• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me, your hotfixes behave more like patches... i have to start a new game for everything to be affected... a hotfix is something that patches a current save, fixing those issues as they load from the save. a patch requires starting a new game from scratch. i believe you are misrepresenting your patches as hotfixes... in some cases. perhaps you aren't aware that you released a fully incomplete product - and it would be wise of you to be as humble as possible. thank you for your continued effort... but let's be real and call things as they are, not how you hope they will be. Merry Christmas

Reactions:
When do you fix the school system? It's not possible that in a city with 400.000 citizens there are 70 elementary school all filled continuously! Citizens grow and move to other graduations or not?
There are mods that fix this. Google it. Couple of other ones that make a huge difference as well and they work well.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Tell me how many high schools exist in USA?

In the game, I have to build 12 elementary school versus 1 high school. If elementary schools have no problem, there is definitely a problem with high school.
I think that the issues is that you're thinking of 4 year American high schools. In Sweden, schooling is mandatory through the age of 16. At that point you can chose to go to upper secondary/high school which is 2 years. Given that in the game "high school" is optional vs the US system where it is required through 18 makes me believe it's structured like the Swedish system. Another issue is that it enrolls kids 1 year after birth instead of at age 6. So kids are in elementary for 15 years, high school for 2. Given that not everyone goes to high school, a ratio of 9 or 10 to 1 makes sense.

I hope they fix the age at which kids start school which would bring it down to about 5 or 6 / 1 ratio.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know if it's only me, but rather than having a FPS improvement, I've notice a quality in graphics. I mean, before, LODs have a very bad quality and appeared when you where relative close to assets (for example the cartoon style trees or blurry vehicles even if you were following it), but now, the LODs are correct, the trees look better and of course, there is no those big leaks of quality where all texture where basic and blurry, now they are always clear.

For information, I am playing 1080, High Quality Graphics, with disabled blurry movement and depth of field and I get around 40 - 60 fps constant. I already got this in the past, but of course, with this lack of graphic quality despite having the graphics in high.

Reactions:
Do we really have to rebuild every asset that is broken and updated? This is real pain in larger cities with existing saves...
This opinion is my own, but I think that we must be aware that at some point our saves can be useless or hard to play with a major update or fix. That's because a big change in mechanics can affect the services or way we've designed a city.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
This might end up being a long post, so I'll start with the questions about restarting your city or rebuilding parts of it. The fixes in the patch take effect in existing cities, so you don't have to start a new city. We expect that simulation fixes take a while to take effect - vehicles are already on their way in your existing city, buildings are storing products and have sent out orders, pedestrians have a destination, etc. It takes a while for the existing state to be resolved and the new one to take its place.

For fixes to buildings, like the train station and international airport in this patch, you usually need to replace the specific building. That's because roads and internal paths exist in your save similar to how roads you've placed do. They aren't changed until something prompts them to be, like rebuilding the building.

And now to some questions! :D
I have a few questions:

With this patch, can you give a completion percentage for performance upgrades?

How close are we to focusing on gameplay enhancements that many players here have suggested?

Pedestrian stairs (and associated node/path network) is what we want the most per forum posts - is that being considered as a top priority for implementation in-game?

When do you anticipate the next patch to be released in 2024?
I'm afraid I don't have a percentage for you, but you should see a significant improvement when viewing areas of the city with a lot of pedestrians. As for new features/content, I'm afraid that's currently not a high priority, but we're still collecting feedback for the future. And we don't have a timeline for the next patch, other than next year. I recommend checking in the CO Word of the Week starting up again the 15th of January as we'll share updates there.

My city has ground to a halt with traffic. Even if I reload the original save game (from version 15f), results in the same behaviour but somewhere else. Behaviour only started happening with this update.

Lots of different service vehicles have decided to stop and refuse to despawn. Its mostly Road Service maintenance vehicles all over the map bugging out. Hearses I have also seen seen block intersections when Ive done a reload. Ive attached a save game after the original saved game with time progressed, with multiple instances of this happening, saved game spawn points to one of the service vehicles. View attachment 1062818

Also Bus lanes still dont work and allow all vehicle types to use as shown on this map :(

Have a Merry Christmas Colossal Order :)
Thank you for the save, we'll look into why these get stuck. In the meantime, I recommend bulldozing the road under the stuck vehicles to get them unstuck or to despawn. That should get your traffic going again.

In general, it's always best to report issues on the dedicated bug report forum as we often need more information, and it gets messy quickly keeping track of 5-10 issues in a thread like this one.

Is there a roadmap for CPU performance improvements? Even while paused the game pins all cores to 60%. While unpaused, every core is maxed. The game almost keeps up at 1x simulation speed but isn't close to playable at 2x/4x. I have a decently sized city (180k pop) but I don't think this is a reasonable limit.

The spam system isn't letting me include the name of my CPU, but it has 10 cores and should be more than capable of doing better here.
I'm afraid we don't have a roadmap to share at this point, but improvements to the CPU performance are high on our to-do list. The closest to a roadmap we have currently is the updates we share in CO Word of the Week.

Dont see the fix of land value and still the issue ingame .... so not fixed ?
We're looking into the situation with land value, but I'm afraid we don't have anything specific to share yet. We'll of course keep you updated when there's news to share.

Really liking the new lane changing behaviour. Much smoother! Now question is if the AI is smart enough. Still seeing a bit of ridiculous lane changes every here and there.
That's great to hear, thank you for sharing! And as always, if you run into situations where the traffic is behaving weirdly or causing trouble in your city, we would very much appreciate a save with the camera pointed directly at the problem area/vehicle(s).

Thanks for the huge yummy patch!

But before you go to your holidays, could you please elaborate a bit what's exactly been done with traffic and lane changing behaviour? The whole traffic AI seems to be a big black box for many users and some detailed information would help a lot building an efficient road layout.
Could you elaborate on what details specifically you would find helpful? Or point me to any discussions that cover that. We covered the basics of how traffic picks a route through the city in one of the first development diaries, so I'm curious about what you would hope to see elaborated on and especially get a sense of how technical you'd hope the information to be.

So, anybody else is enjoing taxes like -200 mio now? Had to set taxes at zero level for food. Because they become -200 mio being +12%. If I set -10%, thet pay me +170 mio. And then switch back paying -200... And so on... So, had to set it zero.
If you haven't already, please make a report about this on our bug forum and attach the save there, so we can look into what's happening.

Thanks for the hard work @co_avanya ! Please relay this to the team that made it possible!

Also: I’ve been wondering whether CO could post a list of low priority updates or improvements that are planned but are deprioritized in the short term.

One example is the grass decal or texture within assets. These textures don’t collect snow presently. Is that something that will eventually be addressed? Similar thoughts on vehicles being overly covered.

It’d be great to have a sense of clarity and a commitment from CO to address these items (whatever they are).

Overtime items get crossed off and we can feel good and observe the progress that was made.

Just a crazy idea. Enjoy your holiday and time away from the office.
Thank you for the kind words, I'll be sure to share them with the rest of the team. :D

When we talk about something that's planned for the game, it's usually something we have a (at least rough) timeline for when we'll work on it. Besides that, we have a long list of "things that would be cool to have/improve" that we wouldn't consider "planned". These are the things we might look at for future expansions or free updates, but as we don't have a timeline for them, we generally avoid discussing them. We rarely talk about these things to avoid the expectation that they're coming or coming soon.

Snow visuals are a good example. It's something we want to improve, but at this time it isn't a high enough priority for us to have a sense of when we'd get to realize those improvements.

There are approximately 331,900,000 citizens in the USA and 87,498 elementary schools, or 3793 citizens per elementary school. If your city of 400,000 citizens had similar demographics as the USA and similar number of citizens per elementary school, I would expect you to need 105 elementary schools.

I know this is just a game, but I don't think the number of schools is the problem- rather, the problem might be our altered expectations based on how CS1 worked.
Don't know where you are getting your statistics, but the average size of an elementary school is the US is 473 per Google:
1702650292452.png

Don't know where you are getting your statistics, but the average size of an elementary school is the US is 473 per Google:View attachment 1063234
@techtoolie: Your statistics and those provided by @joshshua are not incompatible. Aside from the total number of elementary schools you cite being different (67,291 vs. 87,498), it is apparent that it takes in the neighborhood of 3,793 citizens to have an elementary school population in the neighborhood of 473, which would require the elementary school-age population to be about 12.5% of the total population, which makes sense.

Last edited:
A few things that happened almost immediately to my 500k pop city after updating to 1.0.18f :

1) my power grid almost completely collapsed. There were several power stations / incinerators that no longer were able to produce enough power, and several (20+) junctions that were bottlenecks. I had an excess of power overall, so I had to draw a bunch of power lines and connections to fix it.
2) My unemployment rate went from a carefully cultivated 4% to 20+%. I panic built commercial and industrial, and it eventually dropped to where I wanted it.
3) My office demand went from 100% full-time maxed to 0%. They won’t build low or high office space anymore.
4) The population went from ~10k moving in / 1k moving out to 8k moving in / 5k moving out. This may be related to #2, but that is a hugely significant swing.

Anyone else?

Edit:
5) Concrete was being taxed at $-168,000,000. I adjusted the sliders and it fixed itself.
6) Whereas I had 5-10 "high resource cost" badges across my entire city before. I now have several hundred.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A few things that happened almost immediately to my 500k pop city after updating to 1.0.18f :

1) my power grid almost completely collapsed. There were several power stations / incinerators that no longer were able to produce enough power, and several (20+) junctions that were bottlenecks. I had an excess of power overall, so I had to draw a bunch of power lines and connections to fix it.
2) My unemployment rate went from a carefully cultivated 4% to 20+%. I panic built commercial and industrial, and it eventually dropped to where I wanted it.
3) My office demand went from 100% full-time maxed to 0%. They won’t build low or high office space anymore.
4) The population went from ~10k moving in / 1k moving out to 8k moving in / 5k moving out. This may be related to #2, but that is a hugely significant swing.

Anyone else?

Edit:
5) Concrete was being taxed at $-168,000,000. I adjusted the sliders and it fixed itself.
6) Whereas I had 5-10 "high resource cost" badges across my entire city before. I now have several hundred.
ad 5) that's a new bug reported in several posts, best explained here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/overflow-bug-on-high-taxes.1617300/

I don't know if it's only me, but rather than having a FPS improvement, I've notice a quality in graphics. I mean, before, LODs have a very bad quality and appeared when you where relative close to assets (for example the cartoon style trees or blurry vehicles even if you were following it), but now, the LODs are correct, the trees look better and of course, there is no those big leaks of quality where all texture where basic and blurry, now they are always clear.

For information, I am playing 1080, High Quality Graphics, with disabled blurry movement and depth of field and I get around 40 - 60 fps constant. I already got this in the past, but of course, with this lack of graphic quality despite having the graphics in high.

Haven't measured performance, but I have noticed that the "cycling" between low and high resolution textures is almost gone for me. Could be related to this performance improvement in the patch: "Decreased Virtual Texturing pressure with assets that don't use emissive maps". Emissive maps here probably refers to textures that appear lit-up (like windows), so maybe this patch manages memory better in relation to textures that don't "glow". But that's just my interpretation, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Snow visuals are a good example. It's something we want to improve, but at this time it isn't a high enough priority for us to have a sense of when we'd get to realize those improvements.

I really hope this will be coming in the future though. Skylines 1 has perfect snow placement on all assets and it also had grass when zoomed in on maps and assets.

Because these things are basically visible on all maps and every asset they are a huge regression visually from Skylines 1 and every other city building game out there. This applies also to farm and industry textures, which where higher quality in CS1.

While every aspect of Skylines 2 improves on the visuals from assets, pedestrians, vehicles, lighting and weather, that ground textures are so bad was the first thing I noticed when I booted up the game first and I always thought this was a bug or something that wasn't ready yet but would be patched soon after release.

Reactions:
Could you elaborate on what details specifically you would find helpful? Or point me to any discussions that cover that. We covered the basics of how traffic picks a route through the city in one of the first development diaries, so I'm curious about what you would hope to see elaborated on and especially get a sense of how technical you'd hope the information to be.

I understand you just want more information to go off of, but it's really unfortunate how often someone gets a reply, and that reply is "Please restate the question".

Why not simply give some information? If it's not the right kind, we'll tell you. I don't really get how "Hey, can you tell us what SPECIFICALLY changed?" is too vague of a question. They want to know what's different between then and now. It's not a very complicated question. The answer may be complicated, but we WANT complicated answers.

Something was different before than it is now. What's that something?

"We reworked a little bit how driving AI works" = no information, whatsoever

"We made it so cars can choose to lane change within a certain range of a node instead of just at nodes and will try to read their intended path ahead of time better, allowing them to change lanes 2 or 3 nodes before their turn instead of at the last second" = Absolutely wonderful level of informative detail that makes it easy to see and digest what specifically changed.

Patch notes like "We changed how X works" mean nothing, they may as well not even be included. We can't possibly be expected to process what the difference is with absolutely no information on what changed, right?

• 2Like
Reactions: