• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It won't let me create a theater there? Only on my own territory like England, India, Singapore et cetera... Cannot create a theater in French Vietnam either, it's pretty annoying.

I see, you are playing England, not France. Why don't you just take over AI ?

Poor thread hasn't seen action in a while :(

Was hoping someone could clarify supply production for me. I just picked the game back up after over a year, so i've forgotten a bunch of stuff.
I'm playing Soviets, 60k supply stockpile, and trying to put as much IC into production. Does everyone else reduce their supply production in that case? That's what i do, but i seem to remember reading that supply production is like a heart, pumping supplies forward for soldiers to use, regardless of stockpile size. Is that likely why i'm getting supply shortages?

Secondly: can anyone explain what the hell this is, or how i can get those resources back? I can't make convoys to the island. I don't even understand how the hell supplies got there, since 4.5 supplies a day would take ~14444 days to achieve that kind of number.
https://s22.postimg.org/fd14z3gn5/supply.jpg

Reactions:
Was hoping someone could clarify supply production for me. I just picked the game back up after over a year, so i've forgotten a bunch of stuff.
I'm playing Soviets, 60k supply stockpile, and trying to put as much IC into production. Does everyone else reduce their supply production in that case? That's what i do, but i seem to remember reading that supply production is like a heart, pumping supplies forward for soldiers to use, regardless of stockpile size. Is that likely why i'm getting supply shortages?

Go ahead and decrease supply production. Your stockpile will just keep pumping supplies around. Your supply shortages are probably just due to the game's funkyness, they never really managed to get all the bugs out of the supply system. Or if you really have a lot of troops, it could be infrastructure causing those shortages.

Secondly: can anyone explain what the hell this is, or how i can get those resources back? I can't make convoys to the island. I don't even understand how the hell supplies got there, since 4.5 supplies a day would take ~14444 days to achieve that kind of number.

Ehhh... what the hell. I think that might be the cause of your supply problems :D

Poor thread hasn't seen action in a while :(
Hi :)

A long time ago I didn't see this one :D
You're maybe in a supply black hole. The only way to fix it is to edit the save file. And this will not exactly fix it, cause if the game decide to send all the supply here, he will send it at some point :p
If you don't need to keep troops on this island and if the game keep pumping supply here, try to remove the harbour (also by save file editing)

Go ahead and decrease supply production. Your stockpile will just keep pumping supplies around. Your supply shortages are probably just due to the game's funkyness, they never really managed to get all the bugs out of the supply system. Or if you really have a lot of troops, it could be infrastructure causing those shortages.

That's what i thought, though i looked around a but and it seems there's some truth to the whole "supply production-heart" thing. I know the wikis are often outdated, and that HoI3 is probably the most opaque Clauswitz game ever...but the claim i often see is that supply production is distributed equally to each core province with industry -- which explains the ridiculous supply lines with, say, Siberia's arbitrary supply lines -- but at the same time doesn't seem 100% accurate, since i often see IC provinces with no supply lines attached, or with supply lines nearby but fairly off-course (no infra bottlenecks either).

Anyway, i came across this post which explains it much better:
supply is generated in core provinces which have IC. if there is no supply requested, its drawn to the supply source (capital!) after a while. so you have to produce supplies - not only draw from stockpile - to have your troops benefit from close-by IC centres.

I've tried massively over-funding supply, but with the supply "funkyness", it's impossible to really tell what effect it has. My out-of-supply troops drift into-supply then back out all the time. Normally just annoying, but these are front-line troops, and the AI knows when you're out of supply -- that's when they attack :(

Hi :)

A long time ago I didn't see this one :D
You're maybe in a supply black hole. The only way to fix it is to edit the save file. And this will not exactly fix it, cause if the game decide to send all the supply here, he will send it at some point :p
If you don't need to keep troops on this island and if the game keep pumping supply here, try to remove the harbour (also by save file editing)

Gah, think you're right. I'm gonna try sticking an airfield there and seeing if i can move the supplies with transport planes. If not, i'm just gonna have to save edit. What's even more weird is that i have no convoys, but somehow the supply keeps growing there...

That's what i thought, though i looked around a but and it seems there's some truth to the whole "supply production-heart" thing. I know the wikis are often outdated, and that HoI3 is probably the most opaque Clauswitz game ever...but the claim i often see is that supply production is distributed equally to each core province with industry -- which explains the ridiculous supply lines with, say, Siberia's arbitrary supply lines -- but at the same time doesn't seem 100% accurate, since i often see IC provinces with no supply lines attached, or with supply lines nearby but fairly off-course (no infra bottlenecks either).

Anyway, i came across this post which explains it much better:
I've tried massively over-funding supply, but with the supply "funkyness", it's impossible to really tell what effect it has. My out-of-supply troops drift into-supply then back out all the time. Normally just annoying, but these are front-line troops, and the AI knows when you're out of supply -- that's when they attack :(

I have to admit, that's news to me. Thanks for looking into it.

Basically the crux of the supply part of the game:

1. Supplies exist on the map on Jan 1st, 1936. I don't know the reasons behind their distribution on that date - but from every day following your supplies move one tile per day (originating in the capital) to wherever supplies are being requested. This is how you can get intermittent supply-outages over long distances, because if the troops in question are in supply and fully stocked, or a supply surplus occurs (because you moved stuff around etc) supply will stop being sent for a period of time. If you're not producing supplies at all and are losing supplies out of the stockpile, these gaps will increase as the supply network attempts to distribute a limited amount of supply.

2. The stockpile issue you've got there *may* be the result of some funniness with convoying that occurred when you conquered Finland. Because it's a supply dump basically you can actually set it up to manually convoy supplies out from that location - which can be handy in its own way particularly if you want to supply things that are going in the Baltic :D Those little supply dumps are actually pretty handy when they show up even if they are in weird spots sometimes. It may require you to turn AI convoy management on/off periodically to set the supply convoys to run, but you've got lots of Baltic ports to send those to. It could also be the case that those are Finnish supplies that you've captured - the Finnish AI does have a navy and maybe as the war went on they had a bunch of their naval units based out of there and so it got a massive dump of supplies from Helsinki and they've just sat there ever since. It could also be the case that that supply dump is being used to supply other ports in the Baltic already (Finland/Sweden?) due to the bad infra it'd make sense to convoy supplies as opposed to over-land lol.

3. It's definitely possible to reduce your supply need to 0 as the USSR through trade without negatively effecting your supply network. It is a *bad* idea to allow the USSR to hit 0 supplies though (which can happen if you reduce the IC to 0 and don't set up the proper trade deals) because it will take 100's of days to get any troops in Vladivostok in supply again both because of the distance and because of the limited carrying capacity of the tiles themselves :( lol.

4. Unused supplies are sent *back* to the capital (or on-map supply dumps), thats why you see your supply stockpile go down one day and then up the next - requested supplies weren't used and were sent back home. This can also cause some unholy disasters - most commonly if Germany puppets the USSR following Bitter Peace, it will be literally impossible to keep German divisions in supply for *months* regardless of how much IC you put into supplies, because a stupendous amount of supplies are in-network flowing back to Berlin and a huge number of puppet-Soviet divisions will be in German territory requesting supplies from Berlin to get home.

Last edited:
The stockpile issue you've got there *may* be the result of some funniness with convoying that occurred when you conquered Finland. Because it's a supply dump basically you can actually set it up to manually convoy supplies out from that location

It was over a year ago, but i remember capturing it quickly with marines, since i didn't have anything else to do with them. So nothing was really based there.
For some reason i can't even make convoys there either: the place isn't on the list. And yet, weirdly, the stockpile keeps growing every day...

Hummm, it could be interesting to look at how this province is considered. Maybe if you add an continental adjacency to the island or change her continent's location the supply will flow back.
The "black hole" bug I refer is a bug where all the supply was send in a single province, ending in a general starving of all your units with no supply in the capital (I get it once with Japan, with the black hole somewhere in a mainland China's harbour, can't remember the name, but it was november the 14th, 2011, I join the forum for that :D ). So it is not exactly what you describe but it's pretty close.

Hi folks! I have a minor problem I'd really appreciate some help with - I'm puppeting Poland without meaning to.

I'm playing a game as the Soviet Union, in TFH, on hard difficulty. 1939 i activated the MR-pact, let Germany take Poland, and then let Germany take the whole country. Poland joined the allies when Germany declared war, and went government-in-exile when Germany conquered them,. I then fired the decision to force Germany to give me eastern Poland, which went off without a hitch. Western Poland is now conquered by Germany, Eastern Poland has been annexed by me.

It's 1942 now, and I'm at war with Germany, pushing them back, into what was once western Poland. I'm not at war with GiE Poland, and have no war goals on them. The moment I take Warsaw, however, the game "restores" Poland, creating a puppet state, consisting of all the polish territory I've occupied so far (though not the territory I've already annexed). This messes with my Supply Lines pretty severely. Anyone know of a way to prevent that happening? Worst-case, I could probably make GiE-Poland surrender to Germany using tag commands, to actually let Germany annex them, but I wondered if there was an in-game way to fix this. Or does the game not want you to occupy a country's territory, without also being at war with them?

Cheers!

TL;DR: Don't you hate it when you accidently puppet a nation?

Well, I go into File Explorer, location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Hearts of Iron 3\save games

and delete all the old ones I don't want.

If you're not running through Steam, then whatever the equivalent location would be.

Do exile governments ever come back from exile ?
In my game, the Brits overran Ethiopia , and the Ethiopian government went into exile. My Germany restored every province of Ethiopia to Ethiopian / Italian control about a month ago.
The Ethiopian Government is still in exile a month later. :/
I wasn't expecting the Ethiopian Army to conquer Russia for me , but it's the principle of the thing. Seeing Ethiopian troops on the board was comforting / affirming somehow.

The Italian AI has simple chosen not to hit the "liberate" button on the diplomacy screen - which can both create new governments and bring old ones out of exile OR even leave them in exile sometimes if things get really funky and you're from the Comintern or Axis lol.

Reactions:
Phew, poor thread doesn't get much exercise.

I've finally started playing with carriers. In all my time i've never touched them. I've always liked the fun of big bombardment fleets.
Anyway, can anyone tell me why CAG duty planes aren't intercepting naval strikes? Maybe half the time they just do nothing. There's no combat or anything going on. I'm playing UK and blocking Germany from invading Denmark over that little strait. They send NAVs to bomb, and my CAGs often just sit there doing nothing. Is this normal? Or is it maybe the "surprise" penalty thing?

They send NAVs to bomb, and my CAGs often just sit there doing nothing. Is this normal? Or is it maybe the "surprise" penalty thing?

Have you tried to set them on "intercept" mission?
Instead of the usual "CAG Duty".

Depends on what Germany is bombing. If it's bombing the port, CAG Duty is busy protecting your ships, not the harbor they're in, and so oddly enough, they will ignore the bombers. The ships you have in port will suffer "collateral damage", without being the target.

If the bombers attack the ships, CAG Duty should properly defend them. To protect the port as well as the ships, you need to use the "Intercept" mission for the port province. Don't worry, it's not as convoluted as it first seems, it's actually a lot worse, but it is possible to figure it all out....except for the supply system, which is clearly controlled by black magic.

They're not in port (though it's a shame to hear CAG duty doesn't work with defending ports), they're just sat in the sea blocking the strait.
Intercept works. For some reason CAG duty quite often doesn't.
The org/damage are fine on the planes (95%+), and they're on Aggressive. Could air detection be part of the problem?
It's very weird.