• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Incompetent

Euroweenie in Exile
61 Badges
Sep 22, 2003
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
1. Add an auto-modding category for jobs that produce defence armies of their own species (i.e. Soldier/Enforcer). This can give Integrated Weaponry for the cyborg/machine version, Resilient for the basic bio version and Juiced Power for the Overtuned version. (The % army damage on Integrated Weaponry could be turned down a bit to not make this too strong.)

2. Have a "none of the above" category for unemployed pops and pops whose job doesn't make any of the resources covered by auto-modding. This could give, for example, Durable for cyborgs/machines, Conservationist for basic bio and Low Maintenance for Overtuned.

3. Some trait effects don't do anything if the pop is assimilated by a Gestalt empire. Meanwhile, Deviancy is a thing in Gestalt empires, but at the moment it has basically no interaction with the trait system (and is very flat in general, unlike non-Gestalt Crime). I suggest (partially) addressing both of these by having some traits double up as Deviancy traits for Gestalt. For example:
Trait that gives +/- government ethics attraction or +/- happiness -> some -/+% Deviancy if the pop is a Gestalt drone
Trait that gives "can only do basic jobs, not affected by Happiness" -> halved Deviancy (or no Deviancy?) if the pop is a Gestalt drone.
CG upkeep traits could give amenity usage effects instead. (The other kind of traits that are irrelevant for Gestalts are trade traits; don't have any ideas for these at the moment.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be nice if the automodding traits got the rough edges sanded off like this (a trait for every job, and some safe default if there's nothing else), and also got made a tad weaker overall in return (so that there'd be at least some reason to consider the other traits.

I kinda assumed e.g. Integrated Weaponry was added specifically for automodding, with soldier/enforcer jobs. Does it not get applied?

It would be nice if the automodding traits got the rough edges sanded off like this (a trait for every job, and some safe default if there's nothing else), and also got made a tad weaker overall in return (so that there'd be at least some reason to consider the other traits.

I kinda assumed e.g. Integrated Weaponry was added specifically for automodding, with soldier/enforcer jobs. Does it not get applied?

Not according to the wiki, and I certainly haven't seen it applied to my (non-Gestalt) machine Enforcers. I'm guessing the devs thought it would be too effective at making defence armies strong without a special investment (realistically, you're only going to actively invest in army traits for defence armies if it's a fortress colony).

Maybe there's also a technical issue with assault army recruitment? Every pop of a species eligible for military service can raise 1 assault army, regardless of their job, and while you can pick the subspecies, there's no obvious way to favour the pops that have certain auto-traits. I understand why it's set up this way, but if we're going to have army traits on pops, I kind of wish we had two classes of species-based assault armies: weaker assault armies who are "conscripts" and recruited as now, and advanced assault armies (i.e. Gene Warriors etc) with very high stats but they are "professionals", meaning they can only be recruited from military/enforcement pops. (You'd also have to rein in Xenomorphs and Mega Warforms somehow, to make sure elite pop-based armies actually continue to serve a purpose in the game.) I get that ground battles themselves are very simplified in Stellaris and for good reason, but the grand strategist in me wants to see a more interesting logistical aspect to summoning an invasion force.

Trait that gives +/- government ethics attraction or +/- happiness -> some -/+% Deviancy if the pop is a Gestalt drone

You want the Deviants trait to affect Deviancy?!

Yeah it's a bit on the nose, isn't it?

• 1Haha
Reactions: