• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ya I figured translating that for most people it would be a bit*h so I put little bold translations next to all 1337 phrases :)

Dysken said:
Ya I figured translating that for most people it would be a bit*h so I put little bold translations next to all 1337 phrases :)

Well, personally I can't understand a word of 1337 and I'm familiar with many languages, even with some dead ones like Latin and Old Norse. I also can read handwriting of the medieval manuscripts and understand medieval abbreviations, but this 1337 is too much for me.

Olaus Petrus said:
Well, personally I can't understand a word of 1337 and I'm familiar with many languages, even with some dead ones like Latin and Old Norse. I also can read handwriting of the medieval manuscripts and understand medieval abbreviations, but this 1337 is too much for me.

Well the hardest part about 1337 is not the vocabulary but the alphabet which is flexible indeed.

Dysken said:
Well the hardest part about 1337 is not the vocabulary but the alphabet which is flexible indeed.

I used medival texts as comparison, because in medieval vernacular spelling wasn't standardised, so word can be written in multiple different ways. In leet there seems to be misspellings on purpose and no standard at all. Also handwritings can be as flexible as leet alphabet. So I should be able to figure out weird alphabets, but leet just gives me headache.

Olaus Petrus said:
<snip> but leet just gives me a headache.

Don't worry I'll include translations henceforth.

What on earth happened in that last screenshot?

AdmiralNelson said:
What on earth happened in that last screenshot?

Just me playing around in paint.

Now all of you head over to the Teutonic AAR. It needs readers!

Dysken said:
General: Look out sir! Spam incoming!
`/|J5|J|= VI: |)0/\/7 \/\/01212`/ 1'/\/\ 1/\/\,/\/\|J/\/3! /Dont worry I'm immune!
*King calls upon 1337 powers to withstand the spam barrage*
General: Impressive! :eek:
KJAJAJAJJA! :rofl:

Brilliant! Thoroughly enjoyed it up to now and can't wait for the next update...!

I'm curious to find out how high is your inflation and how well you are coping with it at the moment (in your peace years).

Good luck in your adventures!

The sooner this king dies the better. ;)

Yep, Congratulations Dysken!

C'mon down to the Weekly AAR Showcase and tell us about the Deconquista!

Olaus Petrus said:
I used medival texts as comparison, because in medieval vernacular spelling wasn't standardised, so word can be written in multiple different ways. In leet there seems to be misspellings on purpose and no standard at all. Also handwritings can be as flexible as leet alphabet. So I should be able to figure out weird alphabets, but leet just gives me headache.

Your comment on intentional mispellings is actually more perceptive than you might think. 'Leetspeak' evolved as a polymorphic language; it is, in my mind, somewhat of a predecessor to the CAPTCHA Turing tests used to thwart bots (the little images that you have to interpret into alphanumeric combinations when downloading from or signing up to certain websites). The purpose for a phonetic 'language' with no standard letter or spelling was that an automatic filter, which could easily target and filter/erase/censor/etc. standard written text, would fail miserably at its intended purpose when confronted with leetspeak. I presume it was meant for large forums, or perhaps forum servers, with few moderators for the amount of threads present but standardized rules not adhered to by all members. Leetspeak can be said to have been superseded by CAPTCHA images, but nobody really uses that for its intended anti-authoritarian purpose except e-mail spammers, I imagine. Personally, I can't stand the stuff.

As for your AAR, excellent work!

*King Yûsuf VI is visiting Morrocco which has recently gone through an industrialization process*
Advisor 4: So this is where all the money from the royal treasury has been going.
*Peasant walks by with his sheep, he is wearing copious amounts of bling*
`/|J5|J|= VI: \/\/0\/\/ \/\/3 4123 /\/\4|<1/\/9 5|-|17|_04|)5 0|= /\/\0/\/3`/ 0|=|= 0|= 7|-|15! |-|0\/\/ (4/\/ 7|-|47 |33? /Wow we are making shitloads of money off of this! How can that be?
Advisor 4: Sorry what? I still don't speak 1337.
*Yûsuf VI scribbles down what he said on paper and hands it to advisor 4*
Advisor 4: That didn't help...
*Yûsuf VI starts gesticulating wildy in the air, waving his hands and trying to mime what he said*
Advisor 4: Oooh, well you see sir. Some provinces produce cloth. None of ours do, however we produce wool which is used to produce cloth. So we produce cloth in these here manufactories and then export them to cloth producing provinces so they can sell it for even higher prices. That way they get all the cash and we get to do all the work.
`/|J5|J|= VI: 0|-| 1 533! /Oh I see

pic1.jpg

Advisor 4:I'm here to collect your monthly tribute to us.
Aragon King: I am the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire! I will bow to no man!
Advisor 4: No you're not, you are our vassal. Now stop goofing around and give me the money.
Holy Roman Emperor: But a couple of guys came and said they had elected me as Holy Roman Emperor.
Advisor 4: Ha...Ha... Very funny now hand over the gold.
Holy Roman Emperor:*Hands over bags filled with gold* :(

pic2.jpg

General: Now men, if you turn the spears around so you have the pointy parts towards the enemy you will find them to be twice as effective!
Soldiers: Amazing!!! :eek:

pic3.jpg

We reach a better sort of cavalry! They are twice as good but still suck!

`/|J5|J|= VI: |33(0/\/\3 /\/\`/ \/4554|_! /Become my Vassal!
/\/\4/\/\|_|J|< |<1/\/9 /Mamluk King: /\/3\/312! /Never!
`/|J5|J|= VI: \/312`/ \/\/3|_|_ |_37 |J5 ASCII |3477|_3 70 73|-| |)347|-|! /Very Well let us ASCII battle to the death!
/\/\4/\/\|_|J|< |<1/\/9: 3/\/ 9|J412|)3! /En Guarde!
`/|J5|J|= VI: *Pull sword from Scabbard* <xx||======>!
/\/\4/\/\|_|J|< |<1/\/9: <xxxx|}============> !!!
`/|J5|J|= VI: 0/\/\9 |-|4><! /Omg Hax!
*After battling for a few minutes the Mamluk kings ASCII sword destroys Yûsufs*
`/|J5|J|= VI: <xx||==[, |=|_33! /Flee!

pic4.jpg

Become my vassal damn you! Also that is one badass king!

Last edited:
rhynoclemmis said:
Is 1337 a programming language? Never heard of that!

And a vassalized nation can become HRE? That should definitely be included in the next patch....

Nope, is a crazy ... um ... language.

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Aragon, vassal to Granada and home of the HRE. Now I've seen everything.

On a sidenote: is 1337 the new aristocratic language, like Latin and later French? It seems every King suddenly speaks 1337.

I can imagine how I they learned it.

King: Drats, I can't understand a single word he says. Do we have a translator?
Advisor: I'm afraid not, sir. There are no other human beings who have mastered the secrets of 1337 yet.
King: Ah! So it's a kind of secret language. This might prove useful. I need to learn it immediately. Do you know how?
Advisor: Google it up?