past the town of Lordsport, whose expanse ended quite quickly and gave way to rocky grasslands and hills. Aegon rode at the front, with Corlys as the commander of his new Kingsguard immediately beside him. Theo Tyrell rode at his other side, mounted on a pony and holding the Targaryen banner, which was almost as big as he was. Behind them rode Lyonel Mallister, while John Mooton rode at the rear, after posting guards on the flanks.

Lord Mallister rode up to join them ‘’Your Grace, your sense of justice to be admired but I must say I feel as though you are being too lax with these Ironborn, for hundreds of years they raided my peoples lands, burning villages and raping and stealing our women.’’

Aegon sighed ‘’And what do you suggest Lord Lyonel?’’

‘’They should be purified in Dragonfire…..that town of Lordsport looks undefended, I suggest you order your beast to purge this race of rapists and thieves…an eye for an eye.’’ Lord Lyonel said, his voice rising in intensity.

‘’Lord Lyonel, you have provided many men to this expedition and have served me well so I say this with the respect you are due….do not deign to tell me what I should do with my Dragon, and never suggest to me again the slaughter of innocents.’’ Aegon said sternly, to which the Lord had nodded and fell back in line.

The Riverlords' insistence for revenge was becoming an annoyance for Aegon, and despite their bravery and loyalty, he was beginning to regret his decision of bringing them here to the land of their sworn enemies.At least once a week he had to deal with one RIverlord or another…it had been Lord Lyonel last week, offering their services to become overlord of the Isles, with many proclaiming their plans of how the Ironborn would be kept in line through force, and would be forced to pay reparations for their centuries of plundering.

Aegon knew this would never work, the Ironborn were a proud people and any attempt to put them under a foreign lord would only be met with resistance, blood, and war, and Aegon was determined to find a solution that would both bind the Ironborn to the realm and prevent further bloodshed.

‘’Your Grace, we are here.’’ Triston said, gesturing ahead of them to the fortress of Pyke.

RMU27eiHz6E376KCbL9gc7AQNa8weDzfvrmxro40tVb8YczugyqW1rE6-6sCbbdv2ioUNOxNAsjVq48peYZB3FUSPeKqP-bOdb-287rNa9RCawYSko5y8c9vb9uBHsLJg_49JsWp

It was an impressive sight, even for Aegon who had seen the city of Oldtown and traveled to two of the Free Cities. Rather than a single fortress it was built upon several massive islands jutting out of the sea. The largest island holding the main keep.

‘’How do they not fall off the rocks?’’ young Theo Tyrell said, pointing at the various keeps.

‘’Most of the structures were not built by outside material, they were carved out of the rock thousands of years ago….they are the island little lord.’’ Triston explained.

The retinue first came to a large curtain wall, a good distance from the cliffs and still built on land, an Iron portcullis, stained green with lichen was raised and Aegon and his retinue made their way in, as men in sealskin armed with spears watched from the ramparts.

‘’I shall see that the horses are fed and watered your grace, the Great Keep is the first Island past this bridge….I shall be here upon your return.’’ Triston said and Aegon nodded his thanks.

They made their way to the cliff's edge, where a large stone bridge stood, connecting the Curtain wall on land to the island.

‘’Hope you're not afraid of heights lad.’’ Corlys chuckled, looking to Theo and making his way across the bridge along with the King, the young squire quickening his pace, still holding the Targaryen banner.

They made their way to the Great Keep, which was made of lichen covered stone, but nonetheless looked formidable.

‘’I'll go in first.’’ Corlys said, stepping ahead and pushing the heavy Iron door open, his other hand upon his sheathed sword.

The hall was dim and smokey, owing to the huge fire pit that ran across the middle of the keep, almost 20 feet long. At the end of the hall was a large throne of black stone carved into the shape of a Kraken, seeming to shimmer in the fire. There were two large tables on each side of the hall, each holding around 50 men, though from what Aegon knew the Great Keep’s purpose was for holding court, while the Kitchen Keep, an island down, served as the feast hall.

The hall had around two dozen men in it, constituting most of the notable Ironborn landholders, though the rulers of a few islands were not present due to being children, many a powerful lord had burned alongside Harren and Harrenhall, and there were an unusual amount of young boy rulers in the Iron Isles as a result of these deaths.

The Ironborn Lords were standing in the center of the keep, standing along the firepit talking amongst themselves before turning to face the door when it opened.

‘’Ah….the Dragon King is here.’’ One of the Ironborn, a man with a shock of dark black hair and a tangled beard said, stepping forward.

‘’He is.’’ Aegon said simply.

‘’Then I welcome ye to Pyke….foremost fortress in the Isles, you were right to hold this moot here.’’ The man said before getting closer, causing Corlys to stand in front of him, hand on his sword.

‘’That's close enough Ironborn.’’ Corlys said coolly.

The man laughed ‘’Easy boy, I mean to shake his hand, not murder him…and if I meant to murder you id be far away from the actual event as to not face the wrath of your Dragon.’’

Corlys looked to his cousin, and Aegon nodded, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard stepping aside.

The man extended his hand ‘’Vickon Greyjoyy, owner of this keep and member of one of the oldest clans in the Isles.’’

aN9U3O4bi2skEZQJAqBorlT80AygDEgH_wVzFdrpc2dbKE5aRx1w-EiaqOez6QZIx3PqkK6LwOdJzsy20z6gVlN6wLqticU5l_FAgbuGYyh0Q4j4qlfDiEtNQkYmVk8BrtaRWxt2

Aegon took it and the two men exchanged a tight handshake.

‘’The thing I like about handshakes is ye can get a measure of a man from them….i've a strong grip and many a man tries to wriggle free, but you met steel with steel so to speak.’’ Vickon said with a chuckle.

‘’Well go on make yourself comfortable we've got benches over the…’’ Vickon began but stopped as Aegon made his way past the Lord of Pyke and seated himself upon the Seastone Chair, leading to an instant outcry among the Ironborn lords.

All eyes turned to Vickon Greyjoy, who was slightly red in the face, his arms crossed.

‘’I'm a proud man…’’ Vickon began slowly ‘’but no doubt the Dragon King is just borrowin me seat and means to return it when our business is concluded.’’ he finished.

Aegon nodded ‘’The sooner the better.’’ He scanned the room ‘’Shall we begin?’’

Some Time Later
Great Hall of Pyke

‘’You cannot be serious!.’’ shouted the aged Sargon Saltcliffe ‘’It is our way of life….the old way our fathers and grandfathers have practiced.’’

Victarion Botley, lord of Lordsport’s keeps another of the elder Ironborn nodded ‘’Aye….you cannot ask us to give up our way of life…it is our custom….taking a salt wife is how a boy becomes a man, how he proves his devotion to the Drowned God.’’

BBTobDtl8NgaKqAwGuEv_0noKJmteKUUCaf65_F4TF99Qlk48vsuaaRTOOkdl8mC5mUyxTql8er4PyFHrRfifE4xj8kJ2HqWueKjr1htJSzspeyDo-SN9fyF-oUYdWZRi3THLIgC

odqocTcwxdvDOuvNQLsizwLwbkuGmvYDjCN8Eds8eBE6v9cSJl3B1EpJwNCFDue70Ps7fcON_UjcgffBJQqTok97jcgkV8_vwjVnFVII9rns-PJnPZbRgoCyQ06XvzaaohfygDHn

‘’You misunderstand me my lord…I am not asking you….I am ordering you to cease all raids on my Kingdoms.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Dragons or no dragons you go too far with this.’’ Lord Victarion said stubbornly.

‘’You dare speak to your King that way.’’ Lyonel Mallister said heatedly, causing another cacophony of shouts to rise up through the hall.

It had been Rhaenys that insisted on it. On their way to Seaguard they had stopped at a small village that had lost almost all its women to Ironborn raiders over the years. Rhaenys had been so moved by this she promised the village elder she would make sure it never happened again.

Prior to departing Seaguard, she had insisted that Aegon find a way to stop the Ironborn raids on Westeros’s western shores and the custom of taking what they called ‘’Salt Wives’’ or non ironborn concubines, to which Aegon had agreed and presented the ultimatum to the lords there.

It was not going well, with the debate having raged on for almost half an hour, mostly spurred on by the two traditional lords of Saltcliffe and Lordsport.

Vickon Greyjoyy raised his hands for quiet and eventually he had it.

‘’I don't think what you are suggesting will work……at least without some sort of compromise….it's ingrained within our people…the old ways are within our soul…and you can't rip out a man's soul as easy as his fingers.’’ Vickon said, earning several nods from the Ironborn lords.

‘’We can try Ironborn.’’ Lyonel Mallister said, venom in his voice.

Aegon put up a hand for silence.

‘’What do you suggest then?’’ Aegon asked.

‘’We raid away from Westeros, the Summer Islands and the Free Cities…..north to the Shivering Sea even.’’ Vickon continued.

‘’It takes weeks of voyaging to reach those far off lands….it would decrease the plunder brought back threefold with the extra provisions and pay.’’ Lord Sargon Saltcliffe scoffed.

‘’Still it is better than nothing……and the plunder is greater to the east than some riverlander hovel.’’ mused Hilmar Drumm, the ruler of old Wyk, the holder of the Valyrian steel sword Red Rain which he had cleverly stolen from the Reynes of Castamere. For this feat he had been known as Hilmar the Cunning and was one of the most powerful Ironborn lords.

5oj5KB1-6DN3Yzf9rGjl6zDOT-0Qp8NKPgKUuvQq17MvR4jOBDpDBBGlMcI2mAtm3VO3HBGC8V5hSn4NcmB2S3k3gGv9mEYMwtm0s9Bon32qMdiWIzLFeYrEq0QWuv9xguU53nz_
f3PC3ifAT0Y0ql9E2na96KrQwt2IEKf393mnuSulI1ZwNNR6Q-8BNvP0qOETB6eyhXfenwEiStlCxMFV__1FUoHL_TeL539MnF5b8_FHJ5n5aJ9b2JkOTcIIMNe00LJdHIJ6lZvV

Aegon shook his head ‘’The free cities provide valuable trade to the realm, I wont have you intercepting contracted trade ships and stealing profits from the coastal towns….you can raid the Steppe Stones and Basilisk Isles.

Sigrin Harlaw, a young man with a brown beard stood ‘’King….I think you know that proposal wont work…frankly it is insulting.’’

x7KZ84kbEK9ieI3_j4piJnc1xBmr9xfwvi4VFO7wqOA6qSxn3RTF33SmEBEO7K9e_nS8K6dj6EHfFuQc_cVcugofudFRI7UCFo_bACJ2Z8xMUVmQhjMsZRGV6po7G3jGq6W-Kcie

‘’Would you prefer Dragonfire?’’ Lyonel Mallister said, and Aegon raised his hand once more for silence.

‘’Aye….looks like were in need of another compromise.’’ Vickon Greyjoy said.

Aegon raised his eyebrows ‘’You're in need of a compromise.’’ he corrected him.

‘’We won't raid ships coming west, only ones going east and to the other free cities…we want want to raid Dorne as well.’’ Vickon proposed.

Aegon hesitated a moment before answering, on one hand Ironborn raids could weaken Dorne for his eventual conquest, on the other he would be condemning people, mostly citizens that would one day be his own to death.

‘’You have leave to raid Dornish patrol boats as well as their trading ships, but only in the narrow sea…no fishing boats or coastal villages.’’ Aegon said.

‘’You drive a hard bargain.’’ Vickon said, crossing his arms.

‘’It is not a bargain.’’ Aegon said coolly, making it clear that the negotiation was done.

‘’Very well….I for one am agreed.’’ Vickon said and slowly the other Ironborn lords nodded their assent, though many did not look pleased about it.

The next order of business was to decide on the fate of both Qhorin Volmark and his lands. Qhorin was respected as a warrior and the Ironborn were quite adamant that they wanted him alive, even though he pillaged some of Sigrin Harlaws lands in his pursuit of the Kingship.

‘’’’Black’’ Harrens brother, one of our own people leads the night's watch, and he does it well….send Qhorin there….the night's watch could use some real steel among them fancy knights.’’ Suggested Vickon, to which Aegon had nodded, he would send a ship with Qhorin to the Shadow Tower after this business was concluded.

IHp8vdjAGel6-9nhzm5lpk_zKry0nDrAcfRwhNsDwumpWuWQHErwt5ej8yneunpK7MEHAQZYWe1874RWDPOsr8K8Hvm3lnGCp0VN3FZQQGQZACfPQHaiAJYJiocRL5gprKHvv7Yn

Aegon did not take much council in regards to the castle of Volmark and the surrounding lands, deciding himself to give it to Sigrin Harlaw, as it was his demesne and thus his land by right.

The final matter to be settled was the matter of who was to lead the Iron Islands as Lord Paramount. To which Aegon had allowed the Ironborn to vote one of their own to the title. The King knew that if peace was to be kept then whoever led the Isles would need respect to keep his fellow Ironborn in line and could not be seen as a puppet.

In the end it came down to Vickon Greyjoy and Hilmar Drumm, both had been expecting the opportunity and had prepared their speeches well. Hilmar was a few years older and was much respected for his capture of Red Rain, however his gifts to the electors were poor, not for the lord of Old Wyks lack of wealth but the lord was a man that kept his fortune close to him and was loath to part with it.

Vickon Greyjoy on the other hand had the much larger army and fleet, and his ownership of Pyke, the largest fortress in the Iron Islands and the Seastone chair gave him legitimacy, however there were lords present that had seen the act of Aegon sitting on the Sea Stone Chair as tarnishing the Greyjoy Lords honor.

It was dead even as the time for the last vote came, the aged lord Sargon Saltcliffe the only one to not have declared his intention. After a moment's pause, and a look at the pile of treasure Vickon Greyjoy had set out to be distributed among those that had voted for him, the Lord Saltcliffe and declared his support for Vickon, thus giving him victory.

It had been a fast ceremony, as the Ironborn were not ones for drawn out procedures, with Aegon naming Vickon Greyjoy the Lord Paramount of the Islands and taking his oath of fealty from the Seastone chair, to which the other lords had done the same, albeit reluctantly as the knees of the Ironborn did not bend easily.

88IpYaMD3sDnIDdRjfzQae6HTJ1Qe75q8ugN4L-JLQTNm_GhjAhY3DDXv_guR0cYXar2-HiFTArc4Btpx7ygScVzz9_wbx1DS71fHDAlcgfUIP7B08e2qBr240NgfRsulnE-m4KW
fjh8byoviUdDckQqI8bE0SzD8Y1BACWSM_tXw6kVshnD4wxx1tR-47pXUVK3CjKyDv5kHPF1m3pE4vA5incaP1MnObVkKeN6AI7tlXley8QKW271hPIyPXYloQ6_4MzwojqTvost

There was to be a feast immediately afterwards in the Kitchen Keep, which was located on a separate island connected to the Great Keep by a large swaying rope bridge.

As the Lords of the Ironborn made their way out of the keep on their way to the feast, Aegon nodded to Vickon, signaling him to stay behind.

The hall was empty by now, except for Corlys Velaryon who stood at the heavy door, and Theo Tyrell, who waited at attention by the King.

‘’If your intention was to have a strong and respected ruler for the Islands than you've weakened me by taking me chair King...It will take time to regain my reputation.’’ Vickon said.

‘’You won didn't you?’’ Aegon said coolly.

‘’I did…I was the more deserving candidate after all…but it shouldn't have come down to Sargon Saltcliffes love of silver.’’

‘’I have no doubt you shall regain your reputation…after all they have you to thank for being able to retain their rights to reave.’’ Aegon said.

Before Vickon could reply, Aegon continued ‘’Now enough about your chair….tell me Lord Greyjoy, this agreement as it pertains to reaving…you think it will hold?’’

Vickon paused ‘’It will be difficult…but aye…I can keep them in line…there will be no raids on your Kingdoms.’’

‘’You understand what will happen if one of your lords should break our agreement, I have been lenient with your people, much to my vassals' anger but if there should be one raid on the soil of my Kingdom, the man responsible shall pay in kind.’’ Aegon said sternly.

‘’Pay in Dragonfire you mean?’’ Vickon asked.

Aegon nodded ‘’if necessary.’’

‘’There won't be a need for that, any man breaks their oath i'll kill him myself…take his eyes….I won't have it said that Vickon Greyjoy of the Isles allowed any oath made in Pyke to be broken.’’ Vickon said.

‘’Good.’’ Aegon replied, standing up from the Sea Stone Chair.

‘’I shall return your seat to you Lord Greyjoy…keep the peace and act with wisdom and we shall have no problems.’’ Aegon said, making his way to the door.

‘’You will stay for the feast?’’ Vickon asked ‘’we've prepared you a seat of honor.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’I will but only for a short while, though I fear we will have to do without the company of Lord Mallister, he has made his way back to the ships.’’

Vickon chuckled’’A shame to be sure.’’

Despite Aegon's proclamation that he would only stay for a short time, he stayed for several hours in the feast hall of Pyke, hearing the tales and songs of the Ironborn, and despite himself, found he had gained some amount of admiration for this warlike people.

Upon leaving the feast and making his way back to the ships, Aegon had tasked Aethen Velaryon with sailing the ships back to the Arbor, and entrusted Theo Tyrell to Corlys Velaryon, who would ride alongside Lord Mooton to Maidenpool, and from there the capitol. Aegon would fly on Balerion back to King's Landing and the Aegonfort, he had been away from it for over two years, and it was time to return…it was time to rule.

The Kings visit to Pyke would be remembered, both in song and in curse among the Ironborn, who while impressed with the sight of Balerion in the harbor of Lordsport also saw it as the day the Ironborn bent the knee and agreed to cease raids on Westeros…with the event being known ever since as ‘’The Dragons Moot.’’

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I really like the way your Ironborn are speaking. I will think about it as a headcanon from now on. If I ever find the time to reread the books, Theon's and Asha's chapters will be lit!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really like the way your Ironborn are speaking. I will think about it as a headcanon from now on. If I ever find the time to reread the books, Theon's and Asha's chapters will be lit!
Thanks! Hopefully it wasnt too jarring but I wanted to make them a little rough around the edges ''pirate'' sounding, though I think I only used it with one character.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks! Hopefully it wasnt too jarring but I wanted to make them a little rough around the edges ''pirate'' sounding, though I think I only used it with one character.
Oh, no, not at all, at least not for me, I really liked that little detail. Although it sounded more Scottish than pirate in my head XD

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 3: Kings Landing (Aegon)
24th of 3rd Moon, 7999
City of Kings Landing

The morning was a hot one, and even the waters of the Blackwater bay were still so there was no reprieve of a breeze. The men in the Kings retinue were obviously feeling its effects, especially the gold cloaks, though Aegon thought nothing of it, he was a Targaryen and had a remarkable threshold for resisting heat.

He had flown from The Iron Islands to the capitol in about three days, taking a leisurely pace through the riverlands, and resting by night on small sandy islands in the rivers. He had arrived late the previous night and his sisters had informed him of some of the events while he had been gone, though he would be filled in more thoroughly later that evening.

It was to be a busy first day back in the capitol, his sister Visenya had chosen 5 more members of the Kingsguard who would swear their loyalty on his return to the Aegonfort, following this would be the first meeting of the small council where he would be filled in on other appointments and decisions made by his sisters who had ruled in his stead during his absence. While Visenya prepared the appointments of the Kingsguard, she had suggested Aegon tour the city which had changed much since he had last seen it at the beginning of his conquest.

‘’It certainly has grown since last i've seen it.’’ Aegon said as he and his retinue rode down the mud streets.

‘’It has your grace….mostly refugees from the Kingswood.’’ replied Ser Brynden Tully, brother to Lord Paramount Edmyn of the Riverlands and the overall commander of the fledgling City Watch, which had come to be known as the gold cloaks due to their woolen cloaks dyed gold, which to no surprise to Aegon had been Rhaenys’s idea.

0-xF4_waa1rRHKIbw14UFtIvfEll4iXOFvcizsSNNa3HiBNHm6bwMLP8akMyyw3lrzO3pj7I20IxMK6dFTzobJqlprv12W9ERbk9NztDh5CRPolp2GcKdI8IuAf_N3a4Ez9B5gzu
_3gsPxcXlwvqTJ0obyBx1MkD-YxWYsBYe_EcyVseYNPhB6xzJJzZLCKbxcg55fRhkjbwNs8J0SnWEe-mpXMkePL1KQZC3MbcCd1cZO5yknXho2Xiaxc95fHKIEUS_WSvINzNd45H

Aegon had been informed as to the structure of the City Watch and he had to admit Visenya's idea was a good one. The gold cloaks would be permanently stationed at 6 ‘’gates’’ throughout the capitol, though in truth in their current state they were simple wooden barracks. These locations were the Dragon's Gate, the Kings Gate, the Lion Gate, and the Gate of the Gods, which were all overseen by Ser Brynden. Ser Rickard Tyrell, similar to Brynden in the sense that he was the younger brother to the Lord Paramount of the Reach, was given command of the Iron Gate and the River Gate barracks. Jacaerys Velaryon, brother of Corlys and Aethen, and cousin to the Targaryens had been given a command as well, since despite being less capable than his brothers was a knight, though he later abdicated the command to Ser Brynden and and instead served under Ser Brynden as one of his lieutenants.

_7JMY6vAkma-jxr0r1EwcjRKCpjnvLyi46sYTSAy5gQ2wfnxA6EHqHhlabTJtJKg0ioyiStdWfNbFYd36MMEE5axamOdcxTHAA6GDSUOIAbspMmqQu4Gk5FppmCrx9w-LUeKgob2
njrP2s7td6_m5mUmbzEl0RuM7SYKKZ-SeL7Lt4CTgkvtdMySTfc4iEJmucGrqemfgtOJJXGS-Oe8eeluhyFFTIVIofJrPm6WPnwa_gRPFmC3v97N2q38-iIhUWmkmc2xcj-0SEkz

These gates made a rough circle around the edge of the unwalled city, each stationed where roads from differing directions led out of Kings Landing. The responsibility of these barracks would be to search incoming traders and travelers, checking for smuggled goods and collecting tolls, resolving disputes and otherwise keeping the peace. There was one final aspect to the guard however.

