• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Sumeragi: I am going to have to work fast then to prevent the ROKA from taking Manchuria. The region deserves to be under rightful Japanese control, so I will have to go on the offensive in northeast asia soon. I have a massive batch of new transport ships under construction which will be complete in November, then Japan will have the transport capacity for a massive offensive on the mainland.

@red1: Basically, yes. The American's are hurling everything they can get their hands on to throw into the Iraqi war zone. I can't say its helping them much, their forces are in a bitter slugging match with ECON armies and it is not resulting in any major breakthroughs, at least for now.

@Midge: Not really possible I am afraid. Chinese forces as well as Myanmar Army remnants (fighting on under Russian command) are heavily entrenched in the northern parts of Burma, places that are heavily mountainous and would require more blood and treasure than I can afford to spend to take for only a temporary gain. I already possess good defensive positions, and will stay on the defensive in central Burma rather than attack there.

@TemplarComander: They got that IC through economic mobilization events when WW3 started. Their base amount was not changed, but their effective got a massive boost due to a fully centralized wartime economy. Russia is similar, with about 600 ish IC. However, the USA is still the giant regarding IC, with over 900 effective. Japan BTW has about 540ish effective IC.

@Nathan Madien: I was trying to find a picture of the box art for the Russian version of HOI2 as a clever response, but unfortunately I could not find one. :D

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

On the home front, thousands of Japanese soldiers are mobilizing in Nagoya for a massive new Japanese operation. With the seas around Japan relatively secure from enemy naval threats, the navy can transport these troops in relative safety to their destination: Vietnam.
vietnamoperationprepara.png

On the European front, the Balkans are crumbling away to Russian and SCO forces. Croatia, Kosovo, and now Macedonia have surrendered. The last remnants of the Bosnian army are expected to surrender within a mere hours, the Greek army is being pushed back by massive Turkish attacks, and a pocket of NATO troops in southern Serbia is under relentless siege by SCO forces in the region, not expected to hold out for much longer despite massive supply airlifting efforts. With the Balkans falling to SCO forces, they will soon be able to put their full military efforts on the central German and Scandinavian fronts.
balkansfalling.png

Back in Southeast Asia, Japanese combat operations against the Peoples Republic of Vietnam commence. With massive naval fire support from cruisers and aircraft carrier fighters, thousands of Japanese troops storm ashore near the Vietnamese city of Da Nang. Hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned, local PAVN (Peoples Army of Vietnam) troops are forced to flee their positions and retreat.
battleofdanang.png

Japanese troops have now successfully established a foothold in Vietnam. Two Japanese field armies backed by an entire mechanized infantry corps are now available for action in Southeast Asia, having successfully cut Vietnam and its powerful army in two.
japaneseinvietnam.png

On the Middle Eastern Front, Israeli forces are on their last legs. The remnants of the IDF are under siege in their final strongholds, the city of Tel Aviv and the intricate urban centres of the Gaza Strip. The IDF, with almost no fuel, supplies, ammunition, or soldiers left to keep resisting, are given a simple order: to hold out for as long as possible while massive columns of Israeli refugees flee the country through the port of Tel Aviv to the relative safety of Italy, Cyprus, France, or even SCO ally Turkey. They face a dangerous journey, with the eastern Mediterranean being a site of intense activity by ECON and SCO naval forces. The exodus from Israel however continues unabated, while ECON armies are constantly hammering the heavily fortified outskirts of Tel Aviv with intense artillery and tank fire.
israelslaststand.png

Back in Southeast Asia, Japanese and Thai forces are ordered to storm the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi. The city is heavily fortified, but must be taken to prevent enemy reinforcements from entering the city and making the capture of Hanoi as grueling and drawn out as the capture of Yangon in Myanmar. To aid in the attack, 4 brigades of Japanese paratroopers are landed in the city itself to seize important targets and help clear paths through the streets for Japanese heavy armour to advance unmolested. The fighting however is still ferocious, with PAVN forces fighting ferociously for every inch of ground taken.
battleofhanio.png

Finally, after several days of brutal fighting, Hanoi is cleared of PAVN resistance. Japanese forces now control the Vietnamese capital, a barrier that will help prevent Vietnamese or even Chinese reinforcements from breaking through to aid their allies now trapped in the south of the country.
hanoifalls.png

Back in the Middle East, things have started to look up for coalition forces in the region. Against all odds and all hope, Kuwaiti army forces were able to hold out long enough for massive Coalition reinforcements to arrive to the Iraqi war zone. Thousands of troops, the majority being Americans with some small British reinforcements, now drive forward into Iraq in the face of intense resistance by ECON forces. The fighting is massively damaging to local infrastructure and the environment, especially as ECON forces destroy huge numbers of oil wells when they withdraw, just as Saddam Hussein's army did in the 1991 gulf war.
iraqibreakout.png

59943141cda6ds.jpg

With Hanoi secured, Japanese and allied forces begin to invade Southern Vietnam. In conjunction with Thai and Singapore Army units, PAVN forces are cleared from far eastern Cambodia.
tighteningthenoose.png

Only a short time later, Japanese tanks spearhead the drive along the Vietnamese coast, smashing PAVN forces while en route to Qui Non. Japanese troops are given a very basic order: to dismantle all PAVN resistance and march into Ho Chi Minh City, a move that will most likely force Vietnam to surrender.
dismantlingpavn.png

pdn07080911c.jpg

To the north, combined Japanese and Thai forces are struggling to drive Chinese troops out of northern Laos, in the Luang Prabang region. Here, a Chinese mobile corps, including a brigade of heavy Type 99 main battle tanks, fight ferociously to hold this strategic region. If Thai forces can take and secure it, the mountain passes into Laos will be sealed and Chinese forces will be unable to advance without committing huge amounts of troops and resources into the effort, something they are not expected to want to do. (also note the completion of the final expansion to the Japanese nuclear weapons facility)
luangprabang.png

718485952.jpg

Finally, back on the home front, more guided missile cruisers are completed by Japanese shipyards for service in the Japanese navy. Another 3 vessels will be ready by the end of August. All six of these ships will then be attached to the Ryujo battlegroup of the Japanese navy.
morecgs2.png

@Sumeragi: I am going to have to work fast then to prevent the ROKA from taking Manchuria. The region deserves to be under rightful Japanese control, so I will have to go on the offensive in northeast asia soon. I have a massive batch of new transport ships under construction which will be complete in November, then Japan will have the transport capacity for a massive offensive on the mainland.

From the limited info available, I believe you'll have to land in the holdouts of DPRK to have any chance of moving into Manchuria before the Koreans do. It's highly likely that should it be ROK that completely controls the peninsula, Japan would have to go through Vladivostok to have a shot at Manchuria, and that's not a good position.

However, if you can risk it, you might land on the Liaodong Peninsula after Korea start the Northern March. With PLA forces concentrating on the Sino-Korean borders, you might be able to succeed in a sea-land assault, allowing you to control the industrial heart of Shenyang. It really depends on how ROKA acts.

An invasion of Manchuria will hopefully cause Russian troops to move out of Europe. I find that Korea usually conquers most of china and a lot of Russia with their huge army. Take those territories first and let the massive Korean army just advance like mad, or take control of them. BTW, are you part of NATO right now?

An invasion of Manchuria will hopefully cause Russian troops to move out of Europe. I find that Korea usually conquers most of china and a lot of Russia with their huge army. Take those territories first and let the massive Korean army just advance like mad, or take control of them. BTW, are you part of NATO right now?

He's not. He's part of JAPAN.

I'm gonna miss Israel. It seems ECON will definitely win their battle there. :(

From the limited info available, I believe you'll have to land in the holdouts of DPRK to have any chance of moving into Manchuria before the Koreans do. It's highly likely that should it be ROK that completely controls the peninsula, Japan would have to go through Vladivostok to have a shot at Manchuria, and that's not a good position.

However, if you can risk it, you might land on the Liaodong Peninsula after Korea start the Northern March. With PLA forces concentrating on the Sino-Korean borders, you might be able to succeed in a sea-land assault, allowing you to control the industrial heart of Shenyang. It really depends on how ROKA acts.

If the plan is an amphibious assault, I would recommend heavy air cover and possibly a para-drop as well. Or you could always para-drop into a coastal province that doesn't have a beach, so it won't be garrisoned, and then bring in ground troops via transport. You could try landing in ... Jinxi with a para-drop and then bringing in ground forces. It gives immediate access to 5 provinces and 2 of those provinces lead to the border with Mongolia which could probably help cut supply lines ... unless they just grab their supplies from Russia instead.

But yeah, I would suggest a para-drop in Jinxi followed by outward expansion with ground troops.

EDIT :
Shame about Israel. Their Exodus reminds me of one from Egypt a while back ...

If Israel manages to hold out for the US to break through Syria, there might be a chance.

Or the US will probably re-release them if they manage to get over to the Levant

Wait if Israel is annexed does that mean I can't go overseas to study there now?

Korea

This is not an update, but rather, I would like to share something I have been pondering about for the story in this game: what to do with Korea. There are two major ideas I have for what Japan should do to Korea.

1. Invasion and annexation. This was my early idea for what to do with Korea. The idea is that when the war with the Chinese is over, the ROK would by that time have been able to defeat the DPRK and reunify the peninsula. Then, when the time comes for Japan to attack the USA and its allies, Japanese forces would invade and annex the Korean peninsula, turning it into a province of the new Japanese empire. Waging such a war against the powerful ROKA would be not only a challenge but it would also be pretty entertaining, since Japanese forces would have to fight very hard against the powerful ROKA to gain victory. Japan would also gain control of new resources and a lot of new heavy industries. (the ROK has about 70ish effective IC with 44 base IIRC, North Korea has only 8 effective IC so the combined gain for Japan should be about 78 to 80 new IC).

2. Alliance with a unified Republic of Korea. This idea has been coming to me recently but it is somewhat controversial to me. The idea is that the Koreans would more than likely see who is becoming the dominant power in Asia and decide it is better to be a Japanese partner (like Thailand and Singapore, which are getting greatly rewarded for their loyalty) rather than being a Japanese enemy, surrounded by Japanese forces on all sides only to be invaded and annexed. Japan, instead of fighting the Koreans, could offer the ROK their goal of national reunification by helping them to finish off the DPRK in exchange for Korea becoming a Japanese ally. Doing so would gain for Japan a powerful new ally, one that could become something like Japan's watchdog for northeastern Asia. However, the ROK would be such a strong ally that it could be considered to be gamey just to make them a Japanese partner without any fighting. The ROK has extensive ties with the United States as well, so they could be under a lot of pressure to remain an American partner. However, the Americans have not exactly been doing much to help the ROK out in its war with North Korea. Also, Japan is not exactly willing to offer the Koreans to make some kind of "Greater Korea" where they get to annex manchuria or primorsk or something, which might make the ROK decide instead to stay with their American allies rather than Japan.

To summarize:
1. Annexation of Korea
-Korea under complete Japanese control, Japan gains direct control of massive Korean industries and resources for the Japanese war effort. However, Japan would lose the opportunity of gaining a strong ally, and may not put Korean IC to the most effective usage that an independent Korea could.

2. Alliance with Korea
- Japan offers the ROK an alliance, sparing the Korean's from Japanese invasion and helping the ROK finish off the heavily entrenched and massive KPA forces still holding out in Northeastern Korea. Japan gains a powerful new ally which will fight alongside the Japanese against the Chinese/Russians. However, an alliance with the ROK could be considered as being very gamey, allowing Japan to not have to fight the powerful ROK, which has strong ties to the United States. Also, Japan is unwilling to allow for some kind of Korean annexation of territories beyond the peninsula, like Manchuria and Primorsk, which Japan wants to control instead.

So, I would like to put this question to all of my readAARs here. Do you want a Korea that is annexed by Japan, or a Korea that is a partner of Japan?

I eagerly await your thoughts.

I would be in favour of Option Number 2.

Korea will be a very powerful ally, and given that the forces of the US seem to be embroiled in heavy fighting in the Middle East, while their homeland is invaded for the first time in over a century by a meager power, and their allies in Europe and Israel are smashed without receiving, from what I can tell, even token support of US Fighter Aircraft. Given that the US looks like it is going downhill in power and the European forces of NATO are on the retreat in most areas, as well as American forces in the South and in the Middle East (getting rescued by Canada, Mexico, and the Dutch doesn't help), I think it would be very reasonable for the ROK to drift from mainly relying on America with a moderate reliance on Japan, to mainly relying on Japan - who they know they can count on given Japan's military involvements, and proximity to Korea - with a moderate reliance on the US.

My main problem with Option 1 is that are you sure Korea would be pinned down by DPRK long enough for you to defeat China and Russia? The way I see it, it's more likely that Korea would arrive in Beijing first, unless you do the daring action of hitting Liaodong, and even then, I would say Korea still has the potential to gobble up much land, gaining the strength to effectively counter any Japanese attempts to expand onto the continent. In addition, there is a possibility that the US might come after you (unless you rig the events).

However, Option 2 is even more difficult. Since the war would have intensified Korean nationalism, it's highly likely that any sort of alliance with Korea would have to come at a very high price, ranging from recognizing Korean claims to Manchuria and Primorsk, to a very humiliating apology for historical "crimes". Given the course that Japan has set itself on, any negotiations with Korea will fail, so Option 2 is impossible unless we have a very large change in the Japanese leadership.

All in all, I can see only Option 1 being the choice. It's a decision that could break Japan given how powerful the ROKA is, and you might just be kicked out of the continent completely. But it would be worth the ride.

I'll be reading other's opinions and commenting on them. It's fun seeing how my two homelands (Japanese/Korean here) could be allies or enemies depending on how people choose

PS: One thing I would say should be considered: A nuclear Japan would lead to a nuclear Korea, since even in RL, ROK has a far mroe advanced nuclear infrastructure and technology. Any sort of hint that Japan might expand into the Peninsula or develop nuclear weapons, and there will be a crash program in Korea, with a nuclear enemy.

Regarding Korean army movements into China, I should probably mention that the ROK is unable to advance any further beyond the Yalu river. The Chinese/Russians put up some strong defenses in Manchuria and the ROKA has been completely unable to break through. Also, the ROK is currently completely unable to push DPRK forces out of their final strongholds, so the ROKA's advance has been effectively halted.

Frankly, I agree with Sumeragi, it seems Korea is unlikely to want to ally with Japan unless serious Japanese concessions are made.
So annex the buggers and recreate the empire from 1936

Regarding Korean army movements into China, I should probably mention that the ROK is unable to advance any further beyond the Yalu river. The Chinese/Russians put up some strong defenses in Manchuria and the ROKA has been completely unable to break through. Also, the ROK is currently completely unable to push DPRK forces out of their final strongholds, so the ROKA's advance has been effectively halted.

Yet the problem is what would happen if you start your own march on Beijing. The PRC will most likely need to lessen the defenses along the borders, which could give the Koreans the hole into which it can drive in. I can't be too optimistic about the PRC defenses.

2 - The Korean Army would be a very usefull asset for an invasion of the USA. I mean, it would be ashamed if 40 advanced divisions went to wast...

Then Capture and transfer use to the Japanese Army