• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(9094)

Sergeant
Apr 29, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys,
I was reading this forum for a long time, learning a lot from your AARs about the game itself. Now, after finally upgrading my comp, I can finally play myself, so I think it is only fair if I provide you with some sort of AAR about my first game. Unfortunately the idea of doing AAR came up when I was well in the game (actually it was when I annected Sibir and I thought some of you may be interested how this happened LOL) so first 60 years wont be detailed, but I try to give you generall impresssion what was going on.
I play IGC, my goal is to bring Holy Land back to Christian possesion.

1492 - 1558 YEARS OF EXPANSION AND BUILDING

Poland is a catholic kingdom and as such we cannot bear the fact the Holy Land is not under Christian control. We will fight to get it back, but for this we need our country to be the strongest nation in the world. So the plan is simple - expand in easy way first and do the hard job later on.
We start with huge land, big army and weak economy. Maintaining such a big army costs too much, so we want to decrease their size. We think the best way to achieve it is to send them to fight. So our first decissions are to ally with Moldavia (I have polish version of the game, so some names may differ from english versions) and DOW Zakon Krzyzacki (Teutonic Order). Both our and theirs allies (Prusy or Prussia in you version) join the fun. Prusy is our vassal so cowards must be punished. We annected Prusy first and take Kurland (COT) from Teutons in peace treaty.
Next on the list is Rosja (Russia). We wait couple of years, time of peace being used to upgrade our economy (promoting taxmen and judges) and our defense (upgrading fortifications).
Meantime Rosja annected Kazan.
Next three decades were filled with wars against Rosja and her allies (Pskov and Danes, latter always joined the war but never send any troops). Around 1530 Rosja is down to four provinces (Moscow,Tula, Far Karelia and Kola), Pskov and Ryazan have been added to our realm as well.
Last war was very interesting, to say at least. Half of Europe DOWed us and some asian countries as well. Poland with her faithfull ally (vassal later on) Moldavia stood against coalition of few coalitions : Rosja, Szwecja (Sweden), Dania(Danmark), Holsztyn, Pomorze, Hansa, Brandenburgia, TO, Czechy, Saksonia, Turcja, Persja (btw Persja is Turkeys ally), Golden Hordes and some minors I cant remember now. We concentrated on bribing leaders from coalitions we werent interested in fighting, and fought countries we wanted lands from. So we bribed Brandenburgers giving them province of Western Prussia, Turkey received Besarabia and these were the only provinces we had to give up. Others took money in peace negotiations. At the end we were fighting Czechs and their ally Saxony and Golden Horde ( Rosja already ceded some land to us). War ended with annexation of Golden Horde and we also took Silesia from Czechs. IIRC this series of wars lasted some 10 years. We recovered for few years, laying low just not to piss off anybody again and suddenly Astrachan together with Sibir DOWed us. We added both to our realm, which opened the way to the east. We changed religion to counterreformed, thus giving us finally one settler a year.
Now we are in the year 1558 and wondering what to do next.

OT two things I need some help about
First : is there any point of building breweries in provinces without sugar or wine ?
Second : with limited amount of settlers shall I go for more colonies (but weak) or is it better to build a colony to city and then go for another one ?

All kind of feedback and comments are appreciated
regards
Czerpak
King of Poland, Great Prince of Lithuania, Prince of Pskov and Ryazan, Prince of Prusy, Shah of Astrachan, Golden Horde and Sibir

Excelent start! It is wonderfull to see a new player with a new AAR.

Hmm, those are interesting questions though. Im going to let someone else answer, its been a while for me.

czerpak said:
OT two things I need some help about
First : is there any point of building breweries in provinces without sugar or wine ?
Second : with limited amount of settlers shall I go for more colonies (but weak) or is it better to build a colony to city and then go for another one ?

First thing, welcome to EUI! :D

As to your questions, breweries is obviously better on sugar and wine areas but I find that their bonus to research is mainly why I want them so I build them in grain and sheep areas as well. I don't remember if they give a bonus to trade efficiency in EUI but if they do that's another good reason to build them. :)

As for colonizing, I tend to build one colony to city size first so I can build troops overseas and then I'll try to paint as much territory as I can around it and along coastlines as I can with just a trade post or a single colonist. It's important to try to block those other colonial powers. :) When you can, try to build a shipyard as this will give an additional colonist per year.

Your story looks good so far, and welcome to the EU community. Braedonnal's already answered most of your questions, but I second the opinion that refineries are good investments. If outside sugar/wine provinces, they add 6 ducats to a province's yearly income (as opposed to 12 in sugar/wine provs) and each refinery also gives +5/month to your investment in trade tech, which is a very nice addition. I generally try to build manufactories for correct province types, but playing as P-L most of your lands will be grain/wool, which don't give a manufactory bonus to anything (I guess the Paradox people don't drink grain alcohol ;) )

20 peacefull years & second BB war

Thanx for your feedback, good this forum is still alive.

Period to the year 1575 was a time of investing into our kingdom. All provinces received max fortifications (lev2), taxmen and judges. We usually maintain monopoly in Danzig, Kurland, Moscow and Mascate, with strong presence in Tago and Isfahan as well.

We have 3 colonies (Arkhangelsk lev4, Alga lev1 and Ichim lev1)

1573 Infrastructure reaches level 5, so we apoint 10 governors to put inflation down to 0

1574 Henryk Walezy raises to polish throne, another idiot we have to live with.
Landtech is up to 9.

1575 World alliances :
Denmark, Holsztyn, Sweden, Rosja
Pommern, TO & Hansa
Persia, Turkey, Georgia & Netherlands
England, Brandenburg, Saxony, Hessen & Scotland
Mammeluks, Hidzaz, France (LOL) & Nubia
Spain, Palatynat, Modena, Irokes, Austria & Baden
Portugal, Irland, Navarra, Hyderabad, Oman & Tunis
Venice, Hungary & Bavaria
Genua & Sabaudia
Turingen, Czechs & Wintenberg
Algeria, Aden & Marocco
China & Da-Viet
Watykan(Papacy) & Toscany
Poland & Moldova

We invest 25 gold into relations with Moldova, our faitfull ally and vassal.

1576 Stefan Batory raises to polish throne - finally good monarch !
King reforms our army ( +666 gold into landtech)
Rudolf II from Austria elected HRE.

1577 We fail to establish colony in Aralsk.
Another army reform (+667).
We gradually improve our relations with Moldova ( 100, 25 and 25 gold this year)

1578 English alliance goes to war against Irland and her allies.
We invest another 25 g into Moldava and diploannex them month later.
We further improve Arkhangelsk colony.

Victory points in 1578 : Poland 1554, Spain 1238, France 786, Austria 739, Turkey 650, England 473, China 351.

1579 Invest 25g into relations with Hungary.
We finally found a city in Arkhangelsk and immediately build fortress there.

25 gold goes to Hungary
Filipe III raises to prtugeese throne.
We again fail to establish colony in Aralsk.
Invest another 25g into Hungary.

Trading company is founded, we get 200 gold.
Another 25g goes to Magyars.
Ichim colony improves to lev2.
We cant let our King waste his talents so we DOW Uzbekistan.
Almost all reformed Europe joins the fun :
Sweden (+Denmark) DOWs us, followed by Czechs, TO and Rosja.

More about that looong war in next post.
Please let me know what do you think about the way I am developing my kingdom and what do you recommend for the future.

Czerpak

Sounds like you have been a badboy with all the wars springing up when you decide to attack someone. :D There are two things you can do, either go on a mad rampage throughout the world or you can settle in for a more peaceful game.

A screenshot with a map would help out alot with figuring out where you are at though it seems you are pushing for the Siberian Corridor which is a favorite of mine (I've played T.O. a couple times doing just that). There are a couple gold mines locked in there which are always nice to have. :) Then again, it could be fun to unleash the Cossacks upon Central Europe. :rofl:

First off, what's up the Ottomans? The Mamluks still running around in 1575 and Turkey allied with Persia and Georgia :eek: ? That's gotta be the most peaceful OE I've ever seen. Taking the Uzbeks is a good idea, particularly as it will open up routes to the enormously wealthy lands of Persia and India. regarding your colonies in Siberia, it might to be cheapers just to put TPs in places like Alga that produce low-value goods like wool and grain. Save your cash for building cities in provinces with high-value resources, Siberia got's some gold mines (Buriat and Angara, maybe there's a third in there too) and lots of provinces that produce fur. Regarding fortresses, I often leave cities deep in my colonial hinterland unfortified, as invaders are extremely unlikely to ever get there. Archanglesk would be a good place to fortify if Sweden and Russia are still close-by. Oh, and keep up the good work, Poland seems to be developing nicely.

You annexed Sibir??? Nooooo!!!!

Nice start though, and as has been said before, welcome to the forum!

Braedonnal said:
Sounds like you have been a badboy with all the wars springing up when you decide to attack someone. :D There are two things you can do, either go on a mad rampage throughout the world or you can settle in for a more peaceful game.

A screenshot with a map would help out alot with figuring out where you are at though it seems you are pushing for the Siberian Corridor which is a favorite of mine (I've played T.O. a couple times doing just that). There are a couple gold mines locked in there which are always nice to have. :) Then again, it could be fun to unleash the Cossacks upon Central Europe. :rofl:

Braedonnal,
I checked my BB rating only once and I was so frightent I decided to never check it again :D
I never meant to go on rampage, but with limited flow of settlers and so many oppurtinities araising in defensive wars I had to enlarge my empire somehow ;)

I have goldmine in Samara and must admitt it IS handy.

Well, my Cossacks cant say they are bored, you will see in next installements.

Thanx for comments
Czerpak

zacharym87 said:
First off, what's up the Ottomans? The Mamluks still running around in 1575 and Turkey allied with Persia and Georgia :eek: ? That's gotta be the most peaceful OE I've ever seen. Taking the Uzbeks is a good idea, particularly as it will open up routes to the enormously wealthy lands of Persia and India. regarding your colonies in Siberia, it might to be cheapers just to put TPs in places like Alga that produce low-value goods like wool and grain. Save your cash for building cities in provinces with high-value resources, Siberia got's some gold mines (Buriat and Angara, maybe there's a third in there too) and lots of provinces that produce fur. Regarding fortresses, I often leave cities deep in my colonial hinterland unfortified, as invaders are extremely unlikely to ever get there. Archanglesk would be a good place to fortify if Sweden and Russia are still close-by. Oh, and keep up the good work, Poland seems to be developing nicely.

Turks have war with Mameluks every few years (although they were allied for some time as well), took some provinces from them over time.

Taking Uzbek maps opened Delhi for my traders (some 200 - 250 out of that place every year) and also gave me good borders with Persian weakly defended provinces. This will be used in the future I hope.

Poland goes into times of troubles soon, ending up with development I couldnt expect even myself :confused:

czerpak said:
Taking Uzbek maps opened Delhi for my traders (some 200 - 250 out of that place every year) and also gave me good borders with Persian weakly defended provinces. This will be used in the future I hope.

QUOTE]
The Mughals are pretty picky about they're trade in my game and they'll probably kick you out, but if they haven't got to Trade 4 yet I don't guess you need to worry about that for quite sometime.

Good AAR I'm enjoying it a great deal.

Cow Pie The Mughals are pretty picky about they're trade in my game and they'll probably kick you out said:
Hi Cow Pie,
I'm in the year 1601 in my game and that already happened. I will have to take Delhi for myself then, I guess :D

Glad you are enjoying my AAR attempt, which IMO is pathetic comparing to yours and some other I have seen here.

JPEG seems to be the preferred format around here, but I don't believe you have to convert the files. Anyway, converting to JPEG should be relatively easy if you have a picture editing program, just open your screenie in there and save as JPEG.

Great BB war

Sweden took Karelia so we immediately offer this province for peace.
Swedes agree to our delight, so there is one enemy out of the way.
In meantime we take Silesia and Bohemia from Czechs, and they offer Silesia in peace treaty. We agree.
We also annex Uzbeks this year.

Last annexation must have pissed off some other countries.
Persia (+ Turkey, Netherlands,Georgia and Mongols) DOW us.
Pommern DOWs us, followed by Brandenburgers (+ England & Saxony).

We take Turkmenistan from Persia and they (as alliance leader, which is most important) agree to white peace. That was an easy one.

All monthly incomy now goes to treasury (111 Gold)

Brandenburgers took Silesia and 27G in peace treaty.
OTOH we take Tula from Russia in another peace treaty.

We annex TO (Estonia & Livonia).
Now only half of monthly income goes directly to our pocket.

Our armies at this moment :
Stefan Batory (13000/3300/47) in Bouzatchi
Krzysztof Radziwill (20000/8000/41) in Karakum
Those are ready to supress rebels in former Uzbek provinces.

Sebastian Lubomirski (30000/4000/67) in Estonia. We order another 6000 infantry reinforcements for him.

Jan Zamojski (17000/9000/16) in Eastern Prussia waits for another army(23000/3000/20) to join him for a campaign against Pommeranians.

Last army (20000/8000/16) goes from Posen to Danzig to break Pommeranian siege there.
We lost battle in Danzig and Pommeranians take control over the province.
Spain annex Navarra.

We invest 25g into our relations with Hungary.
Last former Uzbek province converted to true faith this year.
Unrests in Moldavia, Vladimir and Vologda.
This war takes to long, thats for sure, but we want to teach Pommeranians a good lesson for the future.
Lubomirski sent to Vologda to take care about rebels there.
Zamojski retakes Danzig for us and goes straight to Eastern Pommern and starts a siege there.

We beat rebel scum in Moldavia and start siege rebels in Vologda.

Invest 25g in relations with Hungary and Austria.

Our traders gain monopoly in Delhi for the first time.
Hungary invites us to their alliance with Venice.
We loose battle with Pommern in E.Pommerania, but their army is anihilated later in Danzig. We start a new siege in E.Pommern.
Another unrest in Vladimir.
Lubomirski takes Vologda from rebels and beats rebels in Vladimir later on.
Unrest in Saratov. Lubomirski "the Butcher" sent there.
Stefan Batory dies.
We also improve our Alga colony this year.

Zygmunt III Wasa is our new king. This scandinavian guy will greatly influence polish politics soon.
Invest another 25g into Hungary.
Rebels in Saratov destroyed by Lubomirski.
Vologda rebels again.
We reach trade level 6.
Landtech reaches level 10 later this year.
Alga colony improved again.
Volgograd and Tambow rebel - we must finish this war ASAP.
We get excellent minister.
Moldavia rebels.
Sweden (+Denmark) DOW us - is it 5 years from last peace treaty ???
Hungary joins the war on our side, but bastards from Venice refuse.
Holsztyn DOWs us, followed by Czechs (+Turyngia).
Hungary again supports us, they have army of 5000 infantry in whole of their country though.
Samara, Pskov and Memel rebel.
We finally ( few months to late though) take E.Pommern and force Pommeranians to convert in peace treaty.

England recievs Cape Verde from Portugal in peace treaty.

Lubomirski beats rebels regularly.

Tenghiz rebels.
Sweden siege Ingermanland.

to be continued.....

zacharym87 said:
JPEG seems to be the preferred format around here, but I don't believe you have to convert the files. Anyway, converting to JPEG should be relatively easy if you have a picture editing program, just open your screenie in there and save as JPEG.

It is not a problem to convert them, only thing I havent installed all software on my new PC yet, so dont have any picture editing program at the moment.
I signed up to Angelfire today so try to mess around with pictures tommorow.
thanx for your help and enjoy first part of big BB war :D

Czerpak

Great BB war - cont.

Kurgan, Vladimir & Kazan rebel.
Sweden refuse our peace offer for 250g.
Walachia DOWs us, Hungary joins this war on our side.
Lubomirski destroys rebels in Vladimir and Vologda.
Zamojski marches to Bohemia.
Alga colony upgraded again.
England vasalize Scotland.
Lubomirski (30000 men) defeated by 20k Swedes in Ingermanland.
Radziwill destroys rebels in Samara & Kazan.
Sweden takes control over Ingermanland.
We renew RM with Venice, Hungary and Austria.
Astrakhan rebels.
Lubomirski defeated again by Swedes, this time in Onega.
We retake Tenghiz & Moldavia from rebels.
Lipetsk & Saratov rebel.
We take control over Bohemia.
Radziwill beats Swedish army in Onega.
Jan Sapieha (new leader) appears.
Brandenburgers (+England, Hessen and Pommern) DOW us.

Moldavia & Ryazan rebel.
100k Brandenburgers siege Moravia.
We take Sudeten from Czechs.
We agree to peace with Sweden for Ingermanland and 250g
We take Erz from Czechs and annex them.
Alga colony upgraded, as usual.

Russia ( Sweden, Denmark) DOW us.
Peace with Turyngia for 250g from our pocket.
Peace with Brandenburgers with our paying 250g.
White peace with Holsztyn.
Alga colony upgraded again.
White peace with Walachia.
We take Moscow from Russians and force them to sign white peace.

THATS THE END OF GREAT BB WAR !!!
POLAND IN PEACE FINALLY !!!

Denmark annex Holsztyn and we continue to fight rebels all over the country.