These gates were stationed at the outskirts of the city and their garrisons would remain there. The keeping of the peace in the city proper would fall to Ser Jon Darklyn, brother to the Lord of Duskendale, a wealthy coastal port north of Kings Landing. He would take gold cloaks out on patrol through the various districts of the city, proactively searching for crime and responding to incidents.

Vf6Z63ooXBNcJsIiqEo_dkqzucQy05ip57-jlUftniRmapE-2uPyL6fhy2MF-OLtL2bG1WY7fuvpmVPs4pBc1nNiW8_AuvddQ0rpIVMLvxgPLYjZeVpJlMzYLcxwDso3cOj8z5dA

‘’The Kingswood?’’ Aegon asked, he knew little of that region of the stormlands except it was covered by woodland and home to countless small forest hamlets.

Orys Baratheon, Aegon's rumored half brother, right hand man and most trusted man nodded, he had decided to accompany Aegon on the tour.

‘’During the conquest Argilac left men there to ambush myself and Rhaenys, we held them off but her Dragon burned down much of the forest, it will grow back in time but many of the inhabitants have migrated here.’’ Orys explained.

‘’How many people live in the city?’’ Aegon asked Orys, who many in the capitol had begun to call ‘’The Kings Hand’’ since he had supervised the city since the conquest of the stormlands.

‘’I've been conducting censuses regularly….at last count it was somewhere around 8-10,000.’’ Orys responded.

This was by no means a large city by Westerosi standards but still was a tremendous amount of growth from practically zero inhabitants before the conquest, and this rapid growth had taken its toll on the fledgling city, whos infrastructure was not equipped to handle its growth and most people lived in houses of timber or ramshackle boards, collecting water from the bay and boiling it. The city had a stench to it as well as there was no sewage system.

7IDW3Ebt43sh2Qjlvyg7YbxDjroNfmTCUE81eTzoLJ0mD1QnlWd78zTWtTqdA5nl0vuS0LsGj818ZDhOioQR1Rt_AA_8VbCf3yOm_XDXq1jne_7SSVfuiINzPGaW6lCM1h6jcAMF

‘’There will need to be improvements made…and lots of them.’’ Aegon said curtly, a brief thought entering his mind that perhaps he should have taken Oldtown as his seat.

‘’The citadel sent a Maester some weeks ago, I think you'll like him, he has a mind for city building and rides around the city frequently, he has many ideas.’’ Orys nodded.

Aegon scoffed ‘’A capable maester….I'll believe it when I see it.’’ His disdain for most Maesters was well known, an opinion primarily born out of distrust for their self-claimed mastery of the world's many concepts.

The King turned to Ser Brynden Tully, whose face was almost as red as his hair due to wearing the heavy gold cloak, chainmail and a metal helm under the hot sun. ‘’How many districts do we have left Ser Brynden…we should return to the Aegonfort soon?’’

‘’Just River Row your grace….there should be a good breeze there.’’ The commander of the Gold Cloaks responded.

They had toured each of the gates and the other districts over the last few hours. They had started with the Street of Seeds, home to most of the bakeries and granaries in the city, that had been the most pleasant street as the smell of freshly baked bread was almost enough to overcome the stench from the rest of the city.

NBxCpfmiibJGUY2X3m_PeX6oafJZbxWB9TdR47Qw3LZQ7sAJ99j1k72UHsGWQe3ph-t8g1pZlDS8-BdiV_bKbs80jtefDiD8Jnfon0tV-v8GjqecieANJN1uPyA4sonO26L-44B-

At the end of the Street of Seeds, they had visited the small wooden sept of the town, though Aegon true to his nature had kept the visit brief. His sisters had invited one of Lord Manfred Hightower’s sons, Septon Leyton to oversee both the small septs in the city and the one in the Aegonfort. It was a far cry from assisting in the seven wealthy septs of Oldtown, but the young Septon had stated that the gods looked just as favorably on septs of timber as ones of marble and stated he was happy to do their will in the capitol for his remaining time on earth, which he feared would not be long despite effective treatment from the Maesters.

fSObAaxvR7auCWzYQGyCqIOEaUUSEn73z1S59UkhRJPdElrVuijbzmaoVxOwk1fQdB5asCBL3z1KzJ8y_5UUQeGaWXZBN53SedYcKqBFNulhrD-i9qDID1PhmKty8zESYyt4wSVa

Following that they toured the street of steel, a district that ran down a large hill from the street of seeds and was home to most of the city's shops. There were many forges in this district, with the ones at the top being home to weapon and armorsmiths though due to the recency of the cities founding they were not overly skilled. Going down were other forges making goods needed in a new city such as nails, horseshoes, and hammers. Despite its name there were other shops here such as tanneries and cloth shops.

_cO57l0fGBLCVYmS4boXqWVo2_PFfiBK5G5nu3JEz1B_fsMsN-qrtATmbo3Z_c4yk2g-jWj-4idPRfJTNya5e-O-KVrtSZYWCGUajdSylqZ2C1BsMIF9h3rjyb2tOFzW95v0D7WJ

They had just got done touring the district of Eel Alley, home to most of the housing in the city as well as taverns and inns, including many serving as brothels. This was the area where most of the trouble occurred, Brynden Tully had explained.

The retinue passed by the River Gate, which was under the command of Rickard Tyrell who nodded at them as they passed. The smell of the harbor hit them immediately, though Aegon was a man who was used to campaigning and it had little effect on him.

True to its word, the district of River Row ran along the bay in a straight line, with some makeshift docks being set up to house several fishing boats. As they rode along the river there were small stalls of fish being sold, increasing in frequency until a large square by the riverside came into sight, with well over two dozen market stalls, with their vendors yelling out the day's catch.

vW6oiqIJKl6G-rxno2FpyyCX_vGzIniY1x3OOvhCtma3Xy8uJJ8-wbP968RbBkvGFvkXbJxgo1Uhl8drAA8mwGg40Wl0-Rcznnqr5SX8pSNnUqWyPmj6WmOyJGFcFHbiB6V74QlY

‘’Fishmongers Square they call it.’’ Ser Jon Darklyn said.

Aegon nodded and looked further up the river, where several foreign looking men were constructing a stone structure along the riverside ‘’Braavosi?’’ he guessed by their clothing.

Orys nodded ‘’One of the families sent a representative when you were away asking permission to set up a trading outpost…the city may not be much now but they recognize it will grow and wanted to get ahead of the other republics….Visenya allowed them to set up here….they have promised good prices on dyes and cloth while they want timber from my lands.’’
kQrgY6tPum3ymU1F1Gn1OOzd8qiOnWE5z0wV83nN4pWv8dteZKgqx9wMlrjPqAbDzn0IBCV4C6ky-wkHPYjuoknjEjGZTnkPQv2P7mAlQrq0jCnUTDmbrnWGDOb7FBSsjl5FIyln

‘’It was good of Visenya to arrange this.’’ Aegon stated, he had no love of the Braavosi, mostly stemming from the fact his uncle Daemon, father to Aethen, Jacaerys, and Corlys was slain in a naval battle at Gulltown which had included mercenary Braavosi galleys, but he had to admit it would help with the prosperity and trade of Kings Landing.

‘’Good for trade perhaps’’ grumbled Ser Brynden ‘’Theyve all but taken over one of the harborside taverns, and a fortnight ago some fisherman had the nerve to stumble in there drunk and insult one them….my gold cloaks found the poor man face down in a pool of his own blood.’’

‘’Any more trouble?’’ Aegon asked with concern, he was glad to have the prospect of Braavosi trade in the capital, but not at the expense of lawlessness.

Ser Brynden shook his head ‘’They made their point clear…none bother them now…I would have had the murderer seized but theres at least 50 of them and Ive no way of knowing which one.’’

‘’We should be heading back.’’ Aegon said, earning a nod from Orys.

‘’Aye…Visenya will have your new guard assembled by now….best not to keep her waiting.’’ He said.

Ser Brynden Tully dismissed himself to return to his duties, but not before sending a dozen men to escort the King and his Hand back to the Aegonfort.

They made their way through the muddy streets, and up the Street of Steel until the wooden ramparts of the Aegonfort came into view.

sACg_CnF1wzPmhteKiJXeXpuQU6DgDfIyIErhDThR6kG1mj6-CC6A5KtRFj321hBdhXWUWPYBDc_byC-S0XNm7GS9m6tdw0CP0v2gWut2vgnuYOcPrRuWtaSl32eI0SXUYOsWRB-

It was rather unimpressive as seats went, especially considering it was the spot in which the King of Westeros ruled. The entire hill had been encased by timber palisades, though the gate was at least respectable, being made of heavy iron. The longhall, which held most of the courts lodging accommodations was the largest structure within the fort, while there was also a small kitchen keep and ramshackle sept, even less impressive then the one in the city proper. There was also a small stables as well as a barracks for the castle guard.

Aegon and Orys dismounted, handing their horses over to a groom.

‘’Water them well.’’ Aegon instructed and the boy nodded.

The door to the Longhall came swinging open and little Ryam Redwyne, the King's page, the heir to the Arbor and a boy of 6 ran towards them.

Orys grabbed the boys shoulders and stood him still ‘’Careful boy, your liable to crack your head open scampering around like that…and more importantly you could break something.’’

Aegon gave a smile at that, he had not been in the capitol so his young page was a little behind on learning what was expected of him.

‘’What is it, Ryam?’’ Aegon asked.

‘’The queen instructed me to tell you that she has gathered her appointments in the longhall for your consideration.’’ Ryam said carefully, careful not to make any mistakes in relaying the message.

Aegon nodded ‘’We shall be there shortly, go over to the stables and help that groom with our horses, he will show you how.’’

Little Ryam nodded and ran off.

Orys laughed ‘’The boy takes after his kinsman….he runs almost as fast as the Reach levies at the field of file from what i've heard.’’

Aegon chuckled at that and the two of them headed inside.

The hall was a smoky one, as similar to the Great Hall in Pyke there was a large hearth in the center of the room. At the far side of the hall was the Iron Throne, a huge, ugly and twisted mass of swords burned black from Balerions fire and hammered together by smiths from the Street of Steel. Despite its unattractive appearance, it made for a formidable sight amidst the smoky atmosphere of the longhall.

In the corner of the hall, gathered in the crowd were several formidable looking men, wearing doublets, jerkins, and gambesons, many with their house sigils emblazoned on them. Rhaenys was standing among them, laughing at a joke while Visenya stood near the throne, when all noticed the King's arrival they fell silent, with the Knights gathered bowing their heads in respect.

Aegon made his way towards Visenya.

‘’Brother…i'm glad your expedition throughout the city is over…I was beginning to think you had fallen in the bay.’’ Visenya said curtly.

Aegon nodded ‘’Tempting…but I am here now.’’

He made his way to the Iron Throne and slowly sat upon it, careful to avoid the jagged blades. This would be the first time he officially held court from the throne and he had to admit the smiths had done their job well, perhaps a little too well.

He had commissioned the throne with the tenant that a King should never rest easy in mind and in that regard it was everything he could have hoped for, it would serve as a reminder that a King must never grow lax or complacent, even on his own throne.

He turned to the gathered knights, five in total and gestured them forward.

‘’My sister tells me that out of the dozens of knights in attendance, you alone remain in consideration for the Kingsguard….for this I congratulate you….I shall now hear your name, house, and your oaths…if you would reject this honor now is the time…..this appointment shall only be ended with your deaths.’’ Aegon said, his face scanning the knights, most of them young and fit looking. None made any move to leave.

Aegon nodded ‘’Let us begin then.’’

A young knight with long stringy brown hair and dark eyebrows stepped forward, a proud look upon his face‘’I am Ser Harold Langward your grace….and it is my honor to represent the Stormlands in your guard…you shall find me worthy of this honor I am sure….and if this duty ends in my death…I hope it shall end with the corpses of your enemies strewn around me.’’
gkkSHB10Ocnb-cym0kb2Lmwk3rBBWzZ-KYtgcglB79qMEGqEHlqV6giJycjDN3Vqm9HdMzAs9kzv1IKFMbiYj6yQ8gxy9O3JFgnPGnkSqhBB5g9wABx_HUF1Ht753fjMUN7RYPgB

‘’Well said.’’ Orys said with a nod of approval.

‘’I welcome you into the Kingsguard then Ser Harold Langward…..Ser Corlys Velaryon, your Lord Commander shall instruct you on what is expected of you upon his return.’’ Aegon said, earning a nod from the young Stormlander.

The next Knight to step forward,a young black haired man with the beginnings of a mustache was a face Aegon recognized as Garmon Hightower, Lord Manfreds youngest son and brother to the newly appointed Septon Leyton.

RtcnSf4qZviTCXSa3yX0yrrqVQkPezkBHg5MWlb6ht1FyqdN2wPyGTDMcknZQZdvT3IL3j8AF2c7tdAiftQalsa7saDfftn9h2gc3fKbaVJdQJg1DxYs0esuuufTgIagIZHbDexi

‘’I need no introduction from you Ser Garmon….I accept you into my service.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I shall be at your side in battle and in peace your grace.’’ He had said with a bow.

‘’Ser Gawen Corbray your grace…I shall represent the Vale.’’ A blonde haired man had said stepping forward, he had a rather ridiculous looking mustache though it was obviously well groomed.

SoTWBUZXgM9AFDrsCfUghLKCEqSwzBQmbsj7KrylE4OHgHPshoVdu9zpF7WmaeqvoU3w3NaZWOdYG9lTjJsEDzsr2WzlV5e3k91QlfIQWveOoMbSOTQp7pp2CHvWTLNWXIwiwlfD

Aegon nodded, and caught a glimpse of the man's sword, which had a heart shaped ruby in the pommel. ‘’Your sword Ser Gawen.’’

The Valeman nodded and in what was clearly a well practiced motion drew it from its scabbard, holding it in front of him with a gloved hand, the blades quality visible even in the smoke of the hall.

‘’Valyrian Steel….a fine blade.’’ Aegon said, impressed, it would be good to have such a weapon amongst his guard.

Ser Gawen nodded ‘’She is called Lady Forlorn…as many a woman has been brought to such a state due to this blade meeting their husbands….many at my hand.’’

The next introduction had been rather uneventful. The knight was of significantly lower stock than the others, coming from a family of unlanded hedge knights, and was not much of a talker, but Visenya had been so impressed by the man, both in his easily apparent strength and his calm temperament she had chosen the knight, who was called Ser Gregor Goode, to represent the riverlands.

DPAzaDNYZohLnzLLe50i3MidcvdvRyr6ar_1NXFYNGbSqj08J3ArNOioneHfxklOdOUR5t1U5mfurBw9uS0Onp2W8LYYWuhkxv-oqBov2PjTr5n-OxnBLbDKMnfXcJBKpU1SqyrF

The last Knight had been one of Visenyas riskiest appointments. He was older then the others, though still quite young and had short cropped golden hair, green eyes, and a shaggy beard and had a somewhat portly yet stout appearance.

tbkMXF9T5-DSDvQz5o-cimU0X2RKmSwdzlOdtYRAbswUcv7p6L818Ml4gDYRvYupzjusGmSMYSz4NrzKuwN7VYPcdTbSrEg-YygfAKQKJQbQghlSWp8_RvZuj3LbMnaYpwWATQ_l

‘’Ser Stafford Lannister, your grace.’’ The man had said, bowing his head.

Aegon shared a look with Visenya, out of all the Kingdoms, with perhaps the exception of the Iron Islands, the Westerlands were the one that harbored the most resentment for their annexation, and taking a Lannister into his service could be risky. Visenya nodded head, confirming her choice.

‘’A Lannister…surely a Knight of your standing has better prospects at the Rock?’’ Aegon asked with curiosity.

Ser Stafford shook his head ‘’I am a Lannister of Lannisport your grace….a lesser branch than Lord Paramount Lorens….in truth we have little relation.’’ The port city of Lannisport outside of Casterly Rock was the second largest city in Westeros only behind Oldtown.

Aegon nodded ‘’Then I welcome you to the Kingsguard, Stafford of Lannisport.’’

There was one final spot on the Kingsguard remaining, though Visenya was still searching for a worthy warrior among the Ironborn, Northerners, and Clawmen.

Following the introductions, all the knights had knelt upton the timber floor and pledged their swords and their lives to the King and his family…pledging to be at his side in peace and in war, and swearing they would father no children for the safety of the Targaryens was now their main priority.

Following this, Rhaenys had organized a feast for the new Kingsguard, where Aegon was better acquainted with the men who would serve him and his family for the rest of their lives, and he had to admit, his sister Visenya had chosen men both strong in sword skill and their loyalty.

One Month Later
Longhall of the Aegonfort

‘’Rise Lord Brune…..as protector of Crackclaw Point.’’ Aegon said from the throne, causing the old Clawman to rise.

‘’Thank you your grace…House Brune shall keep the peace in the point…both in my lifetime and in my descendents.’’ The silver haired Clawman responded.

P-xEhZmcUGcVkQ-PSi-hdQzEccD8HyyhX-33Ck0nFg8fHoikWx6a8uYNFswKKgVQnDoGaNr_l2GIIDvmiWFKwr7LWPisgylqwYEKIt2Yyjau1SJoTOU6YQprlJfBYGRzHjD8e-14

Aegon was a few hours into consolidating his main powerbase in the Crownlands. He had a great many minor lords sworn directly to him, and it would be much simpler to delegate these minor vassals to one High Lord, who would oversee the region, with only them reporting straight to the King.

Over the past few days he had granted the overlordship of the lands directly south of King's Landing to Maric Gaunt, Lord of Dalston Keep and a lord with an honorable reputation. Similarly, the High Lordship of Blackwater Rush would granted to Lord Gendry Creasy, and yesterday Lord Alyn Chyttering had arrived to give his oath to become protector of the burned Kingswood, though like many of his people he would remain in the capitol to become the first ‘’master of whisperers.’’

Wfp2A45r0GXnFg8hkrvqX2edDLgGItk934JN7GmZS4jiInX-ZXdKwOccYvbBdsnH6_IXVgXNX8oWvC60A7jf6_likA-TdP_t9lCxcfhmue8BEeTezl7I7hJMwJ7cPqqSMfgMk5aT
Ouqy4H3gENm5zIGVUtBChPGaQWPo9NmQcovnqBUpCdN1j1XEnZrn5z4_O80sqc0fSTGqpVBEozj5jO24fXdL97m9yeJMMPpVzrIQmobKw4EwuocaibQcBjai1XZP1VmpaUukzVKC

2R5y5GRSvmLDFg4zYSXtXMn8ZYOc0AUww-dxojPCyqm8TX6hm1NFxNVLR9_TiY2CN9aCpTVyGNy8RIzHAcQ5mT7Fg_pZGWnjcESFdDwYXPt1gFYXpTjFDSEpcTdwTEMCe0jZlE7K

Lord Alyn Brune had been the last of these appointments, and had been his sister Visenya's suggestion, with her claiming he was the oldest of the Clawlords and his house was well respected within Cracklaw Point, King Aegon was more than willing to defer to his sisters knowledge of the Clawmen and had agreed to the appointment.

Aegon turned to Theo Tyrell, his squire who had since returned with Lord Commander Corlys Velaryon from the Iron Islands.

‘’Go and help Lord Brune and his retinue prepare their horses Theo, take Ryam with you, show him how it is done.’’ Aegon commanded and his squire nodded and together he and Ryam left the hall.

Lord Brune chuckled ‘’Normally I see to my own horse, but it is not every day an old clawman is serviced by the heir to the Reach.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’He is a dutiful boy….I wish you a fine journey back to Dyre Den my lord.’’ Aegon said, referring to the castle of house Brune.

‘’Thank you your grace, there is much work to be done.’’ Lord Brune said with a bow before leaving the hall.

Aegon did not gain much of a respite from the appointment as immediately after Lord Brune had left the hall, his spymaster and the new Lord of the Kingswood, Lord Alyn Chyttering entered.

‘’Your grace….pardon the interruption, but a warship has been sighted in the bay….I believe it to be a Manderly ship…the uprising in the Three Sisters must be over if they have returned.’’ Lord Chyttering said.

‘’You are sure of this…you received a raven?’’ Aegon asked, leaning forward, if this was true it was good news as the Sisters were the last region of his Kingdoms in open revolt.

‘’I would be a piss poor spymaster if I was not your grace….though in truth I received no raven…the ship had the merman of House Manderly upon its sails.’’ The King's Spymaster responded with a small smile.

Aegon nodded and turned to one of the servants in the hall ‘’Run a message down to Ser Brynden Tully, tell him to send an escort of gold cloaks to the harbor and escort whoever has commanded the expedition to the keep. ‘’

The servant nodded and left to relay the message to the Captain of the City Watch.

Less than an hour later, Aegon heard the approach of the escort entering the Aegonfort. Most of his court had gathered in the longhall, both of his sisters, Orys, his Kingsguard, and squires were all in attendance to hear the news from the Sisters.

As the doors of the longhall swang open, the first man that caught Aegons eye was a young man with short blonde hair and the beginnings of a beard. He was dressed in a leather Jerkin, with a layer of chainmail over it, which in turn was covered by a surcoat, with the merman of house Manderly upon it. Behind him were several other Manderly knights, one of whom was holding a rope, which bound the hands of a woman, with short brown hair and the eyes to match it, looking tired and disheveled.

