• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
James Mason said:
It would be fun to have a button near "Promote" and "Remove" where you could "Eliminate" certain leaders if they screw up royally (well, I suppose they don't really screw up without our help, but s**t flows downhill...) or if you just don't like them (adios, "General" Himmler).

Perhaps exile them to a colony in Africa or something where they will just wither away or get conquered...
Being able to permanently remove a leader from service would be good, yes, but only Paradox can add that button.

maartenr said:
Could someone make a file how to remove old guard in mine case Germany, i really would appriciate it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thats what this whole topic is about

Sorry i dont understand it it reverse too a German website, could you place a file with it and dont with text to show as you can see all over.
To place the file isnt so difficult isnt it. :mad:
I mean can you give me a file with a trigger for the old guard.

Last edited:
You know, it would be better to just remove the 'Old Guard' in the leader profile so you have those leaders, but they are NOT 'Old Guard' (ironically, the Old Guard was the élite of the french army for Napoleon ...)

Question: If I decide to terminate my old guard leaders will the game promote leaders with similar skill to the ranks to fill it up?

IE: If I have a skill 4 Old Guard/Logistics wizard General and purge him, will the game attempt to promote a leader with 4 skill too, or does it just grab whatever it can?

If it's the latter is there a quick way to remove useful old guard leaders (high skill generals/field marshals or those with other traits beyond old guard) for use in rear guard troops? (home guard units for instance, or anti-partisan troops)

Walter Model said:
You know, it would be better to just remove the 'Old Guard' in the leader profile so you have those leaders, but they are NOT 'Old Guard' (ironically, the Old Guard was the élite of the french army for Napoleon ...)
Now there's an event that could be easy to write

if oldguard = 1 then make oldguard = 0 or something? I don't know if that would be possible, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier than an event per country.

Fiestacat said:
Question: If I decide to terminate my old guard leaders will the game promote leaders with similar skill to the ranks to fill it up?

IE: If I have a skill 4 Old Guard/Logistics wizard General and purge him, will the game attempt to promote a leader with 4 skill too, or does it just grab whatever it can?
If you remove any OG rank 1 general (full General) the game will compensate by promoting a rank 2 general (Lt. General) to rank 1 ONLY if you have enough land divisions. In vanilla DD 1.3 the rank 1 ratio is 0.0740, meaning that you get ONE promotion from rank 2 to rank 1 per 1/0.0740≈14 land divisions. So, if you have two rank 1 generals and kill one but have less than 28 divisions you will NOT get a new one by automatic promotion. Note that leaders only get auto promotions if their historical year for that rank has been reached.

Fiestacat said:
If it's the latter is there a quick way to remove useful old guard leaders (high skill generals/field marshals or those with other traits beyond old guard) for use in rear guard troops? (home guard units for instance, or anti-partisan troops)
Do you mean that you wish to keep a select few good OG generals? Yes, that can be done.

Fiestacat said:
Now there's an event that could be easy to write

if oldguard = 1 then make oldguard = 0 or something? I don't know if that would be possible, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier than an event per country.
You cannot add/remove leader traits by event.

maartenr said:
Could someone make a file how to remove old guard in mine case Germany, i really would appriciate it.
If you want to use the event, just copy the full event-text from the first post in this thread, open any event-file in the HOI2\db\events-directory, paste the event, save the file and there you are! :)

If anyone is interrested i have changed the trigger a bit.

###############################################
# sleep old guard Germany id = 52980
###############################################
event = { id = 52980 random = no country = GER persistent = yes

trigger = {
or = {
and = { ai = yes
or = { war = { country = GER country = ENG }
war = { country = GER country = FRA }
war = { country = GER country = USA }
war = { country = GER country = SOV }
war = { country = GER country = JAP }
war = { country = GER country = ITA }
}
}
ai = no
and = { day = 1
not = { day = 2 }
month = january
not = { month = february }
}
}
}
name = "Germany's old guard resigns."
desc = "Facing a new era the old generals resigned to give room for newer ideas."

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 360
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1953 }

This way it only triggers for the AI when it goes to war, So hopefully the AI can get some benefit from all the Log wiz, old guards before the war and have them removed when at war to give the AI a better likelyhood of using good generals.

For human it triggers once a year so the player can choose when its time to get rid of the old farts. And not only at scenario start. There is offcourse a sleepevent command in action_a if the player chooses to retire them

Graymane said:
How do I keep OG generals but remove the OG trait?
Match the general IDs in the sleep-file with those of the generals listed in the leaders-file for the country in question, and remove 512 from the value in the traits-column. :)

Graymane said:
You mean subtract 512? I want to keep whatever traits they had besides OG. For now, what I did was just use that editor that comes with DD and changed them all that way.
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for being unclear, it was a poor choice of words... :eek:o

Jerry_03 said:
does this event work with Armageddon?

any chance of making a sleep event for USA's old guards? i know theres only a few US OG's but i dont like cluttered things :p
Yes it does... :)

I'll make one, just a sec...

here you go:
Code:
# sleep old guard USA

event = {
	id = 9000002
	random = no
	country = USA
	name = "USA's old guard resigns."
	desc = "Facing a new era the old generals resigned to give room for newer ideas."
	style = 0
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 } 
	offset = 1
	deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1946 }

action_a = {
		name = "It's time to resign."
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60028 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60051 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60061 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60070 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60135 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60147 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60173 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60218 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60228 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60243 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60268 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60279 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60299 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60340 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60429 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60431 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60458 }
		command = { type = sleepleader which = 60513 }
	}
}
make sure that the event ID is unique... :)