• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
to Enewald:
In this timeline, he is a Prussian Lithuanian. He hails from Lithuania Minor and thus knows very good German. :D

to Karaiskandar:
Of course. But Popeliucka is a very nervous person.

Update later tonight!

June 3, 1941
General Popeliucka's Mobile Headquarters, Balta.

screensave23p.png

On 21 May, Kiev fell to Lithuanian troops. Despite the organized defence and Ukrainian militia called to arms, Lithuanian artillery and tanks combined with a non-stop air bombardment ensured a victory for Mitteleuropa.

Hesitating to force the Dnieper, the other side of the river promised to Russia and Cossacks, General Popeliucka ordered most of the troops relocated to the south, to secure the Odessa-Kherson region.

savaskazokai6.jpg

Cossack infantrymen in Rostov-on-Don.

Cossacks, having declared war on May 16, took most of the south-eastern Ukraine in a week, reaching Zaporozhye ten days later. Their cavalry was used with amazing results - Ukrainians, lacking any motorised units, kept getting encircled and wiped out in a matter of days. However, the mountainous Crimea wasn't fit for cavalry, and Cossacks were having a hard time trying to find paths to capture Sevastopol.

screensave25.png

Russians weren't lucky at all. Their initial success at Chernigov and Kursk was outmached by a cunning Ukrainian counter-attack in the north-east. Quickly encircling a small Russian force in the region, Ukrainians mobilised local peasantry to step up against Denikin's autocracy, instigating the riots in agrarian borderlands. As a result, Ukrainians managed to cross the Don and capture Voronezh.

The situation that took place on the Black Sea cost was very advantageous for the Lithuanian Army. Kherson fell on May 27, and the Ukrainian army in Odessa, consisting of six divisions and a lot of anti-tank artillery, was now encircled.

...General's flow of thoughts was disturbed by a German officer entering the building his HQ was now in, accompanied by a couple of soldiers.

germanofficers.png

In addition to advisers, a German army corps of five divisions was deployed in Ukraine.

- General Popeliucka? - he asked in German.
- Yes, that would be me. - Popeliucka nodded, extinguishing his pipe.
- The name is von Flegel, sir, Oberst. I have been sent here with a direct order from His Majesty in order to assist you with the task of finishing the Ukraine campaign.

Popeliucka looked at the Colonel.
- Do you mean King Mindaugas or the Kaiser?
- Kaiser Wilhelm the Third, of course! As soon as he took over, he decided that Germany should take a more active part in the war. It is vital for all of us, you see!
- Wait, what? Took over? Third?
- General, are you a hermit? Do you read newspapes? - scoffed von Flegel. Wilhelm II, er ruhe in Frieden , died a week ago! Wilhelm the Third's coronation is due in a month, but that doesn't mean that Germany must stand idle until all the formalities have been carried through. And that's why I'm here!
- Allright - replied Popeliucka - then have a seat, please.

Von Flegel took his service cap off and sat down in one of the armchairs left by the previous owners of the building. He ruffled his blonde hair. Popeliucka wondered how young the Colonel must be. Thirty? Thirty-five at the most.

- So, where's the action, General, and why aren't you at the frontline, commanding the glorious army of Lithuania to battle?
Popeliucka shrugged and pointed at the map.
screensave28.png

- Uh, it's a hellhole out there, Colonel, and I can't be in a dozen places at the same time. We're currently on our fifth day of sieging Odessa, hopefully will clean the city up from all the resistance by tomorrow.

The headquarters were empty now, except Popeliucka and von Flegel with his three guardsmen. It was late in the night, and everyone in the staff went to sleep, knowing that they had nothing to do until Odessa is secured.

