• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
17 kilometers south of Chumikan
April 1, 1937

Zhukov was feeling slightly lost amidst all the details he had to worry about. With Voroshilov still in Moscow, probably sulking because he had been forbidden by Stalin from returning to Manchuria to complete the job he had started back in November. Stalin had told Voroshilov that he seemed overworked and should concentrate on his duties as commander-in-chief of the Red Army. Voroshilov had been crushed, but accepted it; Stalin knew of the rivalries between him and Buddenij and had decided to give Buddenij the victory. Zhukov snorted, it was hardly a victory. Buddenij remained in the reserve and Voroshilov was not stripped of his duties as commander-in-chief. Of course, this all had left Manchuria without a theater commander. Snorting again, Zhukov realized that’s where he entered the picture.

Stalin had made Zhukov the theater commander, promoting him to field marshal and giving him broad military and political powers to end the war against Manchuria, even allowing him to settle for an advantageous peace if he determined the situation warranted it. In effect, Zhukov had no real directive save to restore the situation at the very least but beyond that, he was fully independent and Stalin had guaranteed that he would accept any further result. Zhukov appreciated Stalin’s faith in his skill, but he was feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the sudden increase in workload. Besides the strategic and political levels which he had control over, he was still in operational command of his tank army, though admittedly that was really just an armored corps.

Fortunately, Zhukov had an able subordinate in Vasilevskij. He could just let Vasilevskij worry about his part of the grand scheme, and he did indeed do just that. Vasilevskij was a fine strategic thinker and was instinctively able to fit right into Zhukov’s plan without it even having to be made known to him; he simply saw the vast possibilities that Zhukov was trusting him to see. As for Lukin and Shapkin, Zhukov was not impressed with their capabilities. Lukin’s main accomplishment in the theater was to accept the surrender of Tannu Tuva and to reclaim Borzya, and it happened that it was to be a good launching point for Vasilevskij’s offensive. From that moment on, Zhukov knew that Lukin would play second fiddle to Vasilevskij. Shapkin was doing an important job, distracting the Manchurians around Vladivostok. It was not, however, a decisive factor in the campaign and Zhukov doubted the survivability of his division, especially given the Japanese activities.

The Japanese were preparing to land somewhere, but first it seemed that they were attempting to do all the damage they could from the sea. For the most part, this seemed to be raiding convoys between Okhotsk and the land still nominally Soviet around Vladivostok. Five transport ships had been sunk; Zhukov had no more details. He did not know what they had been carrying or whether they were going to or away fro Okhotsk. He merely knew that they were sunk, and he wondered why he really cared.

062-01-ConvoyStuffs.png

The Japanese struck at a convoy of some sort.

Zhukov yawned; given the length of the front anybody would think that there was more going on. However, it seemed very reminiscent of the Civil War, during which small units defended enormous distances. So it was in the war against the Manchurians. Zhukov fielded a grand total of eight divisions, which were separated at three corners of Manchuria. The Manchurians likely did not have a much larger army, and they were covering more ground as they did not know where the Soviets would attack until it came. Zhukov smiled, he was going to attack Tynda.

At a glance, it seemed counterintuitive. There were two Manchurian divisions at Tynda compared to the one at Blagoveshschensk and attacking toward the latter would seemingly place Zhukov closer to the important parts of the Manchurian state. However, Zhukov believed in defeating the enemy where he was concentrating and thus the Manchurians were more concentrated at Tynda than Blagoveshschensk. Additionally, occupying Tynda put him into a comparable location as reconquering Blagoveshschensk would, with easy access to Heihe. Thus, Zhukov planned to deceive the Manchurians; they would believe he was attempting to do something other than he was and thus they would fall.

062-02-AttackingTynda.png

Zhukov launching his attack toward Tynda rather than Blagoveshschensk.

Zhukov stretched and yawned. He wondered where he would stop the campaign, would he take a white peace simply to end the war and face the Japanese threat? Would he allow the full conquest and annexation of Manchuria? Would he arbitrarily cease the campaign somewhere between those two options? He did not yet know.

Zhukov is in charge now?!:eek: Crap, and I thought we had a chance.