The young man approached the throne and knelt, ‘’The Sisters are yours your grace.’’ He said, still knelt upon the timber floor of the keep..

Aegon gestured the lad up ‘’I am glad to hear it…though I would prefer to hear the name of the man I have to thank before any further details.’’

The Knight nodded ‘’I am Ser Warrick Manderly..the youngest son of Lord Willem of White Harbor.’’

2ZUx6HlhJvbkodSYJ52TjFu1tv9X27rllAOnm3nsTZPdbj4zI2UnENv9oPTjdqnWvViWAtTlqZuwAwUQpUi3Wc9kj3nbUfqp_Y5nfuOQ5EKeyuN96eA0GNs1q105SH-cazv9i6PO

‘’I thank you for this victory Ser Warrick…..you have brought peace to the realm.’’ Aegon said to the young knight.

‘’I would have hoped to bring peace sooner your grace, I tried to storm Sunderland Hall by force shortly after landing but was repulsed and was forced to settle for a siege which took some weeks….the taking of the village was much quicker if it please your grace…my men overwhelmed the garrison quickly.’’ Ser Warrick explained, earning a scowl from the bound woman.

Aegon grimaced slightly at that, he had hoped that the pacification in the Sisters would be bloodless, though he reluctantly admitted to himself that he had only himself to blame for the failed assault on the castle and the eventual melee in the village as he did not explicitly state that his wishes when he ordered Torrhen Stark, his Warden of the North to deal with the uprising.

‘’Well it is over now, that is what matters.’’ Aegon said.

Visenya stepped forward suddenly ‘’Ser Warrick, forgive the question if you will but are you married?’’

Ser Warrick with a slight look of confusion, shook his head ‘’No my queen.’’

Visenya gave a small smile at that and gave a knowing look to Aegon who nodded.

‘’Ser Warrick….what my sister means is there is a vacancy among my Kingsguard….these men in white armor that stand beside me each represent a region of the 7 Kingdoms….the vacancy in question could be filled by a man of the north.’’ Aegon explained.

The young knight ran a hand through his beard ‘’I see.’’

‘’If you were to fill this vacancy…of which you are well deserving after your bravery in the Sisters…you would give up the opportunity of taking a wife….your life would be spent in the service of the King.’’ Visenya said.

Ser Warrick was silent for a moment before at last answering ‘’I shall take my sword as a wife then my queen, I am a warrior before all else and there is no greater honor than to serve the King in battle.’’

c4hBEA03ooRv4NHmIbnMjwS8exDuV9xufJAoI7YN25HBJTuqrc8Dv1yVY01gQ5hCtkTMoCbEb36N3fT30OAzANkp955O5oE0Q7LFHqbpezH1Q7RIHaCGCz2gdwqVmVHCP_Bg5iaf

‘’Excellent, I am glad to have you, Ser Corlys Velayron shall explain what is expected of you and then I shall take your oath should you still wish to give it..’’ Aegon said, he was pleased at this appointment, the final spot on his Kingsguard had been proving difficult to fill, and Ser Warrick was seemingly the perfect candidate, brave and battle tested despite his young age.

‘’A final thing your grace…we have their ruler….Queen Marla Sunderland she has styled herself, she wounded one of my men after her garrison surrendered and bit another…I lost many good men due to her uprising.’’ Ser Warrick explained.

Aegon nodded ‘’I shall deal with her.’’

He turned to the rest of the court ‘’All of you leave us if you will….I will speak with the Lady Sunderland.’’

The court gradually left the longhall, except for Ser Garmon Hightower of the Kingsguard, who was the Kings assigned guard for the hour.

When the hall was empty he turned to Ser Garmon ‘’Cut her loose.’’ Aegon commanded.

‘’Are you sure your grace?’’ Ser Garmon asked, he was a brave man but took his duty to protect the King the most seriously of all the Kingsguard, sometimes to the point of paranoia.

Aegon nodded ‘’If she means to bite me than I take solace in the fact you are here.’’

Ser Garmon nodded and cut her loose, but not before doing a respectful patdown for any hidden weapons to which Aegon couldn't help but roll his eyes at.

GZguZ5je_CAepqe13nnWEAahM4IJXyKnSnLVxvky8ajlSQERTT2jgzRIsqlqf_xpoKnlAdyr98RvzGonIsyjyCbzjKHe-SKXfq_y6XbwOUQ23bsDxT0k5_GAk41TPj1KawYqxXZI

‘’Well if you mean to kill me, best get it done with.’’ Marla Sunderland said, her voice powerful and proud, and utterly without fear.

Aegon nodded ‘’Would you prefer the blade or dragonfire.’’ Earning a rather shocked look from Ser Garmon.

Aegon then leaned back a bit, gauging the Lady of the Sisters for a reaction.

Even with the mention of Dragonfire, Marla Sunderland did not seem perturbed, merely shrugging her shoulders ‘’I dont suppose it makes much difference in the end.’’ She said,

Aegon was silent for a moment before nodding ‘’It doesnt does it?.’’

A silence fell over the hall before Aegon sighed, and came to his feet.

‘’I dont mean to kill you Marla Sunderland…at least not today…and I certainly do not intend to feed you to my Dragon….as a general rule I dont feed those I respect to Balerion.’’ Aegon said.

‘’Your Grace?’’ Marla Sunderland said with confusion.

‘’Aye….I respect you…I see why your people named you their Queen…and I understand why you rebelled.’’ Aegon said, to the rather shocked ruler of the Three Sisters.

‘’And why is that?’’ Marla asked.

‘’Because for centuries you and your lands have been pulled between the North and the Vale like a piece of meat between two hounds, each year being shredded closer to the bone….your lands burning…your women raped…aye I understand’’ Aegon said cooly.

‘’I am glad to hear it.’’ The former Queen of the Sisters responded.

‘’I also understand you did not rebel against me…you used the distraction of my invasion to break away from the Vale, a smart move….and it is that fact that lends itself to my decision not to execute you for treason.’’ Aegon said.

Marlas face furrowed ‘’You mean to give us to the Vale then…make them our overlords?’’

Aegon was silent.

‘’A choice then…is that it…my life for my word that I will serve either the Vale or the North’’ Marla said, her voice rising in intensity.

Aegon raised his hand ‘’No Lady Sunderland….’’it’’ is a promise….a promise that your people and your islands will not be the battleground for two great powers ever again….no..you will not serve the lords of the North or the lords of the Vale….you shall swear directly to the Iron Throne…I will not give you independence, but this is as close as you will get.’’ Aegon explained.

Marla Sunderland was speechless before quickly regaining her composure ‘’I accept your Grace.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’One last thing…..Ser Warrick Manderly spoke true, he did lose many men upon the walls of Sunderland Hall, and the Manderlys will be expecting some sort of punishment.’’

Marla scoffed ‘’Men lost due to his decision to storm the walls, he didn't have a chance with the amount of men he had…those deaths were on him. And I would take the opportunity to tell you they more than avenged themselves upon the garrison of Crably, the neighboring village…they would have surrendered in time, but your Merman Knight was determined to win glory and ordered it stormed without even negotiating….many good men died defending their homes that day.’’

‘’It is true Ser Warrick was hotheaded in his pursuit of glory…but he acted upon my orders…and there must be some sort of punishment my lady.’’ Aegon said slowly but with understanding.

Marla Sunderland was silent at that.

‘’I hear you have a younger brother.’’ The King said.

Marla nodded cautiously ‘’I do your Grace.’’

‘’Have him come to King Landing…the sept could use a man of noble birth and an anointed knight to defend the priests as they do their charity.’’ Aegon said.

xrUpGgLdfdBDzVLip8QJilzOhxB2ZQ_S7ajDP3UgSKC0NiEUqo3EtucxKyg1wn-ok-vFsJBgTuZvnC5w787Ijk6rh500y5dxSfKWREhXoVLnbnJHKMb_pbFVaO_qPpKQayu8dePv

‘’You would find him of little use, I'm afraid.’’ Marla said dismissively, though it was clear she knew the purpose of the ‘’invitation.’’

‘’Have him sent all the same.’’ Aegon responded.

‘’You would have him be a hostage!’’ Marla said, her voice rising slightly.

‘’An honored guest.’’ Aegon replied coolly.

Marla Sunderland was quiet for a moment before she nodded silently.

‘’Then you are free to leave in peace my lady…I shall have a ship arranged to take you back to the Sisters.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I thank you for it your grace.’’ Marla replied, though somewhat tersely.

With Marla Sunderlands capitulation, all the rebellions in the realm had been put down, and for the first time in its history…Westeros was at peace, albeit an uneasy one.

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Always nice to get a sword-bearing Corbray to the Kingsguard.

Now I see where my Sunderlands seem to get their inclination for trouble! Although I like this brave Lady Sunderland much more than my Black Lord. I need to steal his heir's heir (if he ever gets one) and raise him well to be more like his ancestress.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Iron Islands are pacified for the moment. I doubt that'll last.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Always nice to get a sword-bearing Corbray to the Kingsguard.

Now I see where my Sunderlands seem to get their inclination for trouble! Although I like this brave Lady Sunderland much more than my Black Lord. I need to steal his heir's heir (if he ever gets one) and raise him well to be more like his ancestress.
I enjoy writing about the lesser known regions of the map like the Sisters, and I agree with your assesment, Lady Marla is formidable in her own way but pales in comparison to your ''Black Lord.'' And the troubles around that general region will continue into the next chapter, though not in the Sisters themselves, it will be close by.

The Iron Islands are pacified for the moment. I doubt that'll last.
One would think they would be the first to cause trouble, but the first real betrayal of the Targaryens will come from a more ''civilized'' source.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 4 The Mermans Flight (Aegon/Ser Warrick Manderly)
15th of 8th Moon 7999
Courtyard of the Aegonfort

It was a hot day though there was a cool breeze in the air, and the courtyard of the Aegonfort was ringing with the sounds of steel on steel. The knights of the Kingsguard were training with Corlys Velaryon, observing, despite his young age he was the best swordsman of Aegons guard and more than qualified to observe such a task, though Ser Gawen Corbray had the ability to match him on his better days.

The children of the Aegonfort were also working on their swordcraft, under the watchful eye of Lord Jon Rosby, whom Aegon had made his Master-at-Arms, though more for his competency in leading men than his sword-skill, of which he was only average.

rqBCVIyqIXHvrnjV1YyHPvsHiuRY4t06b2NM7kqiSxKAvbtnjDNntG0PRnAVz4MXNpJebxh7fUKBf25-kz51A_mjRKltBwdtVM2ZU6w4t2yat10lOg8BDcXxYgFk5CQjiLA_1M1b

‘’Advance Theo, shield up, sword at the ready!.’’ Lord Rosby commanded, and Theo Tyrell, Aegon's squire nodded, holding up his light wooden shield and advancing on his opponent. Ormond Bowling, who was Orys Baratheons squire, and while a year younger than Theo was big for his age.

