[suggestion] PDS grand strategy games on IOS/Android OS

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tablets are just computers with touchscreen interfaces (and it's worth noting PDS games are hardly hardware hogs - I'd expect most PDS games could, in theory, run on most modern tablets were they made to run on iOS/Android, and a mouse could be plugged in). The challenge isn't in the hardware in terms of processing, but rather in the UI, because touch is less precise than a mouse (a finger covers more of the screen than a mouse pointer, and you can't see what's under the finger at the point of pressing it). Overcome the UI issues, and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work (indeed, overcome the UI issues and I can't see why you couldn't transfer your game of EU4 or CK2 to tablet, take it on the road, then transfer it back to PC and keep playing :)).

Reactions:
They should only make Android/iOS games that have the same size and scope as Sengoku or March of the Eagles (i love these). This way, our favorite franchises keep receiving all the love they deserve, while giving to casual gamers the kind of game they like the most: quick, focused, with a clear premise and fun, easy to learn arcade gameplay.

Tablets are just computers with touchscreen interfaces (and it's worth noting PDS games are hardly hardware hogs - I'd expect most PDS games could, in theory, run on most modern tablets were they made to run on iOS/Android, and a mouse could be plugged in). The challenge isn't in the hardware in terms of processing, but rather in the UI, because touch is less precise than a mouse (a finger covers more of the screen than a mouse pointer, and you can't see what's under the finger at the point of pressing it). Overcome the UI issues, and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work (indeed, overcome the UI issues and I can't see why you couldn't transfer your game of EU4 or CK2 to tablet, take it on the road, then transfer it back to PC and keep playing :)).

this

Reactions:

Well, the market is quite different as well - I am unsure wether they could really sell a game 30$ on tablet. Not to mention I (and I'll assume I wouldn't be the only one) wouldn't want to buy the game + DLCs again just to be able to play "on the road". I have a laptop for that !

Well, the market is quite different as well - I am unsure wether they could really sell a game 30$ on tablet. Not to mention I (and I'll assume I wouldn't be the only one) wouldn't want to buy the game + DLCs again just to be able to play "on the road". I have a laptop for that !

Totally agree that it's a different market on tablet. What if, say, it was $5 for a 'second copy' on tablet, or even better (although I have no idea whether it'd be possible - it'd need the cost of development/deployment to be pretty low) have a steamplay-like arrangement where if you own it on Steam for Windows, you can get it on Android or iOS as well? I do think it'd struggle as a stand-alone title at full price on tablet, as the market is so debased by the idea that anything over $5 is expensive (which is also the reason why there are far less 'good' games on tablet, but that's another issue altogether :)).

Ergonomics is another challenge. I couldn't possibly imagine playing anything resembling the usual game sessions with a tablet.

How many people use their tablet in a similar posture than desktop?

Last edited:
Reactions:
That's true. You can build a game on tablet all you want, but how many are going to actually play it, unless it is a dumbed down version that won't take hours?

I think if it doesn't interfere with PC game development a small game on the scale of say.. Sengoku might be atleast fun to try and see if it works.

Reactions:
I think if it doesn't interfere with PC game development a small game on the scale of say.. Sengoku might be atleast fun to try and see if it works.

Yeah, smaller-scale game could work.

Also, the challenge isn't necessarily shortening the total length of a campaign; it's ensuring that a player can make meaningful progress in truncated, sub-hour sessions. If I have 30 minutes riding on a bus or train, or in a waiting room, or just in the living room relaxing, I want to be able to delve right into my game in progress and make at least one significant accomplishment. I want to wage an entire war, I want to tie up every loose end in my country's administration, etc. PC grand strategy sessions can take a while to accelerate into game progress.

That's true. You can build a game on tablet all you want, but how many are going to actually play it, unless it is a dumbed down version that won't take hours?
That would be the point of a mobile version, a short sweet simplified version of the game that can be quickly picked up and quickly put down. No one in there right mind would try to create a game that takes hours upon hours of continuous gameplay for the mobile market because it would die on arrival.

To be honest i think tablets are going the way of the surface pro (it's like a tablet but with desktop windows installed and designed so it's more useable like a work laptop). From what i have heard (only based on a few comments on the internet, I don't have the strongest surface pro 3 available for testing) the latest surface pro can run CK2 and EU4 fine if you play the game on low speeds. This automatically fixes issues like rebuying, ensures playing between all versions will continue, no extra dev time needed, and ensures that it won't be dumbed down.

Reactions:
I don't see how this shall work? Paradox games are some of the most keyboard/mouse utilising games on the market. How are you going to manage multiple army stacks or all those different menus effectively without shortcuts/two mouse buttons? I already have trouble now with controls, often I click on wrong tabs/provinces. you already have to stop the game every 5 seconds as soon as a war is going on...
Performance-wise: I can barely run Crusader Kings 2 on my I7 4790 without the music lagging all the time, how is this supposed to work on a tablet? They are powerful yes, but they also tend to become very hot and loose their battery-power faster than you can recharge them so there would be lot of "optimizing" needed (cutting out non-core features... dumbing down). You shouldn't forget, Pdox-games are hardcore strategy games. You do not play them for 10 or 20 min while on bus and then go to work, these kind of games fill up whole evenings. And don't get me started on all those free to pay nonsense which is kinda a forced thing for tablet games now... "Culture conversion is part of the Paradox Genocide DLC pack ($0.79). BUY NOW!!!"

Instead of porting these games on a tablet (where they really don't belong), Pdox should concentrate on optimising their games. Most people who want to play these type of games at their living rooms or outside will use weak laptops anyway

Most people who want to play these type of games at their living rooms or outside will use weak laptops anyway

This. If someone is really interested in playing strategy games, rather than play it on tablet he'll readily get the game on his laptop where he can also attach a mouse.

I don't see how this shall work? Paradox games are some of the most keyboard/mouse utilising games on the market. How are you going to manage multiple army stacks or all those different menus effectively without shortcuts/two mouse buttons? I already have trouble now with controls, often I click on wrong tabs/provinces. you already have to stop the game every 5 seconds as soon as a war is going on...
Performance-wise: I can barely run Crusader Kings 2 on my I7 4790 without the music lagging all the time, how is this supposed to work on a tablet? They are powerful yes, but they also tend to become very hot and loose their battery-power faster than you can recharge them so there would be lot of "optimizing" needed (cutting out non-core features... dumbing down). You shouldn't forget, Pdox-games are hardcore strategy games. You do not play them for 10 or 20 min while on bus and then go to work, these kind of games fill up whole evenings. And don't get me started on all those free to pay nonsense which is kinda a forced thing for tablet games now... "Culture conversion is part of the Paradox Genocide DLC pack ($0.79). BUY NOW!!!"

Instead of porting these games on a tablet (where they really don't belong), Pdox should concentrate on optimising their games. Most people who want to play these type of games at their living rooms or outside will use weak laptops anyway

Redesign the UI for a touch screen, simples. I can imagine it working well.

And power, not too much of a problem. They'd be designing it for a limited set of specs and can optimize it around those single configurations rather than multiple configurations like the PC Market.

Then you should build a somewhat simple, but addictive game for mobile that people can play here and there for a short period of time when they are on the move. Problem solved.

(Was going to ask if Paradox had any mobile games and found this thread.)

Please don't necro old threads, open a new one instead. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.