• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I usually don't bother much with navies but today I started a game as Sweden and saw a button that I have never seen before. I think it said "gunboat diplomacy" or something like that, what does it mean/do?

I usually don't bother much with navies but today I started a game as Sweden and saw a button that I have never seen before. I think it said "gunboat diplomacy" or something like that, what does it mean/do?

Effectively, nothing. It was something that PI wanted to use -- it's mentioned in the manual -- but it never got implemented in the game; you get the "Repay Debts" CB instead.

Oh ok, thats odd. Thanks.

If I want to keep an army stationed overseas in good supply do I need a high percentage allocated to the national stockpile slider, the military spending slider, or both?

Oh ok, thats odd. Thanks.

If I want to keep an army stationed overseas in good supply do I need a high percentage allocated to the national stockpile slider, the military spending slider, or both?

National stockpile slider. Military spending affects the rate at which your POPs convert into soldiers and the rate at which you gain leadership. This could reduce your availability of reinforcements if it's too low, so ideally you'd have both. But if you must choose one, supplies come from the national stockpile.

why isnt there many events for countries like italy, britain, japan or germany in the late game. i mean there isnt even a event for the russio-japanese war or a heligoland-zanzibar treaty or a event for britain to annex egypt.

why isnt there many events for countries like italy, britain, japan or germany in the late game. i mean there isnt even a event for the russio-japanese war or a heligoland-zanzibar treaty or a event for britain to annex egypt.

Because thats deterministic and was in no way probable starting in 1836.

It dilutes your clerk bonus. If you have 8000 craftsmen and 2000 clerks in a level 1 factory, you get the full bonus. If you expand that factory to level 2 but add no workers, the bonus is halved because you need 4000 clerks to get the full bonus in a level 2 factory.

If you are just employing craftsmen it doesn't make a lot of difference, but if you have significant clerk numbers you don't want to expand factories faster than you can fill them with workers.

It dilutes your clerk bonus. If you have 8000 craftsmen and 2000 clerks in a level 1 factory, you get the full bonus. If you expand that factory to level 2 but add no workers, the bonus is halved because you need 4000 clerks to get the full bonus in a level 2 factory.

If you are just employing craftsmen it doesn't make a lot of difference, but if you have significant clerk numbers you don't want to expand factories faster than you can fill them with workers.

So are you saying that the full bonus for craftsmen is always 8000 and the bonus for clerks doubles (or raises by 2000?) with every level? Also, I've never heard of this bonus so what does the bonus do for you?

So are you saying that the full bonus for craftsmen is always 8000 and the bonus for clerks doubles (or raises by 2000?) with every level? Also, I've never heard of this bonus so what does the bonus do for you?

I think he means the number of clerks and craftsmen. The bonus just makes factories more efficient.

I think it's just that 20% clerks is optimal...I don't think craftsmen do anything special...

Yeah, but it kind of sounds like he's saying that for each extra level of factory you need additional workers to achieve the same bonus that you had at the previous level. Does this apply to both clerks and craftsmen or just to clerks?

Edit:

I think it's just that 20% clerks is optimal...I don't think craftsmen do anything special...

Oh ok so craftsmen are irrelevant to the bonus then?

I have started getting bankruptcy events for the countries I am playing, something which never happened before AHD. Some of the bankruptcies are quite strange as well; yesterday I had a debt of around £100K (from a previous war) and a daily income of circa £550 and got a bankruptcy. Sure it's a big debt, but it wasn't as if I was running a huge loss.

So what my question boils down to is this:
- Since there are no clear warnings in-game (as far as I know) of an impending bankruptcy, I would be very grateful if someone could explain the exact mechanics behind it.

Yes they are. Craftsmen have no effect, theyre just there so that the factory can produce at all.

..Thanks.

Clerks produce nothing, they just give a bonus to the amount craftsmen produce. A factory with 10 craftsmen and no clerks produces a lot more than a factory with 1 craftsman and 2000 clerks.

A level two factory with 8000 craftsmen (and no clerks) in it produces exactly the same as a level one factory with 8000 craftsmen (and no clerks). However, you require 8000 craftsmen and 4000 clerks in a level 2 factory (or 8000 craftsmen and 20,000 clerks in a level 10 factory) to get the same production from your 8000 craftsmen that 2000 clerks gave you in a level 1 factory. Once you are employing clerks, having a factory that is too large for your craftsmen results in lower production.

I have started getting bankruptcy events for the countries I am playing, something which never happened before AHD. Some of the bankruptcies are quite strange as well; yesterday I had a debt of around £100K (from a previous war) and a daily income of circa £550 and got a bankruptcy. Sure it's a big debt, but it wasn't as if I was running a huge loss.

So what my question boils down to is this:
- Since there are no clear warnings in-game (as far as I know) of an impending bankruptcy, I would be very grateful if someone could explain the exact mechanics behind it.

All loans are repayable on demand by either the borrower or the lender. Just like you can repay a loan whenever you feel like it, the POP whose savings you have borrowed can demand its money back whenever there is a new car it wants to buy with them. If you neither have the spare cash, nor are there any other POPs with surplus savings available to borrow, you go bankrupt.

You can check how much there is in the way of surplus savings sloshing around by seeing just how large a loan you could take out. If you see that this pool is small and getting smaller, someone is about to go bust. If you are the one without spare cash on hand, you will be the one that goes bust.

Clerks produce nothing, they just give a bonus to the amount craftsmen produce. A factory with 10 craftsmen and no clerks produces a lot more than a factory with 1 craftsman and 2000 clerks.

A level two factory with 8000 craftsmen (and no clerks) in it produces exactly the same as a level one factory with 8000 craftsmen (and no clerks). However, you require 8000 craftsmen and 4000 clerks in a level 2 factory (or 8000 craftsmen and 20,000 clerks in a level 10 factory) to get the same production from your 8000 craftsmen that 2000 clerks gave you in a level 1 factory. Once you are employing clerks, having a factory that is too large for your craftsmen results in lower production.

It sure would be nice then ... if the game allowed you to decrease the size of your factory ... strange that you can only increase the size.

Currently I am editing a Save Game, and just gave the Polish some Russian provinces. How do I edit it in the Save that will quit making it show up as the provinces still being Russian?

I'm not saying that the provinces are controlled and owned by Russia, as I've got that much, but the state names still say "Russian Minsk", "Russian Weilkopolskie", etc.