Yj0UNuCOcgAdg8qW1d1PiVBQW_GqZm6rMk2UyNMTE1CcMY9wlMpHeKKuooA0ATi88nFFnLNu8g-C-KLylhK8eH15wZ4S5_JOQbNrAT0Pe3qbhe52NyFYJuNRzN89csEv_godY3BE

‘’Shield up Ormund.’’ Orys called with encouragement as the two boys came together in a clash of shield on shield. Ormunds superior strength won out in the pushing of shields, forcing Theo to go on the retreat and attempt to block Ormunds powerful blows with his sword. To his credit, the heir to Highgarden managed to block a few of the large boys downward strikes but eventually his grip weakened and the practice sword clattered to the ground out of his hand. Ormund had the chance to deliver a nasty blow with the practice sword, but held back to which Lord Rosby nodded his approval.

‘’Good Ormund….a true knight does not continue the fight after his opponent has been disarmed.’’ Lord Rosby said before granting the two a quick break, going to check on Ryam Redwyne, Aegon's page who was still learning the basics of how to wield a blade, using a wooden blade and running through various solo drills focused on footwork and hand placement, he would not train against other boys until he was officially made a squire which would not be for at least another year.

Aegon, who had been observing the melee off to the side, gestured his squire over.

‘’I should have beat him.’’ Theo said dejectedly, the lad was a proud one and did not like to lose, especially in front of the King to a younger boy.

Aegon shook his head slightly ‘’But you didn't….because you insist on fighting him as if you are of the same size and strength…in order to beat your opponent you have to know him first…and acknowledge the facts…which are he is bigger and stronger than you.’’

Theo grew somewhat red faced at that.

‘’But he is not better than you….you are both of the same speed and have similar reflexes, you lost because you attempted to block his strikes head on, steel on steel, he hits hard and you won't be able to sustain it for long.’’ The King continued

‘’But how else will I block them? My shield arm is tired at that point and he never gets tired.’’ Theo protested.

Aegon nodded to the other side of the courtyard, where the Kingsguard were sparring.

‘’You see my cousin, the Lord commander?’’ Aegon said, pointing to Corlys who was fighting both Stafford Lannister and Warrick Manderly at the same time, and quite successfully.

Theo nodded.

‘’Watch what he does…when he blocks a strike he doesn't put his sword out in front of the other with the simple goal of stopping it with brute strength…he guides it away from him….he uses his feet well to leverage his balance, if you block like that you won't feel that ringing down your arm each time you stop a strike.’’ Aegon explained.

Theo watched, clearly impressed.

‘’Your sword is an extension of your arm Theo, it's not a tool to hold between you and another sword…think of it as an arm….pushing and guiding away your opponent's blade.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I think I understand.’’ Theo said slowly, still watching Corlys.

‘’Show me.’’ Aegon said with a nod back to Lord Rosby, who was calling the squires back.

True to his word, Theo Tyrell did understand the lesson, he was much more efficient in his blocks, guiding away Ormunds strikes until eventually he had the chance to launch an attack of his own, which caught the bigger boy by surprise and eventually forced him to yield, blade at his throat.

Theo returned, a grin on his face ‘’The warrior was with me…every time he launched an attack I remembered what you said and he gave me strength.’’

Aegon shook his head ‘’It was your arm that gave you the victory Theo…not any gods….never rely on any outside intervention in the heat of battle….the outcome rests entirely on you and your actions.’’

69vsMbB8nAtvw13Kfw3lbx61rLgJ6B_GFVeGtVwxFWY35fA_86cChLyHfdSjyHod1M89paeriTNxfc3h2uYvK106fv5o6MovnrO6LMDEY-53mgDUIp0tpLXFGHXU0f24rwSz0ISO
0mPqh0F_vC7XkAw5_58r1mxIp-Zbq4lpQZu05eqs5jZtUgH78LWxnqFV8p-co2nZKDsJ0LK5jHcPUWRuEcw6L8pj0PJnHT3Sitct35UHPZEugG6-rCaTgLv7jDLmAaYy-L-bierp

Before Theo could respond, Rhaenys came out to greet them.

‘’I saw your victory Theo…it was well fought.’’ Rhaenys said with a smile, causing the boy to blush.

‘’Fought well enough for today, tomorrow he must do it again.’’ Aegon said with a small smile.

Rhaenys nodded ‘’Visenya has assembled the Small Council brother….she was beginning to think you had forgotten.’’

Aegon cleared his throat, in truth he had lost track of time but he was not going to admit that.

He turned to Theo ‘’See to your arms and armor, and then come to the meeting with Ryam, it's a hot day we could use some wine.’’

Theo nodded and immediately set to his task.

Rhaenys smiled as they walked to the keep ‘’You work the poor boy too much.’’

Aegon shook his head ‘’That ‘’boy’’ will one day inherit the most powerful region in Westeros, if he is to lead he must learn to follow.’’

‘’And when did you learn to follow?’’ Rhaenys asked with a laugh.

Aegon was silent, he had to admit she had him there he was a man that had always been at the forefront.

The two made their way into the Longhall, turning from the throne room into a separate large chamber where the rest of the small council was seated.

eNJZ9YHyp6D0fGj8JUZ3RLb6YNTAEaQX3ZcCD4si_8qOdoeJg1G8Y3HftmQvn2CvQL_sW5N1yvn6f79eNjYEZTxZRYwKNRvyYVGB041aDZbG3uctLQkQ5YmS_8Mz8kWq40L5wiQI

The small council's attendance was ever changing, with some members occasionally being absent due to their work, though today the council was in full attendance. Orys served as Hand of the King, which had become the official term for the position due to its popularity, with Aegon giving him a silver and ruby pin in the shape of a hand that signified his position. Edmyn Tully was present as well as the Master-of-Laws, a rarity since his current assignment saw him traveling frequently to meet with lords on the King's behalf. Jon Rosby was the master-at-arms and responsible for drilling both the garrisons of the Aegonfort and occasionally Dragonstone.

Harlan Tyrell, Lord Paramount of the Reach and Theo Tyrells father was the Master of Coin, and was very competent due to his experience of being the steward of Highgarden for well over a decade prior to his appointment.

Lord Alyn of the Kingswood was Aegon's spymaster, and though Aegon was not a man of intrigue, he respected the man due to his hard work, in less than a year successfully setting up networks in most of the major regions of Aegon's Kingdom, as well as in several of the free cities.

Corlys Velaryon, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard also had a seat though not a literal one as he beside his cousin's chair as a guard, as did his older brother Aethen, who was Master of Ships. Ser Brynden Tully ,Edmyns brother and Commander of the Gold cloaks was present as well, while not an official member of the council, he often attended to give reports of events in the city. Visenya and Rhaenys also had seats.

The final member of the small council was the Valeman, Grandmaester Arlan, the first to hold his position. When the citadel had declared their intention to send him a Maester to advise him, Aegon had been expecting some prattling old fool, but Arlan had proven himself to be neither old nor foolish, being quite competent. The man spoke several languages and had a mind for architecture, often touring the city and looking for suggestions to give Harlan Tyrell on how best to improve the city.

otVHdarkO3j70nGyFGoKBwBNzeXTSeQ55VDlgSgB04MFOsAEFXhBBuP53l2kuxEJOHSfddM4lOqTnOrYXnUJNdCvdjC61vUDo1YzCNKHHRiqil6KD9v6juZRq38Qb_F_4Kkh-gHM
UX3dtjMjoVO4XbHZTv8FCjGWRfj1cfolIroSLrJpwCS3dVGbYQpuyE9UPWkzqnHS-ZcOw091OYMisVVcWMNXSiUvAo8P4vCIQRFjZclf3RlN0XZ_tQNXEjKzGgBjWGmrqYiL7gYm

This council of 12 individuals all shared in the rule of Aegon's Kingdoms, and the King had been pleased with their effectiveness through the first eight months of his rule.

As usual, Alyn started off the meeting by giving information he had received about the affairs of the wider world, particularly the free cities and Dorne.

‘’Braavos has declared war on Pentos to free the slaves there, and Lorath has declared its intention to join in the war, though they have not been present in the early fighting.’’ Alyn started.

Harlan Tyrell nodded ‘’Braavos will prevail…they have the Iron Bank…I wouldnt anticipate any loss of trade from Braavos your grace….this war will no doubt be fought on Pentoshi soil….if anything it will increase…they will want timber to build new warships.’’

‘’The Braavosi fight for a noble cause….the gods abhorr slavery.’’ Grandmaster Arlan mused.

‘’Im sure they wont complain about the tribute of gold and silver they will be given at war's end either.’’ Aegon said dryly.

‘’In slightly less noble wars…the Lysene have just finished a slave raid on Last Lament in the Summer Islands…and they have now turned their sights to Volantis for another raid, which has just overthrown their first female Triarch….a tough first test for their new Triarch.’’ Alyn continued.

Aegon shook his head ‘’The Free Cities never cease to devour one another….let us hear news closer to home.’’

Alyn nodded ‘’Meria Martell of Dornes only child and heir Nymor was slain in a court duel….her new heir is her granddaughter Deria, a girl of 18.’’

J8sS8QBJ7_pNYqCiH3xOTKQiV5iEb7uPYYtz0d-8naHOfHwNTqCUZ48oaqgkl4HkmcyCdw_w_nc7f3tLmO-NYu4JzPm12TpU0jwJxx3PtmiNFmYhVATRfDt6egB87iNK_JVsgimC
QxkKhYtEc8-WW-OhdowrkLfdr1NK7M3Okc63K_dc0zGi5lTc6t4ASL5ZfjgvQq078TaMUEQdUvoiUDqTcFxsN9zsXitgTxxP2s_DznOIltc2QLnN7OYKDc-RdljGxShoTyV-L7PD

‘’Your Grace…if I may, with the turmoil of her heirs death perhaps Meria Martell might be persuaded to surrender her independence without bloodshed…as to not leave her granddaughter alone to face our armies.’’ Lord Jon Rosby stated. Aegon's current plan for the annexation of Dorne was to wait for the 80 year old queen of Dorne to pass, and strike during the succession, Nymors death was significant as he was a competent man that had experience with leadership, but young Deria was less so.

Rhaeneys shook her head ‘’That old bat will never surrender.’’

Aegon nodded ‘’We stick to the current plan, we consolidate our strength until Merias death…then we invade.’’

‘’Your grace knows best.’’ Lord Rosby said, bowing his head.

‘’Another matter…one in the Kingdoms…Lord Brandon Stark, heir to Winterfell has wed Sharra Arryn, the young Ronnels mother, should the marriage bear children the child shall have claims to both the North and the Vale…making them one of the strongest claimants in the damn Kingdoms….too powerful if you ask me.’’Lord Alyn said.

rdD8AmF9pYeOFkc2jSyUbfLMpRDDbFzpbIN4FAV0xeyqElMHJ64TpxS5hU7gWZtOmIZOldsIu_nP6v5gy0C6OJ0lWGRN_c2VVERxtWL46qevyfA5pzpH-TrgHgCQfSOidpZcMFqU

‘’It is likely any potential child would inherit Winterfell in time but Lady Arryn has two sons in line for the Vale, I think it unlikely that we would have to worry about such a powerful vassal holding two of the Kingdoms….Lady Arryn is not exactly young and if a child were to be born, any problems would not present themselves for decades…It is a problem for another time Lord Alyn.’’ Aegon said he was not concerned.

The Spymaster nodded.

‘’One final matter…Vickon Greyjoy has taken many ships to raid and reave in the shivering sea, near Lorath and Ibben.’’ Alyn said.

‘’Keep me apprised….If you have word that any ship traveling to my Kingdom is attacked then I shall be forced to deal with it.’’ Aegon said.

1YubzFDncikR6UuXcNuCNlRgavxJ4MV_L6hg5P2cmuNPqxumO7AGDKvravzO8xrFpc_H_4YjiTCaeXFKNlm6ipB0H2xx1q9SOyfQ4-VUvWGV4bYFCyLePRuR9bdtg2L4YzSu9v3v

The King then turned to Harlan Tyrell ‘’How are preparations for the expansion of the keep coming?’’ Aegon had plans to vastly improve the Aegonfort into a true keep worthy of a King, though this would be expensive and perhaps take decades.

‘’It shall take time to gather sufficient coin your grace….I feel that within 3 years we can begin construction.’’ The Master of Coin responded.

The meeting went on for another hour, with Brynden Tully explaining the current affairs in the city, while Grandmaester Arlan detailed his latest tour of King's Landing and suggestions on how to improve the city's infrastructure. Ryam and Theo made rounds of the table, refilling cups.

After the meeting, the Small Council began to leave the chamber to return to their duties, Aegon was about to leave as well when Visenya stopped him, a gentle hand on his shoulder.

‘’Brother…I would speak with you.’’ She said, waiting for all to leave, with the exception of Corlys Velaryon.

Aegon raised his eyebrows.

‘’I shall be leaving the capitol for some time.’’ Visenya said nonchalantly.

‘’Leaving…but we've only just gained peace…and where.’’ Aegon said with surprise.

‘’To Essos….I wish to tour the Free cities…or at least some of them...you and I toured some cities in Westeros as children…and we spoke of visiting the Free cities together later….though we never did.’’ Visenya replied.

TqSAjHHZVOUlt-H6PglsZ9ZO6SaWc7XeXwaq412pLXf3xvZrXe9aSxGye4NWYw7nSgcTzZ-VZbjLU0uOWJlniYzmfn9sEi-Ssb82_TwsGNEeccYuT5udJxUNJY8aB7EP-Y2OTu9G

‘’I have only just consolidated my rule, and you would leave….no Visenya, this tour can wait, there are those that still defy my rule behind closed doors, the absence of one of our Dragons would only embolden them.’’ Aegon said firmly.

‘’Brother….you misunderstand me, I am not requesting this, this journey is one I will undertake.’’ Visenya said sternly.

‘’I am your King…and I say the tour can wait for Visenya.’’ Aegon said, he could not understand why his sister was so adamant about this.

‘’Aegon….it cannot wait…future commitments make it certain that I shall not have the chance to leave the capitol for any length of time for the foreseeable future, perhaps never.’’ Visenya said curtly.

‘’Commitments?’’ Aegon said with bewilderment.

Visenya gave a small nod, and suddenly took the King's hand, placing it upon her belly.

‘’You..You are with child?’’ Aegon asked with shock.

Visenya could no longer keep up her stern front and a smile came onto her face.

‘’Yes Aegon…Grandmaester Arlan has confirmed it…..a little dragon grows within my belly….our little dragon.’’ Visenya said, the King's hand in hers.
-tLNCjuMBiPThwayl3M07F-HUvHAkn0irDwx-qniwiMJivk-IcNV4ajB8PwkXiIpFHfE4haTThRDKPij3FrM9fZUhCLVZeFUoHdWMCKCHu58G2TdXeaGfQiSRpr2rt2wzHvuXzXV

The King had good reason to be surprised, though he loved his sister, it was well known that he frequented Rhaenys chambers much more often, with it being said for every one night with Visenya he spent 10 with Rhaenys.

‘’Visenya…..if you go….our child will be born in Essos, away from me….away from their birthright.’’ Aegon said, his tone gentler.

Visenya shook her head ‘’The Free Cities are the children of Old Valyria, as will our little prince or princess, they will have their whole lives to live in Westeros, but they are of Essos as well…they are Targaryen.’’ Visenya said.

‘’And if something were to happen while on this journey…I know you can take care of yourself but it is not just you you are responsible for.’’ Aegon said.

‘’I will have Vhagar, and Dark Sister.’’ Visenya said dismissively.

‘’Vhagar cannot protect you inside buildings….as I remember you telling me in the Hightower when you spoke of Balerion…if you go you will take Kingsguard with you and a retinue.’’ Aegon replied.

‘’It's not necessary.’’ Visenya said.

‘’It is….Ser Gregor Goode and Ser Harold Langward will accompany you, as well as 100 men at arms and knights from Dragonstone.’’ Aegon said firmly.

‘’Brother…’’ Visenya started but the King shook his head.

‘’That is my condition.’’ Aegon said, and Visenya nodded curtly, seeing the futility of argument.

‘’I shall make preparations then…and I suppose I should inform Rhaenys she is to be an aunt.’’ Visenya said, kissing the King's cheek before leaving the room.

‘’Congratulations cousin.’’ Corlys Velaryon, who had been standing at guard near the door said.

Aegon nodded, as Corlys bowed and left the room as it was Ser Warrick Manderlys shift to guard the King.

Aegon sat at the table and nodded for Ryam Redwyne to pour him some wine. It had been a long day and he had just learned he was to be a father…he deserved some reprieve, though unfortunately his relaxation would not last long.

There was a knock at the door, to which Ser Warrick had opened it, revealing Lord Alyn Chyttering, his spymaster.

‘’The hour is late, Lord Alyn.’’ Aegon said tiredly.

The man had nodded ‘’Aye it is your grace, and forgive the interruption but I received a raven…and as the saying goes….dark damn wings mean dark damned words.’’ He had said in his usual coarse way of speaking.

‘’Go on then.’’ Aegon said.

Alyn hesitated ‘’Perhaps it is best said in private your grace.’’ With the spymaster giving a not so subtle look to Ser Warrick Manderly.

Ser Warrick had bristled at that and Aegon shook his head ‘’Whatever can be said in my presence can be said in that of my Kingsguard…I have put trust in them.’’

Alyn had nodded ‘’Very well….I received a raven from my network in the North…there's trouble…in White Harbor.’’

Alyn gave another look to Ser Warrick Manderly, whos house was the ruling power in White Harbor.’’

‘’Go on.’’ Aegon said, though understanding of his spymaster's hesitation.

‘’Lord Willem Manderly….father of your kingsguard here… plots to murder Brandon Stark…heir to Winterfell and the North…newly married to Sharra Arryn.’’
VJP3rW8lqLxOK5esh3iyaaRznjCBwpzAbCuvaxyZU5QzXdjUcj9KM0iyQk9jDmOtyDa7FiELQQZ7IGFwACMkXjmzRS1-wTMqmJ6Ry2g4ugU8ZINeZ61Tw7UYO_oR4VMCxmvH3wWK
-TzzGJAdYUxM-NOSl8jHx-YU4hxnPU_lmyGdED2Do6JI8gKvZ2_spp7XFjrRNznln49dVy6HDBLq3VYwtJUCe5-hNSObgk3dudoTCc8_oo-bjYIP1sLO3rqQmov8y8cGLayjK3Gn

‘’You lie spymaster…’’ Ser Warrick suddenly said, his voice with obvious signs of anger at the accusation against his father.

‘’That is enough Ser Warrick…continue Lord Alyn’’ Aegon said, raising his hand to silence his Kingguard.

‘’My best guess as to his reasons are he wishes for his house and descendents to become the New Wardens of the North in time, and he understands that if Brandon Stark and Sharra Arryn should sire a wolf pup, the child would put those plans in danger as both the Vale and North would be joined…to powerful to depose.’’ Alyn explained.

‘’Send a raven demanding he end this plot…I will give him one chance, for his house's contribution in ending the Sisterman rebellion.’’ Aegon commanded and Lord Alyn nodded and set to making preparations.

Two weeks would pass with no response from the Lord of White Harbor, despite multiple ravens being sent so finally Aegon was forced to take action. He tasked Ser Warrick Manderly, his Kingsguard, to sail to White Harbor under the King's own banner with a force of men to take his Lord Father into custody.

wnw7azpK8jP3k43QE2RyeGi-gwmeW_KJa4AaV-X4FvbROHgGrc9_eyAX1ckFj4BD6TFfClx8lTbyA0rhWAMhaSnzeL1LLfH4m3eVxhh5A0-xugvifa4LIHAhBrC9VzdnEgx-hYjA

F5JIoismifvpoKWUTLNwJN9ZSpOEyutHaE1OprDvse_9_ndv1i7noPjmreLaWrycQbIpdxTBi4GCmxBmSNNb6I0oNDLg6VhE5TEewe0HZU7XIj2_PhYmZinP7ppM3ihwT8wHuMsM

Two Weeks Later
White Bay, The Bite

Ser Warrick Manderly stood at the prow of the ship, light snow falling around him, making his white Kingsguard armor slick with frost.

The small galley through the choppy gray waters of the bite, too fast for Warrick's liking, he had almost hoped they would run aground on the voyage to his childhood home, or face some other obstacle that would force them to return back to the capitol, anything was preferable to the unenviable task that lay before him, and one he would have to undertake soon based on the ships rapid approach into the harbor.

They passed the small towerforts built on large rocks jutting out of the bay that led the harbor, normally each tower would be garrisoned by crossbowmen, but today they were empty, which Warrick supposed he should be grateful for, King Aegon had not expected any resistance from Warrick's father Willem, especially since his own son would lead the expedition, but the fact the fact the towers were unmanned boded well for a peaceful imprisonment of his father.

As the ship got closer to the harbor, the familiar sight of the city came into view., the whitestone walls and towers seemingly rising up from the cold gray of the Bite.

1Y87IK_WJswk4vWybVbN3mqGVvzgOVfGJIfVsH7T1k0BV3MygPaIFtHtQAJRGtXO0i86XoLgbfYLDOJwxknqbE4UNgEaBAWIWTPOZnQrHtPxNxxJ9sEQ0ZEJlHbcK8ZbKtR-U7H9

Home Ser Warrick thought sadly, as they passed by the jutting crag called Seal Rock, which true to its name had several seals resting at its base. He remembered as a child he would occasionally brave the frigid waters of the bite to swim out to Seal Rock on warmer days…His father had scolded him harshly when he had been caught once, but he remembered seeing a hint of pride on his fathers face.

’Damn you for making me do this…Damn you old fool.’’ Ser Warrick thought, his hands gripped his sword, squeezing it hard.

He had often thought about his eventual return home, perhaps on a visit with the King. He had not seen his father since he had left to quell the Sisterman rebellion, much had changed since then, he had been blooded in battle upon the walls of Sunderland Hall and in the muddy streets of Crabbly, and had been given a white cloak and appointed to the Kingsguard as representative of the North…his father would surely be proud.

