• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Llywelyn said:
African swallows?

Do they migrate as far north as Italian Libya? :confused:
j.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is one of them 'serious' AARs where they hide their jokes in the footnotes. :)
Yes, but only if they have a half a coconut, which of course would be grabbed by the husk. :D

Great update Pip!
Who'd have thought. The British army getting bogged down in the desert with enough supplies to throw endless cocktail parties but no means to get from A to B.
At least the weather's good.
Considering that armoured vehicles don't seem to have come on much from WW1, perhaps a minimal amount of cash pumped into researching British 'Camelry' would be of greater use? :p

Nice to understand how you're getting your information and ideas in order to flesh out this AAR and make it as good as it is. Have you been tempted to use any of your own pictures of of military hardware in any of your future updates?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally got around to commenting this AAR. Fantastic work, El Pip. Keep it up!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Llywelyn - You found jokes? Good on you because I can't remember putting any in, unless you count the French carrier force I suppose. However it was 15 months ago I started this.... has it really been that long :eek:... so its all possible. :D

GhostWriter - Research is fine, historically the A.9 Cruiser MkI started testing in 1936, production is tricky as you have to find the budget. While the game engine may give you full IC when you declare war it seems a bit well gamey to use it all instantly.

scubadoobie2 - Frankly I'd take the Egyptian Camel Corps if was offered, more than good enough to pursue fleeing troops. However it was sadly scrapped when the army 'Mechanised' and then ran out of money to actually buy anything. :(

Inkana - The upness shall be kept with this brand new update! With maps! And huge notes under said maps! And other things that end in!

Reactions:
Chapter XXIX: Operation Templar Part I.
Chapter XXIX: Operation Templar Part I.

As the chiefs of staffs discussed the objectives given them it soon became apparent that it was the naval, not army, objectives that would be most challenging. After the First Battle of Taranto the Prima Squadra of the Regia Marina had shown no inclination towards leaving port and risking meeting Cunningham's Mediterranean Fleet. A direct attack on the port was ruled out, the Admiralty would not even contemplate risking the fleet so close to the Italian mainland. An indirect strike, by the Royal Navy's S-Class submarines, was seriously considered, however the anti-submarine defences were believed considerable and regularly tested by Italy's own well trained submarine force. The final option, an air strike on the port, was believed the most promising especially by RAF planners keen to get their service involved and planning advanced as far as assessing the possibility of operating A.W.38 Whitleys from Malta. This idea was quickly dismissed by the Fleet Air Arm the moment they heard about it, their Fairey Seal's successes with level bombing at the Battle of the Coast of Tobruk had been poor, despite the trained crews best efforts. The chance of untrained RAF crews hitting the harbour, let alone any specific ships, was therefore considered negligible. A torpedo strike with Swordfish was reluctantly dismissed due to lack of airframes, only No.825 Squadron was operational giving a grand total of twelve aircraft to strike with, far too few even with an unrealistic 100% hit rate for their torpedoes.

With a direct strike out the only option left was to lure out the Italian fleet, presenting the Italians with a situation that would demand the Prima Squadra leave port and engage the Mediterranean Fleet. Forcing such a scenario was not easy, defeated in the two major naval clashes of the war, not to mention countless convoy engagements, the Supermarina had quietly resolved to sit the rest of the war out. Justifying this inaction as 'Anti-invasion preparedness' the Prima Squadra was theoretically protecting the Italian mainland from a feared British invasion, in practice it was sitting at anchor hiding from the much feared BL 15'/42s and attached warships sitting outside Taranto Harbour. To make the Prima Squadra leave port pressure would clearly have to be applied from above, the Comando Superemo, or perhaps Il Duce himself, would have to intervene and force the Regia Marina into action. The obvious way to send suitably large shockwaves up the Italian chain of command was a breakthrough in North Africa, a shock of such proportions that the Italians would have to react. With this in mind it's clear to see why Operation Templar was delayed and re-thought.

4ccRgnC.jpg

The original plan for Operation Templar, III and IV Corps were the northern arm of the encirclement, II and V Corps the southern with the BEF as 'backstop' covering any escape routes to the east. After the encirclement II, III and V Corps would head for Tripoli while the BEF and IV Corps would close in on the surrounded 10th Army and the SETT Command.

The original plan for the operation, a twin pronged advance towards El Aghella to encircle the remains of the 10th Army then driving on towards Tripoli and the waiting 5th Army was dropped. While the advantage of defeating in detail the Italian force was obvious, it was also recognised that the methodical nature of the operation would not produce the 'shock' required to force the navy from port. A steady, but slow, advance would always enable the Supermarina to claim they should wait for the 'Critical moment' to intervene. Of course such a moment would never, in the Supermarina's opinion, appear until North Africa was almost totally lost, at which point they would refuse to save a lost cause and revert to 'anti-invasion' duty. Aside from those concerns there were tactical practicalities, the lack of fast moving pursuit units, as discussed in the previous chapter, meant closing the encirclement would be a risky proposition. While the remnants of the SETT garrison, and the Italian theatre commander Field Marshall Balbo, which had escaped from Tobruk would be easy to trap the rest of the 10th Army reforming around Msus was much further east and in far better shape. If they worked out what was happening they could reach El Aghella first, preventing the pocket from closing until heavy units could be brought up to dislodge them. It was in fact a suggestion to overcome that very problem, an idea to land a force at El Aghella, that provided the impetus for the revised operation; Templar would an amphibious operation on a scale not seen since the Gallipoli campaign.

The basic strategic premise of the revised plan was to present the Comando Supremo with a situation where they could lose effective control of North Africa within days not weeks. By taking all the key ports in one fell swoop the Italian's would lose not only their main supply depots but also the ability to reinforce or resupply the forces on the ground. There was also the prestige loss which, it was believed, would be even more decisive in forcing Mussolini to intervene. For this ambitious plan the force guarding the Suez, VI Corps under Lieutenant General Auchinleck, was assigned to Gort it's place being taken by the last reinforcements to arrive from India. VI Corps had arrived at the same time as the rest of the first wave from India but had been slated as replacements for II (Middle East) Corps on garrison duty freeing up the experienced desert units for Operation Vulcan. The time spent in the Sinai had not been wasted, VI Corps had been undergoing intensive training to bring units more used to colonial warfare up to speed with those arts of war they hadn't needed in India. While far from trained in amphibious landings VI Corps was at least up to date and practised with the drills, more than could be said of the other Indian units in the theatre. With the two landing units identified the planners turned to the main weakness identified in Operation Vulcan; the lack of follow up plans.

beRvp9O.jpg

The revised plan, VI Corps and the BEF were to make simultaneous landings at Tripoli and Benghazi respectively. Meanwhile III and IV Corps were to encircle the SETT Command and II and V Corps, with MACFORCE in the van, were to seize El Aghella. The second stage called for VI Corps to take Homs and V Corps to take Sitre while the 10th Army was dealt with by the forces around Msus. The third stage were the contingency plans, III Corps after its arrival in Benghazi was to be embarked on transports to land where needed and II Corps was to be the reserve for dealing with the 10th Army.

British Great War experience had produced a pool of general staffers unused to breakthroughs or the need to rapidly react to changing situations and exploit advantages. This lack of practice had been compounded by years of colonial policing and anti-insurgency campaigns with only a single stronghold to overwhelm, the dearth of large scale live fire exercises had not helped either. Thus the IGS and Gort's planing staff were faced with a breakthrough after Vulcan and weren't quite sure what to do with it, there were no dedicated pursuit units and an ordered advance by infantry would always be slower than panicked flight. By the time the news had worked it's way up, been assessed and plans filtered back down much of the advantage had been squandered, a plan for breakthroughs which allowed for the lack of cavalry type units was clearly needed. It was therefore resolved that Templar would have contingency plans, not just for failure but in case of success.

--
So huge footnotes with the maps? Where they in fact just stating the obvious or would people like more of them. In any case

Up Next; Part II to the great surprise of probably no-one. Battles at land and, I know this is a favourite, sea.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
W00t. Sweet, sugary update.

Reactions:
Map 2 is missing - it's a repeat of Map 1

• 1Like
Reactions:
Derek Pullem said:
Map 2 is missing - it's a repeat of Map 1

Tits.

All fixed now though.

Reactions:
If you keep doing this good a job talking through the strategy and (tactical and political) rationales, people will soon start liking your land campaigns almost as well. :D

In answer to your question, my thought: as long as it doesn't take you too long to do them, the maps are better with the captions. If it's clear, us readers can ignore or skim them; and if there's something we're curious about, it's there for us.

j.

Reactions:
I agree. Maps with captions are lovely provided they don't prove a bother to you. I'd rather have a text-only post than no post.

Vann

• 1Like
Reactions:
I love the large map footnotes. Can we get an OOB for each corps? Am I wrong in assuming that each consists of 2-3 1918 and 1936 INF?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like the footnotes, and your plan looks very good. Italy will fall within a week of the plan for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions:
El Pip said:

Hmm, nice but I don't know how you'd tie them in to the storyline! :D

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Duritz said:
Hmm, nice but I don't know how you'd tie them in to the storyline! :D

A buxom young lass from the SOE with an underwear allergy leading to a tragic over-exertion of Mussolini's heart?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
El Pip said:
A buxom young lass from the SOE with an underwear allergy leading to a tragic over-exertion of Mussolini's heart?

By Jove, I think he's got it!
j.

Reactions:
A very liberal distribution of photographs and an excellent use of crayons from briefly scanning the updates.

And as you have provided a helpful index, I am sure you'll provide me with a few days so that I can read through the narrative so far. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ahem *embarrassed cough*

Whilst writing the next update a minor issue has arisen; I accidentally jumped a month back in XXVII. Should have been February not March. It appears its not just GeneralHannibal who loses track of dates. All changed now though. :)

Nevertheless in good news; the next update is almost done! And in true Butterfly Effect style the 'Up Next' trailer from the previous update is completely wrong as a short paragraph grew to become a whole update. Somethings clearly will never change.

Sir Humphrey - You've dropped into l33t. This is either a very good or very bad sign. Naturally I'm assuming the former not the later.

Derek Pullem - Equally the complete absence of comment on the AAR beyond spotting my mistakes could be good or bad. Or perhaps your dark heart is just full of neutrality on this issue?

Llywelyn - Then you may well like this next update for it contains much planning, machination and reason-why-stuff-happens (Note to self; Find a single word for that last one)

Vann the Red - Ironically the captions were a time saver so I didn't have to re-write the update to explain the maps. I believe they will now stay and appear as needed. :)

Fulcrumvale - OOB could be arranged between now and the next update, but its all '36 INF lacking as Britain does anything except that (East African millita not withstanding)

GeneralHannibal - You've seen the British plan, but what of the cunning Italian counter-plan? Well I say cunning, you probably couldn't brush your teeth with it, but its not bad. ;)

Duritz - Every good story has them in it, its just not always obvious. :D

Allenby - Everytime someone says there going to start a the beginning I'm overcome with an almost overwhelming desire to go back and re-write the opening chapters. However they're probably not that bad just a different 'more pictures, less text' style.

Reactions:
El Pip said:
Derek Pullem - Equally the complete absence of comment on the AAR beyond spotting my mistakes could be good or bad. Or perhaps your dark heart is just full of neutrality on this issue?

Gosh - unusual response :confused:

I like the premise of the AAR and eagerly await how the game develops. I've tried an "early war" scenario before but it usually just triggers German intervention at some point. An Anglo-Italian war is interesting not in the result as it's almost a foregone conclusion but in the aftermath.

What happens in Spain for example? Will Fascism survive in Italy? Will the Empire be regarded as a strong friend or a dangerous war monger by the Americans and French?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Derek Pullem said:
Gosh - unusual response :confused:
Well in fairness I was fairly confused too. I wasn't sure the lack of any other comment beyond spotting the wrong picture (cheers for that) was good or bad. As for the last part, well I'd just watched the Futurama episode with the neutral planet, if you've seen that one the line makes sense if you haven't it wont.

Derek Pullem said:
I like the premise of the AAR and eagerly await how the game develops. I've tried an "early war" scenario before but it usually just triggers German intervention at some point. An Anglo-Italian war is interesting not in the result as it's almost a foregone conclusion but in the aftermath.

What happens in Spain for example? Will Fascism survive in Italy? Will the Empire be regarded as a strong friend or a dangerous war monger by the Americans and French?
Early war has been avoided thus far because Italy is the agressor helping to through the usual AI responses some what.

The aftermath will indeed be interesting, quite aside from the points you've mentioned there is the fate of Austria to consider with her post-war protector gone and the effect on the Balkans. Arab nationalism can't ignore the war either, seeing how much force the British can muster when they need to is going to cool some heads in Palestine. Many questions indeed. :cool:

Reactions: