• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(545134)

Recruit
1 Badges
Aug 31, 2012
  • Starvoid
I recently purchased starvoid, and *tried* playing it, but it was unplayable. Apart from the game having a hit-or-miss loadup the first few times, once the game was actually running the latency makes scrolling, targeting, or any other actions to do with the mouse completely unreliable. I tried turning all the graphics to the lowest possible settings (even the resolution down to the point where text was unreadable), but still the game was uncontrollable.

My specs:
Processor: Intel Core QuadCore i7 @1.73 w/ turboboost to 2.6Ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disc space: >100GB free
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If not, is there a process to go about getting a refund?

Thank you.

Hi again Steamuser! I just saw that you'd written here too :)

I'll summarize what I answered in the PM, and we'll take it here instead!

Is your computer a laptop? Because integrated video cards are not supported, and the game is therefore not very tested on such machines - But your specs still seems powerful enough either way so should still be possible to run the game. Maybe you have some kind of power saving mode activated? Is usually lower the computer's performance a lot. Or a lot of other programs and apps running at the same time?

Thanks for your reply/ies. It is a laptop yes, I do all my gaming on this machine (including known intensive games like crysis). I don't recall reading that integrated cards are not supported in the minimum requirements. :(

I keep everything else closed, even the main steam window, not that I should lack for memory, but you never know. Power settings are set to maximum performance (whenever plugged in, which it is). Even did a fresh reboot before playing. Graphics drivers are up to date. Any other suggestions?

Are you sure it is a problem with the graphics and not with the network? I had some issues with all those at first, but then I noticed something. Some people were all jerky and hard to hit, while others moved smoothly on my screen. I haven't noticed this as much after the new patch, but it could just be good luck with the connections. Also, switching from Wireless to Wired seemed to alleviate this problem a little.

Oh, and when targeting, you have to click at the feet of whatever you want to hit. Clicking on their body/head does not work most of the time (you'll just walk). It took me a bit to realize this.

I also run off of a laptop (and seem to have similar stats as yours). Had the issue of very sluggish playing on the servers as well. I have the res turned way down and all other graphics turned off or as far down as they can go. It fixed the issue for me. . . . most of the time . . . still have a server connection that once in awhile is a bit sluggish but I think that is more of a connection issue. Normally when that happens, I jump out and go in to a different server and it is fine again.