• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BeyondExpectation

Colonel
16 Badges
Apr 3, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
This is a proposal about how costs would "inflate" based on local wealth.

Why this is both realistic and good for gameplay:

Or, why conquests in Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis often go in the opposite way to real life.

In CK2, the reconquista almost never happens (without player involvement), and rather than Afghanistan based forces invading India, India conquers half of Persia.

Likewise, in EU4, the Manchus don't conquer China, they are conquered by Korea, and if the Timurids collapse, the Mughals have a zero chance of forming.

In one direction - the conquest of poor, peripheral land by rich empires in game when it never happened in reality - this is often talked about. The explanation is that, in game, all land makes one's country stronger, no matter how undeveloped, while this was not the case in reality. The precise cause of this is, I believe, also the reason things like Asturias pushing into the Ummayads and a minor tribe in Afghanistan does not sweep into India in the 16th century; that money is worth the same everywhere on the map.

For example; paying your armies is a constant theme in the EU and CK series, but they are payed almost the same wherever you are. In reality, invading Anatolia as the Finns should be practically free as In real life, the troops main income would be loot. In game, fielding an army as an Arctic empire is monetarily much more difficult than a temperate one of similar military capacity as the Arctic is much poorer, meaning that in a war between the two, the temperate empire has the advantage. But in reality, the Arctic troops would be payed (and satisfied with) much less. Such a war would give great motive for the Arctic empire to take part of the temperate empire, and greatly enhance their own wealth and war-making capabilities, but not the other way around.

It's why China and the Roman Empire payed attackers to avoid them rather than paying their own people to fight them off; the barbarians will be satisfied with a little money (which for them is a lot) while paying your own subjects enough to make being part of the army a satisfying prospect is very expensive. This is further enhanced by the fact that, as the rich country is (or at least seems) a nicer place to live than the poor one, much of the poor country's population will be part of its army with the expectation of settling in the rich one, giving the mongols and goths vast armies compared to China and the Roman Empire.

Wait, you say, difference does regional wealth make at all then? Well, I've illustrated part of the reason already; while holding rich land is unlikely to help with domestic issues, for international purposes like bribing the Pope, paying dowries or hiring condottiere, it pays to be rich.

This, I think, would help gameplay in CK3 or EU5 quite a lot. Aside from the greater historicity, which many people enjoy paradox games for, it would significantly level the playing field both between many starts and along the course of many games, something valuable for multiplayer in the former case and keeping a challenge in the latter.

I know it's very unlikely for even most of this to be adopted; this is mainly to spur a discussion about what would optimize the game and perhaps CK3.

Buildings would all have a base cost, but would have additional cost based on the amount of money the province generates. Levies and ships would work the same way, while title creation and usurpation would have a base cost plus a scaling cost based on income. (Should they have a max cost? I don't know). Most money based events would likewise have a base cost plus a scaling cost, this time based on your richest demese province.

Borrowing from the Jews would have a minimum and maximum amount and would scale based on income, which if it went below the floor or above the ceiling would merely be the floor or ceiling.

Things that would not scale at all include:
  • Mercenaries
  • Bribes/buying favors
  • Ransoms
  • Asking the Pope for money
Any suggestions for improvements or critiques?

I play CK2 much, much more than EU4 so I speak primarily from a CK2 POV, but yes I agree some tweaking could be beneficial in future installments. To be fair though, I think at this stage in CK2's life it's a little late to make such changes as I feel it would alter gameplay that we're used to at too fundamental a level, but I am certainly not opposed for future endeavors.

This is a proposal about how costs would "inflate" based on local wealth.

Why this is both realistic and good for gameplay:

Or, why conquests in Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis often go in the opposite way to real life.

In CK2, the reconquista almost never happens (without player involvement), and rather than Afghanistan based forces invading India, India conquers half of Persia.

Likewise, in EU4, the Manchus don't conquer China, they are conquered by Korea, and if the Timurids collapse, the Mughals have a zero chance of forming.

In one direction - the conquest of poor, peripheral land by rich empires in game when it never happened in reality - this is often talked about. The explanation is that, in game, all land makes one's country stronger, no matter how undeveloped, while this was not the case in reality. The precise cause of this is, I believe, also the reason things like Asturias pushing into the Ummayads and a minor tribe in Afghanistan does not sweep into India in the 16th century; that money is worth the same everywhere on the map.

For example; paying your armies is a constant theme in the EU and CK series, but they are payed almost the same wherever you are. In reality, invading Anatolia as the Finns should be practically free as In real life, the troops main income would be loot. In game, fielding an army as an Arctic empire is monetarily much more difficult than a temperate one of similar military capacity as the Arctic is much poorer, meaning that in a war between the two, the temperate empire has the advantage. But in reality, the Arctic troops would be payed (and satisfied with) much less. Such a war would give great motive for the Arctic empire to take part of the temperate empire, and greatly enhance their own wealth and war-making capabilities, but not the other way around.

