• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(147852)

Sergeant
1 Badges
Aug 1, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
Here's a refreshing thread for anyone worn out by all the negativity: Anyone else really digging the game? I am, very much.

Yes, the interface needs some work, but it sounds like it's getting a lot of the work it needs. Other than that, it looks great, it sounds great (that musical score is about the best I've heard in a game lately), and it's definitely one of those "look up at the clock and can't believe how late it is" games.

If the economic model is simplified, I for one am happy about it, because for me, it helps the game move along. I totally understand people wanting a more detailed trading model, but to me this game strikes a nice balance for those that want a little meat to their trading, but aren't really prepared to dedicate big chunks of their life to analysis.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I'm really enjoying it. (And I know it's not just me, because other than this forum, the reviews around the net seem pretty positive, with their main complaint having already been largely addressed by the option of removing the port loading screen.)

It's even made me interested in learning more about the history of the EIC. I figure if a game makes you go buy a book about the subject, it's pretty engaging.

Which book have you bought?:)

You gotta wonder about a game that has people posting threads that are *positive* as a "refreshing change". :eek:

I hope they do patch it into a better game, it was a great concept. I'm not sure how much it will help. Word of mouth on game launches spreads pretty quickly, you only get one chance to launch before the game's buzz hits the streets. But I'll wait and see. I have to, I already bought it. :rofl:

I like it a lot at the moment! Find it has a nice leisurely pace so it gives you time to plan stuff and check on existing setups. My head just gets overwhelmed with mega-complex games so this is just about the right detail for me. Certainly a few interface foibles but they only stand out because it jars the fun I'm otherwise having and I'm sure this will be refined soon!

Reserve judgement on how long-term it is but so far it's just what I was looking for but not found for a long time - a lengthy but not unfathomable ongoing game that I could get my teeth into. Tried the X-3 series and it's just far to steep learning curve to get into as much as I'd like to. E:TW a bit too much on the fighting. POTBS too expensive every month.

Anyway I can see myself playing this for some time to come :D

i think the company has made the right response. As long as there is follow through and ongoing dev-user base interaction.

Start with the easy UI changes and new screens , fix the most pressing bugs in combat and then go after the more complex stuff once u get going

You gotta wonder about a game that has people posting threads that are *positive* as a "refreshing change".

Or you realize that the most vocal group, especially on the developer's or publisher's forum, is always going to be the one with the problems and complaints. Particularly with computer games, which for some reason seem to garner more than their fair share of frothing-at-the-mouth unhappy customers.

I need to pipe in on this also...loving it and hope that the devs continue to evolve the game along a number of the lines of suggestions being offered.

I too long for a little more depth in trading, but would like an interface that gives more info without requiring me to dig so deep to find the statistics that it ruins the flow of the game. Not sure how they can do this, or if they can, but hope so.

Also to see the combat simulation side evolve also....which is what piqued my interest in the first place...getting hooked on the trading/economic aspect came later.

But...bravo devs! You have given me a lot of enjoyment so far.

The best description I have read of the game was "railroad tycoon with ships and warfare". This is exactly it. My initial reaction was negative because I was looking for something along the lines of the Patrician series. But the game is indeed more about effective logistics like the railroad tycoon games, with the added twists of warfare. Once I realized where my focus should be, I started to have much more fun with the game.

You gotta wonder about a game that has people posting threads that are *positive* as a "refreshing change". :eek:

Probably because you came here expecting some other stuff. I "pre-ordered" the game on July 30th, as soon as I read some reviews, just to be sure what I was going to get. If I didn't like what I was reading I wouldn't have bought the game. It can be improved, yes, every game can be improved. But I don't find the design as bad as some of you do. I don't buy an RPG if I see there is not a good "choice and consequence" system, because that's what I want. If some kind of addon or mod adds something that I like I might consider buying.

Probably though all the complaining could lead to some content-laden DLC, so it's not all bad. It's just the "tongue-in-cheek" or completely rude attitude that some posts have that is useless.

The best description I have read of the game was "railroad tycoon with ships and warfare". This is exactly it. My initial reaction was negative because I was looking for something along the lines of the Patrician series. But the game is indeed more about effective logistics like the railroad tycoon games, with the added twists of warfare. Once I realized where my focus should be, I started to have much more fun with the game.

See? Expectations, that's what f**ks up the world! :)

BTW, I'm happy for you, sir.