[suggestion] PDS grand strategy games on IOS/Android OS

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justin96

Sergeant
67 Badges
Nov 8, 2014
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
It would be very cool if PDS could develop some grand strategy titles for mobile platforms such as IPad/IPhone or other tablets/smartphones. I understand that games for mobile operating systems would have to have a large portion of gameplay features removed to make them playable, making them less in-depth than PC titles like Europa Universalis IV or Crusader Kings II, but I think PDS can develop a mobile game that at least feels somewhat like its PC titles.

Reactions:
...And then will begin the cycle where games will be dumbed down and stripped of features to cope with the less sophisticated operating systems like these. Worse, they would instead begin to focus on the arcade and casual market (no company ever successfully resisted this urge) and this would completely destroy the Paradox grand strategy franchise not just on those systems but on PC as well. And games will be built for iOS/Android first and then ported to PC later, instead of the other way around. That will result in bad ports and bad games.

Please no.

Reactions:
completely destroy the Paradox grand strategy franchise not just on those systems but on PC as well. And games will be built for iOS/Android first and then ported to PC later, instead of the other way around. That will result in bad ports and bad games.

Just because PDS develops a game for phones doesn't mean they'll port it to PC, and how would it destroy the franchises for both platforms?

Reactions:
Just because PDS develops a game for phones doesn't mean they'll port it to PC, and how would it destroy the franchises for both platforms?

Because you know very well that once companies go into that business, they find it irresistible to indulge in the practices like these no matter how much they say otherwise. And eventually they'll start mixing up the two markets. An enormous number of previously good PC franchises who have gone on the mobile/tablet market have started to go downhill, and I doubt Paradox games would be any different after an year or two if they go on that route.

And IOS/Android ports to PC will be there unless the company is a giant like EA or something similar, who can develop the same game for multiple platforms simultaneously.

Paradox should keep away from the IOS/Android crowd.

Reactions:
...And then will begin the cycle where games will be dumbed down and stripped of features to cope with the less sophisticated operating systems like these. Worse, they would instead begin to focus on the arcade and casual market (no company ever successfully resisted this urge) and this would completely destroy the Paradox grand strategy franchise not just on those systems but on PC as well. And games will be built for iOS/Android first and then ported to PC later, instead of the other way around. That will result in bad ports and bad games.

Please no.

Why dumb it down if you make it for a tablet?

Reactions:
Please no! Either it forces them to invest resources in different versions, or they do one version that ends up worse for PC.

Reactions:
Why dumb it down if you make it for a tablet?

Well because I doubt tablet games can have as much capacity, processing power, details, and thus features, as the PC games can. But it is alright if tablet and PC markets are kept completely separate and do not influence the development, decisions and business strategy for each other.

Besides, Paradox games are deep and can run for hours, and there seems to be a much, much smaller market for deep, detailed and hour-long games in the IOS/Android community. It is a mostly casual market from the very roots.

Reactions:
Well because I doubt tablet games can have as much capacity, processing power, details, and thus features, as the PC games can. But it is alright if tablet and PC markets are kept completely separate and do not influence the development, decisions and business strategy for each other.

Besides, Paradox games are deep and can run for hours, and there seems to be a much, much smaller market for deep, detailed and hour-long games in the IOS/Android community. It is a mostly casual market from the very roots.

Ok, so what about, let's say, ten years from now when the processing power of mobile platforms will have almost certainly doubled (since computers generally advance exponentially anyway)? Do you think they'd be able to accomodate games at least like EU3 or Vicky2 (earlier titles are ok)? I'd personally be ok with waiting that long, since I'll be in college with a lot more important stuff to do anyway. And also, PDS grand strategy games on mobile platforms can be spin-off or secondary titles while primary grand strategy games can still be pc games, like how the Civilization franchise has its main series of pc games and a different set of games (Civilization: revolution) made specifically for mobile platforms and home consoles. And I'm sure that the Settlers franchise has done the same thing as well.

Most higher end tablets (anything with a Tegra chip) could probably come close to handling EU4 at least without much compromise. The only issue would be redesigning the interface to be readable on a smaller screen and to be able to select buttons, provinces, and troops effectively. I would buy EU4 again in a heartbeat if it was released for Android.

Because you know very well that once companies go into that business, they find it irresistible to indulge in the practices like these no matter how much they say otherwise. And eventually they'll start mixing up the two markets. An enormous number of previously good PC franchises who have gone on the mobile/tablet market have started to go downhill, and I doubt Paradox games would be any different after an year or two if they go on that route.

And IOS/Android ports to PC will be

What? So, if PDS makes a single game for phones/tablets they'll never return to the PC? And you're 110% sure there will be ports, how? Is there a set of rules for phone developers that they HAVE to follow?

Reactions:
You people are aware that Paradox games can be played only by mouse?
For say EUIV, port the game, redesign a bit the interface and here done, iPad/Android Tablet version.

If you don't develop it for tablet, at least develop it for the Hololens ! EU's table-top feeling, with all the advantages of a PC.

Reactions:
Strategy games on a tablet? A brilliantly brilliant idea to say the least of. In theory its great, in practice its glorious and should be implemented right now.

I would thoroughly enjoy playing CK2 (my least favuorite of all PDS current generation games) on a tablet, murdering children and having my glorious dynasty be glorious of all in game whilst using le privy.

PDS games stole half of my life, the other half I spent away from my PC, now imagine if I had all those PDS grand strategy games on my android phone, my tablet(which I don't have but a man can dream that he has one, can't he?) PDS would have my entire life, and my soul. This doesn't sound half bad, now, does it?

Reactions:
Strategy games on a tablet? A brilliantly brilliant idea to say the least of. In theory its great, in practice its glorious and should be implemented right now.

I would thoroughly enjoy playing CK2 (my least favuorite of all PDS current generation games) on a tablet, murdering children and having my glorious dynasty be glorious of all in game whilst using le privy.

PDS games stole half of my life, the other half I spent away from my PC, now imagine if I had all those PDS grand strategy games on my android phone, my tablet(which I don't have but a man can dream that he has one, can't he?) PDS would have my entire life, and my soul. This doesn't sound half bad, now, does it?

Not sure if sarcastic.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.