• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can reduce the chance of adventurers appearing by keeping a close eye on claimants to your throne. If claimants to the throne are dead or in prison, they can't appear with an army of adventurers.

I'm playing as an Orthodox Christian ruler of Rus/Empire of Russia and I've had close relatives (or what the game deems as close relatives) start adventurer threats. I've used the Patriarch to get them excommunicated and subsequently imprisoned (thus far successfully every time). However, the threat remains even though the instigator is behind bars. Is it enough to imprison an adventurer or must I also execute them? Unsurprisingly this means getting the kinslayer trait which I've managed to deal with thus far, but it'd be nice to avoid it. Can I banish them instead and make the threat go away? On a side note, it seems kinda silly that they could lead an army from prison...

Or should I just try to pre-empt this and see that my dynasty members are all landed? :p

I'm playing as an Orthodox Christian ruler of Rus/Empire of Russia and I've had close relatives (or what the game deems as close relatives) start adventurer threats. I've used the Patriarch to get them excommunicated and subsequently imprisoned (thus far successfully every time). However, the threat remains even though the instigator is behind bars. Is it enough to imprison an adventurer or must I also execute them? Unsurprisingly this means getting the kinslayer trait which I've managed to deal with thus far, but it'd be nice to avoid it. Can I banish them instead and make the threat go away? On a side note, it seems kinda silly that they could lead an army from prison...

Or should I just try to pre-empt this and see that my dynasty members are all landed? :p

I don't have experience with that specifically. I know that if you imprison all the claimants to your throne before they start recruiting adventurers, then they won't have a chance to start. You should keep an eye on claimants BEFORE they become a problem, not after. I usually assassinate adventurers before they finish raising their army.

If you have the claimant in prison ... would you automatically get 100% warscore when he begins his invasion? I don't know if you do or not but it would be worth an experiment. Backup your savegame and give it a test, I would say. If you do test that theory, please come back and post the results!

Adventurers are very easy to deal with. There's no need to fight them.

As soon as you get the warning that you're being targeted, assassinate them. That's all you have to do.

Plot to assassinate, or just pay the gold and do it outright. Even if they've spawned, your plotting can still trigger an assassination and the Doomball army will vanish from the map.

First, here are some arguments I've seen for pro adventurers. That their doomstack splits up to attack your provinces. In my case that doomstack will split up into about 4 stacks of around 4,500 to 5,000 troops, and they will sit in provinces touching each other at all times, so if I attack one, all the others quickly reinforce the stack I attacked. I may be doing well in that battle at first, about 10k of my troops vs. 5k of theirs, but while getting them to the routing stage all of a sudden another 30k troops have joined the battle and I get wiped out.

Another pro for adventurers is that you can stop them before they start, assassination. Although this won't always work either, as much of the time no amount of bribing will bring the plot power over 100%. So we get them to join your court, but they don't want to join your court. You try to get their wife, or liege to join your court, they don't want to as well. You start assassinating everyone but the adventurer to try and get to him, and then those 2 years are up and he suddenly has 40k troops on your doorstep.

In my most recent playthrough I experience some of the worst adventurers have to offer. Within a 30 year period of time I had 6 adventure wars start. Each time I was already involved in other defensive wars, and each time my treasury, and my troops, were already depleted due to fairly constant warfare that I couldn't get away from. For the first few wars I had allies from some great marriage deals, but those kings/emperors died off, and I had no one left that I could marry off for an alliance that would be compatible with any other major power. I could not assassinate the adventurer leaders, the potential plot power never went above 40% for any of them, I could not invite them to court, and I didn't have the plot power or money to start bribing everyone else to try and get any of these guys into my court. For the first two, with allies and mercs I was able to win without too much difficulty, but then I lost my alliances, and fought other defensive wars (Because nations like to declare war on you when they know you just lost a ton of troops and money, I lost only one of those defensive wars, and was really annoyed because it was my fault and I could have won it. Those wars include 2 wars with France, a Jihad from the Suljek against my territory, 2 holy wars from the Fatimids, a duchy in the Fatimids, a duchy in France, and Briah (Brittany), had all declared war on me during the same 30 years time.

Anyway, so the third adventure army comes along, and I just sat back and watched them start to siege up my provinces. But then my fourth adventure war started, and those two armies clashed. They did enough damage to each other that I was able to come in with a merc army and win against both. Here I thought I could finally start expanding now that I had no wars, so I attacked France to take a province back, and almost immediately 2 more adventure wars gave me their warning I would be invaded in 2 years. I was winning against France when Briah (Brittany) declared war against me, and joined their armies to France, but I managed to win against both, and just as I was done both of those adventure wars started and I was invaded on two sides of my kingdom. That's where I sit now, waiting to see which one wins first.

Alright, first, I don't mind getting beaten. When France beat me in that war it was fairly refreshing, as I was very surprised I had managed to win every single war to date with only about 10k troops at any point in time. France, however, raised their armies, and paid them. My problem with the adventurers is that literally just 40k troops minimum (In my case), rise up out of nowhere. Where did this guy get 40k troops loyal enough to him to fight without getting paid come from? In my play through there are 2 nations that can match that number by themselves, and both of them extend a massive amount of territory. Why, in my case at least, are there over 240,000 troops ready to go to war with me for free, all within one generation, for a few people who just feel like they want a piece of my land? It's the idea of losing to that lack of realism that bothers me.

Last edited:
Their requirements are here:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Adventurers

In my current game I lost my Catholic Kingdom to a dynastic Germanic Adventurer - but I was able to assassinate him and his heir and inherit the Kingdom back. I also got to keep his 20K maintenance/attrition free troops! It was a pretty exciting sequence of events.

This was the first link that showed up on google with people having issues with adventurers. It is in fact a week old, the latest conversation was 7 days ago.

15-04-2014

How is that a week ?

Waste some time looking in the forum and open a new thread.

That was my mistake, I misread the dates. Anyway, I'm interested in discussing what the topic of the thread is, not the dates on when it was started.

You can't misread the dates claiming as a fact.Whatever...
Anyway, adventurer size and numbers should have changed by now in the Open Beta patch, which will become the full one soon,
so the debate is currently rather on hold, unless you have experience with a new game started since 2.2.0.5.

You better start a new thread, otherwise other posters might respond to very old posts during which the mechnics and rules of the game can change.
That's the reason why necro'd threads usually get closed.

You can't misread the dates claiming as a fact.Whatever...
Anyway, adventurer size and numbers should have changed by now in the Open Beta patch, which will become the full one soon,
so the debate is currently rather on hold, unless you have experience with a new game started since 2.2.0.5.

You better start a new thread, otherwise other posters might respond to very old posts during which the mechnics and rules of the game can change.
That's the reason why necro'd threads usually get closed.

The whole point of admitting my mistake was that I claimed those dates as a fact. I found this thread as part of a google search, and I'm already very turned off to the idea of continuing with anything on this forum, as I have a person on these forums at 6,707 posts trying to 'one-up' me on what isn't even an argument. If that's what I can expect from someone who has been here that long, than I'll be content sitting back and waiting for this new patch that will fix these issues with adventurers and avoiding interacting with these forums any longer.

The whole point of admitting my mistake was that I claimed those dates as a fact. I found this thread as part of a google search, and I'm already very turned off to the idea of continuing with anything on this forum, as I have a person on these forums at 6,707 posts trying to 'one-up' me on what isn't even an argument. If that's what I can expect from someone who has been here that long, than I'll be content sitting back and waiting for this new patch that will fix these issues with adventurers and avoiding interacting with these forums any longer.

You are pissed because i told you that one can't misread it ? Please. I don't 'one-up' on you. All is based on what you used as arguments.

Anyway, welcome. ;)

During my last full game under 2.1.6, at one point I had one adventurer attacking, two adventurer notices, and a fourth that only was averted because I gave him a barony. One of those adventurers marched their armies halfway across the world and I had to sit there and wait (and not do stuff that you can't do during wars like go on pilgrimage.)

I just console kill them now.

Don't feel bad about it. People in these forums behave like elitists of royal blood. Think of that arbitrary inbreed duke of yours that you have a claim on. Now you can't assasinate him anymore because Paradox removed that option but what if you could piss that duke off so much by making him the Jester of your court that once he revolts you can throw his inbred nerd ass into the oubiliette?

Same thing here, when you find some Jester who you would enjoy slapping all night long for 0,3 gold a month, keep provoking him with your rhetoric. Nerds in these lands can't take losing an argument, even if you act like you won the argument they will act all insulted and agitated looking for the nearest rope to hang themselves.

Paradox forums are the best. Keep posting whatever you want, wherever you want always following the rules of the forum and you will have great joy reading people getting offended by just that.