• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
carlec said:
Did I miss a memo? Was there some OTHER reason to fight a war to the death with Austria if we WEREN'T going to keep them as our vassal? I mean, if we only planned to do that just to see them go away, then what a waste of manpower, money and reputation, not to speak of ruining a good ally in the process!

:rofl:

We did not lose any reputation. And a very fortunate consequence of the war was that Parma was also reputation free. Had we been at peace, if we honored the call to war against Parma, Charles Emmanuel would have walked and taken command of the siege, and if we had dishonored to protect Parma's "independence", it could have taken a lot of effort to gain them into our alliance. It is understandable that Savoy has a grudge on us. After all they have gone from a five province country to a two province country for supporting us in our war, and asking for our help against Parma.

Vendramin.gif

Matteo Vendramin​

Doge and senotors, here are the votes and wisdom of house Vendramin:

Election 64
1 Kingdom of Jerusalem, Parma, Austria, Ethiopia, Savoy
2 Papal states, Bosnia, Bulgaria
3 Ottoman empire
4 Indian states
5 Peace

Election 65
1 yes
2 yes
3 no
4 B

Election 66
Q+ C+ C+

Election 67
1 15%
2 0% until infra 7 is reached, then 30%
3 0% until naval 16, then 30%
4 trade 8
5 BEA(rafinery)DCF

Last edited:
Code:
Election 64
1. K.o.Jerusalem, Parma, Austria, Savoy
2. Spain, Hungary, Bulgaria, Knights, Netherlands
3. Ottoman Empire, Genova
4. Vijayanagar and allies, Mysore
war
With things having turned out fortunately for serenissima, I think we could once more start expanding our realm in India. Mysore may be worthless as a province, but it maybe has gold and maps. If their army is small, it could be worth an expedition. However, if they have strong forces, it would be more of a loss then a gain, thus we should not attack in that case, unless they are allied with Vijayanagar. If a casus belli against Vijayanagar appears, we should use it without hesitation.

Code:
Election 65
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 A
Austria is too much of a precious gain to be lost now. They will never stop unless we firmly connect them to us as our satellite.

Code:
Election 66
A+,M-,M-

Code:
Election 67
1. 20%
2. 40%
3. 20%
4.Trade
5.E-B-A(FAA)-D-F-C
Fortifications of Tyrol should be less of an issue now Austria is our vassal. Good relations with Austria on other hand are top priority.

Last edited:
Barbarigo.gif

Cataldo Barbarigo​

Code:
Election 64.
1. Jerusalem, Savoy, Parma, Spain, Mysore
2. Bosnia, Bulgaria, Austria, Switzerland, Wallachia, Ethiopia
3. The Knights
4. Genoa, Vijayanagar
5. War
If Genoa could be subdued and vassalised we find it too tempting to resist.

Code:
Election 65.
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. A
Parma should be incorporated, but I don't want to meddle more in German business than we absolutely need to. We see Austria as a buffer, nothing more.

Code:
Election 66.
M- M- I-

More merchants are needed for the eastern markets. Eventually we have to get more immigrants as well, to fill up what new virgin land we can find.

Code:
Election 67.
1. 70%
2. 50%
3. 50%
4. Trade 8
5. B, A, C, D, E, F

Our inflation is no worry anymore due to the wise rulership of the past and our effecient bureaucracy. We have plenty of very good investment opportunities open to us, like manufactories and conversions. The pay-off for a manufactory well makes up for any inflation increase, at our monthly income.
Cyprus under the aegis of the trusted Cornaro family sound like an excellent place for a refinery. Our Mediterranean empire needs more wine!
I think we should push on for land 18, that would allow us to setup whole industrial centers for military development.
Refineries and conversions are expensive but important long-term investments. How wonderful would it not be to hear church bells sound over Egypt instead of the cries of muezzins!

Election 64

Dear Friends: KoJ, Austria, Parma, Savoy
Friends: Spain, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Pope, Wallachia, Transylvania, Knights
Adversaries: Hungary, France, England
Enemies: Ottos, Vijayanagar, Port (colonial), Neth (colonial)
War: Yes

Election 64
1. Yes, 2. Yes, 3. Yes, 4. A

Election 66
I- I- (free conversions) C+

Election 67
1. 10% 2. 50% 3. 50% 4. Infra 8 5. A(Refinery), B, E, D, F, C

Arturo Gandolfi
\

Cornaro_G.gif

My Doge, please excuse my excesses and my failure to finish the voting. Here are the remains of my votes for these many elections.

Election 65

I want to ask for clarification Doge--when you say "keep Austria happy" are you meaning "raising relations to the point of accomplishing #3" or are you saying "long term expenditures over decades to maintain a high relationship." I would NOT want to see us become the funding agent of Hapsburg expansion over years and years. I would want to spend the money necessary to get them into our alliance. What happens after that with our relations (similar to Spain) would be whatever happens. So, I'm not sure how to vote on that and I want to tweak my vote if you mean the first option I listed there.

4. A (I had not voted clearly on that one, but again I believe we make this a priority and then this quesition will be moot.)

Election 66
I- M- I-

Election 67
1. 50% (let's get some things done quickly, like the Austria deal)
2. 30%
3. 0%
4. Trade 8
E, A, D, B, F, C
diplomatic (Austria or Election 65 is silly; unless you mean otherwise than Austria--in that case, my first choice would be Manu/refinery); Manu/refinery/Cyprus; rebuild naval fleet;

Dear Cornaro,

First of all congratulations for your victories in the recent Archdukal war. The sorry estate of our diplomacy that my shortsighted predecessor left us, is worrysome to the Signoria. Apparently a Black legend has spread over Europed, fueled by our adversaries, that depicts a sinister scheaming Republic, governed not openly by public debate, but by unscrupulous men that hide in the shadows, and plot the destruction of the international order for their personal profit only. Our defensive actions against the Turks and the Germans are presented as aggressions. Our assault of Viena leaded by senator Svantevid, is compared to the assault of Constantinople by Doge Dandolo, that resulted in the partition of the Roman Empire, accelerating its fall.

Our reputation is so bad, that our allies soon start paying credit to our difamators. And there is no easy solution to that problem, as it will take a century to clean our reputation. Until then, every single one of our allies has to be bribed regularly to support our policies.

If we get in the good side of the Emperor, and we get him to become our ally, and then stop sending him presents, in just two decades our relations will be disfavorable, and if there is a call to a war that they dishonor (like the case of Parma for Spain), they will immediately break the vassalage and backstab us again. There is no middle ground, or they are our allies and relations are kept around +125 through money until the senate decides the contrary, or we may as well enjoy 5 years of vassalage, and get some cash out of it while curbing their income, instead of pouring money.

In one case we buy peace, in the other we punish our enemies. Either way Venice will be fine.

Your friend,

Marino

Fodoron said:
Dear Cornaro,
If we get in the good side of the Emperor, and we get him to become our ally, and then stop sending him presents, in just two decades our relations will be disfavorable, and if there is a call to a war that they dishonor (like the case of Parma for Spain), they will immediately break the vassalage and backstab us again. There is no middle ground, or they are our allies and relations are kept around +125 through money until the senate decides the contrary, or we may as well enjoy 5 years of vassalage, and get some cash out of it while curbing their income, instead of pouring money.

In one case we buy peace, in the other we punish our enemies. Either way Venice will be fine.

Your friend,

Marino

Cornaro_G.gif

My doge, thank you for your kind words. I merely did my duty as my grandfather before me in the battles of Rumelia against the infidel.

You are certainly wiser than I. If indeed this is the case, then ultimately I have miscast my vote to go to war with Austria in the first place. I understand your words and now see what you can see (and obviously I could not). If we make someone our vassal, but know for certain that we cannot keep them, then that is a waste of manpower and money.

If we go to war in order to stop a nation from attacking us, by making them our vassal, but if we know they will break vassalage [and exactly how does that happen anyway]
[ooc--I don't think I've ever had that happen in game; has it happened often to any of you?] then why waste the effort? They will simply break vassalage and attack us again.

Sigh--perhaps I am still missing something. My vote to war to vassalization was a vote to END the war with Austria, but I assumed that would mean them in our alliance for at least 40-70 years, depending on how things went.

