• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 4: Holding our Own

After all the action of the War of Burgundian Succession, Enrique had hoped to merely take what was left of Granada and let his kingdom settle down for a while. The King had gained much in these past few wars and his goals seemed all the more possible. As the armies marched home from the Italian campaign, King Enrique decided it was time the government started working harder to reach these goals. Enrique ordered that all soldiers would go through extensive training and military drills to maintain a strong military.

aar15.jpg

Seems appropriate for our goals​

Shortly after returning and reinforcing, Castille's forces moved south to Granada. War was quickly announced and Granada fell in only a few months. This time though, Enrique wanted to take some land in Morocco. Our forces would board the ships and head off to Africa where they would attempt to take Tangiers and Ceuta in the name of Castille.

aar16.jpg

An not a single Reconquista mission​

As our forces marched to the ships to load up, a messenger delivered a horrible announcement.

aar17.jpg

Couldn't have picked a worse time​

Our forces, all in southern Iberia, had to make a complete U-turn. The plans for North Africa were cut off, and troops had to be redistributed. The war brought our alliance against that of France which included her vassals, Scotland, Hainaut, and Portugal. Our forces marched west toward Portugal at first, hoping a quick victory there might yield a province or two. But, before our forces even made it to Portugal, they were met by an equally large Portuguese army of 6K. In the meantime four 2K man Portuguese armies were besieging western Castille. England was held up with a large 10K man Scottish army in Northumberland, preventing them from attacking on the continent. Hainaut had moved 12K men into Burgundy's holdings, to which burgundy could not match easily. France had moved to attack our and England's holdings in southern France, and also moved troops into Lower Burgundy.

Enrique saw no hope for gains against Portugal. A white peace was signed with Morocco, and we struggled to control the forces Portugal attacking our provinces. To make matters worse, 6K Sunni heathens rose in revolt in Gibraltar. Things were grave. After many month's of splitting our forces between the Sunni rebels and Portuguese invaders, things were only getting worse. France had control of the whole of Lower Burgundy and all our French holdings, and were moving into Aragon.

In what could easily be described as a miracle, Scotland's forces were defeated by none other than English peasants in revolt. Scotland's army was decimated, left with a mere 4K men. English forces mopped up what was left of them, and in a few day's time, Scotland agreed to a white peace. This was the turning point. England's armies soon made their way to the mainland to counter France. Not, only that, but they stationed two 3K man armies in Portugal, both of which quickly finished their sieges. Portugal signed a peace for 50 ducats shortly after and our forces could then focus on retaking France.

All 18K men in Castille's forces were now taking back southern France. Burgundy, largely ignoring the losses at home, had taken a few France's holdings with their 14K man army. England, in what could only be described as glorious, launched an amphibious assault on Gascogne involving some 20K soldiers. Our forces had largely reversed the French gains, and began to move into our enemies lands. England proceeded to run conquer the center of France with little opposition. We took the remainder of France's southern lands under our control.

aar18.jpg

France is a mess right now​

France at this point must have seen defeat coming. They sent more white peace offers than imaginable, and few pathetic offers of 20 ducats. No, that would not do. Castille's forces pressed on. We undid the invasion of Burgundy and England took back most of their land plus a heap of French lands. Then, in late 1412, we managed to get an acceptable peace with France.

aar19.jpg

We only get bigger​

Our troops returned home after the two and a half years of war in France. A few minor rebellions in our French holdings and another large Sunni rebellion were all put down and our realm returned to a state of peace once more. Hopefully now the French understood that Castille was not a minor player anymore.

aar20.jpg

We're not doing too bad​

comagoosie said:
And don't know about you, but France picked the worst time!! :D
Second best time, actually. Best would have been after those Castillian soldiers had landed in Morocco. Unfortunately for them, Scotland fell to English rebels and Castille was run by a deserving human.

-Pat

I can't wait until you partition France between Burgundy, England, and Castille!!!

:D

EUROO7 said:
I can't wait until you partition France between Burgundy, England, and Castille!!!

:D
The whole time I was afraid England would just take what they could and leave me high and dry in the middle of France. Luckily they wanted to win their siege at Paris before signing any peace.

Dafool said:
The whole time I was afraid England would just take what they could and leave me high and dry in the middle of France. Luckily they wanted to win their siege at Paris before signing any peace.

What did they get? I didn't see them gain anything.

Dafool said:
England came out with nothing more than a high land tradition. :p
That is always good news!!! :D

Funny thing is, England is essentially the only western nation right now who could beat me one on one. They have some 30K troops somehow. But, the nice thing is that they have similar interests to mine. They keep France in check and they have been handing out excommunications to the French minors like candy.

Dafool said:
Funny thing is, England is essentially the only western nation right now who could beat me one on one. They have some 30K troops somehow. But, the nice thing is that they have similar interests to mine. They keep France in check and they have been handing out excommunications to the French minors like candy.

Well, just don't let them get too strong, you will have to fight them eventually.

Chapter 5: Uniting the Crowns

King Enrique, content with his current conquests decided that Castille deserved some true peace. The Sunni rebellions, although frequent and annoying, posed little threat. Out French possessions had not once attempted revolt since their incorporation into the crown. Many years passed with little of importance happening. Other than an increase in all of Castille's technology, the kingdom sat quiet for nearly ten years. But, it was not the same elsewhere. A cold war of sorts went on in the north. Guyenne, a recently independent French state, stuck between English held French land and France herself, had been been the battleground. England, the ever constant curia control, had excommunicated them and thus made them a large target for other nations seeking conquest, namely it's previous owner, France. Both England and France guaranteed Guyenne's independence thus giving them both the right to go to war if either attacked Guyenne. In early 1422, France declared war on them, and in effect England too. England, while one the strongest nations in western Europe, was unable to stand alone against France's alliance while Guyenne, their only ally in this war, was quickly absorbed by France.

aar21.jpg

England's not doing too well​

Enrique, alarmed that the English might be kicked off the mainland, sent for a diplomat, who was to deliver a message to the English king. "But, your majesty, I can not do that" answered the messenger. "And why might that be?" asked the king. "Why my king, have you not heard? The king of England has recently died in battle. Word reached our capital just this morning. In fact they brought a confidential message to you about it." The king received the letter and read it with a look of amazement. "Send a message to ready our troops" he ordered.

aar22.jpg

Can you say "Enrique III, King of Castille, England, and Burgundy?"​

The War of English Succession had begun. Once again, the Italians objected to a union with the Castilian crown. This time, Savoy was the sole opponent. Our troops stationed in our French holding quickly marched east and began to besiege our enemy's provinces. Sadly, our French subjects were greatly upset by all the war in the area and an army of 12K nationalists rose up in Toulouse, with another 6K nationalists rising up in Provence. In the meantime, England had managed to secure some sort of peace with the French, although no borders were changed. Savoy quickly fell to our armies and an excellent peace deal was negotiated. Shortly after the peace was signed, Burgundy, being a great ally, walked in and cleaned up our rebel problem with great ease.

aar23.jpg

Not bad if you ask me​

Enrique, now the King over three of the most powerful kingdoms in Europe, knew that great things were in store for Castille. Should his successors inherit these lands, Castille would form the majority of Western Europe. Yes, great things were sure to come at this rate.

aar24.jpg

This is what Europe currently looks like​

:eek:

Arriba España!

swippy said:
Heh...that's so Habsburg-ish :D

I agree, the Habsburgs would be proud!

Now you just need to inherit them... :D

Inheriting both nations would be insane... you would be the most powerful state in Europe by far. Hope that happens.

And I thought I was lucky getting a PU with Bohemia and Milan in my last game as Austria! Though in that game Muscowy inherited Poland who had inherited Lithuania... not a fun neighbour to have even with cordial relations ^^

Another thing I forgot to mention:

You should start worrying about those rebellions in England, it could lower your future inheritance.

I suggest keeping an army on the island, just to be safe. :)

I've definitely been keeping an eye on England. They seem to be doing OK at squashing those rebellions. Heck, they do it better with theirs than I do with mine now that I think about it.