White Peace! White Peace!.....Pleeeeeeeease. :D

why do you have convoys? doesnt everyhtin get tranported across russia?

BritishImperial said:
why do you have convoys? doesnt everyhtin get tranported across russia?
Vladivostok is cut of from the rest of Russia.

Myth said:
VILenin: Aww, do I have to invade the Japanese home islands again? I had enough of that when I was playing the Guangxi Clique

Yes, you do! Now be a good communist and destroy the evil quasi-fascist imperialists. And eat your beets. :D

Zhukov really lucked out. By all rights as an able general himself he should have to managed multiple levels of the chain of command (front commander, army commander, and corps commander) deal with inept politcally minded superiors (Voroshilov) and be loaded down with clueless subordinates (Shapkin, etc). But instead he actually has another good officer working for him! Boy, some people get all the luck. ;)

At some point in the future I'd love to see STAVKA's org chart for all the command appointments.

grayghost: Buwhahahahaha :p

BritishImperial: What 4th Dimension said ;)

4th Dimension: Yep :p

VILenin: Yep, Zhukov is lucky. Though he does also have Lukin and Shapkin under his command. As for an org chart, I was planning on doing an OOB of the entire Soviet Army (and Discomb to do one for the Wehrmacht) as the last update(s) before our war, complete with details like strength, organization and morale as well as leaders, their skill, experience, traits, etc. Would that suffice? ;)

Comment day!

Myth said:
]VILenin: As for an org chart, I was planning on doing an OOB of the entire Soviet Army (and Discomb to do one for the Wehrmacht) as the last update(s) before our war, complete with details like strength, organization and morale as well as leaders, their skill, experience, traits, etc. Would that suffice? ;)
It would be interesting for Voroshilov to do commenting of that chart, and see what he thinks of these "upstart children" (the new generals)

Now Zhukov comes in to stir to pot. That is going to upset a few apple carts, and more than simply the Manchurians. ;)

An actual OOB right before hostilities would be nice, though in my comment I was thinking more of the comedic value of Soviet politics. ;)

4th Dimension: Hah, that would be amusing :p

coz1: Probably ;)

VILenin: Ah yes, of course. Though to be fair, STAVKA plans far in advance. Many corps are leaderless because their leaders will only become available between 1937 and 1942! :p

Update coming up!

Vladivostok
April 5, 1937

Shapkin was wringing his sweating hands, worrying. He could feel beads of anxiety form across his brow and drip down as sweat, stinging his eyes if he was not quick enough in swiping them away. He was back in Vladivostok, and his one division was tasked with holding the entire city perimeter. Fortunately, Zhukov understood his situation and allowed him to create as many reserve positions as he needed, but his task remained: Vladivostok could not fall to the Manchurians. Zhukov understood how difficult this was and had promised that Shapkin would get some sort of aid, though he had not revealed what it was. Shapkin wondered if Zhukov even knew, and this worried him.

The Manchurians had been pushing back at Shapkin’s division ever since he had thrown their cavalry out of Jilin; they had swept southward from their conquests to the northeast of Manchuria, and the division at Jilin had recovered and launched a counteroffensive of its own. Now, Shapkin’s one division was surrounded in Vladivostok, one cavalry division to his west and the other to his east. The Manchurians also had a full brigade of heavy artillery emplaced at Mudanjiang, and it was steadily and logically beginning to pulverize the outer limits of the city, building by building.

It was just after midnight, and the Manchurian attack had been going on since 2100 the previous day. The artillery bombardment had lasted three hours and reports were beginning to filter back to his headquarters, which were quite warm and certainly contributed in part to Shapkin’s excessive sweating, of movements in the darkness beyond the thin perimeter his division had thrown up through the outskirts of the city. In an effort to appear to be remaining cool to his staff officers, Shapkin stroked his moustache. However, his movement was limp and his bravado hollow, as his subordinates could easily see for themselves. Tremulously smiling at them, Shapkin dropped his hand away and looked at the map whose information did not bode well for his command.

063-01-VladivostokUnderAttack.png

Vladivostok was under attack from two directions.

Shapkin knew what to do, even if his appearance seemed to preclude that possibility. Knowing that the Manchurians could not launch an attack from the north, he quickly ordered that the brigade covering the northern approaches be brought back to within the city, to set up a rough semicircle around the city center. He also ordered that the eastern and western brigades defending against the steadily strengthening Manchurian incursions make a fighting withdrawal toward the third brigade’s positions. He also had the anti-aircraft artillery crews standing by, their guns set horizontally to fire directly at any ground threat. He was determined to hold the city, or die trying.

Just then, a radio operator rushed into the room and whispered something to his chief of staff, who smiled broadly. As the man left, Shapkin’s chief of staff fumbled for a token before placing it on the map, south of Vladivostok. As Shapkin stared, attempting to discern what the token represented, he realized that the token was actually still south of Korea as his chief of staff gently pushed it into position. Bending over to compensate for his poor eye sight, Shapkin saw that it was a token that denoted a fleet, a transport fleet. Straightening up with sudden zest, Shapkin smiled broadly himself. He stroked his moustache again, his movements filled with vigor and determination. His bravado was no longer hollow, he knew that relief was on the way.

063-02-TransporttotheRescue.png

The details of the battle, and the token of the transport fleet south of Korea.

Shapkin wondered when the transport fleet had actually been sent, and how it had managed to run through the Japanese blockade that had been sinking convoy ships. He also wondered what it was carrying, and fantasized about it being an armored division, with an augmentation of heavy tanks. Such a consignment would surely halt the Manchurians in their tracks.

Shapkin stiffened, the Manchurians! He had forgotten about them; he knew he needed to make the port area safe for the transports to unload. With his reinvigorated resolve, Shapkin set about to coordinate his defense. He would draw the Manchurians into ambushes and traps that would sap their strength, destroy their organization and shatter their morale. They would see the true worth of a division of Soviet soldiers at last.

Shapkin is clearly all alone and lonely up there by himself - I think it is starting to go to his head. Either that, or there is a very real chance there are tanks on board the transport as he hoped. He's in a terrible position and likely to be defeated soon without some help.

Shapkin stiffened, the Manchurians! He had forgotten about them

That one line seems to sum up the Soviet general staff and their trials in the Far East. :p

shapkin sounds quite clever to me

coz1: Yep, pretty likely that he'll be defeated some time. As for what those transports have, we'll see :p

VILenin: Haha, yes. That's brilliantly said, and so true :D

BritishImperial: Well, he is a bit, but that doesn't necessarily make him a competent general ;)

Comment day again! And also, due to having to focus on university coursework that is becoming more troublesome than expected (just like the Manchurians
shiftyeyes.gif
), POF will slide into a semi-hiatus. I'll still update it, but only after I have had the time and inclination to write an update. This will last until my coursework has been finally vanquished. Also, LANning every other night with Discomb isn't helping either :p

Last night we were three, Edzako came by my house. We didn't do HoI2 though, and were having weird router problems for 2 hours... But we lanned Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. Edzako surprised us, he was really good for playing it for the first time. :p

Maybe next time we can do HoI2, but... maybe... I need to figure out why my router forwards scrambled IPs, while if you connect directly to an IP set by the DHCP, it links you straight to the host without problems. Yet the scrambled IPs all begin with 5 or something, meaning they're not in the 192.168.0.xxx range, and hence games don't see lan servers. Anyone know why it's doing that?

Even with the possibility of relief, Shapkin has his work cut out for him.

The Manchurians may be defeated in the end, but they won't go quietly.;)

Discomb said:
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World.
:eek::eek:

you guys play that game too? that is an awesome RTS... I love playing that. :D

and as for the update:

the Manchus are almost in Vladivostok again... :eek:
hopefully the reinforcements help the siege, and aren't just wasted and destroyed.

grayghost: No, they're certainly not going quietly. Bastards ;)

rcduggan: Yep, Empires is awesome. The level 10 AI cheats so incredibly much. And yeah, the situation around Vladivostok could do with a bit of improving :p

Ok, I think for semi-hiatus, I'll still try to update regularly, but at every two or three days rather than every other. So I think the next update will be tomorrow, then ;)

Myth said:
Ok, I think for semi-hiatus, I'll still try to update regularly, but at every two or three days rather than every other. So I think the next update will be tomorrow, then ;)
I can live with that. ;)