• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aaahhh, had written a long post but then accidentally pressed on X in the top corner. Never mind, probably it didn't merit a topic of its own after all.

Watched through most of the video tutorial OlaHaldor had put up for terraforming. I sincerely hope that the map editor will be developed further because limitations, like they are now, have been pain in the backside for me to put it mildly. But now another rather irritating problem has occurred. I try to place an office building in a rather gentle slope but for some reason the huge grey foundation under it keeps on appearing under it. I have tried to lower the terrain to put the building in a "pit" so to say. But it feels rather cumbersome needing to do this for every single building I want a place. I would rather have some slopes on my map to make it more interesting, although it seems like in the game no stops can be sloped on streets going uphill or downhill.

Also, I am a bit stuck with a problem as JimboBleargh above describes. There seems to be no Undo when the map is saved and I come back working on it another time? Do I have to put everywhere, where I would actually want to have concrete or paving, "grey mass" from the Decal submenu instead?

Thank you Sir Reisenman Sir, that helped =) In the end it was pretty obvious so much that I should have noticed it myself!

As for my own problem, looks like modifying the terrain and making it as level as possible is the key to avoid huge gaps/height differences between streets and the buildings. I do find this a bit annoying, though. My short fuse and even shorter attention span make it even more difficult for me to concentrate on creating a playable map.

Looking forward to any possible improvements, such as proper gridding and easier terraforming, for the map editor.

please can you make tutorial on pink marker . what does it do and how to work with it ? thx

What and how does this pink marker work in the editor please?

I used the pink marker too, but there is just a o so small amount of letters... a bug? I remember in the Berlin map the "Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße".
Couldn't fill in such long names with the pink marker...:confused:

Agree about the shortness of names. A mod to the editor to allow longer names would be superb. It must be in there somewhere! One useful tool is the Home key which displays the contours, which helps you to see where things actually are placed and where hills begin and end. I usually then just rework the contours around the buildings. And re the grey slabs. Sometimes you can move the buildings up and down using PgUp/PgDn. Otherwise, just put a fence around the building and hide the gap with greenery.

Question about power lines...

1. Are there any 'end' pieces for the power lines?
It seems that both the smaller version and the high voltage both have lines coming in and going out thus no way to end the power line.

Also...

1. Is there a way of adding any events in the editor, like fluctuation of economy, or street car accidents, or demonstrations?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I tried the power lines too CB. Height changes meant the bits wouldn't match and I simply left them out again. A pity as it's a nice touch but they need some work done on them (a power station would be a great bit of industry, surely!). And I don#t know about the events. My region is coming along in leaps and bounds but I am still some way away from the finishing touches...

1. Is there a way of adding any events in the editor, like fluctuation of economy, or street car accidents, or demonstrations?

You can add demonstrations and military parades with the editor, select them from the Animations catagory from the Add Props menu, other then those two I haven't seen any other events you can make, still however you can only seem to place them, no settings for when they appear, IF they appear(as they've yet to appear on my map.)

Ok, I don't suppose I'd really want to add demonstrators if I have no control over when they might appear, or how often etc. Thanks for the info though.

It seems the editor while makes some pretty cities by the hands of talented folks in this community, still needs some work, some features added to make it really worthwhile imo.

Ok, I have a few new questions after another session on the editor and the hope for the new patch. I see in Berlin there are roundabouts - which are not the same as the "connect single to double track road and delete the single track again". How do you make them? Is there any way of creating one-way roads? So far, the signs seem only cosmetic. Also, is there anyway of preventing construction of underground railways? I have a section with a very steep cliff, which I do not want to be permissible as building. But CiM just burrows very deep underground and allows this. Can I lower a wall underground to stop this?

For the roundabouts, Olahaldor has two videos about making them, I highly recommend them as well as his other videos, very helpful!
Link Here

As for the wall, I don't think you can actually prevent building anything of the sort like that, but perhaps someone else knows of a way?

Thanks - I had found out the second idea for the roundabouts very early on, but had no straight exit and the tram tracks didn't go through on testing it, but for country stuff, yup, that looks good. I thought I saw different ones in eastern Berlin, but I could be mistaken ;-)

Thanks - I had found out the second idea for the roundabouts very early on, but had no straight exit and the tram tracks didn't go through on testing it, but for country stuff, yup, that looks good. I thought I saw different ones in eastern Berlin, but I could be mistaken ;-)

Use a large road in the middle and connect small roads into it to make the Berlin Roundabouts which are straight, Small roads on an angle make the small angled roundabouts that Berlin doesn't use, or use as often.

A few more shortcuts would be cool. Like maybe [ and ] to alter brush size like PhotoShop, something to open the build menu on the last page you had open so that you cont have to go to construct, residential every time you want a different house.

You can add demonstrations and military parades with the editor, select them from the Animations catagory from the Add Props menu, other then those two I haven't seen any other events you can make, still however you can only seem to place them, no settings for when they appear, IF they appear(as they've yet to appear on my map.)

I would also like to know how those animations work because they DO NOT appear ingame at all for me. Anyone have some insight on how to place them or how to get them to appear?

A few more shortcuts would be cool. Like maybe [ and ] to alter brush size like PhotoShop, something to open the build menu on the last page you had open so that you cont have to go to construct, residential every time you want a different house.

+1 for certain

I would also like to know how those animations work because they DO NOT appear ingame at all for me. Anyone have some insight on how to place them or how to get them to appear?

I'm starting to think that they are somehow tied into the timeline feature that we don't have in the editor.