• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahhh... The one thing I'd love to be able to do in CK2: Mass murder, razing cities to the ground etc. Seriously. having played as an English character and having been raided by the damnable, seemingly endless hordes of Norse every three days for a century, nothing would please me more than to load up my retinue and go re-enact Carthage on their helmeted arses. But I can't. All I'll accomplish is kill off their levies, which will be replaced by their endless fountain of raiders before I'm done loading my troops back on the ships, so why bother? Sigh.

How do you think those conquered 'Norse' provinces become 'English'?
Trust me, it's not by mutual understanding and cultural exchange. ;)

But I agree that the ability to 'counter-raid' would be cool.
Maybe even give a character modifier that discourages Vikings from raiding you.

It's just not the same scale. In vicky 2, I can enslave million of people and kill hundred of thousands of people that just want freedom, or being able to vote.

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is just a statistic. So CK2 is more tragic and Victoria 2 is just statistics.

How do you think those conquered 'Norse' provinces become 'English'?
Trust me, it's not by mutual understanding and cultural exchange. ;)

But I agree that the ability to 'counter-raid' would be cool.
Maybe even give a character modifier that discourages Vikings from raiding you.

Absolutely aye on the first point, 'tis a good one. A lot of things are "behind the scenes" in CK2, and the true beauty of it is that when it works, and it mostly does in spite of how much people, myself most definitely included, rant and rave about it, it works absolutely beautifully when it comes to modeling the correct outcome. There's a reason why people like you and I just can't let go of it :)

I guess what I really wanted to say was what you said in your second point: I really want to be able to punish the everloving crap out of somebody for stepping on my toes. I want to be able to mount a punitive expedition and roflstomp the snot out of the bastards while humming "The Rains of Castamere". For a price, of course. It shouldn't be cheap or easy, but it definitely should be doable. And it should, as you suggested, make your enemies fear you if you go all out and invest in it.

But we can't. The only thing we can do about raiders specifically is to adopt a defensive posture and just accept it for the way life is. Build up your castles, create strong dukes to take care of Coastal Defense and then hope that it all goes away eventually. Which is all OK. Being defensive is and should be an option, but it shouldn't be the only one. Going into a holy rage and investing every ducat of your income, even taking out potentially ruinous loans making the bastards who stepped on your toes piss themselves at the merest thought of ever displeasing you again should be another option.

I realize that we can't have everything, but that truly would be nice. I mean, the raiders can burn down your holdings and set them back years and years while you're building them back up, which is all OK and very historical, I don't want a bit changed about that, but why can't you do the same to them????

Ahhh... The one thing I'd love to be able to do in CK2: Mass murder, razing cities to the ground etc. Seriously. having played as an English character and having been raided by the damnable, seemingly endless hordes of Norse every three days for a century, nothing would please me more than to load up my retinue and go re-enact Carthage on their helmeted arses. But I can't. All I'll accomplish is kill off their levies, which will be replaced by their endless fountain of raiders before I'm done loading my troops back on the ships, so why bother? Sigh.

On a 769 game as Mercia, by 1220 I had reached such a size that no one could hurt me anymore, except those damn vikings who refused to convert. So I went and conquered all of them, gave out the land to my family and released them. I also took over all of Spain, for the fun of it (also gave to family.) By the end of the game, all of Scandinavia, Northern France, Spain, Egypt and Jerusalem were proper Anglo-Saxons.

On a 769 game as Mercia, by 1220 I had reached such a size that no one could hurt me anymore, except those damn vikings who refused to convert. So I went and conquered all of them, gave out the land to my family and released them. I also took over all of Spain, for the fun of it (also gave to family.) By the end of the game, all of Scandinavia, Northern France, Spain, Egypt and Jerusalem were proper Anglo-Saxons.

I like! :)

And it's an option. Not a bad one either. But I don't want their crappy, frozen tundras, I just want them to shiver in their serks when my name is mentioned. I want them to look across acres of rotting bodies of their kinsmen because they dared profane my lands with their presence, and I want them to remember. I want them to suffer. I want my house's name to be the stuff that their great-great-great-great-grandchildren use to frighten their kids into eating their damn vegetables. I want them to spend every night on their knees, praying to whatever god they believe in, I don't care, that they haven't done a single thing this day to as much as annoy me.