I suppose I am now very confused and want to remove my vote in election 65. I simply do not know what I think we should do. I was reading the archives and long ago, our ancestors, wise men all like Dandolo and my ancestor Carlo, led this very Senate to NOT become embroiled in German issues. I am now almost to the feeling of giving Tyrol back to the Austrians the next time they attack, at the start of the war, just to not waste time in this region. We have all agreed that our future is in India, controlling the trade of the Med and uniting all of Italy--Germany is not our future.

I am perplexed I tell you, perplexed. I want nothing to do with Austria, but they attack us 3, 4 times. We win each time and it is obvious they won't quit, so we vassalize them. But now we (or perhaps only I) discover that we can't keep them as vassal or it will drain our coffers. I suppose that only means more war in short order.

I urge every Senator who voted yes on 65, part 2 and 3, to return and recast your vote as a NO. We have need of our riches in India, in building manufactures, in perhaps building up fortress walls [since Austria probably will keep coming], and in building up our navy [wooden walls both for the Red Sea AND the Med--you never know when the infidel will return]. Plus, we now have reason to be ready to complete our goals in Italy should Spain turn against us. And, if that day came (note I am NOT proposing attacking Spain), but if they attacked us, then we could sail with power to Castilla and perhaps ransack their map room!

Please Senators, rethink election 65. The Doge's hands will be tied if the election stays as is, with expenditures for, well, forever, towards Austria. Come back and change your vote to NO and we'll let the chips fall where they may.

Dear Senators,

The Family of Contarini has always valued the opinion of Senator Cornaro, and therefore we change our vote to NO in the election 65. There is no use for us to get involveld into German quarrels. We should focus on India, Italy and prepare for possible attacks by Spain or the Turks.

Thank you for your time i will now return to my quarters for some food

Code:
Election 65
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. A

Last edited:
Vendramin.gif

Matteo Vendramin​

The scenario that I would like to see is keeping Austria just happy enough not to break vassalage. There is no need for making them our allies. Hopefully, sooner or later someone will attack them and finally annex them, ridding the world of the state with historical pretensions on our lands.

I for one will retain my position. An Austrian enemy could be just as expensive as an austrian ally, for our troops will have to be kept at their borders constantly, and many can be lost in wars. Also, just imagine the damage they could do if they meet us with strong allies, while we would be at war with other enemies? We could pay dearly for our wish to keep our money. Also, how expensive can keeping them in mood be annually? We won't have to send them presents every year, while benefits from them will be considerable, for this will remove the threat from Italy.

carlec said:
If we make someone our vassal, but know for certain that we cannot keep them, then that is a waste of manpower and money.

[Out of character]It is not known exactly the formulas that dictate AI diplomatic answers. However for diplo-vassalization, diplo-annexion and breaking of vassalage, the formula seems to use the same parameters, although the threshold appears to be different (it is easier to diplo-annex than to diplo-vassalize). Apparently the AI considers the difference between both economies, but factoring only tax and production, and not trade. The military power is also considered, that is why having the troops at 100% maintenance makes a small (but measurable) difference. And the difference in diplomatic skill is also considered. Although the number of provinces is not a factor, the more provinces the higher the tax income and production, and so a rule of thumb can be established. If you are five times bigger than the country that you are trying to vassalize or annex, you have a small chance of success (depending on all the factors mentioned). If you are ten times bigger your chances are then quite good.
In the case of breaking vassalage, a nation will not break it if no diplomatic initiative is taken (no attempt at annexion) and relations are above +125. It is unlikely to break it with possitive relations. The chance increases as relations plummet. At -150 to -200, a nation will always try to break vassalage five years after it was established (truce-like) using a formula like the one described above. Papal States and Bulgaria are too small, and therefore the result of the formula is too favorable to us to allow them to break vassalage. However, as an example, If Castile is played by a human, Granada will almost always break vassalage during the first 20-40 years of game.
I am not trying to influence your vote. Venice can afford any option that we choose. We can keep them happy outside of any alliance (they are forbidden from having allies), we can make them our allies, or we can let them go. Considering our reputation and their core on Istria and Tirol, we are going to lose at the very least 12 points of relationship every year. I guess we would need somewhere around 0.75 personal gifts/year given that our Doges are not that great diplomats. I don't know the cost of these, but should be between 60-150 ducats. The cost of a war where we only want some cash would be in the order of 500 ducats (our army is very expensive) and would give us 5 years of peace, but it can come and the most inconvenient time. Once we grow enough they should stop attacking, but clearly we are not there yet.
I would also take the opportunity to point to you that we might have a new enemy. We have a land border with Russia, and I believe this Zsar guy wants to establish himself in the Northern coast of the Black Sea. They are strong enough to challenge us, and this has to be factored in our decission with Austria. Pacifiying the Germans could free us against Turks, Russians and French. Seems that the list of our enemies keeps growing.

Fodoron said:
[Out of character]It is not known exactly the formulas that dictate AI diplomatic answers. However for diplo-vassalization, diplo-annexion and breaking of vassalage, the formula seems to use the same parameters, although the threshold appears to be different (it is easier to diplo-annex than to diplo-vassalize). Apparently the AI considers the difference between both economies, but factoring only tax and production, and not trade. The military power is also considered, that is why having the troops at 100% maintenance makes a small (but measurable) difference. And the difference in diplomatic skill is also considered. Although the number of provinces is not a factor, the more provinces the higher the tax income and production, and so a rule of thumb can be established. If you are five times bigger than the country that you are trying to vassalize or annex, you have a small chance of success (depending on all the factors mentioned). If you are ten times bigger your chances are then quite good.
In the case of breaking vassalage, a nation will not break it if no diplomatic initiative is taken (no attempt at annexion) and relations are above +125. It is unlikely to break it with possitive relations. The chance increases as relations plummet. At -150 to -200, a nation will always try to break vassalage five years after it was established (truce-like) using a formula like the one described above. Papal States and Bulgaria are too small, and therefore the result of the formula is too favorable to us to allow them to break vassalage. However, as an example, If Castile is played by a human, Granada will almost always break vassalage during the first 20-40 years of game.

Thanks Fodoron. Even after the years of playing, there is still so much that I have no clue about. I mean, reading Tom's AAR on his one province African minor Xhosa just blew me away. The level of knowledge was astounding. Lawkeeper was like to me also. Of course one could argue that perhaps some of us need to get out more. :) Anyway, thanks for that. I've just never had a situation where a vassal broke away from me, so I wasn't even thinking that could be an issue.

Fodoron said:
I would also take the opportunity to point to you that we might have a new enemy. We have a land border with Russia, and I believe this Zsar guy wants to establish himself in the Northern coast of the Black Sea. They are strong enough to challenge us, and this has to be factored in our decission with Austria. Pacifiying the Germans could free us against Turks, Russians and French. Seems that the list of our enemies keeps growing.

Hey, I've seen that coming--Russia. Maybe we'll see just how badly we really do want to keep Kerch. That's one of the amazing parts of this game that I really love. Even though the AI is not all that strong, it still really forces you to make decisions. I mean, we'd just as soon be left alone so we could blissfully colonize India or pick our spots. And, just as soon as we dump (probably) one enemy (OE) we get a new one, a stronger one (Austria). We try to deal with them without actually taking German land, but at the same time, its expensive. Then, all one its own, way away from us, comes the specter of a new enemy--Russia. I doubt we can count on Poland or Sweden to keep them busy, but you never know. But it all really forces you into good long range, critical thinking. This is, of course, why I use this game in my Western Civ class.

OK, well enough educating Carl on how the game works---back to the theater. :p

Election 65.
1. Yes
2. Yes (changed)
3. No
4. A

Senators,
I have reassessed my vote on Austria. It's decided we are not interested in German land, but want a peaceful northern border. So it should be in our interest to get that for as low cost as possible, otherwise we wouldn't be Venetians. Allying with Austria would force us into their wars, and that's a costly business even if we don't fight. Our reputation will suffer from it, and trade will be hurt. Better to fund them. That will also make sure they remain our only northern neighbour.

Cataldo Barbarigo

Dear senators,

I kindly remind you for future elections that if you change your vote, you do it in the original ballot, to make my life easier.

These are the results of our current elections:

Election 64. 1599-1609 International Situation
1. Dear Friends. Jerusalem (6/6 votes), Parma (6/6 votes), Savoy (5/6 votes), Austria (4/6 votes)
2. Friends (with carry over from 1). Bulgaria (5/6 votes), Spain (5/6 votes), Bosnia (4/6 votes)
3. Adversaries (with carry over from 4). Ottoman empire (4/6 votes)
4. Enemies. Indians (4/6 votes)
5. Warmonger clause. Tied, 3 votes each. This opens the possibility to a Dogal decision.

Election 65. Venice new vassals
1. Annex Parma in 10 years (6/6 votes)
2. Keep Austria a happy vassal (4/6 votes)
3. Do not make Austria our ally (4/6 votes)
4. If they break vassalage, go to war and re-vassalize (5/6 votes)

Election 66. 1599-1619 Domestic policies
1599. Decrease in Mercantilism (4/6 votes)
1609. Increase in Centralization (3/6 votes and precedence)
1619. Decrease in Innovativeness (3/6 votes)

Election 67. Economic Priorities and Research
1. Minting at 30%
2. Military research (Land + Naval) at 35%. Economical research at 35%
3. Land military research at 20%. Naval research at 15%
4. Our priorities regarding investments are:
  • A- Construction of a manufactory (refinery)
  • B- Religious conversions
  • E- Diplomatic gifts
  • D- Rebuilding of the high seas fleet
  • C- Defensive fortress in Tirol
  • F- Buying of maps

Barbarigo.gif

Cataldo Barbarigo​

My Doge, fellow Senators,
I have been studiying our archives, a dusty place indeed. My eyes fell on the documents stored on the shelves from 1579, just before the war with Austria where their attack was justly punishhed by ceding of the Tyrol goldmines to our Republic. Niccolò Da Ponte was our doge back then, as we all remember. The outcome of the economical decision was then as follows:

Election 61. Economic Priorities and Research
  • B- Conversion of Kaffa
  • D- Colonization of Kerala
  • C- Conversion of Cataract
  • A- Construction of a manufactory (refinery)
  • G- Rebuilding of the high seas fleet
  • E- Colonization of Louga
  • F- Defensive fortress in Tirol
  • H- Buying of maps of Asia from some Indian principality
I think the conversions have been tried, and Smyrna was much more favorable to convert. The decision from that election was followed so far. But then, as we have read in the reports, we never built that manufactory, even if we had the ecomomical resourses to do so at the end of the period. Louga was colonised instead, and is now the southernmost located city in the Republic.
My question is then, will we now build two manufactories, with the one due from the last plan? I fear corruption and bureaucracy stopped the dear senator Cornaro from getting the long promised refinary to Cyprus! It's been justly decided so for some time, and the manufactory voted on in election 67 must be another! The senate have decided on two manufactories!

Last edited:
Cornaro_G.gif

As always Senator Barbarigo is focused and wise.

Norrefeldt said:

My Doge, fellow Senators,
I have been studiying our archives, a dusty place indeed. My eyes fell on the documents stored on the shelves from 1579, just before the war with Austria where their attack was justly punishhed by ceding of the Tyrol goldmines to our Republic. Niccolò Da Ponte was our doge back then, as we all remember. The outcome of the economical decision was then as follows:

Election 61. Economic Priorities and Research
B- Conversion of Kaffa
D- Colonization of Kerala
C- Conversion of Cataract
A- Construction of a manufactory (refinery)
G- Rebuilding of the high seas fleet
E- Colonization of Louga
F- Defensive fortress in Tirol
H- Buying of maps of Asia from some Indian principality
I think the conversions have been tried, and Smyrna was much more favorable to convert. The decision from that election was followed so far. But then, as we have read in the reports, we never built that manufactory, even if we had the ecomomical resourses to do so at the end of the period. Louga was colonised instead, and is now the southernmost located city in the Republic.
My question is then, will we now build two manufactories, the one due from the last plan? I fear corruption and bureaucracy stopped the dear senator Cornaro from getting the long promised refinary to Cyprus! It's been justly decided so for some time, and the manufactory voted on in election 67 must be another! The senate have decided on two manufactories!

Hear, hear---note also that the decision to rebuild our great fleet was ALSO supposed to be BEFORE the colonization of Louga. While I agree that religious conversions are a powerful weapon in our economic arsenal, not only should we obey the 1579 decision about building a refinery immediately, we should remember our history and rebuild the fleet.

What history you ask? The history of most great civilizations that fail to keep their defensive military in top position. While it is hoped that we face no war that involves navies, who is to say when we find ourselves in a bitter contest with an enemy with a navy. And at that time, we will be sorely pressed if our fleet continues to languish.

I know, I know--I can hear some who might wonder why we would put money to a military that we hope to never use. I can promise you that if we DO NOT maintain our lifeline, the pride of our Republic, if we allow our ships to fall into disrepair and if we fail to rebuild ships lost in long ago naval encounters, THEN we WILL find ourselves needing that very military. It will be at that very moment that our enemies WILL strike, finding us arrogant and bloated with excess and with our military in disarray.

This, Doge, requires no new vote. We have voted in 1579 and most of the senators present now were present then. Let us fulfill that voted decision BEFORE we move on this new election.

1. Refinery in Cyprus (finally, and after all we have done for the Republic):p
2. Rebuild our naval fleet
3. Manu/refinery somewhere
4. conversions
5. Diplomatic gifts

Esteemed Senators Cataldo Barbarigo and Brynano Cornaro,

You are surely not blaming me for the inefficiencies of past administrations, that if I may remind the Consiglio, belonged to the Blue Party. My secretaries have been bussy these last festivities digging over past projects to build infrastructures. Approved but never implemented. The only explanation that I can offer is the following:
Over the past thirty years, we have been involved in the following wars:
  • 1569-1572 Offensive war against Ottoman Empire, Mughal Empire, Crimea, Qazaq Horde, Cologne and Yemen
  • 1571-1574 Defensive war against Austria, Bavaria, Berg and Netherlands
  • 1580-1582 Defensive war against Austria, Bavaria, Berg, Cleves and Dauphiné
  • 1585-1589 Defensive war against Ottoman Empire
  • 1594-1598 Defensive war against Austria, Bavaria and Dauphiné
So out of the past 30 years, we have been at war during 19 of them, and only 11 at peace, and we have fought against 12 nations. Since we expend two thirds of our time giving priority to our military expenditures, it is not wonder that approved economical expenses have not been implemented. We need not look at corruption and inefficiencies, but simply at a country stretched to her limit by the god Mars.
But the Turks are still licking their wounds, and the Emperor of the Germans will not dare to declare war to his overlords. If the Tsar of the Russians and the King of the French leave us alone, we will enjoy a good economical environment, where those refineries can be built, where new warships can be produced in the Arsenal, and even where Chief Judges can be appointed in populous provinces, as it was also approved a long time ago.

If the Signoria likes to ask the Consiglio the same things over and over, it is because the situation changes over time, and if our need for maps put as at the brink of war against Portugal once, it seems to be no longer such an urgent need, with the discovery of India, through Ottoman maps.

Doge Marino Grimani

dogalshield.png
Senators of the noble Consiglio,

The approval of a generous budget in past elections, and a peaceful international environment, has made wonders with our economy. Venice is not only the richest nation, with the most efficient trade and infrastructure, but it is so by a wide margin. Our monthly budget has surpassed the amount of 200[,000] ducats recently. We are the admiration and envy of the rest of the nations. We are also on par with the most advanced nations in military technology, both in land and naval. So lets review the period from economical and social points of view:

Stability:
A boundary dispute with Bayreuth allowed us to increase our stability for the amazing price of 150[,000] ducats, we jumped at the opportunity, specially since we do not share borders with Bayreuth.

1599.jpg

The policies implemented produced a better result than expected, when the citizens recognized our good government policies, increasing our stability, and increasing our economical technology advance by the equivalent of two years.

1600.jpg

Religion:
I have great news to report in this front. The citizens of Kaffa have finally been convinced to abandon their heretic ways, and embrace the Catholic faith. The new Catholics have been rewarded with a Tax collector, increasing our income from that province.

1602.jpg

New conversion attempts are being funded in Cataract and Nile, where chances of success are not totally ridiculous, around 25%. For the moment their only effect has been to produce Religious turmoil in Nile. Fortunately Colonel Seboden was stationed at Nile, and was able to defeat the Muslim hordes at the cost of 3,000 Venetian lives. It shows why it is important to convert those Muslims.

1603.jpg

Military:
To discourage new attacks from our neighbours, we are at full support limit, and the garrison in Kaffa was beefed up. We have built some artillery, but not nearly enough to what we are going to need in the future. Our current support limit is 126,000, with 27,000 of them coming from trade, and thus depending on trading conditions that can worsen during bad periods. Our manpower is adequate, at 66,000 men, allowing us to recruit 32,000 new soldiers every year. Enough to face any nation, just not all of them at the same time.

Our fleet is terribly old, composed mainly by old fashioned galleys, good only for local patrolling. We had only 26 warships at the start of the period. If we enter into a war with a maritime power (Portugal, Spain, Netherlands or England) we will be in a terrible problem. I estimate current defensive needs in around 80 warships for a Republic that prides herself in being the wife of the Sea. Due to our precedence to other investments, essentially conversions, gifts and manufactories, I have only been able to order the construction of 11 new warships, five of them for the Red Sea squadron.

Our naval technology has increased to level 16, allowing the construction of Naval equipment manufactories. We are close behind the leading naval nations of the world, England and Portugal.

Trade:
Our stability and trade efficiency allowed us to reach our maximum trade income, with 25% representation in all centers of trade, with the exception of Liguria, and Flanders, where we are banned. To increase our number of merchants, we need to go to war against Genoa or Burgundy, or to discover new markets.

A new refinery was built in Cyprus. It increases our trade efficiency by 1% and allows our trade research to advance faster. We have now 4 of them, but a merchant nation like ours, could benefit from having more. We are flooded with petitions of trade agreements by nations all over the world. I remind the Consiglio that we only have a trade agreement with Portugal. Since they only cost a -1% trade efficiency, perhaps it would be wise to enter them with nations that control over 1% of the world's trade.

In 1599 we decrease our Mercantilistic domestic policies to a value of 7 over ten. Two years later, we were informed by our local merchants that Foreign trade competition was on the rise. They requested a reversal of that previous decision of the Consiglio. But the Signoria instead decided to deny any new tariff, decreasing further our Mercantilism, even though the merchants retaliated by reducing their trade investment in 500[,000] ducats.

1601.jpg

Infrastructure:
We have reached Infrastructure level 7, turning our investment to Trade, where we no longer suffer an ahead of time penalty. We have also used spare funds to appoint Chief Judges in Romagna, Firenze, Siena and March, as it was approved a long time ago. Besides increasing our income, they will contribute to the stability of the region, allowing us to station all our troops North of the Po river.

The cessation of Church functions to the Nobility was rejected. Apparently the Pope is unhappy with the many decisions we are taking regarding the Church. Venice was becoming a city of churches and convents, and the Signoria has decided that the Nobility cannot leave their properties in Venice to the Church in their testaments. Pope Clement VIII, despite his personal friendship with me from the times I was ambassador at the Holy See, and his presents to my wife during her crowning as Dogaressa, seems to have cooled a lot in his relationship with Venice. I would not be surprised if some problem was brewing in Rome. Time will say for sure.

1602c.jpg

I urge our current ambassador at Rome to keep his eyes and ears open. The Church has not taken very well her lost of influence, not only over Protestant countries, but also over Catholic ones.

Diplomacy:
This has been a very active front in our policies this period, to the point that we are totally out of diplomats. It was considered crucial to end the period with positive relations with Austria, to maintain their vassalage to us and prevent new hostilities between two countries that are destined to coexist.

After expending 461[,000] ducats and 11 diplomats, we have achieved reasonably good relations with Austria (+123). Some senators are whispering that the next time it will be cheaper to lose the war. But the cost and number of diplomats will probably decrease to one third of that for the next periods, perhaps even less. But if war is expensive, peace is priceless, as someone once said.

We have also improved relationships with Savoy, Jerusalem and Parma. Ranuccio I of Parma accepted to enter a defensive alliance with Venice. The Signoria is planning to depose this puppet ruler over the next period, and rule Emilia directly, if peaceful conditions are prevalent again. Of course we will need to compensate our current allies, but our goal of uniting all Italians will be closer, with only Genoa and Spain in the hit list.

There is no more really to our diplomacy. The world has been unusually quiet these past five years. Except in the Balkans of course, where either Wallachia, or Transylvania, or both are always at war. Currently Poland is teaching the Vlachs some manners. Serbia has rebelled successfully, and we will soon have a new neighboring Balkan estate. We are trying to be friendly with these atomized region, without wasting money on states that may not be alive by tomorrow. Our vassal Bulgaria seems to be more pacific, as it is Bosnia for the moment. Hungary seems to be frightened by her tough aggressive little neighbors and keeps to herself.

Despite having "carte blanche" by a Consiglio undecided about war or peace. A Doge of the Golden Party like myself, is bound to hesitate before declaring war. Our casus belli against Mysore was considered. But that tiny Indian sultanate had 47,000 soldiers in a mountainous province, and being a vassal to Vijayanagar, we could only win some maps and a few ducats from them. So the Signoria decided not to declare war, as they would be very expensive maps, and rather wait for a good reason to go to war. Genoa was not even considered. As it is a vassal of Spain, we could only gain Corsica at a terrible price, since the island is terribly well defended. The possibility of going to war only to lift their trade ban was also dismissed by the Signoria.

Your Doge

Grimani2.gif
Marino Grimani, LXXXIX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1603.
89.jpg

1599-1603 Account:

Year 1599
New investment policies implemented
-Recruited 6000 inf. for 102D in Kaffa (in 3 times)
-Mercatilism -1 (now 7) Stability dropped by -1 to +1
-Built tax collector in Smyrna for 51D
-Built 1 warship in Nile for 43D
-Built 1 warship in Veneto for 43D
Boundary dispute with Bayreuth happened to us. We settled, relations +25, stab +1, -150D (vs. 120 month CB, relations -100, stab -2)

Important international events nearby

Our diplomacy
We invited Parma to our alliance, they accepted
-Sent 46D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +16 to -133

Year 1600
-Built refinery in Cyprus for 1188D
-Recruited 3000 inf. for 51D in Veneto
Good Government policies happened to us. Stab +1, Infra +1000, Trade +1000

Our diplomacy
-Sent 46D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +0 to -133
-Sent 53D personal gift to Jerusalem, relations improved by +11 to +147
-Sent 37D personal gift to Savoy, relations improved by +36 to +94

Year 1601
-Sent missionary to Cataract for 241D (27% chance)
-Sent missionary to Nile for 311D (26% chance)
Foreign trade competition rises happened to us. We denied new tariff, Mercantilism -1, trade -500 (vs. Mercantilism +1)
-Built 1 transport in Nile for 12D

Our diplomacy
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +37 to -96
-Sent 37D personal gift to Savoy, relations improved by +14 to +105
-Sent 53D personal gift to Jerusalem, relations improved by +8 to +151

Year 1602
-Built 20 cannons for 48D in Veneto
-Built Chief Judge in Romagna for 103D
Inquisition succesful in Kaffa
-Built Tax colector in Kaffa for 51D
Cessation of Church functions to Nobility happened to us. We declined, -5 VP (vs. Tax value in Tirol -1, +100D)

Our diplomacy
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +14 to -82
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +39 to -43
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +23 to -20

Year 1603
-Built 2 warships in Nile for 86D
-Built 3 warships in Veneto for 129D
-Built Chief Judge in Firenze for 103D
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 34D in Ragusa
-Built Chief Judge in Siena for 103D
Religious turnmoil happened to us. Two revolts in Nile
We reached Naval level 16 (Naval equipment manus)
-Built Chief Judge in Marche for 103D
We reached Infrastructure level 7 (no bonus) Investment shifted to trade

Our diplomacy
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +38 to +18
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +15 to +32
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +3 to +34
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +27 to +59
-Sent 41D personal gift to Austria, relations improved by +65 to +123