• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But the landmark preservation act (?) wasn't first used to protect Grand Central; the first time it was applied was to Greenwich Village in response to Robert Moses' attempt to build a highway on it.

Love the colonization attempts; how bad is the attrition in the Pacific?

I wouldn't say Mei is a Mary Sue, she's pretty dang ruthless! Very much enjoying the colonisation, though - you've got a hundred-year head start over the other main settler-colonised area in the New World (i.e. the US).

I've finished reading the whole thing and now I'm somewhat sad that I have to wait for more of this great story. I'm curious to see how the New World works out given that it's going to be sandwiched between two different groups of colonisers.

I have a question for everyone! So I just played out the game to the 1780s... colonial revolts have just begun to form “Canada” and “USA” and other such nonsense that obv won't exist. I was wondering if y'all would be ok with me ending the EU game there and straight-up writing the final decades rather than modding the game. Because, honestly, it would take a shitload of modding... 15-20 new tags, plus all the cores/culture/etc that making all those new countries would entail... plus, I'm worried that changing all that stuff would ruin the AI's understanding of game balance in Europe.

Overall, I'm mostly happy with what the AI has done in the Americas. I'll simplify the harlequin northern Canada and nix a couple inland nonsense colonies resulting from dumb wars, but the AI formed a surprising number of large contiguous colonies that I plan to make countries on the same borders. So there's that, a breaking up of Song's empire resulting more from my monarchs' decisions than the people's (aka me just saying “this happened” is reasonable in-story), and the Great Fake War of Holy Roman Simplification. I'd rather write all this than spend hours and hours modding it all in that'd be better spent tackling the huge task of building a Vicky 2 scenario, I just wanted to make sure you guys wouldn't think of it as cheap or anticlimactic to ignore the game for the last few decades.

(Btw, what the AI does to Britain in the 1700s is seriously awesome. You'll see.)

Also, I won an AARland AAR Choice Award! I'm honored to have won, and I'd like to thank everyone who voted, and everyone in general for following/commenting on my AAR! It's also an honor to have tied Bastions, a wonderful AAR I follow and deeply respect. Thank you guys.

@Stuyvesant: Interesting thing about the brutal punishment... I only learned this just before the last post (researching French Revolution,) but that sorta thing actually meshes really well with pre-Enlightenment notions of justice. Sentences were about punishing the accused for their transgressions, so for especially heinous crimes, a simple execution would have been seen as "justice" not doing its job. Hence stuff like drawing and quartering/burning at the stake in the West and slow slicing/familial extermination in the East. The guillotine was (at least, initially :rolleyes:) seen as really progressive: the purpose of execution wasn't punishment or retribution, it was simply meant to remove "harmful" people from society. Hence an execution method that was "moral" in that it was the same for rich and poor and eliminated the apparant cruelty of hanging not breaking the neck or an executioner going all *chop* "Oops I missed."

Kinda random, but I thought it was pretty cool and learning that made me look at a lot of historical "justice" in a totally different light. Eg, the infamous Roman punishment for patricide (man + dog + snake + monkey + rooster = bffs) and insight into part of the reason why the Red Terror was so brutal ("It's totally humane, guys! We're not punishing people, we're improving society!)

@Merrick Chance': Oops, my mistake. I'd placed the destruction of Penn Station and the plans for Grand Central around the same time in my head for some reason.

The attrition is fine as long as I can stop in Hawaii. I got military access from them, but while the AI lets the agreement go forever, really the natives would get annoyed Captain Cook-style pretty quickly... so I say very few ships try it, and that problem's "resolved" in the next update. The trade winds make it so that I can sail clockwise Shanghai->Alaska->San Fran->Hawaii->Guam->Shanghai if I wanted by shift-clicking the route through the ports to clear the "time at sea" penalty, but if I did it counter-clockwise I'd take a beating, possibly sink.

@Sjiveru: Haha, I was just worried she was unrealistically hypercompetent since she's the monarch I decided as a player I'd do whatever cool stuff I wanted. I chill on colonization for a while though, decided to wait for the Euros to draw their lines in the sand before expanding more.

@vanin, SirkTheMonkey: Thank you guys, and welcome!

Chapter 28: Fire and Fury

zhao-mei-enlist.jpg

Early 20th-century propaganda poster featuring Zhao Mei, depicting her in battle garb to evoke her Qin campaign. The queen's legacy left an indelible mark on her people and their descendents. Consequently, she was often invoked in later centuries to marshal public support for various causes and goals, sometimes even by both sides of the same issue. Considering how shrewdly Mei distorted the lives and deeds of Wu Zetian, Han Lin'er, Li of Ming, and others for political ends, some observe she might have found this fitting.

