• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's my Byzantium through 1691 (1399 start):

byzantium1439.jpg

byzantium1500.jpg

byzantium1600.jpg

byzantiumempiremap1691.jpg

byzantiummap1691.jpg

I'm gearing up for a push west, starting with Spain, having taken Unam Sanctum as my last NI. That will allow me to finally finish my mission to conquer Sicily after about 150 years, as I recently took England's half, plus Malta in a recent war. :p

My Vassals are Bosnia, Persia, Oman, Adal, and Modena. Bosnia I will probably diplo-annex soon. Persia, Oman, and Adal are all "manufactured" vassals, and converted to Orthodox. Persia is, by itself, a top 10 economy and fields an army of over 40 regiments. Oman is a top 20 economy. Modena I picked up in my war with England. I had planned on annexing them until I discovered that they owned the Azores and several American colonies.

It was awesome having quality vassal armies in my recent war against Georgia and Austria. (It was Georgia who declared war on me - how stupid was that?) It was nice seeing them swoop in to do the dirty work of besieging cities and cleaning up straggler regiments while I chased down the main armies. Persia probably could have defeated Georgia without any help from me. It was even more amusing seeing Adal besieging Wien.

Muscowy/Russia has been my friend and sometimes ally for most of the game. We tag teamed the Golden Horde early on, and after turning south to take on the Timurids I made peace with the GH to let the Russians have at em, and they made the most of it. :) They hit a major snag in the early 1600s when their army was decimated and most of the country went into revolt, but they were able to survive it and reclaim most of the lost provinces. I was able to claim most of their Middle East provinces thanks to the revolters.

France was the major power of the 16th century. I had several wars with them in the early-mid 1500s that I was only able to survive due to my ability to destroy their Navy. Their army would have shredded mine. As it was, I was able to take two of their provinces in Naples and free a couple of Italian OPMs from their grasp. Starting around 1600, France started to suddenly disintegrate leaving the area a mess of minors within 25 years. Vijayanagar seems to be doing the same thing at the moment after controlling most of India.

I was in a precarious position in the 1500s due to lagging tech compared to the West. Fortunately, neither Austria nor Castille/Spain showed any interest in attacking me. I was able to complete Westernization in the 1540s - fortunately my Emperor with 8 ADM held on long enough (he ruled for 41 years.) But he didn't last long enough for me to modernize, and 56 years of rulers with 3 ADM followed. That not only prevented my from upgrading my army, but also crippled me expansion-wise as the low ADM pushed me above the 'Overextension' modifier limit for a brief time, even after my planned release of Persia. I was finally able to Modernize in 1614.

Last edited:
I'm gearing up for a push west, starting with Spain, having taken Unam Sanctum as my last NI. That will allow me to finally finish my mission to conquer Sicily after about 150 years, as I recently took England's half, plus Malta in a recent war.
Just a heads-up, your Unam Santum won't do you much good past 1650 (no more holy wars), so better hurry up with those conquests. I'd suggest becoming an Absolute Monarchy (or Republican Dictatorship) quickly for the Imperialism CB if you intend on waring a lot for no real good reason.

Just a heads-up, your Unam Santum won't do you much good past 1650 (no more holy wars), so better hurry up with those conquests. I'd suggest becoming an Absolute Monarchy (or Republican Dictatorship) quickly for the Imperialism CB if you intend on waring a lot for no real good reason.

As it's 1691, the Muslim/Christian Holy Wars are already over with. Unam Sanctam works just fine, however, and there are plenty of non-Orthodox Christians to attack in Europe. ;)

I have my eye on India, too. Not coincidentally, Spain has a pair of provinces there sitting right next to the two I took from England... Of course, the real allure of going west is in reforging the Roman Empire, which kind of goes hand in hand with playing Byzantium.

Here's my Byzantium through 1691 (1399 start):

If ugly borders were a crime...

...no wait, they are.

To the gallows with you!

My Teutonic Order -> Prussia game, it is 1571

50388077490441162839.png

I hate so much the unlawful territory event. I always kept my BB low (below 15) and still those stabs hits made me almost crash so many times, specially with all my neighbours jumping on me. I inherited a Low Countries dominating Gelre, without even getting a PU! The 4 provinces I need for Germany are owned by... 4 countries, and are their capitals, so massive BB is waiting for me.

The Iberian peninsula is just beautiful :p. Great Britain never forgot the title claim on France and is advancing. Maybe I should help France *fear* (actually they proposed some years ago and I accepted, but when I dowed HRE crashing Bohemia they didn't want to). With the exception of Aragonese West Africa, the natives are really destroying the colonies in the americas, badass Iroquois and Tupi (this needs to be worked better...), and Creek are advancing to the Great Plains. At least the Caribbean exist for the europeans!

Mutapa is like the biggest empire in African history I guess, so massive (not that it matters for europeans). Vijayanagar looks like it's forming Hindustan in a perfect way: look the borders in Pakistan, they are even getting the borders correctly! Ottomans conquered Egypt and Tripolitania, amazingly historical, Hi5 Ottomans!

Austria and Scotland are shitacularily dumb in your Byzantine game :p

One of Austria or Bohemia is usually shitacularly dumb in just about every game, nothing unusual there. :) Scotland was dead until just a few years ago when I forced England to release them. That's Castille invading the British Isles, aside from the northern tip in 1439.

I'll admit that I had planned to stop at Astrakhan and leave my northern border nice and smooth. Then I saw the pretty gold mine and was like "Oooh, must haz!" That explains the ugly bulb to the north messing up Russia's borders. ;) Georgia will be swallowed up soon enough. That big gap in the middle of my empire was bugging the hell out of me for the longest time.

@Camara, how about some SHIFT + F12 screenies?

Here. It is not impressive at all, but I don't play for massive super conquest, I like to keep the BB low. But as I said this was hard, the evil unlawful territory event even forced me to take Church Attendance Duty.

My vassals are Cologne, Pommerania, Mazonia (which I was kind enough to give them some provinces in peace deals as they deserved it), Polotsk, Silesia and Moscow (Moscow was originally an ally but collapsed and entered in a war vs me so I vassalised them. Thank god it works as a buffer state and the Golden Horde leaves us at peace). I had also Pskov and Ukraine as vassals, but russian rebels took Pskov and gave it to Novgorod and I was forced to liberate Ukraine when I was at -3 stab with everyone dowing me.

44529404447930263490.png

What is with all of these Byzantine empires? Sheesh. I wish I could post my Riga empire:p But my F buttons don't really work.