• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cornaro_G.gif

Well said Senator Lando--we are not that weak. But is this the right moment. Frustration is that we have no good choice. I do not think we will have this mythical 5 years in which to rebuild and then DoW Austria at our leisure to get our land back (and remember that will hurt our reputation more unless it is a core). As long as we have the turk near us (and now we have 3 areas with connection to them, they will come back till they are beaten down. This was why I urged us to both keep buying off the Austrians and keep troops near the border.

But, the past is past. . .

Well, whatever happens with Austria, do not give them land! Remember, we have long ago decided to stay out of European issues. Wise Senator Barbarigo convinced my father about the need and thrill of Alexandria and now we have it. And we have the chance of providing a secure base in India itself. Let us not fritter away our manpower and money in a series of endless wars with the Germans.

Election 54
1. A BUT ONLY GIVE MONEY. If this is not possible because Fodoroni believes we can not reach that conclusion, then
B! Remember, I am basing this opinion on the belief that soon we will face new wars with the Ottomans. Were that not true, then perhaps I would think differently, but these are our days of decision and we cannot go back and change our history. I know it will be costly, but I would rather die quickly on the field of battle than ever surrender our core national provinces!

2. B--yes
B.1--if we are taking peace offers from them to end the war, then we should only accept money, not land!

Election 55
2. If at all possible!

Last edited:
Fellow Senators,

Fodoroni tells us our people our restive, and the risk of revolt high. That is why I wish to postpone the issue. I agree, give up no land. But if we can buy the Austrians off, we will have 4+ years before either they or the Turk attack. By that time, if we mint up to 25%, and invest the rest in land tech, we should be well nigh unbeatable. Then, let them attack; I would love to take their provinces at 1 BB per. If they do not attack, the Austrians embargo us, so we can declare war at will, and vassalize them, for only 1 BB in total cost.

Election 54
1. B
2. A. No. B. Yes. C. Yes. D. Yes. E. Yes.

Election 55

Respectfully,

Ernesto Gandolfi III

Vendramin.gif

Matteo Vendramin​

Doge and Senators,

These are troubled times, and we must keep clear heads to the best of our abilities, take our chances where fortunes are favourable, and bow to inevitable where not. We are weakend, that we must admit, and movements are brewing among our peoples, preaching against war, threatening to rebel openly. We must not lock ourselves in our ivory towers, but listen to rumours that spread among our people. We are not yet forced to our knees, however, so we should not surrender unconditionally while we have means untried to turn the tides of war.

Code:
[b][color=Brown]Election 54. 1563 war against Austria[/color][/b]

1. Our attitude over the war.

B. We are not that weak. Lets fight them back to a draw or accept paying money in the worst case. 
They must learn to respect our borders.

We should try to make peace quickly. Preferably by defeating Austrians, and even taking Tyrol from them, if that can be accomplished within about a year. Let us see first if the troops brought from Africa are victorious, and only then decide upon our further actions.

Code:
2. Our negotiating room..

A. We should offer them one province (core) to stop the war as soon as possible. 
    [b]Yes[/b], if all other hope for quick finish of the war is lost.

B. We should offer them money to stop the war, but not land. 
    [b]Yes[/b], unless situation gets really desperate.

C. We should ask them for one province at reduced reputation loss. Name it.
    [b]Yes, Tyrol[/b], if it doesn't take much more than a year.

D. Take as many provinces as possible at reduced reputation loss as long as they are Catholic. 
    [b]No[/b], the war would last too long, and our reputation is already low.

E. Vassalize them, and they will pay for the rebuilding over the years with their taxes. 
    [b]No[/b], unless it's done within a year.

Code:
[b][color=Indigo]Election 55. Colonization of Kerala[/color][/b]

2. Build a few ships in Nile, send some soldiers and replace the TP by a colony keeping the natives alive

This is what we fought the Ottomans for. Let us seize the reaches of the East for ourselves.

Barbarigo.gif
Aureo Barbarigo​

Code:
Election 54.
1. C
	A. No
	B. Yes
	C. Yes (Tyrol)
	D. No
	E. No
I think we have the chance to get the gold mines of Tyrol. It's a defensive war so our reputation will suffer less. But I don't close the door to negotiations if it shold prove to difficult or costly. For every year we fight, there's a chance that some other enemy attack. (Make sure to get RMs.) So, we can only spend a few years in this war. We need one year of peace before the truce with the Ottomans end, to remove war exhaustion.
Code:
Election 55. (Kerala)

Send and army, and try to incorporate the natives. Try fighting the natives with that army before sending expensive colonists, to make sure it's big enough for an easy victory, since they WILL rebel.

Honourable Doge, noble Senators,

here is my vote on the grave matters that lie ahead.
Unfortunately, I have no time to comment on my decision, as I have to look for my son Rafael Trevisan, who the last I heard was busy at our trade business in Milano.

Code:
[b][color=Brown]Election 54. 1563 war against Austria[/color][/b]

A. We are too weak at this moment. Make peace as soon as possible. Only give them money, no provinces, if not possible then B

2. Our negotiating room:
A. No
B. Yes
C. No
D. No
E. Yes, if the war takes a totally unexpected turn and we are able to do so in maximum three years.

Code:
[b][color=Indigo]Election 55. Colonization of Kerala[/color][/b]

2. This is what we fought for in Egypt!

In deep concern for the fate of our Republic,
Senator Manolo Trevisan

Honorable Senators,

I must ask forgiveness for my family's absence from the recent proceedings. My fathers illness has not declined and we were instructed to seek sanctuary for him in a cooler climate. As they are well I have returned to help with the matters at hand.

Election 54. 1563 war against Austria

B. We are not that weak. Lets fight them back to a draw or accept paying money in the worst case. They must learn to respect our borders.

2. Our negotiating room. Answer yes or not to all.

A. no
B. yes
C. yes, tyrol
D. no
E. no

Election 55. Colonization of Kerala

2. Build a few ships in Nile, send some soldiers and replace the TP by a colony keeping the natives alive

I believe that the conflict with Austria could drag out. If we are in a position to force demands, such as taking the province of Tyrol, the we should. But if that is not done quickly we should look to other means of ending the conflict.

Respectfully,
Senator Enrico Contarini

OOC: I hope that is ok... I am really excited about joining this... It looks like a blast.

sw_myers said:
OOC: I hope that is ok... I am really excited about joining this... It looks like a blast.

TOTALLY!! The more senators we have, the better it gets, with different views, ideas and suggestions! Yay!

Cornaro_G.gif

Welcome Senator Contarini, my father spoke of your family with honor and I believe that our families have enjoyed strong trade together. It is wonderful to have you here for this important vote. I see you have voted well (haha, at least from my perspective). I wish you long health and much enjoyment in your life and within the Senate!

Last edited:
The Maggior Consiglio has reached an agreement regarding the war with Austria and our colonization of Kerala in India. Eight senators have attended the meetings despite the inclement unseasonal heat that we suffer. We thank them for their civic responsability.

Regarding Election 54. 1563 war against Austria, the Senators have decided:

1B. (5/8 votes) We are not that weak. Lets fight them back to a draw or accept paying money in the worst case. They must learn to respect our borders.

2. Regarding our negotiating room, the senators have decided:

A. No land will be offered to them (7/8 votes).

B. It is acceptable to offer them money (8/8 votes).

C. If we do well in the war, we should ask them for a province (5/8 votes). That province should be Tirol (4 votes)

D. Even if we crush them, we do not want more than one province (7/8 votes).

E. We should not seek to vassalize them (5/8 votes).

Fodoroni has been instructed to make a special effort to conquer Tirol. Several senators have made special requests to keep the war as short as possible. Most senators probably agree with this condition, and your Doge certainly has that consideration in mind.

Regarding Election 55. Colonization of Kerala, the senators are unanimous (8/8 votes) that

2. We should build a few ships in Nile, send some soldiers and replace the TP by a colony keeping the natives alive.

I am eager for this contest!

[ooc]--in other 2005 words--let's get it on! :cool:

contarini.gif

Thank you, Senator Meryoni Cornaro, for your kind words regarding my family.

Senators,
I pray that the conflict with the Austrians ends soon. I believe we have greater issues to deal with than conflicts with the germans to the north. Namely the possibility of a spirling set of wars that could be thrust upon us by those who hate Venice. I believe it is in our best interests to come to a swift conclusion to the current conflict and then devote our energies to calming the minds of our neighboring rulers.

While I do not fear war, I do fear the effects of a series of conflicts that may span decades. I say calm the fears of some of our european neighbors and let us focus on the ungodly threat to the east.

Thank you.

Senator Enrico Contarini

dogalshield.png
Noble senators of this Consiglio,

The German armies are being kept away from our beloved city by the supreme effort of our brave soldiers. Read Fodoroni reports to know the situation.

We received a pretender to the throne of Genoa while at war with Austria. Against our usual policy in these cases, we supported his claim. This gave us a useless casus belli against Genoa for five years, since we have permanent casus belli already. It also damaged our relationship with Mysore (-100), neighbour of our new trading post in Kerala, but it also gave us 5,000 infantry and 2,000 cavalry for the war at the cheap price of 50[,000] ducats. It would have cost us 140[,000] to recruit them ourselves. But since it happened in the midst of the war, our bussy scribes forgot to register the event.

Your Doge

Priuli2.gif
Girolamo Priule, LXXXIII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1564. [No pic available]​

Last edited:
dogalshield.png
Senators,

Rejoice with me and praise the Lord. Once more the armies of Venice have defeated our enemies. The imperials have been repelled. However the state of emergency will be maintained. We cannot allow to be at war again in 5 years against militarily superior Austria or Ottoman Empire. We will continue investing heavily in Land military technology until we reach level 14, returning then to the agreed priorities for peaceful times.

1565c.jpg

I want to thank those of you that have contributed to the rebuilding of our nation, by donating part of your riches to the state. The money has been well used. We are naming governors in the Egyptian provinces, improving our relations with our ally, the Duke of Theodoros, and building a small fleet in the Red sea.

1566.jpg

I just received news from our ambassador at Kaffa, that the Duke of Theodoros, impressed by the courage of Arturo Gandolfi and Usually_Insane in fighting the Crimean hordes in our past war, has requested stronger ties with the Republic of Venice. Apparently he does not feel safe with those neighbours, and this could be the first step before requesting formal incorporation into the Serenissima Repubblica. For the time being he is going to pay us a symbolic amount in exchange for our military protection.

1567.jpg

The military fame of our nation is growing. The defeat of the Emperor at our hands is very commented all over Europe. An Englishman has come to our presence offering his services as military advisor. He is expensive but comes highly recommended. Fodoroni spoke in favor of hiring him. He has already argued that he would pay for himself in half the time in military research alone, but that is only true if yours faithful lives that long. It is a matter of which I rather not speak, but the tribulations for the wars of the past may very well have shortened my life. In any case our troops need as much quality as they can get, given their poor performance in open combat.

1567b.jpg

It saddens me to see that there are people capable of commiting treason against their own country, but when a high born, educated noble that owes everything he has to his country commits treason, there is no possible forgiveness. A noble with extensive states in Morea was in contact with the Ottomans. He has been beheaded and his states left in the hands of his heirs. Why does it always happens in Morea? a mountainous cul-de-sac where we placed our expensive wine factory? Bragadino is dispatched quickly to dissolve the rebels before our manufactory suffers any damage.

1568b.jpg

For a more positive note to end this meeting, I would like to show you the discoveries made from conquering the capital of the Ottoman Empire, at the beginning of my Dogeship.

Your Doge

Priuli2.gif
Girolamo Priule, LXXXIII Dux Venetiarum. Oct. 1567. [No pic available]​

Vendramin.gif

Matteo Vendramin​

Doge, I thank you for the trust you showed in giving a small troop of soldiers to my command. This was a difficult campaign, especially for one so young and inexperienced as myself. Maybe a better commander might have done more, but I judge he would be hard put to it. Anyway, I think this experience will serve me well, should you ever decide again to trust me in fighting for the cause of our noble republic. Finally, I'd like to commend my men for their bravery, and should anyone find their performance in any way wanting, the blame is entirely mine.

Cornaro_G.gif

Well done Fodoroni! Well done.

We are hosting a major party for all Senators and their families at my main estate. I hope you all will come for the celebration of the victory over our enemy!

May I hasten to add that I FULLY support your move for quality, the only natural and wise position for us seeing our other wise move to defensive! Here again we see the value of this. While it is true we faced the frustration of repeated defeats in Tyrol, being fully offensive gives NO guarantee that situation would have changed. History is replete
[ooc--and my own game playing proves out] with instances of the morally superior force STILL losing in battle, sometimes to the smaller force. But by being fully defensive we were able to capture several provinces and reclaim our own!

I also want to remind us all that the infidel still lurks on our border. Do not grow too at ease in our victory Potential war is coming. And, since we only barely beat back the Austrians, let us learn from our own history in our wars with France that they came twice and we had to take land from them (yes, something I am loathe to do with Austria).

Let us rejoice and let us continue to prepare for battle (but let us hope for peace to repair our damaged reputation and inprove our merchants' standing)!

Last edited:
Dear doge

Congratulates on the military victory. It brings me much shame that I could only participate so little, but so is life I guess, also, I got hit by a filthy German arrow in my leg, so now I walk with a cane, but it was in service of the republic, and so it does not bring me pain.
Let us hope we do not see any more war in our lifetimes all of us.

I respecticely ask of you to give us a general report on the consequences of the war, and how our neighbours are doing in Europe, and also about our holding in the east, especially Egypt. How are the revolts in Egypt? For that matter, the revolt in Genoa we were told about before, what happened with that?

//Benito Lando

A short letter signed ten days ago arrives from Aureo Barbarigo, fighting in upper Bohemia:

Doge, the situation here might not hold. My family fully support an honarable peace with Austria if it can be signed anytime soon. Until then, I shall hold fast.

PS. Postphone all parties till all senators have returned to our fair city, even those that have very distant commands. DS.

Dear friends,

I am bound to my bed and I am afraid I will not last much longer. The Lord Almighty will soon call me to His Presence to pass judgement on my acts. But before I depart, I want to manifest how lucky Venice is in having such a great group of nobles that combine political wisdom with military courage. Fate will have it that many of you might not have the chance to display your military skills, specially since I always instructed Fodoroni to make the best use of resources without paying any attention to the noble origin of the commanders at hand. Coronel HoChiMinh, your intervention was a bright point in the darkness of the first year of war, as with inferior forces, not properly trained, and crossing the river Po, you were able to lift the siege of Milan, esentially invalidating the advantage that the Emperor had gained through his treason. Senators, do not quarrel if some between you appear to be more favored by the goddess of fortune, as I am sure many wars await our Serenissima and bellissima cità. As senator Dandolo would have reminded us if he was still between us, Genoa still lives, and Genoa should be destroyed [Delenda est Genoa].

And speaking of the Genoese, they appear to not be able to handle their own businesses. Ever since we destroyed their fleet in the glorious war that gave us ownership of Kerch, 30,000 Genoese soldiers had been trapped in the island of Corsica, unable to do much good. Genoa has not bothered in building a new fleet, and so now, when their own subjects have rebelled against opression, the army cannot help their government. Curiously the siege of Genoa by 17,000 rebels appears to last forever. For years it appeared to go nowhere, and then it advanced until flames erupted from the houses inside the city, only to stop again for over one year. Perhaps in the next period we will see the fall of the Genoese government, but as they change monarchs every two years it will not affect them much.

Regarding rebels, we were very lucky that only Alexandria rebelled during our long wars. Despite having a garrison of 11,000 knights, the rebels managed to take control of the city by surprise. Fodoroni has not reported the name of the commander of the garrison, perhaps to avoid his just punishment for letting the rebels take control of the city. But the garrison soon massacred the 3,000 rebels that came out of the city, and besieged Alexandria until it was recovered. Now that warexhaustion is ended, and with full tolerance to muslims, we should not have too many rebellion problems, specially once the muslims in Egypt forget their previous life as subjects of the Ottomans. Soon we will be able to place tax collectors in Egypt, if the Senate decides to tax our new subjects. With the peace, the Egyptians are more calmed, and we have started to build a small fleet in the Red Sea. We will need to deploy at least 6,000 men to protect our trading post in India before we can send civilians to settle a colony. Otherwise we would be sending them to their deaths.

The war was undoubtly an economical burden. Our increased inflation will soon recover thanks to the work of our efficient governors. We have lost many merchants, and our trade is always a struggle. Every time we start governing the Serenissima, a string of merchants is kicked from several markets, and then we spend years recovering the previous number of merchants in centers of trade. However, as we are the richest most advanced nation by far, I don't think it has supposed much problem. Perhaps we are short in manufactories that a more peaceful enviroment would have allowed, but it is not a real problem either.

Regarding our neighbours you will soon have a full report. It has not been a specially violent period. Our alliance with Spain, Theodoros and Bulgaria will be stable for the next 10 years. Only our new vassal really apreciates us. Portugal continues going her own way. The alliance of Burgundy and France, that formerly terrorized Central Europe, is in decadence, eaten by internal problems. England continues warrying with the Celts. Continues wars take place between the Poland-Hungarian alliance and either Russia or some Northern countries, but in general they lead to little result. Savoy doesn't appear to be able to chose the right allies, and is now allied to the Huguenots and Scotland. The Pope is still quiet under our boot.

Finally, my fried Meryoni Cornaro, you will have to do in your party without my presence, as I have a more important appointment to attend. Choose wisely my substitute, as something is happening in the East. The Turks are still powerful, and their new sultan is said to be un unreliable drunkard.

Your Doge, Girolamo Priule

dogalshield.png
Senators of the Consiglio,

1567c.jpg

I present myself to those of you that might not know me. I am Pietro Loredano, your new Doge. Girolamo Priule died recently on his sleep, so his amazing military skills coming from his English advisor did not pay that much. As you can see I am an above average administrator, and a member of the Golden Party. As such I will try to develop the economy of Venice and recover our finances from the war difficulties recently endured. Do not expect much from my diplomatic skills however.

The Austrians are already at Land level 14, and the Turks at level 13 like us. Like my predecessor, I will continue investing 50% of the budget in Land military research for the couple of years that will take us to reach that important state of readiness for a nation surrounded by enemies.

Some international news are of importance to us. During the war, Burgundy embargoed us when we tried to replace a merchant lost by sending a new one. However the Franco-Burgundian alliance that so much scared Europe is showing signs of faultering. First France got wrecked by the wars of religion, and now it is the turn of Burgundy to suffer from rebellions. His northern provinces have revolted and formed a new country called Netherlands, so Flanders is no longer in the hands of Burgundy. Also Cologne independized from Burgundy, and from all the possible alliances, it came to ally with the Ottoman Empire, Mughal Empire, Crimea, Qazaq Horde and Yemen. The Netherlanders appear to be bound for trade domination, and we shall decide if we want a commercial relationship with them or not. They will clearly want to compite against us in the spice trade.

1568.jpg

Apparently the new sultan of the Ottomans, Selim II, has not learned much from his father's defeat at our hands. He has requested the surrender of Cyprus under menace of war. Actually his menaces had backfired. We were diplomatically isolated, our allies despised us, we lacked friends, but Selim's exigences have prompted Pope Pius V to form a Holy League in our defense. Spain now loves us (for free!), France no longer hates us, Savoy is our best friend, the Pope no longer excommunicates us, and even the Knights have found some appreciation for us. All of this thanks to Selim. And also now we have a casus belli against the Turks for six years.

Almost by chance, six months earlier, on the 4th of July, 1567, Kara Koyunlu had entered a military alliance with Afghanistan and Uzbek, joining also their war against Mughal Empire, Ottoman Empire, Crimea, Qazaq Horde, Cologne and Yemen. There is now a fratricidal war between the Turks of Osman and the Turks of the Black Sheep. Our reports indicate that Selim has only 60,000 troops to our 95,000, most of them in Europe, so let me know if you want something done about Selim's arrogance.

Your Doge

Loredano2.gif
Pietro Loredano, LXXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1568.
84.jpg

Last edited: