• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm no Latin scholar myself, but I did a little research, and a latin Cancellarius seems to be more of a judicial court advisory position of little rank. The equivalent to the medieval "Chancellor," is more suited to the rank of consul, in the Imperial administration, the chief representative of the nobility/senate and foreign ambassador. The Spymaster would be best named as magister officiorum (Master of the Offices), historically the master of roman agentes in the late Western Empire. The Court Chaplain would probably be Pontifex Maximus, or just Pontifex, but since we're dealing in whole other religions here, there's really no saying. The Emperor was religious head, in Christian Rome.

Wouldn't Hvitserk be Latinized to its translation, or if they did not know the meaning, something like Vitsercus :p

I didn't think of changing the Hvitserks. Now that Jorvik is history, I may do this. Vitsercus means nothing, but sounds good. Fabius wears a toga, no white shirt anyway. (a little different from Roman ones though... the climate is not the same.)

I'm no Latin scholar myself, but I did a little research, and a latin Cancellarius seems to be more of a judicial court advisory position of little rank. The equivalent to the medieval "Chancellor," is more suited to the rank of consul, in the Imperial administration, the chief representative of the nobility/senate and foreign ambassador. The Spymaster would be best named as magister officiorum (Master of the Offices), historically the master of roman agentes in the late Western Empire. The Court Chaplain would probably be Pontifex Maximus, or just Pontifex, but since we're dealing in whole other religions here, there's really no saying. The Emperor was religious head, in Christian Rome.

Good to know. Cancellarius is more or less the direct translation, so I used this term. He is an advisor, and the ranks are mixed anyway.
Magister officiorum is a good title I should have found myself. But magister inquisitiones means sth. along the lines of Master of Investigations/Research, and it has that nice touch of inquisition...
Pontifex Maximus is the title I wanted to use, too. But modding this would mean changing all the other Catholics chaplains. I avoided the office in the narration, and if I have to, I'll use the Latin transcription, the pope is still called the pontifex.
Anyway, this research tells me it got your interest. That's good to read, and such contributions may help in the long run. (If I was too lazy...hopefully not.)

Paulina got exorcised a little early. So for now, no lunacy, but in the future, it will return in some event. Anyway, on to the next Chapter!

Chapter IX – Comes Fabius Hvitserk Vitsercus of Argil

The countess of Thomond contested our new conquest Conaces. Another cold war, I thought. Our new elite troops, the first standing legion of our young history, was superior to the Thomondian attackers, and I settled for waiting until they gave up. They had different plans though and moved through other Hibernian counties, maybe to fall on our backs. Well, if they wanted it that way... we didn't need to fight if her castle in Bunratty would fall. As Julius, elevated to comes of Conaces, gave the order to lay siege to the castle, a precarious message arrived from Northumbria. As he read it, he could just shake his head in disbelief. Being a part of this family is dangerous. I can't remember hearing of my ancestors going at each other's throats except maybe in a holmgang or in battle. Rough times back then. But here, Romulus set the example; Julius' father followed. With the same motivation: land. Fabius, the comes of Northumbria and (How could it be any different? Like Romulus, I said) princeps Arcadius' nephew, was murdered. A little boat accident, as far as I know. He should have known better than to use this method again, all fingers were directly pointed on him. Would anything happen to comitissa Paulina, he would inherit Northumbria. But I guess that like Romulus, he will have to retire from politics for some time. Historia repititur (history repeats itself)...

deQnYMl.jpg

j4xnaMV.jpg

We took the castle, but the countess was not there. Her servants told us she was old and dying in a monastery; without her, the war would end. The 14th August, the old woman died, and we could return to the city. At our arrival, something had changed. It was summer and relatively warm, but nothing extraordinary. Dux Constantine was released, much to Cornelius' displease. No church bells were ringing to announce our return. And the Caledonian priests were not there to see how many of us were left. Since our successful invasion of their homeland, they seemed to enjoy any report of casualties we had to make. True Christian brothers in faith. But now that they weren't there, we assumed they went off preaching elsewhere or had died. The answer was as different as surprising. Pontifex Martinus had thoroughly studied any Christian texts our homeland had to offer. A great scholar as he is, his studies showed that the Catholic church was as barbaric as what those leaders in Roma showed with their actions. Perhaps pope Felix IV, as a man with humble peasant origins, had similar ideas and his cause of death was different then the official version... Martinus got to some conclusions. Manichean and Bogomilist ideas were represented in his new form of Christendom as well as old practices of the early Christians. 'We are Romans. Our faith should reflect the practices of old, too.' Over two months ago, he presented his work to the Senate. Regina Paulina was immediately convinced. The man who appeared one day and cured her madness had distanced himself from the Catholic beliefs, and the Caledonian priests as well as the papal actions proved the wrongness of this Church. Most of the Senate had known the time before Romulus' idea of conversion, and never recognized the pope, residing where we should. Thus, life had changed in Nova Roma. We were now 'Cathars'. One aspect of Martinus' thought certainly brought the regina on his side, the fact that women were equals to men. This will take some time to accept. But Martinus is right. It will be even more satisfying to throw the wicked pope and his cardinals out of Roma.

gnK3cph.jpg

8UfX3Gl.jpg

The whole nobility of Nova Roma directly converted to Martinus' teachings. Even Baldemar did, although that won't have a great impact on continental politics since his father got deposed for some reason. As a reaction from the Catholics, the old king of Wessex was the one who should bring the wrath of the pope to 'the Heretics of the North, not only claiming Roma, but also denying God's representative on earth' as the declaration of war called out. Our legions were similar in strength to whatever army Beorn could muster, so Cornelius, Julius and I planned our defence.
'We will not be able to reach Eburacum in time after assembling the legions. I fear the Saxons will take what they desire.'
The magister militum shared my point of view. 'True. But it is still populated by the Norse. And both of you know how hard it is to breach those walls.' Cornelius and I started to see what the young man planned. This was the first time he had to prove himself as magister militum, and the expectations were high. 'We will wait in Teviodale. The Saxons, after Eburacum has fallen, will march North, hopefully with seizable casualties. They will attack. Unlike the pitiful rulers of Jorvik, Wessex is in the role of attacker, and the Saxons don't know what awaits them. When they arrive here, we will show them why Hadrian built that wall. Only that we are on the other side of it.'
Cornelius concluded our planning. 'I will also get some perfecti here to give out convenenza to those few of the soldiers who adhere to Martinus' teachings. Our supply situation will give us another advantage. We know the land, we will have the fresher army when the enemy arrives... Your plan has the best chances to work. I will inform the officers.'

xTPQk8N.jpg

Although sad news reached us from Nova Roma, the morale of the legion was high and we were ready to intercept the enemy's advance. Martinus got killed while bringing his belief to the villages of our island. He was found nailed on a cross, a Caledonian pike driven through his heart. The priests seem to have hidden themselves, waiting for such an occasion. May he have reached heaven. As a sign of tolerance, and to distance ourselves more from the Catholics, the Jews were welcomed back in the regnum, bringing money and knowledge to our island.

s2SnHR7.jpg

While the murder of our first perfectus was certainly grave, battle awaited us. The Saxons had indeed sustained some casualties in Eburacum and were now camping in Northumbria. At first, they tried to advance more into Caledonian territory, but one of their scouts escaped us and reported our legion waiting for their attack. Forced to change our plans, Julius decided to attack the Saxons while they thought themselves safe. Crossing the Tweed, I couldn't help but hear Julius saying alea iacta est. Maybe I just imagined it, compared the magister militum to his namesake all those years ago. To my defence, there are people claiming he is possessed by Gaius Julius Caesar. He certainly shares his ambitions, maybe even his military genius.

fMxUvrO.jpg

Not far from Hadrian's ancient castrum Pons Aelius, we surprised the Saxon army. They were waiting for Helvetian mercenaries as reinforcements. It was truly the right moment for our attack. My flank faced one led by a bishop; even with that emissary of the pope as their leader, the legion brought them down one by one. After the battle, we saw that our right flank had suffered the least, while the left Saxon flank fell the first. A spiritual leader should be a spiritual one, and he should concentrate on the spirit, not on material things and power, as Martinus said. We ran down the fleeing Saxons before facing 1.500 Helvetians, who fought fiercely, but without any chance. Eburacum would be liberated. Julius had proven he was the right magister militum.

720PzmU.jpg

As we got to the city, Julius had to take the hardest hit in his life so far. So successful on the battlefield, but so pitiable when it comes to his parents. His mother Mélisande held Arcadius responsible for the fall of Eburacum. He was not able to defend their home from the Saxons. Her late father, 'the heroic king of Italy, Lotharingia and Burgundy would have single-handedly fought off any of those barbarians trying to take the walls of his home and would not have relied on his sons to rush to his aid'. Not her husband, who preferred murdering young and innocent children for a distinct chance of inheriting some land he did not deserve, else he would have gotten it in the first place instead of his brother. She had enough of his arbitrary ways, his gluttony, his mere presence around her. Then there were her oldest sons, a brilliant diplomat and a military genius. They should not serve such a father as rex. In conclusion, she had Arcadius killed. A shock for the young commander. He retired during the short siege of the city, and reappeared when it was time to march North again.

KoNmc2d.jpg

Peasants in Teviodale expressed their anger openly now that the legion was in Eburacum and had risen against the foreign and heretic oppressors, as their leader proclaimed it. Also, Beorn had sent his last forces in a hopeless endeavour to turn the tide of the war to Stirling. The regina joined us there to prepare the peace. Sadly, during the battle one Saxon mayor left the field, charged the old woman and maimed her, shouting 'Die, heretic!'. Honourless barbarians, attacking an old, infirm woman standing outside of the battle. In reaction, we led a furious charge and completely annihilated what was left of the Saxon army, then proceeded to crush the peasant revolt. Both surrendered. With this display of force behind us, we should be safe from any other attack. We will have time to focus on our internal affairs, and overcome the troubles of succession caused by Paulina's death due to that Saxon scum three months later.

YASg5uY.jpg

ul78qA1.jpg

Arcadius was the older one of the twins and therefore ascended to the throne. His first wife was the daughter of the former king of Wessex, but she died some time ago and he remarried the daughter of the king of West Francia, who apparently had no prejudices against us vile heretics. It seemed the failed papally approved war of Wessex provoked some unrest in the Catholic world, such that the king of Italy and Burgundy appointed a pope of his own, Simplicius II. Aldebert hadn't decided which side to choose, but needed to find a groom for his bastard daughter Agathe. The pope, whoever of the two popes was the real one, didn't approve of extra-marital affairs, and that was maybe another reason to send her to the Heretics of the North. Arcadius mostly confirmed the council of his grandmother, with his aunt Palatina as new cancellaria. She had the task to make us accept Arcadius as rex. While he certainly is a good diplomat, I think Cornelius, as the initial conqueror of Caledonia, would deserve the crown. His brother Quintus was one of the conspirators responsible of his father's assassination, a parricide, as such I could not understand why he was made comes of Eburacum. With his next act, I understood it. The diplomat he is, in the same session of the Senate Quintus earned this title, he wandered into the dungeon. 'I have to address the fate of Eburacum. Since my father's death, I was Nova Roma's arm in this province, now I have to assume my new role. Since Julius is magister militum and comes of Conaces, he cannot efficiently administrate the province. Vigilius sadly died, and Valerius is married to the countess of Gloucester, on the enemy's side in Wessex. Considering this, the next son in line in Quintus, who therefore should govern Eburacum. But he won't do it himself; as parricide, his fate lies in the dungeon.'

lUvGuDU.jpg

Palatina and Arcadius managed to control the landholders and the Senators through promises and honorary titles, avoiding a succession crisis. Thankfully, we are not reviving the old tradition of bellum civile, only some Caledonians in Devana tried to take advantage. Disturbing, although not completely unpleasant for me, was the recent activity of what the plebs started calling 'the Pope's Pikes'. The Caledonian priests were now murderers, chasing Roman magistrates. Their last victims were the regnum's quaestors. First dux Fabius of Gallovania – still refusing my duels, he found a different death I wouldn't have wished him – ,then praefectus urbanus Rutilius of Pitlochry. Well, they will die of old age soon, and I'm not seeing any other part of our homeland then the capital, so I should be safe. Before his brutal end, Fabius managed to pull through a reform of the previous ecclesiastical structures. 'Only because our church is not taking tithes, that doesn't mean the peasants of the episcopati won't have to pay taxes.' He turned around the money flow, and as it reached the Senate in the end in a more abundant form then with the previous system, all while leaving less restrictions on the people, everyone was profiting. Not everybody can be a perfecti, and we have our dream to pursue. Some concessions have to made to Martinus' teachings to keep our functioning realm alive.

mLubS2M.jpg

The last Senate conference will have an as big influence on Nova Roma's future as the one when Romulus' plan to save the Hibernian lands was accepted. Julius had led many discussions with the new quaestor, and he planned to present a new campaign. Since Paulina's death, we were focused on internal affairs. Now we had a stable regnum, and I liked to joke 'now our neighbours should fear us'. I thought only some of them had a reason to, the counts of Oriel and Dunbar as well as the king of Suðreyar. Julius would surely want to integrate Oriel into Septimius' ducatus of Ulstriacum or take what's left North of Hadrian's wall. These were the only viable ways for us as 'heretics' not to have the whole of Britannia against us, as this expansion would be justified by widely acknowledged claims.

'Many of you will have thought 'what is his plan' since I announced it. Peace has returned in Britannia since we repelled the Saxon attack. The Catholics have learned to respect our belief, or at least that they cannot do anything about it. Some of you will say we are as isolated now as we were before the Invasion of Caledonia. This may be true, but not entirely. In Hungary, King Tivadar has developed a different branch of Christendom too. He says Jesus told him of the false approach the papacy claims to have on religion and now follows Lollardy. Still, they are comparable to us in many ways. But they have something we have not: strong neighbours. All they have are pagans, whose lands are indomitable like the Germanic tribes of ancient times. What we lacked when we were truly isolated were mercenaries. Now we are known in the entire Christian world. And this is what we will use to our advantage.'

3RL57tI.jpg

That was unexpected. What would this prelude mean? We don't need any mercenaries to defeat our possible enemies. Cornelius next to me seems to get what his nephew means. After all, he was the one making the great use of the Helvetians against Caledonia. 'What he plans is mad', he told me, 'but it might just work.' My confusion about what he meant had to be cleared by Julius, as he continued his speech.

'From Conaces, I had the relations and the structure of the Hibernian realms analysed. The counties are governed from the castle of the Earl, or as themselves like to refer as kings. Their hierarchy has changed drastically over the last years, centralizing around this person and its castle, and if we take it, they will have to surrender. And the lords are not well connected. Always squabbling, they are aiming for their own goals, but would fight for their freedom as one against a foreign invader like us. But they do not have the benefice of Roman roads, and the communication between the lords is restricted to messengers. If we assemble a big enough army, combining mercenaries with our archers, we should be able, if we act swiftly, to overrun their armies before they organize their defences, assault their castles and achieve victory before the other lords even know what happens. Hibernia will be ours before the Britannians even think about a combined counter-attack. I've asked quaestor Sextus, and we can easily afford a big mercenary company. Long enough, Hibernia withstood Roman rule. Now we can change it.'

This was Julius' plan. Bellum Hibernicum. I know his abilities as magister militum, and I will support him. Cornelius was right, and we had campaigned long enough together to know it. Weaker elements of the Senate were fearing that the Britannians would soon be united against us, and they would have an enormous numerical superiority. Recovery from such a war would be incredibly difficult. They would all fall over us like vultures on a dying person. But such an opportunity would not present itself too often. The holy orders would be mobilized against us if we wait longer. We defeated Wessex, but if 4.000 knights would complete their army, we would have a much harder time. Eventually, rex Arcadius had the last word: He trusted his twin brother and his talent as organizer. The Company of the Rose was hired, and assembled with the Roman archers in Conaces. This September 964 would either be the beginning of Roman Hibernia or the end of Roman Caledonia. All this lasted on our shoulders. The fate of our dream for Nova Roma.

Last edited:
The next two weeks I'm on vacation, so this week I'll try to write two chapters, I have enough time for that, exam time has ended. And for now Julius' possession will compensate the lack of lunacy a bit, but the next rulers will be mad again. After this bit of information, on to Chapter X.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter X – Fabius Vitsercus and Julius' plan

There was no turning back as our 4.500 troops entered Breifne. The countess there was the weakest target and adjacent to Conaces. We absolutely squashed around 950 Hibernians who tried to defend the county, and there were only 400 left trying to hold Dromahair until relief arrived. The Italian condottieri were disciplined and effective, and with our archers drowning eventual resistance in arrows, the defenders were swiftly dealt with. The plan seemed to work. Breifne was ours, and none of those 'kings' had provided any assistance to the defenders. The advantage of using mercenaries is obvious in this strategy: Seeing the absolute superiority, the limited losses and the chance of earning easy money, Captain Patrizio could replace the fallen Italians with Hibernians willing to join the Company of the Rose. Money is always a great motivation for those haven't gone through the consolamentum. Some of the new troops would sell their whole family if the price is right. We went from worst enemy to employer for those sell-swords.

CNm38IY.jpg

Thomond fell after we surprised their army and the Ormondian one. We were unable to stop a messenger alerting the lord of Wexford, so we had to stop their counter before it started. The 'king' of Ormond died shortly afterwards, but before the weakened province was our next victim. The young new ruler was still in Nenagh though and we had to assault the castle and the bishopric, taking heavier losses. Our advance had to wait for reinforcements from Italia Patrizio promised. Our campaign already left a mark in the Catholic world, in a sign of unity Italia resigned their own pope and accepted the Roman authorities.
'This was not planned. The campaign should disrupt their unity, not provide more. On the other side, it shows that they are fearing us, the 'Heretics of the North'!'
Julius agreed with me. 'They will double their vigilance. Patrol the frontiers as intensively as humanly possible. We are strong, but we can't take on the whole of Britannia yet. We will have to change our tactics. But only after we have taken Desmond. They are isolated from the other Catholics and if we patrol the borders too they won't be able to inform their possible saviours.'
Cornelius had the next idea to ensure our expansion: 'We control most of Hibernia now. What those 'kings' all aspire is the title of High King of Ireland. We have shown that the rex of Nova Roma deserves this title. We can then claim to unite what is ours, like we will do with the Caledonian territories left to integrate. Also it will calm down some of the clanns when we continue their legacy.'
Cornelius was the best diplomat of us legati, and he was right. Desmond would fall like those 'kings' before, and the rest of Hibernia would have to bend their knee to their rightful rex!

kKcVbyO.jpg

With the same procedure, Desmond was freed of the pope. The army awaiting orders, we had them secure the border while we went to Nova Roma. 'Veni,vidi,vici' was Julius' brief explanation for the campaign. Detailing it more, we naturally put a special weight on our heroic actions on the battlefield, before we proposed the coronation to rex of Hibernia. A great triumph was held in our honour, and although some of the more zealous followers of Martinus' teachings criticised that we killed in offensive wars, they were mostly appeased with the fact that the Catholics of the Company of the Rose did most of the fighting. The rex absolved the triumph with a relic of St.Patrick he got from his father, and in the end he was crowned as rex Hibernicum, not by a bishop as common in the Catholic world, not by an Elect of our Church either. The Senate elected Julius to crown Arcadius. He was awarded all the conquered lands, and if somebody made Arcadius rex of Hibernia, it was him. Achievements instead of a ecclesiastical ceremony should legitimize his rule. As it was not only his, but Nova Roma's rule. At the same occasion, Palatina left, as Baldemar inherited the mere barony of Isenburg from his father. If there were any hopes for Germania to become Roman, they were long dead and buried, even more so with their son Theodorius' death.

mQ4gUH2.jpg

Oriel was next, to be incorporated into Septimius' ducatus of Ulstriacum. Overwhelming the defenders in the field before they could organize themselves, we had really perfected our strategy, our losses always much smaller then the enemy's. Fear may play a role in these clear victories. I saw their command structure falling apart, heard them screaming under our charge that 'the devil worshippers arrive, their dark lord with them!' before their headless attempt to flee. Such a wrong look at our theology! We are imprisoned in our bodies by the devil, who separated us from heaven imprisoning us in the material world. Therefore, women and men are equal, only different in their corporal hull. As a result, they are right in some way. One strike they landed on us before they shattered, and the result was weakening us more then if the battle would have costed more lives, most of our army still being the Company of the Rose and not our legions. Dux Cornelius of Dunedinum had led the charge, and one brave Orielian soldier managed to cut off his left arm. Too grave, the wound was responsible for the legatus not to see the year 967. We will remember his deeds, may his soul be free. In no need to hurry, we waited until the defenders of Clones gave up, what happened very fast, still under the impression of their crushing defeat.

Z8gsYn5.jpg

Informing Nova Roma of Cornelius' death, we learned that regina Agathe was starting to enjoy her life away from Lutetia, without the weight of her extra-marital birth looming over her. Besides their purple bordered togas, the Senators had started to wear mainly blue tunics, as Agathe introduced this new fashion adopting the colour of her West Francian homeland. The rex was ignoring the 'Lutetian fashion', but allowed her to freely use his money. He himself distinguished himself from the Senators anyway, but as Agathe started wearing these new tunics in the Senate, most followed this new trend, but without the fleurs de lis she had woven into it. Still bored, she spiced things up by plotting against Julius. As nobody would have even thought of joining this plot against him, it was seen more as an attempt to get some more attention on her. Julius commented this in the Senate with the words: 'I heard of it. A joke, I hope. I don't want to address any of you at March's ides with 'et tu'.'

EDdqT5x.jpg

Septimius replaced Cornelius as legatus as we marched against the only Hibernian who really called himself King. The Taran army was more numerous, but still proved no match for us. The youngest of the rex' brothers, Galerius, would rule Cildare from now on. The last remaining Hibernian lord was Fergus of Ossory, a man whose riches attained almost legendary status. For such a mere Earl, his treasury almost counted as many denarii as did our full coffers. But his avarice was almost as legendary, and he had hired only 1.500 Helvetians to prevent our attack. Maybe he thought these would be enough to discourage us, but he was wrong. The Helvetians were not there when we clashed with the Ossorian levies, and when they were, Captain Patrizio captured the leader of the other Company himself. I heard him say 'You chose the wrong side this time. Rule number one: Only fight if there is a chance to win.'. Truly a bad day for Barthélemy, his men slaughtered and he himself ransomed. A contract to forget. Fergus on the other side lost his title, but kept his fortune. Like those Hibernian leprechauns, never separating from their gold, he must have hidden it somewhere and taken it with him as he left. A pity we couldn't take all those denarii from this greedy greeny.

ti9nBDp.jpg

Only Brittany and Suðreyar held some land in Hibernia. Just in case, the Rose stayed hired if we would fight another war soon. Right now, I was occupied assisting to the opening night of the 'In Vino Veritas', the rex' tavern he bought to get a better hang of business. Fine wine from Agathe's homeland and a surprise promised by Arcadius made most of the Senate come. That wine... I think I'm drinking too much. Those turnips are good, but make me thirsty. And where does that bard come from? Certainly not from the isles, from the land of grraaapes mayybee. Ththat wwwiinnne... Hannniiibaal's elllephaants juust stoormeddd the roooom! Annnnd they arrrrre piiiinnkkk. To arrrmmsss! Jusst onne morre gllasssss...

Nzq7cHQ.jpg

The old king of Wessex was no more. We weren't able to return him the favour of feeling how it is to be the attacked. But his death gave magister inquisitiones Valens an idea: Arcadius' oldest son, from his first marriage, was the grandson of a Wessexian king. If the crown of the Southern Saxon kingdoms would be disputed, we could press princeps Arcadius' claim on one of them. That would mean getting rid of the uncontested king Beornræd, but he assured he had the means to do it. Were we zealous believers, our answer would be clear, but we have an Imperium to revive! And scheming was an integral part of the Senate, so assassinating an outsider, an enemy of the realm, for a change was most welcome. Valens went to Winchester, activated his dubious agents and they started their work. It was all but cheap, though. 'Beornræd is a barbarian, but a king nonetheless. He will be guarded, and my contacts will require high payment for the risk they're taking.' In the end, it did cost us half our treasury, 1000 denarii, before after three attempts the killers lost their patience and used the good old method of head-on-assault. Valens' genius contacts even shouted 'gloria pro Nova Roma'! Our involvement thus became public knowledge, but at least Beornræd met his end. His five-year-old son Sæweald succeeded him, and some Anglo-Saxons had started aspiring the crown themselves. This was what we needed.

txdh6KE.jpg

With internal strife even when we got to their army, the Earl of Middlesex barely holding the rivalling commanders together, yelling 'There is the enemy! Not here. Will you stop fighting each other, you fools!', the battle of Sarum was a general's dream. The Lords from the East and the West, fittingly leading the flanks, sent their troops against each other, and only Eadberth and his fourth of the Saxon army in their center tried to withstand our charge. The easiest victory we ever had. To imagine Roman Britannia fell to their ancestors. With this crushing defeat behind them, there was not much the Saxons could do to stop us, and Arcadius and his bride, Zoe from the Eastern Imperium, ruled over the Eastern Saxon kingdom, now the ducatus of Bedfornium. The weak Earl of Suffolk could then experience the same strategy we used in Hibernia. Wessex found itself under attacks from all sides, and we went North to end some peasant uprising.

OKgqJJW.jpg

ygBKOGr.jpg

But before we left the province of Camulodunum, Julius had to meet his uncle. Antoninus had requested to talk to him. I should accompany him. At the castle gate of Hedingham, a Frankish guard let us in. 'Vous êtes les hérétiques le grand-maître veut parler? Suivez-moi.' I learned some French in my youth. The grandmaster of the Templars awaited us. What a fast rise through the ranks Antoninus had made. He received us in the castle's main hall. 'My nephew Julius and his friend. I have heard that you have made a name of yourself. Well, not that your tactical finesse was needed in that last war. I don't know who of both sides was more heretic in Sarum – the Martinians, real heretics, or the Saxons, falling over each other like rats fighting for food. Anyway, I had you come for another reason. As long as you accept our dominions in Britannia, we will stand still – as long as I am grandmaster at last. This sorry lot does not deserve Anglia. And I don't want to draw my sword against Romans. Whatever happens to these godforsaken islands, I don't care. But I have to protect my brothers who live here, no matter who else does.' The holy orders had proven they were a force to be recognized in the Greek crusade. The Abbasids there had collapsed, so the Hospitallers were busy down south – entering a non-agression-pact with the Templars should eliminate the threat of these zealots. 'Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt (men freely believe in what they want) – I am surprised a Templar grandmaster would accept this. In the name of Nova Roma, I accept your offer.' I don't think Antoninus meant that. Either way, Julius took his offer and we wouldn't have to worry about the knights of the Catholic Orders.

NZU8kcE.jpg

Mélisande really is a dangerous woman. Other mothers help their children providing council, she uses murder to achieve this. Comitissa Paulina of Northumbria was her next victim. Why? Because there was a vague possibility for her to claim the crown in the future? Because her lands would go to the crown? She is mad! If I don't pay attention, she will kill me for a weird look I gave one of her sons. Me, whose benevolent rule made the Caledonians adopt Martinianism without any bloodshed. Someone stop this furia!

CGtDQVA.jpg

Chapter XI – Fabius Vitsercus, in via imperatoria

While Arcadius in Nova Roma saw the birth of his extra-marital child Aurelian, Julius was enthusiastic we could conquer the whole of Britannia now. Dunbar was overrun with our Hibernian strategy. Old Septimius didn't make it to the end though and the rex' lover became the first legata in Roman history. The Rose didn't like being commanded by a woman, but as long as they were paid, they didn't complain. Well, it certainly is different, but Martinus' teachings say each soul is equal. I do trust him, although I won't believe it completely until she proved herself in battle. Paulina proved that women can be good rulers, and I think they can be good strategists too. As long as they don't face the stereotype of a Norse berserker in single combat. I wouldn't want to use women in melee, but perhaps they could strengthen our archer contingent.

gJmisqy.jpg

Suðreyar's islands were the next to see Julius' determination. The more we conquered, the more he grew confident Britannia would be ours. The Catholic Norse saw this in Dunollie. Before we continued towards Dyflinn, I got the title of dux of Insulae I earned through all those battles. The conquest itself was business as usual. Our work in Wessex left its traces; Gloucester got taken by Deheubarth, Gilla-Comgáin usurped Wessex and rumours were already seeing a different man on Hwicce's throne. Princeps Arcadius entered the fray too and tried to seize Kent. In order to help him, we attacked Northumberland. Did I say before we shouldn't fear the knights? Well, I spoke too soon, some Hospitallers could leave their Greek lands and fight against us. Not a too big deal, as they just arrived as we did; but we had much greater casualties then in the previous wars. Thankfully, they are all mercenaries.

Dlj30X2.jpg

In Londinium, the de Insania army of Nova Roma's vassals had defeated a combined Catholic army, even before the Munsterian troops arrived. Hwicce elected their own king, Beorn II, so Sæweald's realm was reduced to only Kent, and the princeps would take it. When the last big Saxon kingdom, Mercia, joined on Kent's side, a smaller Roman legion got attacked in Salisbury. Our conquest army was nearby, and the comes of Pons Aelius, Clementius, came requesting our help. 'Magister militum Julius!' he shouted as he got to our camp. 'My legion is heavily outnumbered. We will not hold out much longer. Only a miracle or your army can save us now! The Saxons are crossing a river, this gave me the time to come. But more important, it gives us an advantage on the field. Would you join us now, Mercia would be unable to muster a new army big enough to threaten Nova Roma. We could cut them down...' Clementius was not the dumbest comes around. He knew how to persuade a man dreaming of conquests. We awaited reinforcements, the knights having reduced our forces, but this was an opportunity Julius didn't want to miss. I don't question his decisions. And Severina had the rex' promise in mind when she left: 'We need another legatus for the army, and you are the most capable candidate. We won't be able to meet regularly no more, but you will get the lands we conquer next.' In fact, Arcadius had changed the inheritance law to reflect our beliefs, adopting absolute cognatic succession. Some grumbling was heard, but the only ones really disagreeing had no weight to influence this decision, with Quintus in the dungeon and Constantine, former Caledonian king, now dux-in-name of Atolia and Morai, only being a Norseman ruling over a big rock in the sea, Monaoeda.

PDSpfO0.jpg

Our help in Salisbury let Clementius win, then Sæweald capitulate. With the fall of Cantium, not only the decline we put in motion with Beornræd's murder came to an end, the authority of the pope took a stronger blow with the loss of Durovernum (Canterbury) against the Heretics of the North.
Mercia's size made Julius summon the legions of the vassals to lay siege to Lancaster. Our main army cut off Cornish reinforcements before rushing to help of the legion besieging Lancaster itself. Both times, the enemy was around 1.500 men strong, largely not enough to endanger us. Eadwald surrendered, and Arcadius fulfilled his promise, making Severina the ruler of the ducatus of Calunium.

O17pD7E.jpg

With the levies of the Celtic and Saxon kingdoms depleted, Julius commanded the next conquests. With their faith once more overwhelmed on the 'godforsaken islands', as Antoninus said, Italia reacted with a new antipope. Hwicce, Wessex, Cornwall and Gwynedd fell to our next campaign. Severina was proving herself as a good legata, and we tried to take the last piece of Hibernia not in our hands from Brittany. Struggling to keep his authority, with Britannia falling to heretics, Hungary turning Lollard and Italia setting up their own pope, Sixtus IV chose an easy target to prove the Catholic superiority, calling the second Crusade for Greece against the Abbasids. Like a heavily armed knight chasing the wolf threatening his sheep, the Caliphate won't stand a chance. Engulfed by civil war, most Anatolian lands split apart, and the powerful Hospitallers controlling most of Greece, this will be over soon. The worst is that it will work.

kTuQET0.jpg

Our great conquests had a negative effect on the rex. Strange, I always thought he was a simple credens like we are. Does he sees more in Martinianism then we do? He didn't pursue his ideas in building another palatium in Nova Roma, instead another town was built around one of the founders' old temples, falling in ruins, where the western island's episcopatus would sit. He bought ruby earrings for his wife as an excuse for his absence while he was joining the court's gossip. He feared for his life, and the Senatorial intrigue would be a bit too much for someone as inexperienced as him on the field of intrigue. In fact, he only reluctantly accepted Beornræd's assassination, although now it was clear that this was the best thing we could have done. And with all the success in Britannia, Arcadius began to wonder what use he was for Nova Roma. The administration? The Senate and the magistrates were charging themselves of it. The warfare? His twin Julius was much better in it, and triumph after triumph was hold in the city in his honour. An arc was being erected detailing his campaigns, and I especially like the depiction of the battle of Sarum on it. Well, as a result of Arcadius' philosophical thoughts, he fell into a deep depression, trying to find salvation by talking to boni homines and reading Martinus' theories. The people referred of him as 'the Great', but what had he done to earn this title, he asked himself.

x8uIqzr.jpg

We easily came out on top of the Bretons in Calunium. Three elite legions of pikes and archers had joined our army, and we only sustained minimal losses against the Bretons, whose bodies filled the battlefield. As we heard of Quintus' death in the dungeon, Julius acquitted it with 'Hoc volueret' (He wanted this). While this certainly is true, he was his brother after all. You would suspect a different reaction, but what do I know, my brother (if I had any) didn't murder my father after all. I had not much time to think about it, as the Breton king had called his allies from Portucale, and they had landed in Julius' lands of Ormonium. We caught them while they were still getting to the shore, and half of their army fled to the boats before really landing in Hibernia. We were doing our best for the Catholics to fear us. Hibernia became fully Roman, and now that most of Britannia was in our hands, it was time to recreate an Imperium. The Imperium Britannicum. The crown of Hibernia was passed to Julius, divide et impera, but seeing his depressed brother, he fell into depression too. What will happen to us if both of our leaders are sitting in their corner, weeping that they hate life? We all aspire to be free of the material world, but we should make the best of it while we're there, in my opinion. They won't try to become perfecti, I hope!

O1epqV5.jpg

VDYQSYj.jpg

The Senate took the reins of the Imperium until the depression would be over. And our first act was to end this dux-in-name of Constantine. He would have to hand over his ducati so that it would reflect the real political situation. Sitting on his island, Constantine didn't want to relinquish his title as dux. His wife lost her title as queen of Deheubarth to a relative after her armies were squashed by Roman legions, and he enjoyed holding a higher title. He had amassed a lot of money, and would not give up before the last mercenary he could hire expired the last time. It was no joy seeing Julius ride to Gallovania, where Constantine's mercenaries had landed. He looked like if he would be a prisoner awaiting execution. That the missionaries sent East were imprisoned didn't help improving his mood. And then, tragedy struck as we met Constantine's troops. That man hadn't forgotten that his father was assassinated. Although back then, our agents were discreet enough not to get caught, if you could count two and two together, you knew that Nova Roma was behind this. Constantine wanted one man down – Julius de Insania. With his death, Nova Roma would crumble from within, he thought. And when 1.500 men try to kill one, if he's not shielded by the rest of the army, there is not much one can do. Even more so if the target is deep in depression.

The Caledonian Norse got what he wanted. As soon as the Imperator heard of it, he committed suicide – May his soul rest in heaven. Long live Arcadius Secundus, Imperator Imperio Britannico!

lo74Cpj.jpg

We had managed to escape a bellum civile before, and this time we wanted it to be no different. Titus, Julius' son and new rex of Hibernia, had something else in mind and wanted independence. What a spoiled young man, not one day on the battlefield, then inheriting his father's deserved regnum and directly seeking separation from the Senate. Still, he didn't dare to put dirt on his father's memory so soon after his death and waited. Constantine was smiling when we got to his island, less so when he was told to hand it over. That bastard would have to wash his incapable wife for the rest of his days while I, dux of Insulae and the new magister militum of the Imperium, would take care of Monaoeda. The Imperator's new council was made of trusted vassals of the Imperium, all experts in their fields and not working on treachery. Arcadius kept his lands in Bedfornium in his demesne and gave Atolia to his sister Caecilia. Let's hope our new Imperium survives its founders.

iuos0hY.jpg

In order to find suitable legati for the legions, I proposed holding a tournament in Nova Roma. Another advantage of this would be that the nobility would meet at one place. Naturally, I thought of Titus who would maybe be less inclined to resign his allegiance to the Senate after seeing Nova Roma's wonders. We built quite a marvel here in the North, a hostile place at first, now quite liveable. Also, magister inquisitiones Faustus wanted to exchange some words with him. The day after the rex' arrival, they met in a dark corner of the palatium. Whatever they talked of, someone didn't like it. Using the method of the now presumed dead 'Pope's Pikes', Faustus was found dead in the middle of the forum. As these troublesome priests were long gone and wouldn't have dared entering the city anyway, an extensive search for the culprit was made. One of Valens' former contacts tipped us off, and we found the order came from Adelaida Árpád, Titus' mother. Shortly after, the rex came with an apologizing face and swore not to think of any rebellious actions against the Imperium. Cancellarius Cornelius would have some work in Hibernia. While I remembered not to get on the bad side of any mother, some merchants, led by Otho Iovianus, argued that it would be most beneficial for them and therefore for the Roman treasury to have some land at their disposal, the nearer the continent, the better. And as Faustus had no heir, why not give them Cornubia... All I'll say of the decision we made is pecunia non olet, at least for us normal credentes.

PpVavUV.jpg

The Imperium was stable with Hibernia reeled in. So I proposed to honour the twin's memory and finish what they started. 'For over thirty years now I am campaigning to conquer the whole of Britannia. We may have lost the Twins of Nova Roma, those who had the idea, but not all of us are dead. We have to finish what they started.' Also, I hate leaving things unfinished. As long as I am alive, the Isles will have to taste Roman steel. At the tournament, I hoped to find a new legatus for the legio Britannicum, but the victors were some lowly nobles with no direct connection to the Imperium. It was not a good sight either. But I was able to share my stories with the people watching. And the Imperatrix Zoe had shown the most interest. Some inquiries later, I was sure she was the best candidate at court. The Imperator himself had shown some qualities during the Cantian war, but I thought he would be more needed here. Dux Fabius of Gallovania managed to convince us to go for Clydesdale first. He was as sneaky as his father with the church's taxes.

sKsBtoS.jpg

Although not the hardest battle I've fought in my long life as legatus, my suspicions of using women in battle was confirmed. Our souls may be equal, but our corporal strength isn't. Severina had to feel this as she was opposed to one of the Norse berserkers I feared from the beginning. She couldn't say I didn't warn her. If she could say anything, that is. I think I have to keep a watchful eye on the Imperatrix.
After pontifex Rufinus succeeded in bringing Martinianism to the last corners of Nova Roma, he was sent to Sviþjod. Making them good Christians too. Those barbarians didn't send his head back (yet), so there's hope he arrived safely and allowed to bring them Martinus' teachings. While we maybe made some progress in peaceful communication of our beliefs, the pope's use of violence in his Crusade ended. Took them long enough. The Caliphate was so weak that some Frankish duke won it, without the Hospitallers.

nP6FzjC.jpg

We were strong enough to only send the legio Britannicum against Mercia now. In Hereford, the queen's army was defeated, in Rhuddalt her Welsh allies. Although the peasants started to organize themselves, led by probably the richest of the Caledonian farmers, and revolted in Stratearnum and Tirconel at the same time (or is the 1st May simply a good day to revolt?), it didn't help them once Mercia was added to the Imperium. Titus' legion ended the Hibernian revolt, my legion the Caledonian one. They'll never learn that it's useless, will they? Or is it their goal to die in rebellions so that we will have to farm the land ourselves?

gL7hAuf.jpg

Mercia's defeat had consequences for the queen who just succeeded to the throne. As it is custom in the Saxon realms, like the downfall of Wessex had proven, a weak ruler has to secure his throne. Wulfhild had shown weakness, and the claimants were ready. And we were ready to claim the claimant's lands.

wNOUuql.jpg

Constantine's son sounds like a smarter man then his father. Having inherited Deheubarth, he wanted to be on good terms with Nova Roma, and for the Imperium to truly be the Imperium Britannicum, we needed Deheubarth. This time, diplomacy was the key. 'With Gandalfr also being a Martinian, there may be no need for the legion, Fabius', Cornelius told me. My experience with his father made me distrust this, but a sack of gold later, Gandalfr was in Nova Roma to swear his allegiance to Imperator Arcadius. Just as I thought my mission would end soon, only some cities south of Eburacum still withstanding Roman rule, I saw a hooded man with a long white beard and a book in his hand walking out of the city. It was creepy, but even more so what awaited me at the palatium: the Imperator, an amphora full of dirt in his hand, mumbling that there is still no sign of gold in that well, although the colours he saw where pretty clear. Could it be?....

BCcjSaw.jpg

The wars on the isles continue to be waged. I can only hope, that you will emerge the victor in the long run! Your Legio Britannicum mustn't stop until the whole of the British isles are restored to Roman leadership!

*So many holy wars!* :eek:

The wars on the isles continue to be waged. I can only hope, that you will emerge the victor in the long run! Your Legio Britannicum mustn't stop until the whole of the British isles are restored to Roman leadership!

*So many holy wars!* :eek:

I figured the Twins were perfect for aggressive expansion, with Arcadius a diplomatic and Julius a military genius. Still, I was positively surprised that my strategy worked so well. Things should calm down now, only two counties are not in Roman hands.

Due to all these HW's, the MA of the Catholics fell to around 40. Go figure.

After reading the new chapters, I imagine the new Roman legions marching on Rome leaded by their Empress to restore the true imperial religion :p

What a glorious sight that would be! I have the battle defiling in front of my eyes. By the way, originally Martinus wanted me to follow the Hungarian way of Christendom. But for the same reason I didn't go Hellenic from the start, I didn't want Lollardy and threw a dice if it would be Fraticelli or Cathar. As this form didn't exist back then, I had Martinus create it. Roma shall return to the Imperium!

The next chapter is short due to the events occuring in the Imperium, but the one after will be bigger to cover those.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter XII – Pace?

Fabius Vitsercus:

Now that we finally thought with Paulina setting aside her voices that the de Insanias found mental peace, that hooded man certainly turned the tables. I don't want to believe he was Mysterius, the man Crispina tasked to decipher Amentius' book, but he certainly had this effect on the Imperator. He reopened quaestor Fabius' old mine, digging for gold. I hope it is just a passing hobby of his in this peacetime, but it doesn't look good. My occupation in peacetime is much more interesting, I am collecting my heritage, the weapons and armour of Ragnarr's sons. When I ride to battle, bearing Halfdan's axe, Ubbe's helmet and Ivar's shield, all perfected with Roman knowledge, they will think the dark age is coming over them. I still need artefacts from Sigurd and Björn, but that will be harder as their descendants are still in power in Scandinavia.

All that happened the last years was that old Nepotian, the monk who stopped being one, had a child with his lover, the usual factions were slowly dissolving and the Imperator's abilities grew with his experience. Also, the dux of Eburacum failed to take advantage of the war between the remaining Saxons as his declaration of war made the two countesses set aside their dispute. Wulfhild couldn't call herself queen of Mercia anyway, as Severus ruled that land and became dux of it. But now, as Arcadius went on a pilgrimage to Roma, that MacAilpin scum Gandalfr saw a chance for internal plotting. He was content with his petty kingdom before, but now that he was a mere vassal, he gained the ambition to gain a real kingdom, like his father held, or at least return to his former status. I said it before: Diplomacy may work, but the effects of a war last longer. We were quick to decide in the Imperator's absence that he should be imprisoned like his father, but never leave again, so that he could not cause any mischief in the Imperium. He evaded the guards, got to his boat and left for Deheubarth, gathering his army. The legio Britannico had to march again.

unRwZ4P.jpg

Gandalfr had gathered some mercenaries to his cause and was confident enough to attack us in Bravonium. Imperatrix Zoe, on her new black mare, dux Avitus and I had already organized our defences, reinforced by Severus' troops, to drown them in arrows and in the river as they arrived. The battle went as expected. I found out that a senile old woman and her daughter were responsible for the enemies' brilliant tactic as the last survivors surrendered.

FlOwtRD.jpg

'Fabianus, I have taught you much. This short war has shown everything you should do... and all you shouldn't do. Follow my advices, and you'll probably become magister militum some day, stepping in your uncle's path. Now go and marry your German principissa!' I had finished my education of the Imperator's half-brother during that war, and I am confident he'll put that practical experience to great use in the future. Gandalfr, in conclusion of his scheme of genius, could rot in the dungeons. For all the greatness of this victory, it was most troubling that the returned Arcadius howled to the moon as we reported it. He had taken his time on his pilgrimage to delve into philosophy and old scriptures stored in Roma while his guards did their best to keep him incognito. They did prevent him from reproducing his great-grandmother's acts, and the time he read his books, he couldn't spend it doing anything else, so the pilgrimage proved most beneficial. Although I really don't know how he manages to read a book held in the wrong direction, from right to left too.

sKMmSZB.jpg

Remember Rufinus' mission to the Swedes? Well, his head still rests upon his shoulders, but he only returned after the payment of a ransom. They had other problems, their kingdoms had splitted, and war was their actual pastime. While it was nice to see Sviþjod collapse, having them converted would have helped more. The pontifex at least had some success, more than the new pontifex, Arcadius' stepmother Agathe, who just got banished from Norway. She is caught so deep in the idea of equal souls that she confused king Ale's gender in her letter, referring to him once as 'her', once as 'he'. I think she's not bored any more, maybe attained by her stepson's insanity, but not bored. Especially as she is now bringing Martinus' teachings to Poland.

Bdp1mfP.jpg

Cornelius de Insania, cancellarius et dux de Dunedinum:

All the efforts I made, always on the road from one European court to the other, finally paid off. My task sounded easy enough: Make the lords of Catholicism accept that Roma should be ours. Not so easy when their beloved pope sits there. I could explain that we were Romans, true Romans, and that it was entirely logical that Roma belonged to us. We were the successors of the Western Imperium! Soon, I saw that when talking to Karlings, I better had to leave this out, but at least in Asturias, this was a valid argument. The Hungarian king was completely on our side, but this was no surprise as the Lollards had their own quarrel with the pope. Mostly though, I heard that the pope has to sit on St.Peter's throne. It was very hard to reasonably discuss this with zealous lords, others were quickly convinced. It took me years to have most of Europe recognize our claim, but only Hungary actively accepted that the pope should move. Now, the time for diplomacy was over. I did my best, but Roma won't return into Roman hands without bloodshed. What would Julius say? Si vis Roma, pare bellum. Or at least something like that.

JGg4ymW.jpg

I always laugh whenever I see the name Pope Simplicious. It makes me think of some Vatican City Infomercial.

@ Attalus: Old Fabius deserves it, I thought. Also, it usually takes ages for my chancellors to succeed in claiming Rome. I am disappointed that my vassals didn't finish off Britannia, but Gallia and Italia will have to wait for now.

@DKM: Simple enough. Sadly, not Hilarius. Felix papatum, cum optimis nominibus! (Lucky papacy, with the best names!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter XIII – Roma

Cornelius de Insania:

As I made my report in the Senate, the hopes were high. Roma. The dream of our ancestors. We could now reclaim it. Even the most zealous and peaceful of the Senators immediately shouted to embark the legions and retake the Eternal City for the Imperium. But magister militum Fabius stopped the euphoria.
'I have enough experience in the art of war', he began, 'and I don't think it would do us any good to rush things. Overconfidence and haste are not good for war, Gandalfr MacAilpin is just the latest example. The pope is swimming in denarii, and we do not know if the Catholics, while recognizing our claim, will just let us take Roma without resistance. We would then go ashore, just to find out that hundreds of thousands of Catholics are waiting to colour the sea red from our blood. We have to plan ahead. And if possible, negotiate passage through Italia, so that we don't have to make an amphibious attack.'
This calmed down the Senate, delaying our attack, as we trust in Fabius' experience. Off to Italia it goes for me then.

'And why should I let thousands of Martinian heretics land in Orvieto? Heretics who intend to conquer Rome?' Raymond of Italy looked skeptical. He himself had conquered Roma six years ago, but the pope had returned. His guards had accompanied me all the time with their hands on their swords. This office was not suited for a coward these days. His Chaplain had that one-wrong-word-and-you-will-burn look.
'Honoured rex of Italia, I do not aim to anger you, nor do I wish to do any harm to your people and the lands that once were the core of our proud Imperium. Your benevolent rule is the most beneficial since the barbarians invaded. You will not even notice that we landed here.'
'I do not think this. I know what it means to lead an army, and that it leaves traces where it passes. You are wasting my time, Northern Heretic. I have a war to win.'
Italy was currently claiming lands held by the Lotharingian crown. I didn't think this would affect the negotiations, but apparently, I was wrong. Time to make a last throw, my CDXXI. The last ace of my hand, put in the words of another game.
'Your royal majesty, not only we will leave no damage behind, it will prove beneficial for you.' This piqued the king's interest.
'How would I profit from an heretic landing on my shores?'
'If Roma falls, the wrong pope Simplicius II will have no more earthly power. Eventually, each one of the kings around will have to accept your chosen pope, Celestine, to be the true one, as no real pope could lose the throne of St.Peter to heretics.'
The Chaplain angrily rose from his seat. 'Heretic! A true Christian should sit on St.Peter's throne, wrong pope or not! Burn him!'
Raymond seemed to consider the consequences. A puppet pope would be perfect for such a powerful kingdom. He would be the worldly arm of God, controlling his spiritual arm as well. I was hoping he would react like a normal lord, putting his personal power on top of his priority list. The guards were already moving to seize me, when the king interrupted them. 'You make a good point, Cornelius. Give me a day to consider it. I am holding a small tournament now; would you join us in the melee?'
What an auspicious occasion that was. I could prove how good we Romans fought. Having a lack of gladiators in Nova Roma, only sometimes some Norsemen holding their holmgangs in the arena to earn a bit of money along the way, mostly because our faith has another view on killing then the old one, chariot races and tournaments were the circenses of the Imperium. 'I am only a humble jouster, your majesty. It would do no good for you, as I would be the first eliminated.'
'I am interested to see how you fare in a fight, and I need some training against foreign foes. The Lotharingians are probably as weak as you are!'
My diplomatic approach worked. I did my best to look as if I only reluctantly accepted. Because, in fact I am a skilled fighter. After I won the little tournament, Raymond looked horrified. I certainly did my best to further establish the image of the formidable Roman soldier who conquered the 'godforsaken islands', as Grandmaster Antoninus had put it. I hoped it would leave the impression 'if a weak Roman beats us, what will thousands of strong ones do?'. It did. The king of Italia accepted my request, and soon all legions would land in Orvieto.

7iqU7tR.jpg

1H6QINU.jpg

The news of the Italian king's acceptance swept like a wave through Europe. Martinians from all over the continent hoped to escape prosecution and gathered near the ancient capital of the Imperium, forming a huge mob following the army as we marched on the city.
'I am sure the Catholic kings don't approve of our plan to absolve the pope from the burden of ruling Roma.'
The magister militum, riding along me and Praefectus Otho of Cornubia, looked like one of those famed Vikings of old. He was a tall and strong man, and although he was not the youngest, his experience made up for it. But with that helmet and the enormous axe he carried, I had to remember who he was each time I looked at him.
'Don't worry, Fabius. The mob helps us this time. While Italia and Lotharingia are fighting each other, only Germany/Bavaria is interested in helping the pope. Asturias and Aquitaine are in constant fear of the Andalusian Muslims. The king of West Francia recently died, and they are in a regency, with everyone trying to secure his part of the power. And my spies report that the mob made our numbers to be exaggerated. Widukind of Germany heard that hundred thousand are marching on Roma. This even discouraged the Knights, Hospitaller and Templars.'
'And my delicate diplomacy has surely shown them one Roman is as good as ten Italians.' Nobody would join the papal defence. Still, the fearsome Viking rode straight forward, murmuring 'wait and see. Money can move much, and if the pope has something, it is not faith, but money. Whatever, Halfdan's axe surely hungers for some Catholic blood. And I am willing to satisfy it!'

We arrived at the walls of Roma the 13th July 988. A small delegation consisting of the members of the council save the pontifex preaching in Poland made their way to the walls, whereupon Pope Simplicius II and a scarred man, certainly a mercenary captain, rode out too.
'Your days within the Eternal City are numbered, your holiness.' I said it so sarcastic you had to be deaf to overhear it. Diplomacy was futile, I already knew it before I offered the terms on which the defenders could leave. 'I'll be frank: Give up and you get to live another day, maybe find the true wisdom of Martinus' words. Roma is ours, and if you don't hand it over, we will take it from your corpse.'
'Those walls were not built by those you claim to restore. These were built to protect the Holy See from any danger, infidels or heretics. They will hold out against your evil doings. Because God will blind you all and sap your forces, for you have lifted your weapon against His representative on earth. Never shall a pope surrender St.Peter's throne, even less to heretics! And Captain Eadwulf knows your strategies. Rome will not fall!'
Simplicius then turned and rode back to the walls, followed by that Captain Eadwulf. Simple enough, our diplomatic try. 'Anglo-Saxon mercenaries, eh?' Fabius looked pleased. 'Think they know us. But we know them too. Hiding behind walls won't make them much stronger. And I am sure that Eadwulf didn't taste our ballistae before.'
The battle would begin. The battle of Roma. Our dream, just behind these walls and these men. How many? Not too many to stop us, I hope. Destiny awaits us.

Fabius Vitsercus:

Now was the time for me to prove myself as magister militum. As expected, the pope declined our offer. The last convenanzas were held, for many would inevitably give their life for the Imperium today. May their souls be freed. I gave a speech to motivate the troops and planned the assault.
'Cives de Imperio Britannico! We are standing in front of the city of our origins! The Imperium Romanum reigned from here over all the civilized world. We are Romans, unlike the barbarians over there! The Pope is hiding behind his walls, but this will not stop us! For we have the skill and the will to return this place into its rightful hands. And to absolve the world from the wickedness of its current ruler! You have seen all those people following us. They are hoping for a better life, a life free from prosecution, a prosecution directed by the Church behind these walls! They are fighting for money, we are fighting for our destiny! To battle!'
I then gave commands to the legati of the army, from the proven soldier to the Imperator himself; everyone of importance in the Imperium was here. We had to be victorious.

FIWj3sC.jpg

Captain Eadwulf:

We were paid to save the Romans from the Romans. A paradox, yet it was an inevitable one. Since I left the Isles, I knew this day would come. Now, the horizon is full of Martinians. I would guess there are at least 15.000 armed of them, and much more in the mob behind. Only the walls and God's assistance can save us now. The pope and the cardinals had argued long enough who to enlist for Rome's defence, and they eventually chose my White Company. Why didn't they hire any other company? The situation looks almost hopeless. Wasn't there enough money for all those palaces, then why not for more men? I have witnessed a Roman assault in my homeland. May they be heretics, they are disciplined, well equipped and commanded, and I can nearly feel their will to take the city. I have placed the archers on the wall and have the infantry ready to jump into any breech the Romans create. Cavalry would be useless now, but the papal army still counted some. What did they intend to do?
'Captain, the Holy Father wishes to inspire the troops!'
Simplicius cited some bible passage before going on: 'Know that the Lord is on our side. He will strengthen your muscles and improve your aim, shield you from any heretic attacks and lead us to glory. For any one of the Heretics of the North, man or woman, will suffer in the eternal flames of hell for opposing His representative on earth and denying the truth of the Holy Bible. Forgiven should be all your sins, for today you are not defending Rome, you are defending the whole of Christendom against heretic scum.'
Let's hope for the wonder to come true. 'Captain, there is movement in the enemy's ranks!'
'Men! Be ready! The whole Catholic world depends on us!'

omD2td1.jpg

Arcadius Secundus de Insania, Caesar Imperio Britannico:

'Ballistae! Open fire! Get the longbows in range! Legions in formation!'
Fabius should teach those Saxons a trick or two. Using the proven weapons of the peoples we conquered should make a difference. Even with that superiority, I had to convince many lords with some denarii who only reluctantly accepted the call for our campaign. You would think Roma is most important to them, but no. Titus of Hibernia was still angered that he is not the magister militum, although he is now hiding behind his troops hoping no lonesome arrow guided by fate pierces him. His father wouldn't be proud of him, his fatness provides a better shield against arrows then his armour, I may say.
Avitus doesn't look too happy either, but at least he is occupied shouting out orders. Zoe's archers are starting to cover the walls with arrows, but the Saxons are firing back. Let's hope the walls are soon breached.
What was that? The earth is shaking... Over that hill? Really? I have to go!

Fabius Vitsercus:

'A breach! Get the archers behind the line! Form the tortoise. Advance!'
Where is Arcadius heading to? Otho should follow him, just in case. Now that arrows are raining on the troops, the walls are crumbling and the hour of our greatest victory draws near, the Imperator is leaving the battlefield. No. Don't lose your concentration, Fabius.
'Hold on to your shields! Saxon arrows don't pierce them!'
Why are the doors opening? Bold enough to make a sortie now? Or suicidal? Trying to die as martyrs? Knights!
'Caledonians! Pikes ready! Down at my command!'
The knights were charging the front tortoise. Good thing I've spiked the old animal. 'Now!'
The pikes lowered, the heavy horses and their riders crashed into them. Some died instantly, other ploughed partly through our ranks before being stopped.
'Hold the formation! Advance further!'
The breach was not far away now.

Fabianus de Insania:

It is always astounding to see my teacher in action. Looking frightening, deflecting arrows with his shield while shouting commands, a great sight to behold. Announcing the charge, now was the time to remember his instructions, all I've learned from him. My flank was heavily covered in Saxon arrows, and our tortoise had most leaks, but now the defenders focused on Fabius' army.
'Charge! Support the magister militum! For Roma!'
It was completely different from the headless attack from the MacAilpin bastard. The assaulted were disciplined, prepared and ready to fight to the last man, I fear. Now that I could see heavy Saxon infantry awaiting us behind the breach, I know this would be harder than the fights on the Isles, and certainly not like a joust with my friends. This is war. And I am ready for it.

IdKjFLd.jpg

Captain Eadwulf:

'Kill them all. God will know his own.' Simplicius II was radical. The real battle was only beginning, our walls had crumbled under the heavy fire of the Romans. And all the pope did was thinking of the mob behind the Roman army when we only started the defence, certain of the victory and planning the aftermath. It does inspire the men, but if God is on our side, the wonder better comes fast, or we are done for. The papal knights had already foolishly thrown their lives away while they would have been much more helpful in the defence of the breach, and each man counted now. 'Brace yourselves! They are charging!'

6zJ9S5u.jpg

Fabianus de Insania:

What a horrible sound it made when the two armies clashed. Cries of dying, shouts of battle. The sound of weapons smashing on shields, breaking through flesh and bones. Commands shouted, 'Hold the line! Advance! Break through!'. A disorganized mess, a melee where I could only recognize one man, more specifically an axe going up and down, cracking helmets and heads in the process. The other nobles are far behind the line, watching as we make our way through the enemy. Saxons and Romans, both red of blood, fighting so far from where they come from, yet with such fervour and will, such intensity... And now I enter the fray. 'Heaven awaits you. Send them to hell, where they belong!', I hear the pope preaching somehow. We'll see about that, old man.

Zoe Makedon, Imperatrix Imperio Britannico:

My husband may be gone somewhere only he knows why, but I need to lead our archers. The men on the walls were decimated and the fight was taken to the city.
'Archers! Show them our skill with the bow! Storm the wall!'
Welsh longbows and Roman 'witches', as the Catholics liked to call us, if we cover the defenders with arrows from their own walls, the city will be ours. The last defenders on the wall fell, and we took their place. Suddenly under fire from above inside the city, while on hand-to-hand-combat with Fabius' troops, it should not be long now.
'The witches are here! Don't fear, for their appearance is a sign of their weakness, sending the last of their forces. Force them back, and we will revel in victory!'
Simplicius II is preaching. A bad idea for the old man to show himself. I have an arrow prepared specially for him. There! You'll see that God didn't blind us...

Goj7yu9.jpg

Arcadius Secundus:

'Your Imperial Majesty, where are you going?'
Praefectus Otho is following me. Doesn't he see the light? Not far now, and the wisdom of Amentius will be within my reach. The cave over there! It emanates from that dark place! Voices, I hear you! I am coming!.. The Old One! Attack! Attack now! Charge! It left... To West, you say? But I have sailed far South to get here. Maybe inside...
'My Imperator, take care of your head! It is dangerous!'
What does Otho mean? I hear you clearer now. There it is! Just some more pedes and I wi.....

5lB8zdD.jpg

Fabius Vitsercus:

The preaching had stopped abruptly. Then, the first Saxons turned, saw their religious leader gurgling, trying to gather his last words with a purple arrow in his throat, and began running. One last Saxon swing hit me, before I gathered all my forces and nearly cleaved my opponent in two as Halfdan's axe tasted more Catholic blood. He would be proud of me. Maybe not that I am a Roman, far from believing in his gods, but that I am using his axe to what it can do best. The scarred man from before, Captain Eadwulf, stood there as his remaining men routed, and dropped his weapon. A pursuit would be mostly useless, so I went to the defeated and let the troops celebrate victory.
'Rome is falling. The pope is dead, and no wonder saved us from this outcome. Do what you want, the city is yours.'

DHDXlE0.jpg

Cornelius de Insania:

As soon as the news of the victory had spread to the mob, they began their march on the city. They were free from papal oppression, in Martinian lands now and certainly hoped to gain a status as cives of the Imperium. But first, they let out their rage. We had profited from the mob before. But presently, I wish we would have dispersed it. The most zealous of the mob preached against all wealth, mostly against the evildoings of the Catholic church, their display of riches and amassing of power. With torches in their hands, men, women and children went through the streets, burning churches and palaces. Bishops unfortunate enough to still be present in Roma were imprisoned in their churches before they were lit. Maybe I would have acted that way too if I would be in their situation. But it was a sad sight, finally conquering Rome only to see it burn, put to the flames by our own followers. And the Imperator... Otho carried him into the city with a head injury, explaining he had hit his head while riding into a cave. While not too grave, this injury had one positive aspect: Arcadius was unable to be a second Nero. Makes me wonder... Has he a musical side?

The Cardinals had escaped the siege and the following fire, sadly carrying all the valuables of the papacy with them and already having elected the next pope. Agatho II officially surrendered, sending a peasant messenger while fleeing who knows where. As the flames ceased, it was clear that the former bishoprics of Anagni and Sutri were burnt to the ground, all that remained was ash. Roma had to be rebuilt. And all the way from the Isles to Orvieto, my long travels between the Catholic courts, the nearly 2.900 fallen heroes.. It was worth it. Roma was now again Roman.

X2ypY6E.jpg

Now time for the True Pope to sit upon the throne of Saint Peter!

Now time for the True Pope to sit upon the throne of Saint Peter!

No! Don't support the Italians and their puppet pope Celestine. Never the Imperium shall lose control of its city of origin again!

Although I have modified the game to reflect Nova Roma's position as rich capital of the Imperium, making the island be able to have seven holdings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter XIV – Cornelius de Insania

Roma was now finally where it belonged, but the problems only started. With all the nobility of the Imperium assisting to the battle, the Imperator disappearing in the middle of it to chase old Amentius' ideas, as he claimed, was really not great for the stability of the realm. Even more so that the last of the commanders of the Britannian conquest cought consumption and died. His son held a grudge against Arcadius for leaving the field and letting Roma burn. He sought the crown of Caledonia, and princeps Avitus, the dux of Oxonia, had promised him the crown. I guess Dunedinum won't see me for a while. After running around the continent, I'll have enough work running around the Isles. *sigh*

H6ro4GL.jpg

Arcadius is not a big help, either. After ducissa Aelia of Anglia Austral was imprisoned for plotting against the comes of Ros, he wanted to clear a feud in the country in order to improve his much needed diplomatic abilities. Against my pressing advice, he decided to emphasize a diplomatic approach like in the Senate between the families. Did he think the people on the land were not informed of the rivalries? This is not Roma or his old comitus of Londinium, this is Nova Roma! Heartland of the renewed Imperium, settled by Romans, place of the Senate! We should have returned its seat to Roma, maybe, but didn't want to leave our capital, a true marvel, a rich and prospering city, and most importantly the haven for the former exiles. Arcadius had the audacity to portray an image of the nobility as always of the same opinion, never infighting, and displayed the Senate as 'shining example'. It didn't work well.

fCTv5Yz.jpg

Not a moment of rest was left for me, but also for praefectus Otho. I had to talk to fat Titus, he had to discourage the growing factions for Avitus' and Aurelian of Calunium's claims for the throne and managed it with the latter. He remembered Arcadius took care of him after his mother's death and declared his support of the Imperator. Agathe, still not getting the genders right, continued her journey through pagan lands, got banished from Poland and Garðariki, landed in Denmark now. I don't know who of us travels more these days. And with Faustina, the heir apparent, growing up, the situation got much tenser. She had an excellent teacher, but is... not the brightest. And if this was not bad enough, a Norse adventurer tried to conquer the MacAilpin lands of Deubarta. Otho's spies report almost 30.000 fierce warriors!

aqRiQd2.jpg

With the Imperator's newest law, the 'Cessation of Violence Act', in place, the legio Britannico had to return to Britannia. Norse peasants in Luguvalium somehow heard of it and saw their chance to rise in rebellion. Arcadius saw that the law could not be respected, and the rebellion was crushed. Sad news reached us from Roma, where the population, instructed not to resist much to prevent excessive pillaging, had to tolerate 27.000 Norsemen. Having no ships, they went to Roma. All we can do is wait for them to get tired and dissolve the host, not having reached the land of their desire.

MpZaTk9.jpg

With all that instability, Alvör Austisius, the old and infirm ducissa of Morai, tried to get herself crowned regina of Caledonia. After all, without her great-grandfather, Nova Roma would still be a small trading port, she said. With Dunedinum a part of Caledonia, she needed my consent, would she want to get crowned before she died. With that weak argument behind her, I naturally declined, presented the case to the Senate and the old woman had to be imprisoned. Taking an example in Gandalfr MacAilpin, she raised her pitiful army, which stood no chance against the legion. Agathe returned, too, reporting her success in the war-plagued kingdom of Denmark. It won't stand much longer though, I think.

CeuK5w2.jpg

The order to imprison Alvör was the drop of wine making the Imperium drunk. Fabius Vitsercus didn't agree and mobilized his supporters. 'Now the Imperator goes after old, weak and defenceless women, only because they try to pursue a legal claim', he said, naturally not meaning it. After all, he was the one who aspired the Caledonian crown. With his faction, backed by the rex of Hibernia and the duces of Segovium, Mercia, Oxonia and the praefectus of Cornubia, probably tired of running all around the Imperium (I can understand him if this was his motivation), he declared Avitus would make a better ruler, he who had the courage to fight in Roma and who would defend the old and infirm. While I don't think he would, we had the first bellum civile on our hands. And the loyalists, me and the duces of Atolia, Gallovania, Pons Aelius, Eburacum, Calunium, Cantium and Anglia Oriental, completed by the comes of Castra Bedfornium and the imprisoned duces of Deubarta and Anglia Austral, were not all real loyalists like me and counted as many troops as the rebels. Our hope lied in good leadership, and with the magister militum on the enemy's side, the Imperator's talented son Arcadius and the legati Fabianus - old Vitsercus' pupil - and Imperatrix Zoe had to carry this hope.

fSspTHm.jpg

Both sides were rallying their troops. With the rebels gathering in Hibernia, the legio Britannico was able to pick up two isolated groups and dissolve them in Dornoch and Penrith, all while transferring old Alvör to the dungeons. The Rose was hired in memoriam of their important role in the Julianic Wars and shipped to Gallovania, where our 16.000 souls clad in their corporal hull waited for the enemy. Fabius Secundus Vitsercus had other plans. They sailed to Nova Roma. At the same time they arrived at the city, we learned of Agathe's imprisonment by king Knut of the Swedes through his ransom demand. While they certainly continue being a thorn in our side with their ever-lasting raids, we had different problems. We could only carry around 12.000 to Austisium, around as many as the rebels counted. The Rose had to stay in Scitus and conduct the siege. All would be decided in Austisium.

aPYH2kh.jpg

Nova Roma had resisted, but fallen. We had just landed on our island when the last resistance fell, buying us just enough time to organize ourselves before the rebels arrived. This would not end like the unfortunate Portucalese during the Julianic Wars, more like dictator Ennodius' first attack on the Norse. Only that we had numerical equality, more or less. Both armies were manoeuvring all around Usavic to have the best position in battle, and finally we had to give up mountainous terrain for a battle on flat ground. The rest will be legend. While Septimius of Segovium boldly charged Fabianus' flank, it stood its ground and pushed the rebels, sustaining heavy casualties, back to focus on the rebels' center, which operated with its cavalry, easily blocked. The leader's flank engaged last; Fabius had started to fear the consequences of a defeat and cowardly opted for a long skirmish, with Zoe on the other side acting similarly. At the end of the day, it was clear the rebels could not go on much longer. Their chaotic retreat was cut short by our organized liberation of Nova Roma, and they surrendered. Arcadius was confirmed in his position.

3KyAGOg.jpg

b6BYNSt.jpg

And what did he decide to do after the Imperium passed a critical moment? Expand it. Finish the conquest of Britannia. The Rose had to be hired for something, he said. The wars were short, too, as you would expect, but princeps Arcadius fell in the battle, lacking experience, he charged too fearless at the last soldiers under Saxon rule. Britannia was completely united under the Imperium, but at what price? The principissae Faustina and Ulpia are not on the best terms either, and the redistribution of the rebels' titles had created other problems.

veXbcWy.jpg

Morai went to the talented comes Diocletian Verus of Caites, avoiding the unison of the ducatus with Ulstriacum pending with Alvör's death.
Cassius Constantius, comes of Castra Bedfornium, was rewarded for his loyalty in the hard times, although he led the factions long enough, with the ducatus of Oxonia, having to take care of Avitus' lands with him in the dungeon.
Fabius Secundus had to accept his brother Tiberius' dominance under the Vitserci with him being the new dux of Insulae.
Fat Titus had to pass his crown to his younger brother Julius, a true successor of his father, who directly sought independence. Another task for me.
Septimius of Segovium and Otho of Cornubia completed the set of Cambrian duces in the dungeon. Severus of Mercia escaped his fate by dying. His son should be released soon.

oxLBLNt.jpg

This is the present situation. The Imperator always looking West, whatever he sees there. The Norsemen are feasting in Roma, still not growing tired of their leader's incompetence to lead them to their original goal. Julius II, rex of Hibernia, persuaded by me and his new office as magister militum, giving up his independence ambitions. The principissae in open dispute. At least all seems stable now. But still no time to rest for me, as I have to lead delicate diplomacy in all that chaos! I deserve a promotion for explaining that lunacy with a simple argument, although not perfect: 'He looks for Amentius' gold, as his mine doesn't seem to have any.' Bad thing I cannot be promoted.

HDGlxUS.jpg

Sad Fabius died of Consumption. I would have seen died axe in the hand protecting the Imperium ...
What are your goals now ? Restore the Empire and bring the teaching of Martinus in Gallia and Italia ?

Sad Fabius died of Consumption. I would have seen died axe in the hand protecting the Imperium ...
What are your goals now ? Restore the Empire and bring the teaching of Martinus in Gallia and Italia ?
OOH! OOH! Imperium Galliarum. Also alscon, I was supporting YOUR Pope not the Italian Pope. Only a Roman should be the Bishop of Rome.

@Attalus: Fabius would have deserved it. As for the goals, it will be unify the Eastern and Western Imperia, then we'll see. I'll have to take the skills of the characters into consideration, means Faustina won't do much if she inherits.

@DKM: Ah, you mean that. Well, while Catharism (and therefore also Martinianism/the Northern Heretics) have a kind of episcopal hierarchy, it is not like the Catholic one. Hence the mob and the Medium Church taxes. So there is no Roman Pope. Only holy Martinus would qualify for that office. I hope that clarifies things.

Chapter XVI – Expeditio Arcadio Secundo

Cornelius de Insania:

Somehow, everyone knew it would happen. Faustina de Insania, the Imperator's first child, was found dead. While the circumstances of her death are still unclear, Arcadius retired more and more in his palatium, preparing something obscure. With the death of two of his four children in such a short time, he started writing his 'Journal of my experiences as Imperator'.

uryDH40.jpg

Knowing what happened with the last book a de Insania wrote, I stole it in a moment of inattention and read it in the intention of making it disappear. I had a hard enough time holding the Imperium together without strange symbols wasting ink on precious paper. But I did put it back to its place later. It was harmless, only describing Arcadius' feelings and not even inventing legendary deeds, not some cryptic work. I cite:

'No profit from the mine. I am starting to despair. The West... There it should be. The Source of True Wealth mentioned in the book. It is certainly better there than here. Nova Roma is a dangerous place, full of scheming Senators, chicken-throwing peasants and mysterious cloaked persons. And after Arcadius in Anglia, Nova Roma claimed Faustina. And these wretched Senators seem to enjoy this. You can sense that Ulpia has a hard time restraining herself from letting out her joy. Don't they realize Faustina was murdered? Martinus emphasized the holy words 'You shall not kill', and they.... I am safe in the palatium, and I won't leave it until my plan is ready. Time to mourn and retreat. Oh, how I hate my life. My only hope are Amentius' words in that cave...'

Maybe these writings are dangerous after all. What is this plan, I wonder. I need to arrange their destruction, but only after the Imperator's demise. So many things to do, I need some rest...

Sigurðr's men had enough. He came to the peace table, and the conclusion was that he could leave in exchange of his gains in Roma. Would the city be free of war now? One threat only formed now: Raymond of Italy died fighting against the Norsemen of Sicily who recently converted to Islam in a Jihad. In the inheritance, Burgundy and Italy were split between his two oldest girls, and they lacked the power and will to support Celestine, who had to give up his claim as true pope. With Raymond gone, who knows if the Catholics won't try to reinstall Agatho in Roma, wherever he may be. Not that I could restart my diplomatic actions there, I have my hands full of plotting de Insanias. Not only Romulus' descendants are trying to kill their family. At least not my near relatives.

Jn2AyIw.jpg

When I found some time to return home, I saw that Templar castle on the way. Horrible building. Populated by some Catholic zealots trying to find the best whisky recipe, as they don't have anyone to protect here. Old Antoninus had reached his final destination under the seat of Templar power in Paris, so our truce was up. With my influence and experience as cancellarius, it was easy to get approval at my idea to get rid of Crichton castle. And it was as easy to occupy it, I was told. As the Imperator caught a nasty cold, one army was defeated in Camulodunum, the only real battle to speak of. Principissa Ulpia proved herself in this battle, and developed a solid ambition to expand the Imperium in her reign. Well, it was easy as the Templars only sent some dumb peasants they wanted to get rid of, apparently considering Antoninus' wise advice of avoiding the 'godforsaken Islands', with their commander holding their peace offer Julius took from his corpse. As soon as this small war was over, pontifex Rufinus reported the majority of Roma's population seeing the light of Martinus' teachings. Maybe thanks to his efforts, as he claimed, but also due to the constant influx of Martinian exiles from all over Europe, now representing the majority.

N0LosJ7.jpg

This 1st January 1000, Arcadius revealed his plan. 'As you may know, my great ancestor, the saviour of Roman culture Amentius, wanted to sail West to bring safety to his fellow Romans. They reached Nova Roma 133 years ago. And see where we are now! Still, I do not think we reached Amentius' land. The Source of True Wealth. Remember that he died shortly after being found with some gold in his hands?'
There it goes. Amentius' gold, again. Did he want to open a mine under one of our islands glaciers? And what is that Source of True Wealth? Another one of his hallucinations?
'He was in the West. And returned. I have studied the archives from our pioneer days, and I have seen that one hundred Norsemen left one day, with the intention of returning, and never did. And one Roman was with them, his name not mentioned. It had to be Amentius. He found gold in the West, and returned! And I will follow his example, but without returning!'
He intended to leave us? This was the plan he mentioned in his Journal! It caused a great uproar in the Senate, and principissa Ulpia looked like she was contemplating what she could do as Imperatrix. Won't I have any moment of rest? Please, all I want is some time home, see my family, not having to collect milia passuum all the time! I surely will enter history as the man who travelled the most during his life... The nobility won't accept such a sudden abdication to Ulpia, and I will have to flatten the waves. In the name of Martinus, don't...
'It is my decision, and I will not change it. I have already talked to the prisoners, and the dux of Segovium will accompany me. I also have prepared ships, rations and a crew for the voyage and colonisation of the land we'll find, although my family doesn't want to follow me. Also, my last order as Imperator is to confiscate Gandalfr MacAilpin's titles and wealth. He and his family are poison for the Imperium, and it is best for it if they have no power. May the Imperium continue to prosper, and may Ulpia be up to the task of ruling it!'
Before anyone could stop him, Arcadius stormed out of the Senate, on his trusty horse 'Caligula', rode to the harbour, boarded the ship awaiting him and joined the other ships on the horizon.
He is gone. I hope he has taken his journal with him. What a folly, not only his idea, but also leaving in the middle of the winter! (But, as I think of it, Amentius reached Nova Roma the first of January, too) And now, the task of holding the Imperium together, all over again! I can almost see Arcadius' face, laughing as he thinks of the political storm he has unleashed on Nova Roma. Thank you, my Imperator. When will I be able to rest?

oFeJyjJ.jpg

Ulpia de Insania, Imperatrix Imperio Britannico

He really did it. I didn't believe him when he told me his plans, but this is a most pleasant surprise. I am Imperatrix! I was still realizing it when cancellarius Cornelius returned from the harbour.
'Where shall I begin, your Imperial Majesty? Hand out the Cambrian titles? Also, I have talked to quaestor Publius on my way back and we both think it would be wise to redistribute the wealth of the explorer Octavius and the traitor Gandalfr under the nobility. Such a bribe may calm them down a bit. Do you want to hold on to the present council? Do I have to talk to rex Julius? I shall leave immediately if you wish it.'
Cornelius talked fast and always looked left and right to see if some landholders were here he could warm up to the idea of me as Imperatrix. 'You hand out the denarii we confiscated to the rebellious nobility. Magister inquisitiones Diocletian should start gathering intelligence to dissolve the factions. And send pontifex Vespasian to the East. I will keep the council, and who do you think deserves the Cambrian lands?'

p5mMQTe.jpg

The cancellarius sighed. 'I am sure the Austisii will want to hold a place of importance in the realm. With Alvör dying in the dungeon, most of the family went to Frankish lands to try their luck, and there is almost nobody of the ancient family left in the Imperium. Also, we should reward a Vitsercus for the great deeds of Fabius Primus, one of our greatest commanders. Julius gained a regnum, the Vitserci deserve another ducatus. This would show the nobility that you respect their position in the Imperium and don't aspire to replace them with young upstarts.'
Say what you want, Cornelius had valuable experience. 'You do this, but choose children we can influence for the good of the Imperium. Also, tell the Templars to pack their things and leave Hedingham. I never liked seeing their banner in the comitatus of Camulodunum.'
'But my Imperatrix, we just took Crichton from them. Don't you think the Catholics won't take it lightly?'
'It was not me who commanded the first war. Anyway... If they land here, we'll throw them back into the sea! Send those Templars packing!'
Cornelius left, visibly annoyed. Who cares, I am Imperatrix! I have to lead the Imperium to Greatness like no de Insania did before!

DqUve4f.jpg

The cowards calling themselves holy knights surrendered as soon as Hedingham fell. Not fighting the 'Heretics of the North', but claiming to defend the Catholic faith? Ridiculous. Well, the barbarians of Orcades didn't fare much better, overwhelmed by our invasion. Now, it was some time ago, where to strike next...

KVXRK9q.jpg

'My Imperatrix, the poor dux Felix of Mercia has now almost passed his whole youth in the dungeon. Arcadius forgot to release him, he did nothing wrong. I plead you, let him go. You know, he is the young man you threw in the oubliette for complaining three months ago.'
'Who let you in?' The dux of Pons Aelius, Clementius, interrupted my planning. I had my answer ready for him. 'The audacity to disturb the future of the Imperium! Haven't you yourself ordered the murder of a de Insania? And aren't you backing my uncle Vespasian? I am the only rightful Imperatrix, my father said it himself before leaving! Do you want to distract me so that you can pull out your dagger?'
'Your Majesty, I only want to correct a wrong, not talk politics now and I...'
'Everyone in the cells deserves it. And you will be no exception! Guards! To the dungeon with him!'
Clementius tried to protest, but my guards, who could not complain having nothing to do, carried him away. Let's see... Julius saw that he has his obligations to fulfill. Caecilia tried to plot for the Caledonian crown and got Titus' cell, as he just died. Felix in the oubliette, Clementius just joining them... There is enough room left for more!
But where to strike next... The Karlings are too strong, united in their defence against the Italian rebellion. Time to unite the Imperia! The Greeks in the East have only a shell of an Imperium, and we have to act before there is nothing left of it. The only problem is that Zoe is still alive and my brother Clementius would inherit the Imperium if I press my mother's claim...

iEWkrgn.jpg

Caecilia shouldn't have complained... the oubliette fitted her well until her unfortunate end. Sad thing Ulpia of Segovium died, though. All that was left to do is wait for my co-consp...
'Your Imperial Highness, Marcellinus, that drunken idiot, has talked.' Great. I thought it was a bad idea to invite a praefectus urbanus of Roma in my plot. I should have learned from history, regina Paulina's sister had no luck scheming from Uppsala in Nova Roma, what did I expect of an even bigger distance.
'I strongly advise you to make your pilgrimage to Roma, as it is expected of the Imperator, now so that some grass may grow over the affair.' Diocletian was right, I guess. He had done a great job dissolving factions, and he was a smart and trustworthy man.
It was a bad idea to cross Anglia though, but unlike my weakest guard, I didn't catch any pneumonia in the Anglian rain. And having learned my lesson, I used my stay in Roma to study the ancient methods. The next time, we will succeed!

xzexm1z.jpg

'Mother, the fishers are returning to the harbour. You like watching them return, don't you? Do you think father is on board of one of these ships?' I really hoped not. There was still much to do, and I am sure Arcadius wouldn't approve most of my actions. I could be disinherited!
'Are you still trying to kill me, Ulpia? You should assist the Senate's sessions if you want to learn how to make someone disappear, although it is calm for now. You do not understand love, do you?'
Well, if I would, I wouldn't think of matricide, would I? My husband Aimery is just a duke's son with a little grip of diplomacy, nothing more to me.
'You know I don't like being in crowds. Aimery and Cornelius represent my opinions, and even if they would just sit there all the time they are better then me. I'll go with you if it makes you feel better. See? There they come.'
I followed the instructions of my co-plotters, inspired by my lecture in Roma, and Aquilia had hired a carpenter to sabotage the balcony, as much as it pains me to damage my own palatium. Some sacrifices had to be made for my ascension to greatness. And I who thought perfecti were the only ones really living without sins.
'My eyes are deceiving me again, I need to have a better look.' She leaned forward. The balcony gave away. Goodbye mother! I was so happy to be able to unite the Imperia that it didn't bother me much that the dumb carpenter was to plagued by his conscience and revealed the plot.

2fGTHKD.jpg

You don't need a conscience if you want to achieve something. That carpenter was arrested and shares a cell with Clementius, both wanted to 'right a wrong' they helped to create, so they should have a good time together. Naturally, only after repairing the balcony for free. As I couldn't hear the pontifex preaching any more of how all material things are evil and greed is a sin even for the Church of Wolves (Catholicism), I sent him to the Swedes to talk to the raiders of greed and purity of the soul and whatnot. I haven't heard from him since, and if they allowed him preaching or not, I don't care as long as he is far away from me.

ma5ZJfm.jpg

Because soon, there will only be one Imperatrix of Roma. One. And then, the world and all its riches will tremble under the mighty fist of Ulpia de Insania, Imperatrix Imperio Romano!

Chapter XVI – Unum Imperium!

'My grandfather was the Basileus of the Greek Empire! I have a right to rule it!'
'Surely, my Imperatrix. I think it, too. But now the Greeks, or what is left of them, have another problem then disintegrating themselves over the question of who shall rule them. Basilissa Antipatra has married the king of Bohemia, and they have problems with a Bogomilist uprising. We cannot simply contest a throne without a good reason why. And simply because you want to doesn't help. I could try to persuade the Greek nobility of your just claim and...'
Cornelius was at it again. He didn't see the obvious solution to our problem.
'Antipatra is the problem? Then we'll make her disappear.' I turned to Diocletian. 'How much do you think it would cost, magister inquisitiones? It doesn't matter. Eliminate her!'
Cornelius looked relieved and shocked at the same time. It was faster then his proposition, and I didn't want to wait until I am lying on my deathbed to unite the Imperia. It would cost 1350 denarii to get rid of Antipatra, but at least Diocletian's murderers were discreet enough to escape unlike those who killed the king of Wessex.

BeAb87K.jpg

Before she died, Antipatra gave birth to a daughter, Ludmila. And surely no doux liked being ruled by a Bohemian toddler. Sadly, her regent mobilized the Varangian Guard and everyone able to defend himself against the Bogomilists and the Roman Invasion. Well, I did the same! Although Julius didn't understand that. 'You use the whole army to overthrow a toddler, sitting on the throne of a war-plagued Imperium? Surely the Legion alone is enough for that.'
The magister militum may have had a point, but I needed to show the world the might of the Imperium. Also, I forced my brother Vespasian to live a life as an Elect. He led a life free of sins, and nobody should be able to claim my title. Unlike the Eastern Imperium, which would be mine soon.

u6xxqi4.jpg

We landed with 15.000 troops in Zeta, as I would see later much more then the Greek troops numbered. Some lonely patrols of the Hospitallers saw us landing, and I think this will have left a lasting impression. A pleasant surprise was to see the Byzantines fighting the Bogomilists not far from where we went ashore. As soon as they settled their dispute, we picked up where the Bogomilists had left and tore the tired lot left apart. Before the next battle, I caught pneumonia and separated the army. The Greek nobles said it would be God's punishment for being a heretic, but then why did I survive it? Sorcery? They just hoped I died, and tried to recruit more men with this lie. It didn't help them, as I sent the toddler to her father in Bohemia. The Imperia were finally re-united!

wF0ICPV.jpg

'My Augusta, the Greeks are not too happy about your involvement. While some associate Antipatra's murder with a lone heretic assassin trying to improve the odds of their rebellion, I don't think most of them are blind like the ducissa of Venetia. Either they can count one and one together or they hate you for being Roman and Martinian. Those Greeks abandoned the Schism with the Pope as soon as we attacked. Maybe they hoped for Catholic help? What I want to say is they want you to step down in favour of the late Basilissa's uncle. Now they can't do anything, but they may gain strength... Should I talk to them?'
Cornelius could really be a pain sometimes. I wanted to enjoy the victory, not take care of some uppity Greeks. It was his duty, but still... Couldn't he wait?
'Oh, and before I forget it... Cassius of Glevum asks for your clemency in the case of Felix of Mercia.'
'This again? The dungeon awaits him, too! And for the Greeks, we will see if they still complain after we retake Illyria!'
Cornelius looked like he wanted to interject something, then stopped and left. My plan was first Rascia, then Hum, see what I can do in Croatia, then Slavonia... What would the Greeks say after that? The Legion would be enough to do this, so I dismissed the Britannian levies.

vH90RST.jpg

The duke of Cherson fled battle, but had to surrender Rascia into Imperial hands. Then we took Hum from Rashka, which tried to defend themselves with a undisciplined bunch of Templars. They really should avoid confrontation with Romans, those 'Holy Knights'. Then we profited from a civil war in Croatia to take two provinces from them, beating up some Templars in Usora along the way. And after that we drowned the Slavonian resistance in arrows as they wanted to prevent us from taking Zagreb. This made most Greeks shut up, or was it Diocletian? Speaking of which:
'My agentes bring news from home, my Imperatrix. Those brave or foolish enough to stand in your way passed away in their cells. Also, I managed to dissuade so many nobles of factionalism that I have lost count. And I ask you you give Cornelius a new task, the last time I saw him he had doubled in weight attending to his garden. I think I preferred him when he was stressed. What are your orders?'
'The Italian border seems unstable. Keep an eye on them and report when Karling hostilities break out. And there is no need for diplomacy now. Now our weapons do the talking.'
Diocletian left, and my plan was progressing. The Imperium was in full rise, and the next to feel that would be the Bulgarian Iconoclasts, fortunately just defending against a Cuman invasion.

jg0zpoP.jpg

Would the Cumans take Wallachia, I would happily throw them back into the steppes. And nobody likes the Bulgarian Iconoclasts anyway. The pitiful rest of their army was liberated in Dorostutum by a rain of arrows, and I commanded the sieges to begin. One man called Ljubomir 'the Effeminate' was caught in one of those sieges. Bored, and waiting for the capitulation, I had my fun with him until he had to be put away. Nobody save my guards heard of it, so who will ever know? Not Aleksii of Bulgaria, he gave up Nicopolis. And certainly not those damned Swedes who banished pontifex Vespasian. According to him, their favourite pastime was civil war, and three different claimants were trying to dethrone Knut II. The same shall never happen here, we as civilized people usually only have two real contestants. Well, maybe he has more luck in Garðariki, it seems to be a stable kingdom.

KnjwqLP.jpg

MByP2cH.jpg

Politics are so dull. I practised in front of a mirror, but it was some time since I had been in Nova Roma and I didn't intend to return soon. Aimery wanted a title of his own, but I told him clearly why I declined his request. We have enough Greek Catholics, we don't need an Occitan. And he should stay in Nova Roma anyway. War is much more interesting, and Diocletian brought me the message I awaited eagerly: Queen Aude of Italy was fighting against the other Karling kingdoms. I sent the magister inquisitiones back to Britannia to summon the whole army and declared war to free Carinthia from the Papal influence.

q2amDzx.jpg

It is that hard to learn that you are no match for the Imperial troops? It was for Slavonia and Usora, who both combined their knowledge in failure and were taught another lesson in Andautonia. With king Imre 'the Bold' joining the war on Italy's side, another lesson was dealt: Assemble your army far away from the enemy. And don't join any unnecessary wars if you have a powerful neighbour who wants to take back its ancestral lands. After the battle of Vasvár and our sack of Sopron, the new Hungarian king and his immense army reclaimed Pecs for the Magyar crown. My favourite enemies have successfully passed class: The Templars were fortified in Treviso and waited, well knowing that if all of Carinthia fell, the war would end without them being involved in the fighting. And it came that way. The Frankish kingdoms had joined, but too late as Aude had lost her grip on Carinthia and yielded. The Imperium had once more triumphed, and there is much more to conquer!

wIjPXYf.jpg

VInqxaY.jpg

f72c4l8.jpg

The Journal of Cornelius de Insania:

With Arcadius gone, the idea of writing a journal just like the departed Imperator spooked in my head. I thought I would never have enough time to do so though. The nobility simply didn't accept Ulpia, but luckily they weren't united. Some backed her brother Vespasian, others her uncle with the same name, and others aimed for more autonomy. Some even backed me! (For Caledonia.) Julius wanted an independent Hibernia, but my efforts and him being on Ulpia's side in battle distracted him from this idea. And Ulpia's continuous use of a more rustic method then smooth diplomacy combined with Diocletian's excellent spy network digging out many secrets the wannabe-schemers want to be kept contained the factions. And these methods make me actually having some free time. Since I was sent home to imprison the freshly deceased Cassius Constantius of Glevum after the Unification, I only voyaged between Dunedinum and Nova Roma. With the military and the Imperatrix in Illyria and Diocletian trying to catch up to my amount of travelled distance, there was nothing to do. So now I write, eat all I should have eaten during my travels and I stretch my green fingers. Finally some time to rest.

(…) From what I hear, Ulpia's methods are truly effective. Most of Illyria has fallen, and I am told under very low casualties, and I really wonder how long this will continue so successful. What does she want to accomplish? Although Diocletian, shortly in Nova Roma, tells me she likes to seize occasions and sacrifice others to achieve their goals. Thankfully I don't have to make diplomatic approaches to other European realms any more! They would in the best case be scared of Roman might, in worst throw me out for representing a cruel witch. Diocletian answered that the latter sounded true to him, and that Ulpia intended to attack Italia. Why did that idiot Raymond die so soon?

(…) The more I hear, the better it is that I am far away from Illyria. The remaining Illyrian lords are cursing the day Ulpia survived the pneumonia. The Bulgarians are losing Wallachia after the Roman attack did its best to weaken their defences. But the Cumans don't know that they conquer the land only to be Ulpia's next target. The Bavarians have to feel that any weakness will be used by the new Lollard king and his great army of exiles. The Italians lost Carinthia, and the Templars were hiding behind Trevisan walls, allegedly shuddering of fear even after the army went East. If all that is true, Ulpia is more Attila than Augustus. I wonder how long it will take for our Greek landholders to feel this. And if that positive trend will stop. Positive at least for us Romans in Britannia. Now, the Legion in Illyria is ever-growing, with fresh recruits flocking to the eagle with the sight of enormous gains in front of their eyes. But for how long? How long can Attila (Ulpia) keep going? At least the Hungarians will approve of my name for her.

Chapter XVII – Ulpia or Attila?

The rich merchants in Amalfi are loving to help their Italian and Bavarian brothers in faith. What a shame it would be if anything happens to their city. And what riches are stored there. Well, they were involved in Queen Aude's try to once more claim Burgundy. Means there was nobody to defend Amalfi. The merchants who stayed in the city hired the Company of the Hat to defend them, but we had all the time we needed. And I won't make a bad joke over their chosen mercenaries. Once moving in from the North, then from the South, some flanking attacks, a naval assault... my patient moves in the battle of Minori brought me recognition from all sides. One merchant escaped and returned with some Basques, but what did he try to accomplish with that? Oh well. Before their Doge surrendered the city to Roma, I had enough time to assist my daughter Petronia's marriage in Roma and instruct her to take over my duties in the Senate as diplomat. Some merchants in Amalfi accepted the new rule soon enough, and disgruntled Cornubian traders followed, starting the res publica of Salerno, assuring me a fair share of the profit. The former doux of Salerno is rotting in the dungeon, and someone had to take care of it.

TUJo8uD.jpg

The Greeks cursed again as I survived Typhus. I won't die before I have reached my goals! May they like it or not. And the illness proved inspirational. West Francia was too stable. My uncle Vespasian, one of the Legion's legati, had a claim on it through his mother Agathe. How could I forget this? Had he some more ambition, like me, he would have talked to me much sooner. The only problem was the stability of the kingdom, but this was nothing that couldn't be taken care of. Roubaud 'the Great', as if anyone else then me would deserve this title, suddenly turned green during the festivities he held to celebrate his soon-to-come victory over the nobles wanting more autonomy. Our assassin was the only servant not looking concerned enough as the poison worked its magic and so he was caught. Who cares. He did manage to tell them our declaration of war.

nEySmix.jpg

The first move of the young king Josselin was not surprising, begging for help under his family. But only Italy responded positively. Not having the backing he would have liked, he desperately tried an attack on Camulodunum with his small elite force awaiting reinforcements. The Britannian forces were already on their way to Lutetia when they returned and threw them out of Anglia. What did he expect with such a bold move? The Legion was closing in on his capital, and the Northern army had returned on the continent.

8Bf1DRw.jpg

Josselin's castle of Melun was almost empty, didn't he expect us here so soon? After a short assault, I found his young brother Bérenger. With the heir to the throne as hostage, the king would be soon to capitulate.
'Well, uncle, soon this castle will be yours! And if you put some statues here and there, maybe polish it with some marble, it is not too bad a place. What do you think, rightful rex of Gallia?'
I awaited an answer, all I heard was some violent coughing. I knew that sound. Vespasian collapsed soon enough, he had pneumonia.

uGsIC9k.jpg

The doctors couldn't help him. He was not as resistant as I am.
'What do you mean, we have to end this war!' Cornelius had arrived in Melun following the Northern army.
'Vespasian had a right on the throne, even it was not obvious. Young Josselin's regency let us contest this. But now not only he's a grown-up man, but also I cannot shake the family tree enough to find another Roman pretender for the throne. And if we simply claim it by force, nobody would trust us. Your faithful vassals, me included, would fear the day the Legion gets in sight. It could mean you are taking their titles! The Imperium would collapse, you would have to fight on hundreds of fronts, and believe me, this is a fight you cannot win. As sad as it is, Gallia will not be incorporated into the Imperium now.'
The worst part of it is that Cornelius was right. And I know who will pay for it. The East will regret the day Vespasian died more then I do. In fact, only if they will be able to regret it from the smouldering ruins of their farms and the burning remains of what they call a city, looking at the bodies of those resisting my wrath. The Greek curse has hit the wrong victim. And the intended victim is angry. Whoever is responsible for it, if there is one I will find him. He can't be too far from his homeland. That person will suffer more then in the hell of the Catholics. Revenge will be mine.

WrB68WD.jpg

The Journal of Cornelius:

(…) Horace may have had his reasons when he wrote Ira furor brevis est (Anger is a brief insanity) – but he didn't know someone like Imperatrix Ulpia. She burnt the whole Valachian landscape before the Cumans offered her peace, not even having fought a battle. Then she found the last Anglo-Saxon exiles in Moldavia. While they feared Romans, they surely didn't remember such cruelty and rage in our leaders. After they were overrun, a small Slavic chief who just happened to lead a raiding party in Ulpia's sight saw his lands attacked by 10.000 legionnaires and his people enslaved. Talk about being at the wrong place the wrong time. The warmongering stopped briefly as the Imperatrix got ill, but once more she recovered. The story of the curse may have a true core.

D0HitH9.jpg

(…) Ulpia turned her anger towards the Illyrians. Rashka couldn't get any Templars to help them this time and was mercilessly decimated. So much blood was spilled in the last campaigns that the formerly loyal rex of Hibernia tried to rally support to be instituted Imperator himself. Sadly for him and Ulpia's future enemies, Diocletian's agentes heard of it. A valuable legatus, Ulpia had him end his scheming and closely watched by her personal guard without more punishments. I am sure I would have ended in jail for such a plot. Proves that she values military prowess more then her justice.

v3Mx4Bh.jpg

(…) The count of Usora escaped the Legion, but left his people behind. The duke of Slavonia resisted with a Templar army on his side. But the Legion, now 14.000 legionnaires strong, defeated him and chased them around the whole duchy until he gave up. Now I hear she is trying to cut some sort of deal. Will it slow down the conquests? Enough for a cartographer to show me the expansion of the Imperium. It looked like an eagle preying on Italia. The cartographer didn't understand what I meant, but for me it was obvious. And that he coloured it red was more then fitting. A blood eagle. Wasn't that some form of torture the Vitsercus' ancestors practised? I'll have to ask Tiberius. (…)

vufyRIx.jpg

xalxfnd.jpg

Imperatrix Ulpia:

'Your Imperial Highness, an Italian by the name of … Biagio Ventimiglia asks for an audience. He says you are his last hope. And that you might be interested in his proposal. Shall I let him enter?'
We were in a camp at the Bulgarian border after the marriage of my son Claudius to a talented Árpád. The Hungarians were the only Christians really accepting us, united in our hate of the pope. Well, the only Western ones. What might be his offer? I was planning my next move on the Iconoclasts, but if I could advance on Italia instead it would be worth my time. 'Let him in.'
My guard stepped aside and an old man, I would guess around sixty, entered my tent.
'Ave, Imperatrix Ulpia. I am sure you haven't heard of me. I am Biagio Ventimiglia, the last of my family, former dukes of Benevento before the Norsemen came. And I am the rightful king of Bulgaria. Only I was not able to rally enough men to my cause to press it! I am no Norse like the ancestor of the Syrian king who invaded the Aegean Islands with 30.000 men. Italians need more then the promise of mead, women and pillage to embark on such an adventure, and I was therefore unable to convince them to follow me. I went to my kingdom to gather support, but I am not a Bulgarian and not an Iconoclast, so they threw me out. Desperate as I was, I seriously considered suicide, when I saw your camp. Help me gain my throne, and my gratitude and loyalty to you will know no bounds.'
A desperate Italian met an angry Roman. This could prove more beneficial then it sounded. Bulgaria would fall to the Hospitallers and myself sooner or later, if we took it in one war, this would spare some time I could use to subjugate other lands. But an Italian vassal? I had enough problems with the Greeks. I had an idea.
'Old man, I think you have found your supporter. The Imperium needs to recover the Bulgarian lands, and the opposition is lower if it is by installing a claimant. But under three conditions:
1. You marry a Roman and teach your possible offspring to behave like civilized people. Roman.
2. You may keep your faith for now, but as soon as I tell you to forget the pope, you do it.
3. Don't die before this is over. This is the most important part. If you do, I don't know what will happen.
Oh, and if you are a true Christian knight: stay away from the battle. It will be nasty.'
Before Biagio could answer, I was out of my tent shouting orders to the legati to prepare the Legion for war. I had to defy the Greek curse once more.

8v7vdns.jpg

And defying I did! Once more the cough started killing me. In response I had one of the remaining Orthodox villages eradicated from the surface of the Earth. The Greeks were Orthodox before they tried to find salvation with the Catholics, and if a human is responsible for my illnesses, it is the Ecumenical Patriarch. With the Italian far away from the fighting, I effectively ended the only Iconoclast kingdom in Kilifarevski, although they only surrendered later. Finally put on his throne, that ungrateful man did nothing but complain! He said he wanted to rule a kingdom, not only over some scattered souls. He wanted a palace, not a burning heap of stone and wood in Tyrnovo. At least he held his part of the deal. If he wanted an intact kingdom, he should have asked his Templar friends. But if they accepted, he would probably die before they won their war. He should be happy with what he had.

RCdfMvk.jpg

Cornelius' Journal:

(…) The Caledonian lords have taken over some customs of the former rulers of this land. Not me and not Diocletian though. It is slowly Romanizing, but what I meant is the fierce spirit of their relative independence within the realm. Nova Roma struggled in person of Diocletian to keep the vassals in check, and while most accepted it, Gordian of Caricium didn't. He wasn't even directly affected by it, his liege is the dux of Gallovania. I cannot understand what goes through one's head when one makes such a decision. The word should be stronger then the sword, and while even this is contested by the Imperatrix, the dagger is the strongest in the Roman world. Considering this or don't thinking about it, Ulpia appointed the new dux of Slavonia, Finn Mac Finnachta, as her new magister inquisitiones. Having a talent for staying in the dark, the young man has Celtic roots, important enough for him that he doesn't want to change his name, and this will help him deal with this spirit, I hope. Poor Diocletian. And Tauricans. Because this is where the next campaign of Ulpia is directed at. (…)

5aVADRr.jpg

Imperatrix Ulpia:

What a refreshing sight it is to see huts burn. What are nomads doing near the old cities of Taurica anyway? The Greeks apparently revived the Bosporan Kingdom before the nomads conquered it, but now I will put the old cities under the government of merchants. They will rebuild Chersonesus, the other cities and the slave trade in the region. We will need lands to get those slaves from first...
'My Imperatrix, a messenger just arrived from Coloneia. The Gafurid Caliph is attacking our province!'
'Coloneia? I did not know it is part of the Imperium. But nobody will conquer any Roman land as long as I am Imperatrix! To the boats!'
Seeing my devotion to defend places I didn't even know were under my protection – apparently some lands held by Greeks at the time of my invasion (they were bidding for the Basilissa to come) – the rex of Bulgaria stopped his grumbling and stopped recognizing the pope as the Church's head. Also the Greeks accepted less autonomy. This attack was a blessing in disguise! Now all that was left to do was end it. Then I'll direct my wrath to connect the lands in Asia Minor to the Imperial lands.

txiUnJf.jpg