• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((TH, what is the outstanding warrant for exactly? Treason?))

((Treasonous printing, I think, but you'll have to ask Scrapknight or whoever issued the warrant.))

306px-Balanced_scale_of_Justice.svg.png

Supreme Court
With the arrest of Sig. Antonio Bagnoli on charges of High Treason, Conspiracy to Overthrow the Government and Lèse-majesté the Tribunal of the Supreme Court will set a date for the beginning of the trial on the 5th of May in the year 1859. This should provide both the defense and the prosecution ample time to prepare their cases. Further delay of the trial date may be considered if valid reasons are found and both parties can agree upon it.

Anti Witch bill: Aye
Religious Protection Act: Abstain
Defense of the Realm Act: Abstain
Government and Economy Act: Abstain
Taxation Reform: Abstain
1859 Budget: Aye

[Senator +25%, Governor +50%]

((Private - Privy Council))

viimanelotildeppprovencigavaumlike_zps88239123.jpg

...And with that the vote has ended. So, as most Councillors were in favor of all the mentioned propositions, it is my great honour to announce the following:

I​
  • Honorable Marzio Pedrotti, Chief Justice of the High Court of Justice
  • Raffaele Guglielmo Niccolò Vittorio Maria Alighieri, Viscount of St Umberto
  • Joaquim José Inácio, Commander of the Army of the Sea
...can now call rightly call themselves Senators of Sardinia-Piemonte.

II

Lucius Balbo, Governor General of Carthage, has been rewarded with the honorary title of "Viscount of Carthago" for his services to the Crown and Fatherland.​

-His Grace Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien,
Duca of Provence and Barone of Rubicon, Deputy Prime Minister, Lord President of the Privy Council and Minister of Internal Affairs, Praetor of Savoy and Senator for Life
Order of Saint Francis de Sales, Second Class

Old Ballot:

Anti-Witchcraft Bill: Abstain
Religious Protection Act: Yes
Defense of the Realm Act: Yes
Government and Economy Act: Yes
Taxation Reform: No
1859 Budget: Yes

[Demagogue]
[No Bonus]

New Ballot:

[Demagogue]
[Senator, +25%]

Last edited:

- Marchese Andrea Damiano Cignetti d'Alba, OSFS, Senatore, Ministro degli Affari Esteri

[Aristocrat]
[Senator: +25%]

viimanelotildeppprovencigavaumlike_zps88239123.jpg
The Ministry of Interior was asked to compile a list of evidence against a certain Sig. Antonio Bagnoli who is, at the moment, being held up on charges of High Treason, Conspiracy to Overthrow the Government and Lèse-majesté.

I - It is in this pamphlet that the forementioned Sig. Antonio Bagnoli is calling His Majesty the King a "tyrant" and inciting revolutionary hatred and violence.

II - Here Sig. Antonio Bagnoli is questioning His Majesty's Divine Right to lead and govern our Fatherland.

III - Here, Sig. Antonio Bagnoli again personally insulting His Majesty the King.

IV - ...And finally another pamphlet inciting revolutionary violence against His Majesty the King and Fatherland.

-His Grace Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien,
Duca of Provence and Barone of Rubicon, Deputy Prime Minister, Lord President of the Privy Council and Minister of Internal Affairs, Praetor of Savoy and Senator for Life
Order of Saint Francis de Sales, Second Class

Old Ballot:

Anti Witchcraft Bill: Abstain
Defense of the Realm Act: Yes - I am going to regret this decision

[Militarist]
[No Bonusses]

New Ballot:

Defense of the Realm Act: Yes - I am still going to regret this decision

[Militarist]
[Senator +25% PP]

Anti Witchcraft Bill: No - I do believe that we are in the age of reason, gentlemen. At least most of us.
Religious Protection Act: No - While I agree with the spirit of this bill, I do think that it is contrary to the Statuto Albertino, Article 24
((All subjects of the Kingdom are equal before the law, regardless of their rank or title.
All shall equally enjoy civil and political rights and shall be eligible to civil and military offices, except as otherwise provided by law.
))
and could also prove counterproductive - its main purpose would be to help opportunists to get rid of their rivals. Furthermore - I have my trust in our people - why the hell would any sane person ever give a public office to a republican or to an atheist? Unthinkable.

Defense of the Realm Act: No - It is crucial to maintain order in the realm, but allowing the generals to use "as much force as they deem necessary" is very dangerous. A general could easily deem it necessary to round up and summarily execute an entire village or shell the civilian districts with cannons for a petty reason. Even at the times of emergency some basic rights guaranteed to HM's subjects must be upheld and the military needs to remain under political control.
Government and Economy Act: No - I would comment on why this bill is wrong, but I deem it unnecessary to waste the time of my colleagues in this chamber - any person who has the very basic understanding of economics already knows. The uncertainty for private investors that is being proposed here is scandalous and extremely dangerous. Not to mention the obvious discord between the Statuto, Article 29.
All forms of property without exception are inviolable. However, when legally ascertained public interest requires it, one may be obliged to give up such property wholly or in part, with just compensation and in conformity with the law.
Taxation Reform: Yes - Relieving the private industries of the tax burden will, in the end, allow the national economy to grow.
1859 Budget: Abstain - I understand the needs in war and I applaud the initiative to keep the burden of the corporations and industrialists to the minimum, yet I cannot support the budget with taxes at their current height.

Last edited:
((Private - IPMC))

My vote is as follows:

Pay Back the IPMC's Loan:Aye
Partner Suspension Act: Aye

~ Ernesto Granelli
Corporazione Presidente of Il Piedmonte Manifattura Corporazione
President of the Praetorian Party
Leader of the Opposition

Anti Witchcraft Bill: Nay
Religious Protection Act: Nay
Government and Economy Act: Nay
Taxation Reform: Aye
1859 Budget: Nay

[Industrialist]
[No bonus]

~ Ernesto Granelli
Corporazione Presidente of Il Piedmonte Manifattura Corporazione
President of the Praetorian Party
Leader of the Opposition

Anti Witchcraft Bill: No - I do believe that we are in the age of reason, gentlemen. At least most of us.
Religious Protection Act: No - While I agree with the spirit of this bill, I do think that it is contrary to the Statuto Albertino, Article 24
((All subjects of the Kingdom are equal before the law, regardless of their rank or title.
All shall equally enjoy civil and political rights and shall be eligible to civil and military offices, except as otherwise provided by law.
))
and could also prove counterproductive - its main purpose would be to help opportunists to get rid of their rivals. Furthermore - I have my trust in our people - why the hell would any sane person ever give a public office to a republican or to an atheist? Unthinkable.

Defense of the Realm Act: No - It is crucial to maintain order in the realm, but allowing the generals to use "as much force as they deem necessary" is very dangerous. A general could easily deem it necessary to round up and summarily execute an entire village or shell the civilian districts with cannons for a petty reason. Even at the times of emergency some basic rights guaranteed to HM's subjects must be upheld and the military needs to remain under political control.
Government and Economy Act: No - I would comment on why this bill is wrong, but I deem it unnecessary to waste the time of my colleagues in this chamber - any person who has the very basic understanding of economics already knows. The uncertainty for private investors that is being proposed here is scandalous and extremely dangerous. Not to mention the obvious discord between the Statuto, Article 29.
All forms of property without exception are inviolable. However, when legally ascertained public interest requires it, one may be obliged to give up such property wholly or in part, with just compensation and in conformity with the law.
Taxation Reform: Yes - Relieving the private industries of the tax burden will, in the end, allow the national economy to grow.
1859 Budget: Abstain - I understand the needs in war and I applaud the initiative to keep the burden of the corporations and industrialists to the minimum, yet I cannot support the budget with taxes at their current height.
((Don't forget to post class and bonus, you bloody Jacobin! ;)))

Government and Economy Act: Nay
Taxation Reform: Aye
1859 Budget: Nay

[Industrialist]
[Trading in Wine + 20%, Cavalieri Dynasty + 10%]

- Salvatore Cavalieri, Barone di Settimo

((The industrialist list is updated, all numbers are accurate as well.))

Last edited:
((Remedying the mistakes that happened.))

VOTE CHANGE

from (invalid ballot a few posts up)

Anti Witchcraft Bill: No
Religious Protection Act: No
Taxation Reform: Yes
1859 Budget: Abstain

to

Anti Witchcraft Bill: No
Religious Protection Act: No

[Industrialist]
[Autism - 10000% PP (or maybe none)]

((Special thanks to Viola and Somberg.))

A note arrives, smelling of sea salt and blotched in places with what could have been wine or blood, arrives addressed to the Senate and the Privy Council:

My dear sirs,

I am surprised, but no less honoured, to hear of my appointment to the Senate. For many years now, over two decades, since my appointment as Admiral in 1836, I have faithfully served in the Sardinian navy. It is true that since my brief sabbatical to Brazil to assist in their naval reforms that I have been quiet; but I have been no less diligent on that account.

This righteous Crusade against the infidel has not been taxing upon our naval forces especially, but the challenge of troop transports and keeping the coasts and seas safe for our fighting men has been a worthy one. It is one at which I hope to continue.

