• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Depending on where you installed the game the savegame folder should be there:
My own path, installed the game on Harddrive G and using a folder for Paradox games:
G:\Paradox\Europa Universalis 2\Scenarios\Save Games

That is where it saves: '..\Europa Universalis 2\Scenarios\Save Games'. Note EU2 not EU3 or 4.
Perhaps you have multiple copies installed? Modern Windows OSs typically default to a 'C:\Program Files (x86)' installation directory.
Perhaps your saved file is in a modification directory? '..Europa Universalis 2\[moddir]\Scenarios\Save Games.
Other than that all I can think of is that maybe it's one of the obscure rebranded versions of EU2 which saves under a directory named for the retail company somewhere.

I got the version from GG when it was still a Paradox affiliate. If it is any clue, the game settings also persist after an uninstall, so there must be something outside the paradox folder where they go. I know with V2 I have to look for a second Paradox folder under Users/Myname/Documents but I can't find the analogous folder for EUII.

I got the version from GG when it was still a Paradox affiliate. If it is any clue, the game settings also persist after an uninstall, so there must be something outside the paradox folder where they go. I know with V2 I have to look for a second Paradox folder under Users/Myname/Documents but I can't find the analogous folder for EUII.

There is none. EU2 is still from the time where everything went into the games own folder and not some obscure User specifc special folder.

However I am confused about your questions.
First it sounds as if you do not know where the savegames are located.
Then it sounds as if you knew that all the time but did not know how to get rid off them...?

What are you trying to do - uninstall the game and the uninstall routine does not remove all folders completely?
In that case simply manually delete the remaining folders.

I just want to weed out some of the excess saves, and parse some of the others. I only mention the persistence after an uninstall as a clue that they are in a folder outside the expected one. If I were looking to manually delete the folders (and someday I likely will) I would still need to find them.

I just want to weed out some of the excess saves, and parse some of the others. I only mention the persistence after an uninstall as a clue that they are in a folder outside the expected one. If I were looking to manually delete the folders (and someday I likely will) I would still need to find them.

How do you know that you still have savegames if you do not know where the savegame folder is and they are not in the commonly known savegamefolder?

Maybe it is because I can play them?

How do you have de-installed the game if you are able to still play it?
Or - if you have re-installed the game - after de-installing, how did you get the idea that you still have savegames before you could actually try that after reinstalling?
And in which folder did you install the game the first and the second time?

All my old saves from a previous install were still there, and all my game settings were still there too, so I didn't have to reset the game to pause every time something happens. It is in the x86 folder which seems to be the default these days. I have one (PI) that has EUII and a PDS that has V2. Neither folder has any saves. I have figured out where to find the V2 saves, just not the EUII ones.

Do a search on the savegame file names. Bare in mind that spaces are underscored and the extension is .eug with .eug.cfg for settings. Trace your link route by reading the properties of the shortcut you use to execute the game. Probably have an additional copy installed somewhere.

Last edited:
Ahh, User Account Control nonsense from Microsoft. It's supposed to effectively sandbox old programs so they don't execute legacy viruses but, it doesn't. Just reroutes where the potential dangerous software can be stored not basic virus access permission exploits. Suggest disabling UAC so that files are written within the installation directory or installing programs outside '..\Program Files (x86)\'. WinXP Pro was the last thing MS made worth using.