Von Flegel dismissed his soldiers. They didn't go too far, just dropping their guns and finding a room for themselves to sleep.
- Tell me, General...
Popeliucka rubbed his sleepy eyes.
- Yes?
- What do you think about those rumours of a new big war brewing, this time with the France and this pesky Internationale?
- I think that war is hell, Herr von Flegel. And a bigger war would be a bigger hell. I've fought in the Weltkrieg, I'm fighting now, but I don't want our youngsters dying in millions in another apocalypse. We've lost over 30.000 people here in Ukraine already, and it's not getting easier.
- But what about Syndicalism, General?
- I despise it - answered Popeliucka - just as much as you do, Colonel. I despise the very godless essence of this idea, but I see no reason to charge into France to make them change their mind.
- Oh, I think it would be a glorious adventure for Germany, and the Commonwealth, of course. Just think, German troops in Paris, yet again, this time bringing order to Europe once and for all! I surely hope His Majesty is a much more modern person than Wilhelm the Second, and he will help us forge a better future with whatever means we find necessary.
General shook his head.
- But what did we fight the Weltkrieg for, then? If we start a new major war, and eventually win, Colonel, note that there is a chance that we won't win, with Americans and India backing up the Reds, we will just end up helping Entente! The same Entente we so gloriously crushed twenty years ago.
- But that's exactly what I'm taking about! Ewige Wiederkunft! The Eternal Return in pure form! That's what Nietzsche had been writing about! A new Übermensch, the superman, the Mitteleuropean soldier, crushing a new Dragon, the Syndicalism. We shall build a new France, a new England! And I don't worry about the East - we've shown the Chinese the might of German arms, we'll do the same in India.
- May I pour you something? - asked Popeliucka.
- No, I don't drink, it clouds my judgment.
- You don't drink at all?
- Ah, General, you're too old to understand the opportunities that arise for Mitteleuropa these years. The future is open before us! We just need to get into our tanks and charge into it! And, I obviously drink, just no alcohol - clarified von Flegel.
- I'm too old, thought, maybe the brand new German supermen need no water at all, feeding on German military glory alone. - cackled Popeliucka.

He opened the cupboard standing in the corner of the room and took a bottle. The label was in Ukrainian, with a note attached to it by the Corps translator : "Ukrainian Vodka. The best I could find in the area, General". Popeliucka sighed and poured himself a glass.

Last edited:
This Oberst Von Flegel have quite dangerous ideas...maybe one week on the frontline would change his mind.
Popeliucka is right, war is hell...

screensave9.png

As you can see, Entente managed to crush Centroamerican Syndicalist state and are now thinking of what to do with Syndicalist Brasil and Bolivia, which joined Internationale. More on the situation once the Osteuropean War is over.

zurfront.png

June 4, 1941.
Balta, Ukraine.

...A Kübelwagen car coloured in Lithuanian camo dashed in the middle of the ruined Balta and eventually stopped outside the Headquarters.

General Skucas, commander of the Corps that was battling for Odessa, jumped out of the car, grabbed some papers from the backseat and hurried inside the building.

- General! General! We've got an emergency!

Popeliucka emptied his vodka in a single gulp.
- Yes, Skucas? What's wrong? What happened?
Von Flegel stood up, alert by another General entering the HQ.
Skucas ran inside the room, swept everything off the table and unrolled a map.

42711841.jpg

The Mitteleuropean Alliance used a map of Ukraine compiled back in 1890. Forty years later, the maps were still reliable, as the Hetmanate government didn't build a lot in the cities, trying to decentralize the industry.

- General, we've cleared out all the Ukrainians in the city. They had over six divisions, following the bombardments and the subsequent battle the remaining 15,000 Ukrainians surrendered. But we cannot secure the city!
- Why? - wondered von Flegel.
- It's Romanians!
- Who?
- Romanians! Yes, I know it sounds weird, but a Romanian force entered the city by sea yesterday and now they've occupied the whole harbour and several other areas of the city! And we don't know how many of them are in the city, but there are Romanian ships at the anchorage.
- And they're not going to move, are they?
- Of course not. We've yelled at them, but they shot in response. I've ordered my men to hold their fire, General, until I inform you.

romaniansoldiersstaling.jpg

Popeliucka checked the map again. Almost a quarter of the city was in Romanian hands.
- The hell happened, Skucas? - asked von Flegel.
- Uh, and you are?
- Oberst von Flegel, General's advisor. Sent today from Saxony, sir.
- Oh. Well, it seems that Romanians thought the Ukrainian War was just random slicing of the country between everyone able, so they occupied the back of Odessa while all the Ukrainians were facing us at the outskirts of the city.

- You think we could beat them? - asked Popeliucka.
- Yes, I believe so, sir. I've had the tanks encircle the harbour, so if the fighting erupts, we'll beat them in no time. Well, they do have artillery and those three destroyers in the bay are also worrying me, but we'll cope, now that the fighting's over in Odessa I can send everyone to deal with them. They couldn't have transported an army here overnight, could they?
- I still don't think this is a decision for me to make, Skucas - replied Popeliucka, concerned.
- Of course it isn't! - yelled von Flegel. Romania may be a silly no-good dictatorship, but it's still a country we're not at war with! Hell, Germany doesn't want any Balkan entanglements, this would cause a major crisis!
- We can always say they started first. This rule always worked and will work in the new millenium just as fine, I assure you - Popeliucka shrugged.
- General, you cannot take such responsibility! Noone but the head of state can!
- No, I can't, but I'm not losing Odessa to Romanian punks. Or any punks, for that matter. We still have telephone, I'll call Vilnius and check. Wait for me here, you two.

General Popeliucka walked into the other room, where the telephone stood. He took the receiver.
- Give me Vilnius, please, The General Staff. It's an emergency.

A minute later General Sikorski answered on the other end of the line.
- All ears, General Popeliucka. What's going on there?
- General, we've almost taken Odessa, but a Romanian force landed in the harbour of the city and isn't going anywhere despite our threats. Requesting permission to take them out. We have the required manpower in the area, chances of losing the whole city to them are minimal.
- Romanians?
- Yes, sir. I believe they didn’t issue any diplomatic warnings or papers about this situation?
- No, they never did, Klemensas. What jerks.
- Well, what am I to do?
- I guess we’ll have to ask the only person who can order such kind of things as attacking another country’s army…His Majesty. Hang on, General.

The phone went silent, and rang a minute later.

- Good evening, General. This is King Mindaugas speaking.

Popeliucka gasped. His Majesty? Himself? Why not just tell Sikorski what to pass on to him?
Oh my. Oh my.
He cleared his throat.
- Your Majesty, it is an honor to be speaking with you. General P-p-popeliucka on the line.
- Do not stutter, General, your glory outshines mine. Ritual aside, what’re we dealing with?
- Romanians, sir. They’ve occupied half the Odessa and refuse to leave the city.
- Unfathomable! So eine Schweinerei! Why would they do that?
- Well, I think they want Odessa for themselves, Your Majesty.
- This goes without saying, General. Odessa is the only seaport worth a damn we’re getting with this Warsaw Treaty, Cossacks get Crimea and Germany won’t allow us take it instead. Therefore, Odessa is a city of immense strategic value and is destined to hold the newborn Lithuanian Navy.
- Lithuanian Na-a-avy…

General Popeliucka imagined gigantic, steel dreadnoughts with crimson Lithuanian banners hanging off the boards, steam, the roar…
- Yes, General, don’t get carried away. Hear my order: Eliminate everything, you hear me, everything that stands between Lithuanians and Odessa. If God himself sends angels to prevent you from taking the city, make them taste Lithuanian lead!
- Understood, Your Majesty! Shall be done!
- Go and shoot them, Popeliucka! – roared the King and slammed the receiver.

Popeliucka found himself once again in the semi-silent Headquarters, but his brain was drawing pictures of Lithuanian battleships. Lord, this would be a day…he should be an Admiral, he thought.

Von Flegel was walking to and fro nervously , while Skucas found General’s vodka and seemed to be enjoying it a lot.
- So, what did they say? What did they say?
- Well – said Popeliucka – I’ve just been talking to King Mindaugas himself. He gave me direct orders to attack Romanians. Skucas, hands off the bottle, get back to the field and teach those bastards a lesson.
- B-but, wait! You have to call the Mitteleuropean Oberkommando! The High Staff!
- I don’t , Oberst. My King gave me the order. It’s his responsibility know.

Von Flegel wiped the sweat off his forehead.
- General, I demand you call Berlin immediately! German affairs are to be decided by Germans, not some backwater King!
- Watch your language! – screamed Skucas, drunk and facing a different direction than von Flegel was in.
- I don’t see the problem, Oberst – said Popeliucka. We can crush those jerks in the harbour on our own. We don’t need German planes for this kind of situation, therefore, it’s not a German call.

Von Flegel went red with rage.
- General, this is completely unbelievable! Mitteleuropa won’t stand for this outrageous adventure of yours, Popeliucka! I’m calling Berlin.
- So, that’s the price of your Nitzschean bravery and supermanship?
- Forget philosophy, General! I canot be an adviser to idiots, I’m calling Berlin.

Von Flegel straightened his back and went to the telephone room.
General Popeliucka followed him, pulling out his pistol.
- It’s a pity, Oberst, but I cannot let you call Berlin, or even your parents, who I think, are ashamed of their son.
The German turned around.
- What? You’re going to shoot me?! Shoot a German Offizier?!
- I have orders to shoot the angels if they stand between me and Odessa. I hope you'll never return, Oberst.

Popeliucka closed his eyes, gathered all the bravery he had and shot, then again. Von Flegel tried to grip the telephone table, but failed and fell down.

The General’s hands were shivering, his heart pounded, as if it wanted to rip its way out of the uniform.

The shot awoke the German bodyguards, who ran into the main room, grabbed their guns, and looked at General Skucas, who was scared and already completely sober, although in the same position as when he heard the shot – sitting with a bottle.
The General walked into the room and shot at the soldiers.

Blam, blam, blam! Blam. – said the General’s Luger.

Skucas looked at the Germans lying in their own blood at the dirty Headquarters floor. He turned his head to Popeliucka, who seized the vodka bottle and drank what remained of the drink.
- His Majesty…told me to, Skucas. – whispered the General, out of breath and still shivering.
- But…what are we going to tell the Germans now?
- It’s…it’s simple. You get into their car, drive it to the no man’s land, and then give the coordinates for our artillery. Noone will find out. And noone else saw the Germans, except from you and me.
- A…Allright, sir.
- I did it for Lithuania, Skucas – Popeliucka said. – And if you say anything to anyone, I’ll kill you for Lithuania too. Now get lost!

Skucas stood up, looked at the bodies, and felt nauseous at once.
- No, General, you can’t call for help in carrying the bodies. Do some physical work yourself, once in a century. Call the watchman off for some errand…

Popeliucka sat into the armchair and looked at von Flegel’s cap. He breathed deeply until his heartbeat went back to normal, and opened the drawer. When was the last time he shot a man? 1916? Trying to calm his hands, he took out a sheet of paper and a pencil.

“Dear Marta – he wrote, struggling to scribble each word -
We have taken Odessa. It was hard, much harder than Kiev, unexpectedly. But we did it. We did it for Lithuania. For Poland. For Galizia. For White Ruthenia and for any other area the Commonwealth will include in the years to come. And I’m not going to let any godless idiot out here stop us in our quest. Even Romanians. I barely know anything about Romanians, but unless they’re God’s own angels, we’ll shoot them and clear the way. I’m not shooting angels. Ever.

Marta, it may be so that you won’t get any letters from me in a long time. Don’t worry, it’ll all pass and I’ll be back home with you and the kids. Just wait a little, allright?”

General looked at his pistol.
No, - he thought, - suicide would be betrayal.

He took his pipe and started stuffing it, his hands still shivering.

Last edited:
To everyone: Glad you all like it.
Is this font better? I personally have trouble with reading huge blocks of text in the default one.

To yxc qwert: Romania declared war on Ukraine a day prior to Odessa falling to Lithuanian tanks. Therefore, this. :D