• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
manuel was obviously the greatest emperor ever. and i have a vision that either alexios will inherit western europe to make war on romanion for his shot at the emperorship,and the empire at this timne will be led by heraklios,or alexios is going to be the next manuel and murder everyone until he dominates the world :D

phargle said:
A good death scene, and a fun future peek - the random orders made me wonder exactly how random they are. Maybe the guy's delerious. Maybe he's saying things that will be ironically appropriate later on.

Sophie for Emperor!
Did you read the part about the war in Spain yet? In his mind he was refighting the battle of Menorca which was the most traumatic defeat in his life and where he lost many good friends who sacrificed themselves for him.

Really it's tragical that he had to die so soon. :eek:o How much more ready would the empire have been only ten years down the road, with Heraklios grown up and ready to play the power game.

*sniff*

Oh woe! But then again, time to wipe away the tears and grab the popcorn, because there's going to be full blown action and intrigue now :D

Two Points:

1. In retrospect, Basil seems a great deal like OTL Manuel Komnenos—a brilliant warrior-hero who, for all of his victories, set the stage for an extremely nasty Roman catastrophe.

2. Does anybody know how I can get that mood music onto an iTunes playlist?

I find myself rather conflicted as to my opinion of Basil's reign. On one hand, it's clear that not all is well in New Rome, and it's clear that Basil was nowhere close to the right man for solving those problems.

Yet on the other hand, no one truly is. The man so far most capable of dealing with the "rotting effect," so to speak, of the nobility and army's machinations beneath the surface was Manuel. Yet what came of him? Forced out of power, exiled, shoved out of the way in short order. Not because of some dynastic struggle or foreign intervention, but because of forces already existing within the empire, forces existing since Demetrios, and even further back (since the Macedonian dynasty, really): the wealthy, landed interests.

In a way, Mehtar represents everything wrong and rotten in New Rome. It's a shame such a fool was able to weild so much power.

Basil wasn't a bad emperor. Was he magnificent? Probably not. One might go so far as to call him a terrible father, but that, ironically, is perhaps one realm the emperor had no real responsibility in.

TC Pilot - Basil's legacy is conflicted... he was a brilliant conqueror, and his limited wars and overall peace in the East meant prosperity for both the treasury and his own people, but his heirs... and the army. In many ways, Basil wasn't the right man to solve the problems. Throughout Byzantine history, it seemed the strongest Emperors were often the most ruthless, something Basil wasn't. That all said, on military conquests and reputation, Basil could definitely be called "Magnificent" despite his failings.

As for Mehtar being all that's wrong with New Rome... perhaps. Then again, he is still very young himself, and likely has years left to change...

Fulcrumvale - Exactly! OTL Manuel I is probably the best comparison available for Basil. As for the mood music, its an arrangement I made using Audacity sound editor. The pieces I used all come from the King Arthur movie soundtrack - sad thing about that film, it was a great soundtrack stuck with a bad film...

Leviathan07 - If Basil had lasted some ten years later - then years more to groom an heir like he arguably should have - history would be quite different. Heraklios would have been the undisputed Emperor, with proper support from the Army and Church from his illustrious father. Instead, we have a three headed abberation.

asd21593 - Hehehe... :D

Servius Magnus - You're definitely placing alot of responsibility on Alexios' shoulders! In the more immediate timeframe, as he's only three, what's more important is what his mother, Alienor, does as his guardian... and perhaps what his greatest vassal, Manuel (Basil's second son) does as well...

phargle - This is one case where I wish CK would allow women to occasionally rule. In real life in a Byzantinue situation like this, Sophie probably would have stepped in and ruled on behalf of her children and grandchildren, and likely far better than Empress Irene did. And yes... Basil was delirious at his death, akin to Stonewall Jackson.

Lord Valentine - I got exactly what you were referencing... I was referring to the upcoming murders, deceit and outright warfare as being far bloodier than any of the orgies of violence in the Coliseum. What you're going to see in the coming two centuries is an Empire that is steadily larger and larger, but more and more out of control, until finally in the hands of the infamous Anastasios the whole thing flies apart...

