• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, I just hope this game won't turn out like EUIII where eveyr country felt the same to play.
I agree with you on vanilla EU3 but in CK1 it wasn't much difference between countries and that game still had replay value. Probably because the focus in CK1 wasn't so much on the countries as on the people. That said I'd love for different parts of the map to have different feels.

I agree with you on vanilla EU3 but in CK1 it wasn't much difference between countries and that game still had replay value. Probably because the focus in CK1 wasn't so much on the countries as on the people. That said I'd love for different parts of the map to have different feels.
They did have different feels. I never played in Iberia because I was too chicken. The Baltic plays a lot differently then the Mediteranean.

Yeah after 50 years of random shit happening an Iberian power doesn't feel that different then Sicily, but in a sandbiox game what did you expect?

Nick

This is a good point. Although I like every Pardox game I played so far (well...except HoI3) the newer Clausewitz-Engine games lack a bit in this regard, I think.
While the semi-sandbox approach in this games isn't bad per se, the loss of individualisation the Europa-Engine games had because of their historical determinism isn't quite compensated in my opinion.
For example playing a HRE member in EU3 is distinctly different from playing a non-HRE member (good) but the HRE members themselves play all the same (bad).
For me all Clausewitz games released so far need mods adding more regional diversity to gain real replayability (good thing they are modding friendly so there are good mods for all of them :)), the vanilla-versions of Europa-Engine games just somehow feel more complete.

The irony is that every single clausewitz game after vanilla EU3 has had far more historically determenistic events & decisions than every europa engine game, but we still keep people saying "its too much sandbox". I suspect those people never ever played vanilla EU1 or EU2 :)

For the record, there are some minor event chains in vanilla EU2 inside the HRE that increases or decreases relations between some blocks on nations, like the League of Augsburg, at set historical dates, but nothing else thats not in Vanilla EU3.

Would it be possible to make inheritance laws moddable?
Code:
my_inheritance_law = {
   can_inherit = {
       sex = male
       OR = { religion = catholic religion = orthodox }
       age = 35
   }
   recurse = {
       source = siblings
       sort = { martial intrigue }
       filter = {
           sex = male
       }
   }
   recurse = {
       source = children
       sort = { age }
       filter = {
           NOT = { trait = bastard }
       }
   }
}

So by this law that I made up on the fly here allows anyone who is a christian and 35 years old at least to inherit. If he dies his most martial or most intriguing brothers will inherit. If there are none then his oldest child is considered. Note that although females cannot inherit, the inheritance can pass through the female line, but only through daughters not sisters.

I imagine that a rota system could be implemented by having the source of inheritable people be a list of the other principalities, and also having an event or on_inherit trigger on the law itself that will give away the previous title to the next guy in line.

They did have different feels. I never played in Iberia because I was too chicken. The Baltic plays a lot differently then the Mediteranean.

Yeah after 50 years of random shit happening an Iberian power doesn't feel that different then Sicily, but in a sandbiox game what did you expect?

Nick
Well, I disagree. Starting as a count in Germany, France, Iberia or Greece made little difference to me in CK1. But in CK1 I didn't have any problem with that, I liked CK1 very much and played it a lot despite it's obvious nags.

The irony is that every single clausewitz game after vanilla EU3 has had far more historically determenistic events & decisions than every europa engine game, but we still keep people saying "its too much sandbox". I suspect those people never ever played vanilla EU1 or EU2 :)
Maybe we are just comparing a late AGCEEP mod of EU2 with EU3 vanilla but in my rosy memories of EU1 - which I played more than any other game I've ever owned except for Civ2 - it really did feel different playing Sweden, Russia, France or England. I know there were only a handful of country specific events in that game so it must have been something else, the kings and the generals maybe? Or maybe we've just gotten spoiled somewhere along the line?

Completely unrelated to this, I just realized that that annoying economist that seemed to be a friend of Johan's and always spoke as if he knew what was going on at Paradox is in fact Johan himself. I've seen Balor's title for years and always read it as "Johan's home accountant". :eek:o

Maybe we are just comparing a late AGCEEP mod of EU2 with EU3 vanilla but in my rosy memories of EU1 - which I played more than any other game I've ever owned except for Civ2 - it really did feel different playing Sweden, Russia, France or England. I know there were only a handful of country specific events in that game so it must have been something else, the kings and the generals maybe? Or maybe we've just gotten spoiled somewhere along the line?

In fact, the question is "what wasn't in EU2?" rather than "what did EU2 had that EU3 didn't?".

This is, IMHO, the root of your perceived different feeling.

In EU2 you would only have event scripted for your country so every country had a different feel. You would not get a time of troubles as Poland, the opportunity to have a personal union with Burgundy as Bavaria or an Enlightenment Revolution as England. Few countries only would get core provinces on Naples. etc. etc. You would not be able to colonize the New World as Hungary.

Well, I disagree. Starting as a count in Germany, France, Iberia or Greece made little difference to me in CK1. But in CK1 I didn't have any problem with that, I liked CK1 very much and played it a lot despite it's obvious nags.
A big part of the problem is you're playing as a Count, and there just wasn't enough to do in CK1 as a Count. Doing nothing feels the same no matter where you are.

As a Duke things feel a lot different depending on the region because you can actually do stuff. A Greek Duke, for example, wouldn't really have the opportunity to bully a neighboring Muslim Emir while scheming to inherit every Jimenez throne at once. OTOH a Spaniard is not gonna have to worry about whether that idiot Dukas let's the Turks cross the Bosporus. Not to mention that our Greek friend could become heir to Dukas quite easily simply by engaging in a couple long-distance Crusades.

Germany and France play similarly in 1066, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. They're both well-established Feudal Realms, simulated fairly accurately by the game engine, with no obvious Crusade targets.

Granted they could have made those two roles feel even more different. The internal politics of the Empire were not well simulated by any of CK's legal systems, for example.

Nick