• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whoooo, great work, looks like the spainish are a bit power hungry thier

Well, Scotland failed to deliver IRL :p
Subbed

Go Scotland! I wonder if "liberating" Ireland is an option at some point...

@Zorro: Thank you. Although Scotland has now reached great power status, I am only barely so and could fall in the rankings at any moment. Thus I still have a long way to go to secure my position.

@Jacobi-99: They sure are. It is unfortunate they they now have colonies established in Africa close to mine, which means we will likely end up competing over the same lands with one another.

@Kaisersohaib: For now at least. We can't rule out the possibility of an armed rebellion in the future. ;)

@NapoleonComple: I can reveal as much that it has been on my 'to do list' for a long while, but I haven't gotten around to giving a hand to the Irish quite yet due to other commitments. Still plenty of time though...

You need a border with some other GP like France that will want you in its sphere and than the uk and France will duke it out with their influence trying to get you all while you just become a GP AGAIN

@Jacobi-99: If I will fall... ;)

@spiller68: Thank you. I can guarantee you all that things will get more interesting and hectic at a point. The beginning is always slow for a growing country like Scotland.

Also, just to let you all know, I am moving back to my uni tomorrow, so I probably won't post new updates until Monday or Tuesday. Have a nice weekend everyone! :)

Very interesting updates and fantastic pathway to GP status. I would get tariffs down to 0 though - they absolutely kill your economy! Better to have taxes a little higher in my opinion.

Navy - very impressive how advanced you seem to be already, is this some kind of bonus from having been part of the UK?

Why in such a hurry to enact voting reforms? I always try to hold back on them as long as possible, not least because of the rubbish CB generation that is the result of it. I also try to hold back on Ideological Thought until at least after the 1848 turmoil.

Good luck with your return to uni :)

No Union Jacks over Scotland? It's ... So .... Beautiful .... *wipes tear from eye*

@1anrs: I must admit I'm not too familiar with the specifics of V2's economy. How do tariffs kill my economy? I am hardly ever able to stay on positive income without having heavy tariffs active. As for the navy, this could be so. It's my first game in V2 in a long while and I can't remember how advanced average navies are at this point, nonetheless I had a steamer factory and UK's naval techs at the beginning of independence. The voting reforms; I don't know really, I just felt like passing them. No harm done thus far, have been rather pleased with the election results part from a couple of occasions! And I have had notoriously few rebellions at hand.

@Tommy4ever: It will get better than that, just you wait... ;)

@Buckingham: Thank you.

A little update on my situation: I still don't have internet, which was supposed to be installed today but some problems arose, so I will have to put this on hold for a few more days at least. I'll give you the next update as soon as I have a working and stable connection.

Chapter VII

emPNNVK.jpg

After rising to a Great Power status I finally managed to turn in a hefty profit of nearly £300 a day and was able to quickly pay off my £18000 debt. First things first, the Scottish parliament - motivated by their recent surge in status and prestige - outlined a major goal for the immediate future; the building of a Grand Canal across the narrow point in Egypt's Sinai region. Leading engineers of the country were of the opinion that such would be technologically possible within the next few years time, and thus Egypt became a crucial partner in Scottish diplomacy.

In order to showcase the cordial Scottish-Egyptian relations in the eyes of the international community and to bolster Scottish presence in the country, a major treaty was signed between the two nations that allowed for Scottish archaeologist an unhindered access to excavate local ruins and ancient sites, and to ship any artefacts of considerable importance to Edinburgh for further investigations for an indefinite period.

In other news, my research on Nationalism and Imperialism was finished in May 1855, after which I set my next focus on Cheap Iron to boost the already high output of Coal.

OboZOCX.jpg

Elsewhere, Scottish diplomacy was not as successful as in Egypt. Several attempts to increases relations with Portugal and to bring the two nations closer to one another were hindered and upset by British influence in the country, though Scottish diplomats nonetheless remained slowly and steadily increasing their reputation in the eyes of Portuguese elite.

x7LtH4U.jpg

Scotland was also attempting to influence the less-powerful nations across the English Channel, believing that their friendship could prove to be crucial in the future. In Belgium, Scottish influence was constantly upset and hindered by the sheer magnitude of French and British money that kept flowing into the country, making it unwise for the Belgian government to lend their ear to other nations that these two powerhouses might come to see as competitors for influence in Brussels. Thus it was agreed - in conjunction with Scottish industrialist - to invest in building a paper factory in Belgium. The building of it was finally commenced on 3rd of March, 1856.

ds2g314.jpg

Having completed their research in 'Cheap Iron,' Scottish scientists next set their wise mind on finding ways to improve the efficiency of industrial machinery.

MDUssRS.jpg

In July - after heavy pressure and influence from leading maritime powers - Korea has finally agreed to grant foreigners free entry into their ports and markets.

NWNnwss.jpg

But the most shocking news came a few days after, when France suddenly declared war on Spain over the fate of Catalonia. Whatever made the French believe that Catalans would be happier under their rule remains unclear, but the conflict soon escalated to include several major players in the European scene.

YTGLWez.jpg

From all of France's major allies all but Russia joined in on the conflict on their side.

XDXDugC.jpg

It remains to be seen what might be the outcome of this war, though for now things look grim for the Spanish side.​

-----------------------------------------

I still have no internet, but it seems my mobile networks is strong enough to upload images and post updates, so I will now keep the coming. :)

You should intervene in some of these wars around you, if only to show off the rapid development of Scottish might. A little glorious war never hurt anyone... well, maybe your enemies, but you get the idea.

Staying in the ranks of the great powers may grow more difficult as various new contenders arise (Italy and Japan come to mind), but with skilled play, you should be just fine.

I would not like to be controlling Spain right now.

Great AAR so far! When I saw the Brits had sphered you I thought your quest was more or less done - good to see you were able to break free.

@1anrs: I must admit I'm not too familiar with the specifics of V2's economy. How do tariffs kill my economy? I am hardly ever able to stay on positive income without having heavy tariffs active.

Basically, I noticed that your taxes were lower and your tariffs were high. This is the opposite of what you want it to be.

At the beginning of the game you can be safe having taxes at 100% (although I tend to only do this for the poor) because tax efficiency is so abysmal that they will not be paying that anyway. Later in the game as tax efficiency increases and you research the techs that bring you more tax and income from industry, you will want to decrease them to avoid militancy but at the beginning it is fine. You can see what the tax efficiency is when you hover over the slider - it could be as awful as 23%. What that means is that their effective tax rate is 23% even though the official tax rate is 100%

Tariffs on the other hand affect your imports. That means that not only are the pops life needs taxed by the tariff making them more out of reach, it means the artisans and factories will find their materials much more expensive and it therefore absolutely ruins your economy. As I said, I always try to keep them at 0% other than if I am in a really long-lasting war and need to stop my economy from completely crashing and burning. Even right at the beginning I keep them at 0% if I am able to.

... The voting reforms; I don't know really, I just felt like passing them. No harm done thus far, have been rather pleased with the election results part from a couple of occasions! And I have had notoriously few rebellions at hand.

Yes, the lack of rebellions would be a plus that's true.

@Zorro: Yes, those blasted Britons. We ought to send some gunboats to teach them a lesson and... :angry: Oh wait.

@InvisibleSandwi: Plenty of intervening and trampling on smaller nations' sovereignty is about to follow in the near future, as you will find out.

@NapoleonComple: I'm sure the Spanish government would agree with you. :D

@CatKnight: Thanks, and welcome aboard! For a relatively small country such as Scotland, hiking up the prestige is often the only realistic means of reaching a Great Power status and escaping eternal spheredom.

@1anrs: Thanks a lot for that very informative lesson. I will definitely try to lower my tariffs in the future. No wonder I always thought my industry to lack behind other nations'. I knew that tariffs affect imports but I had always assumed it to be negligible.

Chapter VIII

160q62p.jpg

As a result of Scotland's rising status amongst the civilized nations, the Scottish people started becoming increasingly conscious of religious and ethical issues - moralism is on the rise in the country and the ruling Conservative Party is nodding approvingly.

F8Dww8q.jpg

In March 1857, the Scottish scientists announced a breakthrough with the invention of interchangeable parts, allowing for the building of more efficient machinery. Meanwhile, Frances attempt at making Catalonia an interchangeable territory is proceeding satisfactorily. Next focus was set on Inorganic Chemistry, for Scottish engineers believed that the invention of 'nitroglycerin' is a vital ingredient for carving the ambitious channel through Egypt.

m7yRDyE.jpg

In April, the Turks launched a yet another war against their Egyptian neighbours, this time over the fate of Jerusalem. Scottish government grew increasingly alarmed at the prospect of the Turks deciding to snatch off the Sinai Peninsula from Egypt while they're at it, preventing the construction of the future canal, the cabinet quickly drafted an emergency plan that involved marching to Cairo and an indefinite occupation of the lands around the Gulf of Suez.

lIAikZi.jpg

The plan was swiftly approved by the parliament and immediately set in action.

w2bKR3y.jpg

The year 1857 also marked the arrival of a potato blight in the Highlands, resulting in a low-intensity famine. the government was futile in its attempts at putting the blame on London for these misfortunes.

MjqgwPk.jpg

January 1858 saw the Scottish army making its landing in Egypt - to the great surprise of the Egyptian government - and the troops quickly advanced and spread across the key provinces of the Sinai Peninsula, preventing the Turks from occupying any areas vital for the future canal. A new election season also took off that year, leading to the Conservative Party retaining their full grasp on power - to no one's surprise.

r2T9Pcz.jpg

Soon after, the scientific community in Scotland rejoiced over their breakthrough in Inorganic Chemistry, and research into the famed and potent 'nitroglycerin' could finally begin. Next in line, the Scottish government decreed that it would be vital for a future colonial power like themselves - based on an island after all - to invest more heavily in naval armaments and to improve the general workings of the Scottish navy, and endorsed a focus on naval research.

xUyivKv.jpg

In January 1859, barely a year after the beginning of the war to save Egypt's vital regions from foreign occupation, Cairo had been secured under Scottish protection and the troops began their steady advancement along the Nile. Meanwhile, the Turks took a peculiar interest in Egypt's vast sand reserves instead, and headed straight off to the deserts with their large contingents of men to die en masse of dehydration. In other developments, a group of Scottish scientists were ecstatic to present their resent breakthroughs in ore roasting processes to the Scottish government, claiming their methods could significantly improve iron production, until they were kindly informed that Scotland does, in fact, not produce any iron at all.

qmUiEsl.jpg

In February that same year, Scotland's international repute took another step upward, as the Netherlands recognized and bowed before Scottish supremacy, vowing to stand as good little vassals by Edinburgh in whatever may arise in the future. An alliance was immediately signed between the two less-than-equal partners, marking the beginning of a springtime for both nations. This can only lead to great wealth and prosperity, and to the everlasting...

LzFWt0p.jpg

Wait - what?​

@Purpleistheblue: Could be, or else simply a fit of madness on their part. They do have a larger army than the Netherlands, but the Netherlands is allied with me as well as with the UK, while Belgium's French allies cannot join the war on their side as they are already at war with the Netherlands over the conquest of Catalonia.

A little question to all of you: is it just me or is the image quality of the pictures on this last page significantly worse than on the previous ones? I do not know whether this is simply the result of viewing this page through a mobile network or due to uploading images through said network. If it is the latter I might need to find wifi hotspots to upload my pictures in the future prior to posting, since I won't have a proper internet until the end of this month.