It's why China and the Roman Empire payed attackers to avoid them rather than paying their own people to fight them off; the barbarians will be satisfied with a little money (which for them is a lot) while paying your own subjects enough to make being part of the army a satisfying prospect is very expensive. This is further enhanced by the fact that, as the rich country is (or at least seems) a nicer place to live than the poor one, much of the poor country's population will be part of its army with the expectation of settling in the rich one, giving the mongols and goths vast armies compared to China and the Roman Empire.

Wait, you say, difference does regional wealth make at all then? Well, I've illustrated part of the reason already; while holding rich land is unlikely to help with domestic issues, for international purposes like bribing the Pope, paying dowries or hiring condottiere, it pays to be rich.

This, I think, would help gameplay in CK3 or EU5 quite a lot. Aside from the greater historicity, which many people enjoy paradox games for, it would significantly level the playing field both between many starts and along the course of many games, something valuable for multiplayer in the former case and keeping a challenge in the latter.

I know it's very unlikely for even most of this to be adopted; this is mainly to spur a discussion about what would optimize the game and perhaps CK3.

Buildings would all have a base cost, but would have additional cost based on the amount of money the province generates. Levies and ships would work the same way, while title creation and usurpation would have a base cost plus a scaling cost based on income. (Should they have a max cost? I don't know). Most money based events would likewise have a base cost plus a scaling cost, this time based on your richest demese province.

Borrowing from the Jews would have a minimum and maximum amount and would scale based on income, which if it went below the floor or above the ceiling would merely be the floor or ceiling.

Things that would not scale at all include:
  • Mercenaries
  • Bribes/buying favors
  • Ransoms
  • Asking the Pope for money
Any suggestions for improvements or critiques?

For one thing you've suggested a scaling system but not told us which direction it scales in? If I live in a rich country full of building materials is it cheaper for me to build a building or more expensive because workers expect higher pay? If an arctic empire gets cheaper buildings wouldn't that make poorer regions of the map more valuable to develop a demesne in, thus the lets say player byzantine emperor might move his capital demesne to Estonia just for the benefit? or vice versa? Ultimately the problem of scaling income is that building costs increase as levels increase already, so the wealthy capital of Byzantium get the money to develop Constantinople already. The problem isn't that conquering the periphery is valuable, its that its easy, and the AI prioritizes easy wars even for negligible benefit because they are easy.

Further Afghanistan wasn't historically difficult to conquer because it was poor but rather because it was hard to maintain authority in rough terrain. Prior to Mongol conquests, the eastern parts of the Persian empire were quite wealthy compared to their Indian counterparts

For one thing you've suggested a scaling system but not told us which direction it scales in? If I live in a rich country full of building materials is it cheaper for me to build a building or more expensive because workers expect higher pay? If an arctic empire gets cheaper buildings wouldn't that make poorer regions of the map more valuable to develop a demesne in, thus the lets say player byzantine emperor might move his capital demesne to Estonia just for the benefit? or vice versa? Ultimately the problem of scaling income is that building costs increase as levels increase already, so the wealthy capital of Byzantium get the money to develop Constantinople already. The problem isn't that conquering the periphery is valuable, its that its easy, and the AI prioritizes easy wars even for negligible benefit because they are easy.

Further Afghanistan wasn't historically difficult to conquer because it was poor but rather because it was hard to maintain authority in rough terrain. Prior to Mongol conquests, the eastern parts of the Persian empire were quite wealthy compared to their Indian counterparts

It's more expensive because the workers expect higher pay. An arctic empire getting cheaper buildings would make them more valuable to have a demese in in one respect, but the idea would be the much lower income would more than offset that. Conquering the periphery is easy in part because fielding armies is so cheap for a rich empire; this would hopefully resolve that.

It's more expensive because the workers expect higher pay. An arctic empire getting cheaper buildings would make them more valuable to have a demese in in one respect, but the idea would be the much lower income would more than offset that. Conquering the periphery is easy in part because fielding armies is so cheap for a rich empire; this would hopefully resolve that.

But this doesn't address the issue of a E_Byzantium holding d_Thrace and Constantinople for cash money and investing it in some periphery duchy in Russia as the capital duchy/county and investing the gobs of money they get from Greece to pump up this much cheaper to fill county farther out. Would it be a pain to gather your levy sure, but the massive boost to troop totals would reduce factions in general and give a boost to retinue numbers through buildings. Moreover building levels already scale cost significantly, meaning only wealthy empires can build high level building in their demesne.

Furthermore tribals of the arctic region can pull free troops from the air with prestige mimicking this "higher percent of population involved in warfare". The main issue is that these event troops cost flat prestige and not scaled prestige so a small tribal county can't easily use this ability, though I might scale the troops too if prestige were scaled.

