• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
General_BT said:
Perhaps there will be a 1204 Constantinople in reverse... a puppet Patriarch of Rome taking the fore while the real Pope flees? But where to? If the Pope is driven out of Rome, history in the future suddenly becomes radically and unalterably skewed...

The Pope will probably take refuge in Avignon. After all, the King of France will be mighty pleased of not having to slap him and drag him by the beard, as well as becoming the protector of the true Catholic faith against the schismatic scourge.

Oh noes!
Temur the lame is here! :eek:

And the Komnenois are weak and splintered. :p

And a queen needs to command the Legions of East... :rofl:
Something is wrong in the empire of greeks. :D

So shall the Queen ally with this young boy, or even marry him?
Or just defeat. :p

Well if there is a Komnenid on the Peacock Throne, either Thomas is going to be successful, or one of his successors will finish what he is about to start. :eek:

And furthermore, Mehtar delenda est.

What a fun little "spoiler" there General_BT! Enjoyed it and I believe Eirene was around 1348 or so, correct? So that means the Byzantines are still battling with the Mongols well into the 14th century....

Seems Islam also hasn't, like historically it did, overtaken the Empire and that it's still standing. But, with Andronikos II there, I have a feeling he'll help it to divide.

Looks like Thomas was possibly successful then in taking over Persia. And Alexandros II reminds me of the Megos and Basil. So he could be perhaps the just, right?

I like Eirene. Shows who's "really wearing the trousers" in Persia! :D

I was wondering but could we perhaps have a sneak peak at Andronikos II? I'm interested in this character and from your very regular mentioning of the man, obviously it's clear he's going to be an interesting character. :D

I wonder if he is mad with schizophrenia or in general is a tyrant such as Stalin, for example? He sounds like the unflappable, cruel type that ruled over Byzantium with an iron fist. Or the Roman world. ;)

Pretty please with sugar on top? :D

But if not, be sure to update! Looking forward to reading about Christina.

...Emperors of Spain, Egypt, etc? That's a far cry from hyperexarch. Yeah, I can see things went a bit downhill.

Also, ridiculously awesome and tantalizing trailer. I'm not sure whether to cheer or grab my pitchfork and torch.

Well, I have finally caught up. One thing that strikes me about your writing is how easily you manage to elicit a reader’s emotional response to your characters. I hate just about all of them, which is no mean feat to achieve, and utterly realistic. Who would imagine people who clawed themselves into power or are trying to do so are nice persons?

There was one really likable character in the last few dozen updates, emperor Basil. You did a fine job in portraying him with real greatness, especially in his illness and suffering. Sadly, he has died too soon.

The one guy I do dislike especially is Mehtar, though the scene with the flashbacks of his murder of Sophia Kosaca was my favourite one in the last dozen or so updates. You have woven this one quite masterly. Still, I hope he is heading for a fall – soon.

And he can take Thomas along with him. It’s a pity David was murdered, for I think he might really have put his more simple brother to good uses as a co-emperor – like you had him say yourself. Unfortunately for Byzantion, Heraklios is too young to be able to dominate his brother, and he may be quite likely not reach maturity, if I am not mistaken in Thomas. But anyhow, him being a bastard of Rodrigo was a nicely executed plot twist – with the consequence that I don’t want to see him rule, as he is not of Basil’s blood. A man as great as Basil deserves to be succeeded by his progeny.

Even though he is yet a blank page, I would therefore champion young Alexios’ cause and have already done so before you introduced Serlo de Hauteville. I was all the more pleasantly surprised that it was my favourite claimant whom you linked Serlo to. I am very much looking forward to what this will come to.

High BT, new reader here. Took a week of reading to catch up, but here I am eagerly waiting for the next episode. Oh, the sweet days, when I just had to search for the last update and continue when I felt like... :)

A question if I may:
What's with Manuel? You made a promise I can't help but remind you of, where you said he will appear again. ;) I'm eagerly awaiting for him, even if only for a few lines to announce his death.