But now all of that was hollow, his father would not receive tales of his accomplishments, or bestow his youngest son any praise…Warrick would instead give his father chains and knowing his Lord Father, Warrick would receive naught but curses. The knot in Warrick's stomach tightened as they got closer, and it was not due to the conditions of the sea.

‘’The Gate is closed to us Ser.’’ Said Captain Cayle, a stern man with a shock of brown hair and a well trimmed beard, he was in command of the 50 men at arms King Aegon had given Warrick to transport his lord father back to the capitol to stand trial for attempting to murder the heir to Winterfell.

Warrick had hoped the Targaryen banner would be enough to dissuade any sort of defiance, but the fact the gate was closed despite their ship being visible was ill news.

‘’Sail in…if they meant to oppose us the harbor towers would have been manned….and we would be greeted by my fathers warships not a closed gate.’’ Warrick commanded and Captain Cayle nodded.

As they sailed closer Ser Warrick saw the white stone walls were manned by spearmen and crossbowmen. At the forefront of the Seal Gate was a Knight with long orange hair and a mustache, a man Ser Warrick had known since childhood.

jztT6ZGIUpYB-IesytfceepBrIhEnCpTDrSzV4JfI0LIIezZ547vVFrm1RRo-EXNa8o4A-21dC8fHu89uMTaRTicXU_RNzppG3zGgJKxIxPeUqy49Ve7rdIiCmuyplIYBXMkEdgZ

‘’Open the Gate Ser Harlon.’’ Warrick commanded, he had little patience for negotiation, if he was forced to do this task he would see it done as fast as possible.

‘’You are in luck Ser Warrick….your father instructed me to open the gate if it was you leading the ship.’’ Ser Harlon said, nodding for the gate to be opened.

Once it was up, the galley sailed through into the inner harbor, where it would be sheltered from the harsh winds of the bite.

Ser Warrick and his men disembarked onto the cobbled and paved streets of white harbor, its large walls shielding them from the winds, though they could do little to stop the light snow from falling.

Ser Harlon had made his way down from the walls to greet them.

‘’Your father awaits you in the Wolf's Den.’’ Ser Harlon said, referring to the old castle that served as the prison of white harbor, being built alongside the harbor walls.’’ The Knight said.

‘’Why does he not await me in the Mermans hall.’’ Ser Warrick said he had been expecting to find his Lord father upon his throne in the Manderlys keep, negotiating from a position of strength.

‘’He does not wish to sully your family hall with this event…with his surrender.’’ Ser Harlon said.

Warrick nodded to Captain Cayle to follow him with their retinue, he would not need an escort…he knew the harbor streets like the back of his hand.

As they made their way through the wide streets of White Harbor, Cayle stepped up to join him.

‘’I know it's no easy thing…what you are tasked with doing.’’ The captain said.

‘’How could you possibly understand.’’ Ser Warrick said, his words coming out harsher than he intended too.

‘’Aye…you're right…maybe I don't….but ive had to choose between those close to me and duty….during the war I fought for King Aegon, while passing through a village in the Riverlands one of my men got so drunk he mistook a villager for an ironborn…killed him where he stood….he was a good man who drank to forget what he had seen…I'd known him for years…but in the end his crimes outweighed my relation to him, duty outweighed friendship…so I sent him to his death…had him hung.’’ Captain Cayle said sadly.

Ser Warrick was silent the rest of the way to the Wolfs Den, an ancient castle with crumbling black walls situated along the sea.

As they opened the door, the smell of salt and shit hit them. The entrance was dark with only a few torches to light their way down the steps. Leaks in the foundation meant seawater was present on the steps, with the holes being so large in some places one could see the water below, dark and cold.

‘’Watch your step.’’ Warrick commanded the men behind him, who were marching single file down the narrow stairs. As they got closer to the end of the stairs, the wind grew until at last they reached the bottom of the Wolfs Den which housed a few dank cells. It was here the walls ended and the castle opened up to the sea, a fierce wind blowing in. It would be easy to escape the cells in this bottom level, but ahead was nothing but gray sea and many a man had drowned trying to escape the freezing cold of these cells and the starving rats.

D1CfltZ4bQ9AuHlMt6bsQe-TjdPmxILGP-_zJicNiYDYsedyU3VD3QD3zvLuK96brD9GjtKkrQFz_9Q456SPAr_7bqX9xP6LG-4xniDh86oIF4dZkVFPukSUKBNYYtN33HY0GRCp

His father was there, at the ledge where the crumbling floors stood above the sea below. He was armed, and dressed for battle in chainmail and a cloak with the colors of house Manderly, fastened by a silver brooch in the shape of a trident, his gray hair waving in the wind. He had a few retainers behind him but not many.

‘’Father….’’ Ser Warrick began, he had agonized over what to say but faced with the prospect of actually doing it he found himself at a loss for words.

‘’White looks good on you….I see the Dragon King has bedecked you like a maid on her wedding day.’’ Willem Manderly said, spitting on the ground.

Warrick had long since become immune to his fathers insults, he looked around the chamber.

‘’Where is Damon?’’ Warrick said, speaking of his older brother, the heir to White Harbor.

‘’I didn't want him to be here for this…i've said my farewells, to him and my grandson’’ Lord Willem said solemnly.

‘’This is all of your doing…..what madness possessed you to your treason.’’ Warrick said, no longer able to contain his anger.

‘’Concern for our family is madness is it…..Brandon Stark would have seen the end of us…the man is ambitious….and zealous….the Starks have tolerated us, allowed us to keep our faith, but I heard it told he had designs to take our land and give it to one of the tree worshipers…a ‘’true northman…and i'll be damned if I leave my line to deal with it’’ Willem said.

‘’Your reasons….your reasons do not excuse your treason…I have been ordered to take you into custody my lord.’’ Ser Warrick said, quickly composing himself, he did not wish for this to become a back and forth.

‘’Very well.’’ Lord Willem said.

There was a pause…a long silence…and then the first crossbow bolt came, striking one of Ser Warricks retinue in the throat.

Two rowboats appeared at the opening of the prison, having been lying in wait on the sides, several crossbowmen stayed on the boats, loosing bolts into the unsuspecting retinue while others jumped off and attacked.

Behind them from the stairs men began to pour out one at a time, with much of the back row of the retinue being set upon and quickly slaughtered.

‘’Dont resist Warrick!.’’ WIllem Manderly shouted throughout the chaos, the melee beginning in earnest.

Ser Warrick was no coward and ignored the advice, drawing his sword and entering the fray. A fat Manderly man at arms with an ax swung at him and Ser Warrick blocked it with his sword and quickly pulled it back, burying it in the man's gut before kicking him to the ground, a spearman tried his luck but Ser Warrick turned quickly and slashed the man's throat open, crimson blood staining the Kingsguards snow white cloak.

As Ser Warrick looked for his next opponent he saw the fight was lost, his fathers men had the element of surprise and were slaughtering his retinue. He saw one of his men in the corner begging for mercy get a spear through his eye.

By the time he turned around it was fully over, with most of his men dead or dying. He saw Captain Cayle on the ground, wounded and crawling. Willem Manderly nodded at one of his men, who walked over and put a spear in his back, kicking the captain over the ledge into the cold water of the bite.

‘’Son….yield…its over.’’ His father said.

‘’YOU BASTARD.’’ Ser Warrick screamed.

‘’Its over Warrick….its done….just drop the sword.’’ Willem continued, walking closer to him.

‘’I should kill you…’’ Ser Warrick panted.

‘’Then do it.’’ his father said raising his arms, Ser Warrick raised his blade for a moment and then lowered it…defeated.’’

‘’Why……what have you done’’ The young Kingsguard asked, the fight having left him.

‘’You think i'd let myself be taken prisoner, be taken to stand trial, thrown in a cell.’’ Willem said.

‘’You could have just left….left before we arrived, fled to the free cities….all these men didn't need to die….this could have been avoided’’ Ser Warrick said, seething.

Lord Willem nodded ‘’Perhaps….but I wasn't going to leave without you son…your my blood….you think i'd leave you in that Dragon King's service….you'd be blamed for my flight….I knew the arrogant bastard couldn't resist sending a man's own son to arrest him…I knew he'd send you. You and I shall leave. ’’

‘’And now you've doomed our whole family….when the King hears of this Damon will be punished…killed…you say you won't leave me but what about him, what about his son.’’ Warrick replied.

The Lord of White Harbor shook his head ‘’I sent him away on business before this…in truth none but the men here knew of my plans….not even Ser Harlon….your brother will be punished aye but he didn't know….they won't kill him.’’

Warrick sensed his father was telling the truth, though loyal he knew Ser Harlan would have never obeyed orders to begin a massacre.’’

‘’I'll go back…tell him the truth…anything than go with you…anything but to run.’’ Warrick said defiantly.

‘’You think I want to run boy…this is our home…my home…but you know as well as I if you ever set foot in the capitol again that bastard will kill you….we have to go.’’ Willem said, spitting to the floor.

_Qd-pZd-NhPi4pSHO0y-3-BZ9ctKMcZ5IHHIUoao6ayt5-8XflM6XYmdCAHbSmz3NLMWg0NTwIW3YjKosfinafa0Y_JF4S2iJun0OtlJjrrKPiuwRVWnVKCd2mhfDUWHmbMOUEWp

‘’Where.’’ Ser Warrick asked.

‘’We go to Essos, join a company of Freeriders….they always welcome Westerosi Knights…especially you…you will make a name for yourself.’’ Lord Willem said.

Warrick had lost all energy for the fight, he knew that he could never return to the capitol, not after this…his time as a Kingsguard was over.

Warrick nodded slowly.

‘’We must go now son….news travels fast.’’ Lord Willem said.

That night Willem Manderly and his son Warrick Manderly left White Harbor on an unassuming ship, bound for Volantis. Traveling with them were the men that had taken part in the massacre as well as Lord Willems' heavily pregnant young wife.

Ser Warrick sat at the back of the boat, the stars lighting the dark sea, he watched as White Harbor, his home faded into the distance, eventually its white walls seeming to become a star itself.

Warrick Manderly unbuckled his heavy white cloak and after a moment's hesitation threw it into the dark waters of the bite before it too was lost to the waves.

BuUU-YgoNz0sDR4TEOqNsgog8i8aH6UQQbQLsgJlnY-7d82JbfSv8dgaY2-epFHblHQe7EQWkZKd128Jz7UHmI4pLtmuMgsjx8CTGMdd57yLhcfobIMDMYm3DZIv7B-xU4STll_m
AKjB212b2Q8wqg2JRSwFEvT40seZNeRvkvqMyHRzFNTHZE0m1cc1JxskNuKArOj7WXpSrqx9gnseV7bXg_0TMcjS0aVnjUIUDY8ChFwCVCPw5XqdamwXZ1D9rwJIXqfWP-d3-a_Q

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: