• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Madeira is an interesting one - heading for the Caribbean? :D

Nice victories recently, Italy seems to be pretty heavily under your influence.

if I could gain just ONE goddamn colonist... :)

so I am not after colonizing in the first place but who knows - if that's the direction the story evolves (I don't know yet), I can give it a try.

Interlude I.: 1501

[video=youtube;v1RRljJR_mE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1RRljJR_mE[/video]

So as I promised here's an overview of the situation after a hundred years of piracy:

pol1501.jpg

I must admit that this is the most "plausible" map of Europe I've ever seen in 1501... Maybe 'cause I'm playing this game with historical lucky nations - or maybe not. Let's draw a circle on Europe:

Castille is usual: conquered Morocco via mission, conquered part of Italy via mission, conquered Aragon via excommunication. Currently at war with France (along with England) and it seems they are winning. I was lucky because Castille has restrained itself from DoWing me or one of my vassals until the present and now I (hopefully) have a sphere of vassals strong enough to defend myself.

France is in decline: to much of surprise, they lost a war against non-HRE Burgundy (hence Normandy) and now they are at war with ENG and CAS. When the French attacked the Ottomans and seized Larissa I panicked a bit and sold back Athens to Venice but I regretted that - though France has a surprisingly strong navy (about 20-25 carrack) I doubt they could defeat the combined forces of ENG and CAS... but who knows.

England is solid, not doing much apart from conquering parts of Scotland from time to time...

Burgundy is "co-Emperor" with Austria, they seemed to lose the title in favor of the other in the last 50 years or so. Currently they are stable, even managed to reconquer cores from France.

To the north Denmark is the major power with maintaining its PU over Norway, vassalising Sweden and conquering parts of HRE. Novgorod is the runner-up, the other Russian countries are non-existent or very close to that.

Lithuania broke the PU with Poland and since then struggles with the GH, which is surprisingly stable: Poland, Novgorod and Hungary are tributaries and the others don't have the money and/or the army to beat them.

The Ottomans are in a decline too though I don't really know why - they were in decline already when the French DoWed them and sunk their fleet, so this time it has nothing to do with the strait. They are also an ally to the Mamluks and defended themselves well against the hordes. They didn't even go bankrupt - yet how their army disappeared recently, it's a mystery...

The Mamluks are silent. They have a core on me (apart from the tribal CB) but it seems the hordes are keeping them busy - hope it remains such until I get way ahead of them in tech.

And the HRE - Austria is Emperor with bigger army than Ming or the GH but apart from destroying Milan with their mission they actually don't do much.

Diplomacy/Government:

diplo1501.jpg

This is a pain in the ass - I reached level 10 gov.tech. some ten years ago and though Ahmad II is a great ruler, his admin. is only 6... his heir, Mansur had 7 admin. but died five years ago... now all that left is praying for a good heir / next ruler - though since I play EU3 for a while now I have no illusions about this...

I changed Excellent Shipwrights for Patron of the Art because of the event that gives you +2 innovative (and some money) and chose National Trade Policy as a second NI - I have still 20 years to decide, which would be the third...

The sliders didn't change much - I spent the last hundred years crawling towards free trade with occasional centralisation and I got the aforementioned innovative event two times. Apart from that the sliders are in the same position as they were a hundred years ago.

The Alliance: I have Tunisia, Cyprus, Naples, Algiers, the Pope and Aquileia as vassals and Candar under a PU. Apart from that I have Karaman and Hedjaz as allies. I have cores on the two provinces of the Pelopponesos and will gain a core on Oran in 1509. What bothers me is that I don't gain any settlers and Madeira is still a colony with Portuguese culture and Catholic religion...

Technology:

tech1501.jpg

We are not too good techwise... though I have 75 percent of my total income from trade France is nearly 20 tech. ahead of me - I suppose I might westernize at one point though there is no rush about it. I have ridiculously poor provinces (Sirt, Cyrenaica, Lybia - none of them exceeds 5 ducat in overall income...) and 75% research - I don't know what could I reach with all this but I try to avoid westernisation as long as I can. (Though I have land.tech. 9 while the Hansa has land.tech. 16...)

income1501.jpg

The lag in technology becomes even more frustrating when I see that I have the sixth biggest income around the world...

cot1501.jpg

...trading in all the richest CoTs I can reach.

chart1501.jpg

Here are the charts as the final picture - I must put my faith into my vassals as alone I am not a "power" in any meaning of that word.

Thus (for the time being) I have to see myself as a funnel that channels the power of my minions to the right direction... :)

See ya' on the seas until next time!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tech and map update. I hope you get a great heir soon! The story is also fascinating. Like il_loco, I love the way you wrap the events into the story.

That Europe does feel very natural indeed. Interesting stuff.

...and finally, Castille attacked - be prepared for a fight! :ninja:

[video=youtube;ny-97Oh-Fws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-97Oh-Fws[/video]

first of all the AAR is alive even though I was quite ill in the first half of the month and then I got distracted a bit by... well, by good old KoTOR2 - I humbly apologize for it, I shall return to the light side of the Force in the near future. I promise.

Why didnt you annex Tunisia or Algiers?

ehh... techwise I am already well behind Europe and I did not (and do not) want to annex a bunch of provinces with next-to-nothing tax incomes, cheap trade goods AND without cores (which means that upon annexation all the lvl1 buildings that are "default" for the Muslims would be gone and I simply do not have the money to rebuild them - it took me some 30 years to gather enough money for the basic buildings in one province, Oran)

as for the other things: now (because of the vassals) I have a force limit of cca. 30 (I wish that my actual army would be that big...) which is quite good though I admit that I have to guard exclusively and personally every single soldier as my manpower barely reached 8000 even with the 8th land tech. level buildings...

so, I have enough money with the help of trading and my vassals seemed to handle the previous wars quite well - with the very last against Castille/England being an exception.... but that will be in the next post I assume.

Part 10 - Conquistadores (1501-1509)

So it was the end of the year 1501 - the dawn of a new century in Christian Europe and the dawn of a new age in Muslim Tripoli: tensions were high all across the country and the "cold war" between Ahmad II and the High Council seemed to be heated up again (if you allow me that kind of metaphor).
In early December a delegation arrived from Venice with a declaration of Corsair merchants being forced to leave the city as soon as possible - if not they would be treated as enemies of the Venetian Republic and would have to face all of the consequences. As the merchants were the main supporters of Ahmad's struggle against the Council it was quite clear who suggested such move to the otherwise weak and incompetent Venetian government...

misc1101.jpg

This was a serious blow to the income of Tripoli and effectively weakened the potential of the merchant class - and due to the complicated internal situation Ahmad could not even plan a punishing invasion because with the fleet on far away seas the supporters of the Council could grow far to strong.

The economical situation was getting worse and worse during the next year with entire merchant fleets disbanded and some minor uprisings among the crew of them who became suddenly unemployed.

And then a long forgotten comet arrived again...

misc1102.jpg

...to further fuel the debate all over Tripoli about the Malik, the Council, the government and all the things that could be (or could not be) related to them.

Ahmad II tried to save the situation and improve his own image among the commoners. And to do so he started planning a full scale attack against the Mamluks - with the help of the people of Mecca and the Najdi tribes, crushing the Egyptian resistance from three sides did not seem to be an impossible task.
To justify the planned war yet again the merchants came to help the Malik - as the largest faction among all the traders of Alexandria for decades they laid official claims to the heads of the city about bringing the whole district under the protection of Tripoli.

misc1103.jpg

To further increase their support for the Malik the merchants offered their yearly profit from wool trade to Ahmad II.

misc1104.jpg

And then disaster struck...

misc1105.jpg

In the summer of 1503 the wretched infidels of Iberia took up arms against the True Faith. Though they were cowards enough to not attack Tripoli directly they declared war upon the small sheikdom of Candar in the far lands of Anatolia - but the supreme leader of the Candari people were the all-time Chief of the Corsairs since they offered that title to the High Council decades ago. So Tripoli (and all their subjects) had no choice but to aid their Turkish allies as much as they can.

One part of the fleet was quickly dispatched to Italy where Tripoli had many allies - the crew started to lay siege to the cities there which were in direct Castilian possession.

misc1106.jpg

In the meantime Crusader troops landed on the newly acquired island of Madeira and drove away its small garrison far too easily. Because those lands were under control of Tripoli just for a few years and their population was mainly consisted of Christian Portuguese settlers they were quick to secede from Tripoli.

The other half of the crew was ordered to march to Algiers as a huge army of Crusaders was threatening the Algerian lands and most importantly the city of Oran - the fleet itself was called back to safe ports as matching the Castilian naval superiority was an impossible task for even the combined fleets of the Corsair alliance.

heir06.jpg

And that was the time when the more and more rotten High Council tried to gain advantage against Ahmad II - they suggested that in these harsh times, Tripoli needs a capable soldier as a ruler so they quickly proclaimed a captain of the army by the name of Yusuf as the potential successor to the Malik.
Nothing was known about this "Yusuf", even his age, apart from his rather quick rise in the ranks of the army and his incapability about anything that wasn't related directly to war and battle. Ahmad and his close advisers suspected that he was just a fool, a mere pawn of the High Council who was corrupted and bribed by sweet words and promises of even sweeter maidens...

In the meantime, the war was going with changes of luck on both sides - though the Crusaders had vast armies both in Northern Africa, the lack of knowledge about the deserts and the mountains aided the defending troops of Algiers and Tripoli and they were capable of taking some of the Castilian outposts in the Atlas.

misc1107.jpg

However in Italy and Greece the sheer numbers of the Crusaders were simply overwhelming - they were ruthlessly chasing small contingents of the Corsairs between the Italian cities and even laid siege to the main Corsair outpost in Southern Greece.

Even some assassins offered "help" to Ahmad II in his war but he didn't believe in winning the war with just eliminating key figures on the opposite side - he knew that the leaders of Europe were standing in a queue to gain support from their zealous population and thus with every slain Crusader leader two other will take up the position...

The year of 1505, the third year of the Crusade had mixed news for Ahmad II: the most important among them was the Danish support of the Castilian armies (and navy) that seemed to finally tip the balance of the war to the Christian side - Danish and Norwegian fleets appeared near the coast of North Africa and the fresh troops they brought laid siege to all the important cities of Tripoli and Algiers.

misc1108.jpg

However in early February the Sultan of Morocco died without a heir and due to the increasing Crusader threat in the region the elders of Morocco offered the title to Ahmad II and his successors - the only remaining capable leader with any remarkable military force in the region.

But even with aid of the Moroccan army the Corsairs couldn't hope to last against the pressure of the combined forces of Castille, Denmark and Norway.
Finally Ahmad II was able to offer a concede of defeat to the Danish King that he could accept - though the Malik had to revoke his rule over the Cypriot people, the resulting peace called off a large part of the Crusader forces in North Africa.

misc1109.jpg

But all the diplomacy and all the raids against the Castilian outposts in former Moroccan territory had been in vain - the Crusader armies and fleet were simply too large in numbers to withstand against. In late 1506 Tlemcen and Oran fell to the Spanish and after the fall of Tripoli, the capital city of the Corsairs, Ahmad had to ask peace...

peace15.jpg

Apart from the previously lost Madeira, Tripoli ceded the city of Tlemcen with all of its surroundings and the Italian region of Abruzzi from their owners Algiers and Naples to direct Castilian control. The peace was finally signed on 6th February 1507.

The situation was dire: the fleet didn't survive the battle of Tripoli and all around the country tensions were running high - yet this was not directed against Ahmad II or the High Council. This was directed towards the entire government that failed to protect its people from foreign aggressors...

misc1110.jpg

Ahmad II grew old in the war - though the rule of him just started some twenty years ago he was Chief of the Corsairs for nearly forty years. He sensed power within himself to live on with this disaster but his will was not so strong as it was before. In fact his will was never so strong at all... All that he wanted for his remaining years was peace - and for that he did everything. First of all he helped reaching an agreement between the complaining merchant class and the High Council - he remembered the thoughts from his youth and he truly had faith in a peaceful coexistence of Malik and Council in Tripoli.

But peace had its prices - prices that have to be paid. And Ahmad II knew this and he couldn't let another pawn of the High Council, this so called "Yusuf" succeeding him...

misc1111.jpg

Poison was the price that Ahmad II gladly paid for getting rid of that brute pirate... "brute pirate"... when he thought about that he had to smile - just some decades ago the whole country was consisted of "brute pirates" and nothing more. Yet now merchants, military officers, spies and diplomats walk on the streets of Tripoli...

Ah yes, about merchants - Ahmad didn't forget to search for... "traders" who were willing to bring some advanced weaponry to Tripoli - weaponry like that the Crusaders used in the last war.

misc1112.jpg

Just in case...

Ouch, that proved to be difficult... At least there were no direct losses other than Madeira.

I suppose you'll have to find more ways to get stronger, and do it faster than Castille! Alexandria would of course be excellent.

Great update anyway!

Ouch, that proved to be difficult... At least there were no direct losses other than Madeira.

I suppose you'll have to find more ways to get stronger, and do it faster than Castille! Alexandria would of course be excellent.

Great update anyway!

I think this is not the first time when your "suppositions" soon become reality - you obviously know something! :)

If only you inherit throne of Candar. Then you could use Tribal Feud casus belli against Ottomans...

but yet again their provinces are overseas to me - which doesn't mean that all of them are unworthy to take (eg. those with decent trade goods) but currently I have really good relations with them and their sultan is also a Burji like my Malik. of course you never know when they would DoW someone in your... sphere whom you have to defend but to be honest currently I have bigger problems than planning which Turk provinces would be the most suitable to seize...

:)

also if anyone with native English reads this - I would certainly welcome any kind of feedback related to the language of the AAR - repeated mistakes, incorrect phrases / verb terms / expressions come to my mind in the first place (if any). thanks a lot!

and now back to the seas:

Part 11 - One Step Forward, One Step Back (1509-1513)

It was the 40th anniversary of his inauguration as Chief of the Corsairs and Ahmad felt his death approaching. He spent the last two decades fighting against Crusaders as well as his own former mentors and all he saw when he looked around was destruction. Entire fleets and towns were eradicated along the coast of North Africa and it seemed that all that the Corsairs fought for - a Mediterranean free of infidel influence - had been in vain.

The war against Castille showed that the decentralized alliance of the Corsairs and their Christian allies don't possess the quantity and quality required to withstand against the Crusaders. Though Ahmad II was well aware of his age and the opposition of the High Council about centralized power he tried to improve the economical and social situation in Tripoli to aid the the country in further wars.

misc1201.jpg

So on 5th November 1509 as the leader of all Corsairs he granted the same privileges as any Free City in Tripoli possess to the people of Oran - it was an offset for their 50 years of support to Tripoli.

In the meantime the implementation of the "Corsair gold" started to bear fruits - due to the merchants (and fleets...) of Tripoli it became a fairly common gold coin all across the Mediterranean and as time passed more and more cities looked upon it as a "standard" above the false in unreliable coins of the Western merchants.

misc1202.jpg

Though it was not yet the time when money was made without any kind of actual work, the merchants of Tripoli were leading innovators in the field of "renting workers" from their debtors. The Western infidels would use crude terms for this kind of production...

misc1203.jpg

...and there were significant protest against the institution of 'debtors' slavery' around Tripoli too, yet it was by far the most sufficient way of supplying the fleets with fresh crew required all the time...

At the same time Ahmad knew that the unity of the fleet and the common folk is the key in the struggle against the Council and if the council members succeed in parting the two permanently, their grip of the Corsairs would never yield...

And for decades the most simple method of uniting all the people of Tripoli under one banner was raiding anyone and anything without the proper meanings of fighting back... it was 'the call of the loot' that brought warmth into all the hearts around the Free Cities anytime.

misc1204.jpg

Ahmad II didn't want to participate in a full scale war again so he decided to aid the Ottomans in their Jihad to take the city of Constantinople and silence the source of infidel influence over Rumelia once and for all - also he secretly hoped that he could finally enforce the 'Emperor' (of a half city) to renounce his ridiculous claims on the Greek cities under the protection of Tripoli.

Though it seemed that age had its mark on Ahmad's ability of timing...

misc1205.jpg

By the time the fleet assembled and was ready to set sail towards Byzantium, the war was over and the ancient Roman Empire ceased to exist. And the consequences of this... 'unnecessary' gathering of the fleet were more serious than Ahmad could have forseen...

heir07.jpg

A captain of the fleet by the name of Ali served as the voice of the unrest: he claimed that Ahmad was old and weak and he was no more able to lead the strong warriors of Tripoli - thus he demanded the immediate resign of him and a proper selection of a new, capable Malik who could lead the Corsairs "back to their old ways" as well as "against the true threat: the accursed infidels of the West" and "not some pathetic fool sitting on the throne of a long-dead Empire".

So it seemed that reaction had strong roots in the Corsair society - and the political situation escalated rather quickly: of course the Council jumped in as soon as they learned about the new "opposition" against Ahmad. They sensed great potential in Ali - he was a simple man with a simple mind and even more simple wishes. If they could succeed bringing him under their influence and maybe proclaim him as new Malik - though just nominally of course while the true control would remain among themselves - that would be a cunning move to take back the position of quartermaster from Ahmad who was still surprisingly agile even well within his fifties.

The race for the affection of the common folk began: Ahmad had the first step to take - though it was unknown to him that it will be his very last...

misc1206.jpg

The fleet was already assembled. The crew were ready. Everything was prepared for an attack - so all he had to do was to find another opponent. And as the Mamluk armies - according to the rumors - were busy fighting in far Eastern lands and at the same time a massive uprising against their Chief took place in Egypt, that was the perfect time...

The fleet set sail but the High Council was quick to respond: they made a proclamation that released some of the taxes for those who would participate in "finding the proper methods" of fighting against the threatening Crusaders.

misc1207.jpg

The proclamation was clearly a gesture from the Council to the merchants - it was without doubt, so it seemed that both sides tried to "bribe" the supporters of each other.

Meanwhile the war (or more likely the raid) was quick and successful - the were no battles at all during the 4 months of fight. The fleet of the alliance effectively blockaded all kind of traffic to the Mediterranean ports of the Mamluks and a surprise attack on Alexandria brought the city under Corsair control in days.

peace16.jpg

Without any kind of army in Egypt, the continuing uprising and their capital in danger the Mamluk envoys were quick to negotiate on the previous terms of the Corsair merchants about the city of Alexandria - and they also agreed to pay some gold too for the 'delay' in which the matter was solved.

This peace resulted in a situation unsolved: both the Council and Ahmad gained support because of their actions and the strength of the sides didn't change much. So it was up to Fate to decide who will shape the future of the Free Cities in the following years - and we all know that Fate has a strange sense of humor...

Not a year had passed after victory over the Mamluks when after 45 years of reign Ahmad II - the Preserver as he was called later - died in his palace due to old age and a heart attack.

misc1208.jpg

As the matter of succession was unresolved there were more that a few who looked upon this as an opportunity...

And the helm was in the hands of the High Council once again...

Two updates since a while! yeah!
And the new city apparently isn't fully integrated yet.

I had both time AND pleasure to play - a rare set of coincidences I had to exploit :D I've even played ahead a bit.

about the pretender: yeah, it seems to me that rebellions tend to break out in provinces with the highest tax values... I suspect this is coded to annoy the human player - just for fun.

Also happy to see more frequent updates in this excellent AAR.

Alexandria is, like I said, a very nice province to gain, especially since it's cored and therefore doesn't mess with your trade.

The balance of power seems to be moving to the Council's direction again, what with the regency and the apparently incompetent Ali.

Part 12 - High Hopes (1513-1527)

[video=youtube;Gkg88Mw5xJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg88Mw5xJw[/video]

[all credits go to Pink Floyd for writing this amazing song - but the interpretation of Nightwish is just brilliant]

With the passing of Ahmad II the Free Cities of Tripoli fell to anarchy. Ali, one of the captains, was chosen as the new Malik by the High Council. He was even claimed to be adopted by the late Ahmad II and thus was proclaimed as a direct descendant to the honourable Ahmad the Old - though given the relations Ahmad II had with the council members in the last 20 years of his reign this claim wasn't widely accepted through the cities...

Then a group of the captains "elected" a new chief among themselves though this pretender had even lower legitimacy as the Council-puppet Ali - he was rejected by both the merchant class and the common folk and with only (a part of) the fleet as his supporter he had little chance to achieve anything apart from being executed.

The lack of leadership led straight into a financial crisis...

misc1301.jpg

Although the pretender army was crushed quickly by the loyal part of the fleet, the trust in the High Council was falling dramatically and avoiding taxes became fairly common through the Corsair holdings.

The Council was totally unable to resolve the situation and things seemed to rapidly spiral out of control. The merchants blamed the all-time rulers of the Corsairs along with the fleet for constantly ruining the reputation of Tripoli and thus hardening the job of the honest traders all across the Mediterranean. They even threatened the government with the cancellation of their funding of the fleet.

misc1302.jpg

And the chaos didn't seemed to calm down at all - with the merchants pressure on the fleet the numbers of new recruits were falling sensibly and filling up all the posts on the ships quickly became impossible.

misc1303.jpg

And all that was finally enough for the otherwise crude and brutish Ali to sense an opportunity. Though he wasn't much of a leader - the reason for him becoming the puppet chief of the High Council in the first place - he was a veteran captain and if there was one thing he hated utterly in all his life, that was chaos.

With the backing of the fleet, where he was a well renown soldier for decades, and with his quite good position "inside" he government - even if it was just a "title" - he started making plans to finally overthrow the High Council and put an end to the constant disagreement between the Malik and the council members that threatened with the ultimate falling of the Corsairs behind the rest of the world in the upcoming centuries.

And that was the perfect time for such a plan - though the damage the "cold civil war" did to Tripoli was already high in the same time it was inevitable to shake the position of the High Council enough and thus allowing a hopefully successful movement against them.

So, again their own creation seemed to be the one who finally consume the council members and finish their rule over Tripoli - a rule that lasted for centuries since the fall of the Arabic empires of the East.

Ali knew that at first he had to restore the commoners' faith in the fleet if he was ever going to succeed. To achieve that he persuaded the other captains that a donation to the economy of Tripoli was necessary. The financial crisis was rampaging on and a gift from the fleet (which always just 'took' the resources before that) would surely restore the reputation of the shipmates in the eyes of the people.

misc1304.jpg

Meanwhile a massive uprising took place in the lands known as Fez against the Spanish crusaders - though it wasn't strong enough to drive them off it showed that the grip of the Castilians never can be strong enough to break the free people of North Africa.

Two other years passed and the situation seemed to be improving - at least for Ali. The common folk started to recognize him as the rightful leader of the Corsairs and more and more supporters flocked to his banner to gather against the rotten reign of the council members.

To ensure that the future change in leadership will be done without (much) violence Ali - using the Malik's free entry to the highest courts of Tripoli - started building a network of agents inside the Council to reach those members who would be willing tho join him and betray the false rulers of the Free Cities.

misc1305.jpg

The next step was convincing the merchant class. They were greedy in the first place just like... well, just like all the merchants of the world so with a promise of slightly more... liberal laws of trade in Alexandria and less harassment from the government they were eager to join Ali's cause and help him in his quest to become supreme ruler in Tripoli.

misc1306.jpg

At the same time Ali achieved the revoking of the agreement the Corsairs had with the Venetians on the importation of weapons (mostly guns) from Venice - it was a double blow as it was suspected that the Venetians sold these armaments to Tripoli just to ensure that the infighting among the corsairs would continue endlessly and it would prevent a united action of them.

This however caused some stir as a large part of the merchant class gained profit from importing these goods...

misc1307.jpg

Regardless, the majority of the merchants sided with Ali and then all that remained was the final move to end the 10 years of chaos that nearly ruined the whole country to endless anarchy. Yet it took another three years for the situation to turn into Ali's favor...

In 1526 a common soldier by the name of Tahir Nedim from the city of Sirt became the key figure in executing the the final part of the plan. He was a rather naive person yet he had very good intentions - he called out for increased defensive founding all across the Free Cities to counter the technological superiority of the Crusaders. As he pointed out the countries of the West had guns and those were increasing in both quality and quantity so new methods of defense through the holdings of the Corsairs was necessary.

misc1308.jpg

But the High Council ignored this petition as they feared that better fortifications would further weaken their rule across Tripoli. What they didn't realize that they rule was already weak. In fact it barely stood. And this was their downfall.

The unrest reached its boiling point - protesters swarmed the streets all across the Free Cities demanding the heads of the council members for their "betrayal of their own kind". Ali was wise to choose not standing on the front of this movement from the beginning - he waited for envoys of the people to come to him. And when that finally happened, on 25th December 1526 (according to the calendar of the Infidels), the reign of the High Council in Tripoli was finally over.

leader04.jpg

Ali was "re-elected" as Ali I, Malik of the Corsairs yet this time "by the people of the Free Cities". He finally fulfilled his main goal: he became leader of the Corsairs and this time there was no one he had to share the power with.

But he knew that the agreement between the various classes of Tripoli was a fragile thing - the legitimacy of his rule was questioned by more than a few people and though he chose to ascend to the title as a member of the Burji family it was an open secret that he didn't have much connection with the bloodline at all.

To gain some prestige - and as a long time "rite of passage" in Tripoli - he organised a raid on the Greeks: this time on the Greeks of Crimea who were claimed to be the rightful owners of the Corsair lands in Southern Greece. Though this claim was maintained only by them.

peace17.jpg

The campaign was quick and successful - the Greeks in Kaffa were subjugated and their claim on the Achaean Peninsula was revoked. The losses were minimal.

And with the glorious return of the fleet from the Black Sea the Malik could have high hopes about the future of the Corsairs - and their subjects too...

Great update, Ali is showing some surprising resolve.

Another vassal added and the trade game seems to be looking good. That's important seeing that Castille is still a bit worrying...