Your argument that the periphery is too easy to conquer because troops of rich empires are too plentiful is treating a symptom of a much different issue. Its not that a rich E_Byzantium has too many troops, it both should (I would direct you to this article which has estimates of the size of the imperial army under various epochs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_army) because historically its total levy size at start dates would vary between 50,000-200,000 soldiers which is much in excess of typical troop numbers (in-game 15,000-25,000) and does have one of the largest in-game armies at various start dates. The problem is that getting these troops from Greece to Finland is much too easy! Historically control of the region between the Don and the Volga was extremely difficult because its flat, full of semi-nomadic tribes, resource poor, and has harsh seasonal variances (e.g. Russian winters). However if the count of Chersnon manages to conquer a tribal county in Russia, he has no problem maintaining authority hundreds to thousands of miles from his capital, completely ahistorically.

What the game needs isn't a buff to arctic regions demesne numbers but rather some sort of scalar for holding counties or vassals too far from your capital (and outside de jure empire that way Mallorca stays in effect control of E_Byzantium even if its farther away than a lot of harder to hold nearer counties) that can improve with either tech or laws. This way an E_Francia formed by Charly won't expand too far from natural borders until its managed to improve its governing abilities.

This scalar would probably work like Nomad agitation where upon ruler death the county reverts to independence unless a certain requirement is met. Actually this might be a fantastic anti-blob feature. You could adjust it through government modifiers (i.e. Nomad gets a longer range out side de_jure empires). You could even add a holding building called something like roads/courthouse or something that can stabilize your rule if you have high enough tech level in those counties (like how you have to build a castle in a nomadic county to lock them down) to simulate lower tech areas in the arctic being much harder to hold than say Baghdad for a Byzantine empire.

Do you have a reference for this? As far as I know, Afghanistan was conquered several times in the CK2 era, just never from India.

When we talk about inflation, here's what we need to understand.
1. Money represent amount of real resources you have, value of money depends of <amount of money>/<amount of resources> ratio. Too much resources - they become cheaper (deflation). Too much money - resources become expensive (inflation). All of this also affected by supply/demand.
2. Different countries have different currencies. So everyone agreed to use gold as world currency.
3. Main sources of inflation in country: war (you steal gold), trade (you sell resources for gold), production of gold.
4. Now, in CK2 you don't have production, trade system or anything. Provinces just give you gold. It means, that mechanic is simplified to the point when gold equals real resources you have. Not only that, it represents only real amount of equalized money you, ruler, get *as taxes*. There is no country economy in general, you don't actually know if people are rich or poor and what payment they expect.
5. EU4 has some parts of mechanics listed, but most of those are illusion. There is no supply/demand. In-game "inflation", that comes from gold mines, wars and events, is not real inflation since you don't have national currencies, don't have total amount of gold, resources and balance between them, logistics, prime cost of resources, inflation from trade (where it was highest after colonialism and global trade), country economy, again, does not exist. And so on.

I don't think CK and EU need all of this. It's more about Victoria age. What really should affect costs is terrain/climate. Building in mountains/arctic should cost more and/or bring less gold, and that will bring the difference you ask for.
Also, pagans and nomads already have different set of buildings, raiding, defensive attrition, CtA instead of vassal levies and special mechanics like army for prestige. Just need to do some map polishing and, most important, to do something with distances, both for armies/supply limits and control of land/local autonomy. Those factors played much bigger role then, I believe.
And, of course, give rich empires an option to pay attackers/raiders to evade them. I'm sure it will be cheaper than war in game too, we just don't have this option. Raised army, lost manpower, pillaged holdings, time wasted...

Last edited:
Other thing (since I'm here) is about ideology. In the game everyone wants to conquer the world. But if you think about, it's all about organized religions. One god, one ruler, one nation. Nomads didn't want to conquer all those castles, they wanted gold, horses, cool stuff like dishes and silk clothes etc. That's why it was possible to pay them. Imagine crusade for Jerusalem, and rich Muslim rulers just pay Christians to leave them alone... Offensive pagans wanted to fight and take cool stuff too, defensive just wanted to live quietly in peace. They never developed much, never stashed all this wealth, usually didn't try to create empires. For many of them the world ended somewhere behind the forest, except rumors of mystic lands with four-handed people and flying fire-breathing horses. No matter how good this game is, it represents modern view on politics, geopolitics, reasoning and goals. But if you could add all of this, it would change course of events much more than any economic reasons, leading to more "historical" outcome.

Sort these investments from most expensive to least:
Cathedral, Castle, Soup Kitchen, Sword;

The result is probably exactly the opposite to reality. :D
Yeah, I'd say something has to be done about this.

Sort these investments from most expensive to least:
Cathedral, Castle, Soup Kitchen, Sword;

The result is probably exactly the opposite to reality. :D
Yeah, I'd say something has to be done about this.

Well... Soup kitchen does not generate profit and should be funded by ruler, but there are no current expenses except army. So you are paying for it's work until the end of campaign in advance. Same goes for some other buildings. As for indestructible (unless lost), oh, and magical sword, that increases your levies through martial skill... Well, you know, balance. :) I guess you also have hundred normal swords that have no effect on skills.
*for the record, I'm not serious.