-- J. I. Joaquim,
Admiral and Commander of the Army of the Sea
Senator of the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont

Meanwhile, the Senator deputises a proxy for while he is 'on tour' and casts the following votes therefore:

Anti-Witchcraft Act: AYE
Religious Protection Act: AYE
Defense of the Realm Act: AYE

and registering an abstention for all others.

[Militarist]
[Senator: 25% PP]

Hello. I am Signore Bagnoli’s defendant, Bruno Fontana. I will be presenting a case for his defense. He pleads innocent to the charges of High Treason, Conspiracy to Overthrow the Government, and Lese-majesty.

There is no evidence to support the claim that Signore Bagnoli conspired to overthrow the government. A conspiracy is “a plan to commit illegal act together; a secret plan or agreement between two or more people to commit an illegal or subversive act.” The evidence provided has nothing to prove that Signore Bagnoli participated in a conspiracy to overthrow the government at all. Signore Bagnoli has not made a statement public or private which refers to a conspiracy. I present evidence to back up my position with this quote regarding riots in Genoa – “I also will address the riots in Genoa. I do not condone or wish violence onto the innocent people. They have done nothing to deserve such ill treatment. I am not a mindless demagogue. “This quote shows that he does not even condone the actions of the aforementioned Jacobin conspiracy in Genoa. Thus you must relieve him of this erroneous claim.

I shall address the 1st Statement of His Grace Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d’Alatriste-Enghien – “ It is in this pamphlet that the forementioned Sig. Antonio Bagnoli is calling His Majesty the King a "tyrant" and inciting revolutionary hatred and violence."
”. I refute the claims presented as they are based on a false notion of rebellion. Bagnoli says “Matthew 5:5 states,” Blessed are for the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” The Tyrant of Turin is neither meek nor gentle.
The Tyrant of Turin is neither gentle nor meek.” There is no evidence that shows that Signore Bagnoli was referring to the King in his statement. Signore Bagnoli has limited capacity of knowledge regarding geography and may have mistaken Turin for another city. I must return to my point that there is no evidence to support the claim that Signore Bagnoli was referring to the King when he said “Tyrant in Turin”. Even if he was referring to the king, which he was not, he was only observing that the “Tyrant in Turin,” was “neither meek nor gentle”. This observation would not violate His Majesty at all if he was referring to His Majesty at all.

Moving forward I shall respond to the claim that Signore Bagnoli was “inciting revolutionary hatred and violence.” I shall once again refer to a quote of Signore Bagnoli’s regarding the riots in Genoa, “I also will address the riots in Genoa. I do not condone or wish violence onto the innocent people. They have done nothing to deserve such ill treatment. I am not a mindless demagogue.” This refutes the claim that he is encouraging and/or inciting violence. Another quote regarding the volient Reign of Terror in France, “The Reign of Terror is nothing I wish to repeat.” I must further reply to the claim of Signore Bagnoli “inciting revolutionary hatred” with once again reassuring the Tribunal that when Bagnoli talks about or mentions a “Tyrant”, “Tyrants”, or a “Tyrannical regime”, there is no proof, evidence, or claims from Signore Bagnoli directly that shows that Signore Bagnoli is referring to the King or the Kingdom when he talks about “Tyrants.”

I shall respond to the 2nd statement of the Deputy Prime Minister – “Here Sig. Bagnoli is questioning His Majesty’s Divine Right to lead and governing our Fatherland.” Here Signore Bagnoli says “The King “claims” to have divine rule.” This is a true statement which has evidence to support it. Bagnoli then says, “But no sensible God would let his people be ruled by Tyrant.” This is also correct. Luckily tough, we have a sensible God and would not let a “Tyrant” rule over his people. Signore Bagnoli does not make any direct statement confirming the connection between “King” and “Tyrant.” He does not pose any question regarding the King’s divine right to rule in the statement provided by the Deputy Prime Minister. I must present this quote from Signore Bagnoli later on in the statement – “I agree that the Tyrant in Turin is destroying this democracy using bomb throwers as justification. I do not wish violence. I wish for a peaceful transition to the most free nation on earth.” Once again there is no evidence to confirm the connection between “Tyrant in Turin” and the “King”. Bagnoli also asks for peace, another sign that he did not encourage revolutionary violence. He also wishes for a “peaceful transition to the most free nation on earth.” This is a position that most Moderate conservatives and liberals would take up. He does not specify how long this transition will take. This proofs that he doesn’t want a hasty revolution in the country, but a peaceful and gradual period of reforming. I can prove this call for gradual reform with some old voting ballots of Signore Bagnoli if the Tribunal wishes so.

In response to the Deputy Prime Minister’s 3rd statement – “Here, Sig. Bagnoli again personally his majesty the King.” Sig. Bagnoli states “The king is probably reading this right now, laughing his fat belly off while a starving servant cleans his dishes.” The keyword here is “probably”. Sig. Bagnoli said probably and therefore did not imply that he certainly thought without a doubt that the King was doing the aforementioned action. A statement like that is also so ridiculous that it is obviously a joke. Signore Bagnoli only wishes to protect His Majesty. His attempts at protection can be seen through his recently proposed bill “Anti-Witchcraft Bill.” He comments on the bill saying, “I present this bill after several concerns over the enormous threat that witches pose the Kingdom and its people. I hope that we can rid the Kingdom of this horrid danger.” This proves that Signore Bagnoli does not wish or encourage revolutionary violence, but instead wishes for peace and prosperity.

In response to the final statement of the Deputy Prime Minister – “…And finally another pamphlet inciting revolutionary violence against His Majesty King of the Fatherland.” I have already responded to the baseless allegations of encouraging or inciting violence. I must also add a qutoe directly from the aforementioned pamphlet, “The wishes of the Aristocracy, an “elite” few, will decide what is best for the whole of Sardinia.” This can be seen as a compliment to the Aristocracy and His Majesty.

With that I hope that we can settle this petty dispute once-and-for-all. I now turn it over to the prosecutor for his response.

((So I was recently asked if a lawyer counts as a secondary character for reasons that are probably obvious to any following the Bagnoli trial-

Lawyers are secondary characters but are also basically necessary in a courtroom (and if you can't write for them who can)? So I've decided to create an exception for lawyers as follows:

You may use lawyers in a courtroom situation but you will be held accountable for anything they say as if your character had said it himself. This is extended to legal documents, briefs, etc.

You can't use this exception if you're not actually part of a legal case - ie: you can't have your lawyer read out a speech for you in the town square.))

((Bit late; but I am indeed alive))

Major General Napoleone d'Auria was sitting at his table, sipping some tea and reading a letter from his sister Eugenia regarding of one of her children, when one his aides knocked; d'Auria bade him in and was handed a letter.

With the resignation of my second in command, Viscount Collegno, who I want to thank for his years of loyal service to His Majesty and the Kingdom as Officer in His Majesty's Army and Deputy Chief of General Staff, the positions of Deputy Chief of General Staff, Tenente Generale of War-Time Corps II, Maggior Generale of Nizza have been emptied. I hereby promote one the most experiencest men of the General Staff and a loyal man, Maggior Generale Napoleone d'Auria, to the position of Deputy Chief of General Staff and Tenente Generale of War-Time Corps II. I hereby promote Stefano Bonarreti to Maggior Generale of Nizza and Maggior Generale of War-Time Corps III. Finally, I hereby promote Giovanni D'Ambrosia to Maggior Generale of Sardegna. You are dismissed.

Generale d'Esercito Raffaele G. N. V. M. Alighieri,
22nd Viscount of Saint Hubertus,His Majesty's Chief of General Staff,
Lord Grand Master of the Order of Saint Hubertus,
CML CS OSSP CG CEE CJ KM MGC

D'Auria was, in truth, pleasantly surprised; he had long since resigned himself to remaining commander of the Third Corps – it seemed the natural place for an officer who declined to enter into the political fray as some did. Regardless, d'Auria felt compelled to write a reply.

To Generale d'Esercito Raffaele G. N. V. M. Alighieri, 22nd Viscount of Saint Hubertus,His Majesty's Chief of General Staff, Lord Grand Master of the Order of Saint Hubertus, CML CS OSSP CG CEE CJ KM MGC;

Sir, I wish to thank you for this promotion, and will fulfill your orders and maintain the King's peace to the utmost of my ability; I will leave for Egypt on the morrow.

Lieutenant General Napoleone d'Auria, Deputy Chief of General Staff and Commander of II. Corps

((II Corps will be spending its time in Egypt POLICING, if a war army can do that.))

Also, d'Auria abstains from all votes.

[Militarist]
[No Bonuses, but many promotions]

Anti-Witchcraft Bill: No
Defense Of The Realm Act: Abstain
Government and Economy Act: No

[Industrialist]
[Man of Many Titles +0% PP]

- Marco Moretti, Provisional President of Societa Hermes, Ambassador of Great Britain and Ireland, Shadow Minister of Regional Development, Owner of Turin Times, and Co-Owner of Casino di Cajetan

((II Corps will be spending its time in Egypt POLICING, if a war army can do that.))

((It can't. It's too busy fighting.

EDIT: Even if weren't wartime, you could set a posture unless it were you own military district - ie: only one posture per district and you can only set the posture of your own.))

No time for policing. Occupation must be swift and undulated.