• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
irishleinster1.jpg

So this is Iceland and not Greenland?

The original Cold War.

As I went to war with France and Burgundy I noticed that Portugal was still at war. So I finally quit and load up the save as Portugal to see how long it has lasted. I'm fairly certain that there hasn't been any land battles fought since Finland's exit (year and half into the war), and you can see the only battles that Portugal has won.

Last edited:
seaidan said:
The original Cold War.

As I went to war with France and Burgundy I noticed that Portugal was still at war. So I finally quit and load up the save as Portugal to see how long it has lasted. I'm fairly certain that there hasn't been any land battles fought since Finland's exit (year and half into the war), and you can see the only battles that Portugal has won.
that is quite the long war.

If you look closely at it, there are a million things that one could find funny in it. Definitly a good screen shot!

comagoosie said:
that is quite the long war.

If you look closely at it, there are a million things that one could find funny in it. Definitly a good screen shot!

Yeah no joke. Funny how Portugal always seems to colony-blob even faster than England, unless Castille attacks Portugal first and keeps it from colonizing...in which case a well-planning England can conquer North America all by himself! (unfortunately, the time it takes to set up to take the south lets SOMEONE on the Iberian inevitably get a piece of the action...

Incidentally, I saw a war where Portugal and Algiers fought for about 15ish years until it was finally a draw. Portugal only had their capital in Europe left, and Algiers managed to take it, but then the Portugese navy kept Algiers from attacking Portugal's 7 or 8 colonies (they'd been trimmed down pretty hard previously by the aforementioned Castille).

It seems like the countries in the game fall into the category of either blobbing big navies (Ottomans) or making no navy at all hardly, even when the country they're attacking is CLEARLY a naval power. I guess they all just assume they'll sit inside Fortress Europe like Hitler, eh?

t0m said:
irishleinster1.jpg

So this is Iceland and not Greenland?
It may just be conjecture, but some say that Irish monks did actually settle in Iceland and met a messy fate once the Vikings arrived.

Neblogai said:
And one more screenshot, taken from AI game- French and English love those long wars :)

waryt2.jpg
Wow, that was an epic war, unlike the 'epic' Malian-French War below. Usually those descriptors aren't very accurate. I think this game needs a better way to view historic wars.

Haftetavenscrap said:
Wow, that was an epic war, unlike the 'epic' Malian-French War below. Usually those descriptors aren't very accurate. I think this game needs a better way to view historic wars.

Maybe it should do them based on a time+death toll system?

ie. 1 year and 5000 killed in battle... "The brief War of German Conquest"

5 years and 100,000 killed... "The Bloody War of the Saxons"

20 years and 1000 dead (with naval blockading)... "The Long War of the Two Navies"

50 years and 500,000 dead... "The Endless War of Spanish Slaughter"

something like that. Feel free to come up with your own names for them, could be fun.

Haftetavenscrap said:

I'm shocked it didn't call it Short, or even Unsuccessful war ending in Conquest.

Neblogai said:
Is this usual- year 1684- Aztecs and Mayans still living happily. 15 easy to conquer provinces, "land tech 1" defenders, 11000 ducats in Aztec coffers- but AI doesn't care:)
eu349dc8.jpg

No, that's really not usual. In my experience, European powers will start going after Native American countries the minute they have any kind of foothold in the New World. Still, I suppose if something was happening at home that distracted the AI of the relevent countries, that might have caused them to leave the Aztecs and Mayans alone.

A marriage across the ocean:

my.php

Ming was almost destroyed:

my.php

The countries involved are:

Dark green on the coast: Russia
Dark green near Tibet: Ayutthaya
Green on north-west: Mongols
Light green on north-west of Korea: Kazakh
Light light green on south: Xiang
Dark red: Great Britain
Light red: Japan
Light brown: Manchu
Brown: Shu

Well this game is just broken on everything (English Brazil, the Knights on the Caribbean, a scandinavian Brandeburg, and so on..)

Uni Maximilian said:
A marriage across the ocean:

my.php

Ming was almost destroyed:

my.php

The countries involved are:

Dark green on the coast: Russia
Dark green near Tibet: Ayutthaya
Green on north-west: Mongols
Light green on north-west of Korea: Kazakh
Light light green on south: Xiang
Dark red: Great Britain
Light red: Japan
Light brown: Manchu
Brown: Shu

Well this game is just broken on everything (English Brazil, the Knights on the Caribbean, a scandinavian Brandeburg, and so on..)

Yeah, I witnessed something similar (that I sparked) when last I played a full game as England turned GB. I attack Vijaynagar (sp?) and start taking spice provinces (the spice must flow!) and suddenly Ayutthaya and Timurid start carving up its northern-peninsular provinces (with even Delhi taking 2 or 3 of them!). Then, when I launched my invasion of China from Taiwan (that'll teach the commies!) through Macau and the other Chinaware, spice, and tea provinces, suddenly the hordes, Tibet, Korea (their old ally, I'd already sunk Japan's battleship as it were), and Russia's small colony armies started continuously fighting them in the north and west. It created a cycle whereby once I one that first initial war (with about 40,000 advanced infantrymen and a few thousand cavalry...artillery are always SOOOOO slow, so I use them only in defense of the Queen's England!), I essentially broke China's back on accident by setting the stage for it to constantly have a war in its north, then in its west, then in its southeast when I'd attack again, then back to the north and west while I waited for my peace treaty to wear off...over and over, until after the 3rd or 4th war I finally offered Ming vassalage even though I had a warscore of about 40 and they TOOK it, thereby leaving me with their richest provinces (they moved their capital so I'd taken that little rich province as well) and yet all that money from that VAST population at the same time. I had enough BB that I had to fight France about 3 times before it backed off (stalemate in the Channel, and I won in the colonies), but it was well worth it to vassalize a third of the population of Earth. Muahahahahaha