The War of the Shu Succession represents something of a turning point in Chinese politics and culture. Since the fall of Ming over a century ago, the four great kingdoms of China maintained a delicate balance of power. Song and Yue had been strong allies since the overthrow of the Yuan Dynasty. Qin and Qi had long flirted with the idea of allying each other to counter the southern bloc. Although they never formalized their relationship, the threat of the two kingdoms standing together was enough to keep the peace.

When the last king of Shu died, he willed his throne to his neighbor and friend, the warlord of Yue. Qin immediately disputed the inheritance; although their claim to Shu was tenuous at best, they perhaps feared the southern kingdoms accumulating even more power. Qin declared war on the 25th of December, 1511. Song, naturally, backed Yue.

But this turn of events puts the king of Qi in a rather uncomfortable position, and the future balance of power rests on his word. Staying out of the conflict is not an option. He must choose a side.

Many of his advisors suggest their kingdom should fight on the same side as Qin. Although this could transform the minor Shu dispute into a bloody, protracted struggle consuming all of China, the advisors say they must stand against Song and Yue to prevent future southern hegemony of the Middle Kingdom. Breaking ties with Qin would leave them defenseless against both that kingdom itself and against the Muslim marauders of Kashmir; surely, they argue, Song and Yue would maintain their exclusive ties and leave Qi to fend for itself.

On the other hand, fighting against the powerful southern alliance could utterly ruin their kingdom. In addition, the fusion of Han, Mongol, and Jurchen languages and customs in the north has already produced a Qin culture that is decidedly un-Chinese. Despite a shared struggle against the western Sunnis, many in the Qi court disparage the “regress” of Qin society and feel nothing but contempt for the “Chinese barbarians.”

In the end, Qi sides with Song and Yue against Qin. They form a broad coalition Qin cannot hope to defeat and thus limit the scope of the war. The northern kingdom is denounced for “meddling in Chinese affairs,” formalizing a split between the Han and Qin peoples. With one declaration, Qin becomes a cultural pariah, and Beijing is considered part of the Middle Kingdom no longer.

1511-war-counts.jpg

Although her generals are confident the war can be quickly won, and despite her advanced age, Zhao Mei takes personal command of the White Lotus Army. She knows her place in history as a powerful and visionary queen is already secure. But she intends to prove herself a skillful military commander as well. She marches her army north toward Kaifeng. Meanwhile, the Army of the East moves into Qin Korea, and the Frontier Defense Force waits on the banks of the Yellow River.

1511-army-march.jpg

Mei reaches the front in March of 1512. She swings her army through Yue-owned Shanxi, utterly defeating a Qin force of 18,000 men. From there, she moves into Qin territory while ordering the Frontier Defense Force to lay siege to Beijing.

1512-shanxi.jpg

1512-marchin.jpg

The Qin king, Menglin Zhenghu, and his army had hoped to quickly take Song Korea, shutting down the war's eastern front before it opened. But with the Army of the East holding fast and Beijing under attack, he abandons the plan and moves to liberate his capital.

1512-korea.jpg

Within the same month, the Korean rebels sponsored by Zhao Mei establish a new kingdom in the province of P'unghae. The Jurchens send a token force to restore order, but without a competent navy, they cannot dispatch enough troops to retake the area.

Menglin reaches Beijing in June. Although the battle costs many more Qin lives than Wu, the king breaks the Song siege.

1512-beijing-retreat.jpg

Mei wants to strike back, but the army--far more mobile, comprised mostly of cavalrymen born in the saddle--escapes to the east. Knowing full well they hope she gives chase, planning to starve her army on the steppes until it is too weak to fight, she does not pursue them further. With the throne of Shu the alliance's only goal, she could simply avoid battle, then force Qin to surrender after taking a few undefended provinces.

But Mei refuses to settle for such an inglorious end to the war. And while Qin may have the faster army, she rules the waves. Leaving the Frontier Defense Force to secure territory, the queen moves her entire White Lotus Army onto the Yangtze Armada. With monsoon season beginning to wind down, she orders an amphibious attack on her opposite number.

1512-landing.jpg

The fighting rages on and off for the better part of two weeks. Mei establishes a foothold on the beaches of Liaoxi and delivers a number of crushing blows the the defending force.

1512-liaoxi1.jpg

But the Qin king, knowing he has no hope of winning a pitched battle, resorts to hit-and-run tactics. Constant raids, unfamiliar terrain, and inefficient supply lines combine to grind away Song's hopes of victory. The soldiers talk of how they'll be cut off from the coast and slaughtered with no possible escape. Morale plummets, and many fear the battle may be unwinnable.

1512-liaoxi2.jpg

With the fates of her men hanging in the balance, Mei knows she must act quickly. She moves her army from the open plains they traditionally favor into the rugged highlands. She has a detachment of her main force make camp, conspicuously burning wood and roasting meat, telegraphing their presence to their enemies. With scouts reporting the approach of the Qin army, talk spreads through the Song ranks that the plan courts total annihilation. On the eve of the expected Qin attack, Mei speaks to her men.

“I come before you,” she says, “not as your queen. Much could be said of our kingdom's rise to greatness over these past decades. The conquest of Korea, the defeat of Japan. The accomplishments of our builders, our bureaucrats, our explorers. All these things demonstrate our power, our glory, but none of them will matter one whit in the battle we shall fight tomorrow.

“I come before you not as your general. My strategies, executed by my loyal servants, have won us wars in the past. And there is little doubt in my mind that my designs here, this time carried out by my own hand, will win us the day. But sly tactics and clever plans are of little comfort when home is so far away, when the enemy is so near, when victory seems so far from reach.

“No. Instead, I come before you as a warrior! I come before you as someone who has bloodied their hands to survive and to triumph, as someone who knows as well as you the nature of warfare, as someone who refuses to turn away or back down when faced with an enemy!

“Tomorrow morning, the king of Qin will lead his men through that mountain pass and attempt to stand toe-to-toe with the fiercest army that has ever been witnessed by men or gods. I say let him come! Let him witness the fire and fury that burns in our hearts! Let his men feel the cold rush of panic that haunts any who stand in our way! For we are Song, people of the greatest kingdom that has ever existed on this Earth! We will show these northern soldiers the true meaning of terror!”

When the Qin arrive to raid the encampment, the few Song men still in the valley retreat to higher ground. Mei moves her shock troops to cut off Qin's retreat. Archers and artillerymen emerge from hiding and take positions on the hills. They rain arrows, cannonfire, rockets, and bombs down on their trapped enemies. A gong sounds. The barrage ends. And Mei, screaming and cursing to whip her troops into a frenzy, leads her men on a cavalry charge to crush Menglin's battered forces.

1512-liaoxi3.jpg

The battle breaks the back of the Qin army, and they're forced to flee the province, all the while hounded by the relentless Song aggressors. They race west toward Beijing, but Mei catches up in October and destroys the entire army. After such a convincing show of strength, Qin has no choice but to surrender.

1512-liaoxi4.jpg

1512-war-end.png

It was nice to read this update, and the queen is bad-ass indeed. I really hate when the allies do such a thing (make a selfish peace treaty while being the war leader when the player puts the most effort into fighting). But to be honest, players do these things to AI allies often as well :D

Anyway, if by the end of the game mechanics are inadequate to represent what would be really happening in the aar, of course go ahead and make the story up! I am really looking forward to see what happens in Victoria, especially in the "contingent AI empires" that you hinted. :D But about "correcting the crazy randomness" - history showed that strange things (that happened in Canada in your game) are entirely possible. Just look at the (real-world) borders in South America to find evidence!

I'm all for making it easier on you, especially if it makes for a more fun game going forward and an awesome story.

I am looking forward to the map, though. Especially if you do a before and after, to show what changed.

Whoa, Mei is teetering a bit close to the edge of sanity there. But then again, how much of that is her innate bloodlust and how much of it is theater is open to debate.

Shame about the peace deal, but your Queen definitely earned her stripes.

As far as the modifications/storytelling goes, I agree with the others. You are writing, first and foremost, a narrative AAR. It's the story that's important, not so much the gameplay achievements. If it's easier to craft the remaining years of EU3 in prose rather than having to tussle with Vicky for months to align the EU3 outcome with your desired Vicky II opening scene, then by all means write away!

Anyway, we still have something like 270 years of gameplay before we even get to the 1780s, so let's see what happens in EU first. :)

Add mine to the list of 'end wherever you need to' comments.

Another great update! China is becoming more and more concretely divided as we speak.

End whenever you need to, this AAR is already fantastic and I very much look forward to an eventual Ba Jin esque narrative dealing with a Song Republic

Mei is a bit of a Badass. All who resists Song dominance of China shall fall!