• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
after i lost my knife and some one help me i then had a quick look for my knife but chould not find so i move a little bit from the fight and decide to be a sniper. i herd and seen a shot but couldr not fire at him because he was to far to tell who fired. i then seen a german running away so i fired once and hit him in the head. i went over to him and he had a radio so he must have been moveing to use it to get reinforce. well we will just have to Wait and see

Smoothly and almost soundlessly, a tall, broad-shouldered shape makes his way out of the shrub on the side of the road. Walking self-assuredly along the road back to where he left his rifle, he only stops to stoop down to a dead German soldier, eyes wide open. Blitzkreig closes the young mans eyes with a black-gloved hand, mubling something in German. Stains of drying blood cover the exiled-Germans face, a result of the quick struggle against a desperate, dying man, making his face a mask of death in the pale light of the moon. Though, he doesn't seem to care as he walks the last few metres to pick up his old rifle.

Blitzkreig then walks among the German bodies, quickly searching them for any ammo he can get loose quickly, these bullets were hard to find in England. He takes two clips for his rifle, though there were more available, but can't find any ammo for his Luger. Shrugging, he stands up and joins the rest of the group. Seeing Fade being helped up by Exterous and the Captain, he raises an eyebrow at the lack of blood though he remains silent. Had the man stumbled on a branch or, perhaps, had he been the cause of the shooting? This was no time for questions though, turning to the Captain, he awaited further orders.

As usual, Hawkeye was last....even if he admited a long time ago that his blood lust was just a distant memory, the first deaths struck all his inner cells. The filthy incense of death was again around him and he had to obey it...he had to kill, not to survive, but to exist. The aging Quartermaster remembered something his brother used to repeat before each attack: "Man is beast for man". We are beasts, indeed, for we not only kill, but also find reasons for each murder. It's the most vicious circle I know and I am once again in its deep shit.

This was not about duty, was about lives. Hawkeye kept after the captain, trying to protect everyone else. It wasn't the easiest task in the world but he kept it. Fade's fall seemed to create the first victim of the attack, but, seeing that the fellow was given assistance, he raced towards the nearest tree, expecting a command of some sort, before exposing again to the enemy fire.

He was back in this god-forsakin' continent....

Last edited:
The Ambush

The ambush played out without the time for anyone to attempt applying any logic to the situation. Even with the best training in the world, combat had always been a spontaneous affair, never acknowledging the best laid plans.

The squad’s effort’s meant that the attack occurred quickly enough, first strike went to the men of M.I.A Company. On hearing the muffled warning issued by Ladybug, the ring of commandos separated into two squads, each moved to take out one of the German patrols.

Squad One, consisting of the Captain, Lady E, Hawkeye and Privates Fade, Ladybug, iBaLkid and Kelley crouched ready to take out the patrol on the left hand side. Squad Two consisting of Corporal Exterous and Privates Morpheus, Blitzkrieg, Pinkus-Pils and Jech readied themselves to take out the patrol on the right.

Ambush Sprung!

The men nearest the approaching German soldiers let them pass, until agent Lady E calmly stood up and walked out to the lead German of the first group. On the right hand trail, the other group of Germans went down a man, as one of their former own - Blitzkreig, silently took out the last man.

The lead German of the left patrol was surprised to see a woman walking alone on this minor trail. Had he not been distracted by her graceful features he would have avoided being fatally surprised, as she swiftly and expertly drove the blade of her knife into him. He stood amazed at his imminent demise, the rest of his squad as yet unaware of their impending doom. Near her, Ladybug muttered in awe something that resembled ‘hazy ditch’, then struck the German standing directly in front of him. The enemy squads were now three men down, with only seconds past. The ambush was sprung.

Next to Blitzkreig, Corporal Exterous followed the ex-Fallschirm’s method, taking down his own target, silently and swiftly. The Germans were now four down in total. Over on the left, the Germans seeing Ladybug assault one of their own, replace the sudden shock, with the effects of hours of repetitive training took hold as their sense of danger was realised. Seeing his own target un-holster a Luger pistol, Private Kelley launched himself at the German platoon commander, a leutnant. He drove his knife into him, his momentum carrying them onto the forth soldier in this patrol, causing him to drop his Kar-98 rifle as he tried to stop his dying comrade forcing him to the ground.

Just as Ladybug looked to grapple with the final German in the left side patrol, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Fade move forward to take out the final soldier. Fade being the size of a mountain gave the final soldier a chance to manoeuvre his rifle into position to fire. He managed to fire a shot off.

The three remaining German soldiers on the right hand path, on hearing a shot ring out, turned in panic toward the direction it came from, weapons readied. In the next instant death fell from above as Private Morpheus leapt from a tree directly in front of them. Dealing with the soldier on his right, with his knife, he then attempted to throw it at the German on his left. Then with his last movement he aimed the silenced revolver at the man directly in front of his and squeezed off a shot.

The muffled shot missed the second German who ran forward MP-38 machine pistol in hand, straight towards an unseen Jech. The young American waited, lying prone until he ran past, before striking him dead, but not before the German managed to shout something in his native tongue. With the regret of letting the enemy shout out, Private Jech crouched on the balls of his feet ready for his next opponent.

The lead German of the right hand patrol dodged Morpheus’ thrown knife then saw the figure of Private Pinkus loom up before him. The German shouted a death curse at the charging man. Pinkus-Pils responded in broken German, surprising the enemy soldier enough to smash his rifle into the unfortunate man’s face. He succumbed to unconsciousness.

The remaining final two enemy soldiers located towards the rear of the left hand patrol, now stood ready to avenge their dead and dying comrades. Fade and iBaLkid rushed to take them out. Somewhat lumbering forwards, Fade never made it to his mark. The German soldier managed to fire a shot off, directly at the point man, who crumpled to the ground. To his rear the Captain and Hawkeye seeing this, rush forward to render assistance, fearing for the big mans life.

The other soldier now under the bodies of his dead officer and Private Kelley pushed them off, before attempting to rise to his feet. He never got the chance. Private iBaLkid pulled the trigger of his revolver killing him instantly. The soldier that shot at Private Fade, seeing the dilemma he was in attempted to fallback, simultaneously reaching for a portable radio handset on his back. With his dying breath he would alert the rest of his company. He never made it. With crossbow drawn, Private Ladybug nailed him with a crossbow bolt to the temple.

Ambush Complete

At the Ambush Site, Waypoint 1: With the ambush swiftly over, the Captain and Hawkeye are relieved to see a somewhat dazed Fade get up and holding his broken rifle up. He sets about complaining that the rifle butt is smashed to pieces. Grabbing a rifle and some magazines off a dead German, he squats down as the rest of the men salvage equipment and form up around Captain Coats.

As Corporal Exterous moved up and saw that Fade was not even injured he suppressed a smile and joined the Captain, Hawkeye and Lady E. The rest of the squads positioned themselves around the small group. Lying prone or crouching low the men readied their weapons and listened out.

Captain Coats’ mind raced through a kaleidoscope of thoughts. The ambush hadn’t gone exactly to plan, a shot had rung out. Obviously, it would have been heard and the enemy alerted! By now, every German from here to Berlin would surely know they were here in the woods.

The team waited and listened apprehensively for a few minutes. No sounds could be heard. Then in an instant, over to the west a range of automatic and single shot small arms fire could be heard. ‘What the incarnation’ thought Coats? He looked at his men in turn and then Lady E with puzzlement. A knowing smile flashed across Lady E’s face.

Lady E – “Of course! They are on exercise.”

Corporal Exterous, Hawkeye and the Captain looked at each other. ‘Could they be this lucky’, they thought. Private Jech whispered loudly.

Jech – “They only got one shot off! It takes at least two shots to be able to ass-a-tain the position of a hunter in woods! Maybe they think it was an overeager Fallschirmer”

Realising the import of his words, the men chuckled in relief. Captain Coats himself also let out a breath of relief, before speaking.

Coats – “Ok corporal, let’s take the men onwards to waypoint two, and make sure everyone understands that knives and revolvers or crossbows are the order of the day unless I give the order. We don’t want the Germans to know they’ve got a storm coming.”