Oh, and on page 75 (appr) you edited in the sixth generation, were it says David was killed by Mehtar. But actually this is before the next update where it actually happens. Would you remove those two lines for future generations, cause they are real spoilers.

Great writing once again! And a big Thank You for all the effort you put into this!

Daffius - Welcome to the AAR! One, Manuel's appearance is still coming up... its just my rate of updating has slowed down so its taking longer to get to than I originally expected. Be assured though, its coming!

Second, thank you for letting me know about that... originally I just copied each successive generation's lists over to that original post, and I'd included David's death in the sixth generation post because it'd already happened at that point. I didn't realize what a spoiler I was putting in! It's been fixed :)

The_Guiscard - Once again thank you for your kind words... I'm glad to hear I can help elicit people to like characters, as well as hating them (I find most of them utterly deplorable people). My writing in that regard is kind of patterned after George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series... the heroes aren't too heroic, and the villains are numerous (and tend to have understandable motives).

I'm actually impatiently looking forward to the point in the story where I get to fill Alexios' blank page in. Let's just say if it all pans out as I hope, he'll be a memorable character along the veins of Manuel or Basil!

kalenderee - Yeah, by that point they have gone downhill... imagine the political arrangement of the Western Roman Empire in the early 5th century A.D....

Servius Magnus - I'm actually thinking of having another "If Emperors Were Gamers" interim, though I'm trying to figure out what gamers Basil and Heraklios would be. Thomas is easy - he's the whiner that gets upset when he loses, and throws controllers. So far we have:

Demetrios - the moonlight gamer. Jock by day, avid gamer by night.
Nikolaios - the unkempt, walking dictionary gamer that people don't want to be around.
Manuel - the emo/goth gamer that likes insulting others
Will - the author inserting himself into the mess as a point of "sanity" in an insane short story. :)

asd21593 - *fetches a new pair of pants for asd!*

AlexanderPrimus - I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to writing Tamerlane as a character, just as I'm looking forward to Genghis Khan, Subodai, and several others. I already have one scene already planned - a meeting on the Volga... </end evil plot dropping>

Ksim3000 - Sometime down the line I will have an interim with Andronikos. He'll likely be the most complicated and intense character in the whole series... and no, the Empire doesn't fall to Islam, but Muslims still even in the 14th century form a sizeable percentage of the population (and in many places, the majority). So how the state and local themes deal with the Muslims is a very touchy, very important issue later on...

The_Archduke - I see you've become Rome AARisen's Cato the Elder. :D

Enewald - This is the evil thing about such updates... Andronikos, Eirene and the 14th century are likely a year away in real time... *evil cackle*

Laur - Well, that's definitely what happened historically when Rome became too hot for the Popes...

drafttriplemonarchstartslatecopy.jpg

Allāhu Akbar…
Allāhu Akbar…
Allāhu Akbar…
Allāhu Akbar…

Ash-hadu an lā ilāha illallāh…
Ash-hadu an lā ilāha illallāh…

Christina of Dau laid back, listening to the Muslim calls for prayer as they echoed off of the Theodosian Walls. Part of her thought it strange – that she, a Christian woman, Romanoi through and through, would find the calls of the muezzin familiar, comforting even. Then again, she was still getting used to the immense paradoxes that filled Konstantinopolis. At once, it was one of the holiest cities in Christendom, yet here, outside the “official city” defined by forbidding walls, there was a thriving Muslim Quarter, filled with merchants with connections as far abroad as Samarkand, Muscat, and even India. It reminded her of her home, her father’s palace in Gizeh. There, she and the other Christians were decidedly the minority. So unlike many of the more devout that lived within the city walls, she could appreciate the rather tolerant policy of the last string of Emperors – Muslims, like the Latins, the Rus, and all other forms of barbarians were allowed their own quarter, outside the immense Theodosian Walls. Konstantinopolis’ status as a center of trade was enhanced, coffers were filled, and spy networks grew. It just made sense.

