• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yea, its the UK in Ukraine. UK, Austria, and I all took a bite out of Russia in the same war.

and yes that is a French/German Denmark

and also a Dutch/French Peleponese.

All countries are civilized except i think 1 or 2 of the Indian UK satellite nations, Like Orissa and another one.

Actually I forgot to mention that Russia did so bad that there has been a global shortage of wood for basically the entire game. Forts sometimes take a decade or more to complete depending on where they are because of wood shortages. Some railroad cost spiked up into the millions, waiting on wood. I had to sphere Brazil in the last stage of the game to be able to complete my top level railroads, and forts.

Very nice Japan! It looks like you worked hard at trying to recreate with a good deal of accuracy the borders of Japan circa 1942.

I've tried playing Japan a couple times. I've been patient enough to westernize, but could you give me any strategy tips? Like, do you remember how you managed to acquire all of that? Was it sheer luck of certain nations not being allied/sphered, or was there a particular strategy of expansion you were going for?

Thank you! I never planned to make it look exactly like 1942 but I definately had that map in mind. Some conquests like African Madagaskar and Tibet I was abit hesitant about if I should keep or release but I needed a base close to Africa when I fought the French colonies in Africa and Tibet as my door to India (What I didnt realise then is that the world largest mountain chain is blocking the way from Tibet to India :p)

Regarding strategy I should probably say that I played the APD mod, although Im pretty sure it would have turn out similary with vanilla. In the beginning I focused on getting westernized quickly by promoting clergy and getting up my Literacy. I also didnt conquer anything before I civilized; That way I could keep a high avg lit in my country. When Civilized I started research culture tech and started to conquer the small nations in Asia that had no alliances. After that I managed to get an alliance with Russia, we both attacked China, UK didnt answer their call for China - China got beat. And from there on it was quite easy actually. China on itself is really easy to beat, lots of soldiers but no variety in unit type and useless army tech. So slowly but surely I kept taking a few regions from China in every war I could until I could make them a puppet. While I did that I researched army/navy tech and had max spending on military so I could eventually beat Great Britain and France with both Man power and tech advantage.

In APD Japan has a great economy, much help to their gold mines, if you add that with a huge population and if you manage to catch up in the tech race you are pretty much unstoppable at the end.

First off, this is probably going to sound unbelievable considering there was major drama in the beginning of this thread concerning another guy who achieved Greater Germany by 1844, but I will try to explain, in detail, how I did this, so others can try (unless there's already some major discussion on how to do this quickly in some other thread):

grge.jpg

grge2.jpg

About the image where Austria is still in fog of war, I had literally just initiated Three Hurrahs. Until one day goes by, fog of war still exists in the former Austrian Empire (oddly enough, this usually happens to me when I play as a released nation). I demobilized since I ended the war and achieved Greater Germany, so that picture isn't as impressive in troop count as it could be.

I was inspired by the guy who posted his Greater Germany in 1844. I discussed that, at length, with the guy who introduced me to Victoria 2. Although we were both extremely skeptical, and we thought the guy *had to* have been cheating, I think we came to the conclusion that it might be possible by 1850 or so. So, last night I decided to give this a try. I did not cheat, nor did I ever abuse the save-reload feature. My game difficulty has been "normal" mode.

To begin with: a lot of this had to do with diplo luck; at the beginning of the game, I sent out alliance proposals to Denmark, Russia, and the Ottoman Empire. All were accepted. I hoped they would join my upcoming war with Austria, but at the very least they would be factions not willing to fight me. Can you imagine the sheer horror of not only fighting Austria, but perhaps Russia, or even the Ottomans? The reason I threw an alliance proposal to the Danes was that the strategy to gain Greater Germany involves NOT going to war with Denmark for Schleswig-Holstein. So, on day one I set up my production, mobilization orders, and alliance offers (and I haven't declared war yet). On day two, when they graciously accept, I'm still moving my troops in the eastern half of Prussia towards the Austrian border (in groups of 25,000 or so, which isn't too many), and troops in the west to the border with Baden. On the third day, I finally declare war on Austria. I worried that an immediate declaration of war on day one might make the Ottomans and Russians decline an alliance proposal. I'd also like to note that I've only been playing Victoria 2 for about 2-3 weeks, but I am a long-time fan of strategy games, especially Civilization. So, although V2:AHD has a pretty big learning curve, and although I have a lot to learn about the game, I have gotten a hang for mechanics (the economics stuff in-game is still very complicated), but I suspect I was probably lucky with the alliance accepts (nor did I cheat).

So, with the war actually on, the following day Austria got a major fish slap to the face: the only people coming to her aid are Baden and her Italian spheres. Bavaria and Wurtemburg did not declare war on me (thank god; Bavaria can be an extreme annoyance). Austria took a while to actually get her act together and try to invade me (I sat near the borders waiting for Austrian troops to arrive to adjacent provinces, suffer attrition, and then I'd strike). As a short amount of time went past, I noticed that the Russians and the Ottomans found the prospect of joining my war "impossible", so I didn't bother to ask them. I'd rather them stay allied with me than become potential Austrian allies. I took the time to call my German allies, and Denmark, to war under my banner. They were the first ones to make a move on Austrian soil itself. My strategy at this point was to send out my army groups and leave some brigades behind, mopping up occupation efforts. This is all well and good until a 30-40,000 man Austrian army appears on the horizon, ready to attack your exposed brigades. I had to start adapting and adjusting my tactics and strategies, and what I settled for was collecting my army into three major groups. This of course promotes attrition within the ranks, but the idea in my head was to smash the Austrian armies with my larger army groups. While doing this, I'd try to array a brigade here or there into adjacent provinces. Once I'd win a battle and the bulk of the Austrians, with depleted organization and morale, would try to run off, I'd pursue. I'd keep doing this, leaving men here and there, and pursuing until there was nothing left. Of course this is simplifying everything, but that's essentially what I did. If some of my forces seemed to be at risk of losing a battle, I'd pick up all neighboring troops conducting occupation efforts and send them to the battle zone. This extended the length of the war, and destroyed occupation efforts in a territory, but it meant winning battles and completely destroying the Austrian military. After all, with no hostile military to oppose you, you can spread out and occupy whatever the hell you want.

In the end, having all my German/Danish allies in the war was a pretty big help. Combined, they are like annoying little bees who kept the Austrians distracted. It provided me many ample opportunities to see a pinned-down Austrian army in range of my larger army... and thus gave me more forces to begin pursuing to the death. From time to time I slowed down to regain organization, but the most difficult thing about this war was just being patient and deciding where to move forces exactly. After about 3 years I had all of Austria and her belligerent allies wholly occupied and at my mercy. With "assert hegemony" as my initial cassus belli, I added two wargoals along the way: humiliate, and cut down to size. Combined, they provide a severe punch to the gut for Austria and set it quickly on the path to being downgraded to "secondary" status. This opens up Austria to the potential of being sphered by you once the treaty ends. Although I have no screenshots, I remember the exact date the treaty was to end (I was waiting patiently for this date so I could begin sphering Austria): November 3, 1843. I admit, I was hoping to sphere Austria by 1844 so I could compete with the guy who posted the initial Greater Germany in this thread! =D

With Austria slapped like a twenty-dollar hooker (and her rating around 10, but it would take almost a year for the great power downgrade to actually go into effect), my next target was France. This of course is the scariest part, because unlike France in the real world, France in Victoria 2 can be pretty powerful. They regularly field massive armies that seem to be endless. You can fight battle after battle, and then you notice a whole lot more French army groups coming out of fog of war, like they have cloning facilities or something. Anyways, I started rebuilding my forces (mostly just replenishing and maxing out my military forces) and positioning them near the border with France. Still being a relatively new V2 player, I’ve noticed that cavalry can play a really effective role in pinning down slow-moving hostile armies until your main, equally slow infantry army catches up. I started grouping out my cavalry in preparations for the Holy War.

Also, in the interim, I sphered Luxemburg first, knowing that Luxembourg joins the North German Federation if it’s sphered at the time you activate the event. I sphered Denmark, and then I started sphering Hannover. Sadly, I totally forgot about sphering Holstein itself until I started getting frustrated and pissed off about “why can’t I NGF yet???” Eventually I realized it was because I was stupid and forgot about them, yeah. I then also realized I hadn’t acquired Alsace Lorraine yet… and I felt doubly stupid. Anyways, back to the story.

It really wasn’t terribly long after defeating the Austrians that I went to war with France. They were allied to the Austrians, Swiss, Sardinians, and Papal States, and I honestly wasn’t expecting the Austrians to break our truce and go to war, but they did. I had virtually no forces near their border, but the “cut to size” I imposed on them left them with 0 brigades until the war begin (even after the war began, my war tab section on Austria kept showing 0 brigades for a while). Bavaria started invading Austria, and I think Mecklenburg. They largely contained the 20-odd Austrian brigades that eventually popped into existence. By the time I started this war, I had Two Sicilies in my sphere. I called them, the Danes, and my German allies to war. The Ottomans had UK for an ally, and somehow Greece or the UK got involved in a war with the French a little while after I started my own war, which dragged the British, and Ottomans, into war with France. Sicily mostly handled the Pope’s forces, but the Swiss and Sardinians were pretty annoying. I had hoped that my German allies would keep those two muppets under control, but I ended up having to send one of my large armies to pacify both. My main forces engaged in counter-attacking the French on Prussian soil. True to my strategy in the previous War of Hegemony, I waited for the French to array their forces in my territory, and then I struck, snowballing in size and pursuing them in large army groups. One of their own army groups, perhaps 25,000 men in size, nearly succeeded in occupying one of my forward territories (around 92% occupation progress before I was able to attack that group).

The most annoying thing in the whole war is that the French dropped nearly 30,000 men in Stettin. Near the end of the war, they dropped another 21,000. Back there, they managed to occupy two territories, and they even had an army group in Berlin before I swung forces back to smash them. However, I ignored these feeble attempts. The goal is to utterly destroy France. Pulling out forces necessary to stop an annoying incursion way behind the lines only weakens the forward assault.

Again, defeating France, much like Austria, was not easy. I lost a couple big battles, but I always managed to keep attacking large French groups with even larger Prussian armies. My organization levels on a group or two hit critical a few times, and I’d have to slow down, or even halt. However, I had so many troops in a few clusters that my strategy of clustering, smashing hostile forces, and then pursuing them until they’re whittled down to nothing eventually worked again. Eventually, the French were broken militarily. I had large amounts of France occupied, and I was able to push the French in the Stettin area straight into the sea. I made a separate peace with the Papal States to get them off some territories of mine (Sicily was a bit incompetent after all), but I didn’t bother offering peace to the Swiss, Austrians, or Sardinians even when they kept begging endlessly. When you have such massive army groups (a couple times I combined them into two or even just a single cluster) winning battle after battle by pursuing the French endlessly, you rack up pretty impressive war points simply from battles alone.

My infamy from the War of Hegemony was still pretty high, but I’m pretty sure I demanded humiliation from the French, and nothing else besides Alsace-Lorraine of course (I don’t think I had enough infamy to demand more without going over 25 infamy, and I wasn’t willing to risk that just yet). Once I gained Alsace-Lorraine is when I realized I, again, forgot to sphere Holstein (sigh… I can be dumb sometimes). I also realized after the fact that I didn’t demand to put Austria in my sphere (pretty sure they downgraded to secondary power during the war; I wasn’t closely monitoring them, but once the war ended, they weren’t great power), but I think my infamy would’ve surpassed 25 and I really didn’t want to piss off my neighbors (Netherlands conquered Belgium and allied Russia/UK). The Holy War with France ended sometime in 1840/1841 since I managed to get Greater Germany by August 31, 1846. I eventually sphered Holstein and activated the North German Federation.

In the meantime, France declared war on me regain Alsace-Lorraine. At the end of the First War of Never Learning Our Lesson, I made them accept my demand to free Castille. It wasn’t a year later that they again went to war with me for Alsace-Lorraine. (About a year after I achieved Greater Germany, they declared war on me a second time for Alsace-Lorraine. As a condition to end the Second War of Never Learning Our Lesson, I made them give French Algeria to the native Algerians. I don’t like the French in North Africa: they always seem to have 50-100,000 troops stationed there, and I find that offensive. The Algerians do not need to be burdened with eating smelly cheese when they could feast on delicious sausages and sauerkraut, because one day, I promise, they will be. They will have our sausages. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR18hGBMhWM)

That first time they declared war on me was literally as I was about to reach sphere status with Austria. Since you can’t activate “Three Hurrahs” until you’re at peace… this was extremely annoying.

Anyways, this is how I achieved Greater Germany by 1846. I could’ve reached it earlier, but 1846 was awesome enough. I hope this was an amusing read and that others will want to try doing this, too. It’s a challenge, but it’s fun if you play your cards right!

Last edited:
Good work. :) Myself I find it way easier to do this with Austria, they are richer and it's easier to occupy Prussia than Austria... Whether you do it in 1844 or a bit later is pure luck, and not relevant to the final 1935 outcome.

Is1bv.jpg

Congradulation, delra & Honads,
Inspired by mbrasher1 Blood and Iron AAR, http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Blood-and-Iron-A-Fast-Road-to-Greater-Germany, I was experimenting how to form Greater Germany before 1840.

It can be done.
The tricks are:
1. During the first war with Austria, only asset hegemony and humiliation, nothing else. If you are lucky, you can even get out of it infamy free, because justifying for humiliation is fast and cheap.
2. As Hanads had mentioned, diplomacy plays a big part of it. On day 1, actually it is better to ally UK, France, Russia & Ottoman. Why? Because they are GPs, once allied with you, they will not have slot left to ally with another GP, I think. I could be wrong on this though.
3. Keep the war with Austria short, preferablely within 6 months.
4. Once you had peace out Austria, immediately break alliance with France.
5. France will then most likely ally with Austria after you break your alliance with them.
7. Then you can war France together with Austria again (while they are still GP, free assert hegemony again).

If you do it right, you can form Greater Germany earliest at 1838-39 or so. Give it a try.

Another risky manoeuvres is to break infamy during your war with France by demanding her oversea colonies, especially those it Africa, Maurities, and India. And then immediately release those part of Austria that you don't want after the war. This will give you global projection of power post war.

I did it faster. 1842 or 43. Stop acting like forming Greater Germany very fast is an achievment.

Edit: And good job writing an essay no ones going to read. Seriously it's that easy:

1) Attack Austria Day 1, assert hegemony + acquire Bohemia, peace after 1-2 years
2) Attack Denmark on Day 1, take German cores
3) Start sphereing Hannover at day 1
4) Attack France once Austria and Denmark are down
5) Wait for truces to run out and attack Austria and sphere Holstein

No need to write that much, seriously.

Last edited:
kc19qo.jpg

25iox3n.jpg

2vufvow.jpg

My Portuguese game with the NNM mod. I was technically a democracy, however for some reason the flag didn't change to the republican one which seriously pissed me of.

Loved this scramble for Africa, everyone got a piece, besides the African colonies and the Portuguese starting possessions I have Formosa and the Panama canal.

Also as you have noticed Germany is a mess, Russia, France and Austria ganged up on them in 1916 and broke it into pieces, rebels did the rest.

Was 5th great power during a lot of time however in the year the game ended I fell into the 7th place.

I did it faster. 1842 or 43. Stop acting like forming Greater Germany very fast is an achievment.

Edit: And good job writing an essay no ones going to read. Seriously it's that easy:

1) Attack Austria Day 1, assert hegemony + acquire Bohemia, peace after 1-2 years

I prefer to add Holstein to sphere first and then attack Denmark.

kc19qo.jpg

25iox3n.jpg

2vufvow.jpg

My Portuguese game with the NNM mod. I was technically a democracy, however for some reason the flag didn't change to the republican one which seriously pissed me of.

Loved this scramble for Africa, everyone got a piece, besides the African colonies and the Portuguese starting possessions I have Formosa and the Panama canal.

Also as you have noticed Germany is a mess, Russia, France and Austria ganged up on them in 1916 and broke it into pieces, rebels did the rest.

Was 5th great power during a lot of time however in the year the game ended I fell into the 7th place.

What happened to the UK? How did they lost almost all of their colonies besides India?

What happened to the UK? How did they lost almost all of their colonies besides India?

NNM has an event chain where they turn their colonies into dominions.

Wow.
Just wow.

All I can say is... Grow up. lol

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

I'm sorry you didn't like my post, but what you posted was extremely rude and totally unnecessary. I was sharing my insights into forming Greater Germany. I considered starting a new thread for other people to post stories, commentaries, posts about forming Greater Germany due to the fact Prussia/Germany is a very popular nation to play as.

I wrote that post because I enjoyed my game, and I also wanted to share details with my friend, who introduced me to Victoria 2, so he could try Greater Germany too.

Do you usually post in people's AARs and narratives of playing nations and tell them that they're dumb and stupid?