Formation.jpg

In Wedge Formation

Corporal Exterous nodded and returned to the men of his squad. On seeing the captain give the signal, the two squads now fanned out into a wedge formation, with the point man taking

Moving to waypoint two: As the squads moved forward through the sparse vegetation of the large field needed to be crossed, they used what shrubbery there was to be found, as much as possible.

terrainwp2.jpg

Terrain ahead of the squad

The dimly illuminated sky would conceal their movement as they made their way forward. They moved quickly, but as silently as possible.

Situ2.jpg

The squad's current position

All around this particular area, more patrols from the company of Luftwaffe Infantiere would be out and about. To the far west, where the Fallschirm had landed, large simulated explosions, and live small arms fire sounded constantly as the German paratroopers went about tonight’s training exercise. A smile crossed the Captain’s face as he moved onwards to their next objective.

Meanwhile, from the ambush site were the M.I.A company squads had successfully taken out the German patrol, all lay silent and still, except for a figure who although unconscious would begin to stir into consciousness in a while, a very short while.

With no more Germans currently in sight, the men of M.I.A Company moved forward, each thought to themselves and wondered what tonight’s foolhardiness would bring.

Only members of MIA company that have volunteered for this mission can post. If you are a member and don’t know what is going on, I suggest you head to the thread indicated below. Please do not post below if you are NOT on this mission, until further notice.:

MIA Company Discussion Thread

If you wish to become part of the Company you can now register at the newly opened Recruitment Centre:

M.I.A Recruitment Centre

However, you wont be eligible for this mission I'm afraid! :(

If you wish to comment on this AAR, please post in this NEWLY CREATED thread:

THE DOGS OF WAR: M.I.A COMPANY CHRONICLES - The Briefing Room

Thanks for your patience.

This is AAR isn’t a game, but rather an ADVENTURE!:)

Thanks

2Coats

Morpheus knelt to the grass, drawing his knife from its sheath as he did.Damn, I wish I'd remembered to clean this off before I put it away... well, better late than never, he thought, and wiped it on the grass. Now the blade's gonna stick every now and then. Hopefully not when I need it most...

As he rose, Morpheus glanced around at his comrades, analyzing each in turn. They all seemed to be settling into the mission nicely. Even Jech had shed his pre-mission jitters and was performing at what Morpheus gauged as full capacity. He just hoped that they wouldn't run into any more Fallschirms on the road to the next waypoint.....

Last edited:
Jech formed up and moved on the far left of the wedge postion. As he walked he tried to wipe off as much blood off his hands as he could. I have just killed a man and I have no remorse. I could have just made a widow or a fatherless son or daughter and yet still no sadness. Only utter shock at the fact that combat had finnaly come. Time for prayers and thoughts would come other times, now I had to focus on the rest of the mission and be at the ready for anything that could occur

Lost in his thoughts he realized that the company had reached the end of the clearing. He took his knife out once again and crouched down near what looked like an old blackberry bush ready for anything that might happen. The fear was coming back...I had to fight it...Sitting here in the dark and thinking of the ambush, I knew anything was possible.....Our Father.... Saying that prayer helped, I am not really religous but saying bible verses and prayers always has calmed me down...

Last edited:
I can certainly say that inflicting a major injury on someone was not a great feeling. In fact I felt guilty about it. The german soldier was still alive, I just couldn't get over the pain I believed he would go through once he woke up and saw all of his fallen comadres scattered around him. I know it's war and the first rule of war is that people die, I just couldn't get past the sick feeling I had in my stomach.

I was way out on the left flank of the wedge, only Jech is farther from the center than myself. The fact that we were both green kids, despite what we just went through, did not give me a sense of security. I tried to focus myself and forget what just happened because we still had a mission to complete.