Yet in the year since her father relocated to Konstantinopolis to be closer to the center of power, she’d seen all manner of things that did not make sense. The Queen of Cities had also developed another name – the City of Spies. Every gathering, every party, every chance meeting could potentially be some part of a larger plot – or so it seemed to Christina. Church against army against nobility – such was the way of things. She’d lived through that on a daily basis in Egypt, where as far back as she could remember her father was constantly pitting the factions of the theme against each other – Muslim against Christian, magistrates versus army – all in an effort to maintain his paramount position.

It was a game she’d grown to understand, appreciate, even enjoy.

Gizeh.jpg

Gizeh, capital of the theme of Aegyptos, and home of Christina of Dau. Aegyptos is one of the wealthiest of the themes added to the Empire since the Megas, and one of the most religiously fragmented. Here Copts and Muslims live alongside Latin and Eastern rite Christians.

Yet now, here she was, in the Queen of Cities. Christina’s father certainly had prescience to see that Thomas would be the ascendant. It had not been a foregone conclusion – Alexios was the most direct descendant of Basil, while Sophie was universally respected as an Empress that played the deadly game of politics well. For once, he’d had the brilliant idea of having Christina ride next to Thomas during Basil’s funeral, exposing the Emperor to Christina’s already legendary beauty.

It was the ultimate compliment, but not one that made Christina smile. Her supple red lips pursed into a grimace, and a frown hid her piercing blue eyes. She glanced down, and was of half a mind to curse her breasts.

As a price of betrothal, the young Emperor had demanded his conjugal rights, even before the marriage was consecrated. Khorbut had agreed, and at first, Christina wasn’t disinclined - she was by no means a nun. She would be careful, she knew the proper herbs to take to ensure a child would not be born. That, however, had turned out to be the least of her worries. As the litter rocked again gently, she looked at her wrists again, and sighed. The volatile mixture of tinctures covered the bruises well. The mental image of him, and the things he did – she pushed them out of her mind.

She frowned. Thomas wanted to see her again, this afternoon, and the main reason Christina was in the Muslim Quarter was to find several herbs common to Arachosia that helped with pain.

“Pain is temporary,” she murmured yet again to herself.

Christina2.jpg

Then there was Mehtar.

She’d seen the looks that Spaniard cast towards Thomas – they were very close cousins to the looks Thomas looked at her. And then there was the way Mehtar looked at her – ‘feral’ was not an adequate term, neither were ‘raging’ or ‘vengeful.’ He was Thomas’ right hand man, and Christina had heard all the rumors about what had happened to Sophia. To Christina, it looked as if his emotions were far stronger than his logic – that would explain his unerring devotion to Thomas.

She needed to bring him around – eliminating him was out of the question. He was too well entrenched, and far too formidable. If his emotions were driving him, she needed to calm his nerves about her. Reassure him – she didn’t love Thomas, and by the brutish way he treated her in copulation, she was some cow meant for rutting and little more.

Her mind was still wrapping itself around how to do this when suddenly the familiar tramp of military boots echoed outside of the litter. For a second, Christina’s blood ran cold. Was she being arrested? Was there some danger outside? Then, suddenly, she heard someone bellow in Greek, and her litter drew to an abrupt halt.

“Why are we stopping?” She nervously drew aside the curtains and leaned out into the bright sunshine. All around her small band of bodyguards and litterbearers were the brilliant uniforms and cloaks of the Basilikon Toxotoi – the personal bodyguards of her future brother-in-law.

“Lady Christina!”

Christina quickly went to the other side of her litter and peered out. Hovering next to hers on the shoulders of sixteen burly Nubians was an imperial litter, covered in gold, silks and adorned with gems. A young boy’s face peered out from between the brilliant silken curtains, sandy hair, a cherubic face whose cheeks were scattered with freckles. Brown eyes peered at her from between the shades of the imperial litter. They weren’t bombastic, the stare of a high-born child at his social inferior, but neither were they afraid. Christina instead felt a distinct feeling like the young boy was already looking at her, judging her as an adult would...

“Lady Christina,” the boy said. “What brings you to the Muslim market today?”

“Majesty,” Christina bowed as best she could in her precarious position. “I am here looking for herbs for my personal garden.”

“What kinds of herbs?” His little eyes narrowed.

“Are you familiar with the poppy?” Christina asked quickly. She knew where his mind was headed – the same place it seemed all the Komnenids minds went since the days of Heraklios’ grandfather. She needed to quickly cut that line of thought off.

“Yes… its used to reduce pain and gain a sense of euphoria. What causes you such pain, Lady Christina?”

“An accident I had as a child – I fell from a horse and hurt my leg,” she lied. He wouldn’t understand the truth… he was far too young.

“Ah… well, I wish you health then, Lady Christina!” the boy said with a genuine smile.

“Uh… thank you, Majesty,” Christina bowed again. “What brings you to the Muslim Quarter of the city?”

“Mama is letting me travel through the Muslim markets today to search for a proper Persian rug,” the young boy answered. “She also said it’d be good for me to observe and note Muslim customs, as they do form a large part of our Empire.”

“Indeed,” Christina nodded, even as she processed the information. Sophie was evidently moving out of that torpid period of mourning. Now she was training Heraklios, just as she’d trained that Spaniard… and the world could see how formidable Mehtar Lainez was. Heraklios already had the distinction of being known for his scholarly appetite – the main reason he and his mother had settled in Blacharenae was its large libraries. If Sophie trained him as well as she trained Mehtar…

Christina felt her grip on power slipping through her fingers, into the hands of this cherubic little boy.

“Down in Gizeh, there’s still at least two Muslims for every Christian,” Christina continued, putting up a brave front. “My father…”

“I have heard of your father,” Heraklios smiled.

“You have?” Christina plastered a fake smile of her own onto her face.

“His plan to thwart the Sunni sects in Buhwariyah was impressive,” the young boy continued.

heraklios3.jpg

Christina’s eyes went wide. She would’ve been surprised if anyone that had lived only in Konstantinopolis knew there were multiple sects of Islam, let alone heard of her father’s campaign four years before to eradicate the militant Al Suriyah sect from the west bank of the Nile.

“Military attacks and making a network to report on the sect and spreading discouraging rumors… that was inspired.”

Christina blinked.

“I am sure if my father was here, he would thank you for your kind words, Majesty,” she managed to say. “If I may be so bold, where did Your Majesty learn such a great amount of detail on my father’s efforts? It is not something one would normally read about in Konstantinopolis.” The city still seemed rooted on the great campaigns of the Megas and Basil, and not on the more subtle efforts of the princes to retain control over the wide swaths of territory the Emperors had conquered.

“My mother has many books and records set at my disposal,” Heraklios said, “For example, all the papers of state that pass through her hands as my Regent pass through mine as well. Tell me, Lady Christina,” Heraklios motioned for her to lean close, “why do you not take credit for your ideas? Using agents to convince the sectists that their khalifa had died in a hovel was far more interesting than anything my grandfather did!”

Christina’s eyes narrowed. Was Heraklios truly ten, going on eleven? The boy was intelligent – too intelligent. If Sophie was allowed to exert her influence on him, Christina knew what would happen. All the pain of letting Thomas use her, the arrangements, the careful planning to take an imperial diadem, would be gone. Not even Mehtar would be able to protect Thomas from such a threat.

In short… an ally, a backup, for when Thomas was past his usefulness. She could persuade others - Heraklios was bright – a budding statesman, a compliment to Thomas in many ways. He just needed to be separated from his mother, and allied to the newest woman in imperial politics…

“So, Majesty, if you read all the information that passes through your mother’s hands, what do you think our prospects are in the upcoming war?” Christina asked. She felt no compunction to not mention the coming war – the signs were obvious to anyone with eyes. Grain being shipped out, armorsmiths having double, even triple their regular orders…

Heraklios frowned, looking down in thought. “I don’t know… I must admit I do not understand military affairs,” the boy said quietly. “It appears the Turks are busy fighting against the Arachosians, Indians, and all manner of other people to their east, so I imagine the campaign will be rather easy.”

“Really? Hmmm,” Christina pretended to be in thought. “I have seen information otherwise. Old Sultan Sulieman himself has returned from the East, and I’ve heard he’s got 45,000 troops in Mesopotamia and Luristan…”

It wasn’t a complete lie. She had no concrete evidence of any of that - she’d only heard that the old Sultan had returned from campaigning in the East with his bodyguard. Sulieman, though, had a reputation as a canny commander, and she doubted that had faded in old age. A child would’ve kept a significant force behind in Mesopotamia to watch the Romans. Sulieman would have made plans for a Roman sneak attack, especially after the death of Basil.

“Really?” the young boy’s eyes went wide. “Where did you hear that? Come,” Heraklios gestured to his litter, “sit here, tell me all about it!”

“Of course! Down!” Christina ordered her litterbearers, then stepped into the Imperial litter beside her future brother-in-law. Thomas could wait. He’d be furious, and that’d mean more bruises, but Christina would bear it. If she wanted to survive, she needed allies in this city, so she started spinning tales of intrigue for the young one in front of her...

==========*==========
litter.jpg

So Christina is going about attempting to become Heraklios’ friend, behind Thomas’ back. Heraklios, for all his brilliance, is a ten year old boy. Ominous news as well for the proposed Turkish campaign – Sulieman is still the Sultan, and undoubtedly the old man has a few surprises left in him…

Christina of Dau seems like one more viper in a pit full of them, but anyone plotting for Heraklios and against Thomas has my vote of confidence.

Great update! I'm loving Christina of Dau -- she's very well-written, and at least somewhat sympathetic, which is more I can say for Mehtar or Thomas.

I noticed your new header graphic too... well done! I like the irony: the words "Triple Monarchy" are spread across Thomas, Mehtar and Christina, not Thomas, Alexios and Heraklios.

This new Triad of Imperial Power will be intriguing to follow. Keep it up! I can't wait for the next update. :D

Uhuh, so the Hormuz revolted or there was random troop walking around Persia? :p

Btw, who is the real Basileios in Ck-terms? :confused:

And maybe Thomas shall die on campign, but that would be too simple. :rolleyes:

Mehter seems to be the real Emperor.
Just like the old good times of western empire in the 5th century... Stilicho, Aetius... :D

I'm rooting for Herk and Christina.

Do I detect the early indications of a seduction? Heraklios may be a prodigy, but he will be way out of his league in a few years if Christina uses him and his power to free herself from the Beast. I can just see it now a few years down the road. "Please save me from my brutal husband... I can make it worth your while..."

And furthermore, Mehtar delenda est.

"MANUEL!!!! Where are you??!!?"

Just kiddin, great update. :)

I too am finding myself crossing fingers for Alexios. Heraklios seems to be a nice guy and might turn out to be a good emperor. But for a non-roman to be emperor feels soooo wrong that I just can't help, but hope for the Alexios to come in the spot light. (BTW, in-game what education did Alexios get?)

As for Thomas, he is out of the question (he shouldn't have said "rot", no, he definately shouldn't have). Although I do believe that both young boys could definately make use of his military skills as commander, I doubt Mehtar or Thomas would be willing to give up power.

As for the Turks, I think Thomas is in for a big surprise. Sulieman has proven, not once that he has what it takes on the battlefield, plus he might have mongols in his backyard soon enough, plus a wife that wouldn't shed a tear for him, plus a scheming Sophie that would rather see him out of power, plus... basically his rule is all up to when will Mehtar die/quit/fall-in-love-with-someone-else, since thats when his rule will be over.

Military skills? What skills. He has fighting skills, and that has absolutely no relation to command skill. But unfortunately, the kind of men that say "let us 10 000 jolly good men charge that unasailable fort" get a reputation for bravery, while types such as "let's bait the enemy out trough usage of a briliant and sneaky plan that will minimise our losses and embarass the enemy" are considered cowards. 10 year old girl could outwit Thomas on the battlefield, and the idiot is going to war not with "honor" (that is, frontal charge obssesed) obsessed knights, but against regional masters of movement warfare, who have on top of that been schooled by Mongols, and other steppe tribes fleeing from them, in real combat.