Enewald - Technically, you know the name of three future Emperors. There has already been an Emperor Anastasios before RA's timeline diverged from real history, but there hadn't been a previous Emperor Andronikos... So we have Thomas -> ? -> Andronikos I -> ? ->Andronikos II -> ? -> Anastasios II. Each ? could be more than one Emperor, easily...

In game, the Byzantine treasury at this point is ridiculous, and it remained so for the rest of the game... so the in game treasury will have little bearing on the future of the AAR. Manuel had a martial of 13 by the end, and conquered southern Italy and parts of Egypt and south Russia, I think it'd be fair to say he was a formidable commander in his own right. Basil died at 42 in game of 'old age,' which I described in this AAR as basically leukemia. As for the Pope... you'll have to see...

As for the next update, I'm working on hard on getting it done! Its about 1/3 finished, and as you'll see, its not long after Basil's funeral that the bloody games of politics begin...

uuuh, so the whole system falls apart, but not because of the lack of money in central authority and barbarian hordes as thousand years earlier, but because of a noob emperor and nasty theme governors? :p

Basils life, death and confusion left behind reminds me somewhat to our own Emperor Stefan Dushan. He too overthrew his father, made extensive conquests, defeated more or less all nearby powers, was considered one of the finest military mind of the day, borough Serbia to the height of it's power, but then died young (he was barely 40 I think). Behind him he left a too young and inexperienced heir, and unsuppressed nobility over whom he ruled only with brute strength. Died just as a new deadly force (Turks) was rearing it's ugly head, by destroying his long time enemies, Romans.

well just take a look at basil and his mother,im sure no one thought this puny little illiterate boy was going to be basil III megaloprepis.so we cant rule alexios out at all you crafty devil :rofl:

Once again General_BT, a most excellent update as usual. I really did enjoy this update that it even made me feel a little sad after reading. I really did like Basil as a character. A true Rommel of his day. Not the best Administrator and he did leave behind a mess but then, as is always the case in Human history, all Empires Rise and Fall. It seems the Byzantines, however, in this timeline have had two rises! :D

Still, how do you intend to actually play out the overall collapse of the empire itself? Have you setup your own events or just let negative occurrences continue without squashing them? Don't let on too much of course but I'm just fascinated at someone arranging their own downfall. In Paradox games, without events, it is hard once your in a strong position of power.

Well, update soon as usual! I'm sure it'll be as good as ever!

General_BT said:
Basil's legacy is conflicted... he was a brilliant conqueror, and his limited wars and overall peace in the East meant prosperity for both the treasury and his own people, but his heirs... and the army. In many ways, Basil wasn't the right man to solve the problems.

No doubt his education in the West and his self-image of the chivalrous knight exacerbated matters. The feudalization of Byzantium was one of the great catastrophes of the empire, made all the worse by the fact that the nobility represents, in large degree, the single greatest systemic threat to the empire's integrity and longevity.

As for Mehtar being all that's wrong with New Rome... perhaps. Then again, he is still very young himself, and likely has years left to change...

I don't think he'll change in any significant degree. He's a delusional idiot seemingly willing enough to let the empire burn for the sake of those delusions, and his position is chiefly based on how much harm he can cause the empire.

After all, as the wise Alexios Komnenos once said, "And make sure no Saracen lends you money… they will take your cattle…."

I should have realized that you are versed enough in the classic to get that reference. My apologies General!

But If you ask me the collapse of an empire so vast is unavoidable in the long run. With so many forces to be contained central authority can only hold it together under a strong emperor and fairly favorable circumstances. And where the rise of a landed nobility is concerned I also think this is inevitable. This has always happened when a state becomes huge and wealthy, just look at the Roman republic. The most important thing for an emperor (as the historic Alexios I realized) is therefore not to fight the unwinable battle of holding down the nobility but to tie their interests to his and ensure cooperation.

~Lord Valentine~

Lord Valentine - Exactly... or, if you're a Manuel, cow them into obedience. The nobility had a definite interest in the Megas expanding imperial territory and handing it off to noble families. Manuel had the capacity to cause them great harm and cowed them. The problem with Basil is he did neither... they weren't afraid of him, but his wars in Spain to the dynatoi were distant affairs. The growing prosperity was the main reason they've stayed quiet... no one wanted to rock the boat and stop the gravy train. Money curbs ambition only so much though...

TC Pilot - The nobility has always been the empire's greatest weakness... and because Basil didn't do any of the things listed above, they're now rich and emboldened. As for Mehtar, he's now in charge... we'll see what happens...

Ksim3000 - This is the point where the AAR starts straying more and more from the game events. The treasury, for example. However, as time went on I did start handicapping myself... for example, after the Seljuk War under Manuel, I never ever called up the grand mobilization of the Empire - its too unfair, so wars were fought with troops from imperial lands. This meant I still had an enormous army (near the end, the Emperors have a private army of nearly 100,000... but this is amidst a sea of lords that, according to CK, could collectively field a million in the 14th century), but I couldn't go on a world conquest spree. I also refrained from using the ridiculously deep treasury to "bribe my way to stability" too often. I did it occasionally, but not as constantly as I could have.

One aspect of the gameplay that is going to start cropping up is how fairly powerful dynatoi began lurching off into their own conflicts with great success... this will definitely be appearing in the AAR as one of the motivations for separatism.

Servius Magnus - I'm not ruling him out... I'm just saying right now he's only two. :)

4th Dimension - I'm not as familiar with the life and death of Stefan Dusan (or medieval Serbian history altogether, outside of the Battle of Kosovo), but from your description of him, it sounds rather dead on. You have any links to his bio aside from wiki? (I'm planning on wiki-ing it later today).

Enewald - Not really a noob emperor, but a series of them, then a series of emperors that try to overcorrect too harshly and drive things off the cliff. That's not to say the Mongols don't have their say... as you'll see, they have a role in the final push that sends the whole mess clattering downhill into oblivion...

basilromearisenbannercopy.jpg

November 18th, 1190

Alienor Capet-Komnenos looked out over the sea of people and sighed. Banquets were supposed to be fun, but the young woman hardly felt like laughing.

Then again, it wasn’t every day the greatest emperor in Christendom was laid to rest, nor were the coronations of no less than three emperors in his stead a daily occurrence. To say it’d been a day of opulence, somberness, and joy, all wrapped in a confusing emotional array of ceremonies and parades was an understatement.

Basil III died perhaps the most revered ruler in all of Christian Europe. To his subjects, he brought glory to their realm, while ensuring peace and prosperity at home. Sure, amongst the army, the Church and other entities there were rumblings, but to the people of Konstantinopolis, Basil was their Megaloprepis, the glorious, shining warrior. They crowded the streets, pressing on the funeral procession, headed by shining men of the Hetaratoi in full armor. They threw flowers, trinkets, gold and silver at the coffin-carriage as it trundled by under a black shroud. They cried as images of the late Emperor, already being acclaimed as Hagios Basilieos by the Church, floated by above the procession.

The funeral procession slowly made its way through the streets, until finally reaching the immense bulk of the Hippodrome, where princes, dignitaries and the elite of all the Empire sat gathered. A multitude of great men from all parts of Christendom travelled to Konstantinopolis to pay their respects, their cloaks of the finest silks and furs overwhelming the Great Turn of the Hippodrome. The coffin circled the track once, twice, before coming to a stop before the rostrum of the great spina. Slowly, the four great patriarchs rose to the rostrum, and censers swaying, opened the ceremonies with a great prayer.

Then the three new emperors entered the vast arena. Thomas had then arrived in the Hippodrome in a chariot, painted tyrian purple with giltwork, members of his personal guard flanking him. After came Heraklios, sitting awkwardly on a great white stallion, the raiments of Emperor far too large for his small frame. Finally there was another chariot, this one bearing the Emperor Alexios in the arms of his mother, screaming at crying at the thunderous noise of the Hippodrome. As the three emperors neared the spina, they all drew to a halt and dismounted, and the Patriarchs all descended to deliver the Blessings of God and the anointing. As Alienor had expected, the crowd roared its thunderous approval, and Alexios had kicked and screamed even more.

thomascarriage.jpg

Thomas’ entrance into the Hippodrome. The Autokrator is accompanied by Christina of Dau, daughter of one of the more powerful of the neodynatoi…

Then, a number of orations echoed from the spina, eulogizing the former Emperor of the Romans. The new Patriarch of Konstantinopolis, Georgios Laskaris, delivered a stunning call for men to be like the late Basil – kind, gentle, just and God-fearing. The Megos Domestikos gave a moving rendition of the Emperor’s greatest triumphs, his bravery on the battlefield and his concern for his men. Malhaz Komnenos rose and spoke of a man that cared for the people, whose policies granted them the peace and prosperity they now enjoyed. The only oration that fell flat was that of Thomas Komnenos, whose words from a son seemed to laud his own accomplishments in Spain more than honoring his father’s work in destroying the power of the Moors.

When the last of the speakers descended from the spina, the four great patriarchs ascended once more, censers swaying, calling on God to accept Basil’s soul into the gates of Heaven. Few had any doubt the Almighty would – already Patriarch Laskaris spoke of Hagios Basilieos, and the glorification would likely spread across the Empire. After the patriarchs finished the final prayer, they slowly made their way down the great spina as the great procession circled the Hippodrome one more time, before the black coffin, accompanied by a small honor guard from the Hetaratoi, clattered to the great imperial vaults underneath Hagia Eirene. There, Basil joined his uncle and grandfather in an imposing stone mausoleum, stony eyes looking upwards forever more.

basiltomb.jpg

The tomb of Basil III Komnenos, as seen today

Yet, to Alienor, all of this vast cacophony of ceremony and ritual was overwhelming, to say the least. The processions, chants, and calls were all in alien Greek, the rituals of the Eastern rites befuddled and unnerved her. Even now, in the midst of a form of ceremony she did understand, a banquet, there were elements that seemed – wrong, to her. The sofas that lined the room instead of a bona-fide table. The mechanical beasts that surrounded the room. The way courtiers came before the three thrones and prostrated themselves on the floor before the three Emperors.

She’d thought her years in Basiliopolis would have prepared her for dealing with life in Konstantinopolis, but now she realized she was sorely mistaken. Within days of the funeral-coronation, Alienor had already gathered from sources that Thomas was gathering his veterans from the Spanish Wars in Konstantinopolis, as well as commissioning a large number of cloaks from merchants throughout the Empire. He was plaining commissioning a personal guard – which meant Alexios would need one of his own.

Then there was the wider world as well – Alienor’s own father regarded Alexios as dangerous. He was no Capet, in Drogo’s eyes, he was Komnenos, and Drogo would sooner die than let a Komnenos take his Empire – so much was Alexios feared that Drogo had freed Alienor’s brother from the dungeons, and forced him to marry a plump and apparently fertile German countess. The couple already had three daughters in a little over three years. Little two year old Alexios might have only learned to walk and say “mama,” but he was already the most feared person in Christendom – or so Alienor thought.

She finished her goblet of watered down wine as those thoughts rolled around in her mind, before her eyes spotted someone looking directly at her from the side of the hall. He was tall, with a strong, erect bearing… and he met her gaze directly. That alone told her he wasn’t of Konstantinopolis, the city where one looked behind one’s back constantly…

“What is your name, sir?” she walked over to him and asked with a pleasant smile.

“Serlo de Hauteville, my lady,” the man bowed in the manner of a Latin, and Alienor’s smile grew.

serlodehauteville.jpg

Serlo de Hauteville

“de Hauteville? Konstantinopolis is a far distance from Italy, young man,” she said. The de Hautevilles almost fifty years before had been the Kings of Southern Italy. It was Basil’s father who had thrown them out and conquered the whole of the territory for the Greeks. What one of their line was doing in Konstantinopolis was beyond her.

“It is quite far from Algiers, you mean,” the young man gently corrected. “My grandfather was the Duke of Calabria at one time, and my father became a sellsword, then Marshal to the Count of Algiers. Five years ago when he passed on, I took his place, and now, here I am – representing the Count at this…”

“…spectacle?” Alienor offered, and they both laughed nervously.

“Indeed. 50,000 people watching the Emperor’s coffin come rolling past on that black carriage. Amazing,” Serlo said, before finishing off his wine. A servant walked past, and the young knight grabbed two goblets off the dish. “My lady?”

“Thank you, Sir Serlo,” she smiled, feeling her face heat up. He was an attractive one, to be sure, and being close only confirmed it. He had a strong face, strong jaws, and by the calluses on his hands, a strong warrior as well. And if he was Marshal to one of the most powerful of the Crusader States, he could be a useful friend off in far away Mauretania.

“If I may be so bold, how does it feel to be the mother of an Emperor of the Romans?” Serlo asked, smile broad, teeth straight. Alienor allowed herself a small laugh.

“It feels… interesting,” she said, looking off towards the three great thrones at the front of the room. Alexios was crying, his tiny hands alternately stretched out, begging for his mother, then closed into tiny little fists. His uncle Heraklios was kneeling beside him in a completely un-regal manner, trying to distract him by hiding his face behind his hands. Thomas, for his part, was too busy asking the prostrate Prince of Vidin to rise to evidently care. “I’m entering a political game I know little about,” Alienor said. It was only a part lie – Greek politics in Mauretania had been easy for her. Here though…

“We all are. Every fly reports back to someone in this city,” Serlo said, looking over his wineglass.

“How do I know you do not report back to anyone?” Alienor raised an eyebrow.

“I do. His name is Count Hugh of Algiers,” the young man laughed. “Considering the vastness of your son’s domains, you have little to fear from him. And, I daresay, he has little interest in you other than imperial trade and making sure the imperial fleet doesn’t blockade his cities simply because the Emperors are bored!”

“Ha,” Alienor smiled. There was something about this man, that made her feel warm and comfortable. That in and of itself was unusual. Alienor truly trusted her instincts – many a time she’d met someone far smoother than event his young man and the hairs on her neck stood up in fear. Yet, considering the city and its reputation, she decided to change the topic.

“You are a Marshal, Serlo. I am surprised you haven’t tried to regale me with any tales of your martial exploits!”

“They are common enough, my lady, that I would not want to bore you with them. If you are sufficiently curious, you will discover them on your own,” Serlo said with a wide smile. She noted where the smile was directed – it was to a location distinctly below her face.

“So you command a great company of knights then?”

“I have my own personal retinue of 300 knights, in addition to commanding the forces of the Lord of Algiers,” de Hauteville said, looking back up. His face went red.

Alienor’s eyes widened slightly. 300 knights was no small force, as each knight brought 3-5 other soldiers with him of various types – perhaps over a 1500 total. If Serlo commanded such a force…

Alienor’s mind clicked – her son’s protection problems could be solved in one fell blow…

“Really, Lord Serlo?” Alienor forced herself to blush again. So, he was interested. She’d never considered herself attractive, but if he was lured, she would pull him in – all the more pleasant for because he was attractive. She offered her arm. “Come, Lord Serlo. I am interested enough in you, and your exploits, I want to hear about all of them from your very mouth…”

As the de Hauteville took her arm and the walked over to one of the sofas, neither noticed Methar Lainez quietly watching them from behind Thomas’ throne, nor did they see the smile that came across his face…

==========*==========​

January 19th, 1190

“Be careful, you imbeciles!”

The cold January wind off the Marmara made Eusebios Apokrilites shiver in his warm furs, but it didn’t seem to bother his lord, Enguerrand Komnenos. The still youthful looking, still handsome youngest brother of the late Emperor was anyway too busy shouting at his litter-bearers to show any care for the cold, other than pulling his own fur cloak a little tighter.

“Morons,” Enguerrand hissed, “Now, logothetes, where were we?”

“You were saying to me you had concerns about the new Emperors,” Eusebios said, rolling his eyes slightly. Everyone had concerns about the new imperial arrangement – some felt it unwieldy, some felt it ridiculous, some felt it dangerous. For his part, Eusebios was more inclined to think of it as the latter.

eusebiosandenguerrand.jpg

Enguerrand in his litter with Eusebios

“Well, I’d spoken about the half-Latin and the child?” Enguerrand asked, and Eusebios nodded. “Very well. Then there’s Thomas, and I fear I could take up the entire trip back to my villa talking about all of his failings and shortcomings!”

“He has that Spaniard with him though,” Eusebios pointed out.

“Yes – and that Spaniard is as slippery and clever as they come!” Enguerrand sighed. “He even has Thomas creating a new tagma for the Imperial Guard!” the Exarch hissed.

Ever since the Megas had brought in his Kappadokian regiment to take over personal bodyguard duties, each successive Emperor had brought in his own regiment and added to the guard – Manuel Komnenos had his Nubiatakoi, Basil had his Basilikon Toxotoi. A new guards regiment had become the de facto means of keeping legitimacy as Emperor, as well as providing personal security from troops that one knew well. It was an arrangement that made sense, undoing centuries of intrigue where usurpers attempted to bribe longstanding guards regiments.

“Tarraco?” Eusebios asked, using what had already become in common parlance the shortened name of the Exarchate.

“2,00 of his veterans! Hispanikon tagma!” Enguerrand threw his hands up as his litter crawled through the crowded streets. “By his proclamation, they’ll be taking over from the Toxotoi the roles of guarding the palace and the person of all the Emperors!”

“Who signed off on that?” Eusebios wondered loudly. “It’s sheer lunacy! It gives Thomas complete power over the other two emperors!” With the tagma guarding the emperors under Thomas’ control…

“Kosaca and the army,” Enguerrand sighed. “He’s commissioned new uniforms and arms for them as well. He even authorized them to wear purple cloaks!

“Purple?” Eusebios asked, “but… the cost! How can he afford it?”

“My brother left a state treasury overflowing with solidii,” the fiscally gifted Enguerrand said, a hint of pride in his voice, before the melancholy of the present overwhelmed that small light. “Thomas seems intent to use every penny Basil saved. They aren’t tyrian purple, mind you – some darker, almost blue knockoff shade I heard merchants in Acre have been hawking as ‘imperial’ for years. But still…”

“Will they still have the helms as well?” Eusebios asked. During the coronation procession, the talk of the city had been the helmets of Thomas’ personal escort – dark steel capped with a single headed eagle, pointed left. Some mumbled that on a map that meant the eagle was looking West…

“Yes… every one of the two thousand soldiers will have them,” Enguerrand complained. Eusebios did not want to think about the cost. Purple – even cheap, knockoff purple - was an expensive dye.

thomasguards.jpg

A kentarchos in Thomas’ Hispanikon tagma, also know as the ‘purple cloaks.’

“Are either of the other emperors…”

“The Empress Sophie has announced that the Basilikon Toxotai will personally guard the Emperor Heraklios, and the Emperor Alexios’ mother has, according to my sources, been in contact with people within the Crusader States to form a Latinikon guard for the squalling child,” Enguerrand shook his head. “Some Latin, they tell me – Serlo de Hauteville.”

“There’s going to be a bloodbath,” Eusebios said unnecessarily.

“We sail tomorrow for Spain,” Enguerrand looked out of the litter uneasily. “We need to be in position. Thomas will undoubtedly triumph, Eusebios – his men are ready, they are here, and more importantly, he has the army. After he disposes of Alexios, Mauretania will be up for grabs. When his legates arrive in Basiliopolis, I want my flag already flying. With Lusitania and Mauretania, we need only slightly shove to push that Spaniard out of the way and dominate Spain.”

“What will Thomas do, though? You’ll be stripping imperial prerogatives to appoint Exarchs…”

“It won’t matter,” Enguerrand turned back. “He’ll be preoccupied with Heraklios. Alexios and his mother will be easy to get rid of – the boy is half Latin, she’s the daughter of the hated King of the Franks. Empress Sophie is popular, and Heraklios will be… less pliant,” Enguerrand smiled. “By the time Thomas can turn around, I want most, if not all of Spain flying my banner. After a fratricidal war, he’d be stupid to attempt to take on a united… what’s that?”

Outside, the noise of the market had changed, almost imperceptibly. The hawkers had gone silent. Eusebios looked out as well – the stone walls around them were dark, in shadow. The people that passed by were hustling, hurrying – eager to get from the dangerous alleys into the sunlight of the open market.

“Imbeciles!” Enguerrand shouted at the litter-bearers, “My villa is straight down the street! Yet again you make a wrong turn!” He leaned back into the litter itself and sighed. “Incompetent fools – they’ve been on hire for two months, and they continuously make wrong turns.” He leaned back out. “Backtrack, you fools!”

Eusebios slowly felt the litter begin to turn around, before there was a sudden, jarring lurch to the right. The right side of the litter dipped, then Eusebios, Enguerrand, and the litter all tumbled to the ground.

Eusebios’ face landed on a mud splattered pillow, as he heard the noise of feet running. He swore under his breath at the litter bearers – they would likely suffer a beating, or worse – probably worse, knowing Eusebios’ lord. He could hear Enguerrand cursing and swearing as well.

“Goddamn sons of…” As Eusebios started to turn to his liege, there was a slight thwip, then another, and Enguerrand’s voice died into a gurgle. By the time Eusebios had turned around, he saw his liege falling backwards, two small bolts sticking from his neck, blood, spraying everywhere.

Assassination.

Eusebios scrambled to his feet. He needed to run. He needed to alert the City Prefect. Yet the ruins of the toppled litter blocked his path. He started to clamber over part of the mess, when a dark figure stepped into his path, dark robes billowing behind him. Strapped to each of his arms, underneath his sleeves, Eusebios could see what looked to be two miniature crossbows.

For a moment, the logothetes breathed in relief – evidently those had been what had killed Enguerrand, and the man was making no movement to rearming them. Yet, Eusebios’ relief turned into horror as the figure merely flicked his hands upside down. The small, angry forms of two more hand crossbows, cocked and loaded, stared the logothetes in the face.

Eusebios had only a moment to look up at that cowl-shielded face, and for a moment he saw brown eyes, devoid of emotion, staring into his soul. There was the soft, sharp whine of twine, as Eusebios felt the bolts tear into him.

As he fell back, bleeding out from a pair of bolts in his throat, his dying ears picked up a terrifying call echo outside of the upturned litter.

“Sic semper tyrannus! La mort aux ennemis du vrai Empereur!”

==========*==========

assassinblack.jpg

So the blood has already begun to flow… who killed Enguerrand? And why? All the Emperors are gathering personal guards around them, when will the first blow fall?

EDIT - As for Serlo de Hauteville, he happens to be my favorite character from a remarkable new AAR. "Furor Normanicus," simply put, is one of the best written AARs I have seen, and The_Guiscard has a cast full of memorable characters. Just so happens Serlo is my favorite, so he had to make a cameo! I'd urge all of you, if you haven't had the chance and you have some free time, to head over and check it out. Be forewarned though - once you start reading, you won't want to stop! :)

Last edited:
My money is on Rodrigo ordering Enguerrand’s assassination; his death removes an ally (albeit a self-aggrandizing one) of Thomas and allows Rodrigo, as Hyperexarch, to seize Enguerrand’s lands and strengthen his powerbase in the event of a civil war.

Of course, my predictive skills have a less-than-stellar record…

The assassins were speaking in Latin and French, so it seems as if they were meant to look like Drogo's minions. My bet is that these were agents of Thomas looking for a casus belli against France. The eagles on his guards helms look west. Maybe he took his father's dying wishes seriously. If he can't go against the Turk, I don't think that the army would mind taking out the only other power that could come close to endangering Imperial lands.

Thomas also clearly wants Rome. Perhaps he will implicate the Papacy as well and become the emperor who recovered the West. Maybe even the entire West... The Exarchates are not technically part of the Empire. Perhaps Thomas wants to incorporate them too. What better way than to kill off the exarchs. Thomas would then have to move in to keep order, conveniently putting his armies in range to strike France (or Gaul as it is about to be renamed). If he starts his campaign with killing an exarch nominally loyal to him, who would suspect Thomas?

In summary, I think Thomas has big plans for the former Western Roman Empire. He can save his war with the Turk for later in his career (after all he is still very young), and he will placate the Army and Nobility by gaining more lands that he could give to them (or maybe to the neodynatoi that he is cozying up to). He could even placate the church by deposing that apostate Patriarch in Rome :eek: Everyone is happy, even Hagios Basileous since there will be no war with the Turk in the foreseeable future.

Of course Mehtar has a big hand in the planning of this...

4th Dimension - I'm not as familiar with the life and death of Stefan Dusan (or medieval Serbian history altogether, outside of the Battle of Kosovo), but from your description of him, it sounds rather dead on. You have any links to his bio aside from wiki? (I'm planning on wiki-ing it later today).
Well I wikied him in order to see what westerners see of him in order not to overpower him. The facts are that he:
1. gained throne by going against his father and eventualy locked him up in a monastery (his father on the other hand was considered before being crowned to be blind, and then when the time was right to attack his oponents in quest for throne, he proclamed a miracle has happened, and that he could see (thereby getting larger support), which is similar to Manuel and his apperant inability to move)
2. during his reign his state reached it's peak and had serious enlargment, and it was mostly done trough conquest (now we Serbs would like to claim that he was a superb commander because of his numerable conquests, but if I want to be objective he was helped by civil war in Roman Empire and Turks breathing down their neck)
3. died relatively young, even for middle ages (was rumored he was poisoned by Hungarians).
4. left behind a son not as strong as him with TOO many land and a way too strong nobility which soon broke apart the Empire
5. short time before he died, a new even more deadly foe that was plaguing Romans apeared on the scene. It seems his conquests, by weakening the Romans brought forth a relativly new and more deadly oponent.
6. His own overextending the kingdom, in the end might have accelerated it's later fall to the Turks, who were able to defeat it's nobility peace meal in two separate battles (Marica where they defeated and after that vasalised the southern lords, and later Kosovo, where Lords of Raska fell), because he never had time to centralise his kingdom enough (tough he did try it by implementing laws of the Romanioi which he favoured because of his stay in Konstantinopole during his and his farther's exile).

But then I might be overblowing stuff.

yes bu the way you describe him,balling while on the thrown clearly practicing for the orders he must give.yelling while in the stadium=trying to make himself heard while the crowd cheers, meaning hes going to be quite an orator.and making fists?clearly hes a warrior.
how does Alexios Megas II sound.by the way i remember a little thing from the if gamers were emperors interim that mentioned the persians under alexandros megas II what could that mean :confused: or am i wrong

Thank you, General_BT, for your highlyflattering words on my own “Furor Normannicus”, and for giving Serlo this delightful cameo appearance. I think you have done a great job in portraying him along the lines I myself have tried to establish his character and make it come across. Considering that my own Serlo is married to a Byzantine noblewoman, it’s also nicely appropriate to see him allying himself with a Byzantine Emperor’s mother (even though I am so far behind in the action of your delightful AAR that I am entirely unfamiliar with the cast of characters of your current update). And even your choice of putting Serlo into North Africa was more appropriate than you can even guess, as my own AAR may show. Not to mention your utterly fitting picture of him.

You did and continue to do a wonderful job with your AAR and its cast of delightfully treacherous charcters. Thank you, and keep it up!