I have not said a word to anyone since we formed up near the landing zone. I continued my silence as we slowly made our way closer to the objective. Though the moon did provide some light, it was still too dark for my taste. Damn, I wish I smuggled some brandy in my gear. That would calm me down more than anything. But to no avail. Even though there are several comrades around me, I never felt more alone in my life.

ladybug thinking

well it looks like everyone is ok. lets just hope there is no more befor we get there and no one rembers the bets. i wonder where they got Lady E she is mad. i gess that they dont care who they get but at lest we can count on her in a fight unlike some people i used to know.

on the walk to waypoint 2
it was quite dark and you could hear firing from where the gerrman pars are training near by but to far to see. i had capt coats in front of me pvt kelley to the back and right and howkeye to the back and left. when we left base it was sopost to be a line where i was at the back but thei is beter because i can see more but there is still not much to see.

I walked in silence along with the other men on the way to our next objective. I offered nods of reassurance to some of the men, mainly jech and pinkus-pills.
My pack shifted on my shoulders and i shifted it back. I looked down and my right hand was shaking. And, now that i though about it, my ankle hurt too. I think the affects of combat were wearing off on me.
Speaking of thinking..... That german I had just killed. My first kill. The first time I had taken a life from someone. Did he have a wife? Maybe some kids? Maybe just a girlfriend who had dinner waiting for him when he got back Which he never will thanks to you.....
I shake the thoughts from my head. This is no time for dwelling. There was a mission to accomplish, the dwelling and, i heard, nightmares, would come later.
I continued my silent walk with the other men.

Having pulled right flank security, Kelley kept his eyes focused sideward with a periodic look back, walking easily but lightly.

The kids didn't do too bad, he thought. That Lahmey colonel down in Jo-burg was raht: "You Yanks ah so easily misundahstood. People see yoah ineptitude in ev-ery basic arena of mahtial endeavah, and they scoff. They do you chaps a great dissehvice. What they fail to apprehend is that it is yoah strength, for it leads you to attempt the most outlandish and bizzah tactics. As the enemy ah not anticipating that anyone would attempt such madness, they ah nevah prepahed. Therefoah you often gain the victory, though sometimes at a teddible cost, wheah a sensible foahce could only have anticipated the most ignominious defeat." Ah say, old bean, good point. Reckon we'll see.

jkk

Cold, what a perfect word that is to discribe how I feel. When that rifle went off and the pain in my stomach hit me, I truly thought the the end had come. Imagine my suprize when I looked down and saw the butt of the rifle in pieces. Lucky, is the word I shall use, but I've always been lucky in life it seems.

When I was a young boy of about 9 there was a old rope swing in our back yard, you know the type where a old tire is tied to a length of rope hung from a tree. Well me and this kid Jimmy Wingerd from down the street started playing on it, first I would take off running and jump on it an swing out into the yard. Then he would, after abit we got a little bored so we started to climb the tree and jump off. Jimmy went first and it was perfect, fast and high, but my mother called me to come in for dinner, Jimmy took my turn. I heard him hit the ground, the sound of bones braking as I was walking away, looking back I can still see where the rope broke. Alway thought it should have been me that fell that afternoon but like I said always been lucky.

My thoughts returned after a second of looking back, The gound in front of me is open very few trees, but I know one thing, no way will I take my company down one of those easy paths, all it would take is one anti-personel mine and its over.

Low and slow just like I was trained, rifle carried on my hip the perfect hieght to take a man in the abdomen. Crouched over you can still make pretty good time and not be sloppy. That was my goal not to be sloppy, I signal behind that I'm moving out, after a little move I look back and see the company moving. I continue my slow assault making as little noise as possible.

Looking around I take in as much of the scenery as I can, no sounds other than the training soldiers, good I dont want another repeat of the last action. I make it to the tree line and signal all is clear...

ACHTUNG MINEFIELD!!

Crossing the Field – Halfway to Waypoint 2: First and Second squads moved rapidly forwards through the shrub covered field. The men along with Lady E frog leaped each other, one soldier covering for the next. In the dim moon light, visibility was down to just a few yards. Some of the men betrayed thoughts of regret, others did not.

Further to the west, the live fire operation undertaken by the Fallschirm was in full swing. The echoing sound of rifle’s, sub-marchineguns and machineguns penetrating the air was now constant. Every so often, the night sky became lit up with the aura of an exploding flare, shot skyward by the Germans undertaking the training exercise. At the shrill screeching sound made by these devices of illumination, the troops of M.I.A would cease all movement and either lie prone or crouch down in nearby cover.

Captain Coats scampered along in his usual position on the right flank of the V-formation. Across from him, on the other flank Corporal Exterous managed his troops. Both squad leaders were in a position whereby any hand signal by the point man could be easy passed downward of themselves, allowing the formation to be instantly alerted to any danger. He carried his Thompson Sub-machinegun in his left hand he moved forward. Looking around him as he stopped to provide cover fire while the next man moved, he covered his field of fire with the as yet un-reloaded silenced revolver.

Throughout his mind thoughts of the reactive ambush that had taken care of the German patrol plagued him. Precision it had not been, but still, luck had been on their side and they had survived the brief skirmish, even if one of the Germans had managed to fire a shot, the simulated combat of the combat exercise to the west would have covered up any thoughts by patrolling Germans that a threat existed to the airfield and base. Or so Captain Coats hoped!

Then, just as the squads reached thirty feet from the edge of the field Fade raised his left fist next to his helmeted head, signalling a halt. In unison the squads did so. As every man and woman looked around to see the reason for Fade’s signal, another signal, was transmitted down the lines of the V-formation.

Coats saw what the last signal was and immediately relayed it to the men on his side of the formation, as did Exterous for his squad.

achtung_minen.jpg

Fade almost runs into a signpost in the dark

Then the unit leader and squad leader looked at each other almost simultaneously. If the moonlight had been a little stronger, they may have seen each others worried features. ‘ACTHUNG-MINEN!’ – A MINEFIELD!

Everyone stopped moving and waited for the next order.

Now feeling a little apprehension, the Captain signalled to Exterous to form up in a line behind their most experienced man with German mines, Blitzkrieg. Each member of the squad now prodded the ground immediately around themselves with their combat knives. None were in the near vicinity.

Corporal Exterous signalled to Blitzkreig to take point and lead the line of soldiers through the remainder of the small minefield.

Minefield3.jpg

Looking forwards, in the minefield, the woods ahead

Minefield.jpg

Looking to the right, in the minefield, the road running to the prison facility

Blitzkreig stepped past Fade and prepared himself to scout for mines a few yards ahead of the rest of the unit. His palms began to sweat, a sign of fear perhaps. He put such emotions aside and began to crawl forwards painfully slowly. In the background, the sounds of the gunfire and the periodic night sky illumination by flares continued.

Last edited:
Achtung minen... Hadn't it been enough with the patrol? Well it wasn't much he could do about it, it was just one more step on the path to the missions objective, but it could've been an easier step. Admittedly, he was afraid of this particular procedure, concealing mines had been one of his favourtie jobs, the finding part came in second hand. He sighed and shrugged, barely visible or audible because of the darkness and the rattle of machinegun fire from his former brothers exercise. Strapping his rifle onto his back and pulling out his knife, he crouched down and started to move forward while gesturing to the company to wait. Painfully slowly, he moved around, trying to find enough mines to distinguish a pattern in the mining. After a minute or two, he was sure enough, this was just a standard Nachruf, a death rune. Making the curtest of hand signals, he signalled the squad to trace his footsteps while making his way forward with stiff precision, prodding the ground at certain intervals just to be sure he wouldn't be the victim of some Germans artistic creativity.

Blitzkreig swallowed, or was it a death rune? He signalled a halt, kept prodding the ground for another minute or so to find the mines that should be ther, and exhaled slowly, trying not to let on that he wasn't too sure of what he was leading them into. He had made it this far and wasn't about to let some simple slate of explosives end his search for vengeance. Taking another deep breath and examining the ground around him, he gestured for them to follow his footsteps again, and kept going into the shadowed minefield, hoping that all would be allright.... All would be allright....

I was finally starting to calm my nerves and tried to remember back to the mission briefing. The Captain made it sound so easy back at the base, it sounded like a cakewalk.

Word passed down to the flanks that we happened to be standing right in the middle of a mine field. I instantly froze and felt my spine shiver in fear. My God, what's going on here now? A German patrol and a mine field...what could be next?. The Captain took control of the situation by having Blitzkrieg find a path through the death laced field. Any wrong step could cost a life and possibly the mission.

Blitzkrieg had the not so desired task of finding/clearing a path for us. Time seemed to stand still as we waited in fear, though I was afraid...I managed to keep my composure as best I could. Slowly but surely we managed to cross the remainder of the mine field following the footprints of our pathfinder.

All I know is that everybody needs to buy a round for Blitzkrieg as soon as we make it back home.

Dammit I knew there would be mines, I'm glad this German here knows what he's doing otherwise this is going to get real ugly.

Private Blitzkrieg stepped past me and knelled down starting to probe the dirt with his knife. I know now why Captin told him to take the lead, this mine layout is like nothing I've ever seen, strange configuration. Watching like a hawk to see what he's doing I memorize the patern. You never know when it may come in handy.

It's slow going but after alittle while we all make it throught to the woods. Blitzkrieg signals back all is clear, I head to the front of the company again. The tree cover here is much thicker, alot better to conceal our little group. It's looking better for us, now to get this mission going.

Up ahead I can hear the sound of engines, large powerful motors. Maybe 150-200 yards at the most, it seems that its about to get very interesting here again real quick.

"Mines!"

I looked at the sign. Sure enough, my limited german lang skills were not needed to interpret the sign. An icy hadnd grabbed my heart and my skin went cold. The patrol hadn't scared me this much. At least there you had more control over your life. Here, you could take a step and watch as part of your leg get blown to bits.

I crouched and dug in the area around me for mines. Seeing that the area was clear, i laid down and started clearing the area to Blitzkrieg's path.

I took a brief break and looked to the rest of my company and saw taht others were making progress as well.

*klink

My hand froze. My knife had hit something. I dug a bit more only to find it was a rock. Great. Now i hate rocks After i restarted my heart, i made it with all my appendages to the path and was able to follow Blitzkrieg, Fade and Pinkus-pills through the minefiled........

Thinking-Mines? Why would there be mines here? Theres just no reason for it. Didn't hear anything baout this at HQ....maybe they're onto me? No can't be, I've been so careful.

Follows behind the company stepping very lightly.

Thinking-Reminds me off that day in Munich at the Luftwaffe training base when I stole those plans for the Bf 109. Now taht was a big minefield.

Starts to giggle to herself drawing some odd look sfrom the other guys.

Heres someone's knife strike a metallic sounding object and freezes. Realises that it was just a rock and lets out a sigh of relief. Grins at the man behind her and starts of again.

Last edited:
The husky old horse soldier gots the signal and stoods like a statue from the waist down, head swiveling to maintain flank security. No question. When y'have to sneak into Germany to faht Krauts, 'specially paratroopin' Krauts, it's a good ahdea to bring an aw-thentic German.

He sensed a distance from the rest, one he had expected from the beginning: that of young and old. Don't give a pahl'a cowflop. Here to do a job. He reminded himself to stay focused, do his job, the hell with all the rest of the intellectualism.

There was no need for the men to know that he was a published author with a college degree and conversant with six languages. Tell 'em that, y'end up interrogatin' goddamn POWs all war, and you bring to mahnd yo'daddy's favoraht way'a callin' a idjit a idjit: "Son, that boy is so dumb he ain't sure whether Chrahst was crucifahd or maybe run over bah a milk truck." Ah ain't interested. Plus, if they knew, they wouldn't care, nor should they. Right now it was all about the mission.

Thus he waited, weapon on safety and a round in the chamber, holding the preferred weapon of organized crime in his native land.

jkk

Moving behind Exterous, Morpheus was fairly sure he wouldn't encounter any mines if he just followed closely behind. That didn't stop him from rooting around with his knife, not one bit. Agh, this is gonna make the knife even more prone to sticking...., he thought. Well, it was a chance he'd have to take. A stuck knife is better than a step on a land mine any day.

When he saw Fade stop digging for a second and look like he was listening--hard--to something, Morpheus perked up his ears too. Sure enough off in the distance, he heard the rumble of motors. He froze. That wasn't in any of his scenarios. Well, neither was this. I suppose we can deal with it when it comes...

EnRoute to the Bridge

Through the minefield: Finally, a full hour later the squads gathered up at the far side of the minefield. Now just a few metres in the treelike of the woods, Hawkeye counted the number of heads he could see from his position, crouched near the captain. All accounted for, even the intelligence operative.

The troop had waited for Blitzkreig to clear the way through the dimly moonlit field and then stepped directly on the imprint left by his booted feet. Illumination was so bad that the captain could not gauge the welfare of his men as this critical time.

Some of the men showed no fear as they trudged behind crouched over, as slowly as possible. Others hid the feelings of anxiety with well worn masks of determination. Only Fade seemed to be focusing on the task to hand, attempting to memorise the patterns of the mines that Blitzkreig expertly identified and marked.

Every so often a flare or two was shot skyward and illuminated the entire area. At the sound of the flare the members of the troop would lie on the ground waiting for the effect of the flare to fade. On a couple of occasions the troop would hold still, when a soldier hit something that sounded metallic. Lucky for the squad members it had proved to have been rocks.

When the last man, Ladybug was through the other side, the squads formed up again in V-formation and headed onward through the slightly dense woodland towards waypoint two.

The ambient temperature was now dropping rapidly. The breath of the soldiers could be seen as each man and woman exhaled. Those that had neckscarfs on their person lifted them to cover their mouths. The squad slowly and vigilantly, moved on, stopping every so often at any suspicious moment or sound from around the surrounding foliage.

A few hundred metres away from their objective, point man Fade heard a faint sound coming from the road ahead. He signalled for the formation to immediately halt. The squads did so. All members were now crouched against trees or bushes. No one but Fade could hear the sound as yet; his keen hearing identified the cause before it came into view. Fade signalled again and each squad member lay prone.

Convoy.jpg

The convoy races from the airfield

The sound grew louder. At the nearly the last moment, Fade ducked his head as a column of German vehicles heading from the airfield whizzed past the camouflaged squad. Moments later they were disappeared from visible and audible ranges, heading northwards. The soldiers rose slightly testing the ambience of their surroundings. It was clear. Fade signalled for the Captain to approach the head of the formation, which he did. The private had something to tell his captain.

Fade – “Captain, a convoy just rode past! A kubelwagen and four army trucks.”

Coats – “Anyone in them?”

Fade – “No sir, they were empty!”

Coats – “Ok, Fade, lead on!”

At the Bridge: Fade led the formation of men and one lady onwards to the almost the edge of the woodland, within twenty feet of the bridge that they would have to rig with explosives.

bridge2.jpg

The Bridge

Each member of the team now moved up, to form a line formation. Before them, lay the next objective. The bridge stretched across the chasm, guarded by German sentries. It had been built by the enemy's engineer Korps. The bridge was a solidly made construction, built recently to allow access over the newly dug quarry.

quarryview.jpg

A view of the bridge and the quarry from the west-side

The large quarry in front of them was around eight hundred feet in length by thirty feet. It was obvious that the Germans hadn’t initially thought they would have to dig into the rocky outcrop that originally formed the road that ran to the airfield. For whatever reason, that plan had changed, which had given the engineers the chance to build it.

Two hundred metres to the east of the bridge, the ground at this elevation remained the same but was full of dense piled trees. This was where the quarry site was still untapped. To the west of the bridge was where the quarry had been initially excavated.

There, the high elevation that the squad was currently on along with the bridge sloped down to form the bottom of the quarry. At the far of the western side of the quarry was a large pool of water. On the side of the bridge, the road continued straight to where the airfield was situated. The woodland thinned out further to the south.

SentriesA.jpg

Two sentries chat on this side of the bridge

Pointing at the four guards on this side of the bridge and then half dozen on the other side, Fade drew the index finger of his right hand, under his chin. 'Deadmeat!'

Situ8.jpg

The current situation and Second Squads maneuver

The Captain nodded and then signalled for Corporal Exterous and Lady E to join him. In whispered tones he laid out the details of a plan.

Last edited: