• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, so basically play the waiting game after forcing Denmark back into a PU. Hopefully I can beat down all the damn rebels before the 10 year limit is up so I can force Denmark back into the PU and hopefully inherit them, since the only things I need to form Scandinavia now are cores in Norway (few years until I get them) and Denmark and those cores (hopefully soon).

EDIT: So, after putting all money into stability and moving back toward 'narrowminded' a few times so I could get enough missionaries to convert my provinces to Protestantism, I managed to get a handle on things. My monarch then chose that moment to die, and his heir was weak enough that both Austria and Great Britain claimed my throne, kicking off a succession war (and this is before I get my rebel problems ironed out, mind you).

Luckily they white peace'd after a few years, so I didn't get stuck in a PU, leaving me with no 'master' and a regency council. Currently my monarchy is strong, I have 200 relations, a military alliance, and a royal marriage with Denmark. My question is this - should I just wait until they happen to get a weak heir and then claim their throne, or should I just conquer them and wait to get cores the hard way?

Last edited:
Which would you recommend as a better starting country to form Germany - Brandenburg or Bavaria? A friend recommended the Brandenburg route, but the only mission in that direction was a direct annexation of Pommerania, which doesn't make the emperor happy. I ended up vassalising most of the northern states, waiting 10 years for the cores to come is kind of long if you don't have the power to fight the emperor.

Also, is making an elector your vassal gamey / does it have any downsides?

Which would you recommend as a better starting country to form Germany - Brandenburg or Bavaria? A friend recommended the Brandenburg route, but the only mission in that direction was a direct annexation of Pommerania, which doesn't make the emperor happy. I ended up vassalising most of the northern states, waiting 10 years for the cores to come is kind of long if you don't have the power to fight the emperor.

Also, is making an elector your vassal gamey / does it have any downsides?

Brandenburg can form Prussia; Bavaria can't. That's a big reason to do it as Brandenburg (especially with the tasty +50% discipline decision).

Only you can decide if vassalizing an elector is gamey. There really isn't a downside to it.

I'm always very confused how trade works and in which situation which policy is better (mercantilism/free trade). Assumed, I play the Hansa and controll all CoTs but just a few additional provinces in the world - which policy is better and why? Which way should a country choose, that is very big but without any CoTs oder just a few?

Last edited:
I'm always very confused how trade works and in which situation which policy is better (mercantilism/free trade). Assumed, I play the Hansa and controll all CoTs in the world - which policy is better and why? Which way should a country choose, which is very big but without any CoTs oder just a few?

If you own every single COT, then Mercantilism is better.

Hey, I was wondering about Italian Ambition mission.

You can only get if before year 1600 according to wiki.

What will happen if I wait to after year 1600 to "use" it? Will it automatically fail?

Hey, I was wondering about Italian Ambition mission.

You can only get if before year 1600 according to wiki.

What will happen if I wait to after year 1600 to "use" it? Will it automatically fail?

The year being before 1600 is in the "allow" condition, but not in the "success" condition, and the "abort" condition doesn't mention the year, either. Hence, once you get the mission, you can keep it for as long as you want and use it whenever you like.

Only you can decide if vassalizing an elector is gamey.
Although the fact the Paradox has gone to some lengths to make that no longer work in EU4 as a method of becoming Emperor is a good hint.

How often you can make slider changes is a calculation of how many provinces you have and how efficient your government type is. You cannot see Government Efficiency of each government type without looking at the files but if you hover over each available type it'll tell you how long it is between slider changes. The more efficient ones wll have shorter times between slider changes. An OPM revolutionary republic can get slider changes as often as every ~7.5 years whereas a world-spanning horde can take up to a staggering 80 years.

How often you can make slider changes is a calculation of how many provinces you have and how efficient your government type is. You cannot see Government Efficiency of each government type without looking at the files but if you hover over each available type it'll tell you how long it is between slider changes. The more efficient ones wll have shorter times between slider changes. An OPM revolutionary republic can get slider changes as often as every ~7.5 years whereas a world-spanning horde can take up to a staggering 80 years.

Hmm, so If I'm doing a WC, I'm basically stuck with 20-30 year slider moves?

Brandenburg can form Prussia; Bavaria can't. That's a big reason to do it as Brandenburg (especially with the tasty +50% discipline decision).

Only you can decide if vassalizing an elector is gamey. There really isn't a downside to it.

Yeah I was told that, but I still do not know how to actually get cores without annexing and waiting. Should I just quit the HRE and have all my new provinces quit with me as soon as I can make them? For example, I break the PU in 1402 through pretender rebels, the only aggressive missions I now get are either "take one province from Bohemia" (which is suicide unless Bohemia is getting stomped by someone) and the mission to annex Pommerania, which doesn't grant cores and the emperor comes knocking pretty fast.

edit: In reply to the post below, how exactly do you culture shift?

edit2: I'm at a loss for NI choice, I'm still playing as Brandenburg, it's 1477 and it's time for my third NI. I currently have military drill and national bank. I'll probably take bureaucracy, my trade is abysmal and will need to either shift to free trade or make my own CoT (Lübeck fell to 132 in value when I PUed Hansa)

Last edited:

you can culture shift and then form prussia as bavaria

I'm playing Steppe Wolf as Italy started from 2010 scenario. It's 2040 now.

Should I build level 5 and 6 production buildings?

Or should I build level 5 and 6 trade building?

And when do i get to scroll down on the building menu to build the other buildings?

Why wont anybody ally me? Ever? In any game? As any country?

Also any good mods? I want to play as the Byzantine Empire, not cause of the challenge but cause I am a Greek. So, any mod that makes things easier I am in. I am having fun with MISCMODS but the existance of Alexandria is bugging. Can I rename it to Egypt?

I heard Death and Taxes is good but does it slow down the game? Asking cause my laptop aint powerful.