• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wouldnt be so sure about an African Colonial Empire, would just take too long to research the techs to get that far, while reclaiming the America's would be full of wars and other good stuff. And besides, you already start out with a stepping stone into the America's... Cuba.

Yes, you're definitely right about that. The techs would be especially difficult given Spain's low literacy relative to places like France and the UK. So I think maybe I'll just pursue a little of both, should I decide on Spain. The other question is whether I let the Carlists win or not.

Yes, you're definitely right about that. The techs would be especially difficult given Spain's low literacy relative to places like France and the UK. So I think maybe I'll just pursue a little of both, should I decide on Spain. The other question is whether I let the Carlists win or not.

Now that is the really important decision for a begining Spanish AAR. Which ever you choose, the Carlist Rebellion (?) would make a great few begining chapters

I would suggest you an AAR about Austria or even about released nation as Poland or Hungary. Like the Carlist, they may have great few begining chapters (if the countries are released via rebellion), but will have probably better starting technologies. And they're only few related AAR, that's always interesting!

Austria was another nation I thought of, but it seems like it would be too focused on either forming Grobdeutschland or preventing Italy from forming. And it doesnt have competition for its GP spot for some time, while Spain almost always loses its GP spot in the first few years, which would be a good thing to try to combat in a AAR

Austria was another nation I thought of, but it seems like it would be too focused on either forming Grobdeutschland or preventing Italy from forming. And it doesnt have competition for its GP spot for some time, while Spain almost always loses its GP spot in the first few years, which would be a good thing to try to combat in a AAR

In terms of what I could do with Austria, I've always wanted to try to pursue the Austro-Hungarian path to domination of the Balkans, which is certainly something I've not seen in an AAR.

In terms of what I'm thinking of doing, I have 4 scenarios (I should say countries with certain goals) in mind, which I'll list alphabetically:

1) Austria - Generally pursue a path of industrialization until I can form Austria-Hungary, then start gobbling up the Balkans. I would also probably try to create a medium sized African Empire.
2) Denmark - Create a major colonial empire with Denmark, while also retaining a powerful monarchy.
3) Persia - Civilize and become a GP, while retaining the absolute monarchy.
4) Spain - Re-conquer some of the American colonies, build a respectable African empire, and become a major (top 5) industrial power.

Any would be good, but my vote would be for Persia. I'd like to see what you do with Russian/Ottoman Empires.

Just played a few years as Persia and I'm going to cross it off the list. Actually not too hard to avoid war with Russia, but that's sort of the problem in terms of an AAR -- first few chapter wouldn't be too interesting.

So I'm down to Spain, Austria, and Denmark.

I would go with Spain or Denmark. Austria just has too much potential to remain strong with the player in control, while with Spain or Denmark, there is not much going from them and so perfect for an AAR, what with the wars with Austria and Prussia for Denmark and possible wars with the US and France for Spain

ya, I think you have to try ole weak Denmark against big bad Great Power of Europe! The way you'll try to survive to a highly probable germanic assault will certainly be very interesting...

Just got through playing to 1841ish with both of them. Each is quite fun, but I think I'll go with Denmark since the Danish monarchs of the time period are significantly more interesting than the Spanish ones and, more generally, it would just be neater to have a GP Denmark.

Into will be up either